The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 629 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Nice VampNo12
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 9:32 am 
Hi VampNo12,

Great synopsis. I particularly like your point that Giles will protect Tara. I like that his first reaction upon confirmation that it really was Willow returned was what the heck was her interest in Tara II, and surmising (correctly) that Willow if she so chose could use Tara II as part of a resurrection spell.

I also like that you pointed out that Willow is already questioning her reliance on dark arts after seeing Tara and is reevaluating how she must change to once again interact in a loving relationship. It seems that the current dark Willow never learned the lessons she needed to before she became dark (ie, the current dark Willow has no qualms in using magiks to change the natural order of things to get what she wants – what led to Willow and Tara breaking up in season 6 in the first place). If anything she came to rely on them more and use even darker arts. I’m curious to see how Tara II can reach Willow when Tara I couldn’t.

Post subject: Re: Chapter 10: Shades
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 10:20 am 
Wow, Giles remembering the last time he saw Willow, very powerful.

Willow's leaving was necessary, but poor Tara. And the obvious attraction between the two is finally starting to show

Most interested in where you are taking us!

BV

"In front of total strangers won't you kiss me, Flowers for no reason but you miss me - OOH, I wanna be in love"

Melissa Etheridge-Skin

Post subject: The Dark Rose
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 11:39 am 
Quote:
And real was so much better than a dream.

After 19 years of the dream, I can imagine. :)

This was such an awesome part. While I'm glad it's the darkest Willow got, I can't help but understand it and not hold that against her. I do like that she saved Giles from being crushed to death.

The descriptions of Giles winding through the chaos and down to the library were chilling and so visual. I love the flashbacks. A story within a story. And they're both so well done.

--celia

Edited by: tiredsoul at: 12/6/02 9:44:56 am

Post subject: Reliance
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 1:12 pm 
frumpy,

I don't think Willow is reliant exclusively on dark magic. She just uses whatever magic or tool she needs to get the job done, she's very pragmatic. I personally don't mind that attitude :) . I didn't see her question her own use of magic much.

In casu the spectre a light magic spell would work as well and Tara kindly asked Willow to use light magic. The difference between Tara and Willow likely is that if there would have been no light magic solution Willow would use dark magic without a second thought, Tara never would. Problem being that Tara would be dead then, makes for hard choices....

I'm more concerned with Willow's judgement if the job at hand requires/justifies use of magic in the first place. The doctor in the hospital, when Willow brought Tara in, is a good example. It doesn't matter (much) what type of magic is used to throw the doc out of the way (as Willow briefly considered) but more should the doc be thrown out of the way at all ? That thought-process might need some adjusting.

Would be nice if she were more hesitant about throwing magic around for minor problems. I expected that to happen on growing up, but apparently it didn't so she still needs some help in that area. Tara is the other extreme so they should balance each other nicely.

When possible Willow should use light magic, simply because it's less damaging to herself. She managed to survive 19 years of dark magic though. If anything I would like Tara to nudge Willow into studying/using light magic more. It's a new study topic, Willow ought to like that :)

I definitely don't want Willow to swallow a red pill and revert back to season4 Willow :D . I prefer problems in a story being resolved by the characters in it. Hmm... that probably only makes sense if you watch season7.

Besides, I like Willow using her power for once :D . Now if she could just get her nice green eyes back instead of those black ones....I would be perfectly happy.

:bounce

Grimmy

"You hurt Tara," Willow said too calmly. "The last one who tried that was a god. I made her regret it." -- Unexpected Consequences by Lisa of Nine

Edited by: Grimlock72 at: 12/6/02 11:17:59 am

Post subject: Hi there!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 3:36 pm 
Hi Grimlock,

My apologies if there's any confusion. I didn't mean to give the impression that I thought Willow was relying on dark magicks exclusively in my previous posts.

As she stated herself in the graveyard its all about intent whether its light or dark magic (like when she mentioned to Tara the use of levitation to stake a vampire or when she did that hand chopping thing.). I agree with this and its one of the reasons I found the season 6 "addiction theme" so ridiculous.

I agree with you, she's using whatever means she has at her disposal to achieve her ends of her own volition and a lot of those means are dark magicks which in some circumstances are easier/more convenient for her to use.

Post subject: More chapter 10 replies
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 11:31 am 
Thanks for all the feedback! This is a wonderfully satisfying way to write.

I'm glad that the darkest Willow didn't scare you away. It looks like the Council of Watchers hasn't made many friends among the kittens. I never liked them much either, but I was still a little scared of making Willow that dark. The destruction of the CoW was one of three images I had in my head when this story first came to me. The others were Willow calling for Tara's soul in chapter 1 and their first meeting at Tara's grave in chapter 3.

If you do get a chance to visit Bodiam Castle in Sussex, go see it. It's great and Cromwell's men left it in better condition than Willow did though not by too much. Oh, the Norman white tower in the courtyard is my own invention so don't expect to see that.

We will learn the fate of a character from the show that at least one of you asked about in Chapter 11, "Awakenings" on Monday.

frumpycat: I agree, in some ways Willow is a villain in this story, at least in the flashbacks of her past, even as she is one of the two protagonists. You're astute to notice the resemblence to The Black Company as that is perhaps my favorite dark fantasy novel. I've tried to create the same type of dark atmosphere that he does so well here.

I actually do have a season-6 post-Tabula Rasa dark Willow story in my head, and if I can make it different enough from this one, I might actually write it. Your insight into Giles' character is good. If he could forgive Angelus...

xita: Coolness. It's great to see your famous name on this thread. Fate, yes, fate definitely lent a hand. Magic is not all about spells, nor is a science, much is left to miracles and fate if you know how to look.

deixs: There is hope for Willow, I promise. I hope you can see more of her old self shining through with each chapter you read.

VampNo12: Willow is powerful, but that power can't provide her with what she needs: Tara. That's a realization I wish ME had come to; they didn't need to tear Willow down for being too strong. There are other challenges in life than fighting toe to toe with the bad guys, and they're often more interesting ones. As for your comments on Giles, have you been reading ahead? (-;

mollyig: I'm happy the flashback was as chilling as I'd hoped, and you're right about Giles being conflicted about Willow. He has two Willows in his mind too.

FlereImsaho: Thanks. Btw, I really enjoyed the creativity of your Culture response to my last chapter.

Tulipp: I'm very happy you like the story of Willow's past. The other readers should thank you as you were always there calling for more views into Willow's past.

frumpycat: How could Tara get through to Willow after 19 years of darkness when she couldn't when Willow had barely stepped into the darkness? It's a good question, but remember that Willow has changed too. She knows how fragile life and relationships are. Change will come from both and to both of them.

barnabasvamp: Thanks, I'm glad to get a comment about the quieter first scene where Tara and Willow are beginning to show their attraction for each other.

tiredsoul: Thanks for quoting that. That sentence along with the previous one are my favorites of the chapter. I'm thrilled the flashback was so visual and chilling for you.

