The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Between the Lines - Vignettes (updtd 9/7)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:01 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

I loved this vignette, it was so sweet and beautifully written. Tara seems so reflective and pensive and she has so much insight into what makes a person tick and their secret, hidden motivations and drivers. That's not something that's always easy to come by. With some it's a natural gift, with some it's a learned skill from upbringing, and with some it's an acquired skill from lots of therapy. I would guess Tara falls into the first category.

Quote:
Again, it means a lot from someone whose stories I enjoy as a reader. UberCon is lots of fun and your short stories fill me with hot burning jealousy for your cleverness. (Don't worry, I'm harmless).

Aw, shucks, thanks! :blush

Quote:
Re. writing firsts – Ah, appealing to the Boom Boom in me, eh?

Ha! I don't get the Boom Boom reference though, other than that's the character in Super Mario Bros. on Nintendo, which I don't think is the allusion in this case.

Re: firsts. I would never advise anyone to try to direct the muse, as such - if the muse is there for you to write about something, it's there, and if not, then it's not. I suppose what I was saying was - I would enjoy seeing how you'd write their firsts. I would imagine their first kiss was very vanilla as well, and probably heartbreakingly, tenderly sweet.

Quote:
Also, I’ve been browsing through the archives of completed fics, and there seem to be quite a lot of behind-the-scenes stories for season 4 that did a good job filling in the blanks. Foomatic has hers going now and it’s looking really good.

I must go browse through the archives! And yes, I am loving Foomatic's story big time.

Anyway - back to your vignette. So well done, and I can see the immediate connection between Tara's thoughts and memories in this vignette and then her marching up to Willow's room and saying "Can we just skip it, can't you just be kissing me now?"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:29 am 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

Topics: 1
Very nice vignette, leading to their reconciliation. You've covered Tara's thoughts on her family in a canon sense, yet have shown us something new that is within character. Her remembrance of her mother, and surprisingly, remember her brother and father's birthdays.

Seeing the Rosenbergs from Tara's pov is enlightening too.
Quote:
the trademark awkward silences that marked the gathering of true strangers

how true that is.

You've also given us the reason for Tara going up to their room that night. Willow had violated her, and though there was never a question that they'd get back together, some people (myself included) think that Tara was too lenient on Willow, to take her back without having the Big Talk. Willow got off very lightly, and the worry has always been that she wouldn't be grateful for this second chance, figuring that Tara would always forgive her.
Quote:
I know I love her.

She loves me. She needs me.

She’s changed because of me, as I’ve changed because of her. I need to take responsibility for that. Take ownership of us.

Her thoughts about their sex life, their interactions with other Scoobies, Willow's own insecurities all dovetail towards the fact that Tara knows Willow is The One. You've fleshed out Tara's motives and make them plausible.

Great work.

[br]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:24 pm 
5. Willowhand

Hi. I just found your vignettes and I am so glad that I did. I really liked the first two that fleshed out the Season 4 back story. I love reading behind-the-scenes about this time in the W/T relationship and yours was very unique. I enjoyed reading it from Tara's perspective as well as her coming out and Willow's response. The manicure vignette was also great- to take such a mundane occurence and add so much meaning to it is such a delightful read.

I think I read in one of the other posts something about perhaps Willow's recognition that she was attracted to Tara. That would be an intersting topic to write about. I'm always up for anything in Season 4 or even parts of 5. Whatever you decide to write next, I'm certain that it will be as enjoyable to read as these have been. Keep up the nice work.

Post subject: Between the Lines - Vignette 6 - replies
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:37 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Topics: 4
Hey all,

Thought I'd post replies now as I don't have any more installments planned to follow up with and it'll probably be at least a week or so before I even start another story.

The Rose24 - thank you (blushing).

Quote:
Are you going to attempt to write a scene between the ending of "Entropy" and the beginning of "Seeing Red?" You seem to be good at writing beautiful love scenes.

(still blushing) I wasn't planning on it. I'm okay with fly-by references to romantic scenes, but I kind of suck (not in the good way) at delivering sweet stuff that lasts for more than 2 lines. (I'd thank you all to keep the guffaws down). But thankyou for the compliment. Maybe I'll try it one day, when I'm feeling brave. I don't think it'd ever be that scene, though. Now that we know what the writers were doing with those eps, too many bad associations. The last 3.10 eps of the season sure suck and blow, all at the same time.

sam - again, with the sweetness. Thank you, I did appreciate seeing your name after each scene.

SallyMcFine -

Quote:
I can see the immediate connection between Tara's thoughts and memories in this vignette and then her marching up to Willow's room and saying "Can we just skip it, can't you just be kissing me now?"

Thanks. That's what I was trying for. To be honest, I felt a little of the melancholy from the first time I saw those episodes come back putting this final installment to bed. It was a little like I was delivering Tara to her doom once more. I can totally see the appeal of AU fic.

watson - your thoughtful analysis is so welcome. Thank you again.

Quote:
You've also given us the reason for Tara going up to their room that night. Willow had violated her, and though there was never a question that they'd get back together, some people (myself included) think that Tara was too lenient on Willow, to take her back without having the Big Talk. Willow got off very lightly, and the worry has always been that she wouldn't be grateful for this second chance, figuring that Tara would always forgive her.

I didn't watch the shows as they aired (late bloomer) so I missed out on all the online debates about the way the creative team with Joss's approval, if not his presence, handled this season. But putting my objective amateur TV (or DVD, in my case) critic hat on momentarily, even if allowing that Tara's character would be killed off, the writing and the plotting from episodes 12 - 22 was so obviously uneven, it's a bit shocking.

I honestly didn't think twice about believing Willow grovelled and apologized her ass off during her "starting over" dates with Tara (the one they set up after Tara got kissed by the hussy classmate and Willow ran off and the one at the coffee shop that Anya interrupted--or were they one and the same? It doesn't really matter). And Tara, having had 3 months to come to terms with the betrayal and violation, wouldn't have refused the sorries, even if they were just a starting point. It's just that a lot of it seemed to take place off screen when it really should've happened on screen with good writing and directing. Then again, a whole lot of their arc was handled off-screen (coming out(s), first kiss, first sex (or at least morning after), etc.). The writers' coyness up till this season was at least done well with the witchcraft metaphor, but their story in season six after Tabula Rasa was really badly botched with the drugs metaphor and Buffy's sex addiction. Even after Tara's death, the bad writing continued with Evil Willow quipping--quipping!--her way through the fight scenes... I don't even remember one reference other than the one with the bus and the Warren bot where she even mentions Tara. Oh, it was just groan worthy. If the ending were locked in, it could at least have been handled more skillfully.

Ep 17 - coffee date scene - show Willow apologizing, damnit! sincerely and profusely. It would've taken 3 minutes. Write it well.

Ep 18 and 19 should have been combined and elaborated to span 3 eps. Eps 20 - 22 should have been contracted down to 2 eps. Cut out the stupid Evil Willow quipping. Give her better makeup. Buffy should not have been underground with the cheesy rubber earth monsters. She should've been getting her ass kicked by Willow (sans quipping), and unconscious but above ground by the time Giles/Xander saves the day. Xander's speech should hit the Tara angle much more than it did with the canon yellow crayon speech. Oh, and BTW, this isn't the WWF. Write the scenes well.

I know it's the nature of missing/behind-the scenes stories to be a bit revisionist, but I honestly found a lot of massaging and backstory-filling to be necessary for the second half of season six just so it wouldn't stick to my throat and ruin my enjoyment of previous seasons. My opinion, anyway. But, enough with the ranting.

Willow~Rosenberg - hey, thanks. I haven't decided if I'll re-open this little set of vignettes, but I never say never. Once I get an idea down, I can finish a scene in a couple hours. Now I just need to wait until I get the idea. :lol

Once again, thanks to all who read these vignettes and especially to you guys who left fb. This was my first attempt at writing fanfic and you all made me feel very welcome. I'm looking forward to hanging around for many stories to come--yours, and mine.

binky

Post subject: Re: More canon fodder - Vignettes (updtd 10/17)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:21 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Hey all,

So, I decided to keep this bag of tricks open while I experiment with a couple of AU ideas I’ve been playing around with. As with the first six, I plan on posting an installment every few days but I’ll try to keep it to at least once a week as long as there’s interest from me, of course, and from others. For now, there are six possible scenes or stories that might follow this one, which would probably run a bit longer than the previous ones, or be much much shorter—ficlet short. This one is actually the second of what turned out to be a two-and-a-half-parter set shortly after “A New Man” (when Ethan turns Giles into a Fyarl demon in season 4).

I posted the first part as a board challenge entry by GayNow. You might want to read that one first before this one as this one follows Green Eyed Monster as far as sequence, though you can skip either or both, as well as the half section, because all are meant to be standalone one-offs. Uh, don’t ask me how it got this complicated-sounding. What I mean is, I tried to make it so that you can skip any installment if you want, though the second part probably makes more sense if you read the first.

Notes/Disclaimers for Green Eyed Monster:
- Willow looks pretty bad in this one at least at first, so please don’t tear me a new one. You know they end up together, eventually.
- Story is rated M for Mature for moderate to graphic sexual situations (that’s R using the MPAA movie-ratings system.)
- Summary: Willow works out her feelings for Tara.

In fact, here’s the link to the thread:
Fourplay

You can go there now. And while you’re there, read the other entries if you haven’t already. Don’t worry. I’ll wait. (whistles tunelessly, then starts to hum, then eventually breaks out the karaoke machine).

…I will surviiiiiiiiive—Are you back already? Okay. The following continues where GEM left off.

Notes/Disclaimers for Gay Now:
- This was my first attempt to write from Willow’s 1st person POV in a sustained fashion. I decided to go for an 80/20 stream-of-consciousness/babble split with a side order of dirty talk.
- A happy thank you nod to watson’s TAKR story, for teaching me the word “defenestrate.” Reading ff is not only fun, it’s educational!
- Story is rated T for Teen (MPAA PG13), for moderate sexual innuendo.
- Summary: more emotional calisthenics (i.e., working stuff out).

But wait, I mentioned there’s a half-part. I spliced together parts of the whole sections and expanded the dream that kind of connects the two parts. Again, you can skip it if it did nothing for you the first time with the excerpts from GEM or Gay Now, since it’s more of the same except… more. The dream sequence is rated AO for Adults Only (NC-17) for brief but graphic sexual situations. I’ll post it right after Gay Now, so again—skip-able.

As always, feedback is welcome, love it/them or hate it/them. Someone slap me.

binky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:47 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Fanfic based on Joss Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Buffy, Tara, Anya, and Willow are property of Joss Whedon and Mutant Enemy. I am not making nor will I accept any money from this fiction. All hail Joss!
Title: Gay Now
Author: binky
Genre: behind the scenes
Rating: Teen, for mild sexual content.
Setting/background: shortly after "A New Man"
Spoilers: to "A New Man"
Summary: Willow contemplates her feelings for Tara
Notes: Second part of Ch 4.12.XT, Kinda Gay. Continues where Green-Eyed Monster left off. You can also read the full text of the dream sequence, Demon Lover, just after this post. Italics for emphasis.

