The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fic Challenge: 'Tis the Season (Updated, 11 entries)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:02 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 8
Hey guys! We wanted to inject a little holiday season into Pens, seeing that things are moving quite slowly over here. So masterjendu, dline, and I came up with a little fic challenge, and hopefully some of you guys will participate!

Based on previous fic challenges moderated by GayNow, here are the requirements as follows:

1. The fic must be completed in one posting.

2. The fic must be set during the holiday season, be it Christmas, Hanukah, Kwanzaa, Yule, New Year's . . . you get my gist.

3. The fic must make use of the following objects (how and why is completely up to you):
- an armadillo
- gold, frankincense, or myrrh

4. Willow or Tara should quote one holiday lyric as part of normal dialogue.

5. There must be a mention/inclusion of some (any) element of the Grinch Who Stole Christmas (the 1966 Boris Karloff cartoon).

Alrighty, have at it!

Kisses and Gay Love
"I like my buttons, curvy." - Willow, Neverland, by Easiersaid

Last edited by Foomatic on Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:07 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Fic Challenge: 'Tis the Season
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:44 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
Foo - What a great challenge. I'll have to see if inspiration strikes me although it seems unlikely. But I hope we have some good stories.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:13 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

I don't do well playing in other people's sandboxes as I can't conform to the constraints of writing within the parameters of established characters but I may generate an idea or two nevertheless.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:37 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

I should have something ready to post for this challenge by tomorrow. ^_^

Where do the entries go? Replies to this thread, or in threads of their own with a link back here?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:24 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Hmmm... Maybe I will write my very first W/T fic for this challenge!
or maybe not, I may need a warm up before hand. But I think I will enter it either way. Just sounds like too much fun, I mean, an armadillo!
And by the way, Hello Everybody! this is my first post besides the introduction thread. :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:34 am 
5. Willowhand

I'm loving all the interest in this! Nice work. Foo!!

Megan: Lookin' forward to whatever you've got (even if it is delaying Constants)! I'd say put 'em here so we can keep them all together. Cool with you, Foo?

Welcome to the KB, loveguru. I'm hoping you find it in you to write for this, especially if you can incorporate an armadillo (Holiday or not!).

Bring it on, taralicious; the WT sandbox has gotta be the best kind of constraint there is!

And come on, Deb; the KB has been sadly lacking in the JustSkipIt awesomeness.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:52 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Score! Please post all challenge fics in this thread. I can't wait to see what you guys come up with!

Kisses and Gay Love

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:02 am 
21. Geek Infested Roots

Topics: 1
I've been thinking about writing a Xmas W/T fic. Looks like I finally got my motivation.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:54 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Woo! First entry!

Title: How the Witch Stole Christmas
Author: Jasmydae (Megan)
Email: jasmydae at jasmydae dot com
Rating: PG-13 for some darker passages

Summary: This is my entry to Foomatic’s “’Tis the Season” challenge. The rules: the fic 1) must be completed in one posting; 2) must be set during the holiday season; 3) must include an armadillo, and gold, frankincense, or myrrh; 4) must have Willow or Tara quote one holiday lyric as part of normal dialog; and 5) must mention of any element of The Grinch. I took number five, and ran with it.

Disclaimer: Joss / ME / etc. owns all the BtVS characters. Emphasized poetry and large chunks of plot are from Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas. This story is just for fun, and not for profit.

Note: This story holds a special place in my heart. My mother—who passed away last year—read The Grinch to my sister and me on Christmas Eve, every year. She did the most adorable voice for Cindy-Lou Who.

[center]~*~[/center]

Every Who
Down in Who-ville
Liked Christmas a lot…

But the Witch,
Who lived just north of Who-ville,
Did NOT!

Willow Rosenberg hated Christmas. From the discomfort of her dilapidated porch, she stared down with a frosty glower at the peaceful town that lay at the bottom of the hill, her callused fingertips drumming distractedly on the rough wooden doorframe. Willow hated everything about the holiday season. She hated the Tri-County area championship football game, played annually on the field at Whoville High. The jubilant cries of the screaming fans wafted up the gentle slope, and the victory hoots—an homage to the school’s mascot, Whitley the Whooping Crane—pounded their way into her brain every time the home team scored. She hated the traditional bonfire, which was held after the game. The pungent, piney smoke curled up to her home and the scent, no matter how tightly she sealed the windows, always managed to permeate every room, displacing the markedly preferred aroma of cabbage and dog. She hated the rampant consumerism—the signs in the front windows of every store, boasting the best prices for the gadgets you simply had to have; the television advertisements touting products that were the perfect gift for Mom or Dad; even the sickeningly colorful fliers, which began appearing in her mailbox come late November, every year like clockwork.

Most of all, Willow hated the singing. The syrupy sweet, cheerful songs that played endlessly on the radio were, to her ears, like a rusty knife scraping over ceramic dishes. As awful as the radio jingles were, however, they weren’t nearly as bad as the caroling. Every Christmas, the parents of Whoville would lead their children from house to house, belting out renditions of traditional seasonal tunes. The songs were supposed to be joyous and merry, but when Willow heard them, she couldn’t help but think of a screeching cat with its tail in a blender. She hated the singing most of all because it conveyed a sentiment that she couldn’t abide: that the citizens of Whoville were a loving, caring people, who wanted to share their joy, and wanted include everyone in their community of revelry. And that, Willow knew, was a big, fat lie.

“Hey, Rosy Burger, wait up!” Larry Blaisdell called out.

Willow kept her head down, trying to push her way through one of the crowded hallways of Dr. Theodore Geisel Middle School. The jeering taunts echoed down the corridor, following her progress through the sea of students.

“Burger! We just wanted to know how the folks over at Goodwill were doing; we figured you’d know!”

Six different spells rattled through Willow’s mind. She could make all their hair fall out. No, no—she could make their clothes suddenly disappear. She peeked over her shoulder to see whether she had escaped, and breathed a sigh of relief when she saw the boys weren’t keeping pace. Willow didn’t know what she’d done to garner the unfortunate attention of the Pop Warner youth football team, but whatever it was had offended most of the cheerleaders, as well. Rounding a corner, Willow ran nose-first into Cordelia Chase, who recoiled from the contact.

“Watch it!” the girl shrieked. She brushed at her jacket where it had touched Willow, as though ridding it of something unclean. “Ew. Now I need to get this dry cleaned,” she remarked to one of her entourage. “Who knows what kind of disgusting germs she’s got growing on her.”

“Yeah, she probably hasn’t had a shower in weeks.”

“And I’ll bet that old house is a serious breeding ground for all sorts of gross things.”

Willow ground her teeth as the girls continued to speak about her as though she weren’t standing directly in front of them. She could make them blind. Or, better yet, she could give them all horrible acne. Willow tightened her fingers into fists, her neglected fingernails digging mercilessly into her palms. The cheerleaders moved on, pointedly giving the redhead a wide berth, and their snide remarks faded down the hallway. With a target for her rage no longer present, the throbbing fury spilled over into misery, and Willow flew down the hall before anybody could see the tears begin to fall.

That had been her last day at school, Willow recalled. When she’d finally broken down and revealed to her parents the hardships she was enduring five days a week, they’d pulled her out immediately to begin homeschooling. Things got easier after that. While at school, Willow had been so full of doubt and anxiety that she couldn’t focus in her classes; at home, she excelled at her studies, easily mastering material intended for students several grades higher.

When she wasn’t studying her coursework, Willow was honing her craft. Her mother, Sheila, said it was a talent that made her special in a way the other children would never be able to understand. She taught Willow to move in the same direction as the magic, to harness it with grace and reverence. To Shelia, magic was a gift; to Ira, Willow’s father, it was a science. Ira stressed discipline, impressing upon Willow that having such power necessitated precise control and nearly limitless willpower. While her parents’ approaches to magic were otherwise distinct, they converged at one point: to use her powers against another living being was strictly forbidden. No good could ever come of it, they insisted.

The rising whoop of the fans carried up the hill, causing Willow to retreat into her house. From this distance, the dull cheering sounded like the hollow wheeze of a dying person’s last breath. Willow was intimately familiar with the sound; tomorrow would mark the eight-year anniversary of her parents’ deaths, but she could still hear the echo of her father’s shallow, ragged gasps as his body wound down. They had been young—barely fifty years old—when a drunk driver had broadsided their car at the intersection of Highland and Cedar after one of the football games. The impact had been on the passenger side, and her mother had been killed instantly. Willow had received the call at work, and had spent the next forty-six hours in the hospital, leaving only once to race home so she could feed Scooby, take a five-minute shower, and switch into clean clothes. She had been holding her father’s hand when he died, at five twenty-seven in the evening on Christmas Day. That night, when the carolers had climbed the long, twisting drive that wound its way up the hill to her house to share their tidings of comfort and joy, Willow had conjured a storm. The gale had taken out jagged sections of the house’s front porch, and sent the singers scampering back down the slope.