Grimmy: I enjoy your speculations as they get me thinking more about the nature of magic. I think the story will answer most of your questions as it continues, but I will say that Willow knows quite a bit about light magic. She just usually choses what she thinks of as the more certain path of dark magic, at least when it comes to fighting monsters and resurrections.

frumpycat: Willow is pragmatic as you say, but sometimes pragmatism can blind you to the value of idealism. Good thing she has Tara to remind her of that.

--

"Omnia mutantur, nihil interit." -- "Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost."

Edited by: darkmagicwillow at: 12/7/02 9:32:55 am

Post subject: Re: FIC: The Dark Rose
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 6:52 pm 
Hi... I've been lurking for a while but I feel like your writing deserves a response... I love this story so far and I can't wait to see where you take this.. Thank you simply for writing this :)

You are peppermint, slow on my tongue...

A taste to savor forever.

Post subject: Re: Woof.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 9:21 am 
Question...

What's an "anti hero" ?? I know 'villain' (being pragmatic and not idealistic hardly makes a villain I think) , 'neutral people' and 'sidekick/hero'. So what's an "anti hero" ?

I call a charachter a villain if he/she does something which *I* can not justify within the story. The only thing that comes to mind for that is the 1st chapter with Willow killing those monks or whatever they were. It was never made clear if those monks were merely guarding the crystal or using for their own schemes though. (the latter would nicely justify them being killed, heh)

I do wonder if Willow used her magic to do good things for people in those 19 years, or did she only roam the world searching for Tara's soul ?

The entire pragmatic vs. idealistic thing is interesting in a way that Willow and Tara are somewhat the extremes of those (guess who's what, heh). I don't think Willow has much idealism left, that likely got kicked out when Tara was killed and in the following 19 years. Idealism wont keep you alive that long though, which is why I would like Tara to be a bit more pragmatic at times.

Since I can't go and visit the castle myself, I looked it up:

www.castlegate.net/CASTLE...odiam1.htm

www.castles-of-britain.com/castlegr.htm

vrcoll.fa.pitt.edu/medart...odiam.html

Must have taken quite some effort to build :D

Is it monday yet ?? :D

Grimmy

"You hurt Tara," Willow said too calmly. "The last one who tried that was a god. I made her regret it." -- Unexpected Consequences by Lisa of Nine

Post subject: Hey there..
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 1:25 pm 
Hi Grimlock,

There’s several definitions for anti-hero. The literal, direct definition is the opposite of a hero, and this is generally a very evil villain, someone who actually revels in committing evil acts and enjoys the suffering of their victims. Another definition is a bastardization whereupon the anti-hero at first glance appears to be completely motivated by their own needs but in the end turns out to have a “heart of gold”. Ie, at first glance they appear amoralistic but in the end it turns out they do have a grasp of what the greater good is and act on it. It’s the latter that I was referring to in regards to my Willow comment and it’s what I don’t believe she is (at least from her past actions).

PS – Thanks for posting those links. Cool stuff.

Edited by: frumpycat at: 12/9/02 6:05:32 pm

Post subject: Short replies
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 8:20 pm 
My internet connection's been really flaky this since yesterday morning so this'll be short. Sorry if I seem to be ignoring email; I'm not, but Yahoo mail is hard to get into with an unreliable connection.

I'm still working on chapter 11, but if you want something to read until Monday, you could check out my short fic "Willow:Warrior Wiccan" on the Completed Fics Archive. It's my first fic and it's not as good as this one so please be gentle.

sammibackwards: Thanks, it's quite a compliment that you got registered to post feedback for my story!

Grimmy: Thanks for the links. I'll leave your questions to your imagination or future flashbacks. I will promise a more pragmatic Tara and a more idealistic Willow by the end though.

frumpycat: I'd define anti-hero more broadly as someone who subverts the traditional idea of a hero by achieving his or her goal without acting heroic. Willow could fit this broader idea.

Oh, one more story idea I had but almost certainly won't write: Willow as the Lady of Charm, with the reanimated Scoobies Slayer, Ripper, Moonbiter, Bloodsucker, Oracle, and well, I can't figure out who Xander would be, as her Taken.

--

"Omnia mutantur, nihil interit." -- "Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 8:37 pm 
LOL. That gave me my DMV fic fix ... but I still need a "Dark Rose" one :p

Willow: Warrior Wiccan was hillarious. I could totally picture that. I love the use the "You are you know, what, yours" lines with the sidekick comment. Too funny. Thanks for sending me there.

Still laughing.

--celia

---------------------------------

"That was just rude. Now I forget what I was saying."

Post subject: Chapter 11: Awakenings
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 12:12 pm 
Title: The Dark Rose - Chapter 11 (Awakenings)

Author: Dark Magic Willow

Email: darkmagickwillow@yahoo.com

Rating: R, mostly for violence, no explicit sex

Pairing: W/T

Spoilers: All episodes through the end of season 6 though this story takes place 18-19 years after the end of season 6.

Summary: Awakenings.

Magic Note: Magic, even dark magic, is not addictive in my universe, so there are no withdrawal symptoms and no dark magic dealers. Here Rack was a dark magic teacher who used his students, not a dealer. However, you can use too much magic and you can be corrupted by the power it gives you.

Disclaimer: I don't own any of the copyrights or anything else associated with BtVS. All rights lie with the production company, writers etc.

Acknowledgements: Thanks to Juli for showing me where to look, and to Amanda for letting me know what I was missing. Oh, and once again the title is Juli's though she suggested it for an earlier chapter and I grabbed it for this one. Really, I can think of my own chapter titles, just not for this section of the story.

The Dark Rose

Chapter 11: Awakenings

Willow awoke with the dawn, filled with a sense of anticipation that wouldn't let her sleep any longer. Today she was going out for coffee with Tara. It was their first daytime date. Or at least it was close enough to a date for her.

It was like waking early for Christmas. She'd always celebrated Christmas with Xander and later Buffy even though her parents had disapproved. There wouldn't be any unwrapping though. It was definitely too early for unwrapping. Actually, in some ways it felt like Halloween. The clothes that she had ordered yesterday would arrive this morning. After so long in black leathers, anything else felt like a costume.

Years of staying up long past dusk made the early morning light feel odd to Willow. The night was the time of sorcery. It was when the creatures of the night came out, when dark miracles became possible. Her memories belonged to the night, seeking such miracles in the shadows.

