The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Fic Challenge: 'Tis the Season (Updated, 10 entries)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:20 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 4
Artemis:
Oh, how I admire your storytelling(and storywriting!) abilities.

You certainly are the king of narration. and really really entertaining, witty narration. that was such a joy to read! Your humor abounds made for many chuckles along the way.
Quote:
Well, you see... perhaps I should start at the beginning?" Tara suggested.

"If you want," Faith shrugged. "But it's cold out there, you sure you want to do the walk up the path from the front gate all over again?"
ha! ha ha! So funny!

The banter in your story is scathingly funny, Buffy, Faith and Cordelia really are sharp ones(in that dull sense) and little Tara and quirky Willow are just floating along your medieaval tale of fun.

Foo, I'm saving yours, hope that's all right if the fb comes a little later :P

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:08 am 
18. Breast Gal

thiswomanswork: That was such fun to read! The whole atmosphere of the story was so warm, and all the characters having such a good time, with their battles and hanging around with good friends, it just felt very welcoming and happy to read. I know just a tiny bit about tourneys and such, from vague acquaintance with a couple of people involved in that scene a while ago, and you really captured the best of it, especially the social side. And, of course, Tara as a bard, perfect :wtkiss

Akilah: I'll never look at the Grinch in the same way again :blush Willow's discomfort at the office party was very funny (and understandable - if even Tara's making snarky comments about it, it must be trying), and summed up wonderfully in the character of Ted. A stuffed armadillo, ye gods. And a very cute ending, with people wondering about the 'rat' creature.

JustSkipIt: You're having entirely too much fun murdering off the majority of the show's cast ;-) Lovely evil Willow and Tara as always, and I really liked that closing admission from Willow - they may not be capable of love, but her and Tara are something like it, fundamentally drawn to each other regardless. But now you've got me puzzling - what will they do with the last ring? (I've had one bizarre idea, but it'd become functionally inconvenient pretty quickly unless they took it out again afterwards.)

DaddyCatALSO: Aww, adorable kids :peace That was an interesting role for Harmony too, with the information you wove into the story about how she's wound up where she is now. And the ghost at the end was just great.

Foomatic: Hee, Rachel's so cute! And definitely her mother's daughter as well, with the perfectly-timed TMI outbursts and complete lack of shame. Faith and Donny make an interesting pair alright. And Willow as a teacher makes for an adorable image - it's so natural to imagine the childlike side of her coming to the fore and really letting her connect to her class, rather than making her uncomfortable as it often did when it got out on the show normally. I love the way you wrote from Tara's point of view - low-key, but quirky and fun at the same time, it makes her and Willow such a natural match.

SJ: Thanks! :)

Zooeys Bridge: Thank you. Tara and Willow did wind up a bit quiet in comparison, didn't they? I suppose partly that was because I didn't want them to seem too crazy, whereas with the others - especially Faith, who I was imagining as a cartoon caricature of herself - I just let them cut loose with whatever insane idea occurred to me at the time. I did initially have the idea that Tara would be the only one who'd behave authentically for the time period - you can see her using old-fashioned phrasing and words here and there early on - but that kind of got discarded when a) I realised I didn't know enough to make it sound authentic anyway, and b) the whole thing was just too crazy to make sense. Glad you liked it anyway :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:31 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Woo, Chris, you're quick. I meant to go back and edit more fb in becuase I completely forgot to add the brilliance of Wikipedia. Ha! Of course Willow would invent Wikiepdia, she's a smart girl and would naturally want to include the whole world in her search for knowledge.

And yes, most of the other characters seemed to venture into the realm of caricature, but that was the point, wasn't it? They weren't so far off that they didn't seem like real characters, but they certainly made us laugh!
One thing I wanted to add to my fb was that your story reminded me of a good jaunt into the Monty Python & the Holy Grail universe. The Dennis scene, or floating a witch, the orgy in the castle, the swallows, and the Trojan rabbit all seem like parallels to the funny crazy that is 'Willow & Tara Save Christmas...again".

So thank you, once more. :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:47 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

well, Foo, you struck gold again.

I guess my beef with fluff is that a lot of it isn't well written(not that there isn't a lot of bad everything, there so is). But with fluff, there isn't a whole lot of story to hold on to, unlike badly written angst or adventure. But fluff can be just as good(if not better) than angst if it's written well and has a point. Even a vignette has a point, even if it doesn't have a plot. If fluff doesn't have a point, I have a hard time reading it. Your fluff not only has point, it's got plot, a whole lot of smart, and a handful of laughs. Nothing too saccharine or bland. S'perfect. Color me a happy camper. Or counselor. Both'll work.

Quote:
It was the last day of pre-school before winter break, and Tara was certain that fudge and brownies were involved.
I just loved that. So snarky-you or Tara?

Quote:
Tara was beginning to think there was magic afoot; there was no logical reason for such a well-behaved class.
I think the same thing when I see a bunch of well-behaved kids, but sometimes my mind also goes towards drugs.

I love that Tara gets a gold star for the mocha, very teacherlike of Teacher Willow.

And oh dear, identifying childrens drawings is a percarious situation for the adults, but Willow bailed Tara out real smoothly. The sunglasses were real cute too, reminds me of the thing in 'Big Daddy'.

Love the yellow crayon add, very smooth and nonchalant but real sweet for us who recognize it.

And oh man, that "You should totally come-no, I really can't-no, you really have to-but honestly I can't" jumbo can go around for just about ever, but your Tara settled it respectfully and without kitsch. well done, if only we could all take a cue from her!

I'll also second what Deb said about your choice of words: 'burn rubber', 'wielded the cookie cutter', 'deadly chocolate', all make the simple things in this story really stand out with character of their own and become something more than ordinary.

I really like this Donny/Faith thing. They seem to be such a fun couple, and it's a pleasure to see the Faith we know and love still edgy, but in a domestic setting. Her voice is dead on and still wicked funny. He's really good natured and down to earth, as long as he rid of that beard thing, he'd down in my book.

I also love that Donny doesn't make a big deal out of Willow coming, must be a bit of a relief for Tara. Him asking her to help him with the firewood just seems so natural, playful, and...easygoing.

And just how did Willow get frankincense? She's good.

