The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 362 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Geek Love
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:25 pm 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

Topics: 1
Title: Geek Love
Author: watty (hiddenwatson@gmail.com)
Distribution: please email me first (except if you're Chris, who gets the distribution right by, um, right)
Rating: PG-13 to R
Disclaimers: BtVS characters and concepts belong to Mutant Enemy, Fox, The WB, UPN and others. Densha Otoko characters and concepts belong to Fuji Television, Toho Ltd and others.
Summary: Contemporary AU. Shy geek rescues and falls in love with perfect woman. No, does not compute.
Notes: this is based on the Japanese phenomenon, densha otoko ("train man"), which was supposed to be a true story and which begat a book, several manga series, a film, and a tv series. This is also my first attempt at fluff. Hee.
Notes 2: the IRC channel #geeklove actually exists on irc.blitzed.org, thanks to MistressWashi for setting it up for me.

Part 1

A busy shopping street in the late afternoon. Just another ordinary day.

"... with this, you're instantly transformed into a professional chef. Look at how it slices through the onion, no more tears ever." The sales pitch of the sidewalk salesman intermingled with the "ooooh's and aaaah's" from his appreciative audience. He expertly sliced through the onion and moved to demonstrate the mandolin slicer's other functions.

He had the crowd in his hands. It was time to close the sales. He looked around him and spied the perfect target.

"Young lady!" he called out to a twenty-something redhead in embarrassingly (un)co-ordinated clothing and currently with her nose buried in a games console. Needless to say, she didn't hear him.

"Hey! Geek girl!" he tried again, louder this time.

Willow Rosenberg was immersed in navigating Lara Croft through a complex puzzle grid while simultaneously battling giant spiders that spit out poison from all its arms. She was too busy imagining herself as the intrepid adventurer, the shout from the salesman jolted her from the world of artifacts, gadgets and an incredibly hot woman with impossible figure in a drop dead gorgeous outfit.

"This is perfect for someone as unhealthy-looking as you," the salesman continued. "Come, come here." He grabbed Willow's arms and propelled her next to his demonstration table.

Willow resisted his pull, but was no match for his determination. She glanced down at the screen of her PSP, where Lara was getting ready to swing from a narrow ledge; the next move would need a series of precise button sequence. She was never going to make it with the distraction of the salesman.

"Now, take a look at this! You can grate, slice, dice ... you can do anything. Pay attention to the cutting action, isn't it smooth? Now you can make a salad in no time," the rattle of the sales pitch continued.

Willow started inching away, unsure of what was expected from her and desperate to get back to the game ... the whistles and the upping of the music tempo hinted that Lara was in danger of falling off the ledge. But the salesman was too fast for her, he shoved the PSP aside and the mandolin into her hands. "Now you try it out!" he barked.

"But, but ... I ..." she stammered.

"Just push the knob like this," he demonstrated. "What do you think of it?"

"It's, erm, useful," Willow offered.

"Only 'useful'?" the salesman challenged.

"Um, it's great," she said, not really interested in the state of the kitchen gadget. "But ..."

"But?"

"I have no use for it."

"Then give it to your parents! Grandparents! Room-mate. They'll love it."

"But I'm saving up for some more games," she waved her PSP timidly.

"Phooey! These games are unhealthy for you. Do you know what you'll become if you sit in front of a computer all day? Do you have any idea how unhealthy it is? Young lady, the choice is yours ... a body that rots away into oblivion or one that is fit and healthy. Now, what will you do?"

Willow was caught, and started panicking. She had no choice.

"Did you see that?" said a dark-haired young man in a gray t-shirt with sleeves rolled up so they bunched up untidily over his shoulders.

"Yes! Must be only for one microsecond, but I saw it!" said a second young man, he was blonde and his scruffy shirt was partially untucked from his jeans.

They had their noses pressed up against the glass window of an electronics store.

"Did you see what color?"

"Flaming red!"

"We're such pervs."

"I'm sorry I'm late," Willow puffed as she ran up to her two best friends. "What are you watching?"

"Boys' stuff," said the first young man.

"Xander Harris, don't feed me that line. Now, who were you two drooling over?"

Xander rolled his eyes and turned to the second young man. "You tell her."

"Why me?"

"Because, Andrew, it was your idea."

The young man known as Andrew looked back at his friend Xander forlornly, but Xander wasn't giving him any help at all.

"Well?" Willow tapped her foot impatiently.

"Minaspantiescough," Andrew mumbled.

"Mina's what? Mina’s panties?" Willow exclaimed.

"Shhhhh!" Xander tried to put his hand to Willow's mouth, but only succeeding in flapping his arm about. "People will hear!"

"This is geek street, no one will care, especially when most of them also lust after Mina," Willow pointed out.

"Why are you late anyway?" Andrew decided to divert the topic of conversation away from his and Xander's obsession with an anime character's underwear.

"Well ..." Willow glanced embarrassingly at the carrier bags in her hands.

"So what kind of evil did we give into today?" Xander asked as he motioned for Willow to hand over the bags for his inspection.

She complied and Xander proceeded to take precise inventory of the bags' contents. "A heart-rate monitor," he said, cocking one eyebrow at Willow.

"It takes the heart-rate and measures distances when you're jogging. It has an alarm and even shows the time in six different timezones," Willow said.

