The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FIC: Building a Family
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 8:49 pm 
Hey all. I have decided to post this and let you guys have a crack at it. For some reason this started out a responce to the second fic challenge and then morphed into the beganing of a story idea I've had for some time. That's why you'll find mention of Kermit shaped Pez dispensers and fortune cookies. Anyway I'm putting this up here unfinished because... well because it's not finished and also because I want to know if you all think it's actually worth finishing. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Spoilers: The first part is set roughly 20 years in the future. I will go back and explaine things as the fic goes on. For now all you need to know is Will and Tara are together and Dawn exhists, but no key or dead Buffy stuff cause I'm writing this and that's the way I want it.

RaitingG for now. I don't know about later.

Feedback: Please please please. Really tell me what you think. I will be gone until Sunday night but I will be back to see what you all think.

Okay that's it for now, enjoy the story.

Building a Familly

LB

“Hello, anyone home,” a familiar voice called out.

“In here,” came the reply from the kitchen.

A young redheaded girl of about nineteen stepped quickly through the open front door, dragging a tall blond boy

behind her. She pulled him down the entryway, through a door on the left. She smiled brightly when she entered

the kitchen, and spotted a blond woman chopping vegetables by the stove. “Ah,” she said drawing in a huge breath,

“something smells good.”

The blond looked up from the carrot she was slicing, and gave the girl a bright smile. “Oh Lily, you made it,” she

said as she stepped towards the redhead. Eyeing the girls companion she added, “And you brought someone with

you.”

The girl smiled in response, and gave the hand she held a little squeeze. The blond woman held her arms open for

the girl. “Come give your Tara mommy a hug,” she teased.

The girl blushed profusely, and did as she was told. She stepped into the woman’s embrace and gave her a hearty

hug. “It’s good to be home,” she sighed.

The woman pulled back slightly and gave the girl a good look. “It’s good to have you home, little one,” she paused

giving the girl a once over. Finally she brushed her hands over the girl’s hair and added, “You cut your hair. It

looks good. Your mother’s going to love it.”

The girl ran her hands through her hair and blushed again. “Thanks,” she said softly.

Gesturing towards the young man who had come in with her she announced, “This is Brian. He’s uh my

boyfriend.”

Tara looked at her, her eyebrows raised in question. Then she turned towards the young man and offered her hand.

He shook it nervously and introduced himself, “Mrs. McKlay, it’s a pleasure to meet you.”

Tara shook his hand and gave him a gentle smile. “It’s a pleasure to meet you as well Brian,” she returned kindly.

“But please, call me Tara.”

“Uh y-yes ma’am,” he stammered.

She shot him a look of warning. “I-I mean, yes Tara.”

She gave him a smile of approval then turned back to face the stove. Lily chuckled lightly at the scene and then

stepped over to stand by Tara. She reached around Tara and grabbed at a piece of carrot from the cutting board.

Tara swiped at her hand with a spoon. “Ah get out of there,” she said lightheartedly. “You’re just like your mother,

always into my food.”

Lily gave her a goofy smile, and popped the carrot into her mouth. “Who knew genetics would determine ones

sneaking ability,” she joked after swallowing the carrot. “Where is my aforementioned genetic donor by the way?”

Tara was about to answer when a door just off the kitchen opened, and a tiny blond woman stepped through. “Hey

Tar, who’s car...” she started to say before she stepped fully into the room and noticed the guests.

She looked up at the young girl and smiled brightly. “Lil?”

Lily left Tara’s side instantly and made her way over to the newcomer. “Aunt Buffy,” she said enthusiastically,

“it’s so good to see you.”

Buffy reached out and pulled the girl into a hug. “You too kiddo,” she answered brightly. “You cut your hair. It

looks fabulous. Your mom’s gonna love it.”

Lily laughed into her shoulder. “Tara said the same thing.”

“Well, great minds,” Buffy replied lightly.

Lily laughed again. Buffy peered over the redhead’s shoulder and took in the young man standing there in

discomfort. “And I see you brought along company,” she added nodding towards the young man.

Lily puled back and gave Buffy a smile. Turning towards Brian she stated, “This is Brian McAlester, my boyfriend.

Brian, this is my Aunt Buffy. Well she’s not really my aunt but she’s known me since before I was born, and she’s

been Mom’s best friend for years before that. And she changed my diapers so I guess that qualifies...”

“Amazing, Willow babble must be a genetic thing,” Buffy interrupted with a laugh.

Tara gave her a wry smile and added, “Among other things.”

Lily blushed again. Buffy looked at her face and laughingly added, “Yeah, like the blushing.”

“Okay,” Lily replied, “enough is enough.”

Both Tara and Buffy laughed. Buffy moved towards the young man and held out her hand. “ Brian is it?”

He nodded his head and took her hand to shake it. “Well Brian,” Buffy continued before he could speak, “nice to

meet you. Now, who are you, what do you do, and what are your intentions towards junior here?”