GAY NOW

Holding hands with a girl you’ve realized you have a crush on is a sublime experience. Maybe not sublime in the speculative philosophy sense of experiencing the divine and being awestruck with the enormity of It, though I guess it depends on how much you idealize her as a heavenly being herself. My girl, my angel, my goddess… I know it’s too soon for that. I really need to get beyond just holding her hand before I can call her my own personal Venus…

At least, though, it’s sublime in the heady feeling you get when you wanting her is recognized and, if not validated, then at least acknowledged as having even a slim possibility of being reciprocated, and your soul just soars. But it’s also the sudden humbling recognition of the truth that you and your emotions are very, very small, while the real world outside, where the girl lives along with all the other objects and people in the world, perfectly fine oblivious of you and you wanting her, is ginormous. It’s like you have this interdimensional cocoon your want has made, separate but in the middle of things and you invite her in by offering her your hand. When she actually takes it, you’re suddenly outside yourself with wonder and hope and anxiety, so then, you’re everywhere, but nowhere, all at once, simultaneously.

The girl in question was holding my hand, which I was very self-consciously aware was damp and clammy and not very awe-inspiring on my part. I had just run a half mile in my anxiousness to find her, and hey, computer nerd here—my people are not known for our physical fitness. Between the sudden exertion and the freaking huge rabid rodent bats trying to bore an exit through my stomach lining, I was feeling not a little queasy. To be honest, though, I think I would’ve run ten miles just to be in this very position, sitting on this bench in the middle of a public museum, with her holding my sweaty hand in her cool one. See, my finding her was necessary, having for the span of a day lost her, solely through my propensity to act stupid around her without even trying.

I want to do so much more than just hold her hand. But right now, just that simple act alone is almost enough to make me pass out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Santa scowled at Willow. It looked like Santa, anyway. Or it possibly was Dr. Zaius instead. He held a briefcase and gave the two witches a disapproving look as he exited the Alexander lecture hall and walked past the alcove where Tara and Willow stood. “Don’t be a poophead!” he admonished Willow. To Tara he kindly said, “are you gay, miss?”

Tara nodded.

“Here.” He handed her a pink paper. It was a picture of Tara and Willow holding hands, casting a spell. “It’s two for one night,” Dr. Zaius winked. He walked off, followed by Cornelius and a Gorilla soldier.

Willow turned back to Tara, who was leaning against the wall, the top few buttons of her blouse undone. A taller girl with long black hair and a smirk on her ruby red lips was leaning into the wall next to her, hovering over Tara. She was playing with the flaps of Tara's collar.

“W-Willow, this is Sandra, m-my girlfriend.”

“But Tara,” Willow frowned, “Isn’t she your TA?”

Sandra leaned into Tara further to whisper something directly into Tara’s ear. Tara giggled. It made Willow resentful that Tara was enjoying keeping secrets from her.

“Tara, won't you be in trouble seeing your TA romantically?”

“I-It’s alright, Willow. Here.” She handed over the flier. At the top of the page were emblazoned the words in bold letters:

THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT

A graphic underneath seemed to be a Xerox reproduction of an O’Keefe trumpet flower, but with a painted feminine hand fondling the petals. Willow somehow knew the flower was really Tara’s vulva. She felt like crying.

“It’s for class,” Sandra said. “Educational video.”

“Tara, this is so wrong!” Tara looked at her sharply and Willow knew she’d said the wrong thing to her sensitive friend. “That didn’t come out right. It’s not wrong that you’re gay. But not with her! She’s wrong for you! She’s bad!”

“See, Red,” Sandra had become Faith, “that’s your problem. That’s always been your problem. How do you get off acting all superior, so goody-goody? You think you’re better than me, just because you got a perfect score on your SATs?” Her hand moved over Tara’s exposed belly. “You think you’re sooo smart, little miss Brainiac-research-gal, gotta do the right thing, gotta think things through, but it’s all for show. All you are is afraid. Afraid to feel more than you should, be anything more than B’s perfect sidekick, or X-man’s safe gal-pal. Afraid of the responsibility. S’why dogboy left ya, wasn’t it? You weren’t animal enough for him.”

“That’s not true… I have a lot of passion,” Willow said.

“Uh huh,” Faith replied, meaning, yeah, right. “S’all for the best. You wouldn’t know what to do with T here. Y’know what they say about the quiet ones? She’s a real hellcat in the sack!” The Slayer leaned into her witch. Faith suddenly held a large knife, and trailed the tip from Tara’s ear down her cleavage to the third, still fastened button of her shirt.

“Tara, please, get away from her. She’ll only hurt you.” Willow took Tara’s hand. “Buffy! BUFFY!”

Faith laughed but stepped away. Faith was afraid of Buffy.

Willow eyed Faith warily while taking Tara by the hand to lead her the short way down the hall to Tara’s dorm room. “Thank goodness I was able to save you! I need to do a spell with you. There’s something very wrong with me. I’ve been possessed, and you have to help me do a spell to figure out what demon’s inside me.”

Tara stopped walking, making Willow come up abruptly. “This… This isn’t right. M-Magic is dangerous. Do you know w-what you’re doing, W-Willow? You should listen to Faith. Y-You should really talk to Buffy. She’s y-your best friend. Or-Or Giles…”

Willow was becoming frustrated. “That’s not what Faith said. Faith said I’m a coward, but I’m not. Besides, I know how to do this spell! Buffy’s the Slayer. She can’t help me with this! Not even Giles can help me with this. I don’t need to be taught what to do…”

“A-Are you sure, Willow?” Tara asked. “S-Some of it looked… kind of painful?”

“Are we talking about the spell?”

Tara blushed and smiled shyly. No, not talking about spells. Willow felt her own face reddening. “Please, Tara. Will you help me with the locator spell first? I can’t do it without you.”

“But-But you have been, haven’t you?”

“There was just Oz before I met you.”

“Are-Are we talking about d-doing spells?”

“Uh… I don’t know anymore,” Willow said.

Tara’s smile widened, and she nodded. “That’s all right. W-We can learn together.” They sat cross-legged on the floor facing each other. Willow reached out her hands, closing her eyes, and soon the familiar feel of Tara’s warm hands filled hers. Willow’s thumbs slid across the smooth skin of the back of Tara’s hands, her fingers curling around Tara’s as Tara’s did the same. Willow felt the familiar tingle of a magical exchange between them, when Tara’s hands abruptly went cold, but dry.

”Wanna be bad?”

When Willow opened her eyes, she came face to face with her vampire reflection. For some reason unable to stop her captor, she was pulled into a half-willing kiss that began chaste but quickly escalated several categories to official foreplay, a development reinforced by the sudden warmth between her legs.

“I guess you do,” V-dub said. But when Willow opened her eyes again, it was Tara in her embrace once more. She realized, in a rush of recognition that filled her with the briefest flash of regret of wasted time before it was washed away in the flood of lust, that she was not disappointed…

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Willow woke just before she came. Her mouth, nipples, and sex ached as surely as if she really had spent hours kissing, nipping, fingering and sucking at Tara, their breasts rubbing and sliding against each other’s sweat-slicked bodies, Tara’s face and fingers buried between her own trembling thighs. Her t-shirt clung to her torso, her nipples so erect they hurt as the damp cotton clung to them. Her shorts were likewise damp, though not from perspiration. The bed sheets were bunched up underneath her. She had apparently pulled the elastic gathers of the fitted sheet from the corners of her mattress in her sleep. She looked about her, her body still humming, as she regained her bearings. “No… no demon. Not possessed.” Just incredibly horny…

…For Tara. When exactly did I start feeling this way for her? I mean, sure, when casting a spell together, there’s often the warm tinglies of the magic passing from her to me and back again, and the initial endorphin rush when the spell is successful. Doing spells with her sometimes got really intimate. But this wasn’t that, though maybe that was the knock on the door to what I’m feeling now. And maybe knowing that she liked girls pushed me to crack open that door a bit, just to peek in? Then wham! Whaddaya know? I think I’m kinda gay.

But am I really? I mean, there was Oz, and before him, I wanted Xander. I still love them both, of course in different ways. I mean, Xander, he’s like a brother to me now, so ick, but then… and Oz… my first, in so many ways, even if he hurt me so bad it could make me… swear off guys.

That can’t be it, can it? Do I want Tara because she’s… safe? I gotta admit, my luck in Boystown? Not great so far. Oz cheated on me, almost ate me, then just left town. Xander was clueless all those years up until our big formal wear fluke, and he lost Cordelia over it. I just don't get guys sometimes, and it sure seems the same in reverse. Spike couldn’t bite me for the uh, unlife of him. Giles can be so clueless sometimes, like Dad—

How the frilly heck am I going to explain this to Mom and Dad?

I should talk to Buffy. Oh, good God, Buffy will freak. I can’t tell Buffy. Buffy doesn’t know the first thing about liking girls…

Okay, okay, so the talk with the Buffster will have to wait. I should start with someone who won’t freak, who’ll listen and give me sane advice.

That automatically rules out Mom. Maybe Mrs. Summers? Should I impose on her like that? I could call Aunt Debbie or Carolyn, if I knew them a little better… Or the campus counselor. But I don’t want to talk to a stranger…

There’s no way in any of the innumerable hell dimensions this is easier than liking boys.

Hey, I’m research gal! The research gal. I can figure it out on my own. But, uh, later. I’ve got better things to do right now.

She’s beautiful. I can stare at her all day long. Except she might think that’s creepy.

So, I like girls now. I seem to have a talent for putting myself in the company of a lot of pretty ones, some even beautiful ones, so yay gay me. I guess I'm an overachiever at this, too. Except I don’t know if I could like like them, much less adore them. I mean, Buffy? See above, Xander, brother, except, Buffy, sister. So, no. Not even a little. Cordelia? God, no. The words “high maintenance” mean anything? Faith? Well, there’s the whole psychotic bitch thing working against her. Anya? Oh my God, no. Xander’s short attention span can be a blessing, in the right situation.

Besides, none of them are Tara.

She’s so sweet and patient. She really listens and seems genuinely interested in me. She’s smart and creative and a powerful witch. And she’s gorgeous. When she smiles, I feel so good inside, too. When I’m the one making her smile, oh my God, I’m in heaven… And that voice. I can imagine her purring in my ear in the morning, telling me to get up for class or to wake me from a bad frog dream, her warmth and scent surrounding me, her breasts pressed against my back, her arm around my waist, her front to my behind, her legs wrapped around mine…

Omigod. I’m having morning-after spooning fantasies about her. I am so out of control.

I think I’m Tarasexual.

What if she doesn’t want me back? Ohgodohgodohgod. I need to talk to someone. Someone who can relate to pretty girl rejection… Xander—!

“Willow,” Tara was saying softly.

I had totally spazzed and zoned out on her. The girl, literally, of my dreams. “Huh?” I said. Smooth, Rosenberg! Had I been drooling?

She’s trying to take her hand back. Why? She’s shaking her head… Please, Tara, stop frowning. I’m sorry I was such a dummy. I’m sorry I made you feel this way. Pleasepleaseplease, Tara, stop looking like that.