"You don't jog, Will," Xander deadpanned, fishing out the next gadget. "A salad slicer. See previous observation but re: cooking."

"I'll give it to my Dad," Willow defended.

"A self-study CD," Andrew interjected, having retrieved the next 'treasure' from the carrier bag. "Hypnosis: Unleashing Your Inner Zen. What the cheese?"

Willow by this time had given up explaining. She shrugged.

But the pièce de résistance, as unearthed by Xander, was enough to send the three friends into unending giggles.

"Will, you've lost your mind. What do you intend to do with a giant toy fork?" Xander asked while watching the fork twirl around on the bright red handle.

"It's not just any fork. It's a self-twirling spaghetti fork. It makes eating pasta so much easier," Willow harrumphed. "They also had a motorized ice cream cone, but I decided against it."

"Excellent self control," Andrew muttered.

"What did you say?" Willow challenged.

"Excellent, we have to go," he said.

She wanted to throw a witty comeback at him, but couldn't think of one. She grabbed the boxes and stuffed them back inside her carrier bags.

"Let's go then," she huffed.

The three friends walked the short distance into a shop stacked full of action figures, DVDs, comics and electronic toys. At the back of the shop was a platform where a table was set up for a book signing. The line had already snaked around the shelves in the shop and they meekly took their place at the end.

"Look at her. She's so beautiful," Xander swooned.

"I wonder what she wears when she goes to bed," Andrew said dreamily.

"Stop having disgusting thoughts, Wells," Willow shot Andrew a 'I don't know you' look.

"Heh, like you've never fantasized about the gorgeousness of Mina," Andrew smirked.

"The hotness of her personality, and yes okay, her outfits too. But no naughty thoughts. Is that your one allowed question?" she asked pointedly.

"I'm ignoring you. Disconnecting audio line-in now," Andrew pouted.

"Fine," Willow snorted. "Does he know the difference between Karin the actress and Mina the character?" she turned and asked Xander.

Xander shrugged, too intent on the action figures he had picked up and were examining closely.

The line inched forward and soon they were at the signing table where they handed over comics and photographs for her autograph. They couldn’t linger long, soon they were shepherded out of the shop.

"I need to go, otherwise my brother will do nasty things to my Boba Fett action figure collection," Andrew said.

"Yeah, my parents are home too, someone is needed to keep the peace," Xander added.

The three friends headed toward the subway station, still discussing their encounter with their idol.

"I like Mina's ankles, just imagining her ankles ..." Xander was almost drooling.

"Her legs make me all sweaty," Andrew added. "Her face is like a goddess' too. Willow?"

"Um, I, I like her lips," Willow blushed.

"If I had a wish now, I'd wish for the pre-release DVD of the newest Mina movie to land as if by magic in my hands right now," Xander sighed.

"Oh me too. May be Willow can find it for us?" Andrew hinted.

"I'm not going to torrent the latest Mina movie for you, they track IP addresses you know," Willow retorted.

"You don't want the Mina movie? What sort of Mina otaku are you? What's your wish then?" Andrew challenged.

Willow walked a few steps before she answered. "I wish for someone to call my own, someone who can see me for who I am," she mused.

"Oh my god, off-topic! Look who's turning soft on us!" Xander exclaimed.

Willow endured her friends' teasing silently. She didn't know why she had told them something so intimate; she was sure neither Xander nor Andrew would understand. She knew who would though.

Out in the harbor, light jazz music filtered from the deck of a 90 foot luxury yacht, where a cocktail party was in full swing. White-coated waiters weaved inconspicuously around well-dressed party-goers, serving Cristal in crystal and dainty canapés on silver platters.

"That was an amazing speech by the Chairman, and did you see how Aura tried to suck up to the new Wealth Management head?" a bottle blonde said to her companion, a tall brunette with a wide smile and big hair.

"That little black dress of hers doesn't hide much does it? Got his attention though," the brunette replied.

"You're pretty well dressed up yourself, Cordy," the blonde remarked.

"Oh really?" Cordelia Chase waved her hand lightly, as if dressing up was the least of her intentions and she looked sexy and gorgeous by accident. "You're not too bad yourself, Anya."

"Well, just because we're not giddy teenagers anymore doesn't mean --"

"Oh look!" Cordy interrupted.

"What? Where, where?" Anya snapped her head round to the direction her companion was pointing.

"Over there," Cordy pointed at a dapper gentleman in tuxedo. "The Colin Firth look-alike, he even sips champagne with style."

"He has all the girls swooning over him for sure," Anya laughed.

"I'm going in. Those girls are no match for me. Watch," Cordy took one last gulp of her champagne and took the full glass that was in Anya's hand.

"Have you seen Tara?" Anya asked.

"Probably somewhere getting all the other men's attention," Cordy said over her shoulder as she confidently strutted over to where her target was. When she was just the right distance from him, she quite deliberately tripped and her champagne spilled over the man's dress pants. With a concerned gasp, she immediately started wiping the offending liquid off while loudly apologizing and chastising herself.

Anya frowned at her friend's antics, but decided that if Cordy wanted to humiliate herself for the sake of landing a man, she was more than welcome to.

She took off on a mission to find her other friend, soon locating her on the upper deck looking serenely out at the night sky. Tara was in a flowing silk dress, elegant yet understated. A single-strand silver chain at her neck accentuating the diamond pendant nestled at the hollow of her throat. Her blonde hair was intricately arranged up, with stray strands tastefully framing her face.

