The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bread Replies and Part III
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 12:52 pm 
:clap :clap :clap :clap

That's all I can say

Stef :p

Post subject: Bread III: August Replies
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 8:03 pm 
Kittens, I am again flabbergasted and tickled ten shades of pink by the replies to this story. Thank you so, so, so much for reading this thing and responding to it; it makes me so happy and so grateful. You all are the very best.

A zillion replies to....

ISABIG: Yeah, the end already, but thanks for reading!

Darkmagicwillow, I love the idea of waving that bad smell away, and I love that you say this story could even begin to do that. I was working on this one since October; it just kept eluding me. I think that—and I should have said this originally—that the bread idea was always in my head; I had outlines and some parts written, etc., but then after I read that “what if” daily thread you had awhile back, I started to see what was originally just a concept in a new light. So double thanks to you. And the Lethe’s bramble was, for me, an important marker in what went wrong. In real life, you know, I’m a terrible baker. I burn things, I leave things raw, I never take anything from the oven at just the right time. :) But here, well, it’s a start, anyway.

Inward Sea, thank you. I really appreciate your writing to say that.

BFR From Paris, ooh, I want to get in your dreams then!What else are you dreaming?

RalSt31, It’s funny, I hadn’t thought of that particular bread-shape as a crux until you mentioned it, but I think you’re right. It was all about letting things happen in their own way and in their own time. Oh, and I had to put in the line about the metaphors; it was the only way I could let myself get away with three chapters worth of extended bread imagery. ;) Thank you for reading this.

Tawilove, thanks for the art comment; that is really nice, and it means a lot. And thanks for reading this!

CaptMurdock, oh, I’m glad it worked. The more I think about it, the more I think that I would gladly have given up the good parts of season 6 to have the show keep its integrity by ending after “The Gift.” And yes, W and T deserve it…that’s what fanfic is all about, right?

Twiglet1, oh thank you so much. I really appreciate it.

Mary, wow, you blow me away. I’m so glad about the shape/structure; I was so tempted at various points to keep going, but I knew it wouldn’t be the right thing, so I didn’t. I haven’t written any other fanfic except “Terra Firma,” although who knows? Writing TF was a very different experience; it was so painful and emotional, whereas with this story there is at least the distance of time, and although there was a lot of pain here, it wasn’t anywhere near the pain of season 6. I like what you say about redemption, and I have added “hauling Sapphic ass” to my vocabulary, so thanks for that. And thanks for seeing the humor; sometimes I think that arrow is so invisible that I’m the only one who can see it, so I’m relieved. And yes, Pens readers are very sharp indeed; I trust them. No, I trust them. ;) Thanks.

Big Dummy, anyone could have a better grasp than some we could mention. But I’m glad this worked. I think at this point “respectful” is what we’re all reaching for.

The Rose24, yes, Willow and Tara are driving through Kansas as we speak. And thanks; I’m glad you liked it.

Snipp, is that Bread? I’ll have to go find that song now. You cracked me up again. Hang on while I go gather the little pieces of myself up…. Okay. Gray banana bread sounds gross. But you know, fruit Pop Tarts are way better, especially the ones with the frosting. But as long as it ends with the blonde woman, I guess the specific flavor doesn’t matter, hmm? But thanks for reading this. I love it that you said practically everything has more than one meaning. And I love it that when I got to the grocery store today, I found myself inexplicably drawn to the granola bar and Pop Tara aisle (12, cherry frosted, if you were wondering.) :grin

Ruth, well, just wow. I’m glad you liked it, and I’m so grateful for the way you look at sentences! This last chapter changed a lot from the original draft (I must have gone through 10 drafts of this story). I like what you said about stripping things down; sometimes I think I end up stripping too much away, but then I think I like less more than, um, more? And you know, the idea of Willow having to learn to take a step back…I hadn’t thought of that, and I like it a lot. Living on the Hellmouth, they would never get that opportunity; if there’s trouble, you either deal with it, or you head to an alternate universe where that pain doesn’t exist (and where, incidentally, magic can be addictive :| ). Thanks you!

