The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Lamb - new fic
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:58 am 
5. Willowhand

So the Kraken begins to rise from the depths! Like JustSkipIt said, this is most definitely the (TSN) Turning Point. I love that Tara is attacking fate head on. Sure she is still going to do what everything in her life seems to have set her up to do, but she is going to do it her way. Unfortunately the Kraken in the poem still dies at the end, so although it is in control of itself, its fate is the same as the sacrificial lamb. I don’t know how Tara is going to get past that loophole, but seeing as though the sacrifice of her life was orchestrated by two entities (her mother and the Goddess) who have seemingly betrayed her, maybe she can find a way around it.

And I really can't say enough about the imagery.

Such as:
Quote:
Tara was lying on her side on fresh-mown grass...

The inclusion of 'fresh-mown' made the image come alive for me. I could smell it.

Like Diane, I loved this:
Quote:
...spit up her bones on an uncaring landscape.

I love the image of an uncaring landscape.

This was also beautiful:
Quote:
Willow continued to pulse with radiance, not distant like the gods, but earthly, womanly...

And it is very nice to see that Willow can shine her light all over the place even when she is unconscious.

Thank you for the wonderful update.
J

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:46 am 
9. Gay Now

Alight, I had a superlong feedback, but my cat just deleted it. Suffice it to say, it was full of wonderful compliments and hurrahs to your writing style. I also apologized for my lack of feedback as of late. I promise I'll leave longer feedback with the next couple chapters, after I kill my cats.

~Sara

Find out in Speak Easy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:00 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Topics: 1
Oh my kitteny friends,

I can't express how much I appreciate your support in this endeavor. Your comments have actually helped shape my story, giving me little ideas on how to improve it, and I have been blessed because of you. I am going to reply to comments today, and post the next chapter tomorrow.

Ethan. Some of you are having a hard time picturing anyone but Ethan Rayne. I was actually thinking that this Ethan is about the same age and looks as Nathan Petrelli from Heroes (actor Adrian Pasdar). If you'd like to see a picture of the actor, here is a link to his bio on imdb.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0664499/

Anyone who liked the last update, Chapter Eleven: Resistance, should also thank Diane (dlline). I did actually write Anna's whole letter, and with Diane's help decided what parts to include in the chapter and what to keep hidden until later.

So, to respond!

willowphile Welcome to the Kitten Board! Thank you for posting a comment. It's for you the link up top to Adrian Pasdar. He's a much better representation of our Ethan. Also, concerning Faith, you'll just have to wait and see!

wimpy I adore you. Thank you for always commenting.
Quote:
I'm going to be optimistic and hope that maybe the lovely vision the goddess showed her may come true for her some way. She deserves it.
She certainly does. And this being KB, she's going to get it. One way or another.

dlline I can't thank you enough for your assistance with the last chapter. You've helped make this story better. I also appreciate all the comments you make for me. You're awesome! Commenting on heavy metal music when upset,
Quote:
Great music for dining on ashes.
Dining on ashes? What a wordsmith! I want to steal that phrase!

JustSkipIt Thank you thank you for your comments. I hope you're enjoying my stuff half as much as I enjoy yours.
Quote:
I know (or think) this is chapter 11 but I'll say this: What a great place to start the story!
It's taken me a lot longer to come to this point than I originally planned. Like you've mentioned to me, sometimes another voice tells you the story, and you just have to obey that little voice. I need to have a counterweight to Tara's desire to heal Willow, she needs to know what it is she's giving up.

masterjendu You really do like the image of the Kraken, don't you? It's an image I didn't plan on, but seemed to emerge effortlessly from my fingertips as I typed that chapter. It really symbolizes the true Tara, the Tara that hardly anyone sees.

db Thanks for reading, and thank you for helping me with nurse stuff. Watching 'House' and reading Wikipedia can only go so far when researching. Let me know if I put in something that just absolutely doesn't make sense.

zooey's bridge Thank you for continuing to support me and my story. I always appreciate your comments.
Quote:
i can't wait for that moment of recognition when Willow opens her eyes consciously and focuses those beautiful pupils and locks eyes with the person she was meant to gaze upon.
You won't have to wait too much longer. I'm posting Chapter Twelve tomorrow, and Willow wakes in Chapter Fourteen. I think.

juju de roussie I appreciate your thoughtful comments. Thank you for reading.
Quote:
Poor Angel... but... where is Faith?
We will see Angel again, but I'm keeping Faith's fate in the dark for now.

tazraven Ah, the duplicity of cats! I would have enjoyed a long post full of comments, but I'll hold you to it at a later time. Thanks for reading and supporting me.

I think that's everyone who's commented. Thank you all for reading.

I do have one other thing to discuss before I get back to work on the story itself. And this is going to be hard. Throughout the story I have made some references to Tara's father and things he did to Tara that she simply won't bring to the front of her mind. Dear kittens, this is sexual abuse that I'm speaking of. In no way do I ever condone this heinous activity, but it's existence is a fact of life. One reason I use a pen name here on this board is so I have freedom to write about things that I feel deeply about. I was a victim of sexual abuse as a child, and I well know how devastating it can be, how it can taint every relationship in the future and destroy self-esteem. I have grown up enough to say that, though I still wish it didn't happen to me, I am a better person for it. I am stronger, more understanding, and have more empathy for others in similar positions.

I promise to treat this issue with every shred of dignity I can muster, and I will never describe the actual act. But I felt I needed to let you know, so you could make a decision whether or not to keep reading. I deal with so many other issues here, death, sickness, love, and I hope to do justice by all of them. If you have concerns about this, please feel free to PM me or send me a private email.

Whew.

Va pup.
Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:54 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Hey, Phoenix.

Wow, where to start. Well, first I want to say how sorry I am that something like that ever happened to you. I applaud you for how far you've come and for being able to talk about it. That's what's nice about the kittenboard -- that you feel safe enough to share this painful experience with us. Unfortunately, many of us know people who have experienced the same thing or something similar due to this sick world we live in. And you're right, that it does affect them for the rest of their lives. It also the people who care for them, like something evil still lurking in the shadows. Sometimes it makes us feel helpless, but all we can do is just love them.

Don't worry, I'll definitely still be reading. We all had a feeling that Tara was treated terribly in her past on the show, although it was never truly discussed (like so many things). I'm sure you'll handle this well.

Now I'm getting anxious to finally get both girls all healed up and see where it goes from there.

Wimpy

"There was plenty of magic." ~~ Tara

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:11 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 4
these updates are wonderful, i say again.

i also adored the scene in which the goddess revealed what could be tara and willow's future. it broke my heart to see taras reaction to it and the desperation in which she says [quote] What if I want to love, and be loved, and have babies? Are my dreams so expendable?. which is to say, it is understandable of course. as far as tara knows, she's going to die by saving willow. what could be crueller than being shown her dream that she is willingly giving up? the image of the moonlight illuminating her tears was beautiful. like a strand of silk.

nice sort-of foreshadowing you sneaking in there with the goddess saying "well, it COULD be". thank goodness for the kittenboard. *whew*

adoring these, still. thanks so much

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:55 pm 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

Hi Phoenix, I’ve been trying to keep up with each update as it comes out but I’ve only just now been able to sit down and the deliver the feedback that your excellent story deserves.

For starters this is a great premise, Tara is of course as believable a character as she ever was in her role as a healer/nurse (both my Mum and sister are nurses so I of course have a great respect for the profession anyway) and the added dimension that you give to her role in terms of the way she assists her patients with her powers is just amazing and so rich in detail.

Having Willow as the terribly wounded, sole survivor of the Sunnydale implosion has set up a truly heart-wrenching story that is so chock full of emotion it’s almost hard to read at times…hard to read in a good way of course!

Donny is a bastard, pure and simple, his scenes with Tara are so well written that I find myself wanting to yell at him to stop behaving like that towards his sister…but you know, it’s just a story and all! Still, I can get riled up can’t I?

I suppose I’m really hanging out for Willow’s awakening but I honestly don’t mind lingering on Tara’s journey in these opening chapters as we get to know her in this guise and she is struggling to accept and understand what she has to do for Willow. Although Willow has been in a coma throughout everything you have written, I still feel as though she is a part of the story because she is there, behind everything, driving the story forward. Whenever Tara does something, Willow is not far from her thoughts.

All I can say now that I’ve caught up is whew! Thanks ever so much for sharing this story with us here and joining us in our endeavours to keep Willow and Tara alive and well and together as they should be! And thank you as well for sharing a part of yourself too, this is definitely a place where you can do that and feel safe as you're sharing with friends
:peace
Alcy

Post subject: Chapter Twelve: The Confessions of Dr. Daniels
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:25 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

I must admit before I do this post that I am really excited to hear feedback on this chapter. Willow's awakening is imminent, and extraordinary.

Rating by chapter: PG
Disclaimer: Buffy the Vampire Slayer and all its characters are the property of Joss Whedon and Mutant Enemy. I’m just sneaking Willow and Tara out for a night-time stroll… Neither the author nor this site receives compensation for this work.
Spoilers: This is an Alternate Universe fic, but it does contain some spoilers for ‘Chosen’ of season seven.
Feedback: Yes, please. This is my first Buffy fanfic. Reply on the forum or send email to tara_the_phoenix@yahoo.ca
Author’s Notes: This chapter may cause a general freakout, but remember, this is the KB. Angst first, then love. Don’t worry, lots of love.

