The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Taddy, and more~
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 2:47 am 
Wow, that was awesome and so sweet. I loved the proposal and "Taddy". Aww. :love :heart

Loved it!! :applause

s79

I look at horses and I see really big ponies.

The greatest thing you'll learn, is just to love and be loved in return.

Post subject: Re: Taddy, and more~
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 3:34 am 
Simply, adorable. Thanks for this DW

"Love is just like breathing when it's true" Indigo Girls

Post subject: Re: Epilogue Part A
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 5:07 am 
Hey DW,

Well, when you say it's a short fic, you really work on that don't you? I mean way to wrap up (or the first part of the wrap up). Personally, as a writer I find it so much more interesting to write the meet/fall in love part than the end that it makes perfect sense to me. And you do a very good job of placing scenes that give us a sense of time passing and their connection throughout. Very well done. And the update is filled with happy and sad times: Josh speaking, the proposal and wedding, Tara's dreams.

And I found the part of Tara's unfulfilled dreams very sad. To think that she's missing that dream and to have Willow know that is painful to read. And I wonder, will having a child actually fulfill Tara's dream of Greenwich Village? Or is it just another dream that will take it's place. I forget, did she want to paint? Can't she paint here?

Well done. Debra

Oppose the Federal Marriage Amendment

Post subject: Re: Epilogue Part A
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:18 am 
Hi DW the update was wonderful. I particularly loved that Willow was counting the days she was with Tara that led up to the proposal and what a great proposal as well :) The first word scene was wonderful, it was a sweet image you gave us of the affection between Willow and Tara and Josh waiting patiently for his soup between them. And soup. What a brilliant choice of first word. I look forward to part B to see how this story ends. Thank you for sharing it with us.

So, the day started and I knew my name and had my pants on. So far, so good. Yay.
Amber Benson

Post subject: Replies
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 9:17 am 
Replies:

Always E -- Wow! Two replies in one day!! I'm feeling so spoiled :D Glad to hear all is well at the homestead. Sorry to hear about the puppy's paw. If I am thinking of the right puppy, hasn't this been an ongoing problem for her? Hopefully with surgery it will bring her some relief. Happy I could lighten your day after a long meeting. Goodness knows I know all about long meetings. Having had been in a few myself. Got the official dates for Texarkana Waltz, btw... the location has changed, we aren't at NTC anymore, we got a better deal using the black box at CCSN Cheyenne... Anyway, our dates have been pushed back from July to August. We now are running August 26 through Sept 11... ack, yes, I know, I know.. I am expecting the house to be devoid of anyone at our close... it just means we'll have to make up for it with the rest of the run. Anyhoo, Mr. "Lighting-fixture"'s number does not seem to be working. Would you mind dropping me a line with a different way of getting in touch with him? And the reason I am saying all of this here, is because I can't seem to get your email addy to work either... hmmmm... Cheers!!

veiled isis moon -- Phew!! Glad I didn't confuse you. I was a "tetch" worried that I was moving things forward a bit too fast... but...epilogues are sortof supposed to wrap stuff up so.... yay, it worked! And as for this:
Quote:
Oh, and they want another baby!
Well... we know that Tara apparently does... but does Willow? We'll need to wait and see.

justkazy -- Thanks! Yep, it's wait and see time.

Shy One -- Good questions! All will be answered in the conclusion.

wimpy0729 -- You know I sat there and stared at my screen after I had written that line about love and the human heart... and even I was like... yeah, that's good. LOL. So I'm glad you agree with me :D

AntigoneUnbound -- Mary, your feedback is so thoughtful and kind. Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed "Taddy". That actually just sort of spilled onto the page as I was writing. I can't claim any great inspiration for it except that it just made a cute sort of sense. As for the proposal... you know... I think I should just sit down and write a book for you and call it "DW's Guide to Cavity-Inducing Romance" I'll fill it with loads of helpful ideas and scenarios... and we can both pray together that one day each of us will be in a position to utilize them. Why is it I seem to be so good at writing this stuff, yet I can't score a date to save my life? Siiiigh. Such is the life of the lonely romance novelist, I guess. I can imagine with perfect clarity everything I'll apparently never have... okay...depressing myself now... I'm going over .... here.

sam darls, snuggle79 and mollyig -- Thank you!!

JustSkipIt -- Yep, I said short fic, and I'm stickin' to it :) I agree with you... when I am writing a meeting/falling in love story, that's all I am really concerned about. Once I've got them ensconced in happy romance, the story is pretty much done, for that was really the point of it. Best to wrap it up quickly after that. Tara's unfullfillment is a major point of concern for Willow. She realizes that even though Tara's dream of Greenwich was most likely frivolous at best, it's still a huge part of her and she gave that up to be with Willow and Josh. Tara admitted to not wanting to be a careworker all her life, and as of this point in the story, she's sort of been resigned to it. Of course she can paint anywhere, but the idea of Greenwich and the lifestyle there is more the driving point behind her dreams than the actual painting itself. You make a good point in wondering if Tara's desire for another child is merely a salve for an old wound. Something to calm the flight response to being "penned-in". Perhaps... but also, perhaps not. The conclusion will hopefully provide more answers. But I can guarantee, that as far as being with Willow goes, Tara isn't going to leave her.

Puff -- Soup is just a great word, I had to use it for Josh's first. It's actually really tough coming up with first words. Especially in this case. It had to be easy, but understandable and still recognizable as something other than a simple vocalization. I'm admittedly very happy with how the scene turned out. I was a tad concerned it was going to read a little too saccharine. But yay, it didn't. Woot!

Cheers

DW :pride

Post subject: Re: Replies
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 10:35 am 
Having read this story more than once, I must say that it truly captures the love and devotion that Willow and Tara share for each other, not to mention Josh. And now, to possibly add another baby to it would be interesting. I can not wait to see how this all turns out. Please do not keep us waiting too long. This is a beautiful fic and hopefully you will decide to write something else in the way of short stories. Wonderful update, DW.

~Mikaelah

Willow: "Where would you go? If you felt lost and alone? ..."

Tara: "To You..."

~~Truly and Forever~~

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 11:05 am 
I loved this part. The way "Taddy" asked Willow to marry her was so sweet. :heart

*lil´c*

"Okay, we’re here, we’re queer, let’s kick this shit into gear," Five by Five (Taras Shadow)

SweetAmber

Post subject: wow
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 12:05 pm 
DW, that was simply amazing... like the others I can't wait for Part B... this is a lovely, sweet, short and simple story... I just hope that some day I can write half as well as u manage to, time after time.

Cheers, Sheba.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 1:34 pm 
I had to smile at Willow counting the weeks between her meeting Tara and the marriage proposal. I can so imagine her counting and remembering those first few weeks with Tara still being there.

It's sweet of Tara she doesn't want to impose her desires (well, her OTHER desires, heh :) ) on Willow. On the other hand, Willow can tell something isn't entirely right and I doubt she'll rest before that is fixed ;-). I can easily see Tara teaching children for the rest of her life, though she herself has stated thats not her goal. When possible get a job you feel like doing, such a job as Tara has now seems rather demanding to me (always wonder how my sisters copes with it :) ).

You certainly do wrap up a lot of stuff quick, could easily have seen lots of things expanded more. Then again, you did promise a short story :) . Interesting setup though, got to give you lotsa points for that alone :lol . I guess I would have been happy either way, easily pleased over here.

I was happy when Josh uttered his first word. Not that the word itself is all that important, but at least he can express himself a bit better/easily now. Good to read he has mild version of CP, nice reading that Tara was there with them too.

Grimmy :wave

--
"You hurt Tara," Willow said too calmly. "The last one who tried that was a god. I made her regret it." -- Unexpected Consequences by Lisa of Nine

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:24 pm 
Ok, I'm gonna try to make this intelligent.

First of all, I adore this fic. I think the extra information about Josh really makes it realistic. It isn't just some kinda of magical thing or whatever. It's true, it's real. I like that a lot.

I also really like that you've made the whole Willow and Josh relationship real. Yes, she has very bad days, yes, she's sometimes exasperated, but she loves her son. And I think that shines through.