“It’s not going to w-work like this.”

My heart sank. I let go her hand and she put her sketch pad to the side while I started fidgeting with the pencils I had been holding for her in my suddenly nervous hands. I put them down and started fidgeting with my fingers instead.

“I need to know something…”

My throat was dry and I could barely speak. “Uh, what?”

“W-Willow, you hurt me really bad. Y-you as much as said I-I’d play on my being gay to get ahead with my classes.”

“You have to believe me, Tara, that was so not what I meant! I only wanted to protect you…”

“Y-you assumed I can drop everything I’m doing, just because you w-want me to.”

“I know, I’ve been very selfish…”

“Y-You insulted someone who w-was only trying to be nice to me.”

“I’ll find her, apologize to her in person.”

“A-and you as much as-as outed me to my sociology professor.”

“Er, I don’t know how I’m going to fix that one.”

“Now you-you tell me it’s all because… you’ve got a crush o-on me?”

“Um… yeah?” She looked absolutely thrown for a loss. “Er… I know it was pretty presumptuous of me to just assume you would be available once I finally admitted that this was what I was feeling. Or that you would even have any interest in me if you were. I mean, look at you, all with the hotness. You probably have a girlfriend already. I just haven’t been a good enough friend for you to feel comfortable enough to tell me. I could see that. She’s probably beautiful and completely sane without any issues. While me, total geek, plus I’ve been a lousy friend and I’d be lucky for us to just be friends again, so… okay?” I finally took a breath, holding it.

She shook her head. “I-It’s not enough.”

My hopes deflated with my breath. The dread came up. It felt stronger than the awe just then. Much stronger. I felt like I was going to be sick. “I know, Tara, it’s totally not enough. But I swear, I’ll do whatever I have to to fix things, make them the way they were before…”

“That’s not w-w-what I-I…” She stopped herself, frustrated. I bit my lip to keep myself from jumping in and trying to finish her sentence for her in my anxiousness to make her understand. She can so be insecure girl sometimes. I hate to hear her stutter—well, not hate meaning I don’t like her voice. I so do. Tara can make a swear word sound like a song. Not that I’ve ever heard her swear. She doesn’t like to talk about it, but I think she must’ve come from a pretty strict home. I wonder how they handled her being gay… Uh, Tara’s speaking again. Shut up, dummy. “I mean… I w-want more, too, maybe?”

Huh? “Huh?” I couldn’t have heard right.

She took my hand. I’m sure it felt like a cold dead fish in her hands, ‘cause that’s what the thing at the end of my wrist felt like to me.

“But… I-I thought you w-were straight. W-What about Oz? W-When he comes back?”

“Oz?” That made me pause. I’d almost forgotten I’d talked Tara’s cute little ears off moaning and crying over Oz weeks after he’d left me. This was after Xander and Buffy and Giles had had enough and couldn’t stand to be around me and I'd accidentally cast the my-will-be-done spell to cap off my self-pity party. But I couldn’t not be honest with her. She had a point. What would I do if Oz were to come back now? I honestly don’t know. The truth was, I hadn’t thought about Oz for some time. Most of that, I know, had to do with the girl sitting next to me, holding my one hand in the two of hers. It was starting to tingle, no longer cold and dead. She had brought it back to life, just like the rest of me. “I don’t know if Oz is ever coming back. To be honest, I really don’t know what I would do if he did. But I can’t keep waiting indefinitely, can I?”

She seemed conflicted. She struggled a few short moments, biting her bottom lip, before her face finally fell. She let my hand go before raising hers, I thought (I prayed) to cup my cheek, but no, she lifted it to feel my forehead instead. “A-Are you feeling okay? M-Maybe something has gotten in-into you.”

I captured her hand in my own and looked her straight in the eye. “There’s nothing in me that needs to be chased away, Tara. I know this is very sudden for you. But no less than for me. It’s all so confusing. I don’t know if what I’m feeling makes me gay. All I know is that I am having feelings. Very strong feelings. Strong, strong feelings. For you. And I know there’s no mistaking the fact that you’re a woman, and technically, I am too, even if I have the build of a fifteen year old boy—”

I wasn’t expecting her to shut me up by placing her fingertips from her other hand on my lips. “I take back w-what I asked you earlier, a-about you being straight? I’m the last person to ask you to justify yourself, Willow. If you’re gay now, you’re gay now.”

My heart soared like an eagle.

“But…”

Then plummeted like a… a flightless bird. Like a big, big defenestrated chicken.

“I guess I’m not sure w-what this all means…” She cleared her throat, looking… embarrassed? “For us? W-What does this mean to me? Are you l-looking for a mentor? Because I don’t think I can be that for you. I’m not all knowledge-woman about being gay, just because I l-like girls.”

Oh. I hadn’t foreseen this. Didn’t she get it? Didn’t she understand that I had a major jones-on for her? Not for just any gay woman. Only her. “That is so not what I want, Tara. Unless by mentoring you mean providing hands-on training on the ways of Sapphic love!” I waggled my eyebrows, trying to lighten the mood.

The deer-in-headlights look she gave me was really not what I was hoping for.

“Sorry, Tara.” I said, truly contrite. “I mean, as much as the thought of you disciplining me on the subject seems oddly appealing, I really wasn’t looking to make our friendship into some kind of educational experience. I was kinda just hoping you’d, like, want to go out with me sometime. Not to do spells. Not to study or go to a lecture. But maybe see a movie, or have dinner. And to talk? About anything and everything. And… hold your hand. And… maybe more, if you end up, like, like liking me? ‘Cause I know I like like you, you know? But if you don’t like like me, I would still want to be friends, anyway. I mean we’ve still got the Wicca thing going—at least I hope we still do. I don’t know. I’m not making much sense. Besides, you haven’t even told me if you’ve got someone already and maybe I’m babbling on for nothing so I should just stop now.”

“No. There’s no one.”

I waited.

Apparently she was waiting, too, because then neither of us said anything.

Then it suddenly dawned on me. Strange as it seemed, she needed reassurance as much as I did. And maybe a little prodding. “So… would you like to, uh… with me, that is…?” Our faces were inches away from each other. I could smell her vanilla soap and the heat rose in me again. The scent reminded me of waking up in her bed, after an innocent night of casting spells. It made me wonder how it would be to wake up in her bed after a night of doing other things. With less clothes on. And what does vanilla soap taste like?

“I-I’ve… um, thought about it?”

“You have?” I reached out and found her hand with minimal groping while my eyes never left hers. My heart was beating furiously.

Tara nodded, turning her eyes down, though her fingers curled around my palm. She smiled shyly. Did I mention what her smile does to me? Oh God, I was going to melt. “There may have even been a dream or two…”

“Really?” My relief was almost physical. “Me too! In fact, just before I came over... uh, so to speak.” I squeezed her hand, feeling absolutely euphoric and literally giddy with her validation. “I think it’s what pushed me into finally admitting what I’m feeling.” I know I was grinning like an idiot.

“W-Why don’t w-we get some coffee?” She squeezed my hand back and smiled again. At me. For me.

YES! “Yes!” We let go briefly while she got her things together but as soon as her hand was available, I claimed it again in mine. “So…you’ve had sex dreams about me, huh?”

“Hm?” Her eyebrows scrunched up, cutely. “Oh! Uh, Willow, I mean daydreams. I’ve daydreamed about you?”

“Oh? Oh!” Think fast, you perv! Well, technically, I had the dream in the daytime, and that whole spooning thing just a few minutes ago… “Me too. I, uh, yeah. Me too.”

Tara giggled. “Don’t worry, Willow. I’ve had those kind, too.” She grinned teasingly and gave my hand another little squeeze.

Ooooh, yeah. All is right in the world.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that having your feelings validated by the girl you want by her entwining her fingers with yours, pressing your palms together, feeling the heat of her through her narrow handspan, her strength in her long digits, her beauty in the softness of her fingertips, can be as awesome as being struck dumb by catching the briefest glimpse at the face of God. It doesn’t always come from staring at mountains or hermitting yourself in the woods. Sometimes it comes just from your girl holding your hand.

END DRAFT

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:00 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Fanfic based on Joss Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Tara, Willow, Xander, Buffy, Faith, Giles, and Anya are property of Joss Whedon and Mutant Enemy. I am not making nor will I accept any money from this fiction. All hail Joss!
Title: Demon Lover
Rating: AO (Adults Only), for graphic sexual situations.
Setting/background: shortly after "A New Man"
Spoilers: to "A New Man"
Summary: Full text of dream sequence.
Notes: See explanation two posts up. Thoughts in italics.

DEMON LOVER

Willow looked down at the book in her hands then lay it on her bedside table with a sigh. She had read the same passage several times over and none of it had sunk in, her mind elsewhere. She closed her eyes, but it wasn’t enough. She covered her head with her pillow. Paradise Lost, indeed. If only she’d forced herself to take stock, evaluate the situation reasonably, clinically…

But no. Whatever hellspawn had taken up residence in her had not allowed her any peace on the matter…

And still hasn’t. I’ve got to stop thinking about this. What’s done is done. I’ll just see Giles about it, sit through the lecture about how not ready I am to be messing with the primal forces of the universe, and he’ll help me get rid of this thing. Then maybe if I give Tara some time, she’ll forgive me eventually for screwing everything up...

It was little comfort, but it would have to do. Willow picked up her reading assignment for her English Lit Survey course again and tried once more to make some headway into the thick book, to at least get something done on her Saturday off. Soon, she was struggling to stifle her yawns. Reading right after a shower could always put her to sleep, especially when the material was something as infinitely dull and far-fetched as an epic poem about a bunch of fictional demons. Becoming familiar with hundreds of demon species in her Scooby research and even meeting more than a few in her duties as the Slayer’s sidekick had unfortunately spoiled Milton’s classic work for her. Soon, her eyes closed as the book fell from her hands. She rolled over to her side, and fell into a REM state.

“Soooo… This sucks, huh?” The angel-formerly-known-as-Lucifer scratched at his right temple, near the ridge where an ebony horn now jutted from his blackened forehead.

Beelzebub picked at a flake of burnt skin from his elbow, in the manner of a child picking at an old scab not quite ready to slough on its own. “Yeah, you can say that, Boss.”

“Well, best laid plans and all that…”

Beel looked up at the alpha demon. He hesitated (TAFKAL had a bad temper and didn’t take criticism well) before offering, “But see, boss, that’s the thing… the Big O—”

“Big O?” Satan immediately looked at their lesser associate Belial, climbing out of the Lake of Fire™ before them, who immediately began to survey the female demons also making their way out of the Pit of Eternal Torment. Belial caught eyes with Astoreth and immediately headed for the overly fecund fertility demon. Satan shook his head in disgust at his single-minded minions.