Chapter Twelve
The Confessions of Dr. Daniels

Tara flushed the toilet and then washed her hands thoroughly in the sink. As she washed, she stared at her reflection. No amount of concealer or foundation could erase the hideous black eye and the three furrows down her cheek, so she didn’t bother trying. At the staff meeting this morning her appearance was met with general outcry and she had to embellish the story of her attack in a non-demon fashion. Ethan dealt with some other hospice matters, but the meat of the staff meeting was to honour the request Tara made of him last night. For reasons Ethan and Tara couldn’t really explain to the other nursing staff, Willow’s room would be off-limits to everyone today, and no amount of emergency would be tolerated to open the door to her room. Ethan explained that Tara had just been authorized to carry out a very controversial and experimental coma treatment on her patient. He also explained that he had to be in the room the entire time to monitor the treatment.

Tara couldn’t help but smile throughout his explanation. It was so close to the truth, yet so far. If any of them knew that they were going to perform magic in order to bring Willow out of her coma… Well, it was a subterfuge, and it had better work.

Tara carefully picked up the large duffel bag that she hadn’t allowed to leave her sight since arriving at work this Monday morning, wincing as muscles pulled in her chest. She walked into Willow’s room, noticing that Ethan was already there with the equipment she had requested. Closing the door firmly behind her she walked into the room and shut the blinds, but then drew back the white curtain so the whole room was open. They would need a lot of space for this spell to work.

“Are you nervous?” she asked Ethan as she set down her duffle bag. He was preparing an IV hep lock for Tara, and his face was pale.

“Let’s see, am I nervous? I’m about to participate in a magic spell, which magic apparently does exist and not in a Harry Potter kind of way, and I’m also being asked to kill you if something goes wrong. So yes, I’m a little nervous,” he replied, fussing his short brown hair and compulsively straightening the items on the tray.

Tara went right over to him and took his shaking hand. He took a deep breath and closed his eyes. “Thank you, Ethan,” she said softly.

“Tara, there’s something I need to tell you,” he said urgently, opening his eyes and taking her hands in his. She saw something in his eyes, a tiny bit of her father, and she suppressed a shiver.

“Wh-what is it?” she stammered, her heart pounding in her chest.

Ethan lifted one of his trembling hands and touched her hair, then ran his fingers down the length of it. His other hand continued to tremble in hers, and she grew a little afraid. With the same hand he used to caress her hair he lifted her chin and said, “I’m in love with you, Tara.”

Oh, no.

Tara closed her eyes in sorrow. “I know I shouldn’t,” he continued, his voice a little wild. “You don’t know how I’ve tried to stop, knowing what I know about you.” As he pulled his hands away from her, she opened her eyes again to follow his manic pacing across the floor. “I’m in love with you, you’re in love with her,” and his wildly gesticulating hand pointed at Willow, “and who knows, maybe she’s in love with me. She is straight, after all.”

Tara’s heart stopped. “What did you say?” she whispered. Her mind was numb, as even her last remaining link to Willow was severed. As her last daydream faded from her mind, a single tear trickled down her cheek. So. The goddess had lied after all. Lied in every way possible. She should have known there would be no hope of a future with Willow, no space between Willow’s healing and Willow killing her. After all, she was Willow’s nurse. Unethical, Tara, unethical. And now impossible.

No.

“How do you know this?” she asked wildly.

Ethan caught the note of helplessness in her voice and returned to clutch at her hands again. “We got so busy talking last night about the spell and what I had to do to help you, I forgot to tell you I heard from her family.”

“What?” she stammered. “Tell me!”

Ethan guided her to the low brown couch and they both sat. In the extremes of her grief, Tara allowed Ethan to sit next to her, and put his arm about her shoulders, and his hand on her knee. With his finger he traced the pattern of the yummy sushi on her scrubs. She looked up at his kind, gentle face and wondered why he loved her. He really was adorable, with long eyelashes and playful brown hair; he could have any woman in the state fall for him. Why, oh why would he choose her?

“It was Saturday morning,” Ethan was explaining. “I got an emergency call transferred to my cell phone, and when I answered it was a near hysterical woman. She explained that her name was Sheila Rosenberg, and that she was looking for her daughter. I immediately reassured her that we had her daughter in our care, under the most fabulous of nurses,” and he gave her knee a quiet squeeze. Tara could only hang her head.

Ethan frowned as he continued. “She told me that she and her husband had been in Israel, and when the Sunnydale implosion happened a week and a half ago they hadn’t heard about it immediately. When she did hear, she pestered local law enforcement, but there seemed to be a mix-up. Everywhere she phoned people kept telling her that Willow was dead.

“But then early Saturday morning she received a phone call from someone named Angel, who claimed to know where Willow was.”

Tara’s head shot up, her eyes red-rimmed. “Angel found Willow’s parents?” she asked.

“Angel was your contact in L.A., right?” Ethan asked.

As Tara nodded, Ethan shook his head in astonishment. “This is an amazing world you belong to, Tara.” Noting her disapproval, he then said, “Suffice it to say that Sheila tracked me down, demanded information, and then told me that she and her husband would be flying home as soon as possible. They will be in town tomorrow.”

“But how do you know… about Willow… um?” Tara gulped.

“Sheila said she saw the names of the deceased, and Willow’s boyfriend was one of them. She then asked if we had somehow saved him, too, but I had to tell her no.”

“What was his name?” Tara asked, her head still hanging.

“Tara, don’t do this to yourself,” Ethan pleaded, once again raising her chin with his hand. Her eyes were swimming in grief and pain; she felt the stinging across the scabs on her face.

Tara sat so quiet, so still, an unmoving statue, as her heart froze. Or tried to. But always, always Tara could feel the emanations of peace from the woman on the hospital bed, rays of hope and encouragement that continually softened her embittered soul.

“We’ve got work to do,” Tara said grimly, wiping her tears carefully, aware of the pounding pain in her eye where Donny had hit her. She got up from the couch and went to her duffel bag, and she could feel Ethan’s eyes on her.

“Don’t you understand, Tara?” Ethan said, following her, twirling her around, grabbing her arms. “I love you! I don’t want to see you hurt. You don’t have to do this.”

Tara allowed herself to look into his eyes, and grief overwhelmed her again. “I have to,” she whispered. “I’m the only one who can, and it must be done. Besides, you’re right. I am in love with her.”

“Why?” he begged, still holding her arms. “Why must you do it? Why must it be done at all? What is going on in there?”

Last night Tara had kept back some information, not wanting to burden Ethan more than necessary, already feeling so responsible for his loss of innocence, so now she clasped his hands and cast in her mind for the explanation. How to explain that this small woman would save the world, and that if she died, the whole world would too? But her magic, disturbed by the wild concentration of items in the duffel, by her tempestuous feelings, and by the ever-emanating waves of goodness from Willow, seeped unbidden into his mind. Through the contact of her fingers with the skin of his arms, a tendril of Tara’s thought invaded Ethan’s thoughts, and what she saw there crushed her.

Oh, no. Who now do I trust?

And Ethan’s eyes widened, and she knew he sensed her invasion, as she found out his plan. “I only wanted to save you,” he whispered.

“Oh, God, Ethan,” Tara gasped. “If I can’t trust you, who can I trust?” She wrenched herself away from him, from his mind, and stumbled over the duffel bag on the floor.

“I can’t just stand here and watch you die,” Ethan said. “I know that there is no hope for us, no reason for me to believe that I could be anything but a friend to you, but at least you’d still be alive!”

Tara looked over at Willow’s bed, agonizing. Every minute that passed Willow remained in her mind-prison, forced to endure unimaginable torments, and witness unspeakable atrocities. And Caleb, her jailer, her prisoner, walked through the burning streets of her mind, his eyes ablaze, always hunting her, catching her, reaving her flesh from her bones with delicious contentment, bearing down on her, taking from her what had never been taken by force before.

“Ethan, can I tell you everything? Please? You must understand why we’re doing this, why I’m sacrificing myself for this unknown girl,” Tara said, her mind whirling over the betrayal she witnessed in Ethan’s mind, a betrayal she actually understood.

Just because Willow couldn’t love her didn’t mean she couldn’t be in love with Willow. Looking inside herself, Tara realised that yes, she would betray someone to save her true love. She would do just about anything. She cast her mind back on the last several days

(her cells pouring into the dreadful gut wound of Willow Rosenberg)

(watching the demon’s eyes as they burst)

(feeding on the healthy farmer’s body of her brother to serve her own needs)

(resisting every effort of the goddess)

and sadly realised that she had gone so far down this path that there was no hope of turning back. No hope for her, but plenty of hope for Willow.

And that was okay.

With the light of her conviction shining behind her eyes, her soul dancing with the desire to save Willow, Tara once again sat down on the couch with Ethan. “Ethan, I understand that you would do just about anything to save me, even sabotaging my spell,” and he hung his head a bit in remorse. Tara wouldn’t have it, and lifted his chin with her hand. “It’s okay,” she said. “I understand now. But I’m going to tell you the truth now, and all of the truth that I possess. I need you, Ethan. Without your help I won’t survive this spell at all. I need to trust you.”

Ethan gulped, and then nodded.

Tara rallied her thoughts, and then began. “There is an evil which calls itself the First. It has existed since before the creation of this world. It is timeless, and it is eternal. It is the balance on the scale. This world was not built as a paradise ~it first belonged to the races of demons called the Old Ones. But when the gods made man in their own image they wanted to purify the earth and give it to their new children. A council of the gods was formed, 99 of them to be exact, and together they combined their magics to force the First, the root of all evil, to another plane or dimension. Therein lay their genius, and their chief sorrow. Evil cannot be destroyed, not ever, but with their banishment evil could no longer physically walk on the earth; it could only influence by whisper, nightmare, or demonic possession.

