The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Summer Fic Challenge: The Art of the Drabble
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:22 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Topics: 10
@JustSkipIt
Quote:
Katie - There. My choice is made.

What a lovely thing to wake up to.

Dancing: Everyone seems to enjoy them. I know I like them, but primarily because it's a nice cheat for Tara to talk things out.
Nervous: I'm so glad you liked. I'm very fond of it. Even if I wasn't under the space constraints I was, I probably would have left Tara's open-ended question as it was written: she says exactly what she needs to to communicate; besides, they are out in public. In private, she would have asked a much more explicit question. The days are in fact nicely spaced; though I usually assume the start day of an episode to be the Tuesday, this part of the story is different. I set the entire timeline for the early parts of QoH based on the one date they state in the show (February 25th, which was a Friday). The current date in QoH is in fact February 26th: approximately eighty-four days before their first date. (I did look up the nearest full moon to NMR; it actually aired on/near a new moon, so it happens way after the air date.)
Intentions: My perception of engagement is colored by my life. For me, it was the transforming moment of my relationship. The decision was to commit to arranging our lives as a team, or going our separate ways (grad school). The actual wedding bit will be a celebration of that commitment, but won't be the moment that matters. So for me, it's natural that they would make the commitment that they intend to stay together for the rest of their lives, whether or not any governments will care. (Additionally, CA has decent domestic partnership laws.)

Plus, I like to think of them as being engaged as of the start of “Seeing Red.”

Also, I'm a monster.

July 3rd
Somewhere I Belong - Linkin Park

Ratings: G
Feedback: As always, both positive and negative feedback are appreciated. Seriously, I don't know what I'm doing. This feels way more like poetry than it does writing long-form. I don't know nothin' 'bout writin' poetry.

Can't Say a Word
“You have a suggestion?”

Yes, I have a suggestion: listen to Willow. Willow?

Well, whatever her name is, my suggestion is the same: listen to her.

Listen to the girl talking about spells. To the girl with a head on her shoulders. To the girl talking about Wicca as a window into magic. Listen to the incredibly gorgeous, can’t-keep-my-eyes-off captivating, please-Goddess-don’t-let-her-be-straight woman who’s looking right at me . . . .

Everyone’s looking at me and expecting me to talk, but I’ll just make a fool of myself and I can’t.

I shake my head. I have nothing to say.

Rumspringa
“It’s harmless.”

It wasn’t like she would hurt them. Nothing bad would happen.

Besides, it was the only way to be with Willow. She had to hold on to the life she’d built, a life she’d never thought possible. She’d been so preoccupied with making the most of her time with Willow that she forgot not to get used to it.

She’d gotten used to the feeling of being loved and adored. She couldn’t bear the thought of living without that feeling. Without Willow.

It was just a little lie. No one would get hurt.

She just couldn’t go back.

Hollow and Alone
For the second time that day, Willow found herself in the shower sobbing. She’d been running away from herself so hard she’d nearly killed herself. Worse, she’d nearly killed Dawn.

It was over: time to stop.

For a moment, she thought about calling Tara. About telling her she was really quitting.

But she couldn’t.

She had to solve this on her own. To stand on her own two feet. To prove she was a person above and beyond her relationship.

Willow had to wait until the wounds were healed to reach out.

Not that Tara would love who was left.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:53 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Hi, everyone!!! :bigwave

Pinky swear that I'll leave my feedback on the drabbles that I liked (and ther're many of them))) :geek

So, on with my input! :kdevil

Title: From the pit of despair to the heaven of love
Author name: Kitty Kat DKS (Kate)
Email Address: xladyt@gmail.com
Ratings: 1 – PG; 2, 3 - PG-13.
Disclaimer: Well, I decided to take up on a Season 6. The stories have hints of sexual activities but nothing more. A great feat of angst (but mainly in the first one). Romance with a fair dose of sadness.
Feedback: If you’re in the mood – I would appreciate a reply ))))
Summary: The time between 6x08 & 6x18. It’s not the happiest time for the girls – but we love them both nevertheless.
Notes: Oh, this my first try on the Will&Tara pairing. I’ve read a great number of fics with them, but didn’t feel the inspiration to write one. So, it’s like baptizing of sorts. Witches rule!!! Tara & Willow are the best)))) About the drabbles – they’re connected by the common theme of our girls’ parting as you might have figured from the common title and summary. I hope you’ll enjoy them.

I. Dionne Warwick – Heartbreaker

Baby, why did you have to do it? My love for you is spell that I’m under. This love gave me so much. And now it teaches me a lesson. What kind of a lesson? I have yet to figure out. Silly tears won’t stop.

But I am filled with hope. Our love was always strong. When friends held a great place in our lives and the Hellmouth’s dealings were never-ending – our love was its proverbial pivot. The power of it now holds me afloat. And I will never say a farewell. Though temporary we have to say a good-bye.

II. Linkin Park - Somewhere I belong

We belong with each other. Forever.

I want to erase the months we missed from the canvas of our life. Through the fault of my own I left you feeling inadequate and hollow. And I’m still not free from my addiction and mistakes – didn’t fill up the emptiness inside. Still haven’t found myself.

I’ve never imagined it would be like this - though we’re not together but making love still. Only our heavy breathing breaks the quiet of the room. The hiding from our friends – it won’t last long. With your acceptance, forgiveness and our trysts you help me heal.

III. Sara Evans - Could not ask for more

You’re here. It’s so amazing I’m afraid to close my eyes even for a second. After everything that happened, after what I put you through – you still came back to me. This night was miraculous - in more ways than one. Yes, we are meant to be – but even that doesn’t work for everyone. I dreamt that we would be together like this again. And I thank the Goddess that you’ve returned.

I struggled to overcome myself – and to come back to you. Now I couldn’t ask for more – I’m finally with you and we at last have our Forever.

_______

Have fun!!! Love our girls :kgeek

"I kind of love you." Buffy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:43 pm 

Feedback replies . . . wow. Nothing. Really? Hope you guys all had a good fourth of July, instead of showering me with praise. Or insults. Or really . . . just anything.

Hey Kate! (Awesome name, by the way) Welcome to the writing part of our little community! Kinda cool, isn't it? (Are you still doing the online translating thing? My sister is getting her MFA in translation this year.)

Anyway, very nice start. (Sorry for the brevity; must . . . post . . . before . . . midnight!)

July 4th
On Bended Knees - BoyZ II Men

Feedback: As always, both positive and negative feedback are appreciated. Seriously, I don't know what I'm doing. This feels way more like poetry than it does writing long-form. I don't know nothin' 'bout writin' poetry.
Notes: Brain kinda fried today; I'm not as pleased with these as I normally am. But a deal's a deal, so here we go. Also: I really had nothing for these titles.

Slapped out of It
It was the slap that did it.

Not the car crash. Not the blood trickling down her forehead. Not even the look of pure hatred. One simple slap.

Willow had known it was wrong, but she just couldn’t stop. She knew she needed help, but she was too proud to ask.

Until Dawn slapped her.

Willow didn’t know exactly why, but in that moment she could finally see clearly: Tara driven away, her friends mistrustful, and Dawn--the girl she’d played parent to for months--hurt and angry.

All she could do was beg for help. Forgiveness could come later.

In Dignity
Seeing Tara again hurt: it cut straight through the brave face she'd donned as armor. Watching Tara walk away was torture, but she couldn't tear her eyes away.

Stupid last shred of dignity. It was all that stood between Willow and giving in to the need to cry. The urge to fall to her knees and beg Tara to turn around. To cry out to Tara: I did it what you wanted! What more do you want from me?

But to do such a thing would be wrong. She'd done wrong by Tara enough.

Willow turned to the shop.

To Hell and Back Again
Willow lay on her bed, trying to study, but she kept looking up, expecting to find herself in a hand basket. It was silly, of course: she'd seen the world nearly plunged into hell time after time. There never was any hand basket.

All the same, the day had felt like hell on Earth. Tara hadn't even asked if they when they could meet again after Anya had interrupted their coffee meeting. Anya, of course, had then proceeded to ruin Willow's triumph over the nerds by breaking Xander's heart and somehow really pissing off Buffy.

Today, Willow decided, really sucked.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:15 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 8
Damn, step away for a day or two and now I'm backed up on drabble feedback!

Kate:

Squeezebox

Loved the first two. Could Willow be anymore adorable in Metaphor? And literal LOL for Roommate. Poor Dawn, probably exhausted and traumatized from all the sex. I can see her all bedraggled, sitting there in a blue bathrobe nursing a cup of coffee. I mean, I'm all for loud sex, but hey, have a little respect for the people that live with you!

Breaking was an unexpected interpretation of the song. How kind of Tara, to be there for Willow, even after the lethe's bramble hit the fan.

The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face

I love the moment you chose for Better. My partner and I love to reminsce about when we first met. We didn't really like each other, haha.

I love love love first kisses. The build up, the execution, the aftermath. I think one of the bravest things someone can do is initiate a first kiss. Well done.

First Date
Dancing - Tara spazzing? She's been hanging out with Willow too long. Heh. Funny to see her out of her element.

Nervous - So Willow, to overthink things. Nice break down of where they are in their relationship. I don' remember my partner and I's 'official' first date. Looking back, our first unconscious first date was seeing 'Star Wars: Episode I' then Mickey D's afterwards. I kept making her laugh and she kept spitting chunks of french fries at me. Ah, young love.

Intentions -
Quote:
Tara pulled out and opened a small box. “Forever and ever.”