A shaggy head brushed up against her fingers, and they unconsciously curled into the soft hair. Willow knelt by her dog’s side and pulled the animal into a gentle embrace, which it responded to with heavy panting. When Scooby’s rough tongue rasped across her cheek, Willow pulled away, making a face and wiping the skin with the palm of her hand. “Hello to you, too,” she chuckled. She contemplated the retriever for a moment, before remarking, “You could really use a haircut, you know that? I’m going to have to dig up those clippers one of these days.” The dog, as though able to comprehend her intentions, spun and skittered across the kitchen’s hardwood floor. Her gaze followed the animal as it retreated, its unkempt coat making it look like some sort of hairy arctic beast.

Then she got an idea!
An awful idea!
THE WITCH
GOT A WONDERFUL, AWFUL IDEA!

Willow’s eyes widened. The rest of the world shifted into slow motion as a moment of clarity sank in. It was the perfect idea. Willow knew exactly what needed to be done.

She spent the remainder of the evening and most of the night gathering all of the necessary ingredients and preparing for the spells. It took her the better part of an hour to locate a tiny vial of distilled olibanum resin—it had been years since she’d dabbled with combining magic and aromatherapy—but she finally discovered the oil among a number of unlabeled bottles on a dusty shelf in the basement. Unfortunately, it was the wrong season for cicely blooms; all she had were a half dozen of the feathered leaves pressed between the pages of an herbology index. Ultimately, she was forced to tweak the spell to make use of anise, instead. The last ingredient, chamomile, Willow had in abundance; she had experimented with the flower to varying degrees of success after the nightmarish hospital stay had rendered her unable to find peaceful sleep. The modifications to the spell took longer than anticipated, and when the last note was written Willow was so tired she didn’t even bother to climb the stairs to her bedroom. Instead, she curled up on the settee in the study, uncaring that the cushion she used as a pillow was covered in dog hair.

[center]~*~[/center]

The early afternoon sun began creeping in through the windows on the western side of the house, warming Willow’s skin. During her sleep, she had displaced the afghan she’d thrown over herself as a blanket; it now lay in a rumpled pile on the study floor. Scooby trotted into the room, the tags on his collar jingling merrily. His wet nose sought out the sleeping girl’s face, and pressed up against the corner of her mouth with unerring precision. Willow snorted a breath full of dog, her face twisting in disapproval, then she flopped onto her other side, presenting her back to the animal. Scooby sat and waited patiently, but when no food appeared after a minute, he wandered off to check the bowl in the kitchen again. In her semi-lucid state, Willow’s mind registered the scent of the dog and the clinking collar. Her dreamscape swirled…

“But why do we have to take him back into town?” Willow asked, pouting. “He’s only been here a week!” Her arms were wrapped possessively around a beige puppy, whose head seemed entirely too big for the rest of his tiny body.

“We’ve got to take him to the veterinarian,” Sheila explained. “She’ll take a look at him and make sure that he’s healthy, that he’s eating the right foods, and that he’s being looked after properly.”

“But Scooby doesn’t want to go to town! He’s fine, here. We’re taking great care of him!”

Sheila sighed. “Oh, good heavens, Willow, you’re acting like a child,” she groaned. “Come on, get changed. I’m taking Scooby to the vet, and you’re coming with me. You can’t avoid people forever, you know.”

For nearly nine years, Willow had done exactly that. After being taken out of middle school, she had never made an effort to befriend any of the other children. For years, Willow had been perfectly content spending her days with her parents or on her own. She could keep herself amused for hours playing with the chemistry set her father had bought for her thirteenth birthday, or sitting in the den with her nose planted firmly in a book.

When she passed her high school equivalency test—she scored a staggering ninety-nine percent, a shock even to her parents, who had witnessed her rapid improvement over her struggles at school—Willow insisted that she did not want to attend college. Hearing this, Sheila demanded Willow find a job and begin paying rent if she were to continue living under their roof. The lecture she gave was stern, but the meager rate she charged made Willow believe her mother was not entirely displeased with the decision.

She was awake, now. Her dream hadn’t abandoned her, yet, and she lay still, savoring the memory. This was her favorite part…

A bell above the door jangled as they entered the clinic. Willow carried Scooby in her arms; she had refused to let her mother stuff him into a carrier for the short trip into town. A young woman at the counter, maybe a year or two older than Willow, and heavy with child, glanced up at the sound, and smiled in greeting. The redhead instinctively moved behind her mother.

“Hi, Mrs. Rosenberg,” the girl said.

“Hello, Tara,” Sheila replied. “Your mother asked me to bring in Scooby today for his one week checkup.”

“Sure,” Tara nodded. “She should be available shortly, if you’d like to take a seat for a minute.”

“Thank you.” Sheila gave the waiting room chairs a cursory glance. “How are you feeling?”

Tara looked down at her extended belly, and shrugged. “Tired,” she admitted, “and sore in places I never even thought about.” She rested her hands at the small of her back and tried to straighten her posture. “For a couple of months, I thought it was getting easier, then…oof.” She gave the older woman a wry smile.

“Maybe you should be sitting down,” Sheila chuckled.

Tara shook her head. “That’s one of the places that’s sore,” she explained. Peering around Sheila, she added, “Hey, Willow. I haven’t seen you in ages.”

So it was Tara Maclay! Willow had wondered when she’d heard the name, but the plump young woman at the counter looked so different from the scrawny, timid creature she’d watched try to fly under the radar in middle school. She hadn’t known the girl well, but she had seen enough to determine that if anybody at Geisel had it nearly as rough as she did, it was Tara Maclay. The mousy outcast had been a common target of harassment for Larry, Cordelia, and their ilk. They decried her wardrobe, teased her mercilessly about the clunky lunchbox she carried to school every day—her mother packed lunches that were suited to her vegetarian diet—and ridiculed her stuttering speech.

Willow took a mental snapshot of the woman at the counter, eager to replace her decade-old image of the girl. She seemed to have been instilled with an inner confidence that had always been missing, and she radiated an aura of peace and tranquility. Her skin was clear and rosy, and her flat, pale hair had matured to a lovely golden mane. When she smiled, one corner of her mouth curled slightly higher than the other, projecting an impish glee that made Willow think she shared an inside joke with life.

Sheila had filled Willow in on the details during the trip home. Tara, the younger of the two Maclay children, had gone off to college, returning home between semesters to help her mother out at the clinic. She must have found something good at the University, because every time she came home, she was happier, more outgoing, and full of life and laughter. With more options for her diet available at the school, she’d filled out her spindly frame after several semesters. During one visit home, she’d caught the attention of a greatly matured Larry Blaisdell—the very same young man who had been so awful to her during her early school years—and he had spent the next year and a half courting the blonde. Their relationship had been short-lived; both had quickly learned that their mutual desire for a “normal” relationship wasn’t nearly strong enough to sustain a life together, so they had eventually settled into a comfortable friendship. Of course, the pregnancy had complicated things…

The frantic clacking of claws on the kitchen floor finally forced Willow to open her eyes. She sat up gingerly, her aching joints protesting the cramped sleeping position to which they had been subjected all night. Squinting at the window, Willow was shocked by the late hour; it was well past noon, and she still had a number of preparations to complete before nightfall. Grumbling, she dragged herself from the study. After a quick meal for both herself and Scooby, she ran through her agenda. There were the two glamours, but those were merely afterthoughts. She had to triple-check the formula for the Somniculosus, and figure out how to boost the patterns for the Promoveo without endangering herself or Scooby. She needed to refamiliarize herself with the Introvallum. And finally, trickiest of all, she had to test the Denuo Temporis. Cracking her knuckles, Willow gave herself a curt, decisive nod and tackled the hardest obstacle first.

[center]~*~[/center]

Then the Witch said, “Giddap!”
And the sleigh started down
Toward the homes where the Whos
Lay a-snooze in their town.

All their windows were dark. Quiet snow filled the air.
All the Whos were all dreaming sweet dreams without care
When she came to the first little house on the square.

Willow caught her own reflection in one of the house’s front windows, and it momentarily stalled her in her tracks. Bundled up against the elements in a puffy red coat, she looked all the part of Father Christmas. The simple glamour she had cast minutes before leaving her house gave her the extra padding around the middle, the bushy white beard, and the pink cheeks, but it was the hat—deftly lifted from a snowman in the yard—that sold the look. She turned slightly to examine her rotund profile, and her reflection assumed a sinister smirk.

From the deep pockets of her coat, she withdrew a cheesecloth sachet and a lighter. Chanting the words of the Somniculosus, she set the small bag alight, and heaved it onto the roof of the house. As the packet smoldered, eerie wisps of milky white smoke collected in the air above it. Wavy tendrils spiraled out from the cloud, and curled their way down the chimney. Willow counted to twenty in her head while keeping a wary eye on the road. She removed one of her mittens and pressed her hand to the cold vinyl siding of the house, then disappeared.