“There are places on earth where the filter between the demon dimension of the Old Ones and our own dimension is thin. These places are called hellmouths, for reasons I’m sure you can understand. From beneath you it devours, and any hellmouth became a locus for evil activity. There was one such hellmouth in Sunnydale.

“For the past year the First has been waging war on the world, centering it’s offensive in Sunnydale on the very location of the hellmouth. They were trying to break free of the filter and physically invade the earth once again and rework it into a demon paradise. Every horror that man has unleashed on man, war, plague, bombs, terrorism, will be as nothing compared to the horrors the Old Ones would unleash on our earth. They would bathe in our blood, and feed on our horror, and delight in it.”

Ethan’s face was turning ashen. Tara continued, “Into every generation there is born a woman who is called the Slayer. She is the one destined to fight the vampires, demons, and forces of darkness. She and a group of her friends, including Willow,” and Tara waved at the prone woman in the hospital bed, “fought the First evil all this year. Last week they rallied together and used their formidable combat skills as well as the fiercest magics to collapse the hellmouth in Sunnydale and stop the invasion.

“There were dozens of them, Ethan, mostly girls, for only girls can be Slayers, and they all died. Every last one. Except Willow. They were willing to lay down their lives to protect the earth, and not a single one of us knew it.”

Heart-wrenching sorrow welled up inside her, and Tara felt a great lump form in her throat. She had been so oblivious, she and the rest of the world, daring to go on with their lives as if all was normal, as if they weren’t standing on the brink of annihilation.

A few moments passed in the silence of Willow’s hospital room, and Tara wept. Finally Tara continued once more. “Willow was supposed to use the mystical power of a weapon called the scythe to banish the last manifestation of the First on earth, a man imbued with all the power the First could offer. A preacher named Caleb. But she was attacked before she could fight this mystical battle. A goddess named Aranaea used her magic to imprison Caleb so he couldn’t rally another army, a prison of flesh and bone. A prison right there,” and she pointed once again at Willow, Ethan’s gaze helplessly following.

“The only access point to our reality that remains to the First is through that woman. If she dies, Caleb’s prison dissolves, and he is free to wreak his terrible vengeance. That’s why she must live.”

“But what is your part in all this?” Ethan asked. “Why are you so convinced you are going to die?”

Tara looked at her duffel bag on the floor that she had filled this morning with all the components of the spell she was about to perform. Her heart swelling in love for Willow, she returned her gaze to Ethan. “Willow is the most powerful witch on earth. Only she has the power to defeat the First completely, to utterly banish them back to the other plane of existence. But she can’t do a single thing while she is in a coma. Caleb is holding her mind hostage. But not for long.

“Today I will call on the goddess Thespia to bind Caleb with chains of adamant, and we will transfer him. From Willow’s mind, into my own. With the amulet of Thespia around my neck, Caleb shouldn’t have enough power to overcome my mind; he will be safely locked away. That’s one reason that you’re here, though,” she said sadly.

“You told me that if your head pops up and your eyes are completely black, that I’ll have to kill you,” Ethan replied, with a dawning sense of understanding.

“It will mean that he has broken free of his bonds. While my hands are connected to Willow’s head you will kill me, and he will be forced back into Willow. If that happens, it’s really the end. No one else on earth has the power to do this for Willow.” Tara noted the shock in Ethan’s face and continued, grasping his chill hand, “It’s not going to happen, Ethan. The power of Thespia and her amulet is strong. Caleb will not overpower me. But now you see why I need you so badly.”

Ethan nodded, and then said, “But you still haven’t told me why you’re convinced you’re going to die.”

Tara tucked strands of her chocolate brown hair back behind her ears and sat a little straighter on the couch. “Every act of magic has a consequence, a sacrifice. When Willow regains her strength and sets out to destroy the manifestation of the First she will have to kill both me and the preacher in my mind simultaneously. Just as the dozens of girls died to close the hellmouth in Sunnydale, so will I become the sacrifice for this act of magic.”

“And if you don’t, the entire world is doomed,” Ethan replied, his voice breaking. “I get it now, Tara.” He suddenly pushed himself off the couch. “God, how can you live like this?” he asked. “How can you possibly go on, knowing what you do?”

Tara stood and walked over to Willow’s blanketed body. Allowing every ounce of love and compassion she felt for this woman to wash over her, cloaking her in radiance, Tara stood by Willow’s feet and gently grasped one of them with her hand, softly squeezing. “Because I choose to,” she replied.

And just beyond the grey filter, just beyond sight, occupying the same space but in another dimension, the council of the gods rejoiced. Ninety-nine of them together lifted their voices in song and celebration. “Finally, she has made the choice,” Thespia said to her little sister. “No thanks to you, Aranaea. You should know by now that you can’t force human will.” Thespia watched as Tara touched Willow in love, and said, “Now we can save them both.”

to be continued with Chapter Thirteen: Tara Enraptured
Oh, I am so excited!
Va pup, Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:45 am 
9. Gay Now

Yay, dibs. I'll be back soon to add feedback.

Awesome. Tara's one noble kid. And the way you write her make her actions seem perfectly believable. As far as Ethan goes, he's got this nobel quality as well, and I like that you've made him more human. He seems real, wanting to sabatoge the spell to save Tara. If it was a choice between the one I loved and a stranger, I'd try it too.

Once again, your writing style is impeccable, and consistently poetic. I love when you list Tara's qualities as introductions to new chapters. It's a wonderful addition, along with the thought interjections. They add another dimension to the story. Now for Donny. I dislike the man immensely, but I don't think I hate him quite as much as everyone else for one reason. Yes, he's a despicable character, but he also says the truth, something that Tara couldn't even admit to herself. He brings her an animal every month so that she doesn't kill herself, even though she wants to. Of course, after their showdown in the hospital, he won't be bringing any more animals, but that's the way in which he showed his love. So yes, I hate him, but he does speak the voice of reason every once in a while.

As far as the sexual abuse goes, I'm sorry for what you've experienced in your life. Ever since I started writing, I've found that it's a source of relief and release, especially when I started writing about the things that scared me the most. I hope that it does the same for you, and I appreciate you including it in your writing even though it's painful.

I guess the last thing I can say is, once again, awesome. The plot is amazing and very inventive. I love the idea that she can take pain from others, and while it may be hurtful to kill an innocent animal, it's the only way she can survive. I also love the dichotomy you played with earlier in the story with Tara doing what she did for her patients out of love or whether it was for some dark pleasure. Is it still doing the right thing if you do it for a partly wrong reason? It's a very interesting issue. And the trees. I forgot to include this in my first feedback, but every time you write about the trees symbolizing the patient's or Tara's health, I think of The Fountain. I don't know if you've seen it, but the similarities between the trees signifying a person's health are interesting to look at.

I'm loving this story and your writing techniques. I can't wait until the next chapter. Awesome.

~Sara

Find out in Speak Easy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:18 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

hooray, update! that really perks up my morning at work.

so ethan dropped the "l" bomb on tara...poor guy. so sweet, though. i totally get his urge to sabotage the spell to keep tara safe. and thank god you got that mental image of ethan rayne out of my head. that would have been too creepy.

and willow had a boyfriend. i'm curious. was it oz? without tara in sunnydale, willow may have just gotten back together with him after he learned to "control" the wolf. or maybe sheila just making things up?

Quote:
Thespia watched as Tara touched Willow in love, and said, “Now we can save them both.”

[bastardized quote] just beyond the glowing monitor, just beyond sight, occupying the same space but in another dimension, the board of the kittens rejoiced.[/bastardized quote] can't wait for the next update, phoenix!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:59 am 
5. Willowhand

Yay, we have hope for their future!!! To the untrained eye, the revelation that Willow is straight might seem to throw a wrench in this hope, but as most of us kittens know: All girls are straight until they’re not!

I would also like to thank you for sharing something so personal with us, Phoenix. I am so sorry you had to go through something so evil. It is remarkably brave of you to consider yourself a better person because of it and remarkably selfless of you to see your empathy for others as a benefit of your suffering.

In case there was any confusion, yes, I love the idea of the Kraken! There, I said it! I will try my best not to harp on about it anymore!!! : ) I won’t promise not to go back to the William Blake references, though!

Thank you for another beautiful update!

Last edited by masterjendu on Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:05 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Hello :)

Sorry I didn't let feedback these last updates.

They are dark and really... grrr
I wanted to kick Donny's ass! and Aranaea.... grrrrr

But I now know I can be confident :)

Ok I already knew that (kittenboard...).. But now I know that Tara has 99 Gods to help her through this dark mission.

Thanks for writing :)

Friendly,

Julia

"Joie est mon caractère, C'est la faute à Voltaire; Misère est mon trousseau, C'est la faute à Rousseau." Gavroche. Victor Hugo, Les Misérables (chap. XV)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:47 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Well, I see we're getting closer and closer, and I'm getting more excited since now it seems there's hope for Tara's survival. Whew. Sure glad to hear that.

I'm upset with Ethan to try to pull that little trick, even if it was for a good cause, but she really does need to know she can trust him.

Can't wait to see what's next.

Wimpy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:59 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
Hey Phoenix,
This update is so fantastic and both characters seem to grow so well through it. I can't believe that Ethan would consider sabotaging the spell and yet I can. He clearly doesn't understand what is at stake. He can only see that someone he loves is in danger.

I will say this though: Tara is foolish if she believes that the fact that Willow's parents believe her to be straight mean that she is straight. I mean, when has that been absolutely correct for anyone? She may be but she may not as well.