"I'm surprised you're out here on your own. Cordy thinks you're surrounded by male type admirers," Anya said as she walked up to Tara.

Tara glanced at a small cluster of men discreetly watching them and sighed. "I wish they wouldn't. I'll never get used to it."

"What were you looking at?"

"Nothing. Just the night sky and the lights."

"And look, there's a shooting star. Quick, wish for something."

"That's not a shooting star, it looks like a plane."

"Whatever. I'm going to say it’s a shooting star. What would you wish for if you had a wish?"

Tara stopped to think for a small second.

"Someone to call my own, someone who can see me for who I am, beyond this tiresome glitter," she said softly.

"You have your pick of anyone you want, why are you still looking for the One? Look around us, any single person on this boat is a catch. Why do you want something different?" Anya asked, casting her arms around the occupants of the yacht.

"Everyone's so fake. I can't stand it, Anya," Tara sighed.

"Then you better face up to reality, because this is our world. Beyond us, it's nothing but banality," Anya stated. "Look at us, Tara, can you see ourselves as some little wife, tending our small village shop while our carpenter husbands go out and work at a construction site? Well, for me anyway. We go out into that world, and we'd drown."

A discreet announcement circulated, that it was time for the Chairman's presentation. Before she went inside with Anya, Tara cast her eye back to the busy city, as if searching for something, someone, she knew was out there, but didn't know how to find them.

Post subject: Re: Geek Love
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:01 pm 
30. Sweaty and Kinda Gay

WOO!! HELL YA!! DIBS!

Okay... so I already read this...but I wanted to secure the dibs... so I'll be leaving feedback in a sec. heehee

ETA: Okay I'm back :D

Watty, I'm so excited about this. I just love your stories...[gush]

Okay so... feedback. Right.

How cute was Willow, Xander and Andrew! SO cute! I love the dynamic you've set up between them. I love that Willow's best friends are two guys and that they are all sort of geeky. hehe. Xand was so obsessed with this Mina chick-y LOL.

So, Cordy and Tara are friends? Hmm... that should be interesting LOL

And it was sweet how Willow and Tara both had the same thoughts about the type of person they wanted to be with. Foreshadowing much? :D

I loved this whole chapter, but this was my favorite part:

Quote:
"Phooey! These games are unhealthy for you. Do you know what you'll become if you sit in front of a computer all day? Do you have any idea how unhealthy it is? Young lady, the choice is yours ... a body that rots away into oblivion or one that is fit and healthy. Now, what will you do?"

kinda obscure, I know... but I just love the feel of it.

Okay... so ... more more more??

xoxo
Emms

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:11 pm 
3. Flaming O

Hey! Might I be the first to say that I think this fic has great potential, and I for one am really looking forward to reading how you get the two completely different worls to meet! Yup, I'm gonna keep my eye on this one!

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:44 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

You posted it! GREAT! i love it so far, sweetie! i can't wait for their encounter! update soon please!

"When you get excited about something, one might imagine you as a small, maniacally grinning rubber ball, which someone throws at the wall in an enclosed room, and goes bouncing off every surface for about 15 minutes."
- Mudrat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:13 pm 
2. Floating Rose

train man hmm? i only saw the first ep, but i'm more interested in finding out how it end with willow/tara. keep on writing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:27 pm 
9. Gay Now

Watty! Yay!!!

You sly devil, you. I can't believe that you are ready to post so soon!
You have been a very busy girl. :buried

I have been very much anticipating the debut of your new fic and... here it is!! Ta Da!!! :dance

Um, so , actual feedback.

I am seeing two worlds here - the geeky inoccent and kinda gullible world of Willow, Xander and Andrew vs the glamorous and 'cultured' world of Tara, Cordelia and Anya. I am wondering how in the heck these two worlds are going to collide.

I must say I think I really am going to enjoy these characters - Especially the Geek 3-Musketeers.I have always thought that Andrew was hilarious and especially thought that the whole Xander-geekiness/Andrew geekiness thing was fodder for much hilarity... I am *really* looking forward to reading what you have done with that dynamic duo.!

I have a harder time seeing Tara in a haute culture sort of world - I can see Cordy and Anya there easily, All three are beautiful and elusive to be sure, but Tara seems out of place - but I think that maybe that is the dynamic that you are trying to set up.

I really like the premise of this story! I can't wait to read what you have in store for our girls.

Three cheers for Watty's new fic!

:clap :clap :clap

hip hip hooray (rinse and repeat as desired)

Yay!

db

:dance

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:37 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Oooh, so thats what you were working on? Hehe I love it already, so keep it coming.

Willow as video game freak, hanging out with andrew and xander, that has to be funny but... Tomb Raider?!? That game's soooo history! The genre's a bit too old for it to fit the geek-style in my liking, but then again, its your world, and your story.

And that salesman is wicked hehe. I wouldnt have bought his stuff though :P

when do we get to read more?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:21 am 
2. Floating Rose

Hi,
very nice. I am interested how willow and tara meet.I can see so many possible conflicts and settings. Oouuuu plain and simple, you got me stuck on your story.