Teleportation through solid surfaces always disoriented her. It was only a few feet of space, but her body felt like it had just run a hundred laps around the maypole. She immediately sat down on the living room floor, and let her sense of balance reassert itself. There was a Christmas tree in the room, festooned with gaudy ornaments and lights. Piles of gift-wrapped presents littered the floor underneath the lowest branches. Willow imagined how the room would look devoid of its seasonal trappings, and a smile cracked her face.

She checked the bedrooms first. An older couple lay utterly motionless in a king-sized bed. Panic seized Willow. Had she made the spell too potent? Had the substitution of anise caused unintended side effects? She stood paralyzed until a rolling snore gurgled from the throat of the woman, and Willow’s breath rushed from her lungs in relief. Quickly, she moved from room to room, gathering up the stockings, which were stuffed from hem to toe with goodies, and any decorations she could find. After a quarter of an hour, she’d created a heaping pile of holiday debris in the center of the living room floor.

Willow turned the lock to open the front door, and was greeted by a frosty blast of December air. She propped the door open and stepped outside, staring across the yard. Parked on the lawn next to the hatless snowman was her ride, a massive cutter sleigh with pinstriped fiberglass, wooden runners, and black and red, button-tufted upholstery. Tethered to the front of the sleigh was Scooby. He sat back on his rear haunches in the snow, digging with a hoofed foot at the patch of fur behind his right antler. When he picked up Santa’s scent, he leapt to his feet, panting happily, with his tongue lolling over his lower jaw. Willow sighed. Scooby made a terrible reindeer.

His glamour had turned out more complicated than her own had been, mostly because Willow knew next to nothing about the anatomy of a reindeer. Then, in her haste, she had mistranslated one of the spell’s phrases, and ended up with first an iguana, then later an armadillo. By nightfall, however, Scooby was resplendent in his new form, though admittedly lacking in function.

Using the same magic that propelled the sleigh, Willow carefully levitated the pile of Christmas cheer and funneled it outside, thinning it in midair to better navigate the narrow doorway. One by one, the items hovered across the snowy yard and lowered to the spacious floor of the sleigh. At first, Scooby chased the parcels across the span, but after the first two dozen, he gave up and flopped down on the ground, exhausted. Willow wiped a bead of sweat from her forehead and admired her handiwork. “Not bad at all,” she admitted to herself, then took a deep breath. “Now for the hard part.”

She stepped back into the welcoming warmth of the house, and moved to the center of the now barren living room. The floor was littered with pine needles, but otherwise there was no indication that the room had ever been festively decorated. Willow sat down on the varnished wood floor, concentrating on the top panel of a mahogany grandfather clock, which was three minutes away from sounding four o’clock in the morning. She began murmuring the Denuo Temporis, allowing her body to relax. Reality pulled at her mind from sixty-three different angles, and it was all Willow could do to keep her sanity together. She felt something snap, and a mechanism cleared.

The clock chimed three o’clock.

[center]~*~[/center]

Then
She did the same thing
To the other Whos’ houses

Leaving crumbs
Much too small
For the other Whos’ mouses!

It was three o’clock in the morning when Willow arrived at the last house in the town. Although her body felt as fresh as it had when she set out, her mind was stretched to the breaking point. She had begun to think about calling it quits forty houses ago, but the perfectionist in her wouldn’t let her stop until she’d scoured every last home. For the last (and first) time, she invoked the Somniculosus, ticking the lazy seconds from one to twenty in her head, then sent herself through the wall.

The first thing she noticed when her head stopped spinning was that the house smelled like vanilla and lavender. Willow hadn’t smelled the particular combination in years—not since she was a child, when her mother had let her pick out scented candles, and she’d chosen the exact pairing for her bedroom. When the family had adopted Scooby, though, all efforts to keep a nicely smelling house had been tossed out the window: nothing mixed with dog.

Willow had developed an efficient system for clearing out the houses. She first moved the tree and its surrounding presents to the center of the room, then made a quick run through the house, noting where all the larger items were located; sorting the pile by size inside the house made loading up the sleigh much easier. By now, she was convinced that the incense would keep the residents asleep, so Willow tromped through the rooms without fear.

Countless houses ago, she had discovered that she liked watching the victims sleep. At first, the realization had made her uncomfortable; she had wondered if she was unearthing some kind of creepy voyeuristic streak. It had bothered her for many more houses, until she finally figured out what the feeling was. She enjoyed the company. Willow had always been terrified of people, because she knew they’d bark and bite at her. They’d tease her, taunt her, and cast her as a stepping stool, which they would use to boost themselves higher than the rest of the crowd. But in slumber, they couldn’t do any of these things. Willow could be around people without anxiety, without doubt, and it felt wonderful.

Her entire body flooded with doubt, however, when she entered the first bedroom in the hallway. Although she’d replayed the memory countless times, Willow hadn’t actually seen Tara Maclay in over nine years. No, eight, Willow amended—Tara and Mrs. Maclay had been two of only a handful of people who had attended the funeral for Willow’s parents, but she had been so broken in spirit that she’d only barely noticed. But seeing her lying in bed, in the flesh, sent Willow’s mind reeling.

She had once considered Tara skittish and scrawny. Later still, she had found her lovely. Now, Willow updated the status to downright beautiful. She hovered just inside the doorway, hesitant to approach the bed despite knowing that the woman would not wake. A lump formed in her throat, and she choked it down. Conflicting thoughts dueled in her head. She didn’t know Tara—she couldn’t know her, for they had only crossed paths a handful of times—but it didn’t feel right to rip her Christmas, and whatever senseless happiness it might bring, away from her. But then, she couldn’t compromise her plan, could she? The thought of making an exception in just one case sent uncomfortable ripples through the intricately woven fabric of Willow’s moral justification.

Willow staggered out of the bedroom, retreating to the relative safety of the living room. She sat heavily on a plush sofa and looked over the unimpressive pile of presents. She wondered which gifts were for Tara, and what they contained. Did she get a lot of animal-themed presents? Did she actually own a pet? Willow hadn’t seen one, the entire time she’d been in the house.

“Mommy?”

Her stomach lurched at the quiet voice. Willow’s head swiveled slowly, and her gaze fell upon a small child, a girl of no more than eight or nine years. How was it possible? The Somniculosus should have kept her soundly asleep. The girl’s tiny mouth fell open in a round expression of surprise.

“Are—are you Santa?” she asked.

The Witch had been caught by this tiny Who daughter
Who’d got out of bed for a cup of cold water.

But, you know, that old Witch was so smart and so slick
She thought up a lie, and she thought it up quick!

It took Willow a moment to find her voice, and once her mouth opened, it seemed to be on autopilot. “N-no. I’m not Santa,” she answered. “I’m a—a substitute.”

“Oh. Like a teacher, for when other teachers are sick?” The girl considered this for a moment, and her face fell. “Is Santa sick?”

Willow shook her head. “He’s not sick. He’s—he’s really tired. He couldn’t get out of bed.”

The girl shuffled her feet nervously. “I thought maybe…that Santa wasn’t really…real.” She looked up with wide, plaintive eyes. “Do you think he knows? Would he be mad?”

“Oh, I don’t think Santa’s mad at all. It’s not a very Santa-like way to be, right? But you know what Santa does know? He knows when you are sleeping, and he knows when you’re awake—so why don’t you get back into bed, so you can have nice dreams, and when you wake up, it will be Christmas, and then you can open all of these presents!”

The girl seemed restless. “Do you want some cookies?” she asked, dodging the question. She pointed to a plate that had been set out, which contained a pair of gingerbread men and a few carrot sticks.

Willow took an Oreo cookie and grinned, despite her best attempts to distance herself from her task. The little girl reminded her too much of how she herself had been as a child. “I’ll tell you what,” she offered. “I need to get a lot of work done, tonight, do I’ll make a deal with you. You get three questions, but after that, you’ve got to promise to go straight to bed. Okay?” It was a trick Willow’s father had often employed to get her to go to sleep on nights when she was being particularly rambunctious.

The girl thought carefully, and asked, “Did you bring the reindeer? Can I see them? Oh, but that’s only one question.”

“I only needed to bring one reindeer, and yes, you can see him, but you can only look through the window, okay? He’s not good with strangers,” Willow cautioned. She motioned toward the window, and Tara’s daughter pressed her face to the pane, cupping her hands above her eyes to block out any reflections.

“Whoa,” she said, awe clearly evident in her voice. “Which one is it? Dasher? Dancer?” She paused. “That wasn’t a question, either,” she insisted.

“Panter,” Willow said. At the girl’s dubious look, she clarified, “He’s not one of the famous ones. So what’s your second question?”

“Um…are you a boy or a girl? You look like a boy, but sound like a girl.”

“I’m, um—I’m a girl. The Santa beard and everything is a disguise. For being a substitute, you know?”

The girl nodded, satisfied. “It’s really good,” she declared.