And about choice. I love that that's where you took this. I used to do personal growth workshops and one of them was all aobut choice. They used to say that to decide is from the latin to Kill the Other whereas to Choose is to accept and embrace freely. In this situation, Tara could have decided to take action because she didn't want Willow to die or because she didn't want everyone to die. To choose is a free acceptance of the situation and her role within it. And it frees her and will save her ultimately.

Beautiful as always.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:55 am 
18. Breast Gal

Well, I'm late (again) so there's not a lot I can add that hasn't already been mentioned. Suffice it to say that you've done it again. This update was riveting right from the get go. You set it up so nicely earlier that Ethan's little revelation came as no surprise, but his plot to throw a wrench into everything did throw me a little. I get why he wanted to do that, but I'm glad Tara was able to cut him off of that path. And yes, I'm terribly excited to see what happens next.

Again, great job and thanks for the shout out. That means a lot to me and I'm glad to know that I was able to help. I was honored by your request and I'm happy to know that you trust me with your work. Thank you.

Diane

Post subject: Chapter Thirteen - Tara Enraptured
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:26 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Hi guys,

I was going to post this tomorrow, but I'll be away again, so I'm posting now. I am already ahead three chapters, so I'll post the next one on Monday morning. I hope you enjoy this!

Phoenix

ps. a big shout out to db, who helped me with all the nursely stuff, including drugs and procedures. Couldn't have done it without you, girl!

Rating by chapter: PG-13
Disclaimer: Buffy the Vampire Slayer and all its characters are the property of Joss Whedon and Mutant Enemy. I’m just sneaking Willow and Tara out for a night-time stroll… Neither the author nor this site receives compensation for this work.
Spoilers: This is an Alternate Universe fic, but it does contain some spoilers for ‘Chosen’ of season seven.
Feedback: Yes, please. This is my first Buffy fanfic. Reply on the forum or send email to tara_the_phoenix@yahoo.ca

Chapter Thirteen
Tara Enraptured

Tara stood by Willow’s bed, gently holding one of Willow’s blanketed feet. Ethan stood across from her, his face filled with wonder. The air tingled and danced with joy; they could feel bubbly effervescence swirl inside them, lending them strength for this most difficult and dangerous task. This place was sacred ground, indeed. Less than a week ago Peter Whitney had died here, and anchored this place to the gods. Tara’s soul fed on the heaven-threads cascading through the room as she softly repeated, “I choose to.”

“Let’s get to work,” Ethan said, smiling. Tara nodded and gently peeled down Willow’s blanket, then just as reverently opened up Willow’s robe. Once again she was astonished by the thin pale scar across Willow’s abdomen. I did that. She changed the heart monitor pads, placing new ones over her shoulders and another under her rib. Tying the robe shut again, Tara adjusted the blood pressure cuff on Willow’s arm, the arm without the IV, and placed the pulse oximeter on Willow’s index finger. Instantly the machines started their beeping, their slow cadence in celebration of life.

Ethan pulled a stainless steel tray by Willow’s bed. On it was an array of marked syringes. Ethan inventoried them, saying, “10 mg of Haldol, in case you need to be sedated, 5 mg of Versed, two syringes of ephedrine, 5 mg each, in case either of you arrest, and, uh, 30 mg of Morphine, to kill you.”

Tara took heart at the steadiness in his voice. “I’ll lay out the spell before you prep me,” Tara said, opening the duffel bag. She took out a large jar of blue sand and began to sprinkle it in a large circle around the hospital bed. “Try to stay behind the circle. Only enter the circle if you absolutely must, to save me or Willow,” she said as she worked. She looked up to see Ethan nod.

Tara then set up a dozen clusters of candles, each in a grouping of three, and directed Ethan to start lighting them. From inside the duffel she took a hollow gourd, intricately carved, and placed it gently on Willow’s chest. Yet another jar held a brackish liquid, and she reeled back a little at the stench of it as she opened the jar. Dipping one finger into the liquid, she quickly anointed Willow’s forehead, lips, and just above Willow’s heart. Then she anointed herself likewise.

Lastly Tara drew out the amulet of Thespia, again marvelling at its heaviness. The amber core of it began to sparkle as Tara pulled it over her neck. From now on, some part of the amulet had to be in contact with her skin, always. If the connection were broken, all would be lost. Tara took a deep breath, and then returned to Ethan, who was standing by the steel tray. She sat down on the stool and gave him her left arm. He snaked a rubber over her bicep and tied it tightly, then flicked the back of her hand, waiting for her veins to emerge. Ethan smoothly guided an IV needle into the back of Tara’s hand, popped the catheter into her vein and withdrew the needle. He swiftly taped down the hep-lock and then released the rubber band over her bicep. Tara didn’t really need the intravenous fluid itself as much as she needed an instant portal to her bloodstream. If Ethan had to chemically kill her, he had to do it quickly, and the port on the IV was for that purpose.

Ethan pulled over another heart monitor and politely turned his back as Tara lifted up her shirt to put the pads on her own shoulders and under her rib. She couldn’t help but trace the rapidly healing gashes on her breasts as she did so. Then she put her shirt back down and cleared her throat. Ethan returned to her side and fitted a blood pressure cuff over her right bicep and lifted an eyebrow as he held up the pulse oximeter.

“Nope. I have to have all my fingers on Willow’s head,” Tara replied. In the background they could hear the hissing of Willow’s blood pressure cuff as it automatically took a reading.

“How often do you want it to do a reading?” Ethan asked, striding to the machine.

“Every five minutes,” Tara replied. “Mine, too.” Tara bent over her own machine and quickly calibrated it.

Then they both stood in Willow’s room, lit by deflected sunlight and still sparkling with hope. “Good luck,” Ethan said.

Tara nodded and softly strode into the circle she had created, leaving her machines just outside the circle. She lovingly stroked Willow’s hair, which was soft and clean (John must have washed it) and then she placed her fingers on Willow’s head. Gently, always aware of the broken skull within, Tara wallowed in the feeling of her fingers on Willow’s skin, a tingling moving up her arms. She allowed her eyes to close and concentrated. Tara could feel her heart beating, and a similar throbbing emerge from the amulet around her neck. The dabs of potion on her skin were evaporating, and she felt their coolness.

Showtime.

Tara cleared her throat, closed her eyes, and began the ritual incantation. “Oh ye gods, here lies a warrior of the people. She walks in shadow. She walks in blindness. She is besieged by evil. Protect her.” Tara gulped, feeling a wave of energy surge through her, leaving goosebumps, her skin tingling, and she could hear Ethan gasp.

“For I am the vessel,” Tara choked, a lump forming in her throat, power welling up through her fingers. “I am the vessel, but yours is the power. Into your hands I subsume my will. Do what you must to save the world.” For a moment Tara reflected on her first experience in Willow’s mind, how she discovered that Willow had been god-ravaged, and had surrendered her will completely to that of Aranaea.

And Tara finally understood what Aranaea had told her. That, as great and powerful a witch as Willow was, Tara was greater, but only as a healer. Tara’s mind spun as she realised she was about to commit her soul into the hands of not one, but three separate goddesses. She would be eclipsed. For this moment, no one person on earth would have greater power than she.

As if from a great distance, Tara could hear Ethan breathing strangely. She continued, ever feeling a deepening of power within her. “Aranaea, by your power, by your grace, may you be my sword arm. Infuse me with the power of the scythe, help me vanquish mine enemy. Lower him into the dust, overcome him.

“Thespia, goddess, ruler of all darkness. I honour your knowledge. I invoke your ferocity. May you ensnare the evil one, may you bind him with sharp cords, may you encapsulate him. Jailer of demons, Thespia, imprison him.”

Tara could feel the amulet heat up on her skin, the tickling of her fingers became numbness and she marvelled at the power in the room. The heaven threads became heaven sheets, and she knew from Ethan’s laboured breathing that this was something he did not expect.

And the veil grew thin.

“Maia, goddess of my heart, I honour you. I implore you, may you protect my heart. May you keep me free of the evil which I beckon, may you shelter my heart in your ever-beating palm. Oh, ye gods, hear me.”

And as Tara finished the incantation and visualised herself as the chalice, the vessel, she could see that vessel filling with godly power, till it overflowed, leaving a backwash of indescribable perfection, a scent of celestial flowers filling the room.

And the veil ruptured.

Tara felt a growing shock wave rip through her, until she felt that her eyes would burst and her skin would rip right from her. Notwithstanding its power, the wave felt right, it felt like goodness, like lotion being sensuously rubbed into her skin, like a fluttering of butterfly-light kisses along her sensitive inner arms. It felt like love, not just brotherly love, but all-consuming, soul-losing, faith-shattering love, the kind of love you spend a lifetime looking for and praise the gods when you feel it for but a single moment.

Buzzing with godly power, feeling the separate entities of not one but three powerful goddesses tiptoe into her mind, Tara slowly seeped into the landscape of Willow’s mind, sending her awareness through her fingertips until she materialised on the vast dark plain of her war, Willow’s tree still drooping in blackness. She looked down at herself and was surprised to see her apparel.

The goddesses had outfitted her in clothing she could only describe as dangerous. Her hair was pulled safely up and away, save for a few soft brown tendrils that sighed against her neck. She was wearing a white top with a V-neck that showed a surprising amount of cleavage, and stopped short an inch above her black leather pants. On her feet were stylish black boots. Around her neck was the amulet of Thespia, the spokes of the sun pricking her breasts through the thin fabric of her shirt. She had never in her life felt so beautiful, and so powerful.