GrahamStokley, oh, thank you so much, but there are some other really great ones, too. It still seems to me that there aren’t a ton of post-season 5 stories, but three that come to mind that I really enjoyed are Ruby’s “Hands,” Tommo's "Laid to Rest" and Indygo’s “Walking Shadows.” I think they’re all in the Completed Fics Archives. Very different but great. But thank you!

Grimaldi, my kitchen looks like that regularly. I have kitchen gadgets that I can’t even name, let alone actually use them, and I noticed yesterday that the non-stick coating of my omelette pan is becoming a new filling in my omelettes. But wait, that’s a conversation for another day. Thank you for reading and liking!

Greatluna, oh, I love that Anne Sexton poem; I learned the hard way that most poems including the word bread are about God or working. But that poem…I was almost disappointed when I came across it because I thought she scooped me, but then I decided there’s enough to go around. :)

BoredNow99, Emma, what can I say? I guess I’m a self-effacing girl. But really, if you’d seen the early drafts of this, you wouldn’t be surprised. It really, really sucked. Way, way back when, there was going to be this thing where everyone made a bunch of jokes about money and then this new guy came to town to help Dawn with her key powers, and I was—I kid you not—going to call him Mr. Ciabatta. Then I came to my sense. Thanks!

Tkheaven, hi! Speechless is never good, but I’m glad for the rest of it. :grin

Hermitstull, I like that word, “organic.” And yes, I think they would have to lose that particular way of life; you can’t really Slay without the Slayer. Willow would never regret any of that, I think, but she must find a way to see that she played a role in it as herself and is now moving on as herself. Not leaving it behind but taking it with her. At least, that’s what you make me think of. Thanks so much for reading this!

Sister Bertrille, I’ve been going around and saying “screw Rosencrantz and Gildenstern” all day; it just kind of trips off the tongue, you know? Thank you for your great response here, and for confirming my sense that Boston drivers are scary, dangerous menaces, all of them. I haven’t been that way in awhile, but I have it in mind that maybe Tara should take the wheel when they hit New England. Calming influence and all that. That passage you quoted about it not being a resurrection but being homemade…well, that was my favorite paragraph in this story; for me, that was the story, in a nutshell. And you make me think that as satisfying and pleasuring and compelling as fan fiction is (and I do think that it is; heck, I’m writing a dissertation on this as we speak) and as good as so many writers are at making these characters their own…well, we do need to tell our own stories for ourselves, too. Not instead of, maybe, but both/and. Thanks so much for reading this.

Hush30, thanks for reading and feeling elated—what a nice thing to say.

VampNo12, thanks so much. Reading your comment, I had the sudden sense that I was listening to a Counting Crows song about looking for a girl recently, and that it made its way into that part you mentioned. Eek. It’s amazing how fan fiction writers manage to keep saying new things when it seems like everything’s been done before. But oh…I’m so happy you mentioned the bread crumb trail; that was actually the image that began this whole story for me, kind of a reversal of “Restless” in which Buffy kind of guided Tara, and this crazy picture of Tara throwing bread out a card window kind of hit me, and I had no idea what to do with it for weeks and weeks. In the end, it was just a small part of the story, but everything grew up around that, so I was glad to see you pick it out. And thanks for your great analysis; I always love seeing the shape a story makes when you put it together; there’s always something new.

Deixs, Stef, thanks for reading and for the little clappy guys; I love them.

Again, thank you all so much! Have a great weekend. I'm off to catch up on many fics!

Edited because I forgot something.

"And I'm eating this banana. Lunchtime be damned!" -- Willow in "Doppelgangland

Edited by: Tulipp at: 1/18/03 2:15:57 pm

Post subject: Re: Bread III: August Replies
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 9:32 pm 
I've been sitting here for a good ten minutes and I still don't really know what to say. My chest feels tight, and I honestly feel like I could cry. Bread seems like such a simple thing, but it can be so tricky to make. I guess love is like that too, huh? Especially love on a Hellmouth. There are so many layers here. Simple sentences take on greater and greater meanings. A quiet story that makes so many gentle ripples.

Remind me to breathe.

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."

Chinese Proverb.

Post subject: Re: Bread III: August Replies
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 12:24 am 
Hi Juli. I haven't had time to read a fic for weeks, but when I saw a new one from you, there was nothing in the world that would keep me away from it.