I dunno if the whole "write what you know" thing is true, but it definitely seems like you might know a kid who likes to talk about bodily functions a lot. Heh. Sorry if this is a little ego-tistical, but I'm tickled pink that little girl made it into your story. She must be thrilled. Precocious and tenacious, she'll grow under the fine tutelage of Aunt Tara(guess that's you, huh? :P ) But oh man, I laughed out loud with the whole “It’s okay, Teacher Willow, Aunt Tara told me she likes to kiss girls instead of boys. She’s a les-“ and Donny clamping her mouth shut. Ha! Such a very little-kid thing to do, right on.

All-in-all you gave us a story that progressed naturally-along with Willow and Tara's budding attraction and relationship. There were a lot of very real elements that was easy to relate to as a reader, all the characters were very cemented and whole. I'd like to see more of them. Can I get a part 2 holler? You should be very proud of yourself, the late-nighter/early-riser was totally worth it. This is a story that I can(and will) read over and over again.

I bow to you, Sensei.

Grasshopper signing out!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:03 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

so...
is the challenge still open?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:08 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

DarkWillow6 (entry feedback): I enjoyed the story, although I missed a couple of the challenge specs. Willow's "family" speech was heartwarming, and I can't think of a better way to wake up than Willow or Tara smooches. (edit: n/m about the grinch; I read your later post)

[hr]

thiswomanswork (entry feedback): I loved your entry. ^_^ Funny and sweet in all the right places. The interaction between friends at the beginning was downright hilarious...

Quote:
Making herself look pretty had always been a mysterious and arcane concept for Willow

I liked this line. ^_^

Quote:
It's not just dressing up. There's also lots of hitting people. That makes it manly... right?

Also, this.

You lost a quotation mark here-ish:
Quote:
Not in a million years! thought she was really interesting, actually

It's funny you mentioned Maryland/Virginia. I watched a documentary recently about some LARP/boffer group around here, so it was really easy to picture some of the scenes while I was reading the story.

Great job. ^_^

[hr]

BentBrokenTheory (entry feedback): Welcome to the world of ficking. Ficcing? Fic-writing. Heheh, I continue to love watching all the authors struggle with the armadillo requirement. ^_^b Foo/Jen/DLine, excellent work, there! This was very promising for a first story, BBT. I liked the content, I liked the characters, I liked the flow of scenes. My recommendations:

* focus on where and how you break paragraphs. Try to stay clear and consistent with these breaks.

* watch capitalization (her bag of frankincense that willow had left... From day one the Blond could not shake... flashed a bit of her resolve Face... lifted the cover so that willow, who was sitting...)

I hope you keep writing. ^_^ Great job with the challenge entry.

[hr]

thiswomanswork: Thanks! I wish that I'd given myself another day to write the entry; I'd have liked to expand the last scene in the kitchen, and maybe done another scene at the end with the three of them together.

[hr]

JustSkipIt:

Quote:
At Tara’s implicit request she killed Tara’s father and brother and presented their hearts to her as a sort of valentine before turning Tara (completely with Tara’s approval)

Wowza. Guess I'd better read those other ones! @_@;

Really enjoyed the story in an utterly twisted fashion. Seeing these familiar characters interact i such depraved manners is kind of wild. o_O I ... I kind of like it. I think. (edit later: yup! I *do* like it!)

[hr]

Chris: I'ma skip yours for now 'cause it's long and it's 2am, but I promise feedback soon!

[hr]

DaddyCatALSO: This was a cute story, and I enjoyed the appearance of Mr. Karloff! I got a little lost in the relationships between all the characters. o_O; I think I might have to diagram it all out. Happy holidays!

[hr]

Zooeys_Bridge: Wow! Thank you so much for the feedback! It's...wow! This is one of (very) few short stories I've written, and had a heap of trouble trying to plan out the scenes and pacing of the story. And, as mentioned, even after submitting it, I wasn't entirely pleased with the speed of the ending. I'll admit that it's easier to create 'deep' characters in fanfic. I mean, you guys all know Willow and Tara, so it doesn't take a lot of convincing to convey their characters (although, it's always a worry that I'll throw in something which will *break* their characters). Ah, yes, the armadillo. Foof. It was hard coming up with a place for it, then I read a Calvin and Hobbes strip where they're shooting each other with the transmogrifier gun, and changing from one animal to another... (since when do owls go to school? ... ZIPPADEE DOO DA! ZIPPADEE DAY!) I felt bad getting Scooby hit by a truck :( Sorry! But all is well and the pup survives and they'll all have a wonderful Christmas meal together, even if the scene in the kitchen flew by too quickly. I'm really happy you enjoyed the tale. ^_^ I'm already looking forward to next year's challenge! (and hey, maybe Constants'll be done by then).

[hr]

Foo: Guh. Too tired. Will feedback soon, promise.

[hr]

loveguruaphrodite: It is! From foo's earlier post:

Quote:
I was planning on keeping this open a bit past the new year, since it's probably a crazy time for everyone getting ready for the holidays and writing a challenge fic is not much of a priority.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:07 am 
18. Breast Gal

Yes, I am, in fact, a lousy supporter of the writers in this thread. Travels, deaths in the family, etc, etc.... it's been a totally weird and disturbing holiday season.

Okay, that's it for the excuses about why I haven't written or even read any of the stories, but I wanted to say thanks to everyone for making the challenge work. It made me happy to see such a great turn out.

Diane

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:15 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Diane, I'm very sorry to read that icky list of your holidays this year. It seems 2008 has been a bad year for a lot of people, so I'm hoping '09 will bring in a little something sweeter for everyone.

Megan, I love Calvin & Hobbes. I literally grew up with them, comic books sitting at the foot of my bed, piling up, getting dog-eared and bent pages. For my birthday a few years ago my folks got me the complete set that came out and it's so brilliant and perfect and sits on my shelf looking pretty. Instead I read the same softcover volumes I had as a kid in fear of damaging the new set. Love love love. Maybe you could write a Spaceman Spiff journey next? :P

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:33 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Thank you to all the authors who contributed to this challenge. I really enjoyed having some new fics- especially with the seasonal theme - to add Willow & Tara sparkle to Christmas.

I hope all Kittens had a happy and peaceful holiday with your loved ones.