And though she could not physically see the gods she had summoned, she could feel their presence, imbuing her with strength and resolve. All too soon she could sense the coming of the preacher, could feel the burning hatred flow from him, crisping the ground as he walked. The sky was a dome of inky purple clouds, roiling endlessly, boiling in the fury of the first evil. Soon enough they faced each other, Tara a paragon of virtue, enraptured by three gods he could not see, Caleb a manifestation of evil, Willow’s dying tree behind them both.

“You can’t have her,” Caleb said amiably. “She’s mine.”

Tara closed her eyes and concentrated. Suddenly the scythe flickered into existence, resting easily in the palms of her hands. As she opened her eyes, adjusting to the waves of power emanating from the fierce weapon, she could see his face constrict in shock.

“I don’t want her,” Tara said, just as soft, just as fierce. “It’s you I’m after.”

Aranaea’s presence filtered into her mind, and Tara felt a feline grace and power fill her muscles. And she walked towards Caleb, an easy stride, a small smile on her face, until she could see her own reflection in his eyes. He loomed before her, only a few feet away, his eyes dead black pools of stagnant madness.

Tara suddenly rushed him, swinging the scythe. But he, also, was the predator, with hundreds of thousands of years of experience to his name, and he easily dodged the blow, catching the handle of the scythe in one of his powerful hands. With his free hand he landed a devastating punch to her face, and Tara reeled back. The thin scabs on her face peeled free and blood began to flow thinly down her face.

Gritting her teeth against the blooming pain, Tara took the scythe in both of her hands, starting a tug-of-war over the weapon. Caleb’s free hand once again came out of nowhere, landing a fierce uppercut on her chin. Her teeth bit into the soft flesh of her cheek and stars burst behind her vision. Tara could feel her heart beating a mad dance of frenzy, even as she tried to catch her breath and regroup.

But the preacher had danced this way, and a million times before. “You think you are powerful?” he snarled at her, as he gripped the weapon in both of his hands and used his leverage to bodily lift her from the ground, forcing Tara in an arc over his body to slam with resounding force into the deadened ground of Willow’s mind.

And yet Tara would not yield.

Blood pouring from her cheek, her arms bruised, a rib broken, certainly, Tara grimly faced the

(long preacher)

insignificant man and said, “The meek shall inherit the earth.” Caleb rushed to her broken form on the ground and lifted her up by the neck, up and up until her feet were dangling off the ground. He opened his mouth as if to say something, but Tara only smiled once again through her pain, lifted her legs and kicked him in the chest with all the force she could muster. Caleb went flying through the air to crash resoundingly on the ground, while Tara spun in the air and landed in a feline crouch, the scythe still in her hands.

Now, Tara! Aranaea screamed at her, from within her.

Caleb was struggling to rise, and Tara was a tawny lioness, bent on death. She levelled a vast overhand blow at him. He raised his arm as if to somehow deflect the blow of death, but she just as smoothly changed the angle of attack, and her underhand blow crunched mightily into his unprotected side.

And he cried tears of tar, and his blood was the black blood of the earth.

And the weapon hung there, suspended in his side, until it began to glow with an unearthly white radiance, and then it melted, retreating into the defeated form of the preacher.

As his heavy body convulsed on the ground, as he writhed in agony, thick ropes of dull metal snaked around him. The goddess Thespia materialised in Willow’s mind, standing next to angelic Tara, her palms extended to him, sharp cords emerging from them, spider-like, again and again, encasing Caleb as in a cocoon.

Thespia and Aranaea went over to the prone body of the preacher. The only part of his body that was not covered in Thespia’s cords was his face, though she had indeed gagged him. They stood him up so he faced Tara, and his eyes were blazing. Tara knew that there was nothing in this world that would give him greater pleasure than killing her.

As Tara prepared to inhale him into her own body, she felt a stab of fear. This was it. From this moment on, there was no turning back. This path had only one conclusion, and it was her death at Willow’s hands.

And she thought of Willow, and imagined sunlight on Willow’s hair, and laughter bubbling from Willow’s mouth, and the smell of sandalwood and roses. So she stared fully into the face of her death, and smiled.

I am the Kraken.

Bring it on.

The goddess Maia also now appeared, standing behind Tara. Tara could not see her, but she could feel her, could feel the waves of warmth and love and protection emanating from her. Maia walked up to Tara and then embraced her from behind, running one slender arm over Tara’s waist, and placing her other hand squarely on Tara’s breast, directly over her heart. “You are protected,” the goddess whispered into Tara’s ear.

Tara focused all her strength, all her power, and stared at Caleb. Then she viciously inhaled, and Caleb’s solid form wavered, and then dissolved into a steady stream. She inhaled that stream of concentrated evil, ingested that violent concatenation of hatred, and continued to inhale even as his most horrible dust settled into her body. But there was more, more, and still more, and she choked on it, and gasped, and heaved, and felt the clutching arms of Maia around her, supporting her. She stood still for a moment, catching her breath, feeling the heat of the goddess behind her, and rallied her strength for another breath. She inhaled again, and dining on his ashes, Tara fed on the First Evil until she felt she would die. Her knees began to buckle, and stars began to dance behind her eyes, and as she inhaled the last deadly dirt of Caleb she and Maia fell to the ground.

Finally it was over, and she lay on the blighted ground, shuddering in pain and exhaustion. Maia continued to lay behind her, stroking her hair, pulling her close. “You did it, Tara. No one else could do it, but you did it.”

Tara lay there for a long while, and the two other gods knelt down by her. “Will he stay chained up?” she finally had strength to ask Thespia.

“Yes, dear heart,” Thespia answered, stroking Tara’s hair. “Never remove the amulet, though. Not for bathing, not for sleeping, not ever.”

Tara weakly nodded. Despite Aranaea’s presence and help during the battle, she couldn’t quite look at the goddess, a little bit of resentment still flaring in her breast, and she knew that the little goddess could feel it. Tara closed her eyes and lay on the ground for long minutes.

“Look, Tara,” Maia said joyously, squeezing Tara gently, and Tara forced her weary eyes open. Maia was pointing to the landscape, which was steadily changing. The dark clouds of Caleb’s anger were gone, and Tara was instead lit by the steady glow of Willow’s ever-beating heart. Willow’s tree didn’t change (how could it?), but the grass beneath Tara began to heal, sending forth shoots of bright green.

“You’ve freed her, Tara,” Thespia said. “Now go find her, and bring her out.”

Tara laboriously stood up, and as she did so she felt a light ripple of energy pass through her, erasing her wounds and garbing her anew. The black dome had dissolved, and now she found herself robed in truth.

you will appear exactly as the host mind sees you

And as Tara had appeared as a little girl so long ago in her mother’s mind, and as Peter’s nurse in Mr. Whitney’s mind, so now she looked down at herself in shock.

Tara was an angel.

to be continued on Monday with Chapter Fourteen: The Arms of the Angel - told from Willow's pov.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:50 am 
18. Breast Gal

Cool... dibs. Be right back.

Okay, I'm back and woohoo! what an update. Just a few things I've noticed.
Quote:
…30 mg of Morphine, to kill you.

That would certainly do it.
Quote:
She was wearing a white top with a V-neck that showed a surprising amount of cleavage, and stopped short an inch above her black leather pants. On her feet were stylish black boots. Around her neck was the amulet of Thespia, the spokes of the sun pricking her breasts through the thin fabric of her shirt.

Sorry, just had to mention this particular image. I think I’m in love.
Quote:
“I don’t want her,” Tara said, just as soft, just as fierce. “It’s you I’m after.”

All right! Time to open up that great big can o’ Tara flavored whoop ass. Nice.
Quote:
She inhaled again, and dining on his ashes, Tara fed on the First Evil until she felt she would die.

Don’t you love it when people actually use your gifts? I sure do. Thanks for that.
Quote:
And as Tara had appeared as a little girl so long ago in her mother’s mind, and as Peter’s nurse in Mr. Whitney’s mind, so now she looked down at herself in shock.

Tara was an angel.

Ah, Willow knows. How cool is that?
Quote:
to be continued on Monday with Chapter Fourteen: The Arms of the Angel - told from Willow's pov.

I can’t wait. Thanks for another great update. Well done.

Diane

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:17 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Wow, this is really a wonderful fiction, I'm totally on the edge of my seat anxiously waiting for the next update.

writerfreak :flower

Soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:44 pm 
9. Gay Now

Hey! You are a really fast writer!

Thanks for the shout out, not necessary, but thank you anyway.

Wow... and what an update it was. I thought I might be able to predict what would happen just based on what you asked of me... but wow. No idea -- it was gripping and so powerful to see Tara this way. I was really enamored of the three goddesses and how they filled Tara - oooh, and the veil rupturing line made me get goosebumpies! Ah, and she is Willow's angel. I love it!

db

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:53 pm 
19. Yummy Face

Excellent story... Can't wait the next update-y goodness.... :wtkiss soon pleaase :pray

Posting While Nude Improves Your Mood.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:14 am 
2. Floating Rose

Hi Phoenix,

This story is amazing. It took me a while to catch up with your fast updating, but here are a couple of things that have stuck in my mind:

That Willow's not gay. What an obvious thing. She'd never met Tara, so she'd never fallen for a woman. That detail, and the moment of Tara realizing it, was heartbreaking.

It's weird, but I hadn't missed Willow until you mentioned in one of your updates that she'd be waking up soon. I've so been enjoying Tara--her strength in the face of all of her fears and struggles...And now, you've built up all of this tension and anticipation. What's their first real meeting going to be like? I can't wait to find out.

June

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:03 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Wow, things are progressing quite fast... i wonder how they're gonna get rid of Caleb without killing Tara...