Brian looked petrified. He visibly gulped and withered under her gaze. Tara had to cover her mouth to keep from

laughing out loud. Lily looked on in mild amusement as well. Before she could jump in and say anything to help

him a voice called out from the door way, “Oh leave the poor guy alone.”

Everyone in the room turned to look in the direction of the voice. Standing in the doorway was a tall woman with

light brown hair. She had one hand clutching the hand of a small five year old girl and the other resting over her

very pregnant stomach. Buffy stuck her tongue out at the visitor and shot back, “Little sisters humph, always

ruining my fun.”

Dawn stuck her tongue out in response as she stepped further into the kitchen. “The door was open,” she explained

walking over to greet Tara.

Tara waved her hand in dismissal. She leaned over and gave Dawn a peck on the cheek and a pat on her belly. “Hi

Dawnie. How are feeling.”

“Like I’m going to explode,” Dawn answered with a smile.

“I wonder why,” Buffy joked. “I wouldn’t get to close to the stove there, wouldn’t want you to pop like popcorn.”

“Funny,” Dawn shot back.

The little girl that was holding her hand broke free and took off for Buffy. She flung her self into Buffy’s arms and

began to talk excitedly. “Aunt Buffy hi. Guess what I did at camp today. We made story books. It was so much fun,

I even got to draw my own pictures. And the art teacher said mine was very good. That I could be a artist one day,

just like Picc... Picc.”

“Piccasso,” Buffy said gently as she scooped the girl into her arms.

“Yeah, that’s it,” the little girl answered happily.

“Well,” Buffy told the girl, “you’ll just have to show me those pictures sometime so I can see for myself.”

The girl beamed with excitement, and squeezed Buffy in a tight hug. “Cool.”

“But not right now Bug, cause we’ve got company,” Buffy told the girl quickly.

She squirmed in Buffy’s arm to get a look, while she asked, “Who?”

Before Buffy could answer Lily spoke up. “How ‘bout me squirt? Will I do for company?”

The girl struggled to free herself from Buffy’s arms and shot towards Lily. “Lily,” she screamed, “you’re home.

Yay! Are you home forever now?”

Lily scooped the girl up into her arms and gave her a big hug. She smiled down at the little girl in her arms and

answered, “Yes, I’m home, but it’s only for a few days and then I have to go back to school.”

The girl looked upset at the answer. “But it summer,” she whined. “You don’t have to go back, you can stay here

and go to day camp with me. And then when it’s time for school again you could come to school with me. That

way you don’t have to be away from everybody.”

Everyone in the room laughed quietly at the statement. “I’m sorry squirt,” Lily answered. “As fun as that sounds I

still have to go back to my school.”

The girl buried her face in Lily’s shoulder and pouted. “That’s not fair,” she whined again. “I want you to stay

with me, not go back to your yucky school.”

Dawn frowned at the display and said, “Joyce Ann Kent stop whining this instant.”

The girl looked at her mother and pouted. “Sorry Mommy.”

Lily gave the girl a reassuring smile. “I did bring you a present though,” she said brightly.

“A present,” little Joyce squealed, “cool! Can I have it now?”

“Joy,” Dawn warned, “don’t be rude.”

Joy scowled in response, but the prospect of a present brought her smile back quickly. The adults in the room all

laughed. Lily turned towards her boyfriend and asked, “Bri could you get my bookbag for me? It’s in the back seat

of the car.”

“No problem,” Brian replied easily. “I’ll be right back.” He gave her a small smile and headed out to the car.

Joy watched him leave and then turned back to Lily. “Who’s he?”

“That’s Brian,” Lilly told her. “He’s my boyfriend.”

“What does he do?” the little girl asked.

Lily noticed that the other women in the room were looking on eagerly. “Well,” she said quickly, “he goes to

school. Just like me. He studies computers like my mom.”

“Oh,” Joy said, sounding slightly disappointed. “Is that why you’re going to school? To get a boyfriend?”

The ladies in the room all had to cover their mouths to stifle their laughter. Lily blushed bright red again. “No

squirt that’s not why I’m going to school. It’s just one of the extra benefits I get from it.”

Joy didn’t look to pleased with that answer. “Okay. But what does a boyfriend do?”

“Well,” Lily said with a slight chuckle, “all sorts of things. He buys me stuff, gives me flowers, we go out to movies

or for dinner. Mostly we hang out and talk.”

“Oh,” Joy said brightly, “that sounds fun. Can he be my boyfriend too.”

Everyone cracked up again. Brian, coming in on the tail end of the conversation walked over and told Joy, “I would

be honored to be your boyfriend. But we should get to know each other first.”

Joy flashed a big smile and exclaimed, “Yay!”

Lily set the girl down and reached to take her bag from Brian. “But you’ve got to leave the kissing part to me,” she

told the little girl.