Anne

Every path has its puddle. Old English Saying... I think I just stepped in mine...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:47 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

loveguruaphrodite: I'm pretty sure it's open until post-2008 Holiday Season. I'm hoping to get mine out around New Years, and I'm sure yours would be welcome any time :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 1
jasmydae: Summer and Autumn are Willow's and Tara's children, Lexa (short for Alexandra) and Nick are Xander's and Anya's, Frank and Charles are Harmony and Jonathan's sons, ELisa was their daughter but she was premature and died after a couple weeks, and Kharissa is their ward (Faith was her mother and when I cam up with this 'verse it was stil;l s trictly "one girl in all the world" and now I'm stuck w ith it, kinda-sorta)

Glenwood Maclay is a character Id reamed up when I figured "Tara has to have some relatives whoa ren't so closed-minded." I have aa whole story in my ehad re-telling "Family" from his eprspective which i'ven't posted or even typed. "Gled" is what Tara called him when she was first learning to speak. Debbie is his wife and Rebecca is their oldest child. I picked that name because, of the several anmes I've seen for Tara's mother in various fics, Rebecca from I think "Broken Diolls" is the one that sticks with me.

Sue: We don't talk about things like that right after, you know that, no saying those things in The Moment.
Kim: (moves the hand aside) Screw The Moment. I *love* you.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:52 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Chris,
You are the Robert Rankin of WIllow and Tara chroniclers with your dazzling and daft wordplay.
Extra points go to you for the word pneumatically when describing Faith's bountiful cleavage.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:26 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Hey, everyone! Hope it's not too late, I aimed to get this out by New Years and I'll be damned if I don't. So even if it isn't perfect, here goes!

Title: What Defines Us
Author: Zooeys_Bridge (Rachel)
Email: rsietz@gmail.com
Rating: PG-13 for language
Note: Many thanks to the wonderful Foomatic for help, advice, and all around guidance. This beta gets a gold star.
Note 2: I highly recommend(and humbly request) before reading this story you watch this magnificent video. This one is neat, too. Thanks!

Willow Rosenberg lost herself in motion. For a mind as busy and loud as hers, coming here was always a sweet respite as it dulled the spastic thoughts that tended to assail her brain. She'd returned one evening to retrieve a notebook she left in class and accidentally discovered a wide avenue of quiet possibility. The building was silent and empty, a far cry from the bustle and overload of students it held during the day. It was peaceful at night, and Willow felt she could take advantage of a more focused stream of work. After a day of shuffling around from classes and meetings all day, Willow felt she needed something that was hers. The quiet studio at night became the perfect place for the weary student to unwind. Light shone bright and still and brought everything-the presses, the typecases, the inks, the tables, the framed broadsides- into a beautiful contrast that Willow understood. In here, everything was as simple as black and white.

Willow loved books; they were part of the fabric of her being. They had kept her company during the lonely spasms of childhood when she didn't quite understand how to play with the other kids. Instead she took shelter in the library and took out books, because they had no choice but to go home and spend time with her. No realm was uninteresting to little Wllow. Fictions, non-fictions, maps, picture books, cooking books - all kept her company. Instead of skinning her knee on the blacktop or getting tangled in double-dutch, Willow became friends with the giants of history: Albert Einstein, Helen Keller, and Harry Houdini. Willow knew their stories, their childhoods, and challenges; she checked them out for two whole weeks.

Enchanted by size, heft, and weight, Willow took out books that were above her level of understanding but she didn't care, she just liked how they felt. "Birds of America" on par with her wee eye level at the tabletop, became a landscape of paper and color. Her eyes would widen as she turned pages as large as an elephantine ear. Her insides would sing. Paper was magic- it was hard and soft at the same time. She could wobble a page back and forth a million times, but if yanked in the wrong direction, it would tear. Strong yet supple was her world of books, and Willow was always looking for more. More of the tabletop horizon of crisp white space and tiny black letters that spoke to her, as friends often should. Willow grew up with books and she never forgot their companionship.

Form and content alike became a slick pleasure in which Willow loved to indulge herself as she continued to grow. A small paperback with its sections pried apart at the glued spine, old yellow novels with dog-eared pages that snapped off, hardcovers that lasted wear and mighty tear, thin books that fit perfectly at the end of the bookshelf, or the large expensive once-a-year birthday presents of hand sewn beauty, Willow loved them all. They had weight, texture, and she even if she did not read them, she loved to feel the pages or the cool contours of the outside of a book. They cemented her.

Naturally, when she discovered the world of letterpress printing, that little girl in her elementary school library squealed with joy. She became involved with books on a whole new level: Willow could create. She could give back. It was the most exciting thing Willow had ever done. Besides getting her very own adult library card, of course.

In printing, Willow poured her being onto a blank page. Like the delicious rhythm of turning pages, printing gave Willow's life cadence. Type cases were the shelves she'd lose herself in at the library as a child; each character, a book, had its perfect pod in the grand matrix of the alphabet. A row of k's lay happily in their slot while the h's seemed to lounge lazily until plucked up by the deft and busy fingers of Ms. Rosenberg.

Words were not something to take for granted. Each letter, each space was the result of labor that Willow loved. She reveled at the ache in her back after hours of being hunched over and the throb in her thumb from holding the type tight so it wouldn't tumble. Words were important and each letter had their weight in lead. They rubbed their being into Willow and her fingers would blacken in the wake of their passing.

Letters became a part of her. And she took part in them to make them whole. Willow breathed life into letters and made them march across a page proudly and with fierce determination. When ready to print, she washed her hands endlessly to prevent even the smallest smudge from disfiguring the unmarred beauty of empty space. Even the tiniest blemish would render that carefully designed space defunct, for it is the white that makes the black beautiful. It's the space in-between where beauty shines: in music, in typography, in subtle moments of life, the pregnant pause before the next roll of thunder or the mingling of shared breath before a kiss; space is what defines us.

And Willow had lots of space. There was an empty gap so large inside that not even books or letters or ink could fill. There was no bottom to the hole Willow lived atop. Space was in the way she cradled a pillow each night and pretended it had the feel and weight of flesh and blood. It was in the songs and stories she collected, hoping one day to share them in secret breaths and candlelight. Sometimes the space was so oppressing, it threatened to overcome and cripple the lonely and loving being that was Willow Rosenberg.

So instead, she structured the Empty. She gave it form and being and funneled it into design. Willow averted lonely heartbreak by transforming her space into something beautiful. At least there was some sort of end product in printing that she could touch and feel... even if it was only a dent of ink on paper.