Love how you squeezed that tiny bit of lyric in there. :)

Somewhere I Belong

Can't Say a Word - Again, great job of taking a tiny little moment and filling it out nicely.

Rumspringa - My guess is that this set during the demon locator spell?

Hollow and Alone - Great insight into Willow's feelings. I like the realization that first and foremost, she has to do it for herself.

angie86: Glad those crazy flakes are helping you keep up! Yay drabbles!

Waiting - Silence from Willow is pretty powerful stuff. So much can be communicated through silence. Great job.

One-way - So true. Being vulnerable can be so hard sometimes.

Ours - aw, so sweet.

Deb: Yay! So glad you came and joined the party! :)

Just Words - Ooooh, burn! I can't imagine how hard it was for Tara to say that to Willow.

Smoky Courage - Fun! Love the image of W/T here, cause it's so out there. I'm guessing Will wasn't taking a drag from a menthol, heh. I'll have to remember to watch the Wizard of Oz Pink Floyd style next time I get batch of special brownies.

BabbleDrabble - Okay. I'm just going to stop writing now, cause this? Sheer perfection. (I lie, cause I have a some drabbei to post after this, but seriously, how can you follow the ultimate Willow babble?)

Kitty Kat Kate (as opposed to Crazy Three a Day Drabble Challenge Kate): Thanks for taking the plunge and writing some drabbles! I see that you're from the Ukraine, may I ask if English is a second language? I only ask because the sentence structure of some of your drabbles is a little off. If it is a second language, then bravo for jumping in the deep end to get your feet wet! Either way, I would suggest working with a beta. It never hurts to have a second eye look over your work. :)

That being said, the last drabble is my favorite. :)

More drabbei!! I didn't quite make the required three for the last song. Sue me. These are all rated R, by the way.

Squeezebox - The Who

Mama's got a squeeze box she wears on her chest
And when Daddy comes home, he never gets no rest
'Cause she's playing all night and the music's all right
Mama's got a squeeze box, Daddy never sleeps at night

"Muff."

“Bajingo.”

“Snatch.”

“Honey pot.”

Xander fidgeted in his seat. Tara sat patiently, eyeing her friend with a cool gaze.

“Squeezebox?”

“You said that already.”

“Dammit!”

“Really? That’s all you’ve got?” Tara smiled and went for the kill. “Silk igloo. Velvet glove. Man in a canoe. See you next Thursday. Bearded Taco -”

“Alright, alright! You win!” Xander barked, raising his hands in surrender. He reached into his pocket and dropped a twenty on the counter, much to Tara’s delight.

“You didn't think you were going to win a va-jay-jay euphemism contest against a lesbian, did you Xander?” she teased.

She goes in and out and in and out and in and out and in and out

“When do you do it?”

“In the morning, or late at night.”

“I prefer nooners.”

“Really? Not worried someone’ll come home?”

“No big. I just stop and finish later. I can’t just not finish.”

“Amen. If I go too long without doing it, I get a little crazy. Secret? I prefer doing it alone.”

“Really Tara?” An indignant Willow burst into the kitchen. “You didn’t seem to mind last night, when we . . . you know,” she huffed.

Buffy nearly spit out her juice.

“Sweetie, we were talking about meditation.”

“Oh.”

Tara smirked. ”What did you think we were talking about?”

She goes, squeeze me, come on and squeeze me
Come on and tease me like you do
I'm so in love with you
Mama's got a squeeze box, Daddy never sleeps at night

Pool of jello.

That was the only way Willow could describe her current state. She clutched at the warm body next to her, amazed at how quickly it reignited her need.

You're turning into a regular horndog, Rosenberg. Is there such a thing as too much sex? she wondered. The shower, her dorm, Tara's dorm - oh, the practice room! And that was just today.

Her hands began to wander the expanse of Tara’s body.

I wonder what would happen if I . . .

There was a sharp intake of breath, then a moan.

“Took you long enough,” Tara purred.

Phenomena - Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Don't touch kid, sleep with the lights on
Touch kid, how you surprise me
Now roll kid, knock your body off

Her voice is a contradiction: harsh, yet benevolent. It makes my body tingle.

“Have you been a good girl?”

(Clink)

“Now listen: I will do what I want, when I want. Understand?”

(Clink)

I feel her straddle my body. The contact is not enough.

(Smack)

“Keep those hips on the bed! Do I have to repeat the rules again?"

I grit my teeth and shake my head.

“Good girl. Listen, and you will be rewarded.”

I hold my breath, aching for more contact, for more pressure, but I remain still.

“Now let’s have some fun.”

Birthday wishes are fucking awesome.

Something like a phenomena, baby
You're something like a phenomena
Something like a phenomena, baby
You're gonna get your body off

Her leather coat ripples gracefully through the air as her kick finds its mark and connects with the vamp’s chin. Ducking under a flimsy punch, her stake hits home.

I feel my clit twitch as she saunters towards me. There is a distinct swagger in her step, and the half cocked grin on her face - damn. Turned on is an understatement. Wet panties much?

“What’d you think?”

“Incredible.”

“Thanks for hanging back, Will. I really wanted to test out the new moves Buffy taught me. Those lessons certainly paid off, don’t you think?”

“Absolutely.” In more ways than one.

Kisses and Gay Love
"I like my buttons, curvy." - Willow, Neverland, by Easiersaid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:36 am 
8. Vixen

Topics: 3
Author: vampyregurl73 aka Heather

Rating: PG

Notes: While I can't keep up with Kate aka BeMyDeputy, or AngieB86, I thought I would just put in some here and there. Everyone taking up this challenge, it is a pleasure to be here among you all because I'm in such good company. I am a music hound, and with that comes a love of the lyrics that move me, so since these are to be our inspirations, I though I would include for this entry at least, either part or all of the lyrics from the suggested songs that inspired the drabble.

You – The Pretty Reckless

You don’t want me, no
You don’t need me
Like I want you, oh
Like I need you

And I want you in my life
And I need you in my life

You can’t see me, no
Like I see you
I can’t have you, no
Like you have me

You can’t feel me, no
Like I feel you
I can’t steal you, no
Like you stole me

~~~~~~

Should I feel more with him leaving this time?

Should I be ashamed that I don’t?

I just can’t worry about him anymore; I just don’t feel it anymore. I’ve laid the “us” that included him to rest now.

Remember to breathe – and hurry you idiot, you’ve left her waiting all this time – what must she be thinking?

God, how this must have hurt her, how can I ever make up for this? Okay, fool, you’re here. Breathe in, out – okay now knock – don’t forget to tell her you love her!

“No candles? Well I brought one – it's extra flamey.”

~~~~~~~~

New Shoes – Paolo Nutini

Hey, I put some new shoes on,
And suddenly everything is right,
I said, hey, I put some new shoes on and everybody's smiling,
It's so inviting,
Oh, short on money,
But long on time,
Slowly strolling in the sweet sunshine,
And I'm running late,
And I don't need an excuse,
'cause I'm wearing my brand new shoes.

~~~~

She said yes!

I have to hurry; I’m taking my girl to the Bronze! I want this to be perfect! Wait, “my girl”?

Well, yeah, she is “my girl”, I mean okay let’s look at this logically. I think about her all the time. I really, really want to kiss her. Her mouth, she has such a sexy mouth and her lips look so soft. I bet she even tastes as sweet as she is…Taralips…

Oh my god! I have to pick her up in ten minutes! What am I going to wear?! I wonder what she’ll wear? Mmm… Taraskin…Eeep!

~~~~~
Say (All I Need) - OneRepublic

Do you know what your fate is?
And are you trying to shake it?
You're doing your best and your best look
You're praying that you make it

Well bless my soul
You're a lonely soul
'cause you won't let go
Of anything you hold

