The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Common Areas - Part 5
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:49 am 
awww so sweet especially when tara thought that she already knew who she wanted to come home to :happycry and miss kitty i wonder how she knows the cats name unless she didn;t take the cat with her and so willow told her and if she didn't take the cat with why does this seem bad :confused

More soon please :pray

Silent

It's like I can't breathe, It's like I can't see anything, Nothing but you, I'm addicted to you

- Kelly Clarkson "Addicted"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:57 am 
...gotten your magic supplies from them, so we're not causing unnecessary crinkles in the timeline

*puffs out her chest* wow i'm sure proud! lol it's nice to know i made a small, indirect contribution to this awesome fic! hahaa

I loved this whole chapter so much lol. Yet, i'm completely baffled at how Will and T will end up together; there are so many possibilities! They could accidently bump into eachother in either's times, they could devise a spell thingie, it's all so confusing! I need answers dannit! lol, somehow, i just don't think i'm gonna get them soon.

Oh well! I'll just hafta keep on reading and find out won't i?! ;)

- Bell :D

The shape of you

Is etched inside

My bruised and somewhat sculptured mind

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:39 am 
Very interesting; so it's not just letters that can connect them, but spells as well. Or maybe perhaps, the mo' bettah way to say it is, it's not only the letterbox that can illuminate what could very well be a pre-existing connection, but spells (even seemingly simple spells) as well. Are these two meant to meet for some reason? Meaning, is there a certain, shared-destiny-factor at work? Nice that they are so cognizant about affecting each others moods (thinking the pre-spell letters) and that they saw the spell as a way to 'make up' for the possible emotional slights (Willow being selfish, Tara with her broken heart). Very intriguing that Willow thinks Tara needs instruction with the garden, not just in the best way to plant things (cute) but where to plant everything. One would think since Willow knew where the plants would go, she would have faith in Tara to know too (since the girl planted them in the first place). Ah the sweet complexity in meeting across time! Nice to see Miss Kitty - I wonder what her role in this whole thing is... Great job, looking forward to more.

Edited by: EasierSaid at: 12/21/04 8:40 am

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:31 pm 
This is a really cool idea. I've always been interested in time travel stuff. I think a part of why it interests me is the chance of ripple effects...one tiny thing could start a chain reaction and make things drastically different...like in that movie "Frequency" where a father and son talk to each other over an old time radio system (ham radio I think), the dad's like 30 years in the past and hasn't died yet and the son does his best to help him...it's a pretty cool movie. Anyway, I'm kinda going on and on about nothing important...so I'll end this with saying that this is a cool story.

**Michelle

Edited by: pikescoob at: 12/22/04 1:33 pm

Post subject: Common Areas
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:07 pm 
:wave

I finally read this today.... so glad I did !! The premise might be a difficult one indeed, but honestly thus far you've made it look easy :clap .

I guess we just got our first glimpse... of the one responsible for the paw prints :D .

behindhereyes

Kim

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:19 am 
Hi again,

I like the way this continues to go. Both girls are being moderately respectful of the space-time continuium. Interestingly I'm reading To Say Nothing of the Dog this week which is definitely about just that thing but not about a correspondence.

How lovely Tara is with her gardening and the spell and already being in love with Willow. Again I express my discomfort with her fate. She has to know that either something is going to happen to her or she will fall out of love with Willow because she doesn't go and find her. It's very mind-bendy though to think about Willow planning a garden she has already seen and hard to deterime the "prime mover" of the event: Did Tara plant it like that because Willow suggested it or did she plant it like that anyway and Willow suggested it because that's the way it already was? Quite mind-boggling.

Interestingly enough I think of Tara being in the now and Willow being in the future even though the first update placed Willow firmly in the now. I'm curious about everyone else's perception?

Have a great holiday.

Sign the ACLU Refuse to Surrender Pledge

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice.” - Martin Luther King

Post subject: Re: Common Areas
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:48 pm 
Just caught up with this and wanted to let you know I'm really enjoying it. It's a really terrific premise and I can't remember reading anything else quite like it before in the W/T genre. Can't wait for more!