Thanks for sharing your story. I promise to be here and read and leave feedback..
And always see if you have an update :smug ;-) .
And I'm very curious about 'Densha Otoko'. Is there a website where i could check it out? I know i could google it. Im lazy so shoot me :blush .
so thanks again. :pray update..ahehehe..
ok ok i'll wait. and yeeeaaah.. im geek so.. yeah.

ciao,
j0an
:kgeek

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:17 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Yay! I a new tale from Watty.

I confess to knowing nothing about densha otoko ("train man"), but I'm a sucker for "geek gets the girl" stories.

Looking forward to more.
Michelle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:09 am 
18. Breast Gal

Topics: 4
Great start - a classic meeting-of-two-worlds tale, and (it looks like) a celebration of all things geeky. Willow, Xander and Andrew are just so, so, geeky... truly the pinnacle of what geek would aspire to, if everyone else would stop making them feel embarrassed about it. 'Disconnecting audio input', 'off-topic', :lmao And Tara, so alone in her crowd of upper-class snobs - who, of course, would never be seen dead with a geek. Their loss, as I expect we'll find out, but it's a situation that's ripe for plenty of romantic-comedy ups and downs.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:34 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

I been a lurker for some time but now I registered after reading this fic.

Densha Otoko(Train Man) is one of my favorite shows and to see it made into a fanfic with Willow and Tara as the main characters, KITA !!!
キタ━━━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━━━ !!!!

The question is , what type of setting will you be putting this in, will this be Sunnydale California, or Akihabara, Japan.

Keep up the good work and i'll look forward to the next part Watty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:43 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

:pinky oh I am so on board with this can,t wait more please :kdevil

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:55 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

:sheep

Watty!!! I am so freakin excited to see you started posting the new fic!!! I love it already! Any fic with Anya AND Andrew is going to be pretty funny im willing to bet :party

I love that willow is a complete geek.. I never understood that manga stuff but hey.. love it anyways! I cant wait to read about when and how they meet. This is going to be great stuff!

More? Please.. dont make me beg lol. Love ya

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:26 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

Woo hoo, watty! Time for some geek lovin'. That didn't sound so suggestive in my head. :flirt

I have to say that while you say in the disclaimers that this is your first attempt at writing fluff, I have a suspicion that it won't be all fluff. If I know my watty, then there will be some layers. Not that I'm trying to saddle you (heh, I said "saddle you") with the expectations of a complicated plot or anything, but watty, your stories have ulteriority and depth even if you're not intending that as a primary function.

I'm a sucker for those infomercials, although Willow doesn't seem to pay them much mind. I can only imagine what a LIVE infomercial would do to me (says the owner of Homeland Houseware's Magic Bullet blender system - what a name for a kitchen product, eh?). Also, I love it that you use the word "discreet" correctly - anecdotally, it's the most-often misspelled word in fan fiction, according to me.

I love the delicious tension you're setting up between these two women from very different worlds and circles. I can't wait for more.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:00 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Topics: 4
Yay! I got in on the ground floor on one of your fics!

Nice set up, watty. I'm curious about who the Chairman is, and the whole social structure between the two classes. I'm digging the snappy flow of the prose with the geeks, and the more sedate pace of the socialites. So much potential for hilarity with the groupings you came up with, and yay again, you're using Andrew, one of the most underappreciated characters in the Jossverse. Granted, he was just on the show for laughs, but that's why he's perfect for something lighthearted.

I know it's early, but I can't get a good scan of the age groups we're talking here. The geeks seem younger than Tara and her crew, but that might just be a result of being geeks. And joy, I like geek Willow. There's little to no resistance to any of the characters in me so far. Weird.

Y'know, I normally don't like to come into a multi-part story at the beginning just because I just don't know if I want to make a long-term commitment to it. It's so much easier to paraglide into a top floor window of a completed or near-completion fic (well, maybe not easier metaphorically speaking) but I don't mind getting stuck in the elevator with this one, cause I know the writing will be top-notch, even if the author doesn't update as often as greedy-reader-me likes. What Sally said, ditto. In my screwed up way of analyzing, readers can only get out what a writer puts in, and it ALWAYS SHOWS. A fluff piece is the same as any other bit of writing. Good luck, watty!

binky

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:30 am 
3. Flaming O

Topics: 2
hey it looks to be a really good story hope you update soon I'm very interested and I'll bug u till u update it so DO IT SOON please.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:56 am 
21. Geek Infested Roots

I wasn't too sure of what to expect when I read this, watty. The only fic of yours that I've read was "Common Areas", and while that was good, it was a bit angsty and dramatic. So I'm rather surprised that you managed to pull off a comedy fic like this.

I could just picture Willow, Xander and Andrew as being the stereotypical "geeks", what with Willow being so absorbed in her PSP (though I don't think there were any Tomb Raider games for it), and Andrew and Xander ogling a famous celebrity. Sounds like something I would do. (And as a matter of fact, something I have done, though...not in that way.)

And Cordelia, Anya and Tara...well, not much I can say about them at the moment. Though I get the feeling that it's going to be amusing to see "upper class" Tara mix with "geek" Willow.

Can't wait for more.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:51 am 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

Emmy

Hi! I just love your stories too! Thank you for reading, and your enthusiastic feedback. Andrew is an ambivalent character as far as I'm concerned, I can't help but feel that if he had met the right people, he would have been a decent white hat. He's definitely much more geeky than Xander or Willow, so it felt right to have him as the third member of the trio. Cordy and Anya and Tara ... that's another trio whose interactions I will explore in later chapters.

