The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Lamb - new fic
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:42 pm 
18. Breast Gal

Hey Phoenix!

You’ve done it again. Messin’ with the rules and I love it. Caleb still has some pretty fierce mojo, and he’s not afraid to use it to completely subvert everything. He always was creepy, and I love that you’ve brought him back for another go-round.
Quote:
She also wished she could be anywhere but here.

When you get to chapter 4 of “Paradox,” you’ll understand why I needed to mention this.
Quote:
Dirt clods on the coffin.

Again, the repetitive images. Well done.
Quote:
He was right. She couldn’t trust her mother. She never could. Her mother should have protected her, should have fought for her, should have known

So, who does Tara really have? No one but herself, and she’s having some issues trusting that right now. Sounds familiar, but I love the direction you’ve taken her feelings. It’s interesting to me that the dream images are actually less disturbing than the reality of what Tara is facing. She needs to be strong, and I’m sure you’ll make that happen. Another great update.

Thanks,
Diane

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:46 pm 
9. Gay Now

Eeep! :paranoid

Tara has had such a hard life -- but you know, I noticed that Caleb didn't say that she can't trust Willow.

He really really is evil incarnate. I hope Tara and Willow kill him soon, he's stirring up some nastiness that I'd like to spare Tara. Really. Hasn't her life been hard enough?

Looking forward to Wednesday!

db

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:22 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

I'm really hoping this is just a dream and did not actually happen!!!! But if so, I'm sure you'll weave a magical story around it nevertheless!

I am my beloved and my beloved is mine
-- King Solomon's Song of Songs

Only reality can escape the limits of our imagination
-- Rivka Galchen, Atmospheric Disturbances

Man is nothing else but that which he makes of himself
-- Jean-Paul Sartre

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:11 am 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Topics: 1
Wow, okay, that was a lot of bad mojo going on here, again. Stupid evil Caleb is now invading her dreams and still troubling her. But I'm still not sure just how much of this is really real or if he's just doing a huge mind fuck on Tara because of the spell. Her past was indeed horrible, but hopefully with the help of the goddesses and the love of Willow, she can finally have the life she deserves eventually.

Very well done again. Can't wait to see what's next.

P.S. My prayers are also with you, and I hope you're doing well. Keep hanging in there.

Wimpy

"There was plenty of magic." ~~ Tara

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:10 pm 
5. Willowhand

Greetings Phoenix,

This is my first hello and feedback to your story. I'm not certain what I can add to the already voluminous feedback, but I did want to thank you for this wonderfully-crafted story. It's ... sob-worthy, and addictive and beautiful.

I also wanted to wish you well during your time of recovery.

Sap-monster,
Kat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:17 am 
19. Yummy Face

Great update-y goodness.... I hope Tara soon finds love and acceptance in Willow.

There are lot's of people in Canada who have finnish ancestors... lots of people emigrated there to find work.

Posting While Nude Improves Your Mood.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:19 pm 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

Hi there Phoenix, I thought I better hurry up and get in my feedback for this chapter before the next one goes up!

Tara’s visions into her past were spooky and ominous indeed and spell an evil portent of doom for things to come…I love it! They were particularly horrifying though, which does make me marvel at the strength of Tara’s character, that she could survive her childhood and become such a courageous, kind woman.

Quote:
She was taking without permission. Stealing these kisses. Gods, she was a monster.

Ouch indeed! You have a wonderful ability to render something as sweet as Willow/Tara kisses into a guilt ridden angst trip for Tara that shows us her worst nightmare, unleashing Caleb’s vision of the way of things onto the world. Definitely no hugs and puppies in this chapter, I only hope it gives her the strength to kick Caleb’s arse well and truly!
Thanks for sharing your wonderful writing with us Phoenix and my sincerest wishes to you throughout this time in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:03 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
Phoenix - My sincerest apologies. I fully intended to give good long feedback for this chapter which so deserves it. I took the chapter with me to work today. But alas, work calls and it's not going to happen.

The chapter is fantastic and powerful and beautifully written.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:17 pm 
5. Willowhand

Thank you so much for the timeline. I knew it had been only a short time, but now find myself aghast at how much Tara has gone through in the space of 6 days. What a whirlwind!

Just a few more thoughts…
I love how creepy this update is. The creepy finger beckoning gesture, words like viscous tar, the damning amiable smile and method of speech, the mist forming into Caleb; you can just feel the slime seeping from Caleb’s pores.

Quote:
…and she fell lifeless to the ground, her red hair trailing like streams of blood.
What a powerful image. And that Caleb would kill her with such indignity! And the horror that Tara had to watch it all.

Quote:
And he wouldn’t even kill her.
This was dripping with distain. She isn’t even worthy of a second glance from him anymore.

Thank you for the wonderful update! I love how dark it is!

Post subject: Chapter Seventeen - Flesh Prison
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:14 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Note: big thanks to masterjendu, who helped with this chapter and the previous one. J, you are an inspiration to me.

Chapter Seventeen
Flesh Prison

Wakefulness eluded Tara for a long time. She struggled in the blanket that Ethan had laid on her, her muscles twitching and jerking as she witnessed the land gone mad, seeing all the hordes of hell following Caleb, his minions slavering over the taste of new power on their tongues and exulting in the fire and brimstone of Caleb’s wake. The sleep held her thickly, and it was long minutes before she finally was able to force her eyes open. She shut them again almost immediately; waking up had put her back in contact with her body, and her body was royally ticked off.

So Tara lay there with her eyes closed, and felt the spokes of the amulet poke her breasts, and smelled the faint antiseptic smell of the hospice, and listened to Willow’s gentle breathing in the bed next to her. With her eyes shut she could still see the horrifying images of her dream, and she softly groaned aloud, knowing what she had to do next. It wasn’t a mere dream, Tara, it was a prophecy, and it must be written down. Steeling herself against the pain that cracked through her like a shot from a rifle, Tara sat up and carefully rubbed her eyes. Her whole body throbbed in pain, yet she felt a little better for the sleep; her head was clear and her duty obvious.

Dim lights from the hallway softly illuminated the room, and Tara lit her watch to see what time it was, shocked to discover it was two in the morning. No matter. Do what must be done, first, then worry about the rest. Tara tucked her chocolate brown hair behind her ears and very slowly got up from the couch, shuffling a bit in her socks, going straight for the slender redhead sleeping so very delicately. Tara lifted her hand and ran her finger softly along the scar down Willow’s cheek, then she carefully tucked Willow’s hair away from her eyes. Some part of her yearned for Willow’s eyes to open at her touch, but she knew it was unlikely. Coming out a coma took days, weeks even, and she couldn’t force it.

Couldn’t she? An amazing idea began to form in Tara’s mind, but she skirted it, fearing it would pop like a bubble if she examined it too closely. She let it percolate back there, this tremendous idea that could bring Willow out of her coma, and sat stroking Willow’s hair.

The dream, Tara. Tara sighed and shuffled to her purse, wincing at every step. She pulled out a dog-eared notepad and a pen, then sat herself again on the brown couch, only content if she could keep Willow constantly in her sight. Flipping to the first available page, she began to write. And though she didn’t remember much about what had happened in the earlier portion of the dream, she remembered that she saw Donny and her mother and her father, and that Caleb had told her over and over that she wouldn’t be able to trust them. But then later, with Willow, and Tara’s pen faltered. She hated to write it down, to relive the horror of Willow’s calculated cold betrayal, but could it only have been Caleb messing with her mind? Deep down, she knew she was Willow’s angel, but that only meant she was here to perform a mission from the gods. She was an attendant, a guardian

(a nurse)

and no more. It could be possible for Willow to betray her like that. How much of what Caleb had shown her was true prophecy, and how much was false?