Joy wrinkled her nose in disgust. “Ew. No problem. Kissing boys is yucky.”

Everyone cracked up again. “You’re a Summers woman Bug,” Buffy joked. “You wont feel that way for very

long.”

They all laughed again and Buffy and Dawn shared a knowing look. Lily reached into her bag and pulled out a

small plastic bag. She knelt down in front of Joy and pulled a small Fozzy Bear Beenie Baby. “I saw this in the

window of a toy store and thought you might like it,” she explained. “I know Kermit is your favorite. But you

already have so many Kermit dolls though that I thought you might like this one instead.”

Joy grabbed the doll and hugged it to her chest. “Thank you Lily,” she beamed. “This is cool. You’re cool.”

Lily smiled and ruffled the girls hair. Reaching into the plastic bag again she announced, “Brian got you

something too squirt.”

“Oh you didn’t have to,” Dawn told him from across the kitchen.

“I wanted to,” Brian told her. “Besides it’s nothing big.”

Dawn just smiled and they all turned to see what Lily pulled out of the bag. It was a small plastic yellow tube with

a little green plastic frog head on top. “What’s that,” Joy asked.

“It’s a Kermit Pez dispenser,” Lily answered. She flicked the head back and explained, “You’re supposed to put

these little candies called Pez inside here. And when you bend back the head one comes out. I told Brian how much

you like Kermit so he got it for you. And he knows where to get the candies from, so I’m sure if you ask nicely

he’ll get you some.”

“Hey neat,” Buffy said from over her shoulder. “I didn’t know they still made Pez.”

“Yeah,” Brian said with an embarrassed smile, “they still do. My dad and I kind of have a mini collection going.

The old guy who runs the little toy shop by campus has a whole bunch in the back. I found this one when I was

looking through them and thought maybe she would like it.”

“Thank you,” Dawn said warmly.

Joy threw herself at him and wrapped her tiny arms around his legs. “Thank you Brian. You are a very good

boyfriend.”

The ladies laughed. “And you’ve just made a friend for life,” Dawn told him with a smile.

He looked down and patted Joy on the head. “No problem kiddo.”

They all laughed again until Dawn gave a little startled gasp. “Baby kicking again,” Buffy asked her sister in

concern.

Dawn gave her a wry grin. “When is he not kicking,” she joked. “I think the little guy is hungry.”

“Oh!” Tara blurted out in response to Dawn’s words, “I almost forgot.”

She rushed around Dawn and pulled open the refrigerator door. Everyone else in the room shared confused

glances. After a few moments of rooting around Tara pulled out a large glass platter. One half was filled with

sliced carrots, celery and small tomatoes. The other with assorted crackers and slices of cheese. With a small bowl

of dip in the middle. “I’m such a forgetful host,” Tara proclaimed. “Does any body want something to drink?”

“Jeez Tara,” Buffy joked. “You’re such a bad host.”

“Oh hush,” Tara replied.

Buffy and Dawn both reached over to snag some veggies. “Not that this isn’t great,” Buffy mumbled around a

carrot stick, “but when are we gonna have dinner.”

Tara considered her answer. “Well Xander, Anya and the girls should be here,” she paused to look at her watch,

“in about a half an hour. The rice is already cooked and I’ve got the veggies ready to stir fry and the meat ready to

grill. It should only take about forty-five minutes once the grill is hot. I suppose I should have Willow warm it up.”

She moved over to the house intercom. “I’ll go up and get her,” Lily offered, before Tara could make the call. “I

want to surprise her. She’s in her office right?”

“Where else would she be,” Tara said with a smile. “Thanks honey.”

“No problem,” Lily said with a smile. She scooped Joy into her arms and settled her on her back. “Wanna come

with me squirt, we can give Auntie Willow a big surprise?”

“Okay,” Joy replied with a giggle, and they both made their way out the kitchen and upstairs to Willow’s office.

“Buffy,” Tara asked turning towards the smaller blond, “could you go down and grab some wine to go with

dinner?”

“Sure,” Buffy replied. “Red or white? And how many bottles?”

“Red,” Tara said with certainty. “There’s going to be eleven adults I think, so why don’t we start with five bottles.”

“Okay,” Buffy replied.

“Brian,” Tara suggested, “why don’t you go with her and help her bring those up?”

“Yeah Bri,” Buffy added, slinging an arm around his shoulder. “That way we can get to know each other better.”

“Okay,” Brian answered, his voice cracking from nerves.

“Go easy on him,” Dawn called out as they made their way down the steps into the basement.

“Who me,” Buffy asked in mock innocence.

The three ladies laughed and Brian gulped in fear. “Oh Buffy,” Tara called out, before they disappeared from sight.

“You need to keep it down. Spike’s sleeping in the guestroom down there. His flight got in early this morning.”