But it was with ink and paper that everything would change.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It was a cold Thursday night when alone in the studio Willow was concentrating on giving a certain series of poems form from the cluttered masses of 14-point Times New Roman.

She'd been working for some time and was happily lost in her own little world when the door creaked open. Immediately, a sense of self-consciousness flooded her being and Willow quickly flushed at the interruption. She couldn't help but turn and glance at the intruder who dared disrupt her private cocoon. Some people flooded into a room and demanded attention in snobbery, beauty, or import. Some entered mid-conversation and others as if they owned the place. But this evening, a pair of rather timid, curious eyes framed in deliciously wispy light-brown hair peeked around the door. A mittened hand soon followed.

Pleased at the lack of brutish intrusion and willing to entertain, Willow straightened up in her stool and asked welcomingly, "Um, hi. Can I help you with something?"

The girl, who had been busy looking around the room, turned her head toward the voice and noticed Willow for the first time. "Oh, um, hey, i-is this The Golden Armadillo Press?"

Willow nodded, "Oh yeah, are you looking for Barry? He's only in on Mondays and Wednesdays."

A half-smile graced the visitor and she shook her head, "Oh, that's okay. I contacted him a few days ago though, actually. Asked if I could come in sometimes and work."

Willow couldn't help it, a piece of her stomach sank. But I'd only just started getting this place to myself! She forced a happy face, "Oh, that's great. Well, make yourself at home, I guess. It's nice and quiet at night, but I suppose you figured that out, huh?"

The girl shrugged out of her coat and hung it on the hook outside the door then turned back to Willow. "Yeah, but I kinda like it that way. It's much more intimate this way, don't you think?" She peeled a mitten off and offered her hand, "Tara."

Ok, so this might not be all that bad. No sense in being a Grinch about it, Will. Be nice. She clasped Tara's hand and sparkled a genuine smile. "Willow."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Willow's mind worked quickly and left half-verbalized ideas in the dust. The bits of her brain clicked ahead of how fast she was capable of speaking, which resulted in blabber, run on sentences, and general awkwardness. With the presses, though, she didn't have to worry about that. Words were already carefully chosen, selected, sculpted, and set for her. The presses, with their whirligigs and gears, operated on a speed that Willow felt paced her well. Once a job was locked up in the bed of the press, she slid easily into a rhythm of lining the paper, rolling the cylinder that inked the type and impressed the paper, picking the print up at the end, and rolling the cylinder back; rinse and repeat. It was similar to the ocean, with an ebb and flow of flesh and steel working together to make something beautiful.

Like an athlete concentrated on her game, Willow disliked the interruptions, distractions, and noise of working in a full classroom. Eleven other people created an awful lot of traffic and hubbub. That's why nights for Willow were so special. Separate from all that, the studio became a haven for the work she wanted to accomplish. She couldn't sink into the tide of printing or the meditation of setting type if there were bits of conversation and talk flying about the air.

But Tara seemed to at once quell the business of her mind and make it whirl faster. At first, tense that Tara would burst with idle small talk, Willow maintained her distance. She stuck to the corner where there was little reason for Tara to walk by and quiet her humming. But with each passing day, Willow grew more and more comfortable. Instead of their own private work bubbles clashing against one another in the small room, they seemed to melt at the edges and become one. The Willow and Tara Venn diagram meshed on an equilibrium. Before she knew it, Willow found herself in tune with Tara's little quirks- like sliced persimmons in a sandwich bag or the Motown station on the internet radio that she softly sang along with under her breath. Willow could sense the tickle of magic Tara brought with her when she came. Each time, Tara brought a little gift she'd share with Willow, "My little way of saying thanks for letting me invade your space." Willow smiled and her heart opened up a bit more each time. First it was bringing an extra cup of mocha, then it was a handful of Hershey's miniatures, a finger puppet, a new poem.

Willow started to enjoy coming in not to work, but to simply be in Tara's presence. Willow was captivated by the warmth and contentment Tara oozed. From the shuffle of her steps, the sway of her hips, to the curve of her neck and shoulder, Willow was starting to pay more and more attention to the anatomy of Tara and less to the anatomy of the letters.

Strangely enough, Willow didn't think she minded that much.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It'd been three weeks since their first encounter, and Tara felt more confident working in the studio. She'd felt awful intruding on what was obviously a private, special time for Willow. She tried to respect the space and withhold an environment of solitude, despite sharing a relatively small place. Tara loved working by herself, too. There was something to be said for the way the often repetitious motions of grabbing letters, forming words, making paragraphs, stanzas or pages took her away from the world. Here, Tara could work endlessly and yet think of nothing. Her mind was blissfully empty. Schoolwork and responsibility fell away until there was only her hands, working and forming art.

It was lonely, of course. But sometimes it was the only way to remedy the dull ache of having no one. Tara would take lots of little nothings and form something tangible and real. Tara stamped out the void with lead and ink. She loved to caress the imprint of the characters on the page. The texture gave Tara hope. Maybe one day she could be touched like that. Perhaps one day she'd discover impressions of skin instead of paper in love's arms.

It was paper that drew her here, away from her father who complained of her uselessness and the town that was dry, dull, and brittle and threatened to swallow her whole. Paper was born of tenacity and strength. The rags and fiber, beaten and broken, emerged into pulp and, once raised from the waters, became stronger and more enduring than steel. She liked to think it was a nice parallel. And it was. She'd done just that. Escaped to college and now thriving, Tara returned to paper; it was part of her.

But right now, she was flummoxed by it. At the moment, paper was a frame for the blank page that mocked her. Nothing poses a problem quite like a white sheet. Well, it's making for a good opportunity. "Willow?" she called. "Do you mind helping me for a minute?"

The redhead, busy engrossed in her own work, wiped her hands on her apron and met Tara at the table. "What's up?" she asked lightly.

"Well, see, I'm working on this poem, but it's not sitting on the page well. Something is off and I can't figure out what it is."

Willow studied the page in front of her. "May I?" she asked and motioned to the pieces of paper with text that laid atop the blank page.

"Of course," Tara replied. She watched engrossed as Willow's hands moved deftly, bringing new possibilities to light. Tara's body hummed being so close to Willow. She ached to feel how smooth her fingernails were or see how light could fall on the planes of her brow and cheek. She wanted to learn just how green those eyes could be.