Tara finally finished writing down her thoughts and impressions, her head throbbing and her entire body aching with a malaise so deep she felt nauseous. She got up again from the couch and took out the clipboard with Willow’s vitals, surprised to see a note there from John, telling her to visit the nurse’s station when she woke. She quickly cast her practiced eye down the list of vitals, satisfied that Willow was doing well. And as much as she knew she should go talk to John, all Tara wanted to do was curl up beside Willow’s body, and rest her head on Willow’s shoulder, and lay her hand on Willow’s stomach, and fall asleep once more.

No, Tara. Never. Don’t even think it. You have a job to do, so do it. Be a nurse, Tara. Only a nurse.

Tara shambled out of Willow’s room like a zombie, stopping briefly at the washroom to use the facility and to splash water on her face, hoping it would help wake her. She eventually made her way to the nurse’s station, where John was reading through some paperwork. “Hi, John,” Tara said, smiling and then yawning.

John quirked a smile back at her. “So, you’re up,” he said. “Ethan left a note for you.” He held out a folded piece of paper, and Tara took it and immediately turned back around to return to Willow’s room. “Tara, are you all right?” she heard John ask, so she returned her gaze to his.

“I’m fine, really,” she said.

“You look terrible,” John admitted.

“Gee thanks,” Tara quipped. “I’m still prettier than you.”

John chuckled. “Take care of yourself, okay?” he asked, getting serious again. “I’m looking after Willow tonight. You should go home and sleep the rest of the night in your own bed, not that sorry excuse of a couch.”

“I’ll take it under advisement,” Tara replied, smiling and yawning again. He waved his hand at her in dismissal, smiling back at her, and she started to walk down the hallway, opening the piece of paper.

“Tara,” it said. “I don’t know when you will wake up, so I’ve left this note with John. I want you to go home and take care of those rabbits, okay? And then I want you to take tomorrow off. I’ve got April coming in for you. Sheila and Ira Rosenberg got delayed in their travel, so they won’t be coming until Wednesday. Under no circumstances are you to do any wound work tonight or tomorrow. Go home and rest, you’ve still got a long haul ahead of you. And I know what you’re thinking. We’ll phone you the minute Willow wakes up, if she happens to wake while you are gone.” There was a big blank space, then the words, “GO HOME!” written next to a smiley face, with Ethan’s loopy signature on the bottom.

Tara smiled through the rippling shocks of pain that continued to traumatize her system. While it was true that taking Willow’s injury did not equal getting that same injury (or her own head and rib would now be broken), the same injury nestled somewhere deeper inside her, in her organs, in her blood, even in her bones. And she could definitely feel it now, and knew that there was dried blood on the amulet of Thespia from her weeping

(demon claws, demon tears)

chest wound. So, yes, Ethan sir, it will be home, rabbits, bath, and bed.

But she couldn’t leave without spending a little more time with Willow, so she sat at her girl’s bedside and held her hand. Willow’s knuckles were still abraded; Tara hadn’t healed them, not with other and far worse injuries to deal with. And though Tara knew she shouldn’t, she couldn’t get into this habit because Willow was about to wake, and she was a nurse, only a nurse, she still took that hand gently in her palm, and touched the scrapes lightly with her softly questing fingers, and brought it up to her lips and kissed it, allowing a few tears to fall. The romantic in her would have had Willow wake at that point, open her eyes in undying devotion, and softly verbalize her gratitude for her nurse, but that didn’t happen. That was Hollywood, not real life. No Hollywood here.

Tara finally left the hospice near three in the morning. The sky was black, the air was clean with a refreshing tang of ocean and pine, and Tara breathed slowly and deeply of it, careful of her wounded chest. The streets of Los Osos were asleep, and she encountered no one else on the roads on the short drive home.

Just as Ethan had promised, Tara found the two rabbits in a cage in her covered porch; they were both large and sleeping, but woke as Tara jostled the cage to bring them into the house. As she took the cage in her hands she was filled with an immeasurable amount of pride; she was finally growing up. She was taking an animal without Donny forcing her to. Swift on the heels of that realization came another: it was because of Willow. She would never have grown like this had it not been for her. That comatose redhead in the hospice had turned Tara’s life upside down, had brought her into new powers, new depths of love and anguish, and she wasn’t even awake to know it. And when she was awake? She still wouldn’t know. Tara would be only a nurse to her. A nurse. A nurse. Nothing else.

And it was enough. Just barely enough for Tara to have given up her own hopes and dreams. Her own life. The words of Aranaea always came back to haunt her, “My dearest and most precious child, this time you will be the rabbit, you are my sacrifice to save the world. You are the lamb.”

Tara unlocked the door and pushed herself and the cage through. She may have to be a nurse at the hospice, but here in her comfortable home she could fantasize all she wanted, and she mentally vowed to do so during her bath. It would be torture, to dream of unattainable things

(like Willow joining me in the bathtub)

but it would be better than the alternative, which was no dreaming at all.

Tara set down the cage by her abraded paisley chair and shuffled into the kitchen for a cup of instant soup. Once she had the steaming concoction in hand, she returned to the chair and sat down heavily. Blowing on her soup to cool it, she set it aside on a table and opened the cage, drawing out a rabbit.

The rabbit struggled briefly in her soft yet firm grip, then settled down as Tara laid it on her lap and stroked it lovingly. It had soft grey fur and inquisitive eyes, and it’s claws were untrimmed and sharp. It laid it’s ears down along the length of its back and seemed to enjoy Tara’s caresses. And for a moment, she couldn’t do it, she couldn’t murder this rabbit, no matter how gently, how carefully. So she forced herself to think of Willow, of her duty to heal her, her injunction by the gods themselves, it must be done and only she could do it. The rabbit, this poor defenceless rabbit, had to be the sacrifice. For now.

So Tara closed her eyes, and breathed softly, and felt the fur against her fingers. She formed in her mind her own image; that of an apple tree, heavily laden with luscious fruit, free for the taking (though no one had taken any yet), glorious above all other trees. With a little push, she sent it deeper inside herself.

Oh my god

It was just like watching the horrific sped-up version of her mother’s wilting, seeing her apple tree get blasted by disease, the leaves turning from green to twisted black, endlessly falling to litter the ground with vileness. Even the bark on her tree turned ashen grey under the ferocious onslaught of Willow’s pain. Even as Tara saw it her spirit wilted as well, and she desperately forced back a wave of despair. The rabbit, that’s why I have the rabbit. Only once in her life had it ever been like this, the night she had taken the cow at Donny’s insistence, and she wondered if even two rabbits would be enough.

Tara steeled herself. If not, she’d get another cow. A horse. A buffalo. A demon. Whatever it took.

(It’s all for Willow)

Tara sharply inhaled, then exhaled as she drew out the thin streams of tar, the dread purple stain, sending them swiftly to the barrier of her fingers. Then, a little push, a little poke, and...

and...

There was a wall.