Re: foreshadowing, heehee. Good catch! I was trying to portray W/T as individuals who are comfortable in their respective worlds, but not quite fitting in, and looking for ... something. Hope you enjoy thisfic, I had a great time writing it.

~~~~~

Shai

Thanks! They are in slightly different worlds, but in this day and age, are the differences as marked as in days past? Let's see, eh? Thanks for reading!

~~~~~

Vale

Yes sweetcakes, I posted. Isn't it grand? Not long to wait for their encounter now.

~~~~~

toasterovnofdoom

Wow, I didn't know how widely available the TV series is, so I'm glad to have readers who have seen it. The fic follows the TV series quite loyally actually, I find it more interesting and has more substance than the film.

~~~~~

db

Hi fellow macgeek! I like your description of Tara, Cordy and Anya's world as 'cultured' -- that's exactly how I pictured it. On the other hand, nowadays we have geeks who love opera and posh people who play in bands, so the boundaries between the worlds are blurring. Exactly what you're saying, that Tara doesn't seem 100% comfortable in the role that she has been given in society. Andrew has a lot of potential as a geek and he was the first person I thought of, to complement Willow and Xander. How are they going to meet? You'll find out soon. :P

~~~~~

Kro

Quote:
Tomb Raider?!? That game's soooo history!

Not that I claim to know anything about video games, but didn't Tomb Raider: Legend just got released on the PSP? May be I didn't do my research properly. *shrug* Heehee about the salesman, in my mind he's like the fly that buzzes around your room and doesn't go away.Hmm, not a very good analogy. Anyway, thanks for reading and next chapter will be posted this weekend.

~~~~~

redjassy

Quote:
I'm very curious about 'Densha Otoko'. Is there a website where i could check it out?

There are a few, which I unearthed as I was researching for this fic: wikipedia entry, Japanese dramas page, translation project, film.

They'll meet soon enough, thanks for reading and aren't we all geeks in some form or other?

~~~~~

mole

Don't worry about not being familiar with Train Man, I hadn't heard of it before I started writing. It's a pretty standard "different worlds collide" story, and I hope all of us can find something that speaks to us in the story. Thanks, Michelle.

~~~~~

Chris

Definitely a meeting-of-two-worlds, not sure about "classic" status yet. :P See, I like this trio of Willow, Xander and Andrew, I think they make believable geeks. Andrew especially. You will probablyrecognise that I borrowed the Xander and Andrew geekiness from Watchers, because they have good dynamic over there. Tara is comfortable in her world, but she can't help feeling a bit hollow sometimes. Thanks!

~~~~~

Pochi

Oh my, I'm honored to inspire you to delurk. :) Kitaa indeed! I didn't expect to meet someone who's seen the show in full, I hope I can do it justice. _|-|o The fic is set in Sunnydale because that's the place where we the writers and readers here on the KB are familiar with. At least that's my justification anyway. Hope you enjoy the rest of the story.

~~~~~

Dianneswillowtree

Thanks! I like your use of "on board with this" -- because of the train connection. Heehee.

~~~~~

Jackie

So, to make Jacks happy all I need is Anya and Andrew in a fic? Heehee. I'm not that much of a comic/anime/manga fan either, but I can understand the obsession, so hopefully I can use that aspect in thefic . Thanks for reading, and you don't have to wait, I promise regular updates. And very little angst too, which I think you'll be happy with. Love ya too.

~~~~~

Sally

Hey you! Well, I'm not sure if I know how to write the pink candyfloss type of fluffy stories. The reason I'm slapping (heh I said slapping) a "fluff" label on this fic is because it isn't very long and I'm sparing with the detailed descriptions, emotions and angst. There isn't a whole lot of character development either, because it basically is about 2 unlikely people who meet. I hope it's fun to read, and thanks by the way for the comments on the early parts. I am posting sans beta, which means I'm doubly grateful for your help. I think it was you (or Debra) who picked up on discreet vs discrete in something I wrote earlier, and I've been careful since then. Thanks again, you're a pal.

~~~~~

binky

I get it when you say sometimes it's preferable to read a completed or near-completed story rather than trying to keep up with it as it gets posted. If it makes you feel better, let me tell you that the fic is finished and unless I'm busy or traveling I will be posting on a weekly basis.

The characters are around the same age, early to mid-twenties. Willow and the geeks will appear to be younger because as you pointed out, they are geeks and interested in what the mainstream views as more immature things. I'm glad you chimed in with approval for Andrew-geek, I think he has good chemistry with Xander and Willow, and like I said above, he was the obvious choice to make up the trio.

Thanks for reading and it's always a pleasure to see your name in a thread.