Trom's Brain: Rubbing the World the Wrong Way

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:17 pm 
Veddy intedesting. I like it. Time travel , worm holes, etc. facinate me.

terra

"You two are the two who are the two. I'm the other one." - Willow

Post subject: Re: Replies and Happy Holidays!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:03 am 
Happy Christmas to everyone! Hope the holiday season brings joyous blessings to you and your loved ones. As usual, replies, then update.

tarawhipped - Cameron, thanks for your email. I guess it's a matter of time before some smart person figures it out. Please check your email for my reply.

Viximon - yes, frustrating, and more frustration to come :wink , I'm kinda evil.

russ - thanks for reading, no worries about feedback, it's not been an easy write either, having to remember which timeline and whose perspective I'm writing and making sure there are no holes. "Exactly the same moment" was easier to visualize than write, I imaged if it were a film we'd have them both utter the same words simultaneously. I guess in the context of the story, they say "beautiful" at the same second, like 6.03.32pm, but each in their own years. Debra's concern about Tara's whereabouts in 2004, well all I can say is that it's not unfounded. What happens to her between 2001 and 2004? Why is it that 2004 Willow doesn't know her until their correspondences started? Those are perfectly valid questions that I'll try to answer in due course. But I'll take my time doing it, if I may :) . As regards gardening, all too often it's portrayed as an older people's hobby, when it should not be. It's something that even the youngest member of the family can participate. You're right, they're witches, and Tara is a natural witch, all the reason they would have green fingers.

silentinformer - I haven't written it, but they compared notes about Willow's paw prints (back in Part 1) and realized they shared the same cat. The question is if Miss Kitty was with Tara in 2001, how come she ended up with Willow in 2004? Keep reading ...

little miss 666 - yes, here's the crinkle! Your valuable contribution, thanks! Considering the original version read "so we're not disturbing the timeline" the crinkle makes it better, don't you agree? There're so many possibilities of they eventually meet, for meet and have a happy ending is guaranteed, but how? hmmmm, time will tell. Unless you want me to jump straight to the last chapter with the smoochies and ...? Yes? No? I think I'll take my time ...

Easiersaid - thanks Heather. At this point I'd like to keep this story light and not delve too deeply into questions like why the letterbox has this magic property, whether it's only for W/T, how long it has been in existence, how long will it keep operating, do W/T have a pre-destiny. Too much for my little brain really :paranoid . Only to say, they are meant to be together, they do have a connection that neither of them fully understand, and it's so strong that it's able to manifest even across time. More good stuff to come.

pikescoob - thank you. I like that part in Frequency where the burn mark appears on the table in front of their eyes (or disappear, I can't remember), just to show how powerful a simple action can be, to change the course of history. Thanks for reading.

behindhereyes - phew, I'm so relieved to read that you've found it easy. It's worried me, that the story's too twisted. And yes, that's Miss Kitty's paw prints on the windowsill.

Debra - thank you for your continued support. I understand your concern for 2004 Tara, you've probably plotted it out in your head, how you would take the story forward if you were writing it, right? I'd love to say your discomfort was unfounded, that there is absolutely nothing to worry about, but alas I can't, because there will be angst before I bring them together. Where does Tara go between 2001 and 2004? May be she's in Europe on a art tour; may be she becomes an astronaut and is up there in the ISS; may be she's doing volunteer work in Africa; may be she got bankrupt and can't afford to go to Sunnydale; may be she, gasp, met someone else; may be ... there're millions of possibilities. But that's all I'll say, without giving too much away :p . I tend to change perspectives between T and W depending on who I'm writing about. For me, the "now" belongs to the viewpoint of the one I'm writing from, probably strictly speaking not proper writing, but I'm still learning.

TromDeGrey - thanks! I'm glad you like it.

terra21 - thank you. Alas, not a real worm hole here, not even a closed time-like curve (CTC), just a time crinkle.

------

quiet thoughts

Edited by: hidden watson at: 12/27/04 6:57 am

Post subject: Re: Common Areas - Part 6
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:09 am 
Title: Common Areas

Author: watson (hiddenwatson@yahoo.com)

Distribution: please email me first

Rating: PG-13 to R

Summary: Sunnydale, AU. Set during 2001 and 2004. Willow and Tara find each other through time.

Disclaimer: This story is inspired by and adapted from a Korean film called Il Mare. The story premise, of 2 people who connect across time, belongs to Lee Hyun-Seung, although I have deviated from the story somewhat. BtVS characters belong to Mutant Enemy, Fox, The WB, UPN and others. I own nothing. I am nothing.