"What if you dropped the first line down and made the sonnet number larger, like a title. Then the space between the top of the page and the bottom would correspond to your title page out here. That way the inside with the poem could sorta fit with the front like a puzzle."

Tara studied the proposed idea. "Oh, I like that a lot. How do you do that? Took what, a minute and you solved all my problems." Well, not all of them.

Willow shrugged. "I dunno, I think the paper pretty much figures it out. I just kinda...listen."

Tara taped down the layout and replied, "Well, you're a very good listener."

"Nah, your poem did all the work. I've never read that one before," she blushed as she read the stanza aloud,
"'thou canst prevail against my fears and fling
thy purple around me, till my heart shall grow
too close against thine heart henceforth to know
how it shook when alone. '

It's so intimate. Kinda reminds me of being wrapped in a blanket. But, you know, in word form."

Hearing those words aloud made her flush and Tara couldn't help but smile. "I like that, word blanket. Nice little metaphor for a poem. What does your blanket over there look like?"

Willow looked back at where she was working and explained, "Oh, that? It's nothing special, just a holiday card. I know it's a little early, but things get busy so quickly and I want to make sure they get done in time for the end of the semester."

"Oh, nonsense, they sound pretty special to me." So much direct conversation with Willow made her giddy and she couldn't help herself from asking, "Think maybe I could get one when they're done? I'd love to have a Willow original."

Willow's eyes lit up, "Oh, of course! But you were already going to get one, silly."

Surprised, Tara's brows lifted. "Oh! Well, looks like I'll have to think of a holiday something for you, too. A one-sided gift is something I just cannot abide by."

Just when Tara thought Willow couldn't get any cuter, she stuck out the tip of her tongue. "Well, Tara, I just guess we'll have to keep an eye on our respective mail boxes then, shall we?"

She nodded in agreement and beamed, "I guess we will."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanksgiving came and went and ushered frantic term papers, exams, and finals in its wake. December had never seemed so harried.
Willow needed some fresh air, and on Saturday went to town on an errand; a very straightforward errand involving fetching candy canes to tie to the cards she'd finished making. The wind was out full force and Willow was carefully bundled up in layers of winter gear. She shoved her hands in her pockets, quickly looked both ways before crossing the street, and bounced her way across to Serios, the local store.

She yanked the door open in anticipation for the wave of delicious heat that would warm her red nose but instead crashed face first into an outgoing customer. Abashed at her clumsiness, Willow burst into a flurry of apologies and kneeled down to pick up tumbled groceries. "Oh my gosh, I'm so so sorry, ma'am, I am such a klutz, I've never made this much food fall to the ground before. I completely wasn't looking. I'm so sorr-" Willow went cross-eyed as a finger laid itself on her lips which halted the cascade of apologies. She flicked her eyes from the finger to the wrist it was attached to and followed the arm up until she reached the rather bemused face of a rosy-cheeked Tara.

Butterflies flooded Willow's insides, but she managed to squeak out, "Oh, um. Hi?"

Tara smiled, "Hi, Willow. I see you're running a pretty important errand."

Arms full, Willow straightened up and put Tara's groceries back in their bag. "Oh! Yeah. But not really 'yeah', it's not that important of an errand. Just...candy canes. 'Tis the season and all." She shut up before her mouth could run too far ahead and put her hands back in her pockets. "Um, really sorry by the way."

Tara shrugged and replied with a grin, "Eh, s'ok. Good thing I didn't need eggs though, right?"

"Heh, yeah, guess so." Crap. I can't think of anything else to say. Since when do I have a hard time coming up with things to say!? She was about to open her mouth and say something that was probably very stupid, but Tara interrupted first. Thank goodness.

"Listen, Will, I'm actually running a bit late and kinda have to pull a hit and run here. But I'll see you...y'know, sometime?"

"Oh, of course! You, go. Enjoy your non-smashable foodstuffs and whatnot. See you later."

Tara flashed a smile before disappearing into the cold. Willow was enjoying the sight of Tara walking away when she was jolted by a brutish voice.

"Arrhmhm." A still-grinning Willow turned to see a disgruntled woman in front of her eyeing the door. Willow's eyebrows shot up, "ooh, sorry. Excuse me," she peeped before hastily scooting out of the way. Willow let the nervous in her tummy settle by releasing the passing encounter with a deep sigh and set off to find the holiday goods aisle.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It was thirteen days before the campus closed for winter break and after hours studying in the library, Willow was more than ready to unwind in the studio. She had that now-familiar tingle of excitement as she approached the Armadillo, hoping to see Tara already engrossed in her work. The light was on, but there was no sign of a coat or bag hanging outside. Willow pried off her bag, dumped her coat on a hook and crept inside. "Hello?"

Nothing was out of place. No drawer was left open, no ink was out, no dissolvent was out of the cabinet. Even so, Willow sensed something was off. She peered around the corner, called out, "Tara?" and checked the hallway once more just to be sure. Nothing. Perhaps someone had either forgotten to shut the lights before they left or whoever left would come back.

Willow shrugged, went to the table and pulled out her tray that was heavy with tied type on it, ready to work. It was then that she noticed an extra block of letters on the galley she hadn't made. Instead of leaving it out where it could get knocked over, she decided to get an impression, see whose work it was, and put it where it was supposed to be. Once she inked the surface of the letters Willow placed a piece of scrap paper on top and cranked the lever to the proof press.

Expecting to see a colophon or a poem stanza, Willow was both surprised and delighted to find - in 14-point Perpetua - a note: Dear Willow, I have a feeling you're searching for something. So am I. If you're willing to help me look for it, go to the 30-point Janson case. -Tara

Dumbfounded, Willow's hand shook and she sat herself on a nearby stool. Things like this didn't happen to her, things like this didn't happen to anyone; they were simply too good to be true. These sort of things happened in films, books, the stories she read or the dreams she had, but no-never ever in real life.

What if it wasn't real and she woke up in five minutes? Or what if it was a cruel joke? She paused. Well.. so what 'what if'? What if it didn't matter? What if she went to the 30-point Janson case? Willow's life was made of such little things, surely she could afford to open a drawer and see what if.

While her mind was running laps, Willow's heart, forever in fear of being broken, dared to beat a little faster. And she opened the drawer.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Tara sat at a small cafe table in the building atrium, nervously gripped her mug, looked at her watch, and thought for the millionth time she'd done the wrong thing.