There was one dawn that stood out in her memory. She wouldn't have sought out Spike of her own accord. But there had been rumors of a vampire with a soul, one who wasn't Angel. She had tried adapting the spell that she had used to restore Angel's soul, but it hadn't worked for her with Tara. Nothing had. But she had to keep trying.

It had taken time to track down the rumors and to find to her surprise that they referred to Spike. It had taken more time to track him down to the catacombs near Rome. The eternal city had forbidden the burial of the dead inside its walls in ancient times so the early Christians had dug deep chambers outside the walls for their dead. She found the idea of a vampire lurking in the resting place of so many popes and saints ironic.

Hours passed as she walked through the narrow passageways past thousands of small niches in the wall, which carried the remains of the ancient dead. Little more than dust remained of most of them. The ceilings rose high above her, making space for more rows of grave niches high on the walls. It was an efficient use of limited space, but it also provided spaces for evil creatures to lurk.

She felt the presence of many vampires lurking in the safety of the eternal darkness, but none of them were Spike. She knew him though, and her magic would guide her to him through the maze of branching and twisting tunnels, no matter how deeply he buried himself.

Finally, she emerged into a small irregular chamber that was the junction of five tunnels. There he knelt in the darkness at a small shrine of broken white stones, murmuring to himself. Willow looked closer, her eyes able to pierce even this darkness where the sun had never shone. This wasn't the Spike she remembered. The black leather duster he always wore was gone, and he was dishevled, his clothes dirty and torn.

"Spike," she said sharply.

He looked up directly at her, but it was as if he didn't see her. He continued mumbling something repetitious under his breath. As she listened closer, she realized that the words were Latin. It sounded like a monastic chant. This definitely wasn't the Spike she remembered.

"Spike," she said again, more loudly this time. When he didn't respond, she slapped him with enough force to knock him to the floor.

Finally, his eyes focused on her. "Red," he croaked.

"How did you get your soul back?" Willow asked, speaking slowly and enunciating clearly. She had no desire to exchange pleasantries with the vampire. She just wanted to get her answer and get out of here.

"My soul?" Spike asked, then began cackling madly. The cackling turned into spasms of broken coughing. "You don't want my soul," he said once the spasms ceased. "I don't want my soul."

"I don't want your filthy soul, Spike," she said in an exasperated tone of voice, beginning to lose her patience with him. "Just tell me how you got it back."

"Ah," he said, understanding momentarily entering his mad eyes. "You want her soul."

"Yes," Willow said. "Now tell me."

"It won't help you, you know," he said in the high voice of a child. "You're like me now, all lost in the dark." He paused a moment, staring at her with blank eyes. "I can see, you know," he said in a more normal voice.

"Just - tell - me," Willow said, her fingers beginning to curl in the gestures that would compel the truth from him.

Spike threw back his head and laughed in response. Losing her temper, Willow reached forward to touch his forehead, her hand curled into a claw. Spike jerked convulsively at the contact, and she fell into the swirling chaos of his nightmare of guilt and pain. She saw Spike bite and kill victim after victim in an unending sequence, killing for the joy of it. Then she saw him go further, torturing for the fun of it when killing was no longer enough. She tried to avert her gaze, but the images and sensations of pain and death, the pleasure and guilt of inflicting both, were everywhere.

Gathering her strength, Willow thrust the nightmares away forcefully. Using the freedom that brought her, she burrowed through his mind single-mindedly seeking the knowledge of soul restoration. She saw his journey to Africa, and understood that he hadn't gone looking for his soul. He had intended to get rid of the chip that made him harmless, having chosen to be evil once again. Then she saw the cavern where he had endured tests of courage and fortitude, and at last what she sought--the dark creature who had given back his soul.

She had it.

On her way out of his mind, Willow fought through the black storm of guilt and fear. The dark currents of emotion tugged at her to focus on them, but as if through the corner of her eye, she saw the glint of something different. The storm raged harder, actively opposing her, as she pushed towards her discovery.

Her curiousity grew as she realized that Spike was trying to conceal this when evidence of innumerable terrible crimes was free to see everywhere around her. She forced her way through his barriers, and reached for the bubble of memory that he was attempting to hide, then opened it.

She saw Spike grabbing at Buffy, pushing her down, forcing her down to the floor where he straddled her, holding her arms down as she pleaded with him to stop. Her heart pounded as her blood surged with fear, anger, then finally relief as Buffy threw him off of her.

Her hand clenched into a fist as she pulled her fingers away from Spike's forehead and yanked herself out of his mind. After all they had done for him, he had betrayed the one he claimed to love in such an intimate way. Why had they ever refrained from staking him? He was a monster. He could never change.

Spike cowered away from her, feeling her fury even though he couldn't see her face. Then his attitude abruptly changed, and he struggled to his feet to stare at her defiantly. "You lost your heart, I lost my soul," he said. "It's all the same."

"We're nothing alike," Willow answered coldly. "I would never-"

"It won't do you any good to get her back," he taunted her with the mocking smile that she had always despised. "You've already fallen. It's too late."

"Spike," she said warningly, dark energies beginning to crackle at her fingertips. She had endured too much torment from him to meekly accept these accusations from him now. She had changed, and he would do well to recognize that.

"You're falling deeper even as we speak," he continued in a cocksure manner, ignoring her warning. "At least, I'm trying to reach the light with my soul."

Spike attempting to act noble after all he had done to her, to Buffy, was too much for Willow to accept. Her anger raged brightly within her, demanding retribution for all that he had done. He had to pay for his sins, and she was the very person to grant him justice.

"If it's light you want," Willow intoned. "Then it's light you'll receive." She extended one hand to the ceiling high above and cracked the ancient stone. The light of dawn shone down through the opening into a place that had never been so blessed before.

Spike burst into flames, screaming as the unexpected sunlight ate into his cold, undead flesh. He tried to flee from its brightness. Before he could escape death once more, she plunged a stake into his unbeating heart. The vampire collapsed into ashes and dust, truly dead at last.

Even as she destroyed the undead thing, she wondered if he had been right, if she had fallen too deep into the dark to ever get Tara back. She had buried the person Tara had fallen in love with so deep within herself. She couldn't be the sweet, kind girl who babbled and loved kittens and visit the places she had to go to. Had she buried that person too deep to ever find her again?

Could that girl have killed Spike without a second thought? He was a monster who had tried to kill them more than once, but he was also a person whom she had relied on and fought beside. Perhaps Spike wasn't a good example, but what about the Council of Watchers?

It had been self defence, but if she admitted the truth to herself there had been an element of revenge. Perhaps conjuring the true demon had been overkill. The Watchers' defences weren't of the same caliber of more modern institutions like Wolfram & Hart. She had experienced enough hurt when their wet works team had surprised her though so she hadn't taken any chances.