~~~~~

guitar_girl

Thank you. No need to bug, next part will be posted this weekend.

~~~~~

Sith

Ah, yes. When I mentioned to some people that I'm writing a new fic one of the first reaction was "it's going to be angsty isn't it?" I'm thinking may be I've acquired a reputation or two somewhere. :hm

Quote:
I don't think there were any Tomb Raider games for [a PSP]

Honestly I don't own a PSP (my last games console whether tabletop or handheld is a Playstation 2) but I know Tomb Raider: Legend is available at amazon.

Anyway, thanks for stopping by Alex and I'm glad you like the comedy element. I can write comedy, honest!

[br]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:49 pm 
3. Flaming O

I will refrain from posting TWoP-esque just this once to tell you that I really like the start of this story. I can already see that it will be very compelling, including lots of product placement. This post: brought to you by the good people at Sony.

I am wondering if Willow is the only "geek" in this story, and I'm looking forward to more background on Tara's character. As usual, you've written a wonderful story. Looking forward to more!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:26 pm 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

mary - I'm so happy to see your name that I forgot all about posting for a minute. :lol about snarkage and product placement! Those poor folks at Sony, with the rootikt fiasco. Well, not poor because they don't have my sympathies aaaaand stopping myself before I get off-topic (neither Sars-of-my-imagination nor my co-snarker are available at this moment). Willow isn't the only geek in this story, oh no, but I'm not telling yet. :P More about Tara's background later, but I've realized this is not a character driven story ... I did say it's fluff after all ... so there won't be scads of exposition. Thanks for stopping by!

[hr][br]

Title: Geek Love
Author: watty
email: hiddenwatson@gmail.com
Distribution: please email me first
Rating: PG-13 to R
Disclaimers: BtVS characters and concepts belong to Mutant Enemy, Fox, The WB, UPN and others. Densha Otoko characters and concepts belong to Fuji Television, Toho Ltd and others.
Summary: Contemporary AU. Shy geek rescues and falls in love with perfect woman. No, does not compute.
Notes: this is based on the Japanese phenomenon, densha otoko ("train man"), which was supposed to be a true story and which begat a book, several manga series, a film, and a tv series. This is also my first attempt at fluff. Hee.
Notes 2: the IRC channel #geeklove actually exists on irc.blitzed.org, thanks to MistressWashi for setting it up for me.

Part 2

It was almost midnight, yet the train station was filled with people. Late night revelers, buzzed from the high of the evening that they didn't want to end. Shift workers trying to make ends meet. Lonely hearts waiting desolately for their turn in the wheel of love. Lovers stealing tiny kisses in plain sight of embarrassed onlookers. Poets, thieves and drunkards shifted their feet uneasily under flickering fluorescent lights that were never bright enough, impatiently waiting for the tiny rumble that would signal the impending entrance of the train.

Anya said good-bye to Tara and stepped off the train onto the dirty tiled surface of the platform. Vaguely she heard the tannoy announce that there would be a short delay because a train ahead had been held up. She glanced at her watch and made her way quickly toward the stairs that led to the exit. She had no desire to linger any longer than necessary at the station. She opened up her bag and was fishing inside for her cellphone when a shape in a hurry ran smack into her. She looked at the other person and was appalled to see a flustered redhead who was trying to gather up junk that had fallen out of the giant carrier bags that she was holding.

Anya's nose wrinkled in barely concealed distaste at the dvds, posters and comics of what appeared to be a cartoon that was scattered around her feet. The nerd girl looked around her age, yet appeared younger because of an abject lack of any trace of sophistication. Plus, a twenty-something still interested in cartoons? Anya shook her head. Her own wallet, a white alligator leather limited edition from Chloé, had also fallen out, to her chagrin, on the filthy floor. The nerd girl reached out to pick up the wallet, but Anya immediately pounced on it.

"Don't touch it!" she exclaimed, with more shrill in her voice than intended.

"I'm sorry," the nerd girl kept repeating. "Let me help."

"I said, don't touch anything," Anya yelped. She grabbed her wallet and stood up hurriedly, intent on getting away from the girl.

She hadn't gone too far down the rest of the stairs when she felt a hand on her arm. She jumped with the shock.

It was the nerd girl. "You forgot this," she muttered, handing over a cosmetic brush. It was coated with dust and lint, and Anya frowned as she gingerly extended her hand to take the brush from the girl's hand. Without another word she walked away from the girl, with a scandalized expression on her face. As she neared a trashcan, she forcefully threw the brush inside. She ignored the stunned gasp that escaped from the girl.

Willow was aghast at the other girl's attitude. She could never understand her type anyway; they were snobs, hunted in packs and tended to bully her, so she stayed as far away as possible. An announcement about the train about to depart made her cast aside thoughts of the rude snob girl as she ran toward her train.

She found a corner seat and arranged the carrier bags so they formed a makeshift fortress around her feet. She looked around the rest of the train, careful to avoid eye contact. A giggling teenaged couple barely able to contain themselves sat next to her; a group of middle-aged ladies talking about knitting opposite them; and a beautiful blonde girl reading a book sitting directly opposite her. Willow risked a second look at the blonde and she was captivated immediately. Fine wispy hair, clear blue eyes, flawless skin, even the dress (which she knew nothing about but was sure it was expensive) and the posture screamed elegance.

In other words, the Perfect Woman.

And the very definition of Perfect Woman in Willow's books ... unattainable.

"I think she's a model," the teenagers next to her were whispering to each other.

"She's pretty," they continued.

"I want to get her autograph," one said.

"Don't be stupid! What if she isn't a model?" the other one whispered more urgently.

The answer from the first teenager was drowned by a loud crash at the other end of the compartment. The door between the compartments snapped open and a middle-aged man in a disheveled suit stumbled through.