Are you sure this is your first fic? Cuz its really good.

Congrats on the great work.

:wave

Hector Avellan.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:15 pm 
3. Flaming O

Okay, I love this story. I think your greatest attribute to writing is imagery. Your descriptions are fully noted but completely concise without over-writing. I'm totally envious.

There's a few images I'll probably never get out of my head and one of them is Tara sitting in the clawed up chair and crying over the black rabbit she just killed. And your first dream sequence was so... okay this is a bad description... it was dream-like? In that, I mean it was confusing and colorful and full of movement, which most dreams and nightmares usually are. They go quick and you don't really know how much time is spent on certain aspects of it and all you can really do to judge it is with your changing emotions.

It seems like everyone is in agreement about hating Donny for punching Tara in the face. But seriously, people, if I was Donny and my sister, who doesn't really like me, is taking way too much of my offered life-force by sucking it out of me, I'd probably punch her, too. Well, maybe not punch her in the face, 'cause ow knuckles, but I'd probably shove her in the shoulder or something and yell. I really kind of love the Donny you've created. He's usually depicted as either an asshole, a major asshole, or a super wonderful brother who loves everybody. You've given him real depth just by saying they used to build forts together, and with the "How many sisters do you think I have?" conversation. I really want to read more about him.

I wouldn't change a thing about this story except maybe the part where the doctors use a defibrillator on Willow while Tara's hands are still attached to her head. I got so nervous during that part that the current would shock Tara as well.

Anyway, it's great, it's mysterious, and keep it going!

Oh, and I'm excited to see where Faith turns up.

------

And I forgot to add that Tara pictured as an angel in Willow's mind is super fitting in this context. Tara has, in other stories, been referenced as an angel by Willow. But it's mostly used like a pet name, like 'honey' or it's a play off of how good her character is.
But in this story it makes sense. She saved Willow not only from despair and a mind full of Hell, but she saved her life. Plus, Tara is so not perfect in this story, which I love. She didn't want to die and she isn't miss goody-two-shoes. So, yeah, I really liked Willow's image of her.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:53 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

This is a fabulously written story with such well defined characters. I love the mixture of magics and medicine. The interweaving of the mind landscape and "life" has been done with superb skill. I love how you hae created a tortured Tara but cannot wait to see how her and Willow interact.

I cannot wait for the next update.

I am my beloved and my beloved is mine
-- King Solomon's Song of Songs

Only reality can escape the limits of our imagination
-- Rivka Galchen, Atmospheric Disturbances

Man is nothing else but that which he makes of himself
-- Jean-Paul Sartre

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:51 am 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Simply amazing update, and finally Caleb is all tied up and tucked away. Hopefully Tara remembers to never take off the necklace. Now Willow can commence with her healing, thanks to her own personal Angel. This was all again, so well written that I got goosebumps.

Great job as always. Can't wait to read Willow's POV.

Wimpy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:13 pm 
5. Willowhand

Even though Tara is possibly facing imminent death, the scenes in the hospital room before she enters Willows mind are so hopeful and bright; from the heaven threads and sheets to the optimistic cadence of the machines to the sunlight sparkling with hope. It was a beautiful and ethereal contrast to the base darkness Caleb reigns over in Willow’s mind.

I loved how gentle Tara is with Willow in this sequence. She treats her with the reverence of a longtime lover. The way she strokes Willows hair, holds her foot, or opens her robe makes us believe Willow is the most important thing ever to enter Tara’s world. That for Tara, Willow is the embodiment of all-consuming, soul-losing, faith-shattering love, the kind of love you spend a lifetime looking for and praise the gods when you feel it for but a single moment.

Nice homage to Bargaining with Warrior of the People!

The showdown within Willow’s mind was absolutely stunning. You created a beautifully iconic picture with Tara in dangerous clothing, sighing hair (loved that detail, by the way), feline grace, and stony resolve on one side, Caleb with his arrogant swagger of ancient evil on the other, and Willow’s sad tree in the centre.

Your characterisation of Caleb is fantastic. I loved your description of his eyes as “dead, black pools of stagnant madness” and that he cried “black blood of the earth”. This is not just some run of the-mill big bad; he is the culmination and evolution of the chain of evil stretching back for millennia. Beautifully written!

I loved Tara’s only slight hesitation before accepting her fate. She chose this. Her death will be worth the ‘single moment’ with Willow. “Bring it on", is right!!!

The triumvirate of goddesses was wicked! Their relationship to and enrapture of Tara was beautifully described. And I especially liked the kind of sisterly resentment Tara feels toward Aranaea. It shows an increase in Tara’s confidence that she can be so familiar with a goddess as well as the fact that Tara is not perfect.

I am on the edge of my seat waiting for the next chapter! I don’t suppose you’re going to post it on Monday, Korean time, are ya?

Last edited by masterjendu on Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:19 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
I am way behind, I just want you to know. We've spent the weekend being extremely productive, getting the house ready for the baby and all the house guests and the Halloween party next week but not really feedbacking. I'll summarize: this is fantastic. I hope to get to say more soon.

deb

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:21 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 4
ha-yay

this was so awesomely action packed, i loved it. everything was very clear and well described. You make the intangible as real as can be and it's such a joy to read.

i loved Tara's "bring it on". tough gal getting tough with the first evil. niiiiice.

i'm going to second what everyone said and say I absolutely can't friggen wait for Willow.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:34 pm 
9. Gay Now

Alright. I'm taking a quick break to say that I loved this update. I'll second Diane when I say that I'm in love with that image. Yum. The fight was pretty awesome. Tara kicked his ass, which I absolutely loved. As far as Willow waking up, I have to say I was in the same boat as June. I haven't even been thinking about Willow, so when I realized she was going to wake up soon, I was surprised. I've just been so engrossed in Tara. Not that I'm sad that Willow is waking up, I'll just miss Tara's almost constant POV. Awesome job.

~Sara

Find out in Speak Easy

Post subject: Chapter Fourteen: The Arms of the Angel
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:29 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

I decided I would post tonight, give everyone a bit more time to read before dlline posts her new story tomorrow. Besides, I think you'll like this update...

Rating by chapter: PG-13 For descriptions of violence
Author’s Note: This is the moment you’ve been waiting for. Also, this update is quite a bit longer than the others, but I don’t think you’ll mind all that much…

Chapter Fourteen
The Arms of the Angel

Willow Rosenberg was running for her life. Caleb was hot on her heels, and she felt an overwhelming desperation come over her. He was going to catch her, again, and do things to her, again, and it will all happen, again, and again. And though the breath hitching in her lungs and the blood pumping through her veins all felt real, she knew she was dead. She must be. She was dead, and this was hell, and it was far worse than any prognosticating Jew could have imagined. How else could she be thus entrapped?

She stumbled on a piece of rubble and fell heavily to her knees, crying out in pain as she felt the crunch of concrete scrape into her skin, drawing blood. She was dead. She must be. She had spilt buckets and buckets of blood, again and again, painting every darkened street in Sunnydale with it. How else would it be possible to lose so much blood and still be alive? She heard wild laughter behind her as the preacher casually caught up to her and loomed over her, a sardonic smile twisting his lips, his eyes dancing in hellish delight.

“Now, you’re not even trying anymore,” he complained, hunkering down next to her on his knees, careful not to let his pristine clothing touch the reviled ground. Everywhere Willow had run, trying to escape him, she could see a similar destruction, as if earthquakes, plagues, and fire had all beset Sunnydale at once, turning it from a familiar, if hellmouthy, city into an unknown dimension of pure evil. And everywhere she ran she could see the bodies of the dead, and smell them, and when she fell on them they would burst into ripe showers of decay.

Yes, this was hell.

The preacher slowly brought a scalpel from his inside jacket; it’s edge gleaming in the dark, lamplit devastation that used to be Sunnydale. Not again. Willow began to sob, tears etching furrows of cleanliness down her dirtied cheeks, and she scrambled with her arms and legs as if to run, but he casually threw her to the ground.

As the preacher flipped her on her back and sat astride her hips, pinning her arms underneath her body, Willow could only thrash and moan. She felt the hard bite of chunks of concrete in her back, along her legs, but that was nothing next to the evil bite of maliciousness she could see in Caleb’s black eyes. With the point edge of the scalpel, Caleb popped off the buttons from her blouse, slowly, with devilish intent. “You are a dirty girl. A whore. And your sin is in your blood. We let out the blood, we let out the sin. Any questions?”

He tilted the blade of the scalpel and slowly slid a shallow cut from her neck to her sternum. “No screaming?” he asked amiably. “I do so like it when you scream…” Willow did scream, then, but the sound lost all intensity in the emptiness of Sunnydale, since she knew that no one would rescue her. There was no Buffy anymore, no Xander, no Giles. She knew because she kept stumbling over their rotting bodies, again and again, as Caleb played his tricks on her.

Willow felt like a lab rat, a plaything, a toy. He would chase her, then catch her, and then slowly and maliciously slice her flesh from her bones, or use her in ways no man ever should, and when she was a hairs breath away from dying, she would rematerialize in a darkened street, her flesh and clothes intact, hearing his most dreadful approach.

How many times has he killed her?

And now, as Caleb continued to make his shallow cuts, her blood running in rivulets on the despairing ground, Willow shook with grief. Was there to be no end? Was this her fate then, to be hunted, reaved, and broken for all eternity? What crime had she ever committed to warrant such punishment? Willow cried, and gasped in pain, and ever and ever the scalpel gleamed wetly, and she knew despair.

But then something changed.