“Don’t wake the big bad,” Buffy called over her shoulder. “Got it.”

Tara watched them disappear down the stairs then turned to Dawn and asked about new goings on. Upstairs Lily

quietly set Joy down outside the door of Willow’s office. “Wanna go in and surprise her,” Lily asked the girl

quietly.

When Joy nodded Lily leaned over and whispered the plan into her ear. “Okay,” she asked.

“Uh huh,” Joy responded with a big smile.

Lily scooted out of the doorway and watched as Joy knocked. “ Come in,” was the faint reply from the other side.

Joy reached up and turned the knob. She pushed open the door and made her way inside. Willow was sitting at her

desk having a conversation with a person through her computer screen. “Hey Miss Joy,” Willow said when she

noticed the girl.

Joy rushed over to give Willow a hug. “Hi Auntie Will. Whatcha doing?”

Willow scooped the girl up and settled her in her lap. “Just talking to Giles,” she answered, pointing to the

computer screen.

“Grandpa Giles,” Joy said excitedly. “When are you coming to visit me again.”

“Hello Joyce,” Giles said kindly. “Willow and I were just planing my next visit.”

“Yay,” Joy beamed.

“Do you girls have something going on tonight,” Giles asked Willow.

“We’re having people over, just the Sunnydale crew and Xander and the fam. Angel, Cordy and Faith are coming

down tomorrow just like everyone else,” Willow answered with a grin. “Tara’s doing a Chinese slash Teriaki

bar-b-q thing. You know how she is with her theme cooking thing. I think she even got fortune cookies for desert.”

“Sounds interesting,” Giles deadpanned. “So is everything set for tomorrow? Someone will be there to pick me up

right?”

Willow laughed. “Yes someone will be there. Don’t worry about it Giles, I’ve got everything under control. Do you

honestly think Ira and Sheila Rosenburg’s daughter wouldn’t have planed this whole thing within an inch of her

life?”

“Yes well then,” Giles stammered. “I suppose you’re right. You’ve got it all under control. I guess I’ll see you

tomorrow.”

“You betcha,” Willow responded with a grin. “Talk to you later Giles.”

“Bye Grandpa Giles,” Joy added.

“Ah yes uh goodbye dear, Willow,” he said before logging off.

“Sheesh,” Willow joked. “What a worry wart, huh?”

Joy giggled in response. Willow gave her a little tickle. “So what are you doing up here huh little miss?”

“I brought you a surprise Aunt Will,” the girl told her excitedly.

“Oh a surprise,” Willow responded. “Well then lay it on me kid.”

“Noooo,” Joy protested. “You have to close your eyes first.”

Willow gave an exaggerated sigh. “Okay if I must.”

Joy waited until Willow’s eyes were closed, and then she made her way out the door towards Lily. “Okay,” she

whispered, “you can come in now.”

Lily stepped through the door and silently made her way towards her mother. Willow growing impatient asked,

“Can I open my eyes yet?”

“Yes,” Lily said around a laugh, “you can open your eyes.”

Willow’s eyes shot open and she let out a little gasp. “Lily? Honey?”

Lily smiled brightly and moved towards her mother. Willow shot out of her chair and met her half way, pulling the

younger girl into a tight embrace. “Oh baby,” she gushed, “it’s so good to have you home. I’m so glad you’re here.

I’ve missed you so much. When did you get here? How did you get here? I thought you wouldn’t be able to make it

until tomorrow morning.”

“Mom,” Lily gasped, “oxygen becoming an issue.”

Embarrassed, Willow released her. “Sorry honey.”

Laughing, Lilly replied, “Don’t worry about it. I’ve missed you too. And Brain and I just got here. I’ve been

downstairs chatting with the ladies.”

“Oh,” Willow said brightly. “You brought Brian with you? But how? I didn’t think you’d be here until tomorrow. I

thought you had a class this afternoon.”

“Brian brought me actually,” Lily explained. “And I did have a class but Professor Kim had mercy on me and let

me go early.”

“Summer session is always lighter on the rules,” Willow responded knowingly.

“But not the workload,” Lily deadpanned.

“I’m sure you can handle it,” Willow told her with a smile.

“Of course I can,” Lily told her confidently. “I am your daughter after all.”

“You are?” Willow joked in mock confusion. “Oh that’s right. Now it’s coming back to me, twenty-two hours of

labor and nearly twenty difficult years of raising you. Yep you’re definitely mine.”

“Well what can I say,” Lily replied solemnly. “I was contrary from the start, and I never got any better.”

Willow leaned over and gave the younger girl a peck on the cheek. “And I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

Lily gave her mother a tender smile and pulled her in for a brief hug. “I love you too Mom.”

“What about me,” a little voice asked from the doorway.

Pulling away from Willow, Lily turned towards Joy and said, “You too squirt.”