Well all I need
Is the air I breathe
And a place to rest
My head

~~~~~

She’s my everything.

She’s so strong.

After everything she’s been through and she held me while I cried last night. We came in like zombies after leaving the tower, and sitting with Dawnie just hours after well, coming back to being Tara – this woman never ceases to amaze me.

I love watching her sleep, she’s wrapped in my arms and I’ll never let her go. She’s my home, my heart. If only we could stay here forever…well, that would be just peachy with me.

She lets me love her, what more can I do that would ever be more worthwhile?

"Dry Heat – In Progress (still)" "Penny Arcade - Completed"
My Fic Challenge entries:
"Fireworks" "Promise" "I Did What Last Night?"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:42 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Topics: 2
Day 4
Song: Our Lips Are Sealed-The Go-Go's
Author: angieb86
Rating: PG-13
Feedback: is TOTALLY appreciated. I want to get better at writing, and I'm hoping this challenge will help with that, so let me know if I'm doing okay or if I should stop immediately, LOL.
Disclaimer: Don't sue. I like boobs.

Note: Long weekend...But now it's time to catch up, so here I go!

Walk Away

I wasn’t going to let her know.

I watched her smile as the other woman came closer to her.

Then they kissed, and I felt my stomach lurch like I was on a horrible, cheap amusement park ride.

But there was no cotton candy or corn dogs to make it worth it. It felt like someone had ripped my insides out. There was my girl. . .with her lips all over someone else.

I was jealous. But she wasn’t mine to get jealous over. So I did what I could at that moment.

I sealed my lips and walked away.

Sounds Good

I turned to see her when it was too late. I just watched her red hair disappear quickly down the hallway and out the door.

I could actually feel her heart constrict. That’s what made me turn around. I could feel my Willow any time she’s near me.

I knew what she had seen, and I knew how she took it. That was my green-eyed girl. . .Always jumping to conclusions. Maybe I could talk to her later. . .After studying with my friend Hannah.

Maybe coffee. Yes. . .Coffee with my girl sounds good.

Coffee

“If you love men so much, then go love men!”

A flurry of arms and legs, and then she was gone.

They stared at each other for a moment, holding on to their coffee mugs for dear life. Anya’s presence and hasty exit had put them both in awkward positions.

A nervous laugh from Willow finally broke the ice. “She really knows how to ruin the mood, huh?”

Tara blushed and looked at Willow. “It doesn’t feel ruined to me.”

Willow smiled at her, and it put her world back in place, at peace.

“So. . .more coffee?”
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Day 5
Song: I Can See Forever In Your Eyes-Reba McEntire
Feedback: is TOTALLY appreciated. I want to get better at writing, and I'm hoping this challenge will help with that, so let me know if I'm doing okay or if I should stop immediately, LOL.

Knowing

How does this woman not know what she does to me?

Willow stared over the top of her book at the blonde who was studying on the other side of the bed. Her fingers moved swiftly and sinuously across the pages of her notebook, writing down ideas and thoughts.

The only thought in Willow’s mind was Tara. Tara’s golden hair, her beautifully sculpted cheek bones. But what excited Willow the most were her eyes.

They were bluer than the pictures of the Mediterranean they were currently studying.

Tara finally looked up and smiled at her.

How can she NOT know?

Don't Let Go

With one last moan, Tara’s body relaxed into the bed linens. After almost 48 hours of love-making, the blonde was finally starting to get tired.

“Glad we got that power nap in yesterday,” Willow said with a grin, pulling Tara’s body closer.

The blonde wrapped Willow’s arms tightly around her nude body and placed a gentle kiss on the redhead’s finger. “Yes. . .Good nap.”

“You sleepy, baby?”

Tara giggled. “A little.”

“Maybe this will help.” Tara felt arms tighten around her. Sleep claimed her almost instantly.

“Mmm. . .Don’t let go,” she whispered softly.

In Your Eyes

“Willow, can we talk?”

She nodded softly. “Sure. What’s on your mind?”

“You are.” She felt that hand grab her own. “All the time. I think about you so much, Willow. I want us to work this out. I can’t be without you anymore. I think we can be forever. . .I see forever in your eyes.”

The words struck Willow deeply. She thought about how long forever could be, and her mind traveled to that crooked grin and those bright blue eyes she loved so much.

Willow knew where her forever was.

She let that hand go. “I’m sorry, Oz.”

__________________________________________________________________________________

Day 6
Song: New Shoes-Paolo Nutini

Note: This is probably my favorite song so far, but the hardest for me to come up with ideas. So I'm gonna go say in advance that this is definitely not my best work. I don't know...feels kinda hokey. But definitely loved the song.

All Better

There was something off about the day. Willow couldn’t quite put her finger on it. But she had woken up in a weird funk. Tara had already left for classes, way before Willow had risen out of bed.

She went downstairs and emptied the last of the coffee into her favorite mug and walked to the living room. She sat on the couch and drank slowly. “What in the frilly heck is wrong with me today?”

The front door opened and in walked Tara. She went straight to her woman and kissed her soundly on the lips. Willow smiled.

“All better.”

New Shoes

Tara watched in amusement as Willow danced around the kitchen, a half-eaten pizza on the stove top and a tub of ice cream on the counter, a spoon tipped precariously on top of it. She sang loudly and off-key, her arms thrashing around in some sort of crazy dance.

Tara giggled as she approached the redhead and pulled the headphones from her ears. Willow jumped,

“Whoa there, Fred Astaire. I didn’t mean to scare you, baby.”

“It’s alright, beautiful, I was just jamming out to some Paolo Nutini. How was shopping?”

“Got some new shoes.”

Happy

Willow slowly walked around the city square, enjoying the warm sunshine on her freckled skin. She heard her name being yelled, and she turned around in time to see Dawn running across the street to catch up with her.

Willow gave the teenager a hug and a smile. “Hey, Dawnie.”

“Hi, Willow,” Dawn replied. She noticed the slow gait and peaceful smile on the redhead’s face. Dawn’ eyebrows furrowed softly as she looked at her friend. “Why are you so happy, Willow?”

Willow put her arm around Dawn. “Tara called me today. Bye bye, blues. Red is back in action!”

I'll leave feedback after dinner for everyone else. All I can say is that you guys are AWESOME WRITERS. And I'm trying my best to keep up with your talents, LOL.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:46 pm 

I'm falling asleep at the keyboard, so I'm afraid replies and feedback will have to wait until next time. At least you don't have to wait too long!

July 5th
Think Twice - Eve 6

Ratings: G? PG? Somewhere in there.
Disclaimer: I didn't write "New Moon Rising." Marti Noxon did.
Notes: I can't believe it didn't come to me before, but I just had an awesome idea for another one for this song. Seriously, how many times have I heard the phrase “my girl” today, and now it comes to me? Insane. And I call myself a fangirl. :blush Plus, it's a far less radical interpretation of “touch my girl” than “Knowledge” is. So yeah, a minor reprise is scheduled for tomorrow.

Grin and Bear
“Are you sure you don't wanna come in?”

Tara shook her head, unable to speak. She knew if she tried to talk again the tears would come. Instead, she flashed a nervous smile before hurrying to the double doors at the end of the hall.

Entirely without her permission, Tara's feet carried her down the stairs. They didn't take her out to the street, but rather to a familiar room: a room filled with washers, dryers and dashed beginnings.

Tara collapsed against the soda machine, gasping for air.

I've lost her.

She didn't bother to tell him my name.

Sacrifice
The pieces suddenly fell into place, but they painted an ugly picture. It couldn't be true.

I gave up everything for her. I got better for her.

Rage and despair battled for supremacy as the look on the blonde's face confirmed the worst.

It couldn't be. Not someone else. Not after going to such lengths to be better. To be the sort of person she needed, she deserved. It was all in vain. All too late. It physically hurt.

Rage began to win. It was time for fighting.

But if it came to that, she would never forgive.

“Run.”

Knowledge
Willow bolted from the library in a beeline for Stevenson. She had to get to Buffy: Buffy could rescue Oz. They had to rescue Oz.

But as she ran, all she could think of was Tara. She knew from experience what it was to be near the sharp end of Oz's teeth. The thought of Tara facing that terror made Willow run harder.

Tara said she was okay, but that was a miracle. She could have been bitten. She could have been maimed. She could have been killed.

Willow loved her too much for that.

That's when Willow knew.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:59 pm 

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, today was busy. Running very late. Must postpone everything not actually drabble.

Heading: uh, crap. Normal heading stuff. I didn't write a single episode of Buffy, so none of the quoted lines are mine. These are PG-ish, I think. These titles suck; I may swap them later.

At Her Worst
Tara couldn't believe it. There she was, standing, no, dancing at the Bronze. With Willow. On her birthday.

Her twentieth birthday.

Not only was her sword of Damocles some kind of twisted fiction (a fact she hadn't really had time to understand completely), but Willow still loved her. Willow knew about the deception and the spell. And yet, somehow Willow still loved her.

In fact, she loved Tara more.

Tara had always known Willow was remarkable, that Willow had an amazing capacity to love, whether in the face of lycanthropy or crazy slayer issues.

How did she do it?

“Magic.”

Stuff
Where “stuff” obviously includes the kissing and the touching and the you looking at me in that way that makes my heart go all poundy and the part where I finally feel alive again for the first time since Oz left and it feels really kinda weird to think his name when I'm standing here have kissing and touching and heart poundy thoughts about you and it would really suck if Adam kills us all before I can sort that out or at least get to do the second base thing so we should make with the spell.

Back to Normal
It was strange, really. Anya regularly annoyed the living daylights out of Willow.

Well, that wasn't true. Not anymore. Since their troll fiasco truce, their verbal sparring had become friendly banter instead of actual fighting. Mostly.

Even since then, Willow never thought of Anya as someone she could point to and say, “Yes! What she said. That's what I mean.”