And there was a jubilant whisper in her mind. “I am the First,” the voice said, and she recognized it, and was sore afraid. And the fear threatened to crumble her, to enslave her, but she only thought of Willow, of Willow’s warm breath against her cheek, of her hands that had clutched her so desperately, of her lips...

So Tara pushed harder, forming the streams of tar into battering rams, and with them she pummelled the vast blank wall of her fingers. Still nothing. So she visualized deeper, and formed the pain, the purple, into the vast battering ram known as Grond, with sleek wolf’s head and fire in it’s maw, built for the destruction of Gondor. And with it she assaulted the wall once more, yet her efforts did not leave a single mark.

This was no mere wall. It was a blockade of blackness, a seamless endless barrier built of ravaging hate and anchored in despair. It was immovable, it was permanent, and it encompassed Tara completely.

And her flesh was her prison, and she let forth a terrible howl of despair, and ripped her fingers from the rabbit, and dissolved into fresh tears of anguish and hysteria. Tara remembered her dream then, and the malevolent glee Caleb had in his voice when he had said, “The rules have changed, sweetheart.”

He knew.

Gods, he knew!

(What else in that dream is true?)

With trembling hands, Tara shoved the still-breathing, thriving body of the rabbit back into the cage. Fresh horror struck her

(I’m dying)

and she retched. Stumbling to the phone, she disregarded the fact it was just past three in the morning and dialled Ethan’s number.

His voice was thick with sleep, but he sounded alert. “What’s wrong, Tara?” he asked.

She cried for long minutes, hiccupping and gasping in her grief, knowing that Ethan was only getting more and more concerned, but unable to stop. Finally she simply asked, “Ethan, can you come? Please?”

“Are you home?”

“Yes.”

“I’ll be right there.” She heard the phone click, but she held the receiver in her cold hands until the phone began beeping discordantly, and only then remembered to hang it back up. Tara shuffled back to her living room, looking at the books, the mini-lights, her posters, anything to keep her from thinking of the awful consequences. Yet the true horror of her situation kept crawling in her mouth like bile, and with a fresh bout of sobbing she recalled her earlier prophetic dream when she first met Willow as a goddess. In the dream she had taken the tar from Willow, the dreaded purple stain, had satiated herself to death on it.

And it was payment enough for Tara, to see her beloved once again at peace, even though she herself was inundated with the dreaded purple stain, and could verily feel the weakening beats of her steadfast heart.

Hadn’t her mother warned, “For the love of this woman, you will surely die?”

(“You took too much, Tara,” her mother had said. “You took it, and you can’t give it away.”)

Tara had the door open as soon as she saw his truck come down her street some fifteen minutes later. He bustled into her home, shutting the door behind him, veered around the rabbit cage and drew his arm about her trembling shoulders. She shuddered against him, burrowing into the warm bulk of his body and allowed him to usher her back into the living room. “Tara, please tell me,” he said, a note of desperation in his voice.

“I couldn’t,” she started, then sobbed some more, forcing him to wait. “I couldn’t use the rabbit,” she finally said, her eyes shut, leaning against him.

“What do you mean?” he asked. “It didn’t work? The magic didn’t work?” Tara nodded against his shoulder. “What do we do?” he asked, that note of desperation in his voice becoming a symphony of worry.

Tara looked up at him, at his honest and earnest face, and she willed herself to say the next words. “Can I try to take some of your life-force, Ethan? To heal my face? I need to know how far this curse extends.”

She was close enough to see his Adam’s apple bob as he gulped once, a little nervously, but then he grinned falsely and said, “Of course. What do I do?”

“Just sit there,” she said, lifting her hands to touch his face. She closed her eyes and sunk into Ethan’s body, and it reminded her of Donny, and she was filled with fear. What if she took too much? What if Ethan left her, too? Could she really trust him? She shook her concerns away, lined up a procession of his cells, and brought them to the barrier. Tara took a deep breath, then pulled.

And the procession dashed itself against

(the first)

the adamant wall.

Tara removed her fingers. It was over. Ethan looked into her eyes, and she could see his love there. It was obvious, just as obvious as the tiny gold flecks in his blue irises. She could give him only despair. It seemed that’s what she was good at. “Is there anything else you could try?” he asked. “Another animal, a demon even, like what happened in Los Angeles?”

Tara was beyond tears, beyond hope. “Thank you for coming,” she said quietly, with a clear tone of dismissal.

“Tara, I...”

“Please go. I’ll talk to you soon, I promise. I just have to figure things out,” she said, closing her reddened eyes. He nodded, got up from the creaky couch, and silently left her.

In the darkness without, and the darkness within, Tara sat.

“Goddess?” she said aloud.

Nothing.

“Aranaea? Thespia? Maia?”

Nothing.

Sob.

“God of my father?” she croaked. “Can anyone hear me?”

Nothing.

“That’s ridiculous,” Tara shouted aloud, her voice trembling in her fury. “I just talked to you yesterday, after I defeated Caleb. I talked, and you answered!”

But even as she finished saying the words, she had her answer. Caleb was just settling in back then. In the many hours in between then and now, he had plenty of time to wreak his mischief on her mind, to build that adamant wall. A prison, indeed. She should have known. Willow had been imprisoned just like this. Shouldn’t Tara be grateful she’s at least conscious? Alive, and living? Not enduring whatever nightmares Caleb had inflicted on defenceless Willow? Yes, Tara, be grateful. You’re not dead.

Not yet, at least. With the kind of pain you’ve been taking, who knows what will happen next?

(“You took too much, Tara,” her mother said. “You took it, and you can’t give it away.”)

Tara thought back to the early hours of Sunday morning, when she had returned from Los Angeles and had gone straight to Willow’s room. Now, as the same grief rolled through her, she once again asked, her voice trembling in fright and pain, “Willow, can you save me?”

Thousands of miles away, nestled in the green cultivated vales of Devon, England, a coven of witches sat in council. And one of them lifted her head, breaking their vision of Tara’s anguish, and tears were streaming down her face. As Althanea recalled Tara’s frustration, of hitting the vast blank wall, she was filled with resolve. “We shall do whatever we must to fix this,” she vowed, and drew comfort from the murmurings of the others.

“What will you do?” a young witch asked.

“I believe I’m going to America.”

to be continued between Saturday and Monday (Sorry I can't be more specific!) with Chapter Eighteen: Althanea (maybe, haven't decided on chapter title yet)

Last edited by Tara the Phoenix on Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:52 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 4
dibsaroonie.

this is just awful. just awful. in retrospect, as i was reading i wasn't suprised by the Walls Caleb built, I guess I sort of expected some awful repercussion and this is how it manifested itself. it doesn't change how awful it is.
It sucks that just as tara realizes
Quote:
she was filled with an immeasurable amount of pride; she was finally growing up
she comes across an obstacle she's never encountered before. Finally she's growing up, finally she's coming into herself, finally she finds her Love and now it seems all will come to an end with this Evil she has sacrificed herself for. It's all the more heartbreaking.

Augh, and how true this is
Quote:
It would be torture, to dream of unattainable things but it would be better than the alternative, which was no dreaming at all
. How often this happens to us. We dare not dream but we have no choice. We loathe these dreams we cannot have, yet it is the only way to escape. Friggen bittersweet crap. *le sigh*

It's going to hit Tara hard(as she well knows) when she can no longer take Willows hand and caress it, love it, and kiss it softly. Of course she will, but until we get there it will be a long and hard road indeed.