That's a helluva gift you've got there. I don't know what ability a person has to have to turn 'great writing' into 'great literature', but you have it in spades. In this story, just as in 'Terra Firma', I see intimacy, grace, caring, depth, understanding and just plain old love by the bucketful. Your words have a sort of 'togetherness' that I've never seen in any other fic. You wrapped me up in the characters so much that I felt I was almost breathing the story in.

Thanks from the bottom of my heart.

--Mike.

--------------------------------

Always.........

Post subject: Re: Bread
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 5:12 pm 
Tullip when I saw your name on this fic I knew it would be a good one. You certainly didn't disappoint! This was fantastic. As someone has said earlier this is art. You have a way with words that can take me away. :grin

Thanks so much for this! Can't wait for something more from you! :clap

kath

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 8:02 pm 
Read it one go.

There's only one word that comes to mind at this moment: Powerfull

-----------------------------------

love and kisses

Still Waters

..... she wears secrets in her hair......

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 5:27 am 
I find myself at a loss for words.

Wow . .. this was just wow.

This was an awesome story. I really liked how you approached the Lethe’s Bramble. Willow’s thought of using it was so Willow … to make things better. But it worked out for the best. I also like how you dealt with the reconnection of them. You made each of their fears so real. I wish this is the path that Willow and Tara had been allowed to take. *sigh* What might have been.

Thanks.

--celia

---------------------------------

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.

Post subject: Bread Final Chapter: Replies
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 3:54 pm 
TromDeGrey, Oh, no tight chests; this was supposed to be happy! But I love that phrase “Love on a Hellmouth”; it just has a kind of Audrey Hepburn-Gary Cooper ring to it, don’t you think? But it was always supposed to be quiet; I kept overcomplicating it with extra stuff and then ripping it all out again. Thanks for seeing it that way.

Mike of the Nancy Tribe, Mike, thanks for making time. I’m of course very tickled by the idea of the words here having a togetherness to them; I was never a big believer in revising and multiple drafts until I started writing fan fiction. Now, it amazes me how the presence or absence of a single word can change everything. As can cutting out whole pages or sections that, in the final draft, no longer seem to be adding.

Oneinten, Hi, Kath, thanks for reading. Just so you remember that whatever way with words I hope to have, it doesn’t translate into the kitchen. ;)

Still Waters Run Deep, hey, thanks so much for reading this.

Tiredsoul Celia, I’m glad the Lethe’s Bramble worked out okay in this. I know it wasn’t the only thing that played a part in the tv version of Willow’s downward spiral, but to me it was one of the most important things. Thanks for reading this (and I saw you read the other one recently, too—thanks for your comments there, really).

Thanks, Kittens!

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 7:12 am 
11. Fish in the Bowl

still recovering from a few days of night shoots (which should really be called *nights* on night shoot. plus, it's very confusing to be having lunch at mindnight and all) but from what i can process... this is fabu. always love your work and i adore the whole bread analogy and (reality) thoughout the fic. kinda getting hungry for some homebaked bread. lol... thanks so much for this. little angsty at times but hopeful in the end.

"We're forgetting about the troll.

Let's pay attention to the troll." Tara, Triangle

*never attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence*

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 8:47 am 
Tulipp,

Bread is a terrific character study. You succeed wonderfully at conveying the complexities of grief, and of hope. The central metaphor of bread engages on so many levels, as sustenance--bread as food, as catalyst--bread making as a process for creating movement(in a household where everyone is trapped in time, in grief), as touchstone--the smell of baking bread. Simple, elegant and incredibly powerful in your hands, bread is elevated out of the category of the mundane, and yet it also remains ordinary, a non-magical substance that becomes powerful (even more powerful juxtaposed to the Lethe's bramble). I am also impressed at how well you convey the quietness of the house--and thus make conversation, sound itself, so much more significant by way of contrast. This is a lovely, lovely work. Congratulations.

Technopagan

Edited by: technopagan78 at: 1/20/03 10:49:29 pm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:06 am 
I don't know what to say. I've just read the whole thing for the first time, and it was heartwarming, wonderful, breathtaking, and exactly what I needed today - thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:04 pm 
I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed your fic. :)

I am glad you decided to write and post it, even though you were not sure about it. It was beautifully written and gave me a whole new perspective on the summer after Buffy's death.