“So what’s your last question?”

Tara’s daughter concentrated very hard. Finally, she asked, “Am I going to get another mommy?”

Little bits of Oreo were snorted down Willow’s throat in a sharp intake of breath. She coughed fitfully to clear the passage, and felt her eyes water. “Another mother?” she wheezed. “What’s wrong with—is something the matter with Tara? Is your mommy sick?” Willow’s heart skipped erratically in her chest.

The girl shuffled her feet. “Nuh uh. That’s what Mommy keeps asking for every year; she says she wants us to get another mommy, so we won’t be just us two all the time.”

Willow blinked.

“Um, I…I don’t know if you’ll get that, this year. Maybe if you’ve both been really good, and—and you wrote to Santa…and…uh, I guess if he can find the right person, then—then maybe. But that’s three questions, and you made a promise, so…good girls keep their promises, right?”

“Okay,” the girl pouted. “I’m going, I’m going.” She walked backward, slowly, out of the room, never taking her eyes off of the stand-in Santa. At some point in the next five minutes, Willow’s heart resumed beating.

[center]~*~[/center]

It was quarter past two…
All the Whos, still a-bed
All the Whos, still a-snooze
When she packed up her sled,
Packed it up with the presents! The ribbons! The wrappings!
The tags! And the tinsel! The trimmings! The trappings!

So technically, she was light one house’s loot. And though her heart was no longer entirely backing the plan, her brain quelled any chance of mutiny by a series of sternly delivered mandates: Don’t go soft. Stick to the plan. They deserve it. But did they really—all of them? Don’t go soft. Stick to the plan.

Over the course of the night, she’d made countless trips to the high school, dropping off load after load of the Whoville’s precious Christmas cargo onto the fifty-yard line. Now, she rubbed her hands together for the finale. She could have done it the easy way—a simple Ignus spell would have torched the entire pile—but that lacked the intimate, personal touch she was hoping would ease her mind from its lifetime of bitterness. Willow removed from the sleigh the last of its contents: two plastic jugs of lighter fluid and a fireplace lighter. Tonight, Willow was having her own bonfire.

[center]~*~[/center]

Two hours later, she sat on the lowest step of the bleachers, idly clicking the lighter on and off, and glaring across the field at the massive heap of unlit trees, presents, and decorations. Nearby, Scooby paced; he wasn’t used to leashes, and the restriction of range imposed by his tether was making him restless. Willow could hear the constant jangling of his collar, which had remained present despite the glamour. She felt despondent, weary, and more than anything confused. Wasn’t this the plan all along? To wrench Christmas from the grasping hands of the town that had torn her down, and set it ablaze for her own night of revelry? She held the flickering flame between her eyes and the pile, for the hundredth time imagining Mt. Christmas going up in a billowing inferno. The image did little to satisfy her. Ruefully, Willow realized that the pieces that were missing from her heart wouldn’t ever be sated by vengeance.

Movement from the far side of the field caught her attention. She stood and peered nervously across the expanse. Somebody was getting out of a car. Oh—a police car. Willow had watched cop shows, where an officer would pull over a vehicle for some routine traffic violation, and the perpetrator would floor it, taking off down the highway. She had always commented on the inanity of such a decision; and yet now, before her ultra-sharp brain had even had a chance to chime in, she found herself aboard the cutter, fumbling through the opening phrases of the Promoveo. The sleigh lurched slowly through the snow at first, but as it gained speed it rose to the surface, and soon it was gliding effortlessly toward the open gate at the north end of the field. A glance over her shoulder revealed the police officer climbing back into his car, and the lights atop the vehicle blinked to life.

She spurred the sleigh forward, propelling it ever faster with her fading reserves of energy. She had assumed Scooby would hop aboard, but the reindeer, antsy from hours of interminable downtime, raced ahead of the sleigh, looking for all the world like he was capable of towing such an impressive vehicle. Had Willow possessed the stamina to look, she might have enjoyed the vision of the creature in full glory; instead, she kept her head down, exerting only enough effort to hang on, and poured her already taxed will into the magic.

Willow neither saw nor heard the truck that plowed into the sleigh. The collision only registered an instant before her body, flung wildly from the seat, impacted the cushioning softness of the snow. It still jarred her, pushing the air from her lungs and twisting one ankle well past its normal range of motion. Then, in a rush, the last few seconds caught up to her—a blaring horn, sliding tires, a high-pitched yelp, the sickening snap of collapsing fiberglass, the groaning compression of snow.

The world bobbed lazily back to the surface, and Willow’s eyes fell upon the crumpled form of Scooby. He was lying on his side at the edge of the road, one slender leg kicking out into the air as spasms shook his body. His breath was shallow, and he blinked rapidly, the bulk of his antlers turning his head to an unusual angle. Willow crawled to his side, shock making her numb to the pain that shot through her foot. Her arms flew over his body protectively, and her cheek rested gently against his flank, which was matted down with blood. The texture surprised Willow; she recoiled with a sharp breath and raised a hand to her cheek. Her fingers came away a glistening Christmas red. Scooby’s eyes stopped fluttering, instead fixing the drift with a glassy stare.

The witch’s insides boiled. She stood, and hobbled out into the street. The sleigh was toppled on its side; the entire front section had been caved in. She straightened her shoulders and rose to her full height, staring down the other vehicle. Inside, a single occupant was struggling with both the seatbelt and an inflated air bag. Willow’s power lashed out, sending the truck scraping ten feet straight back before overturning the vehicle in the road. She collapsed to the pavement, the jolt of pain lancing up her leg finally registering. Willow reached deep inside herself, and drew on the very last vestige of the waning mote of her magic…

When the squad car pulled up to the scene of the accident, the officers were baffled. An impressive Dodge Dakota appeared to have been overturned by, of all things, a scruffy Labrador Retriever, who lay motionless beside a child’s toboggan.

[center]~*~[/center]

The whistle of the teakettle pulled Willow’s red rimmed eyes away from the grungy window. She shuffled gingerly across the kitchen and shifted it to a different burner. Retrieving a mug from the cupboard, Willow poured the steaming water over a packet of chamomile tea. She returned to her uncomfortable perch on a kitchen stool, and sipped at the drink as the first of the sun’s rays crept over the horizon. “For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn,” Willow spat bitterly.

She hadn’t found sleep all night. Over and over in her head, Ira and Sheila Rosenberg impressed upon her the dangers of using her powers against people. Nothing good will come of it, they insisted. It will come back around, they warned. Willow knew how disappointed they would be with her, were they still alive, today. She moved about the house mechanically, attending to her usual chores, pausing for thought only when she caught herself mixing a dish of food for Scooby. When the sun arced high into the sky, her exhausted body finally gave in, and Willow tumbled unceremoniously into bed.

And she did hear a sound rising over the snow.
It started in low. Then it started to grow…

But the sound wasn’t sad!
Why, this sound sounded merry!
It couldn’t be so!
But it WAS merry! VERY!

The singing roused her from a troubled slumber. Willow’s sense of temporal passage was currently on leave, and she couldn’t locate a timepiece. She slipped out of bed, knocking a pillow to the floor in the process. Muttering under her breath, she slipped a bathrobe over her clothing—she hadn’t bothered to undress when she went to bed—and tied a loose knot, then eased down the stairs, favoring her sprained ankle. As irritating as the singing was, at least these carolers could carry a decent tone.

Now to the Lord sing praises,
All you within this place,
And with true love and sisterhood
Each other now embrace;
This holy tide of Christmas
Brings smiles to your face.
O tidings of comfort and joy,
Comfort and joy!
O tidings of comfort and joy!

Willow flung the door open in annoyance, and her hateful recriminations caught in her throat when she recognized the visitors. Tara Maclay and her daughter stood on the front step. In the child’s hands was a flickering candle; in Tara’s, a braced and bandaged retriever, whose eyes lit up when he saw the redhead.

“Scooby…” Willow breathed.

“Hi, Willow,” Tara smiled—that same mischievous, knowing smile. Seconds later, her face was being showered by kisses as she found herself in Willow’s grateful arms. “Whoa, whoa!” she squealed, trying her utmost to keep her hold on the squirming dog. “Let’s get Scooby inside, shall we?”

Willow stood aside and let the blonde carry the animal into her home. When Tara lowered him carefully to the floor, Scooby hobbled on three legs directly to the empty patch of hardwood where his bowl should have been.

“How—how did you—?” Willow couldn’t get the question out.

“I recognized the tags,” Tara explained. “It was a while ago, but…well, there aren’t many people around here who’d have the gall to name their dog Scooby,” she teased, then her voice took on a more serious tone. “His bell was rung pretty badly, and I haven’t seen many leg injuries like that, but give him some time. He might make a full recovery.” Tara felt her daughter by her side. “Willow, I’d like you to meet my daughter, Cindy; Cindy, this is Willow. We went to school together, a long time ago.”

The girl nodded. “We’ve met,” she said.