And finally,
Quote:
Ethan looked into her eyes, and she could see his love there. It was obvious, just as obvious as the tiny gold flecks in his blue irises. She could give him only despair. It seemed that’s what she was good at.
this hit me hard. It's like imagining Tara in the tentative beginning of their relationship in cannon(or the delightfully angsty fanfics with a Tara pining for Willow, Willow not realizing she's in love with Tara yet, etc). Tara would give so much to make Willow happy even if she did not reciprocate the love back equally. I guess it just hits extra hard in a W/T fic. I hope Ethan finds someone worthy of him, what an admirable charachter.

This whole other coven and Althanea business is severly interesting.

I also hope you're feeling better and that your treatments are going well. B'hatzlacha.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:22 pm 
5. Willowhand

This is a poetic and crushing masterpiece. And with all the ugly and dark things happening to Tara, that she worries about just not being able to kiss Willow's hand... Take our hearts and break 'em, why don't you? Just, you know, tape them back together good and strong at some point, ya?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:31 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Now I'm one behind. Nonetheless:

Chapter 16 feedback: Phoenix, I don’t know if I’ll get this done before the next chapter goes up but hopefully so. I hope you are feeling well and I’ve been thinking of you.

This update wonderfully horrifying and terrible. Very Halloween appropriate.

Quote:
An inexplicable feeling of dread came over Tara then, especially as the wide door was opened by a tall man dressed as a preacher. Tara felt a chill run down her spine at the sight of him; his eyes were as dead and black as his hair, and though he wore a charming smile on his face, she could see an echo of cruelty within.
I love this. It’s as if up to this point, it is a normal dream and could be a normal evening. But just under the surface is his true self.

Quote:
“but seeing as you’re only dreaming, that only makes sense.”
Hmmm. I’m fascinated here. The viewpoint of her memories is so beautiful and powerful. I love that some of the content of those memories is that that encapasulate the pain of her life. (more on that). The scene with her brother is so fantastic because most of it is just carefree summer day and sibling bonding until the punch. Then it all becomes so real and current and his anger and hatred is just sitting there completely shocking her.

Quote:
“You can’t trust Donny,” the costumed-preacher said. “He’s always been jealous of your power. And when the time comes for him to finally choose between you and your father, who do you think he will choose?”

Tara at the doorway blinked, and watched Donny hit Tara in the bed, and then he ran away. “He will choose me,” Tara said without much conviction.
First off, I will say that if someone who embodies evil gives you a warning, it might not help you to heed it. Second, I have to ask if this is a reference to Joyce’s warning of Dawn in Conversations with Dead People (sorry mods if this reference is out of line).

Quote:
He had no real power here.
… or so we can hope. The fact that he can pull her into the hallway is scary enough.

Quote:
With a jolt, Tara realised she could see into her mother’s mind, could see a shadow of the dreaded secret that would tear her life apart. And just as she could see into her mother, so her mother could see into her, and even as the two witches combined their magics to levitate an old discarded wagon wheel, Tara could feel her mother come upon her most intimate secret ,,,The wagon wheel came crashing to the ground, and her mother’s face was a portrait of shock and dismay. And it wasn’t just shock, it was shame, and Tara abased herself to the dust, ripping her hand away from her mother’s hand; she was crushed beneath her mother’s stone of humiliation.
….
Fascinating and horrible. To live in a world with her father being such a terrible man and her brother lapsing into unpredictable violence and have the condemnation of her mother seems unbearable. I have read a lot of W/T fan fic and I’m not sure I’ve ever read an indication of Tara’s mother not being accepting. Understand, I’m not criticizing. We certainly have no evidence in either direction from cannon and giving her a judgmental mother is as valid as an accepting one. It’s just unusual.

Tara’s father: You are handling this beautifully. Toss out the reference and let the reader imagine and be appalled without spoon-feeding it. I love that technique.

Quote:
And Tara felt the words coat her like viscous tar, sadistic words that fed on her skin and invaded her, until yes, she was a possession, a plaything, a toy. It was all true, these words that came from this costumed man’s mouth. Only truth. The deepest truth.
Uggh. I mean that in the most complimentary way.

Quote:
“As if I could ever love you,” Willow said in a low voice, and the scythe made a ringing sound as it passed through the air,
This is such a real fear. Not that your lover will kill you because what are the odds but that someone won’t love you back. So it’s tragic and horrible and painful even without the end of the world.

Quote:
But then Buffy killed me with the scythe, thinking it would finish me. Now the Slayer didn’t know this, but she hadn’t the power to destroy me with the scythe. The witch did. If she had been the one to kill me with it, this all would have been over. Instead, my spirit was trapped within the scythe. And that foolish witch, she used the scythe to break the rules, she used the power of this scythe to activate all the potential Slayers, and diminished the scythe’s power. And as she did so, I entered her, and made a home for myself in her mind, and imprisoned her within.
Now there’s a monologue to rival even the super villains in The Incredibles. When will evil people stop telling everyone their strengths and weaknesses?

Quote:
Locking his gaze on hers, he whispered, “The rules have changed, sweetheart.” Contemptuously he shoved her to the ground, and she fell heavily, and shuddered in paroxysms of deep, deep sorrow.

And he wouldn’t even kill her. As he strode away from her, Tara looked at the crumpled and blackened form of the angel on the ground, on the limp and lifeless form of her love, and on her own ruptured chest, and she sobbed. And the skies flowered flying beasts of madness, and the seas regurgitated demons, and the vampires walked under the light of the glowering sun, and they were not afraid. Caleb walked on, away from her, and all the hosts of hell followed in his wake.
It’s hard to know just what to say here. I’d say the rules have changed. In a major way! I’m kind of scared and excited all at the same time to have Tara have this major victory and so quickly to have it taken away for greater danger. So well done.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:46 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

I remember you promising us that this story had a happy ending ... but the journey is the heart of the story regardless of how painful it is at the moment. The way you have described Tara's anguish is superb.

Can hardly wait to see what happens next! :D

-- Jean-Paul Sartre

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:42 am 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Wow, yet another disturbing development -- Caleb brought his wall into Tara's mind. Ugh, does this girl ever get a break? Well, at least the coven (or cavalry) is on it's way, so I can't wait to see what they can do for her.

Another amazing job.

Wimpy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:15 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Phoenix - Another great update. This is just so heartbreaking. It seems as if Caleb is in control of Tara at the least. How horrific for her to be cut off from her magic and her existence. I would think it would be like if a musician went deaf or something like that. I mean for her to even give in to killing the animals and then being willing to even use Ethan and not be able to access it.

I'm glad someone from the coven is coming but where was she a few days ago?

Good job.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:36 pm 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

Hi there Phoenix, this chapter definitely picks up from the hugs and puppies sweetness of the previous chapter…errr not! But then again this is exactly what I’m beginning to crave with this fic, our heroines are tortured and flawed and in pain and yet I keep reading because it’s so fantastically written…and I love good angst!

I share Tara’s tremendous excitement at the thought that she could bring Willow out of her coma…but also advise caution, some things are too good to be true.

With each successive chapter I doubt Tara’s ability to remain just a nurse…and of course think that’s she probably past that already despite her best efforts to proclaim otherwise.