I believe you are an incredible writer and I appreciate any opportunity to read your arrangement of words that create such wonderful works as Terra Firma and Bread.

"You have to believe we are magic. Nothin' can stand in our way."---Olivia Newton-John.

The quest for certainty blocks the quest for meaning.---Erich Fromm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:35 am 
"A future without tragedy. A life of daily things like school and love and bread." sigh

This felt right. Not that I wish Buffy was dead, but it seemed a fitting ending for her - to go out a hero. And it felt right that Willow and Tara should go off on their own to lead their own lives - lives filled with daily things and love and bread. :)

Thanks so much for sharing your talent with us. Please do it again soon!

Edited by: Scout at: 1/22/03 6:37:42 pm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:22 am 
hey juli,

and thanks, but no. no spelt for me. no wheat, no gluten, nothing bread-like for this brave little toaster forever and ever amen...

until your wonderful W/T, tulipp-y bread-smut (and you did deliver you oven-y temptress you). thank you for the lyrical loveliness (you never disappoint!) once again and for giving them the future they deserved (which would be any kind of future at all)...together.

xomelissa

Edited by: lipkandy at: 1/24/03 2:37:58 am

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 3:03 pm 
Juli

I've been trying for a while to get some time to read this, and finally, thankfully, did.

As always, I'm so in awe of the wonderful, lyrical descriptions you use; they create such a vivid impression of the scenes.

The journey through the stages of grief, from the self-enforced isolation to renewing the connection they shared, was so well written. Really loved how the heat moved through the story from being the angry, consuming kind to that of a comfortable, homely one.

Wonderful as ever. Thank you for sharing your talent.

You don't know how lovely you are

Post subject: Re: Fic: Bread
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 5:01 pm 
Wow, Kittens, thanks again and again for your wonderful response to this thing.

Rane, what are you shooting at night? Sounds very California and Impressive, if you don’t mind me saying so. Anyway, I’m glad the analogy worked; I thought I was hitting it a little hard at times, but then, that was the point, so there you go.

Technopagan, thanks so much for reading this; I like the idea of a character study; I like what you say about bread both remaining and transcending the mundane here; I think most daily things have the potential to be profound, in Willow and Tara’s hands or otherwise. I hadn’t thought about the particular juxtaposition of bread to Lethe’s bramble, although to me the LB was a large part of the story. That works well. Thanks again.

Dekalog, I appreciate you reading this. Thanks so much.

SlayerSydney, Lisa, Oh, I’m so glad you enjoyed it. I’m glad I posted it, too, especially with such a warm reception. I think I wanted a new perspective on that summer, too, and it was really a different experience to try to write about that after the more emotionally intense experience of writing TF when everything was still so raw and so uncertain. Thanks for reading this.

Scout, I’d like to think of Buffy as a hero; it’s really hard for me to do that these days. I think I wish in some ways that ME had had the courage to let “The Gift” be the series end, to go out at the height of the show in some ways. I suppose then we wouldn’t have had so many wonderful W/T moments, but we also wouldn’t have had so many painful ones, either. Sigh.

Lipkandy, Melissa, Oh, I’m sorry to hear about the no toast in the toaster. I probably just showed my ignorance, since I actually have no idea what spelt really is, or most other healthy things, for that matter. There was a thing on tv last night about fruit, how healthy and how wonderful it is, and I completely missed the message because I couldn’t stop looking at the photo of the cheese fries that was intended to shock me into eating more fruit. But I digress. Oven-y temptress; I like that. :blush . And thanks for reading this. I appreciate seeing what you thought.

Mollyig, holy cow, you have a new avatar! I just about fell out of my chair (okay, bed, I admit it, it’s 10:00 am on a Sunday, and I’m still in bed). Thanks for reading this; I like the way you describe the heat as an entity that changed throughout the story. I wanted to do more with ideas of heat and fire after playing with those images in the last chapter of TF, so I’m glad that came across here. Thanks so much for making time to read this.

Have a lovely Sunday, Kittens.

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 10:57 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

we were filming quite a cool car crash scene (though totally unrealistic) you'll see in one of next summers blockbusters. ;) i'm going to reread this again! lol...