Caleb apparently heard something, for he lifted and cocked his head. Willow watched as his eyes narrowed, and he suddenly bellowed, “NO!” Rising powerfully from her body, Caleb ran toward the park, a lean and powerful menace, and Willow cried in relief. She watched him run away, and then he disappeared behind the thick black wall.

Willow rarely had occasion to inspect this black wall that enclosed her prison, her hell. Sometimes Caleb would take his sweet time in finding her, and she would have precious moments to run her hands over it, it’s strength as of steel. Once before he had disappeared behind it, and had returned in a rare fury, even for him. The things he had done to her then… and Willow shook her head. Don’t even think it, Rosenberg.

Consumed with curiosity, and hating herself for it, Willow shakily got to her feet. She moaned in pain as she took off her outer jacket and then slipped off her ravaged blouse. Wadding up the blouse, she pressed it to her upper chest and breasts where Caleb had concentrated his carving, panting with pain all the while. And even though she knew there was no one around, her sense of modesty prevailed, and she pulled on her outer jacket once more, doing up all the buttons to cover her nakedness. Stumbling through the dead black street she entered the park, then finally arrived at the wall. Her legs no longer strong enough to support her, Willow collapsed at the base of the wall, and received the shock of her life when the wall budged.

Her heart pounding fiercely, Willow touched the wall with her begrimed fingers. It was slick and wet, also something that had never happened before. She poked it with her finger, and it retreated like the skin of a balloon. Filled with hope for the first time since she could remember (for ever her imprisonment ran back in her mind) Willow lurched to a nearby tree and broke off a branch. Returning to her knees before the wall Willow jabbed it with as much force as she could muster. The wall didn’t breach, but it did sink inwards a little. And it was growing thinner. Like a dark fabric, she could almost see through it.

Willow concentrated even as she held her bleeding wounds, concentrated with all her might on seeing what was beyond the barrier. And what she saw astounded her.

There was a woman there, who was dressed an awful lot like Buffy when she was on patrol. And the woman was fighting Caleb, fighting him with the…

No. It cannot be.

There was no way Willow could ever forget the scythe, and the power of it. She could remember the white power that surged through her veins, the incredibly deep reservoir of magics she tapped into. And then, the feeling of being connected, of activating some latent control, as girls all over the world awoke to a new sense of being, a new sense of power and responsibility. And then, the feeling of her life’s work approaching, her awesome task to fix the breach in dimensions, to finally eradicate the First.

And then, and then…

Utter destruction. Ruination. Ubervamps dining on her neck, and Bringers slashing her skin, and the walls of Sunnydale High crumbling around her. And Faith. Faith picking her up, and carrying her to the bus that had too few, way too few Slayers in it. Even as she realised it, and cried out for Buffy, and Xander, and Giles, and Dawn. And the roaring, a great mouth emerging, devouring the city beneath them, and they weren’t fast enough, she was never fast enough, she was always getting caught, getting reaved…

And as Willow watched through the thinning barrier, the woman’s body was sailing in the air, and crashing into the ground, and Caleb was rejoicing. “NO!” Willow screamed from beyond the barrier. This unknown warrior was going to be killed, and there was nothing Willow could do except watch, and be imprisoned forever. Willow sat at the edge of the wall, pressing into it, willing it to burst, even as she watched the woman fight for her life. Willow cried, and sobbed, and Caleb was holding the unknown woman far off the ground with his powerful hands around her slender neck, and Willow knew that all it would take was a crushing grasp and yet another life would be over.

Yet the woman rallied, and pulled off a complex kicking-crouching manoeuvre that would have made Buffy proud, and Caleb went reeling away. “NOW!” Willow screamed, and her heart soared in jubilation as the scythe crunched hideously into Caleb’s side, and he was borne down into the dust. And Willow wept great gulping sobs of uncontrollable joy, and she continued to watch the tableau through the black wall that was growing ever thinner.

And what she saw she did not understand.

For Caleb dissolved into a whirling tornado of dust that the woman sucked in, breathing it in, swallowing it again and again until she fell alone to the ground.

And the wall burst.

Willow was thrown violently back in the thunderous clap, slamming into a tree with tremendous force, and there she lay, stunned and disoriented, for long minutes. Blood continued to weep from her chest, soaking into her slashed blouse, and her head swam from where it cracked into the tree trunk. Scared and witless, Willow could only open her eyes and notice the unthinkable.

The sun was rising.

Never in her long imprisonment in Sunnydale had she seen the sun. Ever she fought, was caught, was reaved in darkness. She stared at the horizon where the sun was rising in holy fury, and she believed that she could see into the hidden depths between earth and sky, a place like a highway to the very sun that if she only had the courage to tread, she would discover the very secrets of life and living. Rippling shocks coursed through Willow’s skin, and she drew closer to true ecstasy than she ever had in her entire life.

And an angel approached.

Willow lay at the base of the tree, her face transfixed in joy. She started to stumble to her feet, but her consciousness swam, and pain once again knifed through her body. Cursing her clumsiness, Willow just sat back again and watched the approach of a being too radiant and too beautiful to be described. The sun was behind the angel, casting her face in soft shadow, surrounding her in a halo of light. Willow fed on the light; she had not seen any sunlight for what seemed weeks, years, even. It soaked into her skin, irradiated her muscles, causing her to tingle in anticipation.

And the angel ever approached.

Willow found the strength to prop herself against the tree, feeling the incredible power advancing on her, her heart aching as if to break, an indescribable longing filling her gut. Willow began to cry, and she bowed before the heavenly being that was so calmly walking to her.

And her soul filled with glory, for the knowledge that she, little Willow Rosenberg, was the sole intention and purpose of this being. That there was nothing that would stop this gentle advance, that she was actually worth something to someone, there was another reason for her life. Was she being redeemed from hell? Was this her saviour?

Unknown stirring filled her gut, almost frightening in its intensity, as she was relentlessly showered in waves of love. And not just the brotherly love you’d expect from an angel, but all-reaching, soul-shattering, body-wrenching romantic love that you hope for your entire life and never experience

(not with Xander, not with Oz, not with anyone)

and it only hints of a power far beyond anything mortals should ever experience.

Finally the angel stopped before Willow’s prone form, and Willow looked up through tear-filled eyes. It was the same woman who had fought Caleb, but she was no longer dressed as a Slayer. She was garbed in a shimmering gown of starlight, of moonlight, of wishes. The white gown encircled her slender neck and hugged her voluptuous curves, leaving her back and shoulders bare, then discreetly flared out to pool like snow on the ground. Two shimmering white wings extended from her shoulders, and the angel used them to cast a light shadow over Willow’s eyes. No longer having to squint, Willow wiped her eyes and gazed fully on the angel for the first time.

The angel’s face was young, and her brown hair intricately braided and swept up. Her face was clear and glowing with health and vitality. Her eyes, oh gods, her eyes! Her eyes were the clear blue of the first spring bellflower, and they were warm and tender, and looked on her with such love and devotion that Willow’s breath caught in her throat. The angel’s arms were generously proportioned, and Willow spent a moment staring at her breasts, soft globes of perfection that Willow always wished she could have for herself.

And something within Willow bloomed, a gentle flowering, and Willow remembered a time in junior high school when she had had her first crush. It was with a girl in high school, a girl with generous lips, breasts, and legs. The girl never once looked at Willow that way, and as soon as Willow realised what it was she was thinking, horror took over her, and she bottled those feelings deep inside her. And rare moments with Xander or with Oz, when they had used her in the ways boys like to, and part of her had liked it, and part of her didn’t, she cast a single thought back to that unknown and nearly forgotten girl, and wondered if things could ever be different.

Similar feelings had assaulted her at times over the years. Willow remembered when her evil, vampire self that had come on to her, filling her with irreconcilable feelings, part of her disgusted, part of her exulting and curious. And as the years passed and she grew more and more dissatisfied with men, she would look upon other women and wonder. But the same shyness that had kept her from Xander and others in the very beginning of high school assaulted her again, and she could think of nothing witty to say; her mouth would open, and various vowel sounds would emerge, and she would stop, feeling stupid and worthless and nothing. So nothing had ever happened, but the yearning was there, and no one knew, not even her closest friend Buffy, that when they went to the Bronze Willow was starting to look at the girls, not the guys.

The angel bent down to grasp Willow’s hands, and they were warm, and lithe, and delicate. With gentle pressure, the angel helped Willow get to her feet, holding her as Willow staggered up, and didn’t let go of her hands when Willow was up. In the past that would have worried her, half of her liking the feeling of another woman’s hands on her, half of her afraid of what it meant, but here and now it didn’t matter. The angel’s hands were a lifeline to a barely remembered reality, and Willow never wanted to let go.

They stood there holding hands, facing each other, and Willow once again felt small and ugly and no good, familiar feelings from junior high, and a little part of her overactive mind began to run a movie reel of slights and insults of the past. Willow closed her eyes, feeling weak with loss of blood, ever feeling the crunch of concrete under her bones, the devastating slice of the scalpel blade, the slamming force of the tree as it hit her head, and the devastating knowledge that who could ever love Willow, poor silly little Willow.

See, Xander didn’t, even when Willow was in love with him. No, he was all about Buffy when she first arrived, and expected Willow to help him get her. And then he was all about Cordelia, and what the frilly heck was going on with that, everyone knew how shallow and useless Cordelia was. And yet Willow finally got her smoochie with him, and it almost ruined everything with Oz.