So it was utterly surreal for her to look at Tara and feel exactly that. To wish she could be saying Anya's words to the woman she loved.

“Like a little stray.”

There. That was more like it.

And my clock says 11:59.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:50 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Hey, Kate!

Okay, you're scaring me with the drabble challenge! (Actually, I love it!)

Yes, you get Willow - love the babble and see it fitting seamlessly into the episode and Tara's birthday dance . . perfect!

Thanks! :pinky :party :dumbo

Ariel
How I Met Your Mother

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:21 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Gah. Behind again! C'mon people, I can't be the only one reading these!

Heather:

You - nice lead up to the extra flamey moment
New Shoes - yay Willow Spaz!
Say (All I Need) - you picked a great moment for this drabble. Love your Tara, always putting others ahead of her.

Angieb86:

Walk Away - I was almost going to cry FAQ foul, until I realized all your drabbles were interconnected. Heh. Just the mod in me. Anyways, I loved this line:
Quote:
Then they kissed, and I felt my stomach lurch like I was on a horrible, cheap amusement park ride.

Sounds Good - Isn't it amazing how finely tuned you can be to the person you love?
Coffee - Heh. That's one of my favorite Anya moments.

Forever in your eyes - My fav here is 'In Your Eyes.' Nice bait and switch!

New Shoes - Pretty catchy song, eh? Love me some Paola Nutini. I like 'All Better' . . . I feel weird on mornings when I don't kiss my partner good bye , so I get the sentiment.

Kate:

New Moon Rising is such an important episode from this fandom, and I love the little moments you filled in. I particularly enjoyed 'Sacrifice,' how you took it from Oz's perspective. My next fav is Stuff. I could probably read Willow babble for days and be highly entertained.

I'm glad you're keeping up with your end of the bargain, I really look forward to your set of drabbles at the end of the day.

Unfortunately I come empty-handed . . . when time permits I'll churn out a few more.

Kisses and Gay Love

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:58 pm 

Again with the late. Stupid incipient wedding messing with my plans.

Here we go. No titles, no heading no nothing. (Song: More than Words)

ETA: Why yes, I am fucking fond of the word "Anathama." Shut up.

Tara knew right away what had happened. It didn't help matters. It just made them worse.

So it took no time at all to push Willow off of her. No choosing, no deciding. Because there wasn’t any need. Tara didn't know how she knew. She just did.

In that instant, Willow had gone from stranger to anathema.

As Tara stood on her own two feet, she could only stare. Willow, so often made claustrophobic without words, didn't even try to explain. There was nothing to say.

Silence returned, marking not only the start of their relationship, but also the end.

A relationship, Tara knew, was founded on more than love. More than attraction. Even more than an embarrassment of sex.

A relationship needed trust.

It didn't matter, really, if Willow loved her. Willow had certainly been acting like someone in love.

Until now.

Tara had always known Oz would come back. She'd pushed it aside time and time again, afraid to contemplate the notion. But even when his return entered her nightmares, Tara had never imagined this.

Didn't she at least deserve a goodbye before Willow jumped back into bed with him? Hadn't she earned that?

There was a knock.

As Willow looked at Buffy, she felt sick.

How many times had they exchanged sisterly “I love you”s? How many times had Buffy reassured her that she was happy for her? Happy that she'd found someone new to love?

But now the truth was coming out. Buffy was freaked.

Not only was she freaked, she was acting like sleeping with Tara somehow sapped her basic capacity to operate a simple computer.

Buffy kept talking, more of her slayer martyrdom crap, but Willow didn't pay much attention.

She was supposed to be supportive. This wasn't how you treated a friend.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:19 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
I’m days behind on feedback but the wife is at a massage and I’ve got both kids in bed trying to fall asleep so let’s see what I can do to remedy the situation. I’m finding it quite interesting that most of the drabbles are all in cannon. I don’t know, maybe 80%? (I don’t want to calculate but what do you want to bet that someone coughKatiecough will now do it?) I’m speculating that with just 100 words to tell the story we all feel like we want the shared background rather than trying to lay out a scenario.

Katie -
Can't Say a Word – Damn those blessed wannabes. But Tara was just so darn cute there. I love the entire analysis on the commentary for that episode about blah blah blah vs. Tara’s power which is totally non-blah blah blah based.
Quote:
I shake my head. I have nothing to say.
I disagree. She has plenty to say but nothing she is going to say.
Rumspringa – Bad choice, Tara. I’m sure it’s so hard for her there. And that feeling of being loved is just so powerful.
Hollow and Alone
Quote:
Not that Tara would love who was left.
Oh. That sucks. That hurts. Ouch. Poor Willow.

Kitty Kat DKS – First off welcome to the board and the challenge.
From the pit of despair to the heaven of love - I. Dionne Warwick – Heartbreaker – Oh. That’s quite beautiful and very sad.
Linkin Park -
Quote:
I’ve never imagined it would be like this - though we’re not together but making love still. Only our heavy breathing breaks the quiet of the room. The hiding from our friends – it won’t last long. With your acceptance, forgiveness and our trysts you help me heal.
Very powerful and well said. Romantic but sad as well.
III. Sara Evans - Could not ask for more – Ahhh. So beautiful and romantic and happy.

Katie -
Quote:
Feedback replies . . . wow. Nothing. Really? Hope you guys all had a good fourth of July, instead of showering me with praise. Or insults. Or really . . . just anything.
… but I’m here now…
Slapped out of It – I love that the slap did it and at the same time it seems like with addicts they realize what they are doing and then go back to it anyway, which is not to say that I like the “magic as drug” metaphor in S6. But I like the first line. Very powerful and sudden. It is almost a slap itself. I wonder if you could end the sentence with a sharper sound? A p? Some way to make it read out loud even more so as a slap.
In Dignity – Nice last line on this one. We get that Willow is just broken and weak and … lost. Nicely done.
To Hell and Back Again – Ok. This is one that I feel like really benefits from our knowing the show so well. I mean, if I hadn’t seen Entrophy 39 times or whatever, I would have no frame of reference for either Willow laying on her bed or Anya interrupting. It’s like when you’re watching a show or movie with someone who has never seen it before and they go “she seems mad” and you mutter “just wait 5 minutes…” Like I’m muttering… “wait five minutes” to Willow.

Foo -
Squeezebox - The Who – Tee hee. Love it! This is the type of drabble that drabbles are made for.
#2 – I thought they were talking about exercising but I guess meditating is sort of the same. Exercising your brain and soul. Funny.
#3 – OMG. This one seems like it must be more than 100 words. But really I think it’s just that
Quote:
I wonder what would happen if I . . .

There was a sharp intake of breath, then a moan.

“Took you long enough,” Tara purred.
Really says everything. So well done.
#4 – Phenomena – Yeah. I think we all know you had me at clink.
#5 – Tee hee. I love the image of Tara as tough ass kicking vampire fighter and I think Willow does as well.

Her leather coat ripples gracefully through the air as her kick finds its mark and connects with the vamp’s chin. Ducking under a flimsy punch, her stake hits home.

Heather
#1 – Oh I love it. You set it so well in NMR but you actually give a few seconds to the time between when she gets out of Oz’s van and when she gets to the door. Lovely.
#2 – New Shoes – Wonderful Willow babble about a bronze date. Nice.
#3 – Say –
Quote:
She lets me love her, what more can I do that would ever be more worthwhile?
Can I hear a whole chorus of “awwws”? So wonderful.

angieb86 -
Walk Away – Wow, Willow. Nice interpretation of lips all over … I know it hurts but … silly a bit. Nice last line.
Sounds Good – Yes. The fix or the to-be-fixed for the first one.
Coffee
Quote:
“If you love men so much, then go love men!”

A flurry of arms and legs, and then she was gone.
There are a lot of really great scenes in BtVS but this is one of my favorites. The way they put together all the clips of Anya speaking to everyone and no one will curse Xander and then the thing with Willow and Tara which is just so awesome in addition to giving us the “more into the hot girl-on-girl action…” Tee hee!
Knowing – Awww. Again I say so cute and powerful. Very well done.
Don't Let Go – Oh. This is so beautiful. I thought that they were going to start up again but I think I like this much better. How wonderful to be able to sleep with someone. Safely.
In Your Eyes – Oh nice. An AU. A nice wonderful AU. I love it.
All Better – Sweet.
New Shoes – Very cute.
Happy – Oh yeah. There’s Willow!

Katie
Grin and Bear – No! That’s horrible and painful. Poor Tara.
Sacrifice – I like this one so much. It makes me go poor Oz. That moment when he realizes just how much he has lost Willow is just painful to watch. Again I say, poor Oz.
Knowledge – I love this drabble. The idea that what makes Willow realize how much she loves Tara is when she is worried Oz might have hurt her is just wonderful.
At Her Worst -
Quote:
Tara couldn't believe it. There she was, standing, no, dancing at the Bronze. With Willow. On her birthday.
… In the two ugliest dresses skirts/tops ever seen on TV.
Sweet.
Stuff – Tee hee.
Back to Normal – Ok. Would it be terrible to say I don’t get this one? Am I just forgetting something? Some episode we never rewatch? I have no idea. Sorry.
Quote:
And my clock says 11:59.
Well done.
Quote:
So it took no time at all to push Willow off of her. No choosing, no deciding. Because there wasn’t any need. Tara didn't know how she knew. She just did.
Go, Tara! Good choice there. Because Willow was stupid and you could all have been killed. Stupid and reckless.
Quote:
Silence returned, marking not only the start of their relationship, but also the end.
Nice parallel.
#2 – Well done. We have the pain of Tara inside her head and that what I have to assume is the Extra Flamey knock. Nice.
#3 – Ouch. Buffy having a stupid hard time accepting that Willow’s in love with a woman. Ouch again.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:14 am 

Hey all,
So, I'm at this wedding. Well, I'm out of town for a wedding. And have had a long day of traveling, hanging out, and otherwise not actually writing.

So I dont have any drabble for you.