Okay, kinda glad the bunny rabbit is still alive but also exceptionally worried about what that implies, so Tara can no longer transfer her pain as was prophesised…truly a portent of evil to come! I have no doub that this is truly terrifying for Tara, all the horror that she witness and fought against in Willow’s mind is now in her own. But there’s hope in the form of an English witch, I think she had better hurry.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:41 pm 
18. Breast Gal

Oh, wow!

I was sitting on the train yesterday wondering about your story (I do things like that that...too much free time, I suppose). And now, you've thrown another monkey wrench into the works. Caleb has her blocked. That certainly serves to make the cheese a little more binding now, doesn't it? Well done. As if Tara's set of problems isn't complicated enough, now she's blocked. And you've presented one of the first tenets of good tension in it's truest form. Things get worse.

Sorry, but the fb is going to have to be short. Still a little jet lagged (train lagged, whatever) and I need to go to bed. Another great update, but they all are, so I say keep up the good work.

Diane

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:45 pm 
9. Gay Now

Yeah. What Diane says.

*things get worse*

no no joke.

I am totally at a loss for how you are going to make this work out... how much more can Tara take without dying? ...and Willow is far from healed! How can they fall in love with all this going on... oh the intrigue! oh the suspense! I love it!

db

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:37 am 
19. Yummy Face

Excellent update-y goodness... I just hope that the british witches arrive soon enough to heal Tara so she could continue healing Willow...

Post subject: Chapter Eighteen - Althanea
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:08 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Big thanks again to masterjendu. Glad you speak Brit better than I do!

Chapter Eighteen
Althanea

Tara sat on a beat-up wicker chair on her back porch and stared unseeing at her garden. It was mid-afternoon and ferociously hot for early summer; here in the privacy of her back yard she wore a tank top, knowing that the curved demon-inflicted wounds would be visible above the neckline. At the moment, she didn’t care. Neither did she care that the bare legs beneath her shorts were white; maybe other people had time for frivolous things like tanning, but she was busy saving the world. There was a paperback book on the little table that she wasn’t reading, and ice cubes softly melted in her glass of lemonade.

Her earlier frenzy had passed, she had slept at last, and upon waking a sort of stoic calm had ensued. For now it was enough for her to sit in the beating heat of the sun, to close her eyes and see the warm pinkness of her eyelids, to listen to the sounds of her neighbourhood. All the while pain rippled through her, but she ignored it. With her eyes closed she visualized the garden of Peter’s peace, and wistfully wished that her own backyard garden could reflect even a tenth of that beauty. When she finally opened her eyes again to look at her drooping plants, dying of heat and neglect, she felt a twinge of guilt that she quickly suppressed.

Saving the world, Tara.

(In all your running around to save the world, have you ever discovered how to save yourself?)

This life of work, and toil, and pain, and agony, it was all she knew. And it had been deliberately inflicted on her, to give her a capacity for healing beyond all mere mortals. She’d always been able to give the pain away, until now. There was always an outlet, a flood gate. But now she was trapped within a prison of flesh, doomed to die in torment and anguish, with no hope of release. She was wrapped in iron chains, binding her tightly; prey in a spider’s cocoon. That knowledge burned within her, yet all she could do was sit in the fierce sunlight and softly dream.

And she found beauty within.

Because this fiercely pounding sun was not her true source of light, her source was far more close, more personal. It was a love light

(Willow-light)

and she burrowed into it, not needing to be the strong one, the rock, the foundation. Within the Willow-light, she could be embraced, she could be protected, she could be the soft one. Even here, miles away from the source of that light, Tara felt it burning within her, softening the bite of pain, calming her embittered soul. Tara recalled the deaths of her previous clients, how their soulfire would wound her, exacerbating the darkness within her tormented soul, until she ached to join them in the release. That was the miracle of Willow-light, that it calmed and healed, and Tara felt forever the connection between herself and her girl, the rubber band that would always draw her back. Long ago she had desired her patient’s tempestuous endings, their glorious finish, the sweetness of death. But that was in a past that didn’t have a Willow in it.

(Now I’m bathed in light)

Tara smiled with her eyes closed and began to carefully reconstruct the false future that Aranaea had shown her over the weekend. With a little effort, she could again smell the tang of the tomato plants, feel the silkiness of Willow’s hair entwined in her fingers, hear a discordant buzz...

Her eyes flew open. That was the doorbell.

She clumsily got to her feet and lurched through the house, her legs prickling as they woke from sleep. She opened the front door, not remembering that her clothing was a little too revealing for strangers until she saw the eyes of the woman standing on her doorstep widen. “So that’s what the demon did to you,” this strange woman said, clucking in disapproval, her eyes crinkling in motherly worry.

Tara’s jaw dropped, not merely at the words of the stranger

(how on earth does she know that?)

but at the stranger herself. The woman looked simultaneously old and young; her hair was graying, yet her skin and body were youthful. It wasn’t so much the outward appearance of the woman that had shocked Tara, it was her aura, which coruscated like sunlight through leaves. There was power in this woman, immense power like unto Willow’s, and Tara reeled back a little from her. “Tara Maclay?” the woman asked, as the silence lengthened between them, as if worried she had accused the wrong girl of being demon-bait.

Tara nodded, too bemused to speak.

“I’m Althanea. May I come in?” Tara nodded again and pulled the door open for her new guest. Althanea bustled into Tara’s home, dragging a small suitcase behind her. She was slender and willowy, with bouncy caramel-coloured hair and brown eyes that seemed to see instantly the truth of all things. Those delightful eyes quickly took in Tara’s surroundings, the seventies-style overstuffed paisley furniture, the mini-lights bedecked everywhere, and ornaments both magical and secular.

Tara finally found her manners. “What can I do for you, Althanea?” she asked.

“Actually, dear, it’s what I can do for you,” Althanea responded, setting down her suitcase and purse. “But I could start with a cold drink, if you wouldn’t mind.”

“You’re British,” Tara said, her voice filled with wonder, and her mind with speculation. The skin on her ruined face prickled as she recalled Angel’s words in the cemetery, his explanation of the British Watcher’s Council and how he simultaneously loathed them yet still worked with them. “Are you from the Watcher’s Council?”

“You don’t miss a trick, do you?” Althanea laughed. “No, dear, I’m not on the Council. Bunch of semi-useless fuddy-duddies they are. Or were, I guess is the term,” and her face fell a little. “They suffered tremendous casualties in the recent war.”

Tara beckoned for Althanea to follow her into the kitchen and waved at her to sit at a stool by the kitchen island. “The war against the First, right?” Tara said, her mind whirling. How much stranger could her life get?

“Yes,” Althanea replied. Tara handed her a tall glass of lemonade and leaned against the counter to look more closely at her guest. Althanea radiated confidence and purpose, and ever she continued to pulse with a green light. And even if it was rude, Tara had to know what her source of light was.

“Which goddess do you follow?” Tara asked.

If she was surprised at the question, Althanea didn’t show it. “The goddess Hecate,” she simply replied. Tara nodded. It made sense that this powerful witch would be a supplicant of Hecate, the goddess of sorcery. Hecate was also the patroness of the Wiccan arts, and widely followed by the henna-stamped college girl crowd. The more worshippers, the greater the power, and it was obvious how much of that power Hecate had bestowed upon this lone woman.

“What are you doing here?” Tara asked when the silence became thick. The older witch continued to gaze at her in a singularly disarming manner, seemingly probing the depths of Tara’s mind. Never before had she been studied so closely, and she found the experience decidedly uncomfortable.