As she pulled herself out of her memories, Willow kept thinking about those same issues. Now she knew the old Willow was still within her, safely enshrouded within layers of protections as deep as the enchantments that protected her flesh. She could feel parts of her old self resurfacing, venturing beyond the security of her barriers, as she spent time with Tara. Old patterns of thought. Feelings and emotions. Dormant memories stored in skin and muscle.

Still, she wondered if she had lost any part of herself in the darkness. She had buried herself to protect and preserve herself from the pain outside, but had she pushed that self too far down to find all of what she had once been again? She worried too about what Tara would think when she learned about her past. Their past too. Tara didn't even know who she herself was. Willow had to tell her soon. But not today. Today was their first real date.

It was time for her to emerge from the shadows of night and see the world of the light again. She had spent too long there in the dark. She didn't feel ready, but it was time to resume her life, the life that she had buried so deep while she looked for the one whom she had lost. She didn't feel ready, but she was already making the choice that would return her to that path.

Today she chose Tara again.

Tara heard a knocking on her door. She didn't feel like answering it. She didn't feel like doing anything. One thought filled her waking moments: she was losing Willow. He had come back and Willow was going back to him.

She had gone to Willow's room to try to fight for her, to remind her of what they had shared together, but he had been there instead. She had already lost before she had begun. Tara sighed and got up to open the door.

Willow was standing outside, beautiful as always with her short red hair and shining green eyes. She said simply, "Hi."

"Hi." Tara moved back so Willow could enter the room, then closed the door behind them. She knew that Willow would come, to let her know that she had lost. Willow was a good person. She wouldn't leave Tara without telling her, but Tara wished she had because she couldn't bear to hear those words.

"I can only stay for a minute," Willow said. "I have class."

"Me too, I-I-I have class too," she stammered. She wished that she could just get through this one conversation without stammering.

"I just want you to know that what you saw this morning, it wasn't-"

"No, it's okay," she interrupted. "I-I always knew that if he came back-"

"We were just talking," Willow said. "Nothing happened."

"Oh," Tara smiled. Hope rose within her. There was a still a chance for her, for them. "Really?" she asked, unable to keep the eagerness out of her voice.

Willow nodded. "But, you know, it was intense. Just talking. We have a lot to talk about." She frowned and turned away from Tara. "I kinda feel like my head's gonna explode."

Tara struggled with her feelings, her new hope fighting with the despair that Willow's words brought crashing back to her. "Whatever, you know, happens ... I'll still be here. I'll still be your friend," she said, trying to reassure the woman she loved even as she felt her slipping away.

Willow turned back to face Tara. "Of course we'll be friends," she said, her voice full of turmoil, love, doubt, and fear all fighting to come out at once. "That's not even a question."

Tara wanted to be friends forever, but it would be so hard seeing them together. Even as she had said the words, she understood that while she would do anything for Willow, she couldn't stay here and watch them. "But I'm saying, I know what Oz means to you."

"How can you, when I'm not even sure?" Willow said. Her mouth was tight with stress, and her voice was sad and worried. "I mean, I know what he meant to me. But he left, and... everything changed. I changed, and... then we--"

"What?" Tara asked.

Tears welled up in Willow's eyes. "I don't know. I just", she said, then paused a moment. "Life was starting to get so good again, and --" Sighing, she moved closer to Tara, "You're a big part of that." The tears started to fall down her cheeks, "And here comes the thing I wanted most of all, and... I don't know what to do, I ... I wanna know, but I don't."

Tara looked sympathetically into Willow's face. She tenderly brushed the tears off Willow's cheeks. She knew the right thing to do even if it broke her heart. "Do what makes you ... h-h-happy." She almost couldn't get the last word out, knowing that she couldn't be happy without Willow.

Willow's face twisted, and she gave a little shake of her head as she entered Tara's embrace like a woman grasping for salvation in savage seas. Tara wrapped her arms around Willow, and held her as if it was the last time she would do so, gently stroking her beautiful red hair.

Then Willow was gone and Tara was left alone in her room, prey to all her doubts and fears. The light that emerged through her window gradually dimmed, the sun setting as she sat despondent in the chair by the bed, her arms folded over her knees as she looked out the window as if watching her last sunset. She didn't bother to get up and turn the lights on when the sun was finally down. Instead, she stared blindly into the empty darkness.

It didn't matter. All the light was being sucked out of her world. Why had she told Willow to do what made her happy? She should have told her that she could make Willow happy, that she would do anything to make her happy as long as she stayed with her.

Time passed with glacial slowness in the darkness.

Again, there was a knock on the door. Tara's heart leaped up fiercely. She chose me!, she chose me!, its triphammer beat pounded into her head. Tara told her heart to be quiet. Willow was just here to tell her that it was over and to get the few things she had left in Tara's room.

She got up to answer the door. Willow stood outside, the soft light of the candle she held illuminating the gentle beauty of her face. Tara could have wept to see such beauty, knowing that it was passing forever from her life, but she had run out of tears.

"No candles?" Willow said tentatively. "Well, I brought one. It's extra flamey."

Tara couldn't find any words and instead just stared at Willow, trying to burn her image into her memory before Willow left her life forever. Willow stepped forward and gave her the candle, closing the door behind herself.

"Tara, I have to tell you..."

Tara stopped her before she could say those terrible words Tara knew were coming. "No, I-I understand. You have to be with the person you l-love." Her voice was shaky with hurt and loss.

"I am," Willow smiled.

Tara couldn't believe that the love shining forth from Willow's eyes was for her. Her heart pounded rapidly again. Did Willow really mean what she thought she meant? Could she dare to hope? "You mean...", she asked.

"I mean," Willow said. "Okay?"

"Oh, yes," Tara breathed.

"I feel horrible about everything I put you through," Willow said. Her smile was brilliant as she looked at Tara; every word and every feeling was written on her face for Tara to read. "A-and I'm gonna make it up to you. Starting right now."

Tara started to smile, "Right now?"

Willow smiled and nodded.

Tara blew out the candle.

Tara woke up smiling, her heart still beating with the thrill and joy of her dream. She chose me! Willow chose me! It was the most wonderful feeling in the world. Then she shook her head, wrinkling her nose as the puzzlement hit her. Chose me over who? What was that name again? She couldn't remember. The details of the dream were slipping away from her as she returned to the waking world, but she held the most important part close to her heart.

Willow had chosen her.

It was just a dream, but it felt so real. It had to mean something that she saw Willow so vividly in her dreams. They shared a connection that was unlike anything she had ever experienced. She had never been in love before so she couldn't be sure what it felt like, but she had a feeling in her heart that she had never had before. She missed Willow when she wasn't with her, thinking about her all the time when she was awake and dreaming about her when she was asleep.