Joy giggled and raced into Lily’s arms. Willow watched with a contented smile as Lily tickled the little girl, both

were laughing and having a good time. “Oh,” she said in slight alarm.

Lily stopped tickling Joy and asked, “What’s the matter?”

“You cut your hair,” Willow said excitedly.

Lily ran her hands through her hair self consciously. “I love it,” Willow beamed. “You look fantastic.”

Lily laughed at her comments. “What,” Willow asked in confusion.

“It’s nothing,” Lily responded.

Willow didn’t look like she bought that explanation. “It’s just,” Lily continued, “both Tara and Aunt Buffy said

you’d say the exact same thing.”

“Well that’s me,” Willow said with a laugh, “good old predictable Willow.”

“You’re not that old Mom,” Lily said with an exaggerated sigh. “And as far as predictable, well they have known

you for at least half of your life.”

Willow gave her a small smile. “Thanks honey.”

“We should probably go down there though,” Lily added. “Tara sent me up here to get you so you could go down

and set up the grill. I think Aunt Buffy’s getting hungry.”

“Slayer’s metabolism,” Willow replied as she moved over to shut down her computer. “Even after all theses years

she eats like a horse and still looks good in leather pants. Faith’s the same way too. It’s enough to drive a normal

person insane.”

Lily laughed as she scooped Joy into her arms and they made their way out of Willow’s office. “So you’ve seen

Aunt Faith recently?”

“Well,” Willow answered with a smirk. She reached over and covered Joy’s ears before continuing, “She’s been

busy with Angel, but she’s been coming down here a lot lately. I think it’s because Buffy likes the fact that Faith

still looks good in leather pants.”

Lily laughed. “Finally.”

“Hey,” Joy squealed. She wiggled out of Willow’s reach. “I can’t hear what’s going on.”

“That was the idea squirt,” Lily told her, as they made their way downstairs.

Joy stuck her tongue in response and then turned to Willow. “Hey Aunt Willow Lily brought her boyfriend. And

he’s really nice. He brought me a present and said he was going to be my boyfriend too. Only with out the yucky

kissing. Isn’t that neat?”

“That’s very neat,” Willow told the little girl. “What kind of present did he bring you?”

“It’s a thing for carrying little candies,” Joy told her. “I forgot the name, but its got Kermit on the top of it.”

“It’s a Pez dispenser,” Lily supplied.

“Yeah a Pez dispenser,” Joy repeated. “And Brian knows where to get the candies, if my Mom will let me have

some.”

“Sounds like a good deal to me,” Willow told her as they reached the kitchen.

Willow made her way over to Tara and gave her a quick peck on the lips. “Hey honey. Lily mentioned something

about a grill.” Looking over Tara’s shoulder she added, “Hey Dawn. How are you doing?”

Dawn gave a little wave of hello as she stuffed a carrot stick into her mouth. Smiling Tara stated, “She’s a little

hungry I think. Which is why I had Lily go up and get you. I’m ready for you to start cooking the meat. I just need

you to warm up the grill.”

“Are you sure,” Willow asked her. “Xander and Anya are not even here yet.”

“Yes honey, I’m sure,” Tara replied. “They should be here any minute now. It’s almost five-thirty.”

“Really,” Willow said in amazement. “Man I must have lost track of time. I guess I just got caught up with work

stuff.”

“I have no idea how that could have happened,” Tara joked.

Willow gave her a playful swat on the arm. “Watch it missy,” she warned.

Tara gave her a ‘who me’ look that was ruined by the smile tugging at the corners of her mouth. “Every body’s a

comedian,” Willow mumbled as she made her way outside to the patio.

“That’s not nice,” Dawn said through her laughter. “I’m sure Willow’s workload’s been horrendous since I left for

maternity leave.”

Tara gave the other girl a small smile. “Your maternity leave’s got nothing to do with it Dawnie. Willow’s just a

workaholic.”

From across the room Lily, who was sitting with Joy, agreed. “I’ll second that.”

“Second what?” Buffy asked from the doorway.

She and Brian entered with three bottles of wine each.

“Just set those over here,” Tara told them. “We were just discussing Willow’s work habits.”

Buffy said nothing, just simply raised a questioning eyebrow. “Lily and I,” Tara continued, “were trying to

reassure Dawn that Willow’s long hours had nothing to do with her maternity leave and everything to do with

Willow’s workaholic nature.”

Buffy leaned over to snatch another carrot stick. “ Oh absolutely,” she stated, before taking a bite of carrot. “Will is

a total workaholic. She always has been. Even in high school. It’s part of her charm.”

“Thanks,” came the dry response from the doorway. “I leave the room for two seconds and you’re all are pointing

out my short comings.”

“Not short comings honey,” Tara said with a smirk. “More like eccentricities.”

Willow stepped over to Tara and gave her a mischievous smile. “So your saying you think I’m insane?”

“Not insane,” Tara responded with a sly grin. “I said quirky. Remember?”