Notes: I upped the rating on this chapter. Y'all will be pleased to know that it won't be the last time this will happen.

I know I'm behind, this chapter is set around Thanksgiving and it's Christmas today, hope it's not too confusing.

Part 6

After the Flower of Light spell Tara positively hummed with Willow. Every laugh she heard was Willow's. Every tender touch on her arms was Willow's. Every time she spotted red hair she thought it was Willow. She could feel her everywhere — while she painted, while she did her laundry, while she was at the store. Inside her, around her, all over her.

... and especially when she was in the shower. Unconsciously her hands would start exploring, all-over, everywhere. Warm hands softly caressing her breasts, brushing against her tummy and gently teasing her folds. Her eyes closed in exhilaration under the stream of hot water. Then a soft groan escaping her lips jolted her abruptly back to reality. She turned the shower to its coldest setting.

These were not okay feelings to have. She was so frustrated.

Willow was doing research on dimensional time travel. Initially she did a lot of reading on quantum mechanics, topics like relativity theory and multi-worlds theory, that described the physics of time travel. Although she understood the equations and hypotheses, none of them gave her answers that she was looking for.

So she turned to magicks. She knew there were spells that enabled people to travel to another time. Not alternate universes like the one created by Cordelia's Wish, but in her own universe, only another time.

Although if she traveled to that other time and interacted with people and even stayed there, she would have created another branch and what would happen to her original reality? Would she be able to return? Would it fade out of existence? What about the other paradoxes surrounding the whole concept of time travel? These were the questions in her mind, but not all she thought about.

All she thought about, every waking second, was Tara. She could feel the after effects of their spell, that left her breathless and yearning for more. More contact, more sharing of energy and more, more, more Tara. She wanted to sneak back into Sherwood Place and dig up the spot in the garden where Tara buried her flowers, even though they would probably have rotted away by now.

Buffy and Xander attributed her distractedness as Oz-related, but they did not realize those times she stared blankly into space was with a secret smile and not the sadness of a spurned woman. Anya would have noticed and questioned her relentlessly, but was too tied up with the post-Halloween, pre-Thanksgiving retail rush.

That time when Xander made a joke about too many girls and missing Oz, while he looked horrified at his inadvertent mention of his name, she did not bat an eyelid. No sweaty palms, no palpitations. She had not thought about him at all, since the spell with Tara.

That was one nifty spell.

"Are you sure you'll be alright?" Buffy asked as she threw her bag into the back seat of the Jeep.

"Of course. You know my views on Thanksgiving. It's never been important to me, but it is to many people, including your Aunt Arlene," Willow grinned.

"I can't believe it, we haven't seen her since Mom... do you think she wants something?" Buffy mused.

"Probably just to see you and Dawn. You say she had to move to a bungalow after her hip operation? People get a different perspective on life after something bad happens to them, they want their loved ones near," Willow said.

"Yeah. Sometimes I forget there's a real world outside, where getting injured is a big deal," Buffy said wryly.

"Hey, don't go all melancholy slayer on me again," Willow said as she playfully hit Buffy on the arm.

"Nah, I'm good. Now, one last time, you promise to call Xand and Anya for us?"

"Yeah, yeah. I just hope I don't get an earful from Anya. You know what they're gonna be doing, second honeymoon and all."

Buffy laughed. Dawn skipped out of the house, gave Willow a whirlwind hug and threw herself into the car. In no time at all Willow found herself standing alone on the front porch of Buffy's house.

She was on her own in Sunnydale. Buffy and Dawn gone to Illinois to visit their aunt, Xander and Anya to Mexico for sun, sea and frolic.

Apart from house-sitting, she had precious little else to do.

All the more time for Tara.

They talked about what they were doing for Thanksgiving. Ira and Sheila hardly celebrated so the last few years were spent with the Scoobies. It took quite a bit of manipulation on her part to finally convince the others that they could and should go away this year. The clincher was when Angel graciously agreed to send Spike and Gunn over to help with patrol.

"It'll help them get over the past few months. It's been hard on them, the survivor guilt," the one-time broody vampire, and now dragon slayer, explained to a hesitant Buffy. "And you're not around to complicate matters with Spike. They'll just come in for a few days and be out, if Willow doesn't want to, she doesn't need to bother with them at all."