But! I made a promise, and I broke it. In fact, i may not be able to post until Tuesday. Clearly, punishment is the answer.

So, you guys choose: for every day I miss I will either write an extra Drabble for the missed day, for a total of four for that day, or I will do drabble based on new songs to be negotiated.

Kate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:08 pm 
3. Flaming O

Hey all! I've been reading the drabbles as they've been coming along, and all of them are excellent!
I've got a few to share... enjoy :]

Author: brave-little-toaster

Inspired by: Chicken Fried, Zach Brown Band

Rating: G, possibly PG

Disclaimer: I do not own the Buffyverse, I'm just putting his characters in slightly AU situations.

Note: These drabbles all take place in the same universe, but are not in cannon with the Buffyverse.

Sunrise

Willow knew it was early, especially by their standards, as she gently shook Tara's arm.

Her lover woke up with a jump, shooting a glare in the red-head's direction.

She spoke quickly, knowing that morning Tara was not a happy Tara. "Sorry, I know you wanted to sleep. I just thought you might like to share the sunrise with me." As she said this, Willow gestured to the small plane window, and to the clearly imminent sunrise.

Tara's expression softened, and she took the red-head's hand in hers.

"I'd love to."

And in those colorful minutes, their world was perfect.

Blue Jeans

It had been a long day for both women. Willow's business meeting had not gone particularly well, and Tara had gotten stood up by the contact she had expected to meet.

Now, they were back in their hotel room getting dressed for dinner, but their sour moods didn't create a nice atmosphere.

Tara glanced over her shoulder, and noticed her girlfriend slipping into a pair of skinny jeans that hugged her hips and legs in all the right places.

And old Levi's advertising campaign popped into Tara's head; Nothing makes a girl feel better than a good pair of jeans.

Fireworks

The sun had finally set, and Tara held Willow. They counted down from 10, with the rest of the crowd. As soon as they finished, the first of the lights flew into the air and popped with a loud bang.

Life certainly hadn’t been easy for them in the last couple months, with both of them getting involved in their developing careers, and it had put their relationship to the test more than once.

Right now, both women were happy together underneath the colorful lights. They kissed, and they both saw more fireworks than just the ones in the sky.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:51 pm 

I return!

The bachelor party was pretty dull, the wedding was nice, seeing old friends and driving down Highway 1 were both awesome. I highly recommend the drive, particularly the part through Big Sur. Fucking gorgeous.

I haven't had any votes yet on the extra drabbles versus extra songs front. Other suggestions for punishments are also encouraged. Though, I won't blenderize a happy meal and eat it. Just . . . no. Nor do I expect anyone else Iron-manning this challenge to seek punishment for missed days. I'm just really crazy. (For those of you who aren't Nerdfighers, this whole punishment/blenderized happy meal thing is from the Vlogbrothers. Who are awesome. For really serious really reals.)

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled drabbles. Tomorrow I hope to actually sit down and respond to feedback and leave my own, but today has been full of "crap we've been gone for four days" stuff.

July 12th
Another Brick in the Wall--Pink Floyd

Ratings: G/PG/R
Notes: This was one of the two songs I knew before starting this challenge. It was also surprisingly hard to come up with these moments. These three are also Queen of Hearts moments. For the non-readers, "Jenga" translates as "I win!"

Teacher?
“Tara, come on.”

“I said no.”

“Please?”

“Dawnie, no.”

“But you and Willow would be great!”

“Sweetie, I know it's going to be a hard year. But you've got to go to school, just like we do. If we're going to provide you with a decent future, we need to finish college. We just don't have time to home school you at the same time.

“You and your stupid logic.”

“Yeah, well, blame Willow for that.”

“Stupid Willow.” Willow chose that moment to enter.

“Hey! I heard that!”

“Oops.”

Fighting the (Council)-Man
Tara and Willow collapsed onto the bed, each bloodied and dirty.

“We can't keep this up. When is the next slayer going to arrive?”

“That's the thing. Buffy's death didn't call a new slayer. The next one won't be called until Faith's death.”

“Wow. So if the council found out . . . .”

“They'd probably go kill Faith. She doesn't mean anything to them. Just another brick in the wall.”

“Baby, I love it when you're all anti-establishment, but they take you less seriously if you quote Pink Floyd at them.”

“Well, phooey.”

Winning
There was a crick in Tara's neck, her left arm tingled from the low blood supply (next time, that had to go elsewhere), and she was really thirsty, even though her mouth and face were both completely drenched (seriously, what was up with that?).

But none of that mattered.

What mattered was that she could look across the naked body before her and at the blissful expression on Willow's face. No one had to teach her this; all she had to do was to pay attention to Willow. And that was the most natural thing in the world.

“Jenga.”

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:18 pm 
3. Flaming O

Well, I went into this thinking it would be easy. A hundred words seemed like nothin' and since I like to focus closely on particular moments when I write I figured this would be a piece of cake. I will not make that silly assumption again. I feel like I have no time to set a scene in a hundred words- that is what made this a fun and interesting challenge. Though the things I wrote were inspired by the songs I'm not really sure how it worked out. I don't think I'd be able to tell what songs they were just by reading them, but I have a weird muse so I'm not really that surprised. All three drabbles are canon.

Title: Expressions (99 words)
Author: Silent_X
Rating: PG
Feedback: Very important to a developing writer such as myself
Song: Say (All I Need)- OneRepublic

The faint tick of my watch counts the silent seconds. Everything in my room seems dull, familiar in the dim light. I orbit her as she sits across from me on my low bed. She is my focus.

Her red hair seems to glow in the candlelight, and as my eyes linger her entire being glows softly. Fleetingly I wonder what Willow would look like pregnant. She smiles.

The moment is perfect. God knows she’s perfect.

“Willow, I-I-” No! I fight myself. I refuse to hold these words in my throat when they belong to her. “I love you.”

Title: Escape (100 words)
Rating: G
Feedback: If you do not tell me what's good and what's bad my improvement will be quite slow
Song: Struggle For Pleasure- Wim Mertins

A din of sounds mingled with the aroma of cooking food against a backdrop of every color imaginable. It seemed a little sudden as Tara finally took in her surroundings after wandering numbly through the fair. She wrung her hands together, chastising herself for her inadequacy with words. Nothing had gone right with Willow.

A little fantasy unfolded in Tara’s head, with Willow rushing up behind her and taking her hand, eager to forget the whole thing and move on. To admit that some wrong things were said.

Willow wasn’t here. Tara sat down and waited for something to happen.

Title: The Simplest and Most Complicated (98 words)
Rating: PG13
Song: Boy With A Coin- Iron and Wine

Three days. The bliss of their reunion had lasted three days. Well, three hand a half if you counted… no. Willow turned her eyes away from the disarrayed bedsheets. She didn’t need a reminder.

This was the talking part; unusually, Willow had found herself doing little talking. Tara was looking at her expectantly.

A few beats. “What made you come back?” Willow choked out through her tears, finally.

Tara took a small step towards her, her previously composed face now spilling thin tears. “Because… I think that my life is with you. I don’t want to feel... dead.”

Last edited by Silent_X on Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:59 pm 

Okay, let's see how much feedback I can get to in thirty minutes, shall we?

Foo
Re Breaking: Particularly after "Metaphor," I wanted to do one that was literally about music, so that brought me to OMWF. I wanted a moment when "escape from the music" was something to be desired, and that brought me to the moment I wrote. But credit where credit's due: it was JW who put Tara at Willow's side there, not me.

Re First Date: Two things. One, I write Tara . . . different. People keep telling me. Second, this is Tara's POV of a scene from Queen of Hearts, and . . . well, let's just say that Tara's had really rough day, including Willow being weird and asking totally inappropriate questions on bridges. So, cut her a little slack.

Re Intentions: I often try to get a line or an image into these, but it's not always easy.

Re Rumspringa: Yes, that's from her conversation with Beth.

Your stuff: my favorites here are the pool of jello and the birthday wishes.

Heather:
They make it to the Bronze without kissing first? Wow. :)
I think I like the third one here best.

Angie:
Day 4: I like the little story you tell here. Nicely done. Plus, since I've seen these a gazillion times, I knew exactly the moment you meant for the first one, so it was really orienting.
Day 5: Poor Oz.
Day 6: Hee hee. Jamming Willow.

Ariel:
I live to terrify you. Boo! (Also, thanks)

Foo (Again):
I agree, NMR is really important. I couldn't sit down to start a canon season 4 story without sitting down and analyzing the crap out of it. It's the episode I have sketched out in the most detail, because understanding the character movement through that episode is so important to understanding the core of the characters. I've also seen it a stupidly large number of times.

JustSkipIt:
Re canon percentages: You want me to do more work?
Aaand . . . I'm going to have to owe you on the rest.

Okay, 11:53, time to preview this sucker.

July 13th
Heartbreaker - Dionne Warwick

Ratings: G? PG? Somewhere in there.
Notes: Oh goodie! More break-up ones! And break-up ones basically have to be canon, because canon is the only setting where we can say "no, it's okay, they get back together later." It's almost like this list was not carefully thought out to not cover duplicate moments in their lives! Preposterous! (Of course, my default mode is canon, so . . . yeah.)

Out of the Spell
The trip home had been silent. When it looked like neither of them would make it back, Xander gently took Willow's arm while Dawn took Tara's a good ten feet back. It wasn't until they were safely in the Summers' home that they were released.

Tara walked up the stairs, even though Willow had gone up them only moments before. There were things she needed from the bedroom, and she couldn't bear to come back to get them anytime soon.

As she approached the bathroom, Tara could feel Willow's presence. Tara stopped in front of the door.