Did Willow feel the same way about her? That was the scary question. Willow had opened up to her in a way that she didn't think Willow had to anyone else. She wondered if Willow shared her dreams with her, if she experienced the same feelings and events that Tara did at night.

How could she ask Willow that though? They both knew about magic and monsters and the scariness of the night, but this was different. Despite her power, Willow felt fragile to Tara when it came to people and relationships. She might scare Willow away if she told her about her dreams.

Tara wondered about the source of her dreams. She'd had the first one before Willow had come to Sunnydale. Were they prophetic? The dreams had shown her what Willow looked like before she had seen that for herself, but the events in the dreams didn't match up with what had happened. Perhaps those events were things that would happen to them in the future, but that didn't make complete sense either because in the first dream it had felt like she didn't know Willow yet.

The dreams seemed more allegorical than prophetic. They hadn't met in a dormitory corridor while being chased by monsters, but they had been attacked by vampires in a cemetery that first time. While they hadn't cast the particular spells of her dreams together, they had worked together to cast other spells to break the darkness and defeat the Master. Were the dreams the reason she had felt a connection with Willow that first night? Was her heart able to recognize Willow in that moment even if her eyes could not?

Maybe Mr. Giles would know about this type of thing. Then she recalled his reaction to Willow's name and wondered again what that meant. Had they met before? Willow had talked about patrolling in Sunnydale and Tara knew that Mr. Giles had been in Sunnydale before but that was years ago. Mr. Giles never mentioned any personal details about his prior life in Sunnydale. Was Willow the reason or was it simply because he had lost his previous slayer?

She shrugged away her doubts. Today wasn't a day for doubts. It was a happy day, the day of their first real date. A day when she would see Willow in the light, a day in which they could be together without needing to worry about vampires or demons lurking in the shadows of night.

Today Willow chose her.

Giles woke up suddenly, raising his head from the pile of books on which it had been resting. He had it! He knew why Willow was here. He got up, absentmindedly massaging the back of his neck with one hand where it ached from sleeping in the wrong position, and walked to the bookcase.

Giles immediately began pulling down books on Indian religions and mythology from the middle shelf, getting both classics like the Bhagavad Gita and modern commentaries. Then from a lower shelf he took books on the cult of Pythagoras and Origen's On First Principles.

Pushing the papers on his desk to one side, he dropped the tall pile of books he was carrying on the desktop. He pulled the top book off the stack and began quickly searching quickly through it. Hours later, he pulled himself away from the books for a few minutes for a fast lunch, having already skipped breakfast. Just as quickly, he returned to immerse himself in the books again, pausing only to find more relevant texts on the shelves of his office.

The reddened rays of the setting sun found him still at his desk, skimming the last pages of a text. Giles closed the book firmly and took off his glasses to polish them. He had verified his hypothesis from this morning to the best of his ability. Everything he had read pointed him in the same direction.

Tara Lucas was Tara Maclay.

More precisely, she was the reincarnation of Tara Maclay.

He should have seen it before. It was so obvious. Perhaps he really had been hit on the head too many times, as Spirit had suggested to him in jest last night.

She shared so much with Tara Maclay in her quiet and calm personality, in her essential goodness, and she looked so much the same that they could be sisters which he had discovered to his surprise was not uncommon in cases of reincarnation. She even had the same first name as if fate were calling out to Willow to find her.

There were spells which would prove his case definitively, but he was convinced. If nothing else, Willow's interest in Tara was enough to make him certain. She had surely divined the truth of Tara's reincarnation and come here to Sunnydale to find her past love. But what had taken her so long? No matter, perhaps she was simply as surprised by the idea as he was and he had had Tara in front of his eyes for months without ever suspecting the truth.

What should he do though? He didn't doubt that Willow loved Tara more than anything in the world and would never willingly harm her, but she could hurt Tara deeply without intending to. This wasn't the Willow Rosenberg that Tara Maclay had met and fallen in love with.

This Willow had been the darkest of dark witches for nineteen years. She had abandoned her friends and everything else in her life for her dark quest. That she had originally been driven by devotion and love, he had no doubt, but he had firsthand experience with how much she had changed.

Yet couldn't Tara offer Willow a chance at redemption? If Willow could be a dangerous influence on Tara, then it also followed that Tara could be a positive influence on Willow. If anyone could bring Willow back to the light, it was Tara. Perhaps fate had brought them together for that very reason.

His first responsibility had to be Tara though. He had to protect her, but what exactly was it that he should do? Should he let her know about her past life or not? Telling her could create an expectation that she should have a relationship with Willow, that fate had brought them together in another life. But not telling her could let her fall in love with a woman who she should avoid, who would love her only for her past if she could still love at all.

Would telling her of the past free her from it or would it instead bind her more closely to it? Whatever he did would change her perception of her relationship with Willow, but would it change it in the right direction? Could he even be certain of what the right direction was?

Could he instead just tell her what he knew about Willow? He would have to leave out her name from Willow's life which would be difficult but not impossible. But what parts should he tell her? Just the dark times after Tara's death or should he be evenhanded and let her know how wonderful and sweet Willow had been in earlier times? She had truly been the best of them until she lost herself in dark magic and grief.

He still worried that some of Willow's darkness was his fault. He should have been more strict with her, but she had been so bright and talented and her heart was so good that he thought she could bear the burden of magic. She had surpassed him while still a schoolgirl.

He had relied on her too much though in the fight against Glory, but what choice had he? She had been the only thing between them and the end of the world so many times that he had forgotten that she was still so young and so fragile emotionally. When Glory had sucked Tara's mind, he should have known that she would go after Glory. Hadn't he done the same when Angelus had killed Jenny?

He should have stayed in Sunnydale that next year to guide her as he had guided Buffy. She had needed him and he should have realized that after their discussion about Buffy's resurrection, but he had been so focused on Buffy and her problems that he had ignored the more important issue of Willow's use of dark magic. He had thought that after Glory, Buffy and Willow could handle whatever evil the Hellmouth threw at them. He hadn't realized that with Joyce gone and Tara and he leaving for their different reasons that the group had lost its emotional core of stability.

He couldn't change what had happened. He had to decide what to do about Tara and Willow and he still had no idea what the right choice was.

--

Edited by: darkmagicwillow at: 12/10/02 11:36:14 am

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 12:59 pm 
*Gulp* Didn't expect to see that Willow dusted Spike!! Just what will she do with the knowledge she now has?

Tara's dreams, that was just the perfect place to put those.

And Giles finally realizing about Tara's soul in new Tara.

Great update!

BV

"In front of total strangers won't you kiss me, Flowers for no reason but you miss me - OOH, I wanna be in love"

Melissa Etheridge-Skin

Post subject: Chapter 11
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:15 pm 
Oooh, I really love what you did after the end of Willow's introspection about what happened with Spike. :grin Very nice.