Privately he also told the slayer that he thought Willow sounded like she needed some alone time, she was probably feeling overwhelmed by the others' fussing over her constantly.

Tara had an offer to join Paul and Becky, but Becky's pregnancy had become harder and she had been confined to bed so the dinner was canceled.

Two witches on their own at Thanksgiving. Whatever should we do?

*Laugh* I don't know. May be, um, let's see, I know! Let's do a spell!

Spell sounds good. Any ideas? I was thinking we should do one that celebrates the plentiful harvest season and the coming of winter, because it's Thanksgiving afterall. That's the only time my Dad would let Mom giving blessings at our table.

I can do better. I found one that reaches out to nature itself, at once giving thanks to the fruits it has provided and at the same time allowing the spellcaster to connect with the earth. It's from the druids and uses vervain leaves that's been gathered under the rays of a full moon and imbued with the moon's power. You infuse it into 3 types of oil, use the infused oil in a ritual bath before giving yourself an all over massage with it. It's very powerful and the effects are supposed to last well into the next year.

Tara gulped when she read that. It was so enchanting, so sensual. It did not take a lot to imagine another's hands massaging the oil into her body. Willowhands.

Are you sure we're ready for this? It sounds, well, kind of intimate, she wrote.

The reply that came back was full of revelations.

Intimate is performing the spell together in the same room, on the same day of the same month of the same year. There will be side by side preparations with much anticipation, a joint cleansing bath and real, not pretend or phantom, touching. The operative word is together. This is just a poor substitute.

I can't stop thinking about you.

I know it's completely the wrong thing to be admitting, Tara, but I feel like I'm that close to exploding. I went by to the apartment and talked to Paul, it's still empty, which is why it's so easy for me to drop letters to you. I've been thinking of moving back so I'm closer to you. But I want more. More than just exchanging letters and gifts. More than me being in one place doing a spell and you in another place doing the same spell and pretending we are doing the spell together.

I want to see you.

Tara literally dropped the letter when she read the last part. Her heart was beating so wildly and she had to sit down before she fell. Here was Willow practically confessing that, yes, she felt the same for Tara as Tara for her.

She put the letter down on her desk. There was more but she simply could not read further. She deliberately made herself busy, turned the radio on very loud and did housework around the apartment.

Later, finally when she could not stand it anymore, she made herself a hot chocolate and with shaking hands, took up the letter again.

I want to see you.

Not just from a distance like you did at the Bronze. I want full-on meeting, talking and coffee, there'll definitely be coffee of a mocha-y goodness variety.

I thought of a way. Not a spell or time machine or anything fancy. It's quite simple actually but it'll be a lot harder for you than for me, so it's only fair that you make the decision. I should have no right suggesting it, but it's just gonna be on my mind and I can't get rid of the thought and then I'll be wiggy and you with your Mensa level EQ will just get worried.

Here it goes.

Make a date in your diary. If you don't have a diary, buy one.

December 12th, 2004. Sunday. A day of the New Moon. 3pm. I'll be at the Espresso Pump.

Please come.

------

quiet thoughts

Edited by: hidden watson at: 12/25/04 7:33 am

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:21 am 

The way you write this, your ability with words... absolutely floors me. With years between them... the intimacy is real, and powerful :bow . The lingering affects of the spell... being filled with one another :sheep !

My own mind doesn't allow me to foresee where the next step will lead me... I just always know it'll be breathtaking !

:clap :clap :clap

behindhereyes

Kim

"To the world, you may be one person; but to one person, you may be the world"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:29 pm 
Wow... the way you described the effects for both Willow and Tara is awe-inspiring... :bow :bow Having time as the big barrier is definitely making both of them crazy... Makes me crazy too, seeing them like that... But still, I am amazed at how you describe the togetherness they experienced from the nifty spell, even with the not-actually-being-together...

Hmmm... the last part of the update makes me bounce up and down with interest... what will happen??? what will happen???

update please...:pray

***Cail***

To Love is to receive a glimpse of Heaven-- Karen Sunde

Love isn't a decision. It's a feeling. If we could decide who we loved, it would be much simpler...But much less magical... -- Trey Parker and Matt Stone

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:23 pm 
Light makes me happy. :) Loved the description of how the spell affected them both, particularly Tara, and the desperation in Willow's last note. What a trip; to wait so many years to meet someone, especially someone who you're in love with (if that is indeed what is going to happen). My brain hurts a little, but I'm gonna ignore it and just wait to see how this plays out. Great job.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:49 pm 
Oh wow. Willow won't have to wait long but Tara will have to wait three years. I can hardly wait! This is so cool. So cool.