“May we speak outside?” the witch asked. “I’ve just spent far too many hours on a plane.”

“Of course,” Tara replied, leading the way out to her sun-browned back porch, suddenly wishing that she had mown the grass or weeded the garden. Althanea didn’t seem to care overly much; she pulled up another rickety wicker chair and sat down easily, gracefully.

Tara sat and waited for the witch to speak, her mind endlessly circling in speculation. “I’ve come with a message from the gods,” Althanea said, looking at Tara carefully, swirling the ice cubes in her glass of lemonade. “We have been following your progress by vision, watching as you took in Willow Rosenberg, watching as you prepared the spell to enter her mind. We fought with you as you challenged Caleb, and we rejoiced with you when you defeated him. And then we mourned, Tara, for it became obvious that you had somewhere been misled.”

Tara had been following the words closely, an expression of sheer wonder on her face, wonder which turned to concern. “Misled?” she repeated.

“We know that you can no longer hear the voice of the goddess. We know there is a wall. That is why I have come, to give you this most important message, a message that will heal your courageous heart.” Althanea said this quietly, with utmost compassion, and Tara felt herself trembling under the force of this woman’s love. Insight illuminated her mind; so this is what her clients felt in her presence, this same force of unconditional love.

“Save Willow, so Willow can save the world,” the witch said, and Tara opened her mouth as if to say something

(I’ve already memorised that line)

but the witch continued. “Not by healing her, but by loving her.”

Tara’s jaw dropped. Again.

Calmly, Althanea drained her glass of lemonade, then casually smashed the glass on the bricks of Tara’s patio. Tara recoiled a little; it isn’t often a stranger waltzes into your home and starts smashing your things. But then Tara remembered her first visit with the goddess Aranaea, how calmly the little goddess had broken the chalice, and repaired it again. Tara watched Althanea in rapt attention as the witch picked up a shard of glass and proceeded to slit her forearm with it.

“Hey!” Tara cried out. “Wh-what are you...”

“All witches of a certain power have access to the energies of the universe. We can call upon the element of Earth to heal ourselves.” Under Tara’s bewildered gaze, Althanea proceeded to heal the gash in her arm, a perfect reflection of Tara’s own healing work, as the wound thinned, then closed altogether, leaving only a thin smear of blood. “Willow has used this power before, to heal herself.”

Anger. All her efforts were in vain. Again. Tara seethed at the goddess, and her voice was choked in fury as she asked, “Why didn’t Aranaea tell me this?”

Meanwhile, Althanea had waved at the broken glass and it had reformed perfectly in the palm of her hand. Althanea rolled her eyes in consternation. “Aranaea hasn’t spent a lot of time among humans,” she started to explain. “She’d actually been in exile for a very long time until Willow called upon her for help. She honestly doesn’t have any understanding of human limitations. She didn’t understand why you balked so furiously over the weekend. She thought that you were being deliberately obstinate in refusing to love Willow, for she believed she had made herself clear.”

“I think I hate her,” Tara said through clenched teeth.

“You can love or hate her, but she does love you, and she was astounded by the amount of healing you did yesterday. But since the wall was up, she couldn’t talk to you, so she contacted her sister, my goddess Hecate, and implored her to send me to talk to you.”

“Wait, you said you saw all this yesterday?”

“Yes, why?”

“How did you get here so fast?” Tara asked, mentally trying to review possible flight plans, grateful for something meaningless to think about while her mind whirled with yet another betrayal of her capricious little goddess.

“That’s the joy of traveling westward,” Althanea replied with a hint of sarcasm. “I spent thirteen hours on the plane, but only three hours passed with the change in time zones. But that’s beside the point. I’m here now, to tell you what my goddess told me.”

“Why didn’t Aranaea talk to me sooner, like before the wall went up?” Tara asked, her voice bitter. “Why did she allow yesterday to happen?”

“We didn’t know you’d be trying to do it all in one day,” Althanea said, looking carefully at Tara. “What were you afraid of?”

“You say I’m supposed to love her,” Tara said quietly. “Yet she’s supposed to kill me with the scythe? It would ruin her. She’s already lost everyone she’s ever loved.”

“Why don’t you let Willow make that decision?” Althanea responded, smiling slightly to take the bite out of her words. Tara’s blood ran cold. “Offer your love, and see where it takes you. Yes, you will eventually die, but wouldn’t you rather die with a thousand memories of love to balance the thousands of hate?”

Tara’s throat clenched. Yes, yes, that is what she wished. Wait. Tara finally caught the word Althanea used. Eventually. “Eventually? What do you mean, eventually?”

Althanea’s face fell. “Ah, the goddess failed to explain that as well, didn’t she? She’s a right little sod at times.”

“You mean to tell me that, not only do I get to love Willow, I get to live as well? For a while at least? She doesn’t have to kill me right away?”

Althanea pointed to the heavy chain hanging from Tara’s neck. Tara usually chose to wear the heavy sun-symbol inside her clothing, close to her skin, just for safety’s sake, and today was no different. “The preacher is good and chained. There he will remain, until the spell decays or if you sicken or if you die accidentally. That’s another reason Aranaea showed you the vision she did, of a future with Willow that may be possible for you.” Tara blushed to think that Althanea had seen the contents of the vision. Althanea noticed it, and hurriedly added, “Heavens no, I didn’t see the vision. I was just told it showed a possibility of a future with you and Willow.”

“Why then did all that horrible stuff happen to me?” she croaked. “I thought it was to deepen my capacity to heal.”

“And it did, didn’t it?” the witch replied. “Your healing power is directly linked to love, which is why you had so much trouble finding your limits in nursing school. The greater your suffering, the greater your capacity for love, the greater the reward.” Tara shivered as the words cascaded over her. Althanea leaned over to her, capturing her eyes. “It is by loving Willow that you will save the world. Her physical body is broken, but it will heal. But you are right; she has lost everything. And without you, the love that only you can offer, this world will mean nothing to her, and she’ll allow it to fall into cataclysm.”

Tara was silent as the terrified knot of her beleaguered soul began to dissolve under the truth of Althanea’s words. “No matter what I do,” she finally said, “I am doomed. I can’t give the pain away any more. I don’t know how much you know about true healing, but this wall is bad. If I can’t absorb the pain myself somehow,” and she let forth a watery little hiccup of agony, as her very bones reminded her of how much she had taken, “it will fester in me. I may die, and what will Willow do then?”

Althanea nodded. “It’s true, that the current path you are on leads inexplicably to your death at Willow’s hands. If you get sick from this, sick unto death, she will have to kill you earlier than we thought.” Then the witch smiled, a deep and radiant smile, and continued, “I wouldn’t worry too much. Willow has always found a way to break the rules. You wouldn’t believe how many times this whole world stood upon the brink of annihilation and the Scooby Gang has always averted it. And every single time their cause would have failed but for Willow. She’s stronger than you think, and she has this annoying capability of circumventing the apocalypse, always by breaking the rules, and always to the dismay of the Watcher’s Council.” The witch chuckled. “How many sleepless nights she had given them.”

And the Willow-light sustained Tara, and gave her new hope, and Tara dared lift her face to the radiant witch beside her. “I can love her?”

“It’s what you were born to do,” the witch replied. “Now go do it.”

Tara looked down at her ravaged chest. “I better get changed, first.” She began to get up, feeling a lightness pervade her, soothing the ravagings of pain within, but was stopped by Althanea’s hand.