Tara grinned. “Oh, yes. Willow, you dropped your hat.” She pulled out a folded Santa hat from her coat pocket, and offered it to the redhead. “They found it on the side of the road with Scooby,” she said, adding as an afterthought, “The driver wasn’t hurt.”

Willow’s mouth wasn’t keeping up with her mind. She sputtered out sounds that could only loosely be considered words, but Tara silenced her with a shake of her head.

“You don’t have to—Willow, I understand why you did it. And I’m—I’m really glad you didn’t go through with it. Mostly I’m relieved that nobody was hurt.” She looked at Scooby, and added, “Badly.”

Willow finally found her voice. “How could you—I mean, you know about—?”

“Cindy unraveled your incense—what was it, a Somniculosus?”

“You did it wrong,” Cindy insisted. “You’re not supposed to use anise.”

Willow stared.

“She’s already better at it than I am, and she’s only nine,” Tara said proudly, ruffling her daughter’s hair. The girl beckoned her mother closer, and whispered something in her ear.

“Right,” Tara nodded, standing straight. “Willow, Cindy and I would like to invite you for Christmas dinner…if—if you don’t have other plans?”

And she…
…SHE HERSELF…!
The Witch carved the roast beast!

Although in all probability, it was more like eggplant gratin.

[center]~*~

The End[/center]

Last edited by jasmydae on Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:53 pm 
5. Willowhand

'Tis the Season DIBS!!

This was absolutely lovely, Megan. A beautiful tribute to your mom, and the perfect opener to the fic challenge. Gots ta do some Christmas shopping, but I shall be back with more details of its loveliness later.

Post subject: Re: Fic Challenge: 'Tis the Season (Updated, 1 entry)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:04 pm 
3. Flaming O

i thought that was excellent. Well done! :) I loved it

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:20 am 
3. Flaming O

Awesomeness! Thanks for this and Happy Holidays!! :)

Shiraz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:47 am 
23. Volumey Text

Great writing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:35 am 
19. Yummy Face

Great story.

Posting While Nude Improves Your Mood.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:50 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Notes: Happy holidays everyone! I've never actually done a fic challenge even though they always looked like fun. I've been working on a couple larger stories, so this was a nice break. I really hope you enjoy.

Title: Oh, Oh, Oh
Author: ophelia11
Email: mistressofangst yahoo com
Rating: Eh...PG for naughty innuendo
Disclaimer: I own nothing worthy of a litigious battle except a smashing collection of rubber duckies.

Oh, Oh, Oh

Willow stood on one side of the room motionless. Her mind raced through several attack plans, though she quickly vetoed each one. She tipped her head to one side, hoping the altered perspective would lead her to victory. A droplet of sweat formed along her hairline and threatened to trail over her forehead at any moment.

Earlier that evening her confidence was far higher, but now defeat seemed evident. Why did I insist I could handle it? Why did they believe I could handle it? Asking for help was always something Willow struggled with. Inn hindsight it now seemed silly to go off on her own. I wish Tara was here.

Several spells came to mind and were quickly dismissed. Being a powerful witch was something she was proud of, but some situations she preferred handling on her own. Finally, she rolled up her sleeves and walked closer to the desk at the other side of the dorm.

Spread out across the surface were the results of an afternoon shopping spree. Though she still enjoyed her Jewish traditions, Christmas shopping remained one of her favorite holiday pastimes. It was this enthusiasm that led to her ultimate misjudgment. While she was more than capable of surviving the mall, even in the holiday rush, gift wrapping was an entirely different battle.

Earlier that afternoon, she responded to her friends' mocking with indignance. With a 'you wait and see' attitude, she walked confidently to the bus stop, strategically planned her shopping, and managed to arrive back in the dorm just as the sun was beginning to set. On her way, Tara called to check on her and she insisted that the blonde enjoy a much earned R&R, assuring her she'd be fine. Stupid ego.

Deciding that it was best to start with a warm-up, she retrieved a rectangular box and carried it over to the bed. For weeks, Buffy walked by the same window, eyeing the same blouse, then insisted that it was just 'okay'. The redhead could barely contain her excitement at being able to buy it for her friend. Willow worked out the paper to box ratio in her head and selected a shimmery red roll. After unrolling a suitable amount, she retrieved her scissors and made a series of crooked cuts.

[center]***[/center]

An hour later, Tara was making her way up the stairs to her dorm floor. At Willow's insistence, she spent a leisurely afternoon on her own and found the time alone did her good. She smiled just thinking of Willow and the determined look she wore before exiting the Magic Box earlier. She loved the woman desperately, faults and all, and wrapping presents was definitely one of Willow's faults.

When she arrived at the door, she concentrated on the sounds coming from the other side. The silence that met her ear awakened more nervousness than if she heard cursing or crashes. Bracing herself for the unexpected, she pushed open the door and gasped when she saw the carnage. The desk chair was flipped over, paper shreds littered the floor and for no explainable reason, a sweater hung across the top of the floor lamp. Willow was nowhere to be found. Before panic could set fully set in, she noticed a pair of feet sticking out from under the bed. "Wil?" she gasped.

The voice startled her, but Willow managed to keep herself from jerking upward and banging her head. Squirming some, she inched her way back out from under the bed and rolled over to face Tara. "Hey," she said with far more cheer than she felt.

Tara cocked her head to the side and stared back in disbelief. The redhead was now barefoot, wearing dusty jeans and an old t-shirt. Her hair was matted in some places and sticking up in others. She noted several pieces of tape stuck to Willow's shirt. "Willow. What in the world happened here? What are you doing down there?"

"Well...I dropped the tape and the sneaky thing rolled under the bed. I couldn't reach it so...there ya go." She shrugged as if that simple explanation would fully satisfy Tara's curiosity and rolled over on to her knees so she could push herself up.

Blue eyes widened further as she took in the rest of Willow's appearance. One of Miss Kitty's twisty ties was now tangled in the back of Willow's hair. Her eyes scanned the rest of her girlfriend and she stifled a giggle. "Are you my present this year, sweetie?"

Under different circumstances, Willow probably would've used the question to her full advantage. However, the last stressful hour took it's toll and she responded with a confused, "Huh?"

Tara moved closer, carefully stepping across the random spots of clear floor. She reached up to caress Willow's cheek, brushing away dust and glitter in the process. Grinning, she reached around and squeezed her butt, returning with a bright purple bow in hand. "I have to say...I like..."

She felt her cheeks redden, but relaxed when she took in Tara's amused expression. "I uh...ran in to some problems."

Still smiling, "I see this. Did you have an unexpected vampire attack in here?"

"Nooooo..." She said with a hint of confusion. A quick glance around the room made her understand Tara's question. "Guess I kinda wrecked the place, huh?"

Rolling her eyes, "You goof. Why don't you go get cleaned up and I'll take care of the wrapping?"

Normally, such an offer would have excited her, but this time it left Willow feeling disappointed. "But everyone is going to laugh. I mean, what adult can't wrap a simple box? A box!"

Tara glanced toward the bed where a mis-shapen package that may have once been a box was now wrapped unevenly with corners overlapping at one end, and box peeking out beneath on the other. A surge of love filled her as she looked between the poor package and her frustrated girlfriend. She approached her and embraced her gently in her arms. "See, that is the good fortune of having me. It can be our little secret."

Green eyes twinkled in surprise. "Really?"

Chuckling, "Oh I think we can manage. Now scoot." Willow nodded and scurried out the door. Tara turned back to the disaster spread across their room. She couldn't help but laugh as she pulled out the trash can from beside the desk and began tossing away paper scraps of all sizes and colors.

[center]***[/center]

Willow felt refreshed as she pushed open the door to the room. She blinked several times, amazed at what Tara accomplished in the short time she was gone. The mess of the room was gone and she was seated on the bed, putting a final piece of tape on the package in front of her. Willow closed the door behind her and leaned against it. "You're amazing. You know that?"

Tara looked up and gave Willow a quirky smile. "Nah."

"Really. How did you manage to clean up this wreck and still getting everything wrapped in like a one hundredth of the time it took me to wrap Buffy's?"

Smirking, "I don't know that what you did to Buffy's present could be called wrapping," she teased.

"Hey, hey, hey," she protested as she walked closer to the blonde. "Didn't you used to be more docile?"

"Complaining?" Tara's voice held a deeper tone than usual, though her expression remained light.

"Definitely not." She walked to one side of the bed and scooted behind Tara, wrapping one leg around each side. Her lips grazed the back of Tara's ear and she felt the woman stiffen then relax in to her. "Have I ever told you how lucky I am?"

"Have I ever told you that's very distracting?" She leaned back against Willow and felt strong arms wrap around her waist. "I'm never gonna finish if you keep doing that."

"Hmm..." she pouted. "What's left?"

Tara leaned forward and picked up a heavy brass object off the foot of the bed. "Just this. Speaking of which...what is it?"