And "Awakenings" is an apt choice for this chapter. All three are awakening to a new day full of choices.

Another fine chapter, DMW. :)

"We've got the only librarian who can rip off your arm with his leg. People respect that." - Terry Pratchett

Post subject: Chapter 11 comments
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:18 pm 
Hmm,

Spike really doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut now does he? Funny thing that, Willow killing Spike felt more evil then what she did to the council. She could have been a bit more friendly when asking Spike. Far less reason for killing Spike, just annoyance. I wont miss Spike though :D

As for Tara's dream... I hardly needed to read that, I kinda know that dialog rather well :) . It's almost all the W/T dialog from _New Moon Rising_ isn't it ? Still it's sweet to read, Tara indeed must have woken up rather happy :D .

Quote:

thought that after Glory, Buffy and Willow could handle whatever evil the Hellmouth threw at them

This reads a bit weird. Giles left when Buffy died jumping of that tower in _The Gift_.. so how would Buffy and Willow handle whatever ? True, Willow brought Buffy back but as I recall Giles didn't like that very much (_Flooded_, worst guidance attempt ever seen on TV). Glad he at least seems to realize they all used Willow as a big witchy gun so they are at least partly responsible for what followed.

I found it encouraging that Willow is thinking about her own actions and if she is really lost. I agree with her assesment of the CoW situation, of course, but it's nice to see she thinks about it (as opposed to coldhearted ignoring it). Yes, Willow has buried herself behind lots of fences/shields and not only of the magical kind. Maybe she needed that to get through the past 19 years, YoungWillow was always rather easily emotionally hit (hmm, must find better wording for that). It's nice to see she's aware of it and that she's letting her old self out again a bit.

The main question Giles should focus on is if Tara *needs* protection from Willow, nothing else gives him the right to interfere between those two. I wish he would keep his own problems with Willow seperate from whatever Tara decides to do with Willow. It's not like Tara can't make her own decision is it ?

Giles seems to think at some level Willow is not good for Tara, whoever appointed him her guardian I don't know. As such the information he'll give to Tara will be biased. I wonder how, if ever, he would tell Willow's life-story without mentioning Tara, if he tells about a girlfriend she met while fleeing from monsters in a dorm...heh...: -->>:

Giles is VERRRY slow on realizing newTara has something to do with oldTara isn't he ? It's not like she looks radically different, maybe Giles is really getting to old for this :)

Hmm, I can't figure out what time that coffee date is at. Which means I don't know if Tara will see Giles before that date or not. I hope not and that Willow tells Tara at least something first, though she doesn't seem intent on doing so. Willow doesn't know about Tara's dreams so she could trip up that way, heh...

Grimmy

Edited by: Grimlock72 at: 12/9/02 11:26:05 am

Post subject: Re: Chapter 11
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:36 pm 
Loved how this chapter started with Willow waking in such good form, rather than being torn from a nightmare as was previously the case. Though her thoughts soon turned to darker things, she still retained the excitement (which I always thought to be a true facet of Willow's character) at seeing Tara.

The parallel with Tara making a conscious effort not to dwell on seeking answers worked well.

Giles' dilemma as to what to tell Tara was interesting, in that it forced him to look at his part in Willow's downfall.

I happen to think mine is the level head,
and yours is the one things would roll off of.

Post subject: Re: Chapter 11 comments
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 3:11 pm 

Wow...geeze.. :)

This just gets better and better!! You describe all three characters so indepth as to what they are thinking/feeling and remembering and also their questioning of themselves, and the others.

I love this fic! I just get more and more into it every time I read an update! I really can't wait to see what happens~ :pray Update soon?

I can't wait for Willow and Tara's coffee date. I wonder if they will talk any about Willow's past/or Tara's dreams? And who will Giles confront first? I just hope that he has faith in Willow and that she's still good deep down and Tara can bring that out in her.

GREAT FIC!! GREAT UPDATE!!

Can't wait for more!! :bouce

~NICKOLE~

-------------

"Who wants to be ordinary? In a crazy mixed up world."

Post subject: Re: Chapter 11: Awakenings
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 3:44 pm 
First I want to thank you for posting on a Monday, in the morning no less! You post on holidays, you post on Mondays, and you are spoiling us.

I really like this fic, it's different, and I like the way you push things to the edge, like Willow dusting Spike. I agree with Grimlock regarding Spike not knowing when to keep his mouth shut. Spike seemed to know a lot about Willow's path, yet he was willing to be so damned obnoxious - not a place where I would want to be! But it is interesting to contrast Spike with Willow. With Spike's history, evil is an exact description, or maybe you could use him in the definition. So he has a soul now, history is full of evil people that supposedly had souls. And if he is not evil anymore, then at least he is no longer tortured with the memories of years spent hurting others. This Willow though I would say is right on the edge, but I wouldn't call her evil. Well, she did zap those monks, but we don't know much about them and I will give her any benefit of the doubt. I like her, I can't help it. If Tara does help Willow rely less on dark magic, and Willow's eyes return to their normal green, will Willow's memories bother her?

What's interesting to me is Willow does all these things, pulling out all the stops for years to do whatever it takes to find Tara, then Tara shows up in Sunnydale due to no effort of Willow's. In fact, all of Willow's journeys down the "dark side" could impede their reunion - or that's how the story seems to me so far. Willow did use magic to find out that Tara's soul was in Sunnydale, but if Willow had hung out in Sunnydale all those years, wouldn't she have found that out anyway?

I'm still much anticipating the Willow/Giles interaction. And the coffee date, which I was so hoping to get to today! (not complaining here, nope, definitely not!) Also interested in seeing what Spirit will think of Willow.

Oh, uh, regarding earlier comments by myself regarding a "Culture", I don't know where these ideas come from (well, a Mr. Banks is being looked at). We all know that the Earth is the center of the universe, there is no life outside of the Earth, blah blah blah. I've been told to "be a part of the solution, not part of the problem..." So, please accept my humble apologies for any misrepresentations as to uh, you know, certain things. I am just a librarian, a simple uh person with a penchant for swap meets and W/T fanfic, and I work in some library that's in uh some city somewhere. (Yes, that should do it. Oh, I'm getting good at this!) OK, perhaps we both know that things aren't always as they seem, but apparently "pretenses" have some value which exceeds my computational abilities to determine.

Anyway, please continue to do what you do so well! Your work is much enjoyed. I look forward to reading your next update.

Regards,

FlereImsaho

Post subject: Chapter 11 replies
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 4:13 pm 
Thanks kittens for all the feedback!