Tara's character is just great. She loves Willow, loves Josh, but isn't a wo-dimensional one. Though she has a family, she still has some things she wants to have in life. So true to life.

I really love Josh. I love that his first word is soup. I've noticed that i your fics, it's never a word like "mama" or something. Beer, Up, and now Soup.

Also, it's normal that everyone would be happy for Josh's first word. It's not the word that counts, it's the fact that he said it.

The proposal was soo great. It's an unusual way, but it's soo heartfelt that it's even more romantic. And I just awwed at Taddy.

All in all, I love it! :grin

-------------------

"See? I've mastered this tact crap." Anya in Tears Of The Goddess by Lisa

The course of love doesn’t always run smooth, especially for the neurotic and accident-prone. ~ LadyB

.:Dark-bliss.net :. .:Blink.Flash.Sparkle.:. .:My blog:. .:Blood and Ink:. .:Washi's 70s Site:.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 6:44 am 
Hey DW,

Wow....this story is amazing....I love everything about it...there is such depth to each character and it definitely pulls on the old heart strings....

I loved the "Taddy"....that was incredible....

You have an amazing gift and it is wonderful that you use it to bring stories like this to life...I'm eagerly awaiting part B...

Thank you for sharing this story...

WillowFever

:peace

:pride

Post subject: More Replies
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 9:27 am 
More Replies :D :

Mikaelah Braenna -- One thing that I always work very hard to realize in all of my W/T stories is the deep and abiding affection the girls have for one another and their family. This is not necessarily as easy as it sounds. The difficulty comes in avoiding the easy trap of cheesy and precocious "wuv" (thank you, Elmer Fudd). I am glad that you are enjoying this story enough to read it again and again. Makes me feel like I'm doing something right. Thanks!!

littlecrazy80 -- Thanks!

Sheba -- Thank you. As I have said before, I think the secret to writing is just continually trying to challenge yourself. To overcome obstacles I think is really the only way to grow. I just stumble along, really and compared to some of the other authors on this board *cough, cough, MARY, cough, cough* I'm really nothing special :)

Grimlock72 -- It takes a very special kind of person to do the work that Tara does. It's why she is able to continue doing what she is doing, despite it not being what she had always imagined herself to be. Probably the same reason why your sister is able to do what she does as well. Such people are a rare breed of human and should be cherished just as much as the people they serve.

Washi -- I'm glad that you like the realism of this story. That is something I always strive to bring out in my stories, the reality of it all. As for first words... I avoid "mama" and "dada" like the plague. Too obvious, too cutesy, too predictable. Plus, none of the children I know (including myself) have said "mama" or "dada" as their first word because first words are usually one-syllable. It's really tough coming up with first words, there is actually alot of thought that goes into the process, so I'm glad that you enjoy my choices.

WillowFever -- Thank you :) :)

Okay, Part B won't be posted for a couple more days because I have alot of RL stuff going on this week. My mom's B-day is tonight, then tomorrow I have a production meeting and Friday I have another meeting... But Saturday I should be able to dedicate time to finishing and posting. Thanks for your patience.

Cheers

DW :pride

Post subject: Re: More Replies
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 11:21 am 
Just caught up with this.

Absolutely gorgeous, from start to finish. Can't wait to hear the conclusion!

cheers,

mo.

No matter how short life may seem, it's still the longest thing you'll ever do.

Post subject: Re: More Replies
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 5:07 pm 
DW, So sorry for taking so long in my response. I can only state the truth, I was out of town, and finally recovered enough from the flu today to sign on.

The update is amazing. I will never be able to look at the word "soup" the same way again. Cliched I know, but I speakith the truth. The happiness radiates from that scene wonderfully. It was really like getting to peer in on the family having dinner, to share in a private and special moment.

The way you opened the Epilogue, magnificent. I had been wondering how you were going to handle the transition. As you had set yourself up with no small task. I need not have worried, you came through once more with something amazing, and unexpected. It was perfect, you switched paces so smoothly, and just enough to make it both fit, and be enjoyable to read.

Tara proposing through JJ was cute, and endearing. It made my heart swell with warmpth. The comment that you put in about how the small ring meant so much, the gesture making the moment all that more special. It brought tears to my eyes. Of course, your stories always evoke that kind of emotion.

And finally, leaving off with Tara asking Willow how she thinks JJ would feel about having a baby brother. It leaves me with a great sense of wonderful anticipation. Once again you have managed to direct my attention one way, and then change it at the last moment. When I started to read the scene, it saddened me. I thought Tara was going to want to go back to her former life. That being married to Willow, and having JJ as a son was not enough. And there you went pulling a switch again. Tara wanted a larger family, not to go back, but to build on what she and Willow started so many years ago.

You have a great talent, DW, you can direct readers' attention where you want it. Evoke the emotions you wish to, pulling on our heart strings when need be. You truely have your finger on the emotional pulse of readers. I look up to you greatly, and cannot wait to see what you write next. As always, I am eagerly awaiting your next update.

Blessed Be,

Sarah

Post subject: Re: Nukie = Dookie
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 4:28 pm 
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've checked, and I'm safe: "Nukie" has never been released in France! Phew!

Best wishes to your muse, may she recover soon ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 4:36 pm 
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

I read the entire review and have never laughed that much. EVER :lmao :lmao

I found a trailer for this movie, is anyone's looking to become raving mad:

Nukie Trailer

It made me laugh. :lmao :lmao

Don't worry about your muse DW, it'll be back. :wink

-------------------

"See? I've mastered this tact crap." Anya in Tears Of The Goddess by Lisa

The course of love doesn’t always run smooth, especially for the neurotic and accident-prone. ~ LadyB

.:Dark-bliss.net :. .:Blink.Flash.Sparkle.:. .:My blog:. .:Blood and Ink:. .:Washi's 70s Site:.

Post subject: Nukie = Dookie
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 4:56 pm 
You're all probably wondering where the update is. Fair enough. My muse isn't talking to me right now. It's a little (okay ALOT) pissed off at me because I have done something horrible. I watched "Nukie".

Picture this: it's your twenty-first birthday. For twenty-one long years you've been good - you've never had so much as a drop of alcohol. You pick up your best friend in the new car you bought to commemorate this new chapter in your life, and the two of you head to a bar. You toss back a few drinks, share some laughs, and have a great time. Then you and your best friend get back into the car. You realize that you're a little tipsy but you don't think you're too drunk to drive. On the way home, you swerve a little bit, but since the roads are empty you don't pay any heed. As you turn onto your street, a woman and a dog dart into the road. You try to avoid them but end up hitting them both and crashing your car, sending your best friend flying through the windshield. You are unharmed, but as you crawl out of the wreckage you see that the woman and the dog are both dead... and that the woman was your girlfriend and the dog was your dog. There's nothing more you can do for them, so you rush to your best friend's side. He's mortally injured and he asks you to come closer. You take him in your arms and his blood flows all over you. In his final breath he tells you that he has AIDS and now you do too. Despite all this, you have nothing to complain about because you fucking haven't seen "Nukie." Watching this movie was the most painful experience of my life. I should mention right up front that this monstrosity has a PG rating which only serves to prove that it is a deliberate attack on our children and their precious brains. I'd say that I hate director Sias Odendal with all my might, but the blame really falls on the shoulders of screenwriter Benjamin Taylor. Well, except that the script was based on an original story by director Sias Odendal, so it actually is his fault after all. That's just as well because I was going to blame him anyway.