"It's a gold armadillo," she answered as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

"Um...okay? And it's going to?"

"Anya." Willow refrained from leaving more kisses along Tara's neck but struggled to make her hands behave.

"Sweetie, I know that Anya isn't your favorite person, but...an armadillo?" She turned back to look at Willow, curious what prompted such an odd gift.

"No...see...that's where you're wrong. A few weeks ago we were watching re-runs of Friends and it was the episode where no one could find a Santa suit. So then Ross came dressed as the holiday armadillo and..." She paused when she noticed Tara's baffled expression. "..uh...anyway...she thought it was really funny and she wondered why there weren't actually holiday armadillos and so..."

"You bought her an armadillo," Tara concluded. "That's actually sweet in a really weird, Hellmouth-y kinda way." She swung her legs over the side of the bed and stood, missing Willow's pout. "I think I have a box in the closet that would fit."

Willow leaned back and enjoyed the view of Tara bent over in the closet. When the blonde stood and turned abruptly, she knew she'd been caught. "You're beautiful."

Shaking her head, "Don't think that smooth talking covers up the fact that you were checking me out just then."

"But...you're my girl, so that makes it okay...in fact, I think it's my sacred duty." She smiled sweetly.

Tara brought the box back to the bed. "You think you can tuck in your friend?" Without waiting for a response, she turned and walked to the bookshelves and pulled out a stick of incense. It took several flicks of her lighter before she maintained a flame and heated the end of the stick. Cool gray smoke swirled upwards, filling the room with fragrance.

"Hmph." Willow grabbed the box and some tissue paper and began stuffing it in to the bottom. She carefully placed the armadillo inside and pulled the lid over to seal it. "Mmm...what's that scent?"

"Myrrh."

"What?" Willow pushed the box forward so Tara could return to her seat.

"Myrrh. You know? Frankincense and myrrh?" She maneuvered back between Willow's legs and eyed the different rolls of wrapping paper.

"Huh. How very Christmas-y of you." Once Tara was settled, she scooted closer and rested her chin on Tara's shoulder.

"So how was the mall?" Tara queried as she unrolled the paper and cut a perfectly straight line all the way across.

"Busy. All dressed in holiday style." She sighed happily, "In the air there's a feeling of Christmas."

"Children laughing, people passing?" she asked as she folded the edges together and secured them with tape.

"Yep. And smile after smile. Though on every corner you'd hear silver bells." She paused, considering her last statement. "Do you think silver bells sound different than sleigh bells or brass bells?"

"I don't know sweetie." She placed one more piece of tape and held out the finished product. "All done."

"You're the best!" Willow squeezed her and kissed her cheek. She loosened her hold when Tara leaned forward. "What are you doing now?"

"Just getting this stuff out of the way." She stood again and took the miscellaneous wrappings and presents back to the desk. When she turned around Willow was already stretched out across the bed and rolled on to her left side watching. "Have you given any thought to how you'd like to spend Christmas Eve?"

Without hesitating, "I'm thinking in the style of the Grinch?"

Tara's brow furrowed. "You want to steal all the presents in Sunnydale? I'm not sure why you had me bother to wrap any then."

Giggling, "I was more in line with a pantsless Santa." She waggled her eyebrows for emphasis.

"You're terrible." Her eyes betrayed her though, twinkling with merriment. She returned to the bed and stretched out in front of Willow so they were face to face.

"If you'd like...I could help you practice you're unwrapping?"

Tara was about to lean in for a kiss and paused. "Oh?" Ever so often, Willow caught her off guard and the last offering puzzled her. Blue eyes rose slowly to meet green ones that were looking back expectantly. Realization crept in, "Oh!" Before she could ponder any further, Willow's mouth was on her neck, licking and biting. "Ohhh...."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:54 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Awr. That was really cute. #^_^# I know what you mean about not being able to wrap presents. Well, I can wrap presents, but I can't for the life of me tuck in the sheets of a bed properly, and I figure that's in the same genre of ineptitude.

Post subject: Re: Fic Challenge: 'Tis the Season (Updated, 2 entries)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:36 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Title: Christmas Comes But Once A Year, Maybe For Good Reasons.
Author: Taralicious(Blayne)
Rating: PG-13
Summary: A bit of feckless meandering to pass the time until better stories than this come along.
Disclaimer: Joss Whedon/ME own the rights to all BTVS characters referenced here. No infringement is intended as this is merely a piece of harmless fun except perhaps for those who read it.

The problem with moving in together, expecially during the holidays, is you learn each other's peculiar holiday traditions associated with their childhood, which have carried over into adulthood.

Things about the other person filed away in a musty storage closet in a disused bedroom at the back of one's mind until December of each year when you slip into them; normally among people who have been there since the inception of the rituals or at least having grown up with them so they all excitedly join together in an unspoken acknowledgement and understanding that this is how the holidays are celebrated with no thoughts as to how they would look to an outsider.

Tara was enjoying the eight days of Hanukkah, they were on day five if she remembered correctly, learning from her flame-haired girlfriend, whose child-like giddiness burned as brightly as the candles they lit every evening, about the fundamental tenets of Judaism.

She had chuckled heartily when Willow had told her that her Rabbi, Professor Holstein, had claimed he could walk into any elementary school in the country and achieve a 100% conversion rate based solely on the argument that Judaism was eight times better than Christianity since there were eight days during Hanukkah to get presents and only one day, Christmas Day, to get presents in the Christian tradition.

Tara had endured a more fractured and divisive holiday season as a child, what with her mother as a practicing Wiccan and her father as an elder in the God-fearing Pentacostal tent revival brand of Orthodoxy.
After her mother died, Tara had gone off to U.C. Sunnydale, refusing to live under the same roof with the two Maclay men, father and son, now that the balance had tilted heavily in their favor; there being no one for Tara to run to for comfort and security when the two men quoted scripture and once had even tried to perform an exorcism on her while she slept to wrest her from the demon thrall of impurity in thought and deed they ascribed her belief in same-sex love to.

Now she not only had a partner in WIllow whom she could share the spiritual and healing power vested in the Wiccan tradition but Willow was the first person in Tara's life intent and keenly interested in the Gospel According to Tara; the curious hodge-podge of Christian traditions and made-up embellishments which Tara had placed her own unique imaginatively warped stamp on. She approached the subject of religious faith much in the same way that she had astronomy and the myriad other subjects she'd taught herself since her father had refused to send her to one of those "Pagan Palaces of Pornography" he called the public school system and that resulted in her being home-schooled.

At U.C. Sunnydale, she and Willow had been friends, then best friends, but it was only recently that they had become serious after Willow's dog Max, named after the faithful, loveable, eager to please, mutt in the animated classic "How the Grinch Stole Christmas", had been inadvertently poisoned by digging in the watebasket and eating out of the last can of Who-Hash, which had escaped the recall of dog food manufactured in China due to the excessive levels of Melamine in the feed contents.

Tara had asked Willow what she could do to console her devastated best friend and a comforting friendly embrace soon turned a longer and far more intimate one until both women revealed they wanted to be closer to the other in every way possible but neither one had wanted to broach the subject for fear of losing their friendship if one had any doubts.

Even that day had seemed several lifetimes ago as they now jointly owned a house together and had decided to have a room in their home which embraced both their religious faiths hence Willow's menorah on the mantlepiece.

Tara, however, had been mysteriously cagey about the details of her own personal traditions even going so far as to make Willow leave the house that day so Tara could organize her space without Willow's endearing but also interrupting babble-fest.

She had gone to the tree farm that morning, selected a fresh aromatic Douglas Fir, tied it to the roof of her hybrid vehicle, and it was now standing tall in their living room, its branches unfurled like tendrils of pure nature beckoning Tara to adorn them with all of her home made decorations, including her rather unique tree top centerpiece.

So wrapped up in decorating the tree, the first one she could call hers, well theirs really, that Tara was startled to feel the small yet elegantly tapered fingers that she loved so dearly, of her very own Willow Tree, spread around her waist and her head rest upon Tara's shoulder, not having heard the redhead come in.

"Baby, I don't see why I couldn't have gone with you to pick out the tree and help you decorate it," Willow's best and most pitiful pout evident in her voice. "I mean it's beautiful but it looks like all the trees I saw growing up at Xander's house every year. My parents didn't like me going over to his house to watch "Charlie Brown" and do the dance in our pajamas but they knew I would just sneak out of the house for a slice of Roast Beast so after a year or two they stopped lecturing me."

"True, this tree has the advantage over any of those since it doesn't have Xander's Uncle Rory passed out under it but I still could have helped you with the crocheted red and green Christmas roping and the clay ornaments reminiscent of every childhood art project gone horribly awry and the..." Willow paused, as her eyes had moved up the tree to come to a stunned and screeching halt at the top.

Baby?..." was all a very confused Willow could say as she nodded to the stuffed armadillo which adorned the pride of place atop the tree.