“You know, the Big Omniscient, Ubiquitous One, The Omnipotent, etc… Actually, it’s the last one that I meant. I mean, damn, Boss, you knew He-Who-Cannot-Be-Named was the Big O before you started this little campaign, so, how well-thought out could these plans you laid have been?” The low growl from Satan’s throat stopped his lieutenant short. “Hey, I’m just saying…”

“Never mind that now!” Satan rose to his full height. All traces of his former beauty fell away from his blackened body. He gained a new kind of terrible majesty as his skeletal wings extended behind him. Without a word to mark the passing of his former state of grace, he fully took on the mantle of the King of Hell. “Is this all that is left to me? This foul smelling, black pit far from the light for which I was once named? What will we do?” There was a trace of his former sweet voice, belied by his ravaged appearance. “All we have left is revenge! Revenge on that weak reflection of our superior beings mixed with mud our grand Foe newly dotes upon! Man! That will be our new mission! Make life on Earth miserable for Man…!”

Satan’s ranting gave way to the scowl on Santa’s face. It looked like Santa, anyway. Or it possibly was Dr. Zaius instead. He held a briefcase and gave the two witches a disapproving look as he exited the Alexander lecture hall and walked past the alcove where Tara and Willow stood. “Don’t be a poophead!” he admonished Willow. To Tara he kindly said, “are you gay, miss?”

Tara nodded.

“Here.” He handed her a pink paper. It was a picture of Tara and Willow holding hands, casting a spell. “It’s two for one night,” Dr. Zaius winked. He walked off, followed by Cornelius and a Gorilla soldier.

Xander trailed behind them, dressed in a tuxedo. “So, Will. You gonna introduce me to your pretty lady friend?”

Willow realized he was talking about Tara, and jealousy shot through her. It wasn’t share time. Not when it came to Tara. “Uh, not right now, Xander. What happened to Anya?”

“Oh, An had a bit of a relapse with the whole vengeance thing. We had a little disagreement about it, so we’re just taking a little break, give us both some time to sort things out.”

Willow looked down and saw that Xander seemed to have a third leg, dressed as his original two in a tuxedo pant leg.

“It’s not as bad as it looks… Tickles, actually.”

“Sorry, Xan, but Tara doesn’t like boys. Er… I mean, she’s really nice, so I’m sure she wouldn’t not like you just because you’re a boy, but she wouldn’t like like you. So sorry. I’m the one she does spells with.”

Xander’s eyes almost bulged out of his head. “Ooo, spells! You do spells together? Can I watch?” Before she could answer, he said, “Uh oh, Will, looks like you’re losing her. You should do something.” He nodded behind her before receding into the background.

Willow turned back to Tara, who was leaning against the wall, the top few buttons of her blouse undone. A taller girl with long black hair and a smirk on her ruby red lips was leaning into the wall next to her, hovering over Tara. She was playing with the flaps of Tara's collar.

“W-Willow, this is Sandra, m-my girlfriend.”

“But Tara,” Willow frowned, “Isn’t she your TA?”

Sandra leaned into Tara further to whisper something directly into Tara’s ear. Tara giggled. It made Willow resentful that Tara was enjoying keeping secrets from her.

“Tara, won't you be in trouble seeing your TA romantically?”

“I-It’s alright, Willow. Here.” She handed over the flier. At the top of the page were emblazoned the words in bold letters:

THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT

A graphic underneath seemed to be a Xerox reproduction of an O’Keefe trumpet flower, but with a painted feminine hand fondling the petals. Willow somehow knew the flower was really Tara’s vulva. She felt like crying.

“It’s for class,” Sandra said. “Educational video.”

“Tara, this is so wrong!” Tara looked at her sharply and Willow knew she’d said the wrong thing to her sensitive friend. “That didn’t come out right. It’s not wrong that you’re gay. But not with her! She’s wrong for you! She’s bad!”

“See, Red,” Sandra had become Faith, “that’s your problem. That’s always been your problem. How do you get off acting all superior, so goody-goody? You think you’re better than me, just because you got a perfect score on your SATs?” Her hand moved over Tara’s exposed belly. “You think you’re sooo smart, little miss Brainiac-research-gal, gotta do the right thing, gotta think things through, but it’s all for show. All you are is afraid. Afraid to feel more than you should, be anything more than B’s perfect sidekick, or Xander's gal-pal. Afraid of the responsibility. S’why dogboy left ya, wasn’t it? You weren’t animal enough for him.”

“That’s not true… I have a lot of passion,” Willow said.

“Uh huh,” Faith replied, meaning, yeah, right. “S’all for the best. You wouldn’t know what to do with T here. Y’know what they say about the quiet ones? She’s a real hellcat in the sack!” The Slayer leaned into her witch. Faith suddenly held a large knife, and trailed the tip from Tara’s ear down her cleavage to the third, still fastened button of her shirt.

“Tara, please, get away from her. She’ll only hurt you.” Willow took Tara’s hand. “Buffy! BUFFY!”

Faith laughed but stepped away. Faith was afraid of Buffy.

Willow eyed Faith warily while taking Tara by the hand to lead her the short way down the hall to Tara’s dorm room. “Thank goodness I was able to save you! I need to do a spell with you. There’s something very wrong with me. I’ve been possessed, and you have to help me do a spell to figure out what demon’s inside me.”

Tara stopped walking, making Willow come up abruptly. “This… This isn’t right, W-Willow. M-Magic is dangerous. Do you know w-what you’re doing? You should listen to Faith. Y-You should really talk to Buffy. She’s y-your best friend. Or-Or Giles…”

Willow was becoming frustrated. “That’s not what Faith said. Faith said I’m a coward, but I’m not. Besides, I know how to do this spell! Buffy’s the Slayer. She can’t help me with this! Not even Giles can help me with this. I don’t need to be taught what to do…”

“A-Are you sure, Willow?” Tara asked. “S-Some of it looked… kind of painful?”

“Are we talking about the spell?”

Tara blushed and smiled shyly. No, not talking about spells. Willow felt her own face reddening. “Please, Tara. Will you help me with the locator spell first? I can’t do it without you.”

“But-But you have been, haven’t you?”

“There was just Oz before I met you.”

“Are-Are we talking about d-doing spells?”

“Uh… I don’t know anymore,” Willow said.

Tara’s smile widened, and she nodded. “That’s all right. W-We can learn together.” They sat cross-legged on the floor facing each other. Willow reached out her hands, closing her eyes, and soon the familiar feel of Tara’s warm hands filled hers. Willow’s thumbs slid across the smooth skin of the back of Tara’s hands, her fingers curling around Tara’s as Tara’s did the same. Willow felt the familiar tingle of a magical exchange between them, when Tara’s hands abruptly went cold, but dry.

“Wanna be bad?”

When Willow opened her eyes, she was holding hands with a demon. She eyed it warily, and it leered lewdly back at her.

The demon was her size, petite framed with small breasts, encased in a tight black leather corset, a narrow face with full cheeks, a dimpled nose, shoulder length crimson hair, and large green eyes, though they were hooded in a sneer that matched the smirk that played on its thin, blood red lips.

Willow’s eyes were drawn to its lips, so much so that like the camera in Deep Wells, she saw herself zooming in on those smirking, pouting lips unerringly. The demon pulled her in by their still clasped hands so that their lips were pressed together, gently at first, but then the kiss became more insistent, hungrier and more demanding. The demon opened its mouth, forcing Willow’s lips apart, too, and a wet tongue slipped past her teeth into her mouth.

Willow closed her eyes to shield herself from the coyly teasing gaze of demon-Willow. Hiding allowed her to accept the invasion of the monster’s cool tongue in her mouth. Hiding made it okay to suck on the thick muscle probing her, so that she gave it up only hesitantly when it began to withdraw. It left her breathless so that when the wet invader at last completely retreated, she was panting hotly into its mouth, her eyes still closed, breathing for the both of them, a sudden warmth between her legs..

“I guess you do,” said the demon.

She opened her eyes, still lightly panting. The eyes had turned blue, intense cerulean rings that bore into hers, looking straight into Willow for the most private place within her. She gave it up willingly, happily, even. She realized, in a rush of recognition that filled her with the briefest flash of regret of wasted time before it was washed away in the flood of lust, that she was not disappointed.

“No… Not bad… never bad…” Her gaze lowered, raking across the Roman nose, the lips, full and swollen with their rough kisses, parted and also panting, the pale skin of her throat, the hollow of her collarbone, to the swell of cleavage framed by the flaps of the open blouse Willow had just undone. Beads of perspiration had collected there and Willow, as she had never done before, though she had been curious, dipped down and pressed her parted lips, teeth and tongue against the salty milky expanse of breast. Their hands were still clasped and Willow raised them above either side of Tara's head, pinning them down, pushing Tara back until they were leaning against the wall in the corridor outside her lecture hall. Her honey-haired witch arched upward at the teasing feel of Willow's mouth on her skin.

Willow came upon the hem of a bra cup and caught it in her teeth. She tugged it down until a sliver of areola became visible. “Mmmm… good. Yes, very good,” Tara breathed. Willow released their hands, allowing Tara to curl the fingers of one hand in Willow’s auburn locks, the other to grasp the smaller girl at the hip. She pulled Willow firmly into her by the hair, as her other hand sneaked between them. “Very, very good.”

“The best,” Willow murmured into Tara’s breast as her freed hands found Tara’s ass and squeezed. Tara whimpered. Willow could feel the heart strongly beating beneath the flesh she was kissing and licking. Her hands began hitching the long skirt up as Tara lifted her right leg to wrap it around Willow’s left thigh. Tara was magically without underwear under her skirt and in the shadows of the small space between them Willow thought she could see the briefest glimmer of moisture on Tara’s inner thigh. “No demons here.”

“Good heavens, Willow! Have you been… casting spells with this young woman without supervision? You know you oughtn’t be practicing magic when your mind has been so unfocused! The results could be catastrophic! Do you recall the Spike and Buffy snogging? And the blindness? You surely haven’t forgotten about the blindness?”

Giles was gesturing at his eyes to emphasize his point, but it was lost on Willow. She refused to raise her head from Tara’s breast, unwilling to risk the possibility doing so would make the beautiful woman writhing above her stop stroking her hair or squeezing Willow’s hips between her creamy thighs as she fumbled one-handed between them with the fly of Willow’s jeans. “Go away, Giles!” Tara laughed as the growled words rumbled through her breast.

Professor Giles along with his coterie of apprentices, Buffy Summers, Xander Harris, and Anya Jenkins, hurried away from the inappropriateness of the two rutting, spell-worn witches trying to swallow each other whole in the hallway outside his Summoning and Supplication 101 lecture hall. He kept his eyes focused in front of him, Buffy, her eyes down, unlike Xander and Anya, who craned their necks to watch even as they disappeared down the corridor.

As Giles and the others hurried off, Willow let Tara’s skirt fall from her fingers in order to undo the rest of the fasteners of her friend’s shirt. They were pressed close enough, however, that it did not fall back down its length to the floor but remained bunched between them. She reached underneath Tara’s shirt behind the older girl to undo the clasp of the white silk bra. The open blouse framed the narrow strip of Tara’s torso and the silk garment hung loose below Tara’s full breasts when the clasp gave way. Willow nuzzled her way back down to Tara’s left nipple and took it gently between her teeth. It hardened between her lips as she nipped and suckled it.