I got bitten by a drunk lesbian! Does that mean I'll turn into one?

~my friend Mary

Post subject: Re: Replies and Happy Holidays!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:55 pm 
like tara's going to need to write the date down to remember-doubt that. have a feeling it won't quite come off though, or it would probably already be time for happier ever after, seems a little soon for that (well, 3 years for tara, but still soon) willow's opening up to tara was completely swoon worthy, and thanx for the holiday update!~mary

you come and you glow and you hum and you hover
i cannot believe that you're my lover~rhett miller

Post subject: O_O
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:53 am 
Wow! Oh my!!

Will Tara do it? Poor poor Tara, might wait three years for that...

Well, If she's still around, that's it. :gnome

Aghh! Want to read more. You sure are evil

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:13 am 
Wow we're close i assume to them having some form of contact even if it is just coffee and i always laugh at the obliviousness of the scooby members :laugh

more soonish please

Silent:wave

It's like I can't breathe, It's like I can't see anything, Nothing but you, I'm addicted to you

- Kelly Clarkson "Addicted"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:28 pm 
Wow...three years, that's a really long time to wait. I'm still having a little trouble grasping the concept of Willow in 2004 talking to Tara in 2001.

It can't be that the Tara in 2001 is the same person as the Tara in 2004...because if it were, where is the Tara in 2004??? Eek, I'm not making much sense. So, right now...I'll just keep telling myself that it's an alternate universe thing lol. I'm confusing myself really, I should just stop thinking and just enjoy the ride! Loving your story. I'd love to see how you work around this and bring our girls together, as they should be.

p.s. I'm really sorry you had to read through that mess of a feedback. Bottom line is, I'm really enjoying this, please continue.

But here, the energy, the collective intelligence. It's like this force, t-this penetrating force, and I can just feel my mind opening up, you know, and letting this place just thrust into and -- and spurt knowledge into -- that sentence ended up in a different place than it started out in - Willow

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:22 pm 
Please don't get the impression that I'm thinking about this story and it's implications in a critical way. I think you are doing a stupendous job and the fact that I'm looking so closely at it, I think indicates that. Yes, you are right that I'm concerned. Of course, now we have a date to be concerned about. And that is heartbreaking! Wow and wow. If Tara decides to go (assuming she still can), she has to wait 3 years for her date? Arggghhh! In that aspect Willow is lucky. How brave of Willow to admit her feelings for Tara. Yay her (as she'd be likely to say). As far as learning to write, this is absolutely a wonderful forum for that. Thanks for your wonderful story and I hope you had a good holiday. Debra

Sign the ACLU Refuse to Surrender Pledge

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice.” - Martin Luther King

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:06 am 
watson,

I just started reading this new fiction and I am very much hooked! It's an intriguing story and very heart breaking at the same time. So the 2004 Willow wants to meet the 2001 Tara...trying to wrap my head around this. That means there are 2 Willows? Argghh... hurts my brain! I can't wait to see more of this story. Great job!

:peace

-pipsberg

"We live our lives, do whatever we do, and then we sleep - it's as simple and ordinary as that."

Michael Cunningham, The Hours

Edited by: pipsberg at: 12/27/04 3:59 pm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:12 pm 
I really enjoy reading this story. I’m fascinated on how Willow and Tara will resolve their dilemma of falling in love with someone in a different time. Crossing times will lead to two of the same individual. But, 2004 Tara and 2001 Willow are different people from the 2004 Willow and 2001 Tara; thus finding the other in the same time may (or may not) be the same as the person she fell in love with in the letters.

And, really, I admire anyone who can write emotional quotient into their story. I like the idea of Tara as having the emotional intelligence of a genius.

Great story. Look forward to reading more.

Teddy

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed. - Robert Frost

If you are incalculable, then we are congruent. - Thea Hillman

Edited by: fun in dysfuntion at: 12/27/04 10:24 pm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:30 pm 
"bzzzzbzzzzbzzzzzbzzzz" That's me on your hook.

My head hurts a little thinking about this time crinkle thingy. I may have to draw a chart.