Willow responded by leaning in for a scorching kiss that had Tara softly sighing, Dawn and Buffy clapping in

admiration and Lily rolling her eyes in embarrassment. “Oh man,” Joy said from Lily’s lap. “They’re mushing

again? They mush more than Mommy and Daddy.”

Everyone in the room burst into laughter, including Willow and a slightly blushing Tara, who had ended their kiss

after hearing Joy’s comments. “Well little miss,” Willow told the little girl, “I can kiss my wife if I want to. It’s my

house so I can do what I want.”

“I know,” Joy argued, “but you guys are always kissing. Don’t you ever get tired of it?”

Willow turned from the little girl and gave Tara a tender look. “Never,” she whispered, looking deeply into Tara’s

beautiful blue eyes.

“Oh brother,” Lily said from the other side of the room, interrupting their romantic moment. “Here they go again.”

Tara gave Willow a little kiss on the forehead and then pulled her into a tight embrace. “You,” she said to Lily

over Willow’s shoulder, “stop giving your mother such a hard time.”

“Yeah,” Willow added, her voice slightly muffled against Tara’s shoulder.

Buffy and Dawn laughed and Lily gave a little pout. Brian walked over and put his hand on her shoulder. “Be

nice,” he said with a smile.

As soon as Willow heard his voice she pulled out of Tara’s arms and turned to face him. “You must be Brian.”

Brian dropped his hand from Lily’s shoulder and stepped over to greet Willow. “Uh yes ma’am,” he replied

nervously. “It’s nice to meet you Mrs. Rosenburg.”

From the other side of the counter Buffy joked, “Here comes the interrogation.”

Willow turned and shot her a dirty look. Buffy just laughed in response. She turned back to Brian and smiled.

“You can call me Willow,” she told him. “We’re not that formal around here.”

“Uh o-okay,” he stammered.

Taking pity on the guy she told him, “Relax, I wont hurt you.”

Brian let out a little sigh of relief. “At least not until I get to know you,” Willow added.

He tensed again until she told him, “I’m just kidding. Relax it was just a joke.”

“Okay,” he said sounding a little unsure.

“My daughter tells me you’re into computers,” she told him.

“Yes ma’am,” he answered quickly. “I mean yes Willow.”

“That’s good,” Willow replied with a smile. “Any particular area of study?”

“Mostly programming,” he told her. “Focused mainly on artificial intelligence. I’ve been working on a project with

one of my advisers.”

Willow gave him an approving glance. “A. I. That’s pretty impressive for an undergrad. What level of reasoning

are you shooting for?”

“Uh Willow, honey,” Tara interrupted.

Willow looked up at her, eyebrows raised in question. “Hmm?”

“Dinner,” Tara answered pointing to a dish containing the food that was to be grilled.

“Oh yeah sure thing honey.” She reached over and grabbed the dish. “Why don’t you join me outside Brian, and

we can continue the conversation.”

Brian nodded his agreement and the two of them made their way out towards the patio, conversing the whole time.

“I’m going to go with Brian and Aunt Will,” Joy announced, springing out of Lily’s lap.

“Stay out of trouble,” Dawn told her. “ And don’t pester them to much okay.”

“Okay Mommy,” the little girl called over her shoulder, as she took off after the other two.

“You picked a good one kiddo,” Buffy told Lily. “ He’s in good with that whole computer thing, Wills is eating it

up. Brilliant move”

Lily blushed. “He’s very nice,” Tara said, to reassure her.

Lily gave her a grateful smile. “Thanks.”

“And he’s not hard on the eyes either,” Dawn added with a grin.

Tara and Buffy laughed and Lily looked slightly mortified. “Watch it little sister,” Buffy joked. “Your a married

woman. Besides he’s a little to young for you.”

“Doesn’t mean I can’t look,” Dawn shot back.

“Where is Steve,” Lily asked, trying to change the subject.

The three older women smiled at the tactic, but let her off the hook. “He’s working the four to ten shift at the

station,” Dawn told her. “So he can have tomorrow off for the big party.”

“Oh,” Lily replied quietly.

“Is he working on any big cases,” Buffy asked her sister.

Before Dawn could answer the doorbell rang. “That’s probably Xander,” Tara remarked.

“I’ll get it,” Lily offered.

Tara gave her a grateful smile. “Thanks honey.”

“No problem,” Lily called over her shoulder, as she made her way to the front door.

She opened the door and came face to face with Xander, Anya, three strawberry blond girls between the ages of

fourteen and eight and one very frustrated former slayer.

“Hi everybody,” she said, sounding slightly startled.

Xander ushered Anya and the girls through the door. “ Hey Lily,” he said cheerfully as he crushed her in a bear

hug. “Man every time I see you, you look more and more grown up.”

“That would be the idea Xand-man,” Faith quipped from the doorway.