Tara had at last managed to get Willow’s fly undone. The proximity of Tara’s hand to her wet center, the varying pressures she had to apply in order to work the fastener down, so aroused her she was making small noises, Tara’s nipple still in her mouth. Then Tara took her hand away, lowering her leg in order to tug at Willow’s jeans and work them down her thighs along with her damp panties. When Tara couldn’t go any further without Willow’s help, she asked for it with a soft, “off.” Willow complied quickly, kicking her tennies off and wiggling the rest of the way out of her jeans and underwear. Tara again curled her leg around Willow’s thigh as one hand reached behind to cup and squeeze the smaller girl’s ass as the other reached between them to do something similar with her mound.

Tara’s hand raking her short auburn curls dipped lower, fingertips began tracing her slit, drawing more moisture from between her swollen lips. Tara’s fingertips gently parted her labia, teased up and down, then ploughed more forcefully between until they found her erect clit and slowly circled, spreading the slick cream around and over the hard nub.

Willow released Tara’s nipple and straightened. “Aaaaaaaahh…” Her hands tightened on Tara’s shoulders as the older girl left her to bring her hand to her mouth.

“More, Willow,” Tara said between separate sucks and licks to each of her fingers. Her hand left her mouth just as Willow pressed her lips once more against Tara’s. Willow was still wearing her shirt and the cotton came between them as their breasts pressed together. Willow could feel Tara’s hard nipples poking her chest.

“Wanna taste you, too,” Willow whispered. She lowered herself to her knees, her hands moving to the buttons at the waist of Tara’s skirt. She quickly undid them. The skirt fell and puddled at Tara’s feet. Gently, Willow lifted each of Tara’s booted feet and removed the garment so her beautiful witch wouldn’t fall if she had to lower herself when her knees went weak, something Willow was determined to make happen. She lifted the leg that Tara had wrapped around her thigh to her shoulder, planted small kisses along the smooth inner plane of creamy skin before turning her head the few inches to her girl’s warm, wet sex.

Willow wanted to take her time, do it right, make Tara feel good, loved, sexy, wanted, because she was. She hadn’t done this before, and didn’t know if Tara had or not. The flare of possessiveness that filled her was quickly soothed by the resolution that it didn’t matter. Willow was a natural overachiever. Pleasing Tara would be something she would become so expert at, no one before her would compare. All it would take was the desire, which Willow had in spades, and some practice—again, not a problem for studious Willow.

Tara’s panting moans filled her ears as the blonde’s scent filled her nostrils. Willow’s own mouth and cunt flooded. She could feel the heat generated by Tara’s excitement as she nuzzled through the patch of wiry brown hairs covering Tara’s mons. Without any hesitation, she placed her mouth on Tara’s soft, most intimate place, and began.

Willow woke just before she came. Her mouth, nipples, and sex ached as surely as if she really had spent hours kissing, nipping, fingering and sucking at Tara, their breasts rubbing and sliding against each other’s sweat-slicked bodies, Tara’s face and fingers buried between her own trembling thighs. Her t-shirt clung to her torso, her nipples so erect they hurt as the damp cotton clung to them. Her shorts were likewise damp, though not from perspiration. The bed sheets were bunched up underneath her. She had apparently pulled the elastic gathers of the fitted sheet from the corners of her mattress in her sleep. She looked about her, her body still humming, as she regained her bearings. “No… no demon. Not possessed.” Just incredibly horny, for Tara.

END DRAFT

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:20 am 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

Topics: 1
Quote:
A happy thank you nod to watson’s TAKR story, for teaching me the word “defenestrate.” Reading ff is not only fun, it’s educational!

:hmm I'm pretty certain that was Debra and Survivor: Ash Island. In fact, I'm anal enough to look for it, and hey presto! It was in Part 16 of SAI. Now I could have taken the credit, but seeing that it's Elvis, I don't dare. I'm nice (or easily intimidated, or Debra knows some deep dark secret about me :P ). I was kinda confused at your many references to "Gay Now" in your intro, cos it felt like you were referring to the fic challenge, or to Car, and then *lightbulb* it's the title of your next vignette! *slaps palm on head*

I'm very impressed with this vignette, so much so that I'm gonna quote your first sentence
Quote:
Holding hands with a girl you’ve realized you have a crush on is a sublime experience.

why? It's so true. And so simple.

Nice sequence of thoughts and dream and Willowaction / Willowbabble. Nice also to see Tara getting it straight away, laying it out for Willow, and
Quote:
“I-It’s not enough.”

leading to
Quote:
“I mean… I w-want more, too, maybe?”

The end feels complete, they've passed the admission and declaration stage, they have so much more to look forward to.

Oh, and that was some dream, the most memorable part naturally being
Quote:
”Wanna be bad?”

*pants and fans furiously*
[br]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:52 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Location: Frozen in front of this damn machine, reading fanfic :o)
*Casts my vote for Binky to continue* :pray

That done, I'm off to um, snuggle, with my lovely wife.

*koff*

...yeah.

"Green Eyed Monster" by Binky

Post subject: Re: Another Vignette - 4.22.X (updtd 10/22)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:02 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Hey all,

First, omigod, I’m very sorry, Debra. This is what I get for quoting off the top of the bowl of oatmeal which is my head. DEFENESTRATE – from Survivor Ash Island. Thanks, watson, for pointing that out. How horribly embarrassing. Really, there’s no excuse for not back-checking, which I didn’t do. Sorrysorrysorry. Oh, and let me get this right: thank you to Debra. It really has become one of my favorite words to use in everyday conversation, whenever context allows (surprisingly a lot, or maybe it’s just the kind of company I keep).

Thankyou to watson and UnderTheirSpell for sticking through the mess of the last chapter(s), to leave replies. That was really above and beyond, and I’m grateful for the criticism and encouragement.

Which brings me to point #2. I was sitting on a beach in Maui, when it occurred to me, amongst other deep thoughts being on vacation allows, that the last 2.5 chapters didn’t really work with the somewhat insane choose-your-own-adventure instructions. So despite my long-fic/sequel phobia, I spliced the half chapter into the first and cut down the second part. I think it works better this way. So if the either-or/and rambling preamble isn’t the kind of slash fic you go for, I posted a simplified version of the last chapters to my personal archive if you want to give it a second chance. I think they read a lot better now, even though it means you can’t read the second chapter without reading through the now very long first one.

Enough of that, though. I do want to move on, mistakes, regrets, and all.

This is the last chapter I have completely drafted, so enjoy.

Notes/Disclaimers for Meet the Rosenbergs:
-Rated T for Teen for moderate sexual innuendo (PG-13)
-Summary: Set during the summer hiatus between season 4 and 5. Tara is staying on-campus to take summer courses because, of course, she can’t go back home like everyone else. She and Willow go to Willow’s house to have dinner for the first time with Willow’s parents.

The next couple were already mapped but not drafted. I’ve decided to not commit to a schedule since I'm superstitious and there's no wood conveniently lying around, but will post them if I complete them as I work on some other projects.

b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:09 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Fanfic based on Joss Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Tara, Willow, Sheila & Ira Rosenberg, are property of Joss Whedon and Mutant Enemy. I am not making nor will I accept any money from this fiction.

Title: Meet the Rosenbergs
Rating: T - Teen, for moderate sexual innuendo.
Setting/background: after "Restless"; Summer time
Spoilers: to "Restless"
Summary: Tara & Willow have dinner at the Rosenbergs
Notes: Thoughts are in italics.

MEET THE ROSENBERGS

RIIIIING! RIIIIING! RIIIIING! RIIIIING! RIIIIING!

“You’ve called the home of Ira and Sheila Rosenberg. No one is home to take your call right now, so, uh, leave your name and number and a brief message and, uh, the appropriate party will get back to you..............................…………cough!…uh, how—?” BEEEEEEEEEEP!

“Hi Mom and Dad. Just to let you know, I’m going to Tara’s early tomorrow then we’ll just take the bus from campus back home, so there’s no need to pick us up, Dad. Okay. See you tomorrow… Oh, and Mom, remember, my girlfriend’s name is TARA. That’s T-A-R-A. Not Terry. Oh! And I know we went over this already, but I want to make sure everyone’s clear, she’s my euphemism-girlfriend, not just my friend-girlfriend, like Bunny is—BUFFY! is… okay? Just so we’re clear. Again. Okay? Okay. See you both tomorrow.” CLICK.

“Willow? W-Wake up, sweetie. W-We’re going to be late!”

Willow rolled over onto her back from the fetal position she’d been in while napping in Tara’s bed. She had been dreaming a frog dream—a potentially good frog dream, for once. She was the frog, which for the first time didn’t fill her with horror and send her bolting out of her sleep, as Princess Tara was about to—

“Willow!”

She cracked an eye open to peer at the Tara-colored blur ransacking her girlfriend’s dorm-room closet. Several brightly colored scarves flew out like exotic birds arching across a tropical sky, though in her present state, it struck Willow more like a bad magician’s trick gone haywire. “What time is it?” She croaked.

“I-it’s already 6!”

“Tara, dinner isn’t until 7!” Willow groaned. “Believe me, dinner with my parents is an event you’d rather be late for than early.” She rolled back on her side to try to get back to her dream to see how Princess Tara intended to—

“Oh no you don’t, missy. We made love for three hours straight before you fell asleep which was…” Tara paused to do the math, “two hours ago! It smells like a locker-room in here, and you smell like the league MVP after the championship game!”

“Mmm baby, you’re making me swoon with the butchy sports metaphor…”

“Willow, not now! Get in the shower already. We are not going to your parents’ house with you smelling like me.” Tara smacked her girlfriend’s ass to get her moving before hurrying to the door to take down her robe from its hook. “And we are not going to arrive late the first time I meet them!” Willow sat up just as Tara’s robe flew through the air and landed in her lap. “You can use this!”

“Ew, it’s wet! Did you—?”

“Yes. I took my shower already.”

Willow grumbled as she shrugged the damp robe on over her naked body, got out of bed, found most of the clothes she’d discarded earlier and started for the door. “Spank me and make me take my shower alone, will ya? Don’t worry, payback’s a…”

“Willow! Stop muttering and just go take your shower.”

“Yes, ma’am.” Willow headed for the showers.

It turned out to be fortunate that Tara hurried Willow out the door as soon as she got back from her shower, as the city buses were only running one an hour during the summertime while the majority of UC students were back home with their families. They barely caught the 6:22 bus into the Sunnydale suburbs and were deposited a block from the Rosenberg house at 6:38.

“Walk slow! Walk slow!” Willow hissed at her girlfriend.

“W-Willow, it’s not going to m-matter if w-we get there fifteen m-minutes early.”

“You think that now, because you haven’t met them yet!”

“Oh, w-way to pump up your girlfriend’s confidence, Will.”

“Instilling false hope never leads to anything but tears and recriminations later. Remember this,” and she made a finger wagging gesture with her hand, “means RUN!”

“Funny, sweetie.”

They arrived at the Rosenberg residence just as the sun was setting on the July day. Willow opened the door with her keys and led Tara inside by the hand. “Mom! Dad! We’re here.”