I'm gonna sit tight until you unravel this mystery.

terra

"You two are the two who are the two. I'm the other one." - Willow

Post subject: Common Areas - Part 7
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:20 am 
Title: Common Areas

Author: watson (hiddenwatson@yahoo.com)

Distribution: please email me first

Rating: PG-13 to R

Summary: Sunnydale, AU. Set during 2001 and 2004. Willow and Tara find each other through time.

Disclaimer: This story is inspired by and adapted from a Korean film called Il Mare. The story premise, of 2 people who connect across time, belongs to Lee Hyun-Seung, although I have deviated from the story somewhat. BtVS characters belong to Mutant Enemy, Fox, The WB, UPN and others. I own nothing. I am nothing.

Notes: I'm still behind, we're not quite at Thanksgiving yet.

Part 7

Tara pulled her cart quickly out of the way of the stray child she had almost run over. There were way too many people and she was not concentrating. She had forced herself to go out to the store, but had instantly regretted the decision when she got hit by the Thanksgiving scavengers.

It had been 3 days since Willow asked her out. And she was clear on that point, it was an asking-for-a-date thing. A bashful, angst-ridden, needy way of asking her, but given their surreal situation, remarkably sweet.

Her emotional clarity had walked, no it had hopped, skipped and jumped right out of the building on this one, after going through a veritable roller coaster of emotions that left her drained. She felt she was still strapped in under one of those hideous plastic padding, one minute slowly cranking up the first incline; the next minute hurtling straight down as if about to crash into the ground.

She asked herself, did she want to meet Willow, and the answer was yes. A "yes" that screamed and echoed and raged from every cell in her body. So why hadn't she written back already? What was wrong with her? She could say yes and then change her mind, there was plenty of time. Plenty was not a big enough word to describe the time she had.

Truth was, she wanted to meet Willow so much it was scaring her. The desire was consuming, throttling everything else in her life. She knew exactly what she would do if, at that moment, Willow walked in through the door and into her arms.

To intoxicate myself with the sensations that are Willow. To make her mine, to give myself to her.

So how was she supposed to wait, and keep the fire burning, for so long? Willow had weeks, but she would have to wait for close to eternity. Would she be the same person in 2004? Would the memories have faded away? Would she stand up to Willow's expectations? What would happen to her after Willow and future her met?

She mulled over the question as she quickly did her shopping and went home.

By then, she had decided to approach it differently. She was a simple country girl not usually taken with so many twisty thoughts, so she tried asking herself practical questions instead.

What did she have to lose? And the most important question was, if she refused, would she regret it?

Miss Kitty decided at that moment to jump into her lap and all of a sudden it became as clear as day. She grabbed a piece of paper and very quickly wrote ...

No.

Nothing.

Willow was distraught. She drove by the mailbox everyday, and still, nothing from Tara.

I scared her off. Me and my big heartfelt declaration. Big and heartfelt and so very rash. And perhaps a little foolish. She hates me, she'll want nothing to do with me anymore. Way to go Rosenberg.

To add insult to injury, some twit (oh great, I'm channeling Giles now, or even worse, Spike, ewww) decided to open up the market for Ghora eggs again and, in their haste to get away, led the very agitated Mother Ghora out of her cave and into the residential areas. As de facto leader of the Scoobies (as in, the only one currently in Sunnydale), she had to mobilize the available troops to contain the threat.

Spike hooked up with some of his former poker mates and chased the Ghora back toward the woods behind the former Initiative base, where Willow did a risky teleportation spell to get it back to its lair. She was exhausted after the spell, which was way beyond anything that she had tried before, especially since she had no anchor and a very small margin of error to work with. Spike caught her before she collapsed and carried her carefully back to Buffy's house.

Her thought, just before she slipped into unconsciousness, was how much better if Tara were here to do the spell with her and how she needed to so not be in this bed because she had to get to the mailbox now.

She woke with a start at the sound of dropped china. She was still groggy and sported a splitting headache. A few minutes later, a clearly flustered Clem gingerly opened the door and peeped in.

"Hello Willow. Did I wake you? I brought you some soup, I'm not very good at making people food, but even I can reheat. Thank the heavens for microwave right?" he smiled apologetically as he placed a tray with the soup and an apple, cut up in pieces, next to the bed. Good old Clem.