“May I try?” Althanea asked softly, pointing delicately to Tara’s clawed face. “It probably won’t work, but I’d like to try.”

“Certainly,” Tara replied, her heart leaping in hope. Surely a witch as powerful as Althanea could overcome the barrier. Althanea brought her chair closer to Tara, then both witches closed their eyes as Althanea put her cool fingers on Tara’s face. For long moments Tara waited, but felt nothing but the unending agony in her muscles and bones.

“I’m sorry,” Althanea said, finally pulling away. “I searched every part of the wall I could, but there is no crack, no crevice.” Reacting to Tara’s stricken gaze, the witch continued, “But I still wouldn’t lose hope. Not when there’s a Willow around to change the rules.”

Althanea’s absolute confidence in Willow buoyed Tara’s flagging spirits, and her heart continued to beat in a crazy rhythm of possibility. But having those cool fingers on her demon-ravaged face reminded her of something else Angel had said that night in the cemetery. “Do you know what happened to Faith?” she suddenly asked.

Althanea looked at her closely, and Tara just knew that Althanea was debating with herself whether to break oath and tell Tara the truth or not. “You don’t have to say,” Tara continued, but Althanea apparently made up her mind.

“She was rescued by an Watcher’s Council extraction team and taken to the healer in Romania. Willow had to come to you, for various reasons, and so we sent her to Irina.”

“She’s safe?” Tara asked, feeling a wave of sympathy for this unknown girl.

“Yes,” Althanea smiled. “She’s safe.” She sat up straighter in her seat, and returned her unbroken glass to the little patio table. “Now, shall we go to the hospice? I sense some witchery’s afoot.”

“Let me get changed,” Tara said, “And we’ll go to the hospice to see her.”

Tara left Althanea on her porch while she quickly changed into blue jeans and a V-neck blouse, her heart singing all the while. In fifteen minutes she and Althanea were pulling into the parking lot of the hospice. Tara shut off the engine, and a look of concern crossed her face.

“What is it?” Althanea asked.

“I’m not supposed to be coming in today,” Tara replied. “If my supervisor sees me, he’ll likely send me home.” At Althanea’s questioning smile, Tara elaborated, “He’s a little protective of me.”

“Do you know the magic to make yourself unremarkable?” Althanea asked. Tara nodded, her face brightening. “What do you plan on doing in there?” Althanea asked.

“I’m going to mindsurf in, and bring her out of her coma,” Tara replied with a surge of confidence. And though she couldn’t hear the voice of the goddess agreeing with her, she did feel warmth pervade through her ravaged chest, easing the pain in her lower back, scolding the mean little gremlin torturer.

“Let me cast the spell for both of us then,” Althanea said. “You’ll need all your strength for... what do you call it? Mindsurfing?”

Tara caught the tiny twinge of jealousy in the older witch’s voice. “You don’t mindsurf?” Tara asked.

“I don’t have the ability, no,” Althanea admitted. “Few people do. Only those people who have had access to Aranaea during her exile.”

They got out of the car and Althanea performed her chant, gesturing a circle about the both of them, and they entered the hospice. The spell worked perfectly; they didn’t have to avoid the other people in the hallway, everyone just gave them a wide berth unconsciously. Soon they entered Willow’s room, walking right past April, who didn’t even notice them at all. April was busy reading to sleeping Willow, and the afternoon sun was setting her patient aglow. Just seeing her again, with her purpose finally full and clear, Tara’s heart hiccupped in her chest, and her throat tightened in sweet agony.

“So this is Willow Rosenberg, in the flesh,” Althanea said, standing by Willow’s bed. April’s voice didn’t even stop; she continued reading aloud.

“You’ve never met her?” Tara asked, surprised.

“No, she’s never come to England, and my other trips to America didn’t include the Hellmouth as a vacation spot. We spoke often over the phone this past year, as my coven discovered in vision the other potential slayers and sent them to Sunnydale.”

“Here she is,” Tara said, her soul blooming, unfolding, widening. And because she couldn’t just merely stand there beside her love, Tara took Willow’s hand in her own, and caressed it, her throat thick with emotion. April didn’t even glance at the movement.

“How will you do it?” Althanea asked curiously, standing at the foot of the bed and holding Willow’s blanketed feet tenderly, a gesture that caused a short burst of jealousy within Tara.

“I sit behind her and put my hands on her head. Then I just, it’s hard to explain, I just sink in.” Tara looked sharply at Althanea. “It’s a good thing you’re unremarkable at present. I’d have a hard time explaining why you are here. This is an immediate family only kind of situation.” Althanea grinned at her, and Tara continued, “I’m not sure how long it will take. Will you stay with me, keep the spell on me?” Her voice quavered a bit, wondering if Althanea was going to leave her.

“Of course, dear heart,” the older witch replied. “Now go find your girl.”

Tara pulled over her favourite stool, momentarily alarmed when April got up and left the room, but quickly calmed herself again. Before she sat down she stood by Willow’s head, traced Willow’s scar

(no longer a headstone of lost hope, but a monument of devotion)

and whispered, “I’ll bring you to life.” Revelling in her near-invisibility, Tara then dared to swiftly kiss Willow on her chapped lips. The kiss, though brief, nearly brought Tara to her knees, her whole being melting in Willow’s soulfire. She sat behind Willow’s head, ran her fingers luxuriously through her hair, suddenly glad she had taken away the horrific bristly laceration on Willow’s head.

And echoing the words she had spoken less than a week before, Tara whispered, “Dearest heart, let me in.”

As Tara glimpsed the sadistic playground Caleb made of Willow’s Sunnydale, she beheld what her courageous girl had been doing since her freedom from his imprisonment and choked back a storm of tears. “Oh, my darling,” she whispered.

to be continued....

And now, dear kittens, there will be a short drought. I want the next post to be perfect.

Chapter Nineteen: Yom Dmaot (Day of Tears) will be posted on Tuesday, November 13, approx 4 pm MT.

You won't want to miss it, as we explore Willow's point of view, the personal demons she must face before awakening to a new life.

Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:09 pm 
18. Breast Gal

Ooh, dibs.... lucky me!

Hey Phoenix,

Great update. Again. There were a few things that I just really liked, so I wanted to take a moment to mention them.
Quote:
other people had time for frivolous things like tanning, but she was busy saving the world.

There’s that thing you do again. The thing that I like so much, drawing a line between the remarkable and the mundane to show us a complete picture. I kinda love that.
Quote:

Something’s just not right. I love sneaking in little bits of canon just to remind everyone of the common thread that draws us together. Thanks for that.
Quote:
Hecate was also the patroness of the Wiccan arts, and widely followed by the henna-stamped college girl crowd.

All those wannablessedbes. Gotta love ‘em.
Quote:
And then we mourned, Tara, for it became obvious that you had somewhere been misled.”

That little bitch! Well, maybe not, but I just really wanted to say that. I find myself awash in mistrust for Aranaea. While that might be misplaced, I’m still a little unsure how to feel about all of the goddess stuff. I’ll trust you to make this clear for me.
Quote:
“Not by healing her, but by loving her.”

And there it is! I’m so glad to see Tara finally offered something that affords her a bit of hope. She’s been such a trooper and it’s nice to see that maybe there is true light at the end of the tunnel.