My internet connection is getting flakier by the minute. I'm not so sure about the joys of cable modems now that I'm experiencing them ... but here are some replies while I have a brief moment of time actually online.

tiredsoul: I'm glad you found W:WW funny. *G*

barnabasvamp: I'm glad I managed to shock you with the staking. I still wasn't sure about doing it until a few days ago. I'm glad you liked Tara's dreams.

LeatherQueen: Thanks for the suggestions; I'm glad it worked and gave you something new when you read the chapter again.

Grimmy: I understand. Though I think Spike deserved to die, perhaps not for what he failed to do, but definitely for what he has done in the past, you do know him and that makes his death more impactful than all the faceless people of the CoW.

NMR is one of my favorites, and perhaps the only episode of a TV show that's caused me to cry. It's true that you know the dialog, but it's not easy taking a scene like that and communicating the feelings and not just the words of the script. It is a writing exercise I would suggest to every aspiring writer on Pens though. I learned a lot from writing Tara's dreams, watching the episodes for the details of their faces and hands time and time again until I could describe them well enough for the reader to feel the scene the same way they could when watching the episode.

At least, I hope I'm writing them that well...

mollyig: I'm happy the parallels between Willow and Tara's awakenings worked for you, and yes, I also want Giles to take responsibility for his part in Willow's fall into darkness.

Silver: The coffee date will be in the next chapter so you won't have long to wait for your questions to be answered. Thanks. *G*

FlereImsaho: I don't think that gaining a soul brings automatic goodness either, as there are plenty of evil people out there with souls. I'm not sure how much Spike actually regretted things after his soul returned, either here or in season 7. I like to leave some things open for the reader, including why Spike wouldn't shut up. Perhaps he had a reason for saying those things.

--

Edited by: darkmagicwillow at: 12/9/02 2:15:13 pm

Post subject: Re: Chapter 11 comments
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 4:23 pm 
This was the first time that I paid any serious attention to the Ovid quote you use to end your chapters, and I think I know why. I was struck by both the number (Willow, Spike, Giles, both Taras) and, more especially, the quality of the transformations (metamorphoses?) – be they physical, emotional, psychological, temporal – that you evoke here. Or, to be more precise, the beginnings of transformations, since so much is still undetermined. “Awakenings” is indeed a very apt title (except, perhaps, for Spike!).

And it looks as if someone has finally bought Giles a ride on the clue canoe, although I wonder about his realization:
Quote:
His first responsibility had to be Tara though.
If we are talking about “first,” could it not just as easily be Willow?

SB

Post subject: Re: Chapter 11 replies
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 10:33 pm 
I hate to say it but it was surprising but I felt at least finally someone had the guts to do the right thing and stake spike. Willow certainly has a long way to go with her own soul but so far all her actions are kind of complicated, not clearly evil, or bad. She has her reason and these aren't necessarily good people. And Tara's memories seem more vivid now, and she's begun to form a history of w/t. I am glad Giles is not just out to hurt Willow that he sees the complex situation they are in.

And I love the echo of "I chose Tara" by Tara later. They are both aware of the huge importance of the "date" and of the echo of their past.

-------------------------------

Buffy?

Let's change it, the Discovery channel has koala bears.

Post subject: Re: Chapter 11 replies
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 10:39 pm 
Great update to a wonderful story. I love how Willow and Tara are both longing to share their knowledge & emotions with the other, but are simultaneously afraid of scaring her away. They're proceeding so gingerly with each other, but they're also hurtling towards one another on the same path. Amazing plotting. And Giles' perspective adds a lot, too, as he analyzes all the facets of the situation.

PS. Your description of the Roman catacombs was amazingly evocative--remarkable, since they're nearly impossible to describe.

"Why did I have to be so veiny?" -- Alyson Hannigan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:45 am 
DMW, an enlightening update! I think what struck a chord with me was Spike saying, ("You lost your heart, I lost my soul," as well as, "You've already fallen. It's too late."), especially when you add Willow's POV with her thinking, ("Still, she wondered if she had lost any part of herself to the darkness. She buried herself to protect and preserve herself from the pain outside, but had she pushed that self too far down to find all of what she had once been again?").

With this in mind, I think the taunting words of Spike hold some truth, in regards to the Willow he encountered in the catacombs. This "hardened" Willow is being driven in her consuming desire to resurrect Tara, and nothing is going to get in her way of achieving this goal. Thus, Willow will wield her power/"darkness" consequences be damned (ie as long as it doesn't negatively impact her goal in finding Tara). Here she has given herself over to the "darkness", and without her "heart" (ie Tara) I don't think this Willow would have the strength to find the path to the "light". However, in the present (although Willow still has some doubts), by interacting with Tara she is being reminded of feelings/emotions she has buried in order to "survive" (but she wasn't truly living). So yes her "darkness"/burden of the past is still with her, but having the tangible support of Tara, she is having her "awakening" with "Today she chose Tara again" (ie Willow's realization that in order to have a true relationship with Tara she must venture into the "light", a "light" with the help of Tara is coming more to the surface).

Loved how you captured NMR scene(s) with Tara's dream, their emotions were so palpable to me. And I loved how the feeling of ("Willow had chosen her.") carried into the now with the prospect of their "date" as she thinks, ("Today Willow chose her."). In other words, she knows how in some ways Willow is quite "fragile", but this "date" is a step in the right direction, giving her a sense of hope for what's to come (ie them becoming closer). And even though, she has questions, for now Tara is content to just revel in the moment, their "date".

Lastly, I'm glad Giles didn't easily dismiss Willow as being "evil" with no hope of redemption. Or in other words, looking at the matter from all angles/both sides especially with him thinking, ("If Willow could be a dangerous influence on Tara, than it also followed that Tara could be a positive influence on Willow.). Also found significant that Giles is taking some responsibility in regards to Willow's "darkness" (ie not taking an active role in "guiding her"/etc). Although, this isn't going to deter Giles from taking it upon himself to "protect" Tara, and therefore, with Willow deciding to hold back her secrets/past for a little while longer, I look forward to seeing who "spills the beans" first (ie whoever tells her first, the "news" will come from that persons POV, and thus will/may result in a different reaction depending on how/who shares the information). Can't wait for the next part, especially W&T's "date"!

Edited to add that just as Willow willingly gave herself over to the "darkness" due to her pain, as well as her single-minded goal in bringing back Tara, I think by the same token she can't ONLY rely on Tara in order to find the "light". Meaning, Tara can show her the way (be a support system), but in order to truly come back from the "darkness" she has to want to do it for herself as well (ie not "changing" because she thinks this is the way to get Tara back).

Edited by: VampNo12  at: 12/10/02 1:20:46 am

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 2:08 am 
What a great update!!