"Oh Clem. You're the sweetest," she smiled back as he gave her a little wave when he closed the bedroom door behind him. Or tried to smile. It was like wires were attached to the ends of her mouth and each movement was accompanied by jerky pain. She took the tray and slowly sipped the soup.

Her mind was on one thing and one thing only, as soon as she finished the soup and the fruit, she slipped out of bed.

"Owie, headrush," she whimpered as she stood up then fell back into bed. She closed her eyes to allow the dizziness to pass, then tried again, this time slowly. She looked around to find her shoes. Spike and Clem had left her in bed fully clothed and her sweater and jeans were sporting the extreme wrinkled look right now. How little she cared.

She was reaching for the front door when a "Oy Red, where do you think you're going?" stopped her.

"I've got something I need to do," she replied curtly, turning around to find Spike coming out of the living room.

"You're not going out in your condition," he said.

"I'm just gonna zip out and be back in a tiff, I'll be quick."

"No way, not on my watch. The Slayer and Angel will have me for breakfast."

"Spike, listen to me. I need to do something very important. It.can't.wait. I'll take full responsibility," she said, resolve face in full operational mode.

He knew better than to push the issue. "Fine. But you're not walking, I'll drive."

Her hands were trembling so much she could not open the envelope. Why did Tara have use an envelope. Oh yes, letters usually go in envelopes, to protect them, or something. She really was not thinking well.

She could barely contain herself when she opened the mailbox and saw that it was not empty. It took her every ounce of self control to just take it out, put it in her pocket and return to the car.

She asked Spike to drive her back to her own apartment, intensely aware of the letter burning a hole in her pocket. He had been quiet throughout, if he thought it strange that she went through all that trouble just to get a letter out of a mailbox he was keeping it to himself.

Finally she pulled the paper out of its unyielding home. It was short, only one word. The most wondrous word in the entire universe.

Yes.

They did not do the spell at the end. An unspoken agreement developed that they would postpone this spell until they could do it together. Really together.

Instead Tara asked Willow to share Thanksgiving dinner with her.

Willow, whose usual cooking methods were the phone and the microwave, discovered the hidden iron chef inside her and they cooked a simple pasta dinner using one of Tara's recipes. It did not make sense to go crazy on the one-person portion of turkey and trimmings. Tara did concede and taught Willow how to make a small pie, the remainder of which could be frozen for another day.

Usually setting the table for only one made Tara depressed, but this time she did not feel lonely at all. It was her first Thanksgiving away from home, and one of the best. She tucked into her dinner with abandonment.

Edited: yikes, remember to use html formatting my dear watson.

------

quiet thoughts

Edited by: hidden watson at: 12/30/04 6:13 am

Post subject: Re: Replies
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:17 am 
First of all, I'd like to urge everyone to please give as much as you are able to toward the victims of the earthquake and tsumani disaster in Asia. The aid agencies are in effect dealing with major disasters that happened concurrently in multiple countries and they are very stretched.

Replies then update.

behindhereyes - wow. You're making me blush when you say
Quote:
being filled with one another
may be it's my mind that need to get out of the gutter, heehee.

UnveilTheSoulbound - "nifty spell, even with the not-actually-being-together" togetherness, I like that. Usually there are obstacles (Will's "straightness", Tara's shyness, society pressure, demons, hellmouth and other circumstances) preventing them from getting together (at first) but yeah, not many times when it's Father Time itself. Thanks for reading.

EasierSaid - yep, that's what Willow was asking, with a hint of desperation. She obviously had exhausted the physics and magic avenues. When I read this chapter again, I couldn't help being astounded by Willow's selfishness, even though it is fairly in character so far. How can she possibly ask Tara to meet her in 3 years' time, isn't it extremely unfair to Tara? I know she prefaced the request by saying it's up to Tara, but still.

Tempest Duer - thank you. Tara has to have the patience of a saint to be able to wait, and of course we know she's a saint so that's solved.

meretricious - they have so much to get through, to talk about, to catch up. You're right, there's a little way to go yet.