The horror begins with a couple dumb click-n'-drag lens flares moving awkwardly in front of a outer space-themed clipart. It is the most visually appealing moment in the entire movie. I say "visually" because you still have to endure the voices of Nukie and Miko, two alien brothers who are traveling as balls of light. The voice acting is one of this movie's worst aspects, in that it not only made my ears bleed but it actually caused the rivulets of my blood to sprout ears and then made those ears bleed. Nukie and Miko have identical voices and they both sound like a retarded British orphan shouting into a tin can. As they approach Earth, Nukie is frightened because of "the wind and water." Miko, however, is having a great time. They both get sucked in by the Earth's gravitational pull and crash. Not so fun now, is it, Miko, you little shit? We cut to the "Space Foundation," which we know is the Space Foundation because whenever there is a cut to it we get to see the exact same shot of a some building while a narrator explains that nothing of any importance is happening. The narrator has a great speaking voice - a lot like Leonard Nimoy if someone punched him in the throat for an hour or four. Inside, two technicians, played by actors who didn't quite make the cut at the "Mr. Ice Cream Man" auditions, make incredibly vapid comments about two UFOs on their radar screens. At this point I'd like to take a moment to explain the computer setup over at the Space Foundation (note that I didn't say "NASA." Sure, they may use equipment, vehicles, and uniforms with the NASA logo on them, but this is a different organization altogether). The control center is a bunch of monitors that are programmed for one of two functions:

1) Flash totally useless information and random phrases that no government organization would ever need their computers to display,

2) Flash lights constantly until everyone in the audience has seizures and swallows their tongues, so they can't tell anyone else how awful this movie is.

All of this is regulated by the Electronic Digital Data Intelligence, EDDI (get it? It's like the name! How delightfully plagiarized). Like all things that shouldn't in this movie, EDDI speaks fairly regularly. Its voice is much like the narrator only with a metallic effect added. Oh wait, he sounds EXACTLY like the narrator with a metallic effect added! The brilliant technicians deduce that the first ball of light, Miko, is going to land somewhere over Miami or possibly California. Part of the difficulty they have telling the difference may stem from the fact that the light ball, which appears to be about two feet in diameter, appears on their radar as approximately the size of Canada. Miko lands and they pinpoint his location to Miami Beach, where the Space Foundation is conveniently located. Moments later, they pinpoint the location of the second light ball, Nukie, to all of Central Africa. Their satellites are powerful enough to say exactly where Miko landed, and later actually bring up visuals of specific individuals on the other side of the globe, but they can't narrow Nukie's location down any further than Central Africa. Brilliant, just brilliant. As an alarm sounds, signified by all of the computer screens flashing "alarmalarmalarmalarmalarmalarmalarmalarmalarmalarmalarmalarmalarm," Space Foundations agents drive somewhere in cars that are inexplicably marked "NASA Security." Presumably, they are at Miami Beach, although it could just be an alley. The technicians alert the head researcher, a fat, bald idiot named Dr. Glynn, who calls Dr. Eric Harvey and tells him to hop the next plane to Central Africa to find the mysterious ball of light. The search shouldn't take long; it's not like Africa's a huge continent or anything. The crappy narrator explains that the Space Foundation has captured Miko and they are holding him as part of the top secret "Project: Lightball." One more time, that's "Project: Lightball." That's your tax money at work. Also, by "captured" I mean "put Miko inside a storage closet full of plastic tarps and gave him tranquilizers."

But this is a movie about Nukie, after all, so we cut to the little freak himself. He's laying among a pile of rocks in the dark. Unfortunately, he gets up, allowing us all to see his hideousness. As if his voice wasn't bad enough, Nukie looks like something that would have come out of Jim Henson's Creature Shop if Jim had suffered a massive stroke and irreparable brain damage. He's ugly enough as it is, but he gets exponentially more disgusting to behold when he gets wet. Luckily he only gets wet when he cries, and he only cries when he's sad, and he's only sad for eleven-tenths of the movie. Then his nose runs like a mucousy Victoria Falls, creating a Hitler moustache of revulsion that is only made worse by the streaks of ugly that run across his bloated face from his torrential tears. Nukie communicates with Miko by bouncing sound waves off the moon (seriously). Their conversation goes thusly:

Nukie: "MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKOOOOOOOO!"

Miko: "NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKIEEEEEEEEEE!"

(Repeat four hundred times.)

Poignant exchanges like that comprise roughly half the dialogue in "Nukie." Most of the other half is made up of, the quotes "bad god" and "there's nothing unusual here, Dr. Harvey." Nukie wanders around for a while, explaining sixty times that he has to find Miko, then bitches and moans about it being too dark on Earth. And so he begins his central quest to piss off all of Africa. Meanwhile, back at the Space Foundation, the scientists discover that Miko is communicating with someone by detecting the signal on their "X-ray scanner." Yes, apparently sound now travels on X-rays. This movie blows. Just to pound that point home, the scientists ponder if Miko is an animal, vegetable, or mineral while simultaneously monitoring his heartbeat, breathing, and brainwaves. Damn those tricky rocks and their infernal heartbeats! This does raise an interesting question: why did they give him tranquilizers if they didn't know he was an animal? Oh, right, the whole "movie blowing" thing. I forgot. Fortunately, Dr. Glynn happens to mention that Miko is American property, prompting Miko to tell Nukie that he is in America.

Like a superball in a rubber room, we bounce back to Africa, but now it is daytime. Nukie stands on a hilltop, staring directly at the sun, bitching and moaning about it being too bright. If you don't hate him yet, you will. He runs across a variety of animals and tries to talk to them all in English. The giraffe and rhinos don't talk (incidentally, the rhinos "moo"...that's right, they moo!), but the lion and baboons do. It's a good thing lions and baboons aren't stupid mutes like that fucking giraffe. The "baboon king" tells Nukie that his cousin Charlie, who lives among the humans, might be able to help him find America. Stupidity continues to ensue.

We then cut to the Space Foundation at 2:30 AM. Two scientists, Pamela Carter and Jim Connolly, have an utterly pointless conversation about absolutely nothing. This scene is the biggest waste of time since the Great Time Waste of 1949. Then, once again, we head back to Central Africa. The camera angle is slightly crooked. This bears mentioning because is it essentially the one and only shot in the entire movie that is not shot from the same straight-on angle. Tiko and Toki, two young twin brothers in loincloths, wander on camera. Luckily, like aliens, lions, and baboons (but not those damn giraffes or mooing rhinos), the twins speak perfect English. Nukie approaches them and explains that he comes from the stars. The twins run the hell away from him, securing their place as the most intelligent characters in the film. Nukie bitches and moans about being tired or being drunk or bloated or whatever is the current flavor of the hour. Back at the Space Foundation, Dr. Glynn dukes it out with the other scientists for the bad acting heavyweight title. He wins. By a lot. The competition is crushed by his nonsensical blathering over the fact that Miko is "dreaming about zebras."

Nukie combines two of his biggest crowd-pleasers and bitches and moans about being tired and about it being too bright... at the same time! The action just doesn't slow down with "Nukie!" Being the horrible space creature of action that he is, Nukie decides to go to sleep. As soon as he passes out, his body glows and then becomes invisible for no explicable reason. Unfortunately he becomes visible again a few seconds later, dashing my hopes for a Nukie-free "Nukie." He wakes up and is so overjoyed that his "lightbeam transformer" is working again that he immediately turns into a spastic ball of light and zips around, shouting about how amazing it is to be flying a couple feet off the ground. I don't know how exhilarating it could really be considering that at the start of the movie he was flying through outer space. He then discovers water, which he clearly identified in the first six seconds of the movie, but now he doesn't know what it is. And what do we do when we don't know what something is, kids? Be like Nukie, and put it in your mouth!

In the village of Urapi, Sister Ann, the most evil missionary in the world, chats as slowly as humanly possible with someone random over the radio. We learn throughout the course of the movie that whenever someone turns on a radio, they are automatically connected to some mystery voice that offers absolutely no relevant information but is quite happy to talk. In other words, any scene with a radio is automatically crap, as opposed to the rest of the scenes in the movie, which are.... okay, the whole thing's crap. Sister Ann inquires about Eric Harvey, the scientist who might come to Urapi if he manages to trim his search down to that one specific village out of all of Central Africa. Out in the wilderness, Nukie passes out and we then cut to a scene of Miko screaming for Nukie. Miko is being pumped full of tranquilizers and Nukie sleeps two to three hundred more times. But wait! Nukie's back! He bursts out of the cardboard earth, which I guess he somehow got sucked underneath. In doing so, he causes a hurricane and an earthquake that rip through Urapi, scaring the villagers. The twins run for their lives and for fear that someone will notice their hair is significantly longer than it was in a scene that supposedly took place earlier that same day. As the villagers huddle in the mission, praying to God for salvation, Sister Ann gives them words of encouragement, i.e., "you are dead!" Later, a pair of Urapi hunters find Nukie and the little revolting alien paralyzes one of them. We jump back to the village, where Dr. Eric Harvey arrives via helicopter. Sister Ann greets him warmly by telling him to get the hell out of Urapi. Just then, one of the hunters runs into the village carrying his paralyzed companion. Sangoma, the Urapi witch doctor, declares this new development (as well as the earthquake) to be the work of a "very bad god." Yes, very bad indeed.