Tara looked around the living room they had just stepped inside of to take stock of what kind of family she might potentially find herself a part of one day. Willow’s teasing had given her a confused idea as to what her girlfriend’s parents were like. Tara assumed they had a wry sense of humor, if Willow’s was any indication. They were both academics, which explained Willow’s educational overachieving tendencies, and would be well-read and probably opinionated about a variety of topics. One of Mr. Rosenberg’s doctorates was in world history while Mrs. Rosenberg’s was in sociology. They wrote scholarly works and were frequently on the lecture circuit. The way Willow described it, much of her childhood was spent with either one or both of her parents away on a book promotion, lecture tour, or, as was most often the case for Ira, serving as a visiting professor at a distant campus. Being academics, most of their summers were free though they often took advantage of the three month hiatus to travel overseas. As they proudly judged their daughter to be overly mature and intelligent for her age, they always offered Willow the option of joining them on their extended vacations, but Willow, not wanting to be separated from her friends for so long, had typically declined. They were Jewish, though from what she understood, Willow’s family was more or less secular. Tara had taken it upon herself to learn a little more about Judaism anyway since Willow was still questioning, and she herself was curious as to how her own Wiccan beliefs might conflict or complement the faith her girlfriend had been raised in and still partly identified with. Both she and Willow, as witches and as apprentice demonologists, had taken an interest in mysticism and Kabbalah, though it was certainly not a topic that Tara suspected would come up tonight. No, tonight, it’s all about the gayness.

Trying to gain insight into Willow’s parents by the kind of home they had made for themselves and their daughter, however, was proving more difficult than she imagined. It was a warm enough place, eclectic in style, though a little darker and with more of a country element than Tara would’ve expected of a middle-aged academic couple. The room clearly ran counter to her own taste. Although her sense of style hadn’t fully developed yet being not quite twenty, having grown up with authentic country under her very fingernails virtually all her life, she could spot the faux variety fairly easily. Tara realized it was those elements, the simple, homey utilitarian touches, that she disliked the most. They reminded her of her own home, and real country. Something inside her, a niggling doubt Willow’s sweet kisses had not yet fully assuaged, whispered that perhaps real country, hard hands and sparse, harsh words, were all she should realistically look forward to, or all that she was entitled to, given the limitations of her unusual delicate situation. The country kitsch was just homey enough to remind her of her own home, but strange enough to reinforce that Willow came from a very different world. Could my demon be content in a place like this? Or would it rebel? A vision of the same room bathed in blood, the furniture torn and destroyed flashed through her, and she shuddered and hitched her breath. No! I’d kill myself before I let you hurt anyone… I’ll find a way to kill you first!

Willow turned to Tara at the sudden squeeze of her hand and the small gasp. “What is it, baby?” A look of concern, then guilt washed across her face. “You’re not really nervous are you? ‘Cause there’s nothing to be nervous about, really. I was just teasing about my parents. You know that, right? Well, mostly. But I know they’ll love you right away. Who wouldn’t?” Before Tara could use her rhetorical question as an occasion to launch into another bout of self-doubt, Willow leaned into her girlfriend and stole a quick kiss.

Tara recovered from the unexpected gesture quickly and shot her eyes around the room. Willow’s move, however, had successfully distracted her. “Willow! Your parents could walk in any second.”

“I know. Why do you think it wasn’t a proper smooch?”

Thinking of how it might have been to meet the Rosenbergs just after being caught with Willow in a full liplock perhaps involving tongue instead of the fairly chaste peck made Tara blush. Willow grinned and pulled Tara further into the room.

“Hmmph! I was hoping at least Mom would be here, ready to greet us. Make yourself at home, baby. I’ll just go find them.” Willow headed toward the kitchen where she suspected her mother was putting the final touches on her dinner preparation. Sheila was a surprisingly good cook when she had the time to prepare the family’s meals.

Tara sighed after her girlfriend left. Her birthday was coming up in just three months, and it was at times like this when the urge to confess her darkest secret and ask for help was almost overwhelming. Not for the last time, she thought of consulting Mr. Giles about her demonic heritage.

I’ll talk to him… soon. After I know there’s nothing more I can do myself. There’s got to be a way of getting rid of it or suppressing it. No one needs to know yet…

Willow was still chastising herself for teasing her girlfriend about meeting her parents tonight as she walked to the kitchen. This was a big step in any relationship—one which she had instigated when the opportunity arose unexpectedly that both her parents would be home and available for two weeks between their tours of the Far East and northern Africa. Rather than opting for the normal course of action for a Scooby, leaving the parental units in the dark about anything that might cause concern or, perhaps more importantly, a restriction of liberty, Willow had decided that her recent epiphany regarding her sexuality and Tara’s place in her life were too important to hide. In fact, she was rather proud of herself for winning someone so beautiful, talented, and kind. She herself had suggested a family dinner to introduce Tara to her parents and address any concerns they had about her recent change of heart about her sexuality. It was a big step—no, a huge one that would intimidate anyone, much less Tara with her innate shyness and sensitivity. Willow hadn’t helped matters with her teasing. Well, I’ll make it up to her tonight, after we get back to her room. She couldn’t stop the smirk that found its way to her face.

“Mom?” she called as she entered the kitchen. But the room was empty. In fact, it didn’t appear as if it had been used all day. Willow frowned, and headed for her father’s usual haunt, his study.

Tara started moving slowly around the living room to continue her exploration. I’m not sure what I was expecting… New England Chippendale? Victorian? Eastern European Jewish? Postmodern? She realized that she didn’t get much of a sense of a distinct aesthetic style from her girlfriend, other than Nickelodeon or The Cartoon Channel. Not surprisingly, perhaps, she could not sense a distinct style from the house Willow had grown up in. It appeared to have been built in the 50s and still showed touches of those beginnings in the small size of the doorways and the iron railing of the stairs to the second floor. However, newer decorating decisions surely made by the Rosenbergs like the patterned wallpaper and furniture with carved feet reinforced the slightly dated feel of their home.

Tara lingered at the framed photographs placed on the serving table behind the sofa positioned at the center of the room. They were all family photos, more than a few of a much younger Willow. Willow mostly took after her father in looks but had inherited her mother’s auburn hair. As a pre-teen and young teenager, Willow had worn it darker, straight, and longer, in distinct contrast to her current style of shoulder length copper waves. The smile was shyer, more tentative, but still unmistakably Willow. Her eyes were exactly the same—large, expressive, round pools that hid nothing, a range of greens from khaki to deep emerald that changed depending on her mood.

Tara smiled at how cute her girlfriend was even in the awkward stage of pre-teen-dom. She felt a brief flash of jealousy for Xander, and wished she had also known Willow at every stage of her life. She was sure they would have been friends from the first moment they met. Well, we’re together now. We’ll just make the most of it now that we’ve found each other. Her heart swelled with happiness.

“Well, Mom’s not in the kitchen and Dad’s not here, either. Dinner might be catered tonight… Hey! Whatcha looking at?” Willow sidled up to Tara. Tara didn’t get a chance to respond. As soon as Willow saw the particular photo her girlfriend had been gazing thoughtfully at, she snatched the framed photo off the sofa table.

“Willow—?

Without a word to Tara, Willow went through the spread of photographs and collected those of herself not from the past three years. “How the frilly heck did she find these again? It is so not normal to go rummaging around a spider and dust-bunny-infested attic unless it’s to hide embarrassing photos of yourself. The woman is evil…”

“W-Willow, w-what are you doing w-with your pictures?”

“Oh, nothing, babe. I’m just gonna find a better place for these.” Maybe if I box them up and put them in the tool shed with my old computer junk. She hates that stuff and never goes back there. Or, if she does to do one of her crazed manic purges and she accidentally throws them out, it’ll be her fault. Perrrrfect. Willow grinned with the cleverness of her plan.

Tara noted her girlfriend’s evil grin and deduced whatever Willow was planning may not be altogether on the up and up. “Um, maybe you should let your mom do that, decorate her own house?”

Willow paused to look at her girlfriend. “‘Her own house?’ You’re kidding, right?”

“W-What do you mean?”

“Well, just that it’s my house, too. And my pictures, so I think I should have last say about how they’re used, don’t you?”

“Oh. Um, yes, if you put it that w-way. I, uh, guess I’d just never think to do th-that in m-my father’s house.” Tara looked away.

Willow noticed the shift in her girlfriend’s demeanor. She had withdrawn back into herself, the way she was when they first met. “Hey, you okay, Tare?” She returned to Tara’s side. “Something you want to talk about, baby?” Maybe she’s ready to talk about her family?

But Tara’s defenses had come on full once more. She smiled weakly. “N-no. I-I’m good. W-We didn’t have a… a lot of photos dis-displayed in our house, so I guess I’m not o-one to talk.”

Willow didn’t buy the flimsy attempt at deflection. “Babe…?”

“Really! I-I am, Willow. Okay. Okay?” Tara tried another smile. “So, w-where w-were you going to put those?”

“Oh,” Willow looked down at the photos she’d taken from the sofa table. “Up in my room, of course!” In my closet, until I can come back alone and put them in the tool shed where they belong, with all the other tools. “In fact, you come. You can see where I spent my formative years. You might even gain some valuable insight into the numerous neuroses that collectively comprise your girlfriend’s quirky personality.”

Tara giggled and followed Willow up the stairs to the second floor. “So did your Mom or Dad leave a note about where they are?”

“Nope. No note. The Rosenbergs are not big on that kind of thing.”

“Leaving notes?”

“Uh… communication.”

“Oh.”

“So, here we are… kinda lame, huh?” Willow plopped herself down on her bed.

It was a typical teenaged girl’s room, decorated mostly in white and rose shades, with posters on the wall and a bulletin board with pictures. Unsurprisingly, Willow also had two full bookcases. Above the dresser was a framed mirror. More pictures were stuck into the frame. Sitting on the dresser in front of the mirror were some trophies and awards for academic achievements. More sat on her desk. There was also an empty fishtank. A set of double doors led to a balcony outside.

Tara closed the door and smiled. “Not at all.” Her eyes settled on a green and red poster with a stylized cartoon dog seated at a table, being served a covered dish by a cartoon June Cleaver-type housewife that was hanging above Willow’s bed. She read the title and her eyes narrowed.

Willow followed Tara’s gaze and immediately cringed. “Sorry! I knew I forgot to take one down, somewhere.” She sat up straight.

“Oh, it’s alright, Willow. At least it doesn’t have his picture on it. Then I’d have to ask you for it so I could hang it in my own room.”

“Uh, why would you want a Dingoes poster in your room? You don’t even like their music, do you?”

“Oh no. But I could use it as a dart board.”

Ouch! “I’ll, uh, take it down now.”

“Really, Willow, you don’t have to. You still like their music.” Willow hesitated and Tara forced a smile, angry with herself that her attempt to be playful had come across meaner than she intended. She moved to the mirror and began to study the photos. Now if you left a picture of him here, we’ll need to talk…

Willow joined her at her dresser. She embraced Tara from behind and lay her chin against the crook of Tara’s neck. “See? No pictures of him here. In fact…”

Tara saw the prominently displayed photo of herself and Willow without her girlfriend needing to point it out among the others of Willow, Xander, and Buffy. In fact, it was strikingly similar to their current pose, but reversed in the mirror. She recalled a previous bantering conversation about the topic after Willow had given her a hickey one night. If Willow were a vampire, she would be a right-side biter from behind, and a left-side biter from the front. That’s my Willow. Dependable. Tara unconsciously closed her eyes as Willow started nibbling on her right earlobe. You have the weirdest conversations when you live in Sunnydale…

Willow’s sighed into Tara’s ear, finding the idea of debauching her girlfriend in her old bedroom on her very childhood bed incredibly arousing. Her hands moved from Tara’s hips to just underneath her breasts.