“Undo it.”

Not Around
“Hello?”

“Hey. It's me.”

“H-hey.”

“I miss you.”

“I miss you, too.”

“When are you coming back?

“I don't know.”

“But, this is your home.”

“I know.”

“So come back.”

“I can't. Not now.”

“Why not?”

“It's complicated.”

“I'm a big girl. Explain it.”

“It just . . . wasn't enough.”

“What would be?”

“I have to be able to trust.”

“It's better.”

“I'm not so sure.”

“But . . . I love you.”

“I love you too, Dawnie.”

You Never Call
Willow sat in her room, holding Mr. Snugglepupkins close to her chest as she stared at the phone.

Surely Tara would call.

Wouldn't she?

Tara knew about the crash: Willow had overheard Dawn telling her about it last night. Despite herself, she smiled at the thought. Based on Dawn's side of the conversation, Tara was asking the questions a mother would ask.

Tara had taken to being a parent so well.

Willow had always wanted to do it properly, starting with a baby instead of a teenager. Sometime after they graduated. Once they got married.

Tara just had to call.

Last edited by BeMyDeputy on Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:58 pm 

You know, I know how much time it takes me to leave feedback. I've been doing it for almost a year now. Yet, I sit down to write these at 11:00, and just don't have time to do a proper job of it. Ugh. Maybe I'll sit down and work on it once I post this.

Or maybe I'll tip over and fall asleep.

Yeah, I'm betting that one.

But quickly, Deb, the one you didn't recognize was from "Hell's Bells."

July 14th
Enough is Enough - Barbara Streisand and Donna Summer

Notes: A few things. First, I really wasn't feeling anything with the song as a coherent thing, so instead I pulled a few lines and made things from those. Second--hold your breath--none these is necessarily canon. Gasp! The first is based on "Not a Date," the second is canon-agnostic (though it fits nicely into QoH-canon), and the third belongs in the same universe as the currently-unnamed major project I'm doing after Queen of Hearts. Which really needs a name, so I can reference it. Finally, the second two are inspired by personal experience.

Get the Check
Willow reached for the check. “I've got it.”

“But, you got it last week.”

“I know.”

“And you got the movie last week.”

“I know.”

“And you got the popcorn last week.”

“Tara, I haven't forgotten last Friday. I had a really good time.”

“I j-just mean, you don't have to keep paying for stuff.”

I invited you. Hence, I make with the paying.”

“But--”

“You are not going to win this, missy.”

This is not a date, Tara reminded herself. I can do this. Not a date.

Rain
What Tara missed most about northern California was the rain. That wasn't to say it rained a lot in Yolo county. But it did rain. And when it rained, it poured.

As a young girl, she'd always been amused that the rain broke the stoplights. Even on the busier streets, all the stoplights turned to stop signs in the face of the rain. Not that Davis had busy streets.

Rain was why she'd really dragged six hours north on I-5. Not to show Willow where Tara had grown up. But to see Willow in the street, dancing in the rain.

Plenty More Tears
Willow burst into the bathroom to find Tara kneeling at the side of the tub, calmly rinsing Joshua's hair. Joshua, by contrast, was screaming his head off.

“Joshua? Hey buddy, what's wrong?”

When Joshua simply continued to scream, Tara answered instead. “He found the Vaseline, and decided it was hair gel. Pass me the shampoo?”

“Oh god. How many times have you washed his hair?”

“This will be seven. I'm not sure we'll get enough out for him to sleep on a pillowcase tonight.”

“Whoever named this shampoo 'No More Tears' never met our son.”

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:31 pm 

Okay, where was I?

JustSkipIt:
Can't Say a Word:
Quote:
But Tara was just so darn cute there. I love the entire analysis on the commentary for that episode about blah blah blah vs. Tara’s power which is totally non-blah blah blah based. ... She has plenty to say but nothing she is going to say.

1) Yes
2) What was it you were telling me about being precise with language? I can't remember over all my giggling.
3) It may be hard to believe, but I used to be shy. No, stop laughing, really. I was. And I remember that in moments like these, it really felt like I had nothing to say, that my wanting to say anything at all just evaporated.

Hollow and Alone: My own history with bipolar makes it easy for me to see Willow's logic through this: it isn't until she's lost Tara anyway that she can walk away from the thing she thinks is keeping Tara with her.

Slapped out of It: I'm glad you liked. Messing around with these drabbles and with the OST rewrite have gotten me playing with one sentence paragraphs quite a bit. I don't see a good way to put a "p" at the end of the opening line, but I did deliberately put a stop consonant at the end for the sound. Also, linguistics is awesome.

In Dignity: What I love about the last line is that even though she's lost and broken, she moves forward. And that's just such a huge part of recovery.

To Hell and Back Again: Yes, shared background is awesome, and very useful in writing these. Also, I believe that more than one of my sad drabbles happen right before things change. Though, those might be ones that I thought of and then didn't end up writing. So many drabbles.

Quote:
#4 – Phenomena – Yeah. I think we all know you had me at clink.

This made me laugh. I mean, you learn the oddest things about people on the board. Like, even though I know her name, I still think of your daughter as "Lucky," and when you were bitching about your cat and it being filthy, I think in your response to my feedback on The Three of Us (that was long enough and you're busy enough that I should directly reply to instead of waiting for part II, but seriously I still want part II) . . . anyway I remember thinking that you make comments to the effect of "aah! dirty!" when sex is written to be outdoors and therefore not really clean. And I don't think that mess was a sentence . . . so . . . suck it.

Sacrifice: I feel really bad for Oz in NMR. He doesn't do anything wrong (here), and no one bothers to give him a heads up that things have changed. I know they only had Seth Green for the one episode, but I wonder how it would have played out if Willow had 'fessed up from the start.

Knowledge: You asked me when Willow figures out she loves Tara. Now you know.

#1: I really loved that Willow and Tara don't speak at the end of Tabula Rasa. They don't have to. But it did make that lovely little parallel structure thingy. And I'm a sucker for parallelism.

#2: In my head, it's actually between seeing Oz in Willow's room and Willow coming to say "no really, it wasn't what you think." Before the extra flamey knock there's this thing with the chair and the dark and the candle and the light and the metaphor and the setup for OMWF . . . it's a thing. Also: "It's a thing" seems to have become one of my phrases. Sigh. ("Sigh" has been one of my phrases for much longer.)

#3: To me, what Willow perceives here is not true; Buffy was indeed startled, but genuinely came to be supportive of her friend, while Willow seems really eager to be tetchy about it. But it doesn't matter what Buffy intends here, it matters that Willow feels persecuted. Also, I seem to have this incredibly weird perception of . . . um . . . most of BtVS that no one else shares. Because I'm weird.

@Brave-little-toaster: Hey, welcome to the fun. I liked all of these, particularly the last line to each one. I think I liked "Blue Jeans" the best.

@Silent_X: Harder than it looks, isn't it? I'm prone to needing nearly two thousand words for a single scene, so this has been such a change. Setting the majority of mine in canon is a nice cheat, because all of the buildup has been done for me.

These are all nice, though I'm partial to the one from "Tough Love." I particularly liked the way you ended it:
Quote:
"Tara sat down and waited for something to happen."

Very nice. I also liked how you ended the last one, with the allusion to Tara feeling dead . . . well, because I'm a bad person.

A couple of tips: I think it would be a little bit easier to parse these if you left a blank line between paragraphs. Since you can't indent to show the start of a paragraph, the extra brake makes it easier to read. Second, because you're so short on words in these, you want to repeat things only for a deliberate impact (a trick I know I'm rather partial to). When you say "a din of sounds," however, that just feels redundant, because "din" already refers to sound. The repetition of ideas doesn't grant you power, it just sounds awkward.

@BeMyDeputy: What the hell is up with Tara asking Willow to "Undo it"? Didn't the spell get broken when Xander stepped on the crystal? Isn't that why there was the problem in the first place?

Well, Kate, that's a great point. What I was alluding to here, and was not clear at all, was the spell that Willow cast from "All the Way." Tara wants all her memories back, not just who she is and why she's pissed at Willow.

July 15th
Do You Really Want To Hurt Me - Culture Club

Ratings: PG
Disclaimer: I didn't write a single line of a single Buffy episode, so the lines quoted here are, therefore, not mine.
Notes: More sad ones! Man, sometimes I think the mods want to hurt me and make me cry. Then I remember that I chose to do this crazy-ass iron-man challenge without knowing the songs all on my lonesome. Stupid Kate! Stupid, stupid Kate!

Prepared to Let You Go
Tara steadied herself. The single moment, the one time that Tara had needed Willow to put a name to the change in their relationship, to put into words what they had been doing with their bodies had come.

And gone.

She didn’t know.

Willow still loved Oz. That much was clear. And not knowing didn’t have much of a chance against certainty.

After the brief reprise of hope Willow had brought her, it was time for Tara to let her go again. She stepped closer, and ran the back of her hand along Willow's cheek.

“Do what makes you h-happy.”

Hurt
“That’d be a good start.”

Tara was stunned. They’d disagreed before, they’d had heated arguments before—particularly about the magic--but nothing like this. Not with words that were meant to cut and tear rather than persuade or deflect.

Even when Willow had come to Tara in tears, not knowing whether to return to Oz or to stay with Tara, she’d done so with more compassion than she showed now. Just as she did then, the only thing Tara knew how to do was to show Willow she loved her.

“If I didn't love you so damn much, I would.”

Wrapped in Sorrow
Willow looked at the outfit she’d laid on the bed, desperate for its owner and the comfort she brought. Though the shower had washed away the filthy feeling from the night before, it left her sorrow intact.

It had been years since she had felt like this: down with no one to lean on, no one to help pick herself up again. Her whole life she’d known she faired better as part of a team, but now everyone felt so far away.