She's got a girlfriend. She's got a boyfriend. She thinks I'm a total dork. God, that was the stupidest thing I've ever done- lead a girl you barely know on a treasure hunt of poems around a type studio. Real slick, Slick.

Tara looked at her watch again.

It's been twenty minutes. Surely it's been enough time. Unless she didn't proof the block and didn't find the first note. Jesus, what if someone else finds that type? Ok, whoa, breathe, you can just go up and fix it after she leaves. Oh god, she's leaving.

Panic and Nervous nosedived into Tara's gut when she saw red hair in the doorway at the opposite end of the atrium. Willow's face was shrouded by the overhead lighting as she walked.

It was just all an accident, really. A series of events that happened completely by chance that resulted in what turned out to change her life. If she'd gotten up at 7:45 instead of 7:50 and had no problems accessing the internet to register for classes or even if she'd been pushed up at the cutoff in Kindergarten then she'd be roaming around this earth completely unaware that Willow Rosenberg existed. If things had gone just a *little* bit differently, everything would have stayed the same. And she just couldn't have that. Not now.

Not after living on glimpses of auburn and sparkles of freckles for weeks. She was delicious. Tara translated her into flavors and sounds: cinnamon and violins. She brought persimmons because they were the closest thing she could imagine to what Willow tasted like.

They didn't talk much. They didn't have to.

Tara looked up, "It wasn't exactly a holiday card."

Willow grinned and sat at the seat opposite Tara. She put her elbows on the table, but the smile ebbed and she soberly started, "Tara, I-"

Fuck, here it comes.

"I've only got one thing good for giving." Oh. It was then that Tara noticed how Willow clasped her hands together, how quickly she was breathing, and how fiercely her eyes searched her own. "I'd like to help you find what you're looking for, if you'd have me."

Nothing in the world shone brighter than Tara's smile that December night. Her insides glowed. Again, she looked at her watch. "Woodstar's still open. Get some hot cocoa with me?"

"I'd love to have hot cocoa with you."

They gathered their things and headed out, buzzing with a new kind of energy. It was all beginning.

Tara let the door close behind them when Willow turned and asked "So, do you pull an Indiana Jones on all the girls you meet?"

[center]The End[/center]

Last edited by Zooeys_Bridge on Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:48 am 
19. Yummy Face

Good story...

Posting While Nude Improves Your Mood.

Post subject: Re: Fic Challenge: 'Tis the Season (Updated, 11 entries)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:52 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Chris,
Thanks for the lush graphic you made for my story on your top-end website. It encompasses all the elements of the story as I would have if I could draw anything other than stick people or could only trace Willow and Tara.
Cheers,
Blayne aka Taralicious

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:30 am 
23. Volumey Text

Great fic.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:34 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Zampsa and SJ[: thanks so much for reading and commenting. Glad you liked it!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:29 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Rachel,
What a lovely story to usher in the new year with. Willow's experiences with books and printing are the resons why I am a writer as well. I can totally relate to her social awkwardness and her tendency to find solace and comfort in books. My security places are all literary related.
I really enjoyed the letterpress youtube video as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:46 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
Both replies to feedback and some feedback of my own:
thiswomanswork -
Quote:
Great googly-mooglies, that was hot.
Thanks so much.

BentBrokenTheory – I’m glad you liked the continuation of the S&S – verse. It’s a really fun playground. I didn’t originally fathom that I’d someday have 4 stories in that verse but like I said: fun playground. I’m glad you liked it. Thanks.

SJ – I’ll take that for me as well. Thanks.

taralicious – Ewww. Finger sandwiches. Still, thanks so much and bonus points for using the word macabre.

Zooeys_Bridge – Wow. I can’t even really imagine when I’ll have the time to get back to an epic. But short stories are just right for me these days. You know I’m always complimented by the thoughts of people taking cold showers. You know what’s even better? Using all that newfound sexual energy to… well you get the idea.

Quote:
Now *this* was a rendition of Five Golden Rings I've never in a million years contemplated, but I can sure as hell promise you there's no way I'll be able to hear that song without thinking of this steamy tale.
It’s actually something I’ve been considering for years. Our RKT series have had Christmas carols in them and I’ve thought about it every year. I’m glad that it’s new to you though.

Quote:
vamp!Tara is just way beyond wicked. She knows how to play with and enjoy her prey perhaps even more than vamp!Willow.
Well keep in mind that she was twisted and pretty much insane before she was even turned while Willow was a normal kid before she was turned. So Tara’s got a head-start in cruel and crazy.

Keep imagining that 5th golden ring. Tee hee.

Thanks.

Chris
Quote:
You're having entirely too much fun murdering off the majority of the show's cast
Nope. Exactly the right amount of fun. And I’m leaving Giles relatively unscathed. Well, unscathed besides his psychological demons I guess.

Quote:
I really liked that closing admission from Willow - they may not be capable of love, but her and Tara are something like it, fundamentally drawn to each other regardless.
I’m glad to hear you say that. I have to admit that after posting this I lay in bed that night really doubting that paragraph. I kind of feel like if I had just left them both saying “I adore you” and calling each other “my monster” it would have shown that they’re fundamentally incapable of love or at least of using the word but that they are as close as they can get. And the pet-name my monster seems to true. They’re not “my sweetheart” or “sweetie” or anything because they’re brutal monsters but they belong to each other.

Quote:
But now you've got me puzzling - what will they do with the last ring? (I've had one bizarre idea, but it'd become functionally inconvenient pretty quickly unless they took it out again afterwards.)
Well, I admit that I certainly have a thought of where I’d put it if I were a vampire. But I can think of a few very fun locations.

Thanks always.

jasmydae – What? You haven’t read S&S? People frequently tell me it’s my best story. I would probably say it’s my 2nd favorite (after Waiting for Dani). It’s definitely the most inspired story I’ve ever written. Go read them. If you enjoy this W/T, you’ll enjoy them in their earlier “careers.” Tee hee.

Diane – Take it as easy as you can and come by when you can.

spells42 – You’re quite welcome. I hope you had a great holiday.