“Willow! Hands!”

Mmmm… She’s so cute when she’s fighting being naughty when being naughty is really what she wants to be… This is so… kind of odd, actually. Willow’s forehead crinkled into a frown. Usually, it’s just about now that Mom would walk in on me. Her timing is normally uncanny. Willow took a half-step back from her girlfriend, lowering her hands back to a safer position on Tara’s hips.

Tara caught her girlfriend’s concerned look in the mirror. “Willow?”

“Something doesn’t feel right, Tara… I wonder where Mom and Dad are. It’s kind of unusual for both of them to not be here when we have a set dinner date. They’re normally obsessively punctual.”

Tara frowned herself. “I didn’t sense any strange energy w-when we got here. But then, I’m not sure I w-would’ve, this being my first time here. Did you…?”

“Well, no, but my sensitivity still isn’t the best with that kind of thing. Not like yours. The sun’s down already, and they’ve got Sunnydale instincts the same as everyone else who lives in this town.” Willow released Tara to go to her bookcase where she kept a few spell books and her witchcraft notebooks. “Now where in the name of Hecate did I put it…?”

“What are you going to do?”

She took down one of her notebooks from a top shelf. “I’ve been working on adapting the tinkerbell spell to work on any human, not just either one of us. I think now’s as good a time as any to see if the changes will work.”

“Should I move? I feel like I should move.” Tara looked up at Willow from where she hovered beside her girlfriend as the smaller witch balanced precariously on the end of the stuffed sofa back in the living room, reaching for the last pixie light from the failed spell as it hovered near the light fixture.

“No… not necessary! I… should… have it… soon!” Willow’s fingers again grasped and closed on empty air as the pixie kept flitting erratically just beyond her fingertips. “C’mon, you little…” Willow got on her toes and lunged a little, finally successful as her fist closed on the dancing light. Unfortunately, it was enough to push her off balance and she swayed back and forth on her unstable perch.

Instinctively, Tara reached out and grabbed the waistband of Willow’s skirt and pulled her girlfriend toward her. They both fell back to the couch, Tara on her back, Willow in her lap. Willow squealed and Tara yelped as they landed.

“Tara! Baby, are you okay? Your back—?”

“I-I think I’m alright. What about you?”

“Well, other than your hands on my ass and booby, I’m okay.”

Tara quickly pulled her hands away.

Willow sighed. “Those were the parts of me doing better than okay!” She pushed backward a little, into Tara’s warmth and the softness of her breasts.

“Willow!” Tara said through gritted teeth. “Not now!”

“Eh, so I guess it’d be a bad time to tell you, you rushed me out of your room so fast I didn’t have time to find my underwear?”

“What…? WHAT?”

Willow shrugged sheepishly. “I didn't see where they went after you flung them over your shoulder, 'cause, you know, I kinda was underneath you at the time. Then, I figured, we’re going home, anyway, I’ll just put on a pair here.”

“And you didn’t? We’ve been here fifteen minutes!”

“It kind of slipped my mind…” She unclenched her fist to reveal the fading embers of the deficient tinkerbell she’d successfully banished. She relaxed further into Tara’s lap, and it was now the blonde’s turn to squirm now that she knew Willow was currently going commando under her knee-length skirt. “Y’know, I could get used to this. It feels kinda—”

“Oh Goddess, Willow, don’t say it!” Tara moaned, fighting her arousal.

“Ahem!”

Both witches turned. Sheila was standing in the doorway of her home, looking down at her daughter half-sitting in the lap of a moaning blonde goy girl she had never met before sprawled on the sofa in her living room. Behind her, not quite on the threshold was Ira. Apparently, Willow had also gotten her stature from her father, who appeared to be a couple inches shorter than Sheila. He could not see past his wife. They both held paper grocery bags.

“Mom! Dad!” “Mrs. Rosenberg! Mr. Rosenberg!” Willow scrambled to get out of Tara’s lap, stumbling in the process. Tara followed, also half-stumbling clumsily as she anxiously reached to keep Willow’s skirt down and in place as they collected themselves.

“What’s going on, Sheila? Have we been robbed? Are the thieves still in our house? Because if not, I’d appreciate it if you stepped inside. This one-gallon potato salad isn’t getting any lighter. And may I ask once more why we needed the one-gallon size? There’s only four of us. Or did Willow mention something to you about how big this girl she’s seeing is? Why doesn’t she share those details with me?”

Sheila walked in, Ira behind her. The four stood staring at one another wordlessly for a long moment.

At last, Willow volunteered. “Mom, Dad, this is Tara, my girlfriend—my gay—LESBIAN type girlfriend!”

Oh Goddess.

“Oh for heavens sake, Willow, we’re not stupid, you know. We got your message.” Sheila said. To Tara, she smiled. “Thank you for coming, Tara. You wouldn’t believe how hard it’s been to get Willow to bring over her school friends, other than that Harris boy, and Bunny… Summers?” Sheila smiled, pleased that she had remembered Bunny’s last name.

“Well, there was that young man, too. Daniel was his name, wasn’t it? Nice Jewish name, although if I recall, he wasn’t…” Ira suddenly remembered who Daniel was to his daughter, and stopped himself. “Uh, never mind.”

Willow made a strangled noise in her throat.

Um… okay. “Th-Thank you for having m-me, Mrs. Rosenberg.” Tara shook Sheila’s offered hand. She turned to Ira. “I-It’s nice to m-meet you, Sir.” Ira nodded and smiled, unable to offer Tara his hand for the armful of potato salad he was still sporting.

“You guys are late!” Willow accused. “We’ve been waiting for you for the past fifteen minutes! I thought something might’ve happened to you.”

Sheila checked her watch. “Willow, it’s just now turned 7:00. If you’ve been waiting for us for fifteen minutes, it means you were fifteen minutes early.”

Willow shot Tara an I-told-you-so look. She made the RUN! hand sign. Tara frowned hard at her.

Ira caught the exchange, and nodded toward Willow’s hand. “What was that? Some kind of lesbian sexual sign language?”

Sheila shot him a scathing look.

Huh. This explains a lot. Tara realized her mouth was hanging slightly open and closed it tightly, biting her lip to stop herself from laughing.

Willow smiled sheepishly at Tara before turning back to her father. “No, Dad. It was just a little joke. Here, give me the potato salad. We should get started. Tara and I had a busy afternoon--really, really, really busy! Yup, all with the... uh... studying!" Willow hurried, cluing onto Tara's deepening cringe. "'Cause, you know, Tara's taking some summer courses--Not that she needs the extra course work! Nope, she's plenty smart, just studious. Really, really studious. So we're pretty hungry. And then right after dinner we’re heading off to Buf—uh, Mrs. Summers' house.” Willow relieved Ira of one of his paper bags and they started for the kitchen, gesturing with her eyes for Tara and her mother to follow.

“How’d you know I had potato salad in that bag?”

Tara didn’t hear Willow’s response as they disappeared into the kitchen.

“So, Tara, I take it from your invocation as we walked in that you are not Jewish, either?”

Invocation…? Oh. “Um, no Ma’am.” Tara offered to take Sheila’s bag but was waved off as they also started for the kitchen. Willow had mentioned something about a Hellmouth-induced witch hunt that Mrs. Rosenberg along with Buffy’s mother had played a role in a couple of years ago, but at the moment, under Sheila’s scrutiny, the details escaped her. She wasn’t sure if she should volunteer the information that she was Wiccan or not. Isn’t tonight about the gayness? Or did what just happened take care of that already? Oh Goddess, help.

As they entered the kitchen, Willow intercepted them. She took Tara by the hand and turned her immediately to exit the room. “Gotta borrow my girlfriend for a second, Mom. We’ll be back down before you know it! Definitely back before any monkey business can ensue! Unfortunately.” The last word she uttered just loud enough for Tara to hear. Tara was too grateful for the rescue to admonish Willow for her cheekiness as she wordlessly followed the smaller girl back up the stairs toward her bedroom. Once safely inside, Willow closed and locked the door and turned to Tara. “I almost forgot! About my underwear. You can help me pick out a pair to divest me of later. Tide us over for until we get home from the Bronze tonight? Or we can skip the Bronzing entirely if you want. Just go straight back to your room after we’re through here?” Willow grinned lasciviously.

Goddess. Maybe this house is possessed. But Tara smiled as she thought it.

END

Last edited by binky on Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:19 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Hey Binky,

This was great fun. Liked it that Willow's parents weren't home yet, Tara could act and look around more freely than if they were. Loved that Willow hardly act any different with of without here parents around. Funny that Sheila walked in at a much worser point :lol. And Willow's dad is funny.

Thanks, wilgen.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:40 am 
15. Apple Sauce & Tuna

That was so great to read. Hehe..what a welcome to walk into :lol . Love sam xx

"Sometimes things happen between people that you don't really expect. And sometimes the things that are important are the ones that seem the weirdest or the most wrong and those are the ones that change your life." - Jessie Sammler. [Evan Rachel Wood]

Credit for icon: lj user crazedxinsanity

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:25 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Location: Frozen in front of this damn machine, reading fanfic :o)
Wow - if only all coming-out scenes worked out that humorously well. :-D

"Green Eyed Monster" by Binky

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:19 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

binky, that was laugh-out-loud funny. With the blonde goya, the potato salad, and "For Heavens, sake, Willow, we're not stupid..." - HEH! My wife came over to see what I was cackling so much about. GREAT dialogue.

Post subject: eTudes - season 4 (updtd 10/22)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:21 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Hey all,

There hasn’t been too big a response to the last three stories I posted (NOT A BIG DEAL! Iamnotinsecureintheslightestaboutthelackofresponse [pant pant] – repeat 10X or as necessary). I am curious, though. I know there are a lot of good series getting regularly updated on Pens right now, is there just no interest in these silly little canon ficlet thingies? Or just my silly little canon ficlet thingies? I am not fishing for more feedback though that would be nice, just curious. I am treating these mainly as etudes to exercise my born-again virgin writing muscles (don’t ask), so I will continue to work on them as I set more challenges for myself to complete, but it is helpful to see a response, even if it’s to say, “yow, that was a mess.” Am I on the right track, or off the rails once more?