One rule of moviemaking is that people love monkeys. No matter how unnecessary it is to the storyline, a monkey will always have a place in any movie and in our hearts. Like all rules, though, this one has an exception: we call that exception "Charlie," the talking monkey (cousin to the baboon king, remember?). Charlie's sole purpose, as far as I can tell, is to say totally irrelevant, unfunny lines at the same time that the human characters are discussing key plot points in the hope that the added audio will drown them out. To emphasize Charlie's role and also Sias Odendal's pact with Satan, Charlie's lines are much, much louder than the ones he speaks over. To compound this idiocy, he has a voice that would make Gilbert Gottfried vomit urine. Nukie stumbles across him in the general store which is run by "the Corporal." The Corporal is the other token white person in Urapi, and he also has the distinction of being the ugliest human being in the world. At least when you look at Nukie, you can tell yourself it's just a movie. The Corporal actually has to look like that in real life. God, he's like a warthog that collapsed in on itself. Charlie encourages Nukie to come inside so they can talk, and Nukie complies by knocking down a wall for no reason. Charlie offers him some candy, so Nukie destroys a stack of cans for, once again, no reason. Bear in mind though, that Charlie is somehow still the annoying one in this scene. Frightened yet? The Corporal intrudes on their conversation and Nukie runs away shouting "Cha-lie! Cha-lie!" because he has a retarded speech impediment. As he makes his escape into the wild, Nukie comes across the twins, who are staring down a horribly bluescreened lioness. Nukie saves their lives by pissing off the lioness until it makes horrible squealing noises and passes out. He then screams in tongues at the twins, who tell him they'll help him find America if he'll tell Sangoma he's not a bad god, probably because if he doesn't stop screaming at them, they'll have to make horrible squealing noises and pass out.

At the Space Foundation, Miko leaves his isolation chamber and takes a seat in the control room. That's right, he just walks out. Now that's security! EDDI spouts nonsense at him for a while, then decides to hypnotize him with flashing colors. Miko falls asleep and EDDI produces the single most malevolent laugh I have ever heard. Why the computer laughs, I'm not quite sure. Back in Urapi, the confusion continues to mount as Sister Ann leads Eric in prayer, then yells at him for not leading himself in prayer. She is clearly the worst goddamn nun in history. Just when things couldn't get any more baffling, Nukie returns to Urapi and spies Eric's helicopter. Mistaking it for a spaceship, he climbs in, takes off, and promptly crashes. The movie has not, nor will ever, explain why Nukie would possibly need a spaceship or even know what one is when he can simply turn into a flying ball of light capable of interstellar travel. I offer this theory: this movie sucks. My theory can be applied to all three of the conundrums presented in this paragraph. I expect the Nobel Prize committee to take notice. Back at the Space Foundation, Miko wakes up, still in the control room. Yep, EDDI successfully hypnotized him but failed to alert any of the security guards. Its protocol apparently consists of hypnotizing intruders, then waiting for them to wake up and making small talk. EDDI's a super-intelligent computer capable of subduing and conversing with anyone it chooses, yet it doesn't have any definition for "friend," "feel," "feeling," or "music," so Miko reprograms it for sentience by hitting a total of three keys. This scene overflows with stupidity in such a way that my primitive human brain cannot fully comprehend. However, it's absolutely nothing compared to what comes next. In an attempt to convince Sangoma that he's not a bad god, Nukie sneaks into Urapi and makes all the pots in the village explode for no reason. Sangoma declares war on Nukie, and the little bastard laughs as the villagers chase after him in fast motion. Then Eric fixes the crashed helicopter with a stick of gum. Legend has it that if you read this paragraph twice in a row, your brain implodes. I know mine did.

Sangoma makes the decision to send the twins out into the bush with no supplies in hopes that when one of them dies, the bad god will go away. Sister Ann whines about it, saying she thought she got rid off all that tribal religion "rubbish" when Sangoma was a little boy. Apparently Sister Ann was a missionary when she was six. She sends the drunken, angry Corporal out to find the twins, then insists to Eric that there is no alien in the area for the forty-ninth time. Expressing her concern for the twins, she knocks Dr. Glynn right out of the top spot for worst human acting in the movie by breaking her entire monologue into two word sentences.

Ann: "I'm afraid. (Pause) I'm going. (Pause) To lose. (Pause) Two of God's children. (Ludicrously long pause)The witchdoctor. (Pause) Has thrown. (Pause)The twins. (Pause)Toki and Tiko. (Pause)Out of the village. (Pause long enough to write all this down) Out there. (Pause) Into the bushveldt. (Pause) Alone. (Pause) Unprotected. (One really huge pause made of a million itty bitty pauses) A trial. (Pause) To see. (Pause) Which one will survive, and which one will die.

Speaking of the twins, Toki and Tiko walk through the plains in late afternoon. One remarks that it's getting dark, and then it cuts to the sky. It then cuts back to the twins a second later and it is mysteriously midnight. Shouldn't have said anything, Toki! Or Tiko. It doesn't matter, you're both dumb savages! Nukie appears in his lightball form, then unfortunately resumes his normal shape. If I were one of the twins, I would have speared Nukie through the brain right then and there. That's eighty pounds of delicious alien! Oddly enough, the twins are happy to see Nukie, even though he destroyed their village and got them cast out to die. That's what friends are for, I guess. They explain to Nukie that Sangoma spoke to their ancestors, who live among the stars, and they told him that one of the twins had to die. Always the tactician, Nukie ridicules away all of their beliefs by insisting that he's from the stars and their ancestors aren't there. Thanks a bunch, Nukie! He then shows the twins how children from his neck of the universe "discover sleep," and proceeds to put on a show that consists of a horrible combination of wretched synthesizers, shitty disco dancing, and off rhythm fireworks, which serve as a distraction for Nukie to blow some sort of date rape gas at the twins that makes them conk right out. Since it's a PG movie, Odendal chose not to show the anal rape of the unconscious young boys. Instead, he shows something far, far worse.

Back at the Space Foundation, EDDI tells Dr. Carter that he thinks she smells good - Miko must have reprogrammed him to be able to smell - and that he loves her. He then sings to her in the most terrifying manner possible. If any person or machine ever sang to me like that, I'd call an exorcist, and when he arrived, I'd stab him in the face with a carving knife as a sacrifice to Grongomet the Weaver King in hopes that he might remove the curse. On the subject of possessed machines (the continuity in this movie rocks me like a hurricane of ether), Nukie returns to Urapi, declares that he's not a bad god, then enters the machinery of a motorcycle, causing it to come to life and crash into the Corporal's jeep. He has no problem taking control of the motorcycle, but he couldn't do the same for the helicopter. Oh, Sias Odendal, you so crazy! No, really, you need to be institutionalized, you bastard. The Corporal tries to convince Sangoma to capture and sell Nukie rather than kill him, but Sangoma refuses. He's got the right idea: Nukie has to be stopped. We return to the Space Foundation to find EDDI scrolling through binary code and reading it aloud. Yes, that is correct, this sophisticated computer is actually programmed to read ones and freaking zeros out loud.