"You wanted to know my holiday traditions," laughed Tara. "Well, my father wouldn't let us have a star on our tree as he refused to believe it wasn't a pentagram, my mother being "a devil worshipper" as he called her, and he thought all of the angels were effeminate so he wouldn't allow them on the tree either."

"I had this stuffed armadillo I won at a county fair once which I spray painted gold, named him Frank N. Sense, and his voicebox made a noise like 'myrrh' when you squeezed him so I talked my dad into placing him on the tree as a representation of a trio of Germanic scholars sent to bless the Christ Child who called themselves the Three Weiss Men, bearing this golden armadillo named Frank N. Sense who said 'myrrh' when you squeezed him."

"You have to understand, Willow," said Tara, through the hysterical laughter both women had succumbed to at the sight of Tara telling this dark tale of her abusive father in such a way that made it seem comical,
"I was a very precocious child. Home schooling by a scary religious father and older brother will do that to you."

"Do your holiday tradtions also involve turning us into a pair of human Yule logs?" asked a profusely sweaty Willow. "What's the thermostat set at, anyway, a hundred?"

Responding to Willow's verbal cue, Tara pressed 'play' on the remote she had palmed and the horn section blared the unmistakable intro to one of Willow's favorite songs from the catalog of Christmas specials she had watched with Xander after school every year but, if it had ever been like Tara's version, Willow was sure she wouldn't have spent those 10 lonely years pining over Xander when there had certainly been a lot of cute girls she could have met.

"I'm Mister Green Christmas, I'm Mister Sun," lip-synched Tara, as she did a sultry and exotic strip tease to the lyrics.

"I'm Mister Heat Blister, I'm Mister Hundred and One,
They call me Heat Miser, whatever I touch," placing her palm on the zipper of WIllow's jeans, "starts to melt in my touch. I'm too much."

"You're too much, alright" yelled Willow over the horns, tears of laughter and joy streaming down her face as she wrapped her arms around her naked blue-eyed Christmas angel."

"I'm your present for day five. Happy Hanukkah, sweetie" purred Tara. "Now hurry up and light your candle 'cause I've got a fire you need to put out."

"Vixen" murmured Willow, as she embraced the first of many years to come celebrating the Twelve Days of Tara.

Last edited by taralicious on Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Fic Challenge: 'Tis the Season (Updated, 3 entries)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:17 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Holy Crap guys! I haven't gotten a chance to read them yet, but woo hoo! Three entries!

Kisses and Gay Love

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:44 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Taralicious: I love the stretches you put your story through to meet the challenge requirements. ^_^ That dog food paragraph made me laugh aloud. Well done! ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:21 am 
19. Yummy Face

Excellent and funny stories...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:23 am 
23. Volumey Text

Great fics.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:48 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 1
Feeling like "rawtheh" small beer indeed at the moment, but I shall endeavor, if I get enough time, to join in at soem point with my own fumbling efforts.

But after a couple starters like this, it'll be an effort to avoid a let-down!.

Sue: We don't talk about things like that right after, you know that, no saying those things in The Moment.
Kim: (moves the hand aside) Screw The Moment. I *love* you.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:25 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Too kind, far too kind, have been the replies to my story so far.
As with some of the out there scenes in my novel I'm writing, I do occasionally wonder if I should worry about some of the ideas my imagination generates, in this story, and then I remind myself that I'm writing to entertain me and if others find some enjoyment in the tale as well, then that's cool too.
I thank those who proposed this challenge for allowing me to occupy a corner of the Willow/Tara sandbox and I shall now defer to others far more talented than myself in this particular genre.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:45 pm 
2. Floating Rose

This challenge is awesome first of all. The holiday season can be crazy but fun. And the posts came up so quickly, all the stories were great. :applause
Jasmydae- I really really really love your take on the classic Grinch story and Cindy was just adorable… I guess being Tara’s daughter would do that to you. :tara And I am always a fan of pregnant Tara so Whoot! :party

ophelia11- OMG :rofl I could absolutely see willow in the room that looks like the remains after a hurricane! And I find it just as adorable as Tara obviously does. I was never really good at wrapping either :sh good thing Tara was around for our Wills, who was feeling frisky it seems. But who wouldn’t around Tara? ;-)

Taralicious- I love stories that explore the corners of Tara’s mind. I mean we always hear about this unique personality but to see how it came to be is always great ;-) And I died when they acknowledged the armadillo topping the tree :lol. And I really couldn't remember which clay-mation special the Heat Miser/Snow miser song was from because I really loved them all, from jack frost to santa claus is coming to town…sooooo I googled it (year without a santa claus :whistle in case anyone else forgot)

Cant wait for more :banana :eatme :read

"Goddess grant me the serenity to accept that which I cannot change,

Courage to change the things I can, And Wisdom to know the difference."

"The real discovery lies not in seeking new horizons,

but rather in finding new eyes."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:12 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

BentBrokenTheory,
Thanks for the kind words and glad to see that you recovered enough from your dying to leave such charitable feedback.
As you mentioned, I too always like to see insights into what formative events led Tara to become the Tara we all know and love.
I sort of based my interpretation of Tara upon an ex-girlfriend of mine, minus the Wiccan for a mother angle. Both my ex-girlfriends parents were Seventh Day Adventists and she and her sisters had been home-schooled thus she had led a very insular life and had many unconventional ideas about subjects the rest of us learned via the public school system.
The Brothers Miser, Heat and Snow, share a commonality of remembrance among those of us who grew up watching them as kids and those are the two songs that remain timeless long after we've forgotten the larger context of "Year Without a Santa Claus" so I didn't feel it necessary to work in the title of the actual special since when you say Heat Miser or Snow Miser, people will instantly start singing or humming the lyrics.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:30 am 
3. Flaming O

Topics: 2
Author: Darkwillow6 (Ashley)
Title: My First Christmas
Rating: R (some sexually explicit scenes)
*************************************************************************************

Willow and Tara awoke one morning to the sound of a loud crash downstairs. It was early December and quite a cold morning. Willow put on her slippers and walked cautiously to the door. She crept into the hallway, down a few stairs, and peered into the living room. There she saw Buffy standing over a rather large pine tree. After a deep sigh she looked up and noticed Willow standing at the balcony.
“Willow? What’s wrong? You look scared,” Buffy said.
“I heard a noise. I didn’t think it would be you. What are you doing up so early?”
“It’s ten o’ clock.”
“Early for you I mean.”
“Funny,” she said without laughter in her voice. “I’m just getting into the Christmas spirit,” Buffy replied.
“That sounds great. I’m going back to bed now,” Willow responded, adding a yawn.
“Don’t you want to help me set it up?” Buffy asked, disappointed.
“Maybe later. I was up kind of late last night.”
“I heard,” Buffy replied smugly, enjoying the bright shade of crimson that occupied Willow’s cheeks almost instantly. She rushed back up the stairs quickly and into her bedroom without any response.

“Is everything okay?” Tara asked when Willow settled back into bed.
“Yeah. That was just Buffy setting up a Christmas tree.”
“Really? Why is she up so early?”
“Getting into the Christmas spirit she says.”
“It’s a little early in the month for a tree isn’t it?”
“I wouldn’t know my love. I’m Jewish remember?” Willow reminded unnecessarily. “This will be my first Christmas and I am so happy to be spending it with you.” Willow snuggled up close to Tara, trying to fight off the crisp winter air that somehow seemed to creep into the room despite the closed windows and drawn curtains.
“Well if you think you’re happy now, wait until you see what Santa brought you. That’s if you’re good of course.”
“I can’t promise that, but I promise I will try.”
“Well I can’t promise that trying is good enough,” Tara replied, raising an eyebrow to emphasize her point.
“Touché,” Willow said, giving Tara a peck on the cheek. Then, she planted another soft kiss on Tara’s chin, another on her forehead, and finally a long and languid kiss on her full lips. Then, she rested her head on Tara’s shoulder and closed her eyes for a brief moment before Tara kissed her back. Willow would not be able to go back to sleep now. Tara’s lips trailed tiny kisses from her forehead all the way down the left side of her face, chin, neck, and shoulder. Willow turned to kiss her back, but Tara pulled away.
“I thought you wanted to get more sleep,” she said, lying fully on her back.
“I did,” Willow said, leaning closer. Tara pulled back further.
“Then do,” she replied, closing her eyes.
“You’re kidding right?” Willow asked, her face inches from Tara’s. “Right?” she asked again as Tara pretended to snore. Willow tickled her and Tara began laughing uncontrollably. “I’m awake now faker. Let’s go get some breakfast.”