Oz. Her first true love. And she had loved him, in her Willow-y way, but deep in her heart she knew she was more excited about the thought of being in love with him. She had only wanted to keep up with everyone else, with Buffy and Angel, and Xander and Cordelia. She had no desire to be the odd one out, so she had recklessly thrown herself into a relationship that was always about his satisfaction and never hers.

And she kept taking him back, even after he cheated on her with that other werewolf. Even after he left her for months at a time to go on tour. And then, this past year, just as the First was emerging

from beneath you it devours

he left her for good. She was always getting left behind, and as she thought these horrifying thoughts, and played this insane movie reel over and over in her mind, she began to sob in despair. No one could love Willow, poor silly little Willow.

As if reading her mind the angel started to pull Willow into her body. Willow’s eyes flew open as she briefly considered the horror of getting her useless blood all over the angel’s gown, but the angel would have none of it, encircling Willow within her arms. They were the same height, but Willow was a little smaller, and when she folded herself into the angel’s bosom she felt an incredible measure of peace, along with a very pleasant thrill along her bones. The angel reminded her of her grandmother’s cookies, of playing with crayons, of swinging on the playset. It was comfort food, and Willow eagerly closed her eyes and sank into the embrace, running her arms along the angel’s bare back, her fingers curiously running up to where the strong wings protruded from her shoulder blades.

Thus enveloped, Willow allowed herself to stay, and she could feel her heart beating in tandem with the angel’s heart. And once again she wished she could freeze time, for there had never been pleasure to equal this. Willow cast her mind back, and could see only blackness, only death

only the preacher

and she choked back a sob. The angel had not yet spoken, and still did not, only tightened her grip on Willow’s besieged body. Encircled protectively, Willow allowed herself to cry, and she burrowed her head into the comfortable little hollow of the angel’s throat. She clutched desperately at the womanly body, and sobbed and hiccupped in her grief. Still the angel made no sound, only held her, and Willow’s heart melted. She’d never been held like this, certainly her mother had never held her with such fierce devotion, Buffy was too busy to ever give her a sustaining hug as long and delicious as this, and hugs from Xander and Oz were always too pushy, too self-serving.

So Willow cried, and felt the long sensuous fingers of the angel stroke her back, then they would lift and tangle in her hair, then they would drop and encircle her waist. And once again Willow felt a wave of love cascade from the angel, a wave so powerful it made her gasp. She loves me, Willow thought. Whoever this angel is, she loves me.

The thought brought Willow peace, and a small measure of torment. For long minutes had now passed, and Willow thought of excuses for prolonging this most amazing of embraces, afraid that the moment she let go of the angel, the angel would leave her.

Leave her as everyone else did.

Almost as if reading her mind, the angel pulled away slightly, so she could focus her beautiful blue eyes on Willow. “There is nothing to fear, Willow Rosenberg,” the angel said, and her voice was soft as silk yet hard as dragon scale. “It’s time for you to return to the world of the living.”

Willow leaned back, but deliberately stayed in the angel’s embrace, locking her fingers around the angel’s waist, only then noticing that there was no blood on the angel’s gown, for her intricately carved chest had somehow healed while in the angel’s embrace. “You mean I’m alive?” she asked, looking back up into the angel’s eyes.

“Yes, you are alive,” the angel confirmed. “You’re in a coma.”

“A coma?” Willow replied, panicking. “Am I going to wake up? How will I wake up?”

The angel smiled gently, and Willow calmed a little. “This isn’t Hollywood. I can’t snap my fingers and have you wake up. Your head trauma damaged your brain, and you lost the path that leads you to consciousness. All you have to do is create a new one.”

“Create a new one? How do I do that?”

“By visualising the outside world, and willing yourself to join it. Sometimes it takes days, sometimes it takes weeks, and some never wake at all.”

Willow shivered in the angel’s arms, but calmed as the angel smiled at her. “But I will wake,” Willow said, looking for confirmation from the angel. The angel nodded. “Can you stay with me?” Willow breathed, her heart beating wildly in her chest.

The angel lifted one of her hands to caress Willow’s cheek, wiping away her tears, and Willow melted into that hand. “I can’t,” the angel said, her own voice thick with grief. “I have other work to do, on the outside. I go to prepare a place for you there.”

“Am I going to forget you?” Willow asked, her voice hitching over a great lump of sorrow in her throat.

“I don’t know,” the angel replied, crying softly. “I really don’t know.”

The angel’s eyes melted into Willow’s own, and the angel slightly parted her full and luscious lips. She’s going to kiss me, Willow thought, and part of her mind freaked out (that is so wrong!), but a stronger part needed it, needed to feel the difference between a man’s lips and a woman’s lips. Besides, it was just this once, and no one would ever know. Heck, she may never even remember this moment at all upon awakening. Why not enjoy it, and then forget it?

But the angel hesitated, her blue eyes sorrowing. And Willow made up her mind.

Willow lifted her hands from the angel’s waist to cup the back of the angel’s neck, and she pulled slightly. For the briefest moment the angel was stiff and unyielding, but then responded with a measure of passion that startled Willow. Willow pulled her face closer, then softly planted her lips on the angel’s lips. For a long moment Willow just stood there, feeling the exquisite softness, the fullness, the depth of those lips, so different from a man’s. This was good, but Willow wanted more.

So Willow used her hand to tilt the angel’s neck, and Willow’s whole world shifted, as the angel’s mouth opened slightly, and Willow rejoiced. She began to move her lips, first softly, almost teasing, skirting the open infinite expanse of the angel’s mouth. But then she felt the angel’s hands convulse around her back, clutching her with ardent intensity, and a wave of lust cascaded through Willow’s body. She had never felt anything like this, not ever before.

Willow ran one hand up the angel’s neck, and encircled the angel’s waist with the other. With the total tilting of her world, of the mouth that suddenly gave meaning to her entire existence, Willow ran her tongue over the angel’s lips and suddenly plunged it into the angel’s mouth. The angel began to make small, needy growls in her throat, and Willow was pierced with joy. I did that.

Their conjoined lips began to move faster, turning from a soft exploration into a wild fury. Willow felt branded, and each kiss the angel pressed to her lips Willow knew that the world as she had known it was changing irrevocably.

And the pleasure slowly turned into torment, as Willow was faced with the awful truth. This, this kiss, this love, this feeling was greater than she had ever experienced in her life, and she wouldn’t even remember it. When she woke she would be in a barren wasteland, bereft of this joyous hope, and she would wander all the days of her life looking for something she could barely remember, a moment hidden out of time, lost in the coma, down a black hole of memory. And Willow wept, and pulled her lips away, and was astonished by the surge of passion she yet felt, her lips kiss-swollen and needy. Loathe to give up the feelings, yet constantly crying for the angel’s imminent departure, Willow used her hand behind the angel’s neck to tilt it upwards, and she planted slow, soft kisses down the angel’s jaw line, down the smooth expanse of her creamy throat, feeling relentless pressure building between her legs. She finally stopped at the base of the throat, laving a final kiss over the angel’s pulse point, then buried her head once again in the angel’s shoulder and sobbed, a little in sorrow and a little in shame. How dare she feel like this, in the arms of a woman?

But then the angel spoke, and Willow was astonished by the seeming laughter in the angel’s voice. “Oh, no, Willow, this is not the end.” One of the angel’s delicate hands gently lifted Willow’s chin, so they stared at each other again, and Willow desperately tried to memorise the angel’s eyes, nose, mouth… “It is just the beginning.”

The angel disentangled her limbs from Willow’s, and Willow felt cold. The angel folded her wings and the sun hit Willow in the face. Before her startled eyes the angel turned, and Willow could see the angel departing into that highway of the sun, waltzing down it to a place that Willow could never follow, except in death. For how else to experience the arms of an angel?

Willow looked down at her healed chest, and put her hands on her fluttering stomach. Maybe the faster she got out, the better she could remember the angel, her touch, her lips, her sighs. How did the angel tell her to get out? By visualising the outside world, and willing yourself to join it. What a Giles-y thing to say.

Maybe the angel was a Watcher when she was alive, Willow mused. No, not with the way she fought Caleb. A Slayer. The angel must be the ghost of a Slayer. Fighting Caleb. In her brain. Yeah, and Cinnamon Toast Crunch really tasted like Cinnamon Toast.

Better stick with the vowel sounds, Rosenberg. Leave critical thinking to sometime else.

to be continued with Chapter Fifteen: Scars
current plan is to post it on Wednesday, but we'll see how it goes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:15 pm 
5. Willowhand

Oh Yeah! Monday Korean Time!!!

I am awash with awe. I tried to take my time reading but was so excited that I’ll have to read it again.

The description of Caleb’s violation of Willow was heart breaking. That Willow has been trapped in his playground for all that she can remember; what a horrible, horrible hell.

What a wonderful treat to finally meet Willow and you have painted her so beautifully as still an insecure geek at heart, not having experienced the emboldening Tara love she had had by this point in the show. The detail of her modesty was very cute. And her despair watching while her savior fights her jailor was tangible. It was a nice touch that Willow screamed “Now!” at the same time Aranaea had.

Their first meeting was breathtaking and stunning: Willow’s view of angelic Tara with a gown of light and wishes and a voice like mithril, the soul-redeeming, comfort food embrace, the impassioned kiss, Willow’s torment at coming out. I am really at a loss for words here and seem to have resorted to summarising!

When we are in love with someone we always want them to be able to see how they look through our eyes (robed in truth). It is utterly amazing how each of our girls sees the other. How empowering must it be for Tara to see herself thus, and for Willow to know that she is “the sole intention and purpose” of this angel.

I love the common carpe diem thread running through the characters. The moment is what counts.

Thank you so much.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 25  Next