Quote:
“I wouldn’t worry too much. Willow has always found a way to break the rules. “

That’s why we love Willow. I knew there had to be a way around all of the darkness and death, and it also makes me grin that someone is willing to give Willow some credit for thinking outside the box. Nicely done.
Quote:
As Tara glimpsed the sadistic playground Caleb made of Willow’s Sunnydale, she beheld what her courageous girl had been doing since her freedom from his imprisonment and choked back a storm of tears.

Oh, boy, I can’t wait to see what our cute little witch has been up to. I’m certain that I won’t be disappointed.

Thanks, Phoenix, for another wonderful update. Again, it’s all visceral; I can feel it and smell it, and all those other sensory things that make your writing so wonderful. As much as I want to beg you to hurry with the next update, I know full well that good work cannot be rushed, so I’ll be patient and smile when next week rolls around. Thank you again and another heartfelt “well done.”

Diane

ETA: We're having a very symbiotic evening. This post just got me to "Lesbo Street Cred." Yay on us, girl!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:13 am 
5. Willowhand

Dearest Phoenix,

Willow-light? Ahh, to be bathed in that!

Quote:
That is why I have come, to give you this most important message, a message that will heal your courageous heart.”

Hear me sigh. Little Tara's courageous heart healing... I like the sound of that.

Quote:
You wouldn’t believe how many times this whole world stood upon the brink of annihilation and the Scooby Gang has always averted it.

"Apocolypse... we've all been there." It's never a bad thing when a "Once More With Feeling" tune creeps into my head.

Quote:
“It’s what you were born to do,” the witch replied. “Now go do it.”

Quote:
“Of course, dear heart,” the older witch replied. “Now go find your girl.”

Love these lines. So yes, Tara, go get your girl. Hold her little hand, kiss her chapped lips, run your fingers through her hair, bring her back to life and live that life with her happily ever after.

This is another stellar update. Thanks oodles for your continued creative goodness.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:33 am 
19. Yummy Face

Excellent update-y goodness... It's good that Tara gets the message of Love Heals All Wounds... I hope that there is W/T kissage coming soon...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:44 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Hello Phoenix :)

I know I haven't post a feedback here for a long time. Sorry about that. It's just, I never know what to say. I can only think "oh! What next? Wanna know!" and it seems I can't come up with something interesting.
I still can't... But I thought you might like to know that I appreciated your fic.

Thanks for it.

Friendly

Julia

"Joie est mon caractère, C'est la faute à Voltaire; Misère est mon trousseau, C'est la faute à Rousseau." Gavroche. Victor Hugo, Les Misérables (chap. XV)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:24 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 4
okay, so i was very excited to see an update last night, but I was busy finishing a paper, so I saved it as a treat for this morning and boy was it a nice way to start the day.

finally some good news. and not only good, but the best! there is hope for Tara, not just physically but emotionally. How amazing to be told that after forcing herself to keep her distance, she can love Willow as she wishes!

Anywho, I loved the Willow-light you desribe, what a way to pin that love down. And this was so subtle I almost didn't catch it!
Quote:
ha ha! lolvey subtlelty of adding that line. You combined the magic of your own beautiful story with words we're all familiar with to create a whole new meaning. Bravo.

The way you set the scene, I an almost hear the ice crackling as it melts in the lemonade and feel the cool condensation. Its magic. I love how
Quote:
Tara smiled with her eyes closed and began to carefully reconstruct the false future that Aranaea had shown her over the weekend. With a little effort, she could again smell the tang of the tomato plants, feel the silkiness of Willow’s hair entwined in her fingers, hear a discordant buzz...
Again indulging herself, preparing for when she has to set up a wall of her own-professionalism as a Willows nurse. Reminds us of that pain she feels.

And I knew right off the bat with
Quote:
“So that’s what the demon did to you,”
that this Althanea was a quirky old broad and we'd like her immensly.

Quote:
And then we mourned, Tara, for it became obvious that you had somewhere been misled.”
misled indeed! The revelations revealed to her are astonishing. They lift this dark dark veil that has settled over this tale. There was always a glimmer of hope becuase of our dear beloved girls, but it seemed to twinkle farther and farther away. I'm so glad to hear this news. It gives Tara the strength to continue her fight and be strong.

Quote:
“Not by healing her, but by loving her.”
*dances and jumps around the room* :rofl yes! yes! yes!

Quote:
“Why don’t you let Willow make that decision?”
finally someome snaps Tara out of her self-sacrificing mode. She's too wrapped up in trying to save Willow that she forgot to try and let Willow save herself. And how will she do that? By loving Tara,of course! :)

augh, augh. and last but not least:
Quote:
As Tara glimpsed the sadistic playground Caleb made of Willow’s Sunnydale, she beheld what her courageous girl had been doing since her freedom from his imprisonment and choked back a storm of tears. “Oh, my darling,” she whispered.
BOOM. what a beautiful way to not only end this chapter, but this section of the story, and a great great segue to Willows p.o.v I think it bears repeating that I am so. freaking. excited. for next Tuesday.

Yom Dmaot. This is beautiful. The hebrew is perfect. perfect perfect perfect. day of tears indeed. for love? for beauty? for healing? so wonderful. best title ever for the little hint of what you've told us is to come.

magnificent, once again. thank you so much, and i truly hope you're feeling better!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:12 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Well, finally things are starting to look up. I'm really liking Althanea.

I agree with everything that has already been said, so I won't repeat everything, which will give you less to read here and will make more writing time for you to give us the next very anticipated update. Can't wait to see what Willow has been up to. I have my ideas, but I'll just wait to see what you have in store for us.

I also loved the references to canon and loved the visual of Tara again singing to Willow. Now let's get on with the healing so there can be some completing.

Awesome job again. Hope you're doing well.

Wimpy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:49 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Hey, how are you doing?

I hope your health is improving day by day ^_^

So you're a writer huh? Well no wonder, it sure shows in your work, lucky us :grin

Im sorry i havent left fb for every chapter, but sometimes all i can come up with is "Wow" and i dont like just posting "Great update, loved it" so i just stay quiet, but know that im reading and enjoying every single one of your updates :grin

Im really happy that the last chapter brought some hope to Tara's life, because it was starting to get really depressing for her, knowing she was gonna die soon and couldn't expect any kind of future with Willow or anyone else for that matter.

And now she's gonna bring Willow out of her coma, i cant wait to see what happens when she wakes up :)

Im also very curious to see what Willow did to Sunnydale, nice cliffhanger you left us with.

Your work is flawless and i cant wait to read more :bow

Hector Avellan.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:50 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

To say that I'm excited about the latest developments would be a massive understatement. Yes, I was already head-over-heels in love with this story and it's risen with the latest update. Why? Because you have created Possibility and that Possibility is named Willow. Because rather than lie there the most powerful critically injured witch in the world, she is going to have the chance to save Tara now. Tara's love for Willow is paramount and it's really wonderful just how tender that love can be. And is seems as though it casts a circle that includes Althaena.

Speaking of which, how wonderful to have a visitor who starts with "so that's what the demon did to you." It certainly gives you a level of intimacy and honesty that would normally take a while to get to. Of course, being able to read auras would be helpful too.

I don't have a lot of time so let me say one more thing: Yay! Faith lived!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:18 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

It's good to see that the "real" message is finally being given to Tara but it is a shame it took this long to get to her. I can hardly wait to see what Willow's been thinking/dreaming about! :D

-- Jean-Paul Sartre

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 25  Next