Chris – Your long overdue feedback coming right up.
Quote:
Add too a handful of magical and mystical what-nots to brighten up the place, in the hopes of catching the eye of a Hollywood producer with hopes of making the next Harry Potter film, ogres and trolls and elves and the usual assortment of Tolkien off-casts, and - don't forget - blanket the whole shebang in a torrential downpour that had the local populace scurrying for cover, and the sky's complement of dragons, pegasi and so on diverting to other airports while cursing the cost of fuel and wondering if they could sue the weather-girl, who'd better hope someone invents, in order, the printing press, newspapers, and the Page Three Girl right promptly, because it doesn't look like her current career has legs.
What a fantastic two opening paragraphs – you’ve given the reader the tone and setting and some laughs all up front.

Quote:
There's a solid rule of fantasy adventure that it must contain a suitably racy woman in skimpy attire, for the cover artist to use should this tale become a paperback and need to attract the notice (and gratefully-received pennies) of horny teenagers, and indeed Faith the Barbarian - for it is she - has brought a marathon's worth of racy, and some to spare.
Well, dammit. I’m going to be quoting this entire thing, am I not? Awesome.

Quote:
"I am!" Faith gleefully confirmed, performing a mischievous curtsey. "And may I present my trusted and overdressed associate Buffy."
- Seriously, Dude. I’m trying (not very hard) to work and mostly I’m sitting in my cube literally laughing out loud and it’s all your fault.

Quote:
His employer had made a villainous monologue explaining her evil scheme-"

"Naturally," Buffy nodded.

"Good to see the old ways being kept up," Faith agreed.
Most excellent.

Quote:
"Willow?" Tara asked, instantly intrigued for reasons that weren't at all clear to her, but let's face it, will save time in the long run.
Woo hoo.

Quote:
"We've got a job for you, Red!" Faith declared heartily. "We need to get to the North Pole in..." She glanced at her wrist, forgetting that it was several centuries before the wristwatch would be invented, then shook her head. "...real soon, and you're the only one crazy enough to guide us without demanding a stupid load of money. Interested?"
Faith and the honesty – a great policy!

So Willow’s inventing Wikipeadea. Awesome.

Quote:
"I don't know," Anya said warily. "It seems a bit based in sentiment and feelings and all that. I've always liked the cold, ruthless simplicity of sweet, raw, seductive capitalism, so big and strong and it just grabs you and you melt into it, and claw its back as it thrusts-"
Ok. I think I’m creeped out now but I’m not totally sure.

Ok, that was seriously awesome and cute. Take this as a compliment: this is the first story on the KB in a long long time that I’ve considered telling my wife to read. She would be amused as well and she’s quite gasp over gasp W/T.

Thanks, Chris.

Zooeys_Bridge – Well I have to admit that I know nothing at all about typeset or printing press or whatever. And I didn’t have a chance to watch the video. But I really love your description of the solitude and delicacy of the press. I think that it’s interesting how we all have these sort of canon characteristics of W/T and then we find other ways for those canon characteristics to come out. So for Willow’s this is more about clearing her mind and solitude and for Tara it’s more artistic. Well done there.
Quote:
Instead of their own private work bubbles clashing against one another in the small room, they seemed to melt at the edges and become one.
I like that. Makes me think of soap bubbles even though they always pop when they come together.

Quote:
Enjoy your non-smashable foodstuffs and whatnot.
I think that’s what we’ll put on our holiday card next year.

My only disappointment is that there’s no further explanation of the scavenger hunt. We don’t know exactly what was in the Janson case. Why not just send Willow directly to the coffee shop or detail the steps or allude to them? Actually, here’s my only advice (I hope this is ok): I would like it if Willow held the last note in her hand – you could show how much she values the last clue to where Tara is waiting. Something like that.

Anyway, I love it. It’s lovely and all first-meety. So cute.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:32 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

taralicious: I'm glad you enjoyed the video! I'm so happy it's online and available. I snuck a lot of myself into this, from the actual presswork to the little Willow in the library. I figured not everyone was that socially savvy at such a young age, why should Willow escape? Clearly she didn't in the show, so I just adapted her a bit here. Glad we can bond over letters and words. Nothing quite like holding a book, eh? :) Thanks for reading.

Justskipit: I know, I didn't get to flush out the scavenger hunt as well as I would have liked to, I was more focused on getting the story posted by New Years. Retrospect gets me every time, but I'd like to go back and finish that piece of the story more, it does feel like it's lacking a bit.

I also love seeing W & T's characteristics come out in different ways/places. I'm lucky I got to use something close to me to do it.

Quote:
I think that’s what we’ll put on our holiday card next year.
ha! I know, right? Part of me was thinking, "gross, what did she buy, baby food?". I guess I just meant anything not-squishable, ie; bread, eggs, or tomatoes. Whew. Wonder what Tara's cooking, even I don't know!

I'll be thinking of Willow holding that last bit of paper with a re-write, Deb. Thanks for filling the hole so nicely :) And thanks for reading and saying a lil' something, means a whole lot.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:10 am 
18. Breast Gal

Rachel: Thanks again for the feedback :) But of course, What Defines Us - that was brilliant. A really lovely portrayal of Willow and Tara, and Will slowly warming up to Tara, but what really made it work was how you described Willow's passion for books and layout and typography and printing. And 'passion' really is the word for it - you took something that a lot of people would probably see as dry, maybe even dull, and described it in such a way that the artistry and dedication and the connection that Willow has with it came across so clearly. Especially the idea of empty space, and Willow turning it from loneliness into something vibrant that could sustain her. It really fleshed out the story, and made the eventual discovery of Tara and then realisation of her feelings much more fulfilling - that in the 'solo' portion of the story Willow wasn't just lonely and hoping someone would turn up, she already had this avenue to explore her intense, passionate feelings. Bravo!

Diane: Ouch, sorry to hear about your rough holiday season. I hope 2009 treats you better. And it's been a joy for us (speaking impromptu for everyone) to see this challenge do well too, so thanks for your part in starting it up.