I am sure that Tara can lead Willow back to the light! They always find each other! :bounce

Stef :p

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 4:55 pm 
Aww. I really like Giles in this chapter. He recognizes that Willow is capable of love and may be redeemable but still his loyalty lies with his friend Tara. I can’t wait for Giles to meet Willow again. I wouldn’t be surprised if he understood Willow’s current motives and would take an active hand in her redemption.

As for Giles or Willow speaking to Tara first about Willow’s past I don’t think Giles can tell Tara much that Tara hasn’t already surmised. Tara already knows this Willow is dark as all heck and she knows from her dreams this wasn’t always the case. It doesn’t look like he knows much of Willow’s dark period anyway beyond a few cataclysmic events and the pre dark Willow he knew is no more. I don’t see Willow rushing to volunteer details either, fearful of Tara’s reaction “oh, immolated a bunch of people, destroyed the CoW and you?” I can see Tara knowing what questions to ask to put Willow at ease, eventually drawing Willow's past out from her.

Poor Spike. Oh well, didn’t look like his redemption was working out anyway. Looks like Willow is not as cold and calculating as she appeared in previous chapters (with the fury against Spike going on in this one). Does this mean she still felt for the Scoobies during her dark quest (ie was she angry about what Spike did to Buffy or was she angry at his hypocrisy)? From her past actions she didn’t seem to go out of her way to deviate from her goal in finding Tara, but here it appears she was up for some retribution when the opportunity presented itself against someone who had hurt her friends (ex-friends?) in the past .

Looking forward to the next installment, especially since it will answer the most intriguing question of all; just what does the most powerful, darkest witch in the world wear on a first date? ;)

Edited by: frumpycat at: 12/10/02 3:36:48 pm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 6:56 pm 
Another excellent post!

Finally, someone who wasn't afraid to dust Spike! Yes, Willow did it from a place of rage, but it needed to be done, often and in public.

I liked the parallels in this part. Willow is discovering herself, Tara is discovering her past, and Giles is finally coming to terms with his. Very well done!

I'm looking forward to the next update! Coffee usually leads to future goodness.

hermitstull

"Stinky herbs are a go." Cordelia in Becoming pt. 2

"Oh, poor Watcher. Did your life pass before your eyes? Cuppa tea, cuppa tea, almost got shagged, cuppa tea?" Spike, Barganing pt. 1

Xander: "What's with the hand move? Does that like mean something?"

Willow: "It's code. I think it breaks down to 'choo-choo'." Fool for Love

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:44 pm 
Is it wrong to be happy that Spike's dead? Well, I am. :) And she'd flamed him and staked him. I liked how you dealt with her thoughts after that though. Could that Willow that she once was have done what she had?

Quote:
Today she chose Tara again.

Five words that said sooo much. And then folloiwing it up with Tara's thought was awesome.

I liked the insight into what Giles was thinking. He has quite the dilemma. You've got me on the edge of my seat. Thanks. It's a good place to be.

--celia

---------------------------------

"That was just rude. Now I forget what I was saying."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 6:38 am 
I :love this fic....

It's giving me ideas : -->>: :hmm :willow &:tara but yet not... stroking beard time

Post subject: Re: FIC: The Dark Rose
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 8:07 am 
I do like what you've added here, especially in the scene with Willow and Spike; I'm with the others in being glad that someone finally killed him off. In this context, it worked. I appreciated seeing Willow reflecting on her own divided-ness the way we have been reflecting on it lately: is she the same girl she was? Can she be that girl again? Who is she now? As always, great. I love seeing the flashbacks click together.

I also thought that Giles' section here was really well done; he figures things out and helps us figure things out without ever stepping out of his role as a character.

Oh, and I should have mentioned....last time when I said there were two stories here, I should have sadi there were three. There is also the story you're telling of canonical season 4, Willow and Tara getting together. What I really like about the way you write those scenes is that you don't add to them; you let them exist as they were on-screen; you capture them. Lovely.

"And I'm eating this banana. Lunchtime be damned!" -- Willow in "Doppelgangland

Post subject: More Chapter 11 replies
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:59 pm 
It's snowing lightly outside as I'm writing this. Chapter 12 is off to the betas so I can enjoy the quiet of the snow though I'm sure they'll find much for me to do before I can post. Oh, and I just noticed we just broke 10,000 views on the thread. Coolness.

It looks like Spike's demise was more of a shock than I'd expected. It wasn't the easiest thing for me to do. Spike is one of my favorite Buffy villains, and after a rough start in season 4, I was able to accept and like him as one of the gang in season 5. Then came season 6 and we all know what happened then. I'll talk more about Spike in some of the individual responses below.

Talk to you again soon for the coffee date in chapter 12, "Once More."

Sister Bertrille: The Ovid quote is actually not part of the story though it does fit it; I sign all my Kitten messages with it. It's a comment about Tara's death and Pens of course. I'm impressed that you identified the source of the quote--the Kittens are an amazingly well read and educated group.

That said, you're right, this chapter heralds the beginning of several transformations. Even Spike awakened to the light of dawn and the knowledge that he could never survive embracing the light.

xita: I'm glad the memories seem vivid; Tara's building a history, but she's missing so much. The ethics of Willow's actions are grey and complicated like you say, but you're right that she's not evil, more lost in the shadows than anything else.

ruby: Thanks so much. The early stages of a relationship are so scary even when you don't have all the history that they do together. Have you seen the catacombs too?

VampNo12: You have a knack for picking up on my favorite lines from the chapters. Spike wasn't in the first draft, but I realized that his path through the darkness has some parallels to Willow's as well as some significant differences.

Thanks for your compliments on the NMR scenes. And yes, Willow will have to save herself, but she will have Tara to light her way.

deixs: I promise, when the darkness seems deepest, Tara will find Willow. She always can.

frumpycat: It took Angel decades to come to grips with his soul and even then without Whistler he probably never would have. Redemption isn't easy. As for Willow, she may not want to admit it, but she does remember and love her friends of old. Regarding your question, he next chapter will start with Willow pondering just that.

hermistull: It took me a while to decide to dust him, but it felt right in the end.

tiredsoul: No, it's definitely okay. I think he had his chances to be good and lost them of his own accord. I'm glad I've got you at the edge of your seat. I'll try to keep you there.

Hey, where's my Kali update? Did you stay up chatting instead of writing? (-;

the vamp nurd: Hmmm...what kind of ideas?

Tulipp: You're right about the three stories. That's one of the things I'm realizing that I'm missing in some of my other story ideas--another thread to braid into the primary story. It really helps make a story in a way I can't describe yet. Your feedback really helped me understand that here, and also in your own Terra Firma with how you intertwined the story of Dawn's keyness with Tara's return.

--

Edited by: darkmagicwillow at: 12/12/02 11:45:01 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 629 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 21  Next