Viximon - soon, my friend, soon it'll all be revealed. (Or may be not, I'm still evil).

silentinformer - yes, the Scoobs generally need to catch a clue. But then again Willow has probably kept the details of her correspondence with Tara firmly to herself. I can just imagine Xander's head exploding if he tries to think about his best friend having a relationship with someone years in the past. Buffy has been supportive, but I don't know how she will deal with this, will she get jealous? Suspicious? Giles will probably not approve cos of the time paradox matter. Dawn will just swoon and Anya will lament the lack of orgasm opportunities.

willow fan7 - you've caught the paradox in this story. 2004 Willow asks 2001 Tara to mark her diary for their meeting in 2004, so Willow is actually meeting the 2004 version of Tara. But if they've already started corresponding, surely she would have known 2002, 2003 and early 2004 Tara already through their letters ... hmmm, not giving any more away now.

JustSkipIt - no worries, I'm not thinking anything bad about your concern, I'm just saying an experienced writer like you would probably have spotted the direction this story might go already, in fact I'm glad you did, cos I'm looking forward to your reaction to, um, *tries to say nonchalantly* chapter 14. Isn't anticipation great? I'm truly evil now. Hmmm. Now I'm definitely zipping my mouth firmly shut :) . By the way, congratulations on your newest fic, it's a great read, just what we need this terrible week.

pipsberg - welcome and thank you for stopping by. Yes Willow wants to meet Tara, but she's asking Tara to mark her diary for 2004, so in her time she only has a few weeks to wait but Tara has to wait 3 years. So, will Tara agree? read on ...

fun in dysfuntion - I think they've probably figured out time travel is out of the questions, hence this rather primitive method of setting up a date. And yes, the dilemma is, are you the same person you are / will be in 3 years' time?

terra21 - a chart? You and me both, I had to do a huge table while writing this, with arrows and lines all over the place. So, you're not the only one whose head is buzzing. Thanks.

------

quiet thoughts

Post subject: Re: Common Areas - Part 7
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:30 am 
Great update. This story is very intriguing, and I'm enjoying it very much. Looking forward to more.

She danced as they say in that song - like a wave on the ocean.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:44 am 
i love the dichotomy in your fic of the normality of their day to day lives (shopping, fighting demons etc.) vs the head-swimming trippiness of the time skip. it all seems so clear as you write it, but then i think about it too much and the pretzel effect gives me a brain cramp. will they have to stop writing each other?-cause if willow gets to meet tara, can she still keep writing the tara she hasn't met yet? or, conversely, if tara doesn't make it to the date, willow will be all "why did you stand me up in 3 years?"

very much enjoyed nurse-maid clem. even with every one gone, willow still has a support system. i hope tara's consuming desire for willow doesn't preclude her from filling her life in the meantime with more than just miss kitty.

now, need more caffeine to uncramp my brain-this is a great story!~mary

you come and you glow and you hum and you hover
i cannot believe that you're my lover~rhett miller

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:11 am 

Wow... the connection that they're building, through " time " feels very intimate. Even though they're not physically in the same moment... it's impossible not to imagine, the way that they would gaze into each other, and each be warmed by what they saw.

:bow damn... seriously this is wonderful.

behindhereyes

Kim

"To the world, you may be one person; but to one person, you may be the world"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:22 am 
Quote:
She grabbed a piece of paper and very quickly wrote ...

No.

*swallows hard* I have to admit, I fell for that bit. Great writing, as always. Loved the update. Really looking forward to the next one.

But here, the energy, the collective intelligence. It's like this force, t-this penetrating force, and I can just feel my mind opening up, you know, and letting this place just thrust into and -- and spurt knowledge into -- that sentence ended up in a different place than it started out in - Willow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:40 am 
Great update watson. I'm really happy that Tara said yes.

I'm really struggling with the time aspect, but trying not to let it fry my brain too much or detract from your great writing. Paradoxes hurt the noggin. So, since they've agreed to meet in 3 weeks Willow's time (3 years Tara's time), that means they cannot talk via the mailbox time portal after that date, because they would have met by then. So poor Tara literally lives 3 years without talking to Willow. Wow, she really would have to keep that fire burning. But who wouldn't for Willow?

Anyway, sorry to be over analytical, but my brain wont shut up! I woke up in a cold sweat a couple nights ago thinking about time portals. It wasn't pretty.

:peace

-pipsberg

"We live our lives, do whatever we do, and then we sleep - it's as simple and ordinary as that."

Michael Cunningham, The Hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:05 am 
You really sure are evil.

You can't do that :gnome Making me wait and wait and wait (Tara too) Poor us.

Agh! :smash (have to hit something to release my frustration)

Please continue soon. The story is great

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next