Willow hovered her hand above the clothes and embraced a pale imitation of the life she had lost.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:46 pm 

Hope everyone had a lovely Saturday. I spent much of the day reading. I said to myself, "oh, I'll just read one chapter of this, I've read it before, I can stop when I want" and then somehow I was at the end. So, screw you Deb, because reading 100k words of WfD is not really conducive to writing 10k of QoH because they're totally different styles and plot, and oh yeah I didn't spend any of that time writing and now is gonna kick my ass.

Obviously, I"m not to blame for this at all. *cough*

July 16th
Automatic - The Pointer Sisters

Ratings: Let's say R, just to be safe.
Notes: Sometimes I wonder what the page view on this thread would look like if you eliminated my views. Because seriously, between the going to the song link and looking at feedback and the getting my heading format from my previous posts . . . major inflation.

Roommate II
“Okay, so the RNA goes--”

“mRNA.”

“'Kay, the mRNA goes from the nucleus to the cytoplasm, where it gets . . . translated? . . . into protein?”

“Yes, translated. By what?”

“Um, the endoplasmic reticulum?”

“Not quite. See, the ribosomes do the translating, but they're on the outside of the ER, so the new legs long soft girl skin pillow bite need want take have--.

Dawn didn't even glance over her shoulder. “Dammit Tara, would you please put on more than a robe when we're in here studying?”

“Sorry.”

Too Weak to Stand
Willow sighed contentedly as she nestled her head against Tara's thigh.

“We should go shower, get dressed.”

Willow squinted up at Tara. “You're welcome.”

“I swear you told me the moaning and the screaming were thanks enough.”

“Well, yeah, they are. Until you try to get me out of bed.”

“We were supposed to meet everyone at the Bronze fifteen minutes ago.”

“Can you stand?”

Tara tested her unoccupied leg. “Probably . . . .”

“Well, that's no good.” Willow rolled back onto her stomach.

“ . . . If you insist.”

Negotiations
“Are you sure about this?”

“Yes.”

“Like, really sure?”

“You know, I did think about this before I asked. It's okay, honest.”

“I just . . . .”

“I'm sure. Really.”

“Well, if you're sure . . . .”

“Jeeze, this from the girl who's been roughly shoving me against things and kissing me senseless for . . . how long now?”

“Yeah, well . . . shut up. And lift your head: I'm not tying this blindfold around the pillow.”

“Should have known a little lip would do it.”

Last edited by BeMyDeputy on Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:55 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
I'm behind a few days. The one where Willow make Tara's dress come alive is just so sad. It is one of the saddest and most pathetic scenes in Buffy and honestly, I never watch it. You did it well but I still don't like it.

Quote:
Hope everyone had a lovely Saturday. I spent much of the day reading. I said to myself, "oh, I'll just read one chapter of this, I've read it before, I can stop when I want" and then somehow I was at the end. So, screw you Deb, because reading 100k words of WfD is not really conducive to writing 10k of QoH because they're totally different styles and plot, and oh yeah I didn't spend any of that time writing and now is gonna kick my ass.
At first when you said "screw you deb" I thought you saw in the reading thread that I was rereading HP7 and you were now rereading the entire HP series but I see. Sorry and thanks too. But write! BTW - I've been rereading QoH.

And of course you know I like the last drabble. A little lip indeed.

I think you're half-way done with your crazy challenge and I'm loving it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:08 pm 

Hey! I didn't disappear! I just cut my thumb yesterday, making it hard to type. Sorry 'bout that. It's better now.

So, the one vote I've gotten for what my punishment should be is that it should be a short of at least 300*n words, where n=the number of days I've missed. Since no one else has spoken up, I'm going to do that for the time I've missed so far (hopefully not missing any more, but we'll see). Her request, if I recall correctly, was for it to be "smart, sexy, AU and post-college." Oh, and that it can't be something I've already written and simply have hanging around on my computer: it has to be new. And if she wants to named, she can claim this idea herself; I'm not stopping her. But I didn't receive it via a public format so I'll leave it up to her.

So, if I miss from now to the end (this is my first one of the second half, woo hoo!), I'll either lump those days in with the five I've missed so far or do something else that someone suggests. I need to not miss many more, though, because I have another wedding to go to next month.

@BeMyDeputy
Isn't it true that this point:
Quote:
@BeMyDeputy: What the hell is up with Tara asking Willow to "Undo it"? Didn't the spell get broken when Xander stepped on the crystal? Isn't that why there was the problem in the first place?

was brought up by someone else? Aren't you taking credit for someone else's question?

That's an excellent point, Kate. I'm glad you pointed that out. See, I have readers who don't actually comment on these drabbles. Apparently, they're too short/bad/worthless/meaningless/insubstantial to comment on. But not so much so that they don't read them. So I get these questions in private forums from people (or in this case, a person), and realize that I was only perfectly clear in my head, not on the page. And that's just sad. So I thought I'd clarify. And if the person who came up with the question wanted credit it the first place, she should have just fucking done so in the thread. So there :P

@JustSkipIt:
Hey, it's not my fault the mods picked all these sad songs that make me think of sad moments. Plus, I went into this blind, remember: we've done exactly one song I knew before this thing.

If I had started at the beginning of HP and read straight through all seven books, I don't think I'd have been done by then. I mean, they're fast reads (particularly given how many times I've read them), and I'm a decently fast reader (I think . . . my ex reads twice as fast as me, so that throws off my baseline), but . . . that's still a lot of words.

And if you want QoH all in one document, I have it as a single file. With a kicky Table of Contents!

And "Negotiations" was for you. Well, and dlline (who I really doubt reads these, but when I'm done I'll put all mine in one post and send her the link), because she taught me just how sexy safewording out of handcuffs can be. Yum.

July 18th
You - The Pretty Reckless

Ratings: PG/PG13
Notes: I really don't have anything witty to say today. Ah well. Take your drabbles and like it.

Temptation
Tara lay awake in the darkness, an unfamiliar warmth pressed into her side. It was nice.

That was the problem.

It simply provided so many tempting possibilities: to run her fingers through Willow’s hair, to place kiss after kiss on Willow’s forehead, to move her own hand (nonchalantly wrapped around Willow) under the thin shirt keeping Tara away from the feel of Willow’s skin.

Tempting, too, was the urge to slide her unoccupied hand into her own pajama bottoms and address the much more familiar and increasingly pressing warmth that resided there.

It was going to be a long night.

Bargaining
Bargaining: wasn’t that one of the stages of grief? Not that it mattered. Tara couldn’t care less if her reaction was stereotypical or textbook or any of the other words she knew that meant “normal.”

All that mattered was that she couldn’t lose Willow. Not now.

Of course, Oz’s appearance meant that in ways she already had lost Willow. Important, not having her heart broken ways.

Even still, she wanted Willow in her life. Needed Willow in her life. It was just too empty without her.

“Whatever, you know, happens . . . I'll still be here. I'll still be your friend.”

Conflicting Needs
The words Tara was saying didn't make any sense. Hell, it didn't look like they made sense to her, either.

Why didn't that stop her from saying them?

Willow needed Tara: her whole life centered around Tara. But now Tara was talking like there was no sun at the center of the solar system. Wouldn't everything just go careening off into space, meaningless?

No, it couldn't be right. They were equals, each dependent on the other. Tara loved her. Tara needed her.

Didn't she?

But this didn't fit that paradigm, that reality.

“Are you saying you're gonna leave me?”

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:59 pm 

For people who don't know me, this was me teasing and being silly. :
Quote:
See, I have readers who don't actually comment on these drabbles. Apparently, they're too short/bad/worthless/meaningless/insubstantial to comment on. But not so much so that they don't read them. So I get these questions in private forums from people (or in this case, a person), and realize that I was only perfectly clear in my head, not on the page. And that's just sad. So I thought I'd clarify. And if the person who came up with the question wanted credit it the first place, she should have just fucking done so in the thread. So there

July 19th
Phenomena - Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Ratings: R
Notes: I'm deeply amused that the first time I'm posting about sex isn't in Queen of Hearts. Isn't in the rewrites. It's in these.

Sweat in the Water
Willow didn't know how it worked. She'd seen Tara naked every day for years. Some days—some very, very good days—she'd seen Tara naked all day.

Tara naked was certainly a good thing. A wonderful thing. One of those things that she never stopped being excited about, like cell phones with cameras in them. So it was impressive the effect Tara walking into view could have on her.

All with the addition of a little blue swimsuit.

Willow could do nothing but stare, not noticing the cold ocean water around her.

Or the large wave that proceeded to knock her over.

Don't Touch
Tara pinned Willow's wrists. “Stay.”

Willow nodded, then made a play with her teeth for the breast in front of her face. Tara anticipated the traditional move and sat up in time to dodge it, gently shoving Willow's head back in the process.

“What did I say about the touching?”

“You said not to move my hands.” Willow glanced up. “See, totally in place.”

“Well, if you want to play like that . . . ." Tara began to move off Willow.

“Wait!”

Tara stopped. “Can you be good?”

“Yes. Only good.”

Tara smiled. “Excellent.”

Get Her Body Off
Willow woke up just enough to know that she was sweating and that there was a large heat source half on top of her. Without bothering to wake up any further, she pushed at the big hot thing, mumbling “get your body . . . off.”

With that, Willow flipped her pillow and turned over, kicking off the sheet clinging to her legs.

Willow's arm moved suddenly and without her consent, and her fingers entered something warm and wet. A hot breath whispered in her ear. “Only if you help.”

“Wha?”

“Get . . . my body . . . off.”

“Ohhh. Yeaokay.”