Xander scowled at her and Lily smiled at their antics. “It’s good to see you Uncle Xander.”

“It’s good to be seen,” he joked. “Where is everybody?”

“The ladies are in the kitchen,” she answered with a laugh. “Mom and the squirt are on the patio manning the

bar-b-q with Brian.”

“Who’s Brian?” Xander asked.

“He’s my boyfriend,” Lily answered with a blush.

“Boyfriend,” Anya remarked, her eyebrow raised in curiosity. She moved over to give Lily a quick hug. “You have

to tell me all about him.”

Lily blushed again. “Take it easy Anya,” Faith jumped in. She shot Lily a quick smile, then added, “Give Red

junior a break we just got here.”

Lily flashed Faith a grateful smile. Eyeing the large pile of luggage the brought with them she addressed Xander

and Anya, “Um I think Tara has the two downstairs guestrooms set up for you guys if you want to stash your stuff.”

“I’m going to go catch up with Will out on the patio,” Xander told her. “If that’s all right with you An?”

“Yes go interrogate the new boyfriend,” Anya told him with a smile. “ Make sure he’s not evil.” Turning to Lily

she added, “I’ll have the girls help me with this stuff and meet you in the kitchen.”

Lily nodded in silent mortification and watched as Anya herded her daughters towards the downstairs bedrooms.

She gave a sigh of relief when they were gone. Hearing her, Faith commented, “You don’t know the half of kid.

Try being in the car with them for three hours.”

Cracking a wide smile, Lily stepped over and gave Faith a big hug. “It’s good to see you Aunt Faith.”

“It’s good to see you too Junior,” Faith replied with a smile. “But can you can it with the Aunt Faith stuff? It makes

me feel old.”

Pulling out of the hug, but slipping her hand around Faith’s waist Lily replied, “What ever you want... Aunt

Faith.”

Faith dropped her hand over Lily’s shoulder as they made their way into the kitchen. “Smart ass.”

“You betcha,” Lily shot back with a laugh.

They were both laughing as they made it into the kitchen. “Was it Xander at the door,” Tara asked from the stove.

“And then some,” Faith said with a smile.

Tara turned from what she was doing and greeted Faith. “ Oh Faith, we didn’t think you were coming tonight.

What a wonderful surprise.”

“Heya Blondie,” Faith said as she walked over to give Tara a hug.

She pulled out of Tara’s hug and addressed the other two women in the room. “Hi Dawn. Man you look really

pregnant,” she paused and then turned towards Buffy. “Hi B. How’s it going?”

“Hey Faith,” Buffy returned quietly.

The other three in the room watched them closely. “It’s going good,” Buffy continued. “How ‘bout you?”

“Can’t complain,” Faith answered honestly.

Their conversation was interrupted when Willow walked back into the kitchen. “Xander’s only been her for a few

minutes,” she complained, “and he’s already taking over my grill.”

She stopped short when she noticed Faith. “If you think that’s bad,” the brunet quipped, “you should try being in a

car with him and his insane family for three hours.”

Everyone laughed. “I’ve got two words for you,” Faith continued. “Never... again. It was torture. There was

arguing, shouting, and name calling, and that was only Xander and Anya. Don’t get me started on the girls. All I

can say is I know way to much about the mating habits of fourteen year old girls, and all the lyrics to the most

popular teenage songs. I so need to get my own wheels.”

Everyone laughed again. “We’ll get you some professional help,” Willow joked. “To guide you through the

trauma.”

“Laugh it up Red,” Faith told her as she moved over to give her a hug as well. “They’re staying in your house for

the next few days.”

“Lord help us all,” Willow screamed in mock terror. “Why’d you come up with them anyway?”

“Dead boy didn’t need me for anything,” she answered, trying to be nonchalant. “So I figured I come up a little

early. That going to be a problem?”

“Not at all,” Tara said from the other side of the room. “You know you’re always welcome here.”

Faith smiled. “Thanks Tar.”

Before Tara could reply Anya and one of the girls came into the kitchen. “Hello everybody,” she exclaimed.

“Hi Anya,” Willow said. “And Kristen,” she added to the little girl. “Where are the other two?”

“Out on the patio,” Anya told her with a grin. “Spying for me, so I can have info on the new boyfriend. Xander

never tells me anything.”

Lily groaned in embarrassment, as the rest of the women laughed.

“Hey someone’s got to look out for you,” Anya told her, as she moved over to the kitchen table, pulled out a chair

and sat. “What do Tara and your mother know about dating boys? They’re big old lesbians for God’s sake.”

Lily groaned and buried her face in her hands in embarrassment. Willow rolled her eyes annoyance. Buffy, Tara

and Dawn were doing their best to keep from laughing. “You know,” Faith finally said, with a little chuckle, “in

some twisted way that actually makes sense.”

“Hey,” Willow objected.