Anne: Thanks :)

Blayne: Thank you! I wish I could remember where I saw 'pneumatic' used in that sense - I'm sure it's something I read somewhere, but I can't bring it to mind. I'm glad you like the graphic too :)

JustSkipIt: Thanks! I had a lot of fun working on all those descriptive passages - though it wasn't without a lot of fretting about whether anyone would laugh, or just wonder what the heck I was going on about :blush I had a great time working with Faith the Barbarian (again) - at times I had to concentrate to keep her from overwhelming the rest of the story with her antics. I think she's probably done so much heroic adventuring that she's realised, maybe only on a subconscious level, that no matter what she does the story will work itself out in the end, so she doesn't worry about anything and just does what she pleases. In some ways, I envy being able to write her like that - even in silly stories like this I try to keep Willow and Tara a bit serious, so there's something there for people to grab onto and follow as a proper story. But Faith can just go of and be this manic cartoon character and have a blast.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:31 pm 
3. Flaming O

@JustSkipIt

Can you be any cooler!?!

That was awesome!!! That was the coolest thing ever! Vampire Tara is probably the hottest creation of all times! And Vampire Willow? It's almost a shower moment....=] Wow I just need a moment to bow down at your excellence. Wow.

You're really too cool for my limited vocabulary to describe.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:29 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 8
New to the archive. You can leave feedback!

Kisses and Gay Love
"I like my buttons, curvy." - Willow, Neverland, by Easiersaid

Post subject: Re: How the Witch Stole Christmas by Jasmydae
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:33 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 136
Dubs Festive Advent Challenge – Day 16
Quote:
Willow Rosenberg hated Christmas.

Preach!

Quote:
The pungent, piney smoke curled up to her home and the scent, no matter how tightly she sealed the windows, always managed to permeate every room

Stop giving me scented candles. Why are they even a gift? Is my lighting inadequate and does my house smell of faecal matter and BO? You think some frosted everglade will help that. Also roast a marshmallow over a scented candle and it’s the worst thing you’ll ever eat. Open fire is only good for marshmallow roasting and disposing of the evidence. I’ve already roasted my marshmallow

Quote:
. Most of all, Willow hated the singing.

The Addams family know the correct way to deal with unwanted carol singers. I will entertain a Jehovah witness trying to push pamphlets onto me but if you are singing in my face while I awkwardly stand at my door dressed in clothes not suitable for socialising but maybe acceptable for quickly picking up a parcel behind the bin. Then you bet you’re getting the hose.

Quote:
From this distance, the dull cheering sounded like the hollow wheeze of a dying person’s last breath.

Someone nudge Grandma again. Will our inheritance be our gift today? It would beat the moth eaten socks she got us.

Quote:
The rest of the world shifted into slow motion as a moment of clarity sank in. It was the perfect idea. Willow knew exactly what needed to be done.

Their houses are empty, best go see what their fridges have and raid through all their stuff. I know you still have that spanner Sandra and I’m taking it back.

Quote:
when no food appeared after a minute, he wandered off to check the bowl in the kitchen again

It will be ready when it’s ready. *grabs another alcoholic beverage and weeps on the floor*

Quote:
You can’t avoid people forever, you know.”

Try me.

Quote:
“Maybe you should be sitting down,”

Every year I wonder if this phrase will get a new record in the tally it’s said. Wouldn’t have the issue if someone offered to help with the slightest bit of sincerity and actually wanted to give competent help. You can guarantee if you do sit down that it will be that moment someone wants a drink but you can’t say it’s in the kitchen because you know everything will be moved and the entire system will be disrupted and those cooling cheese straws will mysteriously disappear.

Quote:
She had discovered that she liked watching the victims sleep.

If they are sleeping, they aren’t criticizing.

Quote:
he squad car pulled up to the scene of the accident

Really it’s nothing officer, you know families and Christmas. They did the exact same thing at Uncle Dave’s 50th. It’s not real money stolen from a bank it’s just monopoly and I’m sure they both have been stealing from the bank when they’ve each gone to the loo.

Challenge aside, this is a great little story. The feelings of grief and loneliness turned into bitterness but ultimately the healing would only come from togetherness. It’s kind of hard to comment on for me as I’m on year seven of shutting out the world, different circumstances but I get it which adds a real element as the emotional core to the piece in this Seuss world.
Quote:
She seemed to have been instilled with an inner confidence that had always been missing, and she radiated an aura of peace and tranquility. … one corner of her mouth curled slightly higher than the other, projecting an impish glee that made Willow think she shared an inside joke with life.

I really like that description of Tara, I think its spot on.

A very respectable tribute to your mother Megan.

*Rides in on a tricycle* Wanna play a game? - Five Minutes of Artistic Integrity - Those Three Little Words - Sassy Synonyms - Aradia's Antonyms

Post subject: Re: Oh, On, Oh by Ophelia11
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:34 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 136
Dubs Festive Advent Challenge – Day 21
Quote:
Earlier that evening her confidence was far higher, but now defeat seemed evident.

Been making subtle hints all day about various Christmas films, even had a good discussion about which film displayed the better nature of changing your ways, A Christmas Carol or It’s a Wonderful life but here we are watching the soaps seeing Deidre Barlow do her best turkey impression, no wait, that’s just her normal neck.

Quote:
gift wrapping was an entirely different battle.

Put it everything in gift bags, bonus points if it’s a bag given to you. Shove tissue paper on top to hide the items. Minimum effort but looks fancy. No finding the end of the cello tape for an hour and then start practicing discus in aggression mode.

Quote:
what adult can't wrap a simple box? A box!"

The kind that doesn’t bother buying anything to wrap at all but will happily receive. Hi Sandra.

Quote:
wrapped unevenly with corners overlapping at one end, and box peeking out beneath on the other.

I’d like to counter that people who tape over every single opening is a worse wrapper. They know what they are doing and they want to make you suffer. At least a poorly wrapped present on purpose shows you couldn’t careless and are just doing it because otherwise another year of texts stating the remaining shopping days until Christmas left will ensue.

Quote:
she wondered why there weren't actually holiday armadillos and so..."

Stick anything in a Santa hat and you can make it a holiday object. Mr Hankey proves that, I mean who doesn’t hold him and get a warm feeling.

Quote:
"Have you given any thought to how you'd like to spend Christmas Eve?"

In denial that tomorrow has to happen.

Challenge aside, in one simple event of wrapping gifts Ophelia manages to provide, the frantic clumsiness of Willow along with the ever stalwart, caring Tara and together combining in great chemistry between the two. A fun little read to ease the wrapping stresses.

*Rides in on a tricycle* Wanna play a game? - Five Minutes of Artistic Integrity - Those Three Little Words - Sassy Synonyms - Aradia's Antonyms