I'll give you a moment to get acclimated to that, because this paragraph is about to take a turn for the stupid. Think you're ready? Well, you're wrong. There's no way to be ready for this. Here we go: EDDI decides it's bored, so it calls Miko out to play. They play some "music," if you consider an all-spoons band to be music, which catches the attention of the evil Dr. Glynn. He doesn't think anything's strange about the little lumpy alien being out of the isolation room, but the computer playing music, well that's just unheard of! Oh no! How will Miko and EDDI get out of this one? Here's how: by turning Dr. Glynn into a clown. If your heart didn't stop, you didn't read that quite right, so I'll reiterate - the computer turns the NASA scientist into a clown by "raising his brainwaves." And how does the good doctor act like a clown? By bouncing up and down like a moron and stripping, of course! If that doesn't teach kids to fear clowns, their parents need to start spanking them with a taser. Dr. Glynn couldn't be happier to be a clown - it was apparently his childhood dream. You know, that's why he became a biologist. It makes sense, when you think about it long enough, and when you're on drugs. Dr. Rhinestone, the requisite coldhearted scientist, shows up and puts a stop to all the clowning. She gets hers, though; EDDI tells her she "sucks!" Thanks, EDDI! And here I was afraid you were going to waste my time!

Jumping back to Urapi like a no-legged kangaroo, we find Eric and Sister Ann locked in yet another inane debate. This time Ann finally explains why she wants Eric to leave. She blames America for the destruction of all of Africa, and since he's an American, he must be solely responsible. "Beer, cigarettes, sofas," she declares. "You call it 'progress.' I call it 'extermination.'" That's right, sofas are responsible for the extermination of the Africans. Damn you, sofas! Damn you all to Hell! Anyfuck, the twins are still wandering around as if they actually had someplace to go (reminder: they don't), and Toki gets bitten by a cobra. Tiko, ever the caring brother, tries to save him by stabbing him with a stick. The Corporal shows up in his jeep, drunk and ornery as ever, with Eric right behind him in his helicopter. Nukie appears and the Corporal shoots him. Yes! Three times. Yes! With tranquilizer darts. SHIT! Meanwhile, EDDI refuses to work with Dr. Rhinestone because she "has no feelings." Take that, doctor! Back at the mission hospital in Urapi, Eric tells Tiko where America is. In case you were wondering, this was the only reason Eric was in the movie. Sister Ann still tries to convince Eric that Nukie doesn't exist, even though he's seen him with his own eyes. Just then, the movie ends. Just kidding, this movie never ends because I am in Hell and this is my punishment.

EDDI is randomly watching Tiko on its monitors. It's not powerful enough to trace an unidentified flying object's crash site to anywhere more specific than Central fucking Africa, but it can get audio and video of a specific individual in the middle of nowhere. Those popping sounds you're hearing are your brain cells. Miko's back at the controls once again and tells Tiko that he's near Miami Beach, and - wait a second. Miko... Tiko... Toki... hey! These names aren't original! They suck! Well, that cuts it, this movie is just no good at all. Back in Urapi, everyone's hair is noticeably shorter, even though the scene takes place about an hour after the last one. It must be the work of a bad god. The Corporal keeps trying to convince Sangoma to sell Nukie, and Sangoma keeps refusing. Of course the Corporal is a bastard, so he goes to the radio and miraculously tunes right in to a person who wants to buy the alien. Tiko frees Nukie from the cage he was being kept in, but the Corporal stops them from escaping. Suddenly Charlie the monkey leaps on the Corporal's back, failing to distract him in the least. Oh well, at least he speaks over everyone else's lines. Christ, there should be a support group for anyone who's ever had to listen to Charlie speak. It hurts so, so much. Somehow Nukie and Tiko escape, but not before breaking into the mission hospital to tell Toki where they're going. Sister Ann uses the radio and tells the mystery person on the other end that they don't have the alien, which they do. In exchange, the mystery person tells Ann that Eric went back to America. Now, you're probably wondering how the radio actually had pertinent information, when I stated earlier that such a thing never happens. Don't worry, Eric returns to Africa in the next scene. It is never explained why he left in the first place, nor do I care.

Miko sits at the controls once again, this time pleading with EDDI to open the door so he can leave the Space Foundation. EDDI explains that it's not in his programming, and then says that it is. Yeah, I don't get it either, nor do I understand why Miko can reprogram EDDI to have emotions, sing, play music, and turn scientists into clowns, but not to open the goddamn door. I guess it doesn't matter, since EDDI agrees to open the door roughly two seconds later. Miko doesn't leave, though. That would make sense, and we sure wouldn't want something like that coming along and screwing up this masterpiece of crap. Instead, Miko sneaks into Dr. Carter's office and hides in her laundry. The other scientists notice that Miko is missing, which is sort of strange since they didn't notice when he was sitting at the goddamn computer for half the movie. Dr. Glynn doesn't know what to do until EDDI tells him to "be a clown," so he blames Dr. Rhinestone for Miko's disappearance and resigns. He's probably off somewhere today, bouncing and stripping for Barnum and Bailey. That's the life. Specifically, the creepy, male-clown-stripper life. The narrator then informs us that Project: Lightball was cancelled. Oh no.

That night Nukie tells Tiko, "if you don't know what to do, look to the stars and wish; and if it is a good wish, the stars will hear you and it will happen," which is the movie's tagline. It is also the worst tagline in the history of the world. Who the hell would ever remember something like that? That's not even the whole thing, that's just the bit that made it onto the box. I mean, what the hell were they thinking? "Be a clown" would have been a better tagline than that! ARRRGH! Maybe the next scene will calm me down. Let's see... it's daytime and Sister Ann is interrogating the hospitalized Toki about Tiko's whereabouts, but Toki suddenly doesn't speak any English. Strange, he was clearly speaking English in previous scenes, and OH GOD THIS MOVIE MAKES ME SO ANGRY, I HAVE ACTUALLY TURNED GREEN AND DOUBLED IN MASS. GREASY HULK SMASH SHITTY MOVIE! RAAAAAAAH!

Nukie and Tiko keep walking in a random direction, supposedly heading for America. Nukie complains about being tired, and apparently when he becomes tired his English gets worse. If there's one thing worse than listening to a hideous alien with a faux British accent whine, it's listening to a hideous alien with a faux British accent whine very poorly. The Corporal catches up with Nukie and Tiko in his jeep, but the tricky duo steal the vehicle and Tiko immediately drives it into a river. Way to drive there, no-drive! Nukie flies out of the passenger seat and into the rapids, then goes over a huge waterfall. So, water was dangerous after all! Nice foreshadowing, Odendal. I still hate you and all you represent. There is a short scene back at the Space Foundation where "Project: Lightball" is obviously still going on, as Dr. Rhinestone watches Tiko on one monitor and flashing data about Miko on the others. I suppose it's also possible that she just gets off on watching little African boys, but in any event this scene serves absolutely no purpose other than to waste time before we find out that Nukie is fine. Somehow Tiko catches up with him and pulls him out of the river. Nukie decides they're not getting anywhere by walking, so he turns Tiko and himself into balls of light and they fly away. That's right, he could have done that the whole time. Nukie runs out of energy and crashes, so Tiko lands. They find themselves next to a random abandoned house. Tiko is dismayed and the audience is overjoyed to see Nukie finally dying. Saddened by the loss of his horrible alien friend who almost got him and many others killed on numerous occasions, Tiko runs around like an idiot screaming for Miko.

Then Tiko remembers the movie's laughably bad tagline, and he wishes that everyone was there, including Toki and Miko, and that Nukie was alive. Eric, Sister Ann, the Corporal, Toki, Charlie (yes, Charlie, too), and some random woman who I think might be the twins' mother show up in a donkey-drawn wagon made from the back half of a Chevy. Miko shows up as a ball of light a moment later, and Nukie comes back to life. Nukie and Miko dry their tears of sadness over their separation and weep twice as many tears of joy over their reunion. As they hug, it is the most concentrated mass of ugliness since Margaret Thatcher and Janet Reno did that lesbian porno. The two aliens prepare to take off, but before they go, Charlie asks them to take him too. Perhaps as penance for having caused so much destruction while on Earth, or perhaps because they want some monkey to eat on their trip home, Nukie and Miko agree. The three of them turn into balls of light and fly off over more bad outer space clipart, dancing around one another like epileptic sperm. There are two ways to approach the end of this movie: the first possibility is that everyone who showed up was already trying to find Nukie and Tiko and it's just coincidence that they showed up when they did, in which case all the humans would have had to catch up with Nukie and Tiko, who were traveling at light speed, in their crappy wagon. The second possibility, and the one that I think we're supposed to believe, is that Tiko's wish came true, in which case I have to wonder why the hell Nukie didn't just make that wish in the first place? The wishing thing was his idea, after all. It's an ending that really makes you think; specifically, it makes you think how anything could possibly be so very bad.