Faith raised her hands in a defensive gesture. “I didn’t say I agreed with her Red, just that it made sense.”

Before Willow could offer an objection Tara stepped. “The more things change,” she joked. “The more they stay

the same.”

“Yep,” Buffy agreed. “Same old Anya, that’s for sure.”

“Well, why mess with perfection,” Anya said with a big smile.

Everyone laughed in response. They were saved from any further comments from Anya when her oldest daughter

came into the kitchen. “What is it Erin,” Anya asked her.

Turning to Willow the girl said, “Aunt Willow Dad wanted to know if you had any beer.”

Thinking quickly Willow responded, “I think we have a few in the back of the fridge.”

She walked over, opened the door, and began searching the refrigerator. “I’ll take one too, if you have it Red,”

Faith called out.

“Okay,” Willow responded.

“Where’s Michelle,” Anya asked her daughter.

“Lily wanted to show her some computer game with the Muppets in it or something,” Erin answered.

“You’re supposed to be spying for me,” Anya told her. “Finding out about that boy out there.”

“Dad is talking about cars with him,” Erin explained. Turning to Lily she asked, “Is he your boyfriend?”

“Yeah,” Lily replied with a smile.

“He’s cute,” Erin gushed.

Buffy leaned over and whispered to Tara, “Anya’s daughter boy crazy, who knew.”

Tara shot her a ‘be nice’ look, but laughed in spite of her self.

“Ah ha!” Willow called out from inside the refrigerator. Pulling out two brown bottles she exclaimed, “I knew they

were in there somewhere.”

Tara gave her an amused smile and reached into the drawer behind her. Quickly pulling out a bottle opener, she

reached over and handed it to Willow. “Thanks hon,” Willow said with a smile, as she reached over to take it from

Tara.

She popped the top off of one of the bottles and handed it to Erin. “Here you go Erin. Tell him I have a few more

left so if he wants he can have another.”

“Okay,” Erin responded, as she took the bottle and made her way back outside.

Willow popped the top off the remaining bottle and handed it to Faith, who raised the bottle in silent thanks and

then took a quick drink. “Is it all right for the girls to be on the computer,” Anya asked Willow. “Michelle doesn’t

know much about computers. I wouldn’t want her breaking anything important.”

“It’s no problem,” Willow told her. “Joy’s got her own little computer set up for when she’s over here. She knows

what she’s doing. Besides there’s not much on it to be messed up.”

“And Aunt Willow loves spoiling her with new games all the time,” Dawn added with a playful grin.

“Hey what can I say,” Willow responded, feigning innocence. “What good is money if you can’t spend it on other

people?”

“That’s my Willow,” Tara said, as she stepped behind Willow, wrapped her arms around the redhead’s waist and

rested her chin on Willows shoulder. “Always thinking of others.”

Willow smiled and turned her head to place a quick kiss on Tara’s cheek. “Thank you honey.”

“Oh brother,” Anya groaned. “Twenty years and they’re still all lovey dovey.”

“You don’t know the half of it,” Lily put in from the seat beside her

“So Kristen,” Willow said quickly, to change the focus of the conversation. “Do you want to go up and play on the

computer with the others?”

Kristen turned to Anya and asked, “Can I Mom?”

Anya smiled at her. “Sure you can sweety.”

Kristen turned back to Willow and gave a tentative smile. “Okay.”

“Great,” Willow responded with a big smile of her own “ Why don’t I just...”

“I’ll show her where to go,” Lily interrupted. “That way you ladies can get back to all things romance without me

having to hear anything I don’t want to hear.”

“Chicken,” Buffy teased.

Lily looked up and shot her a grin. “Oh absolutely. No one should ever have to hear about their parent’s sex lives.”

“You are absolutely right,” Buffy said with a laugh. “I learned that one from the band candy incident.”

“Eww Buffy,” Dawn squealed. “You so did not have to bring that up.”

“I rest my case,” Lily called from over her shoulder, as she and Kristen made their way out of the kitchen.

“Smart kid you got there Will,” Buffy said with a grin.

Willow gave a long suffering sigh. “Smart mouth, that’s for sure.”

“Oh give it up Red,” Faith said with a grin. “You loved that kid from the moment you knew you were having her.”

Willow had a dreamy smile and a far off look in her eyes. “Absolutely.”

------------------

Post subject: Re: FIC: Building a Family
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:46 pm 
that was a great start. very funny.

good job.

brittney

Quote:
Kiss this axe, bitch!---Tara "Bargaining part 2"

Post subject: Re: FIC: Building a Family
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:30 am 
I would like to hear more of this! Really nice! Especially because it's so different from other fics you can find! Keep it up!:pray

Hugs. Nenyath

Post subject: more?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:51 am 
I really loved this fic! :applause

I would really like to hear more, and know more about how Willow and Tara had Lily: magick or what?

Anywho, it's a nice change from most fics. Thanks.:clap