"Bastards gotta make these doors automatic," he slurred as the doors slammed shut behind him. He was obviously very drunk as he staggered toward the seated passengers, all of whom turned away in embarrassment.

"They must put eggs in Happy Meals," he declared, almost falling on a young man who was listening to his iPod. "What're you listening to? Something no good?" he squinted at him.

The young man squirmed and tried to turn away, but the drunk was relentless, smacking him with his rolled up newspaper. Then his attention was diverted to musical notes coming from the briefcase of another young man. "You!" he continued. "Why is your cell ringing?"

"It's nothing --" the young man said, trying to keep his composure.

"Don't talk back at me, punk," the drunk yelled, while violently yanking at the young man's hair. "Now tell me about your girlfriend. Does she have nice tits?"

The young man struggled, but was unable to escape the death-grip of the drunk. "You are all useless. Useless," the drunk continued his assault.

Willow wished someone could stop him, but the other passengers were either unable or unwilling. Even the able-bodied seemed to be intimidated by the drunk's behavior. He continued to spew tirades about random objectionables, lurching from one side of the compartment to another while he moved closer to Willow's end. She was beginning to feel anxious, and hugged her backpack closer to her body.

"Who's laughing at me? Who? You people are jerks. I hate you, all of you. Bastards," he was closer now and was screaming at the teenagers next to Willow.

Seemed like nobody was immune to his attack. He looked around for his next target. Willow audibly gulped.

Uh oh.

"I know what you're thinking," his face was mere inches from hers as he stepped closer and leaned in. She could smell the alcohol and smoke and whatever else she didn't want to think about on him. "You're thinking I'm a loser, that you're better'n me? Huh??"

Willow shook her head, she was terrified that he would hit her. "N-n-n-no," she whimpered.

"Shuddup!" he shouted. "Who told you to speak?"

Willow never felt so threatened in her life. This was one man who couldn't even walk in a straight line, and he was terrorizing a trainful of people. She wished there was something someone could do, but the man was bigger and stronger than her, and in his state probably violent too. He spun around and almost collapsed in a heap on the floor next to her, but at the last moment caught his grip on the handrails.

This brought him into direct line of sight of the pretty blonde, who was trying to be as small and inconspicuous as possible.

"Ooooh, you're cute," he growled as he checked her out, his eyes traveling up and down her body with repulsive, barely contained greed.

Willow felt dirty. She couldn't imagine how the girl felt.

"Come on, baby, show papa what you got," the man leered. His grubby arm made its way around her shoulders and he was trying to sniff her. She was visibly trembling.

"S-s-stop it, please," she begged.

"Stop? I haven't done anything yet. Let me show you ..." he smirked, stood up and fumbled at his pants.

Willow snapped. This was too much, he was violating the girl with ... with ...

"Stop it!" she stood up and faced the man.

He turned slowly around, contempt clearly in his eyes. "What did you say?"

Willow was shaking with fear, but she couldn't allow this animal to continue. How dare he presume to touch perfection? "I-i-i'm telling you to s-s-stop," she tried to sound confident but she knew she was failing miserably.

"Well how about that? You are telling me to stop? Who do you think you are, little girl?" he taunted her, one side of his mouth turned up in a sneer.

"Can't you see you're scaring her?" Willow countered. And me.

"I'll do more than that. Now get out of my way, you punk!" he yelled and grabbed hold of Willow's jacket, trying to lift her off the floor.

Willow had never been in a fight before. Well, mock fights with Xander when they were five years old didn't count. The man was bigger and stronger than her, she tried hitting him but her hands connected to thin air. He was about to push her to the floor, and she knew that once he had her pinned down, she was a goner. In desperation she tried one last effort, and kicked out with as much force as she could.

Her shoes connected with his ankle, and he fell back with a loud grunt. The force propelled Willow to the floor too and she fell face down onto the hard surface.

The man had gotten up and was crawling toward Willow, his mouth spitting obscenities. She knew that was it. She saw her entire life flash by in front of her eyes.

"Not so fast." A pair of strong hands had gotten hold of the man's arm and twisted it around his back.

Willow looked up to see that a transport policeman had found his way to the compartment and had the struggling drunk under control. Another policeman rushed in and they led the man away quickly. Only then did she realized her breath was short and her heart was pounding furiously. There was also a throbbing pain at her nose.

"Are you alright?" a soft lilting voice sounded directly in front of her. She looked up into the blue eyes of the girl who, just a minute ago, was the object of harassment for the drunk. "Your nose is bleeding."

Willow gingerly reached up to her nose and it was tender. "Ow," she yipped, as she tried to contain the bleeding.

"Here, let me," the girl reached in with a piece of tissue and dabbed at Willow's nose. Even in her shocked state Willow couldn't help notice how soft the girl's hands were.

"I'm fine, thank you," she took hold of the by now crumbled and bloodied tissue. She didn't want it to spoil the girl's spotless skin.

"Excuse me, would you mind following me to the station office? I'll need you to file a statement." The policeman had returned and struck out a hand to help Willow get up on her feet. "Both of you. I apologize for the inconvenience, but with an incident report it'll be easier to deal with the guy. Regardless of whether you want to press charges," he added.

They followed him to the office, where the chattering middle-aged ladies were already there, telling the duty officer their version of how they were threatened by the drunk and how they so wanted to stand up to him but of course were no match.

The policeman sat Willow and the girl at an interview table and handed each a form to complete, informing them that he would return in a few minutes with hot drinks.

Her hands were still shaking, but she managed to write down in squiggly letters her personal information. She wasn't sure whether she was supposed to complete the actual report or to leave it to the duty officer.