Most of the godawful movies I have ever had to endure were so bad that I laughed; "Nukie" made me wince throughout its entirety. This movie has saturated every part of my body with its taint. It is, by far, the worst thing that has ever happened to me. There is no part of "Nukie" that is not directly insulting to its audience. The camera moves once every twenty minutes, which is almost a blessing because it reduces the number of close-ups of Nukie, Miko, or the Corporal, all three of whom couldn't be any more repugnant if they bathed in their own crap. When the script isn't being horribly redundant, it contradicts itself for no reason. It honestly feels like Taylor took Odendal's story and realized it wasn't long enough for a feature film, so he threw the words "Miko" and "Nukie" in a couple thousand times apiece. The majority of the supposedly main characters serve no purpose whatsoever. The movie would have been exactly the same if Miko had just broken a leg when he landed in the beginning and he was never captured. In an insane effort to emphasize just how unbelievably bad the script is, Odendal gave it to a group of absolutely incompetent actors. The voice actors should be banned from ever working again, then shot through the throat. The running time on this cockswaggling filth is supposedly just over and hour and a half, but the action is so ponderously slow that time loses all meaning. If you put this movie in your VCR at 7:00 PM (not that you should, under any circumstances, come into possession of this movie), it will be over around 2:00 AM. It is utterly impossible for me to exaggerate just how bad "Nukie" is. This is a case where our current rating system just doesn't go low enough. If I was forced to choose between having my ovaries removed sans anesthesia and with a rusty grapefruit spoon, or watching "Nukie" again, I would choose the barbaric surgery, everytime. In the words of Tommy Chong after a particularly bad blunt... "That's some bad shit."

In the meantime, my muse has gone on strike as a result of being forced to watch this disaster and is currently avoiding my attempts at negotiation. I am very concerned because it has been actively hinting at hiring a lawyer and suing me for "Cruel and Unusual Punishment" as well as "Muse Abuse" and "Muse Endangerment" and "Blatant Disregard for Muse Safety".

If I am found guilty, my muse stands to gain a hefty financial reward as well as freedom from all muse responsibilities. My case for the defense is understandably, and unfortunately, weak. I'm hoping to settle out of court.

Until such time, my pen stands sadly mute. I can do nothing but beg for your forgiveness, and hope you will have mercy on me. All I can say is, don't watch "Nukie".... EVER.

:sigh

DW

Edited by: DarkWiccan at: 5/24/04 6:40 pm

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 5:00 pm 
Oh...my..God! There I was hoping to see part B, but instead I found the most hilarious piece Ive ever read :lol

I seriously couldnt stop laughing all the way through, I was crying with laughter when I read:

Quote:
Oh no! How will Miko and EDDI get out of this one? Here's how: by turning Dr. Glynn into a clown. If your heart didn't stop, you didn't read that quite right, so I'll reiterate - the computer turns the NASA scientist into a clown by "raising his brainwaves."

So funny. Then, after I finally recovered, I saw Washi's post and couldn't help but watch the trailer :rofl

Wow..I really *have* to see this film, as life endangering as it may be :p

Stacey xx

Post subject: ROFLMAO
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:49 pm 
oh my god!

I have not laughed that hard in so damned long. Am going to make my mum read it, just cause its too damn funny!

Was going to pull out some quotes but realised I may as well put the whole thing in here.

You cracked me up!

*hugz*

~Gabs

PS The epeleptic sperm really got me.

"I'm known as the fat lesbian chick on Buffy. Of course, I mean you stand me next to an actress like Sarah and I look like I'll eat her. *beat* Wait, that didn't sound right. But, you know what I mean."-Amber

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 10:40 pm 
DarkWiccan,

Please tell me that you have escaped your captors who obviously stapled your eyelids open and chained you to a chair and played that hideous movie for you! I’m sorry beyond belief that you had to endure such an experience. Perhaps we could check into getting you some professional counseling so that you don’t suffer post-traumatic stress syndrome.

My heart aches for you,

CB

P.S. Hope your eyelids are healing well.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 4:48 pm 
LOL!! Your just too funny!

God bless you and your muse, i fear after watching such shite your muse will be lost forever........noooooooooooo.....!

R.I.P Muse.

Devoted friend.

Always willing to offer inspiration.

Always available and supportive when 'Parker', 'Bic' and

'Biro' needed assistance in supplying kittens with amazing

fiction.

Michellex

Post subject: Re: My Muse Hath Returned Triumphant!!
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 7:18 pm 
WOW! Cute! And definitely special!!! =D

Except for the Melissa Etheridge poster thing, I can't really picture Willow having one of those, but anyway.. GO YOU!!

--

LilMissFortuneCookie

*Crack me.*

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 7:24 pm 
That was wonderful. It was a very moving ending (I need to buy more tissues) and I didn't really see you finishing the story that way...but it seems right somehow. Thank you for sharing this story with us, I have really enjoyed reading it and as strange as it sounds I think I'm a better person for reading about Joshua, I know that I learnt a few things that I didn't know before. Thanks DW :)

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 7:37 pm 
Oh DW -- you and your muse, man, you guys had me in tears. I'm still all choked up. Of course, it was absolutely beautiful, and I know this is part of life, but when I realized, even before I read it, what was going to happen, I literally got this huge lump in my throat and goosebumps and then the tears.

But it was done so beautifully. The new life was amazing for so many reasons. So...life goes on.

Really loved it. Amazing job! :love

Wimpy

Post subject: My Muse Hath Returned Triumphant!!
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 7:58 pm 
Okay... I'm back. My muse and I came to an agreement out of court. And here, finally, is the last half of the epilogue for "Special"

Enjoy...

Previously....

She lifted my hands to her lips, kissing my knuckles, before lowering them again and cradling them against her chest. “Do you think Joshua would like having,” she broached slowly, “a baby brother?”

You would have thought that a question like that would have inspired spontaneous happy tears, kisses and lots of gay love. But it didn’t. Instead it caused my heart to drop into my feet. I was overcome with devastation. I just looked at Tara, my face a mask of shock and hurt. I pulled my hands free of her grasp and stood awkwardly from my chair, knocking it over in the process.

“Will?” she said, her voice filled with worry and concern.

I said nothing, mute with the emotion locked in my throat. I suddenly couldn’t breath. I had to get out of the house. I pushed past her and ran to the front door, grabbing my coat and purse and racing out to the car, jumping in and peeling out of the driveway and down the street.

Suddenly the tears came, in great torrents down my face. I couldn’t stop them. I could barely see to drive. Somehow I navigated myself to my parents’ house, sloppily driving up onto the curb as I parked in front of the two-story colonial. My mother must have seen me from the kitchen window and met me on the front porch as I clambered toward the door.

“Willow?” she asked, her voice frantic, “What’s wrong? Is it Joshua?”

“No”, I sobbed, wrapping my arms around myself. “Tara…”

“Something’s happened to Tara?” She grabbed my shoulders, “Is she hurt?”

I shook my head, “No, she…” I realized I couldn’t explain it. Not now. Not in words that she would understand. I wiggled my way out of her grasp and pushed toward the door. “I just want to be alone for a while, Mom.” I rushed up the stairs and to my childhood room, collapsing on the bed in a fit of tears.

After awhile the tears finally stopped, and I lay on my bed in an exhausted, weepy haze. Through the fog I heard the phone ring downstairs and my father answer it.

“Hello? (pause) Oh, thank God. Are you alright? (pause) Yes, she’s here. We thought something had happened to you. Sheila was about to start calling hospitals. (longer pause) Yes, of course… What happened? (pause) Alright. Good bye.”

I heard the phone click back into its cradle and I shut my eyes at the sound. I felt myself begin to drift off, my parents’ voices growing distant as echoes until they were gone and I was in a deep and dreamless sleep.