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:58 pm 

July 20th
Boy With a Coin - Iron & Wine

Ratings: RLike, G/PG. Stupid copy-paste error.
Notes: Several points. First, thank you Foo for introducing me to Iron & Wine. This music is awesome. Second, for the curious, these are all set in the same universe as "Plenty More Tears," and in chronological order; while I don't have a name for the major story yet, the associated stories I'm going to call Middle Years stories. So yes, these are all "Middle Years" drabbles. Third, "Imale" is Hebrew for "Mommy," while "Mutti" is German for "Mom."

Para España
Alma emerged from the small Sevilla home in her red and black Flamenco dress. Juan began to play his guitar and sing. For the first song, everyone else simply clapped along and watched Alma dance. Then, women jumped up to join in the dancing, and the younger boys pulled out their guitars to join Juan.

Tara leaned over to Willow and whispered in her ear. “I'll learn to play guitar like that if you learn to dance like that.”

“Deal.”

As the third song began, Willow and Tara were pulled from their seats to join in the dancing.

Crying at Birth
Willow couldn't pull her eyes off the tiny baby boy in Tara's arms. Well, except for the somewhat frequent loving looks she gave to Tara.

“I can't believe you made him.”

Tara chuckled. “Well, you helped.”

“Pfft. The hell I did.”

Tara kissed Willow's forehead. “You did help. You did everything I asked for and more.”

Joshua yawned, entrancing both women. Tara, clearly overwhelmed, began to cry, a broad smile on her face.

“Good tears?” Willow checked.

“Good tears.” Tara looked up at Willow and then back at Joshua. “Best graduation present ever.”

Boy with a Coin
Joshua stood on the shore of Jasmund National Park and looked out over the Baltic Sea.

“Go ahead, kiddo. Make your wish,” Tara encouraged him.

He screwed up his small face as he dug into his pockets and pulled out a German Euro cent. He stared at the oak design for a moment before he hurled it into the sea.

“Where are we going next, Imale?”

“Mutti has a job in Dresden, and we are going on a history adventure.”

“What happened?”

Willow looked at him sadly. “We burned it to the ground.”

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:20 pm 

July 21st
Stereo Love - Edward Maya & Vika Jigulina

Ratings: G/PG
Notes: Actual comment on a lyrics page for this song: "WoW ... nIcE sOnG ... bUt WhO iS eDwArD mAyA? i PeRsOnAlLy PrEfEr EdWaRd CuLlEn ... :P ... NiCe sOnG aNyWaYs ..." It breaks my head in so many ways . . . as did the fact that a later commenter agreed with this "bellaswan24" person.

Apology
Tara glanced at the sky. It was going to be dark soon: time to find Willow. Tara descended the porch steps scanned the shoreline. Unsurprisingly, she spotted Willow perched atop her favorite rock.

Slowly, but careful to make enough noise as to alert Willow to her presence, Tara made her way across the surrounding rocks to a spot behind Willow. Willow shifted enough that Tara understood she’d been noticed, but they both remained silent and still as the sun set.

Tara placed a hand on Willow’s shoulder. “I’m sorry.”

Willow reached up and squeezed Tara’s hand. “I know.”

Things I Never Done
"You were looking at her," Willow scowled.

"She was walking right at us."

"No, I mean looking at her."

Tara sighed. "Yes. And?"

"Why would you do that?"

Tara rolled her eyes. "Because she's hot."

"So, what, you see some chick on the boardwalk--"

"And you think I'll do what, Willow? Anything more than look?" Tara stopped and turned to Willow. "Have I ever done anything more?"

"No."

"Have I ever done anything to make you think I want to do more?"

"Well, no."

"Then don't get mad at me for having eyes."

"I guess . . . . She was pretty hot."

"Exactly."

Lose Control
"Just so you know, if Xander hurts her, I'll kick his ass."

Willow blinked a few times. Xander had warned her about the maid of honor being particularly defensive of Dawn.

"Don't worry. There wont be any need for that, he's a sweet guy. I promise."

"Dawn keeps telling me." Willow gulped as Tara took a predatory step forward. "You know what else she tells me?"

" . . . no?"

"That you're single." Tara kissed her hard. When she stepped back, Tara mashed the "4" button on the elevator. "C'mon. Rehearsal isn't for an hour."

"Sounds good."

"I'm Tara, by the way."

"Willow."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:59 pm 

July 22nd
Say (All I Need) - OneRepublic

Ratings: PG13

Accommodations
“Do you need anything?”

Willow shook her head. “Nu uh.”

“Are you sure?”

“I think so. I mean, let's see. Oxygen . . .” Willow made a show of taking a deep breath, “. . . check. Pillow?” Willow bounced her head gently on Tara's shoulder. “Check. Seems good to me.”

“I mean, your r-roommate won't be worried or anything?”

“Who, Buffy? Naw, she'd be more worried about me walking around at night. Besides, I conk out in the science library all the time.”

“As long as you're set.”

“I am. Sweet dreams, Tara.”

“Sweet dreams.”

Decisions
Willow sat in the library with her study group. She was supposed to be working on physics. Instead, she was staring at the picture that had displaced the periodic table as the front picture in her wallet. It was from a good day: she and Tara had spent the day goofing off at the bowling alley.

Every time she looked at it, Tara's question from that night rang in her ears: “Do you know where your heart is?” Willow hadn't known then, and she didn't know now.

That day, not knowing was okay. Today, she really needed to know.

Say It
“Say it.”

“No.”

“C'mon, please?”

“Willow, no.”

“I'll love you forever.”

“I have that anyways.”

“Fine. I'll do it if you say it.”

“You'll do it anyways.”

“Well, yeah, but, that's not the point.”

“What is the point?”

“That I want to hear you say it.”

“Fine.”

“Really?”

“Really.” Tara shook her head. “I want you to fuck me as hard as you can.”

Willow nipped at Tara's ear. “Yes.”

“Remind me not to let you watch Fight Club with Xander anymore.”

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:38 pm 

July 23rd
Chicken Fried - Zac Brown Band

Sunrise
“Hey baby, wake up.”

“Stop it.” She flailed at me ineffectively.

“No. You made me promise to get you up.”

“I take it back.”

“You said you’d say that, and not to listen.”

“I didn’t mean it. Let me sleep”

“You said you’d say that, too.” I pulled the covers off her and sprayed water on her nude form.

She sat up, sputtering, and I couldn’t help but laugh.

“What the hell was that?”

“You said to do whatever it took.” I smirked at her before pointing out the window of our crappy hostel room. “Look: Parisian sunrise.”

“Thank you.”

Little Things
Tara lay in the backyard and watched Willow standing next to the grill, laughing with Xander. Tara had been concerned about Willow’s recent decision not to go to grad school, particularly since the announcement immediately preceded a proposal.

Willow had insisted that what she wanted out of life had changed: she wanted to marry Tara, not her career.

Would it be enough? Would Willow be happy just living?

Willow suddenly started chasing Xander around the backyard, smiling and shouting at him. She looked happier and more relaxed than Tara had ever seen her.

Tara stood and caught Willow’s arm.

“Yes.”

Just Right
“What are you doing?”

“Sorting clothes to be cut into rags. Like you told me to?”

“But, why are those in the rag box?”

Willow picked up the indicated pair of jeans. “Well, they have a hole in the knee.”

“We’re keeping those. Intact.”

“But you said--”

“I didn’t mean those. I like those.”

“They’re mine.”

“Here, let me show you something.” Tara removed a dumbfounded Willow’s slacks, then helped her into the jeans in question. “See?”

“What am I . . . ?”

“Your ass.”

Willow looked into the mirror.

“Huh. Keepers?”

“Keepers. And leave ‘em on. Until I take them off.”

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:03 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Hey Kate,

Sorry the feedback has been kinda . . . MIA. But I am reading and loving your interpretation of the songs I've chosen, especially "Boy With A Coin." I always associated the "crying at birth" line with the pain of child birth, but I loved your spin on it. I'm glad you're enjoying Iron & Wine.

Thanks so much for your contributions to this thread, and c'mon people, all you have to do is write 100 words. :) Let's see more entries!

Kisses and Gay Love

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:56 pm 

@Foo,
Glad you're enjoying these. I get that it's hard for people to leave feedback for stuff that's so short, so I'm not too terribly bothered by the silence: I don't feel like I'm writing into a hole or anything. Besides, I'm having a fun time with them, even though sometimes I feel like there's an awful lot of sad songs on this list. Boy with a Coin has been stuck in my head since I did that one; it's a really cool song and it reminds me of my trip to Spain (particularly the official video for it) . . . wow, like, 11 years ago.

July 24th
River--Angus Stone

Christmas in SoCal is Green
“Christmas here is weird.”

“What do you mean?”

“Look: palm trees.”

“There's always palm trees there.”

“Palm trees aren't very Christmas-y.”

“Sure they are. These have colored lights and everything.”

“It's not the same. The air is warm and the grass is green and the sprinklers still go off every night.”

“Shouldn't they?”

“No! It should be cold and the grass should be asleep under a blanket of snow. We should need hot chocolate and fresh baked cookies to keep warm.”

“Dammit, Tara, now I want cookies and hot chocolate.”

Made My Baby Leave
Willow had never been a big Christmas person, understandably. The day itself had mostly meant that the library was closed and that Xander was busy.

Yet this year, the Christmas season brought to Willow the pervasive melancholy that it brought Charlie Brown.

She'd spent the last two Christmases with Tara.

In light of Joyce's death, Dawn and Buffy had been invited to Janice's. Buffy gave Dawn permission to go, though she had declined. Where she was, Willow had no idea.

Willow crept quietly into her old bedroom and burrowed into the covers of the bed, desperate for time to pass.

December 25, not Christmas
Christmas used to be Tara's favorite holiday. Spending it with Willow, who conveniently had few customs of her own, had been wonderful. They had a chance to start their own traditions.

But this year she was alone. The traditions they began left dusty in the attic of her mind.

The season's marketing of joy was so pervasive that it made Tara sick.

How could it be Christmas without the people she loved the most? Wasn't that what Christmas meant, being with the people she loved?

How could it be Christmas if Willow had chosen power over her?

It couldn't be.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:45 pm 
3. Flaming O

Hey! I've been working on catching up. Say It and Just Right are both excellent and my favorites so far. Made My Baby Leave and Not Christmas were well done but made me sad for both of our girls. Great job!