They finally crawled out of bed a few minutes later and made their way down the stairs. The tree was already standing of its own volition and Buffy was nowhere in sight. Then they heard some rustling in the attic and a few sounds of frustration.
“Need some help Buffy?” Willow called up.
“No. I’m fine. Just looking for the decorations. I know Mom kept them up here somewhere.”
“Alright just let me know if you need anything,” Willow replied, following Tara into the kitchen where they stared at the row of cereal boxes.
“Cheerios, Kix, Cocoa Puffs, Rice Krispies, Raisin Bran, or Fruit Loops?” Tara asked.
“Fruit Loops.”
“Because they’re rainbow?” Tara asked, laughing slightly.
“No,” Willow pouted. “Because they taste good.”

When they sat down to eat, they heard Buffy climbing down the stairs of the attic. She wandered into the kitchen, full of sweat and dirt and took a seat next to her two roommates.
“What a mess it is up there. I somehow managed to find everything, but I think I ran into an armadillo at one point.”
“Well, now that Tara woke me up, I’m all yours if you need help setting up.”
“I would like it if we did it as a family. What do you guys say? We can get Xander and Anya over here to help.”
“Sounds nice. How about tonight? Me and Tara are going shopping in an hour or so.”
“Can I come?” Buffy asked excitedly.
“No. I don’t want you to see your present,” Willow replied.
“Willow. It’s a Christmas tradition. You’re supposed to let your friends see what you bought them before you wrap it all up.”
“I’m Jewish Buffy, not stupid,” Willow replied indignantly. Tara laughed to herself.
“And I was sure that would work,” Buffy replied sarcastically, getting up from her chair and walking toward the living room. “Back to work,” she said as she left.

After breakfast, Willow and Tara went upstairs to their bedroom to change. As Tara was pulling up her jeans, Willow walked up behind her and wrapped her arms around her waist. She leaned in close to Tara’s ear.
“You want an early Christmas present?” she whispered.
“Is that a rhetorical question?” Tara asked, turning in Willow’s arms to face her. Willow just smiled mischievously and leaned in for a kiss. Tara kissed her back and pushed Willow toward the bed with light force. Willow reclined backwards and Tara straddled her and pinned her arms down. “Time to unwrap,” Tara said with a look of hunger in her eyes. She had Willow’s shirt off in no time and the pants went shortly after.
“Kiss me,” Willow said, barely able to contain her desire. Tara acquiesced and rushed in to capture the redhead’s lips. Finally, Willow’s hands were free and she used them to push Tara’s hips down, effectively causing more contact and friction. Tara continued to rock back and forth on top of Willow as she pulled off her shirt and unhooked her bra. Instantly, Willow’s hands switched their focus to the newly exposed flesh. The moans that escaped Tara were increasing in volume. Willow was slightly worried that Buffy might hear, but that was not her biggest concern right now. Her hands fumbled to undo the button on Tara’s jeans that she had put on only several minutes before. In her haste, she struggled to rid Tara of this confining article. Tara stood up on the bed and slowly, almost teasingly, removed her jeans and underwear as Willow watched, her skin flushed. Once she was free of the clothing, she pulled Willow’s panties off and threw them to the floor. Then she settled between her legs. Shallow breath escaped Willow’s open mouth as Tara’s fingers and tongue worked their magic. Small beads of sweat began to pour down her face as the rhythm increased in speed. Only a few more moments passed before Willow was close to her climax. She reached her hand down to hold Tara’s head in place as her muscles clenched and an intense orgasm overcame her. Willow fell back onto the bed, breathing heavily. Then, with only a moment of delay, she flipped Tara onto her back and inserted her fingers into the soft wetness. With equal intensity, she drew her fingers in and out. When she was at the point of orgasm, Willow pushed into her as deeply as she could. Tara clenched Willow’s shoulder, digging her nails into the skin as her entire body shivered. When Tara’s fingers released her shoulder, Willow pulled out, collapsing next to Tara. For several minutes neither of them moved nor spoke.

Finally, they rolled out of bed, took a quick shower and dressed. As Tara pulled on her shirt, Willow stared in awe at her body.
“Don’t look at me like that,” Tara said. “We need to go shopping.”
“You know I can’t help it,” Willow replied. After a few kisses, they went downstairs, said goodbye to Buffy, and got in the car. For the first time, Willow shared in the joy of shopping for gifts and wrapping them and putting them under the undecorated tree. That night, they added all of the lights and ornaments with the help of Xander and Anya. The family. Just like Buffy wanted. After everything was finished, they all sat down in the living room and had a cup of hot chocolate together. They shared memories and stories and secrets. It was a wonderful family moment. Just the fact that they were all there together was one of the greatest gifts of the season.

Before anyone knew what was happening, Christmas Eve had arrived. All of the presents were already under the tree and the anticipation of the next day was almost too much to stand. Willow and Tara snuggled in close together under the sheets.
“Are you excited about your first Christmas?” Tara asked in a low, just-between-us, voice.
“Yes. Especially because I get to share it with you. I can’t wait until you see what I have in store for you. And don’t guess because I’m not going to tell you.”
“Aww. You’re no fun,” Tara replied. “Well I’m not telling you either so you may as well go to sleep. Santa doesn’t come while you’re awake,” Tara said, poking Willow’s nose.
“Okay. I love you Tara,” she said, just before closing her eyes.
“I love you too.”

The sun rose the next morning right outside their bedroom window. It turned the sky into the most beautiful color gold that anyone had ever seen. Willow was the first to see it. She had been up for almost an hour already, admiring her most precious gift. Tara. Her beautiful pale skin. Her soft, pouty lips. Her beautiful baby blue eyes that were hidden just beneath the eyelids. Willow traced her lover’s lips with her fingertip and then placed a soft kiss on them. Tara woke up at that moment.
“Merry Christmas,” Willow said.
“Merry Christmas,” Tara replied. “Let’s go downstairs. I think Buffy is already awake. When they arrived at the bottom of the stairs, they found Buffy already shaking her gifts. Willow looked out the window and saw a little bit of snow.
“It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas,” she said.
“We never get snow here. What’s going on?” Buffy commented.
“It’s for Willow’s first Christmas,” Tara replied, smiling.
“Let’s open the presents. Can we open the presents?” Xander asked, like a child.
“Yes, let’s,” Willow replied.

They all exchanged different sized boxes and bags. All at once they began tearing into the paper. They exchanged hugs and “thank you’s” as well. The whole process of opening and inspecting the carefully wrapped packages did not take nearly as much time as the shopping or the wrapping. After all of the gifts had been opened, they all sat down to a big lunch.
“You know,” Willow began. “It really doesn’t matter what you call the holiday. It could be Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanza, or any other name. This holiday is about spending time with your family and friends. It’s about showing the ones you love, how much you care about them. This is my first Christmas and I couldn’t imagine who else I would want to spend it with.” Everyone fought off their tears as she finished her impromptu speech. Tara held her close and kissed her cheek.

At the end of the night, when everyone had gone to bed, Willow and Tara were downstairs sitting by the fireplace.
“Thank you so much for making this a special day for me. I love my gift.”
“I have one last thing for you before you go to sleep tonight.”
“Another surprise?” Willow asked.
“A big surprise,” Tara said, a smirk on her face. Tara got up and began walking away. Instinctively, Willow followed, making sure to put out the fire before chasing after her lover. Once upstairs, Willow found Tara sitting on their bed in a robe with her legs crossed. The lights were down so low that Willow could barely see. As she stepped forward, Tara held out her hand, telling Willow to stop. She stood up from the bed. Willow’s heart was pounding with excitement. Tara began to untie the front of the robe. When the soft silk garment fell to the floor, so did Willow’s jaw. Standing before her was Tara in black lingerie. It was a one piece, with thigh-high black stockings on each leg. Willow gulped and thought to herself:
“This is the best first Christmas anyone could ever have.”

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:43 am 
19. Yummy Face

Really good one...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:55 am 
23. Volumey Text

Nice story.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:32 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Quote:
Willow gulped and thought to herself:
“This is the best first Christmas anyone could ever have.”

I second that :blush

Post subject: Re: Fic Challenge: 'Tis the Season (Updated, 4 entries)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:33 am 
18. Breast Gal

Topics: 4
Foomatic ~ Great challenge! I'm beavering away at a fic already. So far I've just accidentally made a dam out of logs of wood, so I may need to be less metaphorical. I've got the armadillo nailed down (not literally, no cruelty to animals involved).

Megan ~ I love the balance you struck between the weird-n-wacky elements of your tale and the real world parts of it. I was ambling through it, happily in fairy-tale mode, and then suddenly the accident, and Willow's dog, and I was all teary before I knew it. Thanks for the happy ending, then, you had me worried for a bit :blush

ophelia11 ~ That had me chuckling, imagining Willow in a life-and-death struggle with wrapping paper and tape. And the holiday armadillo does seem kind of natural when you link it to Anya. Thanks :)

Taralicious ~ I adore the Gospel According to Tara - and her song and dance routine was really sweet, I could just imagine the loud music and the goofy laughter, and the sense of manic fun in the air.

Darkwillow6 ~ Good present! I really liked the bits of Buffy crashing about early in the story too, in between the Willow/Tara scenes, going about her holiday-related business.