I woke up a while later, the setting sun creating orange and purple shadows on my closet door, playing across my old poster of Melissa Etheridge. A familiar warmth spooned up against me from behind, Tara’s arm wrapped around me possessively and tenderly all at once. I let out a long sigh. Part of me wanted to pull away, still angry, even if I couldn’t articulate the reason why. The rest of me desperately sought out her affection, needing it feel strong so that I could explain why I was so upset, if only I could find the words to do so.

“Are you awake?” she asked softly, her breath hot on my neck.

I said nothing, but shifted a little in her arms to let her know that I was.

“I’m sorry,” she stated. The words hung in the air for a moment. “I’m sorry that I hurt you,” she went on. “But I don’t understand… I don’t understand what I did wrong.”

“No…” I said finally, unable to hide the bitterness in my voice. “I’m sorry.”

“What--”

“I’m sorry that I’m not enough for you…”

“Willow,” she said, cutting me off. “How can you say that? I love you. I love you so much I want to have a child with you--”

“You have a child with me,” interrupting her this time. “His name is Joshua, he’s twelve…”

“Willow…”

“But I guess he doesn’t count, does he?”

“Will, stop…”

“Because he came out wrong…”

“No.”

“So now you want to try again to get it right--”

“Stop it!” She shouted, stunning me into silence. She pulled away from me and tugged on my shoulder so that I rolled onto my back, looking up at her. She looked down at me through watery eyes, her chin quivering as she worked so hard to keep the tears at bay. “How dare you,” she managed to say through gritted teeth, “think that of me. How dare you say that.” She paused to exhale, taking a sharp breath in through her nose, still fighting the tears. “I don’t want to have a child with you as a ‘do-over’.” She practically spat the last two words out in disgust. “I want to have a baby with you because I love you so much. And I love Joshua so much. And we have so much love between the three of us that I want to share it. I want to build on it. How could you think anything else?”

“I don’t know how,” I confessed, my head spinning with regrets and apologies, jumbled thoughts and emotions. “I don’t know why…” I went quiet for a moment, trying to put everything in my mind in order. I realized it was going to take much longer than a few moments in thought. But I also recognized something else. “I’m sorry. I guess I went all ‘mama-bear’ for a while there.”

Tara raised her eyebrows humorously, “Try ‘mama-bear’ with a hefty dose of ‘melodrama-queen’ and ‘overreaction-man’.” I chuckled at the spoken truth. She reached down and caressed a few strands of hair out of my eyes. I sighed and closed my eyes, once again welcoming her touch. I blinked my eyes open again and gazed up into her blue. “I want to have a baby with you,” she stated again, “but if you’d rather not…”

“I do,” I said, coming to the decision then. “I really do.” I took her hand within my own and kissed her palm, placing it down on my chest over my heart.

“Yeah?” she asked sweetly, unsure.

“Yeah.” I affirmed.

She leaned down and kissed me then, softly, gently, a tender unspoken affirmation of her love. We deepened the kiss only a little before I pulled slightly away.

“Where’s Josh?” I asked.

“He’s here,“ she assured me, “downstairs with your parents.”

“Okay,” I nodded, leaning up and capturing her lips again. Our exchange becoming more heated this time. I reached up with my hand and held the side of her face as we kissed, silently encouraging her with my actions. I felt her reach down and grasp my waist, pulling me to her. I gasped as her tongue entered my mouth, forceful in its urgency.

“Wait, wait,” I said, pushing her back a little as I tried to catch my breath.

“What’s wrong?” she asked, clearly fearing another unnecessary angst-filled episode.

“Nothing,” I smiled shyly, “I’ve just… never made love in my parents’ house before.”

“Me neither,” she smirked. I rolled my eyes and playfully swatted her shoulder. “We don’t have to,” she said seriously.

I smiled at her consideration and giggled a little. “I feel like we should lock the door and turn on loud music or something.”

A wicked grin curled onto her beautiful lips. “I’ll get the door,” she offered.

“I’ll get the music.” I replied, quickly bouncing from the bed and over to my old stereo system.

Looking back there hasn’t been a day since that I haven’t felt that if Tara were a man, she would have gotten me pregnant that night. Our lovemaking was filled with such urgency and fervor it reminded me of the kind you only read about in romance novels. I have to confess, it was great.

So, we decided to have another baby. There was no question who would carry it. Tara had a severely tipped uterus, so she was incapable of having children, which left only me. I was not entirely comfortable with the idea. I loved Joshua so very much, but I still couldn’t quite deal with the possibility of having another special needs baby. We didn’t know why Joshua was born the way he was, so there was no way of knowing if it would happen again.

We had lots of arguments over it, even despite being unified in our decision to expand our small family. Tara worked so hard to convince me that I was worrying too much, even if it was understandable anxiety.

It took us awhile to save up enough money to pay for everything involved in the insemination process but finally, two years and a couple of attempts later, the stick turned blue. I was excited and petrified all at once, Tara was marching around like the proud papa that she was, and Joshua… well, we hadn’t told him anything yet. We weren’t sure he would be able to understand clearly unless the idea were more tangible. We decided to wait until I really started to show to say anything. Looking back on it, I’m still not sure if that was the right decision.

Sometimes I wonder if we had told him before, then maybe… I don’t know.

J.J. was fourteen, and still my darling little boy. He still loved his cars, and watching cartoons, and eating Spaghetti-O’s. He had matured in other ways. He could toilet himself, which made our lives easier, and I think gave him a greater sense of independence, even if it did seem like such a small accomplishment to the rest of the world. He dressed himself, which was sometimes a blessing and a curse depending on how creative his outfit. One time, in the middle of the summer, he came out of his room dressed in three layers of sweat clothes because he liked the way all the colors went together. It was a fight getting him out of those sweats and into something more sensible. He was a very determined little boy. I admired that about him. His vocabulary was still limited, but he had no trouble getting his point across with the few words he knew.

Perhaps Joshua’s greatest accomplishment was his friends. He had quite a few. Not just at the special school he attended (he had long since outgrown Easter Seals), but outside of there too. A handful of neighborhood kids had sort of adopted him into their group. Once I was satisfied that they weren’t just using Josh to satisfy some evil adolescent joke, I became eternally grateful for their near-constant presence. They watched out for him and kept any bullies at bay, and gave him a sense of belonging I don’t think he’d really experienced before. Children can be cruel. But they can also be incredibly kind. Thankfully for all of us, especially Josh, these kids were the latter.

I was just about to enter my fifth month when Joshua’s fifteenth birthday came around. I was showing by then, enough that anyone else would have been able to tell I was definitely expecting, but still Tara and I decided to wait in telling J.J. I don’t know why, it just seemed right at the time. Still sometimes, I wonder…

Anyway, the school had thrown Joshua a small party, but Tara and I had arranged a get together for he and his neighborhood friends, as well as his extended family. My parents were coming of course, and Tara’s mom and brother were coming from Albuquerque to visit. They tried to visit at least once a year, ever since Tara and I had gotten married. I loved Tara’s mom. She was such a strong woman. It was easy to see where my wife had gotten her character. Her brother Donnie was a sweetheart, if a bit of a rascal at times. He had far too much love for the practical joke. But still, he was too charming not to put up with him.

We took everyone to the local amusement park. The kids had a great time tooling Josh around in one of the park’s rented wheelchairs. Given his CP, he wasn’t able to walk for long periods of time, and the walkways at the park seemed to crest and drop like great cement hills, so it was no difficult decision putting him in a chair for the day. At any rate, he didn’t seem to mind, he was having too much fun to care.

We wouldn’t let him on most of the crazy rides, which I think frustrated the other kids more than him. Even though we had told them they could ride whatever they wanted, they seemed to feel bad about doing anything without Josh. Finally one of the kids pointed out a wooden coaster that he was proud to state, “has absolutely no loopy-loops, and the first drop isn’t so bad.”

After a quick conference Tara and I relented provided that an adult rode with him in the rail car. I, of course, couldn’t due to being pregnant, Tara wouldn’t leave my side and neither of our parents were really up to riding a roller coaster. But Donnie had no trouble agreeing and a twenty-minute line wait and 2-minute coaster ride later, Joshua was returned to us unscathed and very hyper.