"We're forgetting about the troll.

Let's pay attention to the troll." Tara, Triangle

*never attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence*

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:40 am 
new to the archive :) And you can still leave feedback!

-----------------
Baby you make my love come down

Oh you make my love come down

Make it come all the way down
-
Evelyn Champagne King

Post subject: Farewell
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 3:22 am 
Thinking about short stories recently for obvious reasons, I came back to this story and understood it on a new level. It's not just Willow and Tara (and Dawn) who are saying farewell to Sunnydale, but also us, the author and the readers. It's important that the story end where it does not just for the sake of its metaphor and structure, but because it's very purpose is to be a farewell. And what a wonderful and powerful farewell it is.

--

"Omnia mutantur, nihil interit." -- "Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:42 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Whenever I start to really struggle with my writing, when a character's emotion is more than I can get down, when the plot thickens too much, when I get lost in my own racing mind, I come back to Bread. It reminds me that economy and simplicity can be the most telling. It reminds me that a twisting turning plot isn't always needed to have a compelling story. It reminds me that the most complex of emotions can be laid out with the right handful of words. Terra Firma attracts more attention and to be sure, it's one of my favorites, but Bread is what takes my breath away. It’s what leaves me with a lump in my throat and tears burning in the back of my eyes.

Bread is what reminds me to just put the pen to paper and GO.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 7:02 pm 
15. Apple Sauce & Tuna

I came across this fic several years ago, and still re-read it every couple of weeks.

It restores my faith in love, and reminds me that heaven is in the small things as well as the big ones. Being so close that you can hear someone breathing "as they stand inside your life with you" is such an evocative, poetic description that it takes my breath away, every time.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:36 am 
3. Flaming O

That was a beautiful story.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:55 am 
9. Gay Now

This was one of the first Willow/Tara fics I read and it's still the best. It may be one of most marvellous things I have ever read (and re-read and re-read). It's gorgeously written, and I cry everytime because it's beautiful and profound.

Tara was kneading her.

They kneaded one another.

Whatever Tulipp is doing now (still writing, I hope) I wish her the best of luck and I thank her for writing this gem.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:50 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Can I just say WOW! Bread as a metaphor- Were you a Creative Writing major? English Composition maybe? This is one of the most phenomenal fics I have read in awhile.

Homonym fun too... yay! They *kneaded* each other. I love it.

:kgeek Keep up the great work! Looking forward to reading other works as well.

Ahh... the things we say when we're dumbfounded...
Amber: "Hi I'm Amber... and this is (referring to Adam Busch)...

Me: "I know who he is... (scowling) He's the guy who killed your character."

Amber stifling a chuckle: "This is Adam."

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:43 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Such a beautiful story. It made me feel sad tho - I guess goodbyes are always sad. I love your writing so much. Hope you'll write some more. I don't know how to say it right so all I will say is - thank you!
Ceri

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:37 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

This is a heartbreaking and lovely story.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:08 pm 
I remember reading this fiction on the web a long time ago and being quite taken up by the concepts elaborated in 'Bread'....it becomes even more imperative to leave the author feedback, even if she never gets to read it.

The style in story-telling was different and though the atmosphere is pretty thick with a sort of desolate emotion throughout the storyline, you made up for that by an intense description of the intimacy between Willow and Tara.
Beautiful writing.

Vi'

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:18 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

having just read this again for the first time in years...

*insert longing sigh* oh... just.. perfect. You broke my heart and put it back together again. Beautiful.

- bell :peace

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:04 pm 
15. Apple Sauce & Tuna

Just re-read this for the millionth time - I see something new every time and it makes my heart sing!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:14 am 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Topics: 2
Hi,

I was reading the recommendation board; too many wonderful stories and too little time - when your story caught my eye.

There were so many things that I liked:
-the metaphor of bread-making/survival/love and making it together
-Dawn's growing maturity and realization of W/T as an adult couple, apart from her
-the quotes, appropriate and powerful
-the details that were vivid and real - everything from bread to sex
-the memories, the added depth to characters
-the cyclical beginning and ending - lovely

Finally, the quality of your prose: not florid, but beautiful and economical.

There is so much more, but it's just a rave.

Heartfelt thanks for sharing your gift.

Ariel

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next