One of the chattering ladies approached her. "Thank you for your help back there," she said sincerely.

"Oh, it's nothing," Willow stammered.

The lady took out a small notebook. "Could you let me know your address? I'd like to send you something to show my thanks, you were very brave. I wish more young people were like you."

Willow stared blankly at the notebook, unsure of what she was supposed to do. "It's really okay. I couldn't," she replied, embarrassed at the attention.

"Please. It'll make me feel better. Indulge an old lady?" She placed the notebook directly under Willow's pen, and she had such an expectant expression that Willow didn't have the heart to refuse. She quickly scribbled her name and address and returned the notebook to its rightful owner.

"May I have your address too?" Another notebook had found its way in front of her. It was the blonde girl.

"Oh, no." Willow self-consciously shook her head.

"Please," the girl insisted.

Willow looked at the perfect features that had been in her mind and really, how could she resist? She could smell the mixture of the leather of the notebook and a tiny whiff of the girl's perfume and it was making her giddy.

The girl thanked her and the policeman returned at that moment. He took Willow's statement first, then turned to the girl. Willow had no excuse to stay at the office so she made her way back to the train, to continue her journey. She waved to the girl, but she was too engrossed at talking to the officer. Willow was sure that the girl would forget her the next morning anyway.

But she would never forget.

[br]

Last edited by watty on Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:35 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

DIBS

ETA: oohhhh.....she saved her! willow's a hero! that's probably what each of us dreams, to save the object of our affections and win their heart :hmm

willow's very lucky. and of course tara. and she sounds lovely from your descriptions.....*sigh* i want a tara too!

anya was.....a bitch. no surpise tho, you made it clear in the first part that she was snob. but tara's not....and i really want to know what is she gonna do with that address.

sweetie, i loved it! i want more!

:kiss1

"When you get excited about something, one might imagine you as a small, maniacally grinning rubber ball, which someone throws at the wall in an enclosed room, and goes bouncing off every surface for about 15 minutes."
- Mudrat

Last edited by Thianne on Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:35 pm 
3. Flaming O

I love it! I LOVE IT! More please!

**And that's how we raise the dead in Ericaland."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:48 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

:clap :clap :clap

I have to say watty I envisioned many different ways that they could meet and that wasnt one of them! I loved it of course :) What a creepy/scary man! Now you have me wondering.. if either Willow or Tara is openly gay? Im intrigued.. cant wait for more.. yay!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:36 am 
3. Flaming O

Oh, I think this is my new favourite fic! *grins* I love that they haven't met and instantly fallen in love, lol! I'm a fan of fics where they take time to actually get to know eachother.

This is wonderful stuff Watty...I hope you keep it up :)

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:21 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

:party Great chapter. Can't wait for more.
You descrive the drunk issue really well. I mean, with people wanting to someone to do something but doing nothing themselves by fear and such. Willow really was brave. She was terrified but speak out anyway. And the fight was a realistic one. Great work, really.congratulations
I'n not so sure about Tara forgetting about Willow so easily :blush he he
Update soon, please

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:30 am 
4. Extra Flamey

I'm enjoying the world you're creating in this fic. Especially liked the description of the different people on the train. I know it seems a strange detail to latch onto but I think it's because when I have occasion to utilize public transportation I find myself looking at the people around me and trying to figure out their stories - what makes them tick, what they're doing, where they're going. Hmm...does that make me sound too voyeuristic?

Hmmm...what exactly do Anya and Tara do for a living? Do they work at all? With Anya and Willow's collision you've set up future tension between Tara and Anya. When Tara and Willow get together (it's inevitable, yes?), Anya is sure to recognize the geek that knocked her wallet and make-up brush to the floor and will give Tara grief about being involved with the lower masses. Looking forward to that bit of dialouge:)

Someone in an earlier post brought up a good question about Willow and/or Tara being openly gay in this world. Willow's reaction to first noticing Tara would seem to hint that Willow does indeed lean toward 6 on the Kinsey scale, but is this a society that is accepting of GLBT folks? And what of Tara? She asked for Willow's name and address but did she want to to send a thank you as the older woman wanted or does she have some other purpose?

I'm sure all will be answered in time. Looking forward to more.
Michelle

Edited because spelling is difficult on a Saturday morning

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:31 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Yay! Great update! So well written i felt like I was in the train wanting to do something about it :P

As for tomb raider, well yeah there's this new game out, sure, but I doubt there was as many people waiting for the release as guild wars or Halo 2 hehe. But as I said, its your story, and your world, so it doesnt really matter.

Keep it up watty :) Looking forward to reading a lot more!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:53 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

LOVE IT!!! Tara definitely does not belong with the upper-class snobs. Keep it coming!

Tara: I am, you know.
Willow: What?
Tara: Yours.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:11 am 
3. Flaming O

Topics: 2
WOW!!!! What an update. It was fan-freggin-tastick I love loved loved it hope u update soon. P.S Anya was very mean

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:42 am 
16. Pancakes in Bellies

Wonderful Start! Keep it coming! :blush

By the Power of Grayskull!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 362 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next