“Faster than car, Mommy!” he told me excitedly. “Fast, fast, fast!”

“Yes, very fast,” I agreed, sighing internally. It was going to take a long time to calm him down after that ride.

Even in the car home, it was all he could talk about. “It was fast,” he stated seriously, and repetitiously. “Fast. Faster than car. Fast.”

When we tucked him into bed that night, he was exhausted, but still going on about that damn ride.

“Fast, Mommy,” he said sleepily.

“I know sweetheart,” I answered patiently, drawing the covers up to his chin, “you told us.”

“Did you have a good birthday, son?” Tara asked, wrapping her arms around me from behind, her hands resting on my swelling belly.

“Yeah,” he smiled. “Good day.” He blinked, his eyelids becoming heavy. I leaned down and kissed his forehead, standing upright again with a little help from my wife.

“Love you, son,” said Tara, stepping around me and leaning down to kiss him as well.

“Love you, Taddy.”

Tara stood back up and whispered in my ear, “I’m going to start cleaning up.”

“I’ll be out in a minute,” I whispered back. She gave me a quick peck on the lips and disappeared out the door and down the hall. I gazed back down at my precious boy. “I love you so much, J.J.”

“Love you too, Mommy.”

“You really had a good day?” I asked, somehow concerned.

“Best day, Mommy.”

“Good, baby, I’m glad,” I said, “Sleep now, okay?”

“Okay,” he easily agreed. “Bye.”

“Night,” I gently corrected.

Joshua seemed to consider this a moment before finally echoing, “Night.”

I caressed his head, running my fingers through his hair one last time as I watched him close his eyes. I turned off his lamp and went to leave, standing in his doorway for the longest time, watching him sleep. I somehow found it in myself to finally move the rest of the way through the door and close it behind me, going to help Tara finish cleaning up.

I hadn’t known it at that moment, but Joshua had been right in saying “bye.” He went to sleep on the best day of his life… and never woke up.

Tara had gotten up to get him ready for school and discovered he wasn’t breathing. She tried CPR, but it was far too late. Sometime during the night his heart had just… stopped.

I don’t know how she did it, but somehow Tara had the presence of mind to call an ambulance. Not for Joshua, but for me. She knew that once she told me my son was gone, I would go into shock. She knew I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if I lost two babies in one day.

His doctor told us that it was a congenital heart defect that killed him. Yet another malady he had been born with. I was furious; I demanded to know why we hadn’t known before. It wasn’t like Joshua hadn’t been to the doctor enough. We knew he had an arrhythmia, how come we didn’t know about this? His answer was lame, of course at that moment I suppose any answer would have been. He suggested that the arrhythmia had masked a greater, more deadly problem and that it was sadly not uncommon for defects like this to go unnoticed.

It was all I could do to not spit in his face. Tara was stoic. She hadn’t spoken too much since Josh had passed away. Instead, she focused really hard on preparations for the new baby, and making sure that I didn’t go completely insane.

I didn’t know what to do with myself. Joshua had been my world, my light, and now that he was gone, what was I supposed to do? Half the time it didn’t feel real to me. How could it be real? How could he be gone? Sometimes I wondered if Joshua had somehow willed himself to die. If he thought that his life was never going to get any better than that day, so he decided to leave the world on the best note. It’s silly, I know. Wishful thinking on the part of the grieving mother. But sometimes I think if we had just told him that he was going to be a big brother, that he would have stuck around… he would have loved his little sister.

Abigail Marie Maclay came into this world almost four months to the day that Joshua left it. She was a pretty, happy, perfectly healthy baby with no problems whatsoever aside from being a little gassy now and then. She was as perfect as Joshua had been flawed.

I miss Joshua so much.

Abby’s ten now, and doing wonderfully in school. She even skipped a grade, going from fourth directly to sixth. Tara and I love her immensely and we’re both so very proud she’s in our lives. I just wish she could have known her older brother.

Tara got a job as a buyer for a local art gallery when Abby was two years old. She still works at Easter Seals now and then as a volunteer. So do I. But it’s hard…just being around those kids.

There’s a strange heaviness to our lives now that Josh is gone. Like a shadow that never really goes away. I cry everyday for my son. I’m pretty sure Tara does too. She’d probably admit it if I ask her but… what’s the point, really?

Tara and I are strong. There’s no question that we’ll be together for the rest of our lives and I take comfort in that fact. She is my strength. She’d argue that I’m the strong one but, no… it’s her.

Not a day goes by that I don’t find myself looking at the world and wondering “What would Josh think?”, “How would Josh react?”, “What would J.J. do?” I always know the answers to these questions. Josh was never a difficult child to figure out. He taught me so much about being alive and understanding the world, and I will be eternally grateful for the gift he gave me with his life.

What would J.J. do?

He’d love it all.

The End.

"Promise me you'll never be linear." "On my trout."

Edited by: DarkWiccan at: 6/1/04 7:53 pm

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 8:15 pm 
DarkWiccan,

This was indeed a Special story, thank you. I have been fortunate in my work to have met and worked with many “special” children. This story is heartwarming and shows that all children have a place in our hearts and bring joy to our life.

Thank you for this.

CB

Post subject: Simply Beautiful!
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 8:22 pm 
Oh my heavens, DW. I'm typing this through tear filled eyes. You really shouldn't make the big, tough lesbian cry. :happycry

Willow's reaction to Tara wanting a baby is so natural and true. I'm glad they worked it out. You've made Josh as real to me as Willow and Tara. What a lovely character in this heart-felt and educating tale. Thank you for sharing this!

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 8:27 pm 
DW~ This is an awesome story. It is written very well, and I love the little comments each character makes. I think you wrote J.J. very well, and I wanted to thank you for writing a story about a child with disabilities. Most of the world tends to want to hide them, but why should they? Awesome story, good job! It made me laugh and cry. Keep writing! :D

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 8:33 pm 
DW, Congratulations on your muse coming back. It is truley wonderful to see your writing grace the board once more.

This was a powerful, amazing ending to a wonderful story. I am not quite sure what to say. Willow's reaction to Tara's question of having another child was perfect. It wasn't the storybook yes so many would write, but the reaction a mother would have. The fear, the protective nature coming out in full force, it was simply amazing.

Willow's little comments through the whole update. They lead us to believe something was going to happen, but not what. They gave us insight deep into Willow, and helped to cushion the death of JJ.

I must say, reading JJ's death was heart wrenching. And at the same time, it left me with a since of closure. Having JJ pass in his sleep, on the best day of his life, made me smile a bit. It was as if there was a greater plan at work.

Having Tara call the paramedics for Willow was a small, yet often forgotten detail. Showing the depth and understanding of Willow and Tara's relationship, as well as the love. It was mostly unspoken, and done so well. Tara taking over, to protect Willow and their unborn child. Even in her time of grief, caring more for those around her. It was perfect.

The birth of little Abigail, that was wonderful. A happy event to help offset the pain of loss. Abby being a healthy little baby was a wonderful twist. By that I mean, it was so obvious that it was going to happen. I half expected some sort of grim last minute twist. I am thankful you didn't put Willow and Tara thru anymore pain.

The short, yet telling final few paragraphs, explaining the life that the three of them have together. It was splendid. The ending brought a final sense of closure and hope. Though JJ is gone, and will forever be a part of Willow and Tara's life. They have moved on together, a family, in love. I eagerly sit here waiting to see what wonderful tale you spin with your words next.

Blessed Be,

Sarah

"Dont walk in front of me, I may not follow. Dont walk behind me, I may not lead. Walk beside me and be my friend. - Albert Camus"

Edited by: Oracle Of Magic  at: 6/1/04 8:04 pm

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 8:40 pm 
It's all your fault!

It's your fault I'm sitting here before work, 05:37 a.m. in the morning, and crying!

God, this is a really wonderful story. It's all captured so well and the relationship goes so deep.

I can't even find the words to describe what is dodging through my head.

AWWWWWWWWesome story will have to do!

Insanity

"Nobody messes with my girl!"Tara, Bargaining

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next