Anyway, to the faithful few:

wilgen – thank you very much for reading and taking the time to comment. I got Tara’s deferential, respectful attitude toward her elders from how she calls her father “Sir” in “Family,” so some of it comes from being raised in an overly strict household. But it comes in handy when meeting the beloved’s parents. I see Willow’s more casual attitude coming from her experience as a Scooby (the need-to-know thing (sometimes, the you-did-need-to-know-but-I-didn’t-tell-you-anyway-until-it-was-too-late-sorry)—often very frustrating to watch the characters keep secrets from each other so much on the serial (and in a lot of fanfic (yes, I'm referring to Neverland - smirk))). That and the Gingerbread episode, with her interaction with Sheila. I get the feeling my take on Willow has her more sexually aggressive than most ff writers and probably readers here, but it’s because I put a heckuvalot of stock in the belief that finding and winning Tara increased her self-image many times over since Oz and even Xander. So sexy Tara = Willow grabby-hands. It all makes sense.

sam – it’s so nice to see you back here once more. Thank you.

UnderTheirSpell - I’m glad you read and liked this one. A bit lighter than the last, huh? Thank ya kindly for the vote of confidence. ABOVE AND BEYOND! I will be continuing with these since I’m kind of using them as writing challenges for myself, but it’s nice to know someone is getting a kick out of them besides, so thank you.

SallyMcFine – Ah, this is high praise, indeed, coming from you, O Witty One. I have to confess, though, I had such a hard time with the previous installments with the wet dream sequence and the first person Willow POV, I kind of used this one as comfort writing—playing it for laughs. And it had to be this scene. I really don’t think I could have written a coming-out-to-the-parents scene straight, so to speak—the temptation would’ve been to be pedantic and then I’d bore the three people in my audience to death and I’d really be hearing the echoes, so it was necessary. That’s not to say it wasn’t nice indulging myself for a brief bit. I’m very happy it gave you the chuckles. I hope the missus got a laff, too, or at least forgave you the LOLing. Cause you know, LOLing out of context—it just looks insane.

Okay! In deference to Sassette’s Vignette Series which I just recently discovered (another lovely excuse to procrastinate on my own writing) but also because I’ve been trying to incorporate more complete plots than the name really allows, I am renaming my thread eTudes and breaking them down by season. Meet the Rosenbergs closed season 4, which I am grouping under the general title Coming Out:

4.10.X – Embrace Me, My Sweet
4.12.X.1 – Kinda Gay – Demon Lover
4.12.X.2 – Kinda Gay – Gay Now
4.19.X – Nails
4.22.X – Meet the Rosenbergs

Since coming back from my vacation, a whole fleet of ongoing fics I’d been reading were updated—YAY! I’ll be busy with the reading and feeling inadequate as a writer, but then next week, I’ll be starting season 5, which I’m organizing around the theme “Plenty of Magic”. Consider yourselves warned.

b

EDIT 12/6/05:

This project is going on sabbatical for a few weeks. Most likely, the next update will be in 2006. Thanks. See you then, maybe.

Last edited by binky on Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: eTudes - season 4 (updtd 10/22)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:47 pm 
5. Willowhand

HI. I have been reading, just not leaving feedback. My time is kinda tight at the moment, so I have to play catch-up with the feedback when I get a spare minute. I really like what you did with the last vignette. As soon as Willow said that her parents usually interupt stuff, I had a bad feeling that they were going to interrupt at some highly inappropriate time. Wait for it. Check! :D

I definitsly would like to see you continue, even if my feedback is lacking sometimes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:57 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

I have been reading these, also. Well, not the s6 ones, I admit. I have an aversion to s6. Long before Seeing Red dragged it's way across my screen, I had pretty much given up the show as a lost cause. SR just kinda cemented it. (And yet, I watched s7. Maybe I'm a masochist.) But the rest, I read. And liked. And the lack of feedback is pretty much just 'cause I suck.

NAILS - Really sweet and cute. I just love fics with the two of them hanging out and talking and stuff. And this made me laugh.

Quote:
Ooookay. Take note, giving someone a manicure can bring the hidden bitca out in the nicest and most gentle of people. Maybe it's the chemicals... Would explain a lot about Cordy... Then Willow smiled goofily. Heheh... She called me “lover.”

ESCALATING APPARATUS - The dorm room sex was very hot.

HOMO TRISTE - So sad. That must have been a hard time for Willow, that we never really saw much of on the show.

GREEN-EYED MONSTER - I know this is from the other thread, but since the sequel is in this one, I thought I'd comment here. So good, and funny. I don't know why, but I just love jealous Willow, even if she is kinda a jerk.

GAY NOW -
Quote:
I was kinda just hoping you’d, like, want to go out with me sometime. Not to do spells. Not to study or go to a lecture. But maybe see a movie, or have dinner. And to talk? About anything and everything. And… hold your hand.

*sigh* I love fics set at the start of their relationship. So sweet.

DEMON LOVER - Nice, bizarre Willow dream. Well, until the hotness at the end. That was nice, too.

MEET THE ROSENBERGS - I really, really like this one. So much funny...
Quote:
“Mmm baby, you’re making me swoon with the butchy sports metaphor…”

And OMG! Willow's father. I guess maybe it should be called Rosenberg-babble, instead of Willow-babble, huh? And this:
Quote:
“How’d you know I had potato salad in that bag?”

Hee!

And s5 next. S5 is my favorite, so I'm definitely looking forward to more.

Post subject: Re: eTudes - Rosenbergs - last feedback replies
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:33 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Hey, thank you two for commenting. I'm sorry for the lateness acknowledging, but I do appreciate it, really.

Willow~Rosenberg: Yeah, I thought it would be funny to make the catalyst for Willow’s spidey-sense going off the fact that Sheila hadn’t caught them monkeying around. Kind of like negative-space-spidey-spense based on Murphy’s Law.

the hero factor: I’m with you on the season six thing. Rest assured that my season 6 fictions are 100% Tara-friendly! The last 10 minutes of Seeing Red do not ever happen for the purposes of this ficlet series. The two I already have posted are safe as houses to read. It will be the same by the time I post the additional two season 6 chapters (probably some time next year—haha). Anyway, thanks again.

b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:46 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Quote:
There hasn’t been too big a response to the last three stories I posted (NOT A BIG DEAL! Iamnotinsecureintheslightestaboutthelackofresponse [pant pant] – repeat 10X or as necessary). I am curious, though. I know there are a lot of good series getting regularly updated on Pens right now, is there just no interest in these silly little canon ficlet thingies? Or just my silly little canon ficlet thingies? I am not fishing for more feedback though that would be nice, just curious.

Hiya Binky,

I just stumbled across this thread today and I eagerly devoured each ficlet. You're doing a great job of showing us what happened between W/T off camera. I believe you mentioned in a bit of feedback discussion that so many of the important, life-changing events in their lives were unshown and you're 100% correct about that. I've enjoyed your version of filling in the gaps and hope that you're writing more.

Michelle

Post subject: Re: eTudes - Season 5 - Plenty of Magic
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:04 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Binky
Your vignettes have given me several happy hours reading... thanks. I like stories that fill in the gaps. The series didn't give W&T nearly enough air time in my opinion.
My apologies for not having given feedback previously... mostly I feel I haven't anything extra to add to the fb there, but I know that doesn't give you much of an idea how many are enjoying your stories. My bad.
I would like to say that I think you're a good writer - your characterisation of W&T is spot on, and I like the way you're developing them beyond the series. I also love what your imagination comes up with to fill in the background for us!
One peeve (my current pet peeve, the dreaded "ness"!) is that somewhere you wrote "anxiousness", which I believe should be "anxiety"? Just a small thing.
Anyway, thanks once again for a great set of stories, and I look forward to more.
Anne

Every path has its puddle. Old English Saying... I think I just stepped in mine...

Post subject: Re: eTudes - more responses before season 5
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:57 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Michelle & Anne – Thank you very much for the encouragement.

I grouse about the way season 6 was handled, and even the W/T story from season 4 and 5 a little, too, with the coyness, but really, being honest, was there or has there been as good a television show before or since Buffy? I think not. In a way it’s great that the production teams throughout the show’s run left a lot of the details out—more elbow room for the audience to fill in their own blanks.

Plus it’s allowed a lot of people who never would’ve even thought about it to try their hand at writing fiction. I count myself among those. Being able to jump right into the storytelling to try different things with dialogue, pov and choreographing and exposition is really nice and has given me more confidence in maybe trying other challenges—like backstory and plot and character development, which will require something off- or non-canon or original altogether. OTOH I’ve mostly enjoyed writing these, so yes, I plan on doing a few more. They just won’t be posted at my previous break-neck pace of a chapter or two every week. I have a couple drafted right now, but they’re in editing so hopefully my next post in this thread will be a new chapter. I have to say, though, that I’m reserving the right to bail on the project altogether, because I started a new job recently, I have a short attention span, and to be honest, the residual return as far as feedback has been a little disappointing. Many writers like to claim they only write for themselves, but we all know that’s at least a little hooey, even for the tiny minority of writers who have shitloads of confidence about their talents. Then there’s the rest of us, for whom it’s just a shitload of hooey altogether. So a sincere thank you again for taking the time to post your thoughts.

binky

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:27 am 
2. Floating Rose

Please don't stop writing, Your fiction is one of the reasons I like this website. I like your style of writing and you really know your smut I love it. And good luck with the new job. Becca

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:30 am 
8. Vixen

No binky! Don't go! :sob
You already know how I feel about these lovely little fics. You write the backstory so well. Us kittens need the backstory. especially with the sexy smuttiness (?). I understand about the job but.... :pray, whenever you have the time please give us some more because you are truly an exceptional writer.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:13 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Oh my god. I had no idea I was considered a smutty writer. Really? Aw shucks, now I’m all red and stuff. I will try my best to live up to that reputation, though I’m not sure it’s been earned. Or how I earned it. I mean, what self-respecting smutologist, after 9 chapters, would fail to have Willow give Tara a happy? Not a very good one!

Okay, now that the gasps have died down, let me check, cause that didn’t sound right, even to me and I’ve been writing the damned things … Nope; was about to but then the scene ended; nope; uh, implied, but not clearly; nope (although she tried); definitely not; no again; nope; aaaaaand… nope.

Check. No Tara happy so far. This will not do.

I think I have my new challenge.

So, here’s my promise: this series will not go away until Willow clearly gives Tara a mind-blowing happy. There will even be moaning and stuff. Deal?

Seriously though, two chapters are already drafted and I’ve begun work on a third, so there’s definitely going to be at least a couple more. I just want to do the whole beta-editing process and take my time on it. Also, time’s been tight with this new job (going well, thanks), so again, it’ll take longer than it used to to just finish the ones I started, what with all the distractions. After that, I’ll just play it by ear. It’s been starting to feel pointless lately, although knowing that there are people reading and liking what I’m producing definitely makes it less so. So, um, thank you. Really. But there will be more.

Now honestly, my next post in this thread will be an update.

binky

Post subject: Re: eTudes - Season 5 - Plenty of Magic - not an update yet
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:48 pm 
8. Vixen

Deal. :wtkiss

Post subject: eTudes - Season 5 - Plenty of Magic - updated Jan 15
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:25 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

On to season 5.

First thing though, a big, sincere thank you to Amy and Trom for betaing.

This is the first of three planned additional chapters set in Season 5. This set is titled Plenty of Magic. The chapter sequence is:

5.6.X – Happy Birthday – this chapter
5.10.X – Escalating Apparatus – posted last August
5.15.X – Cups (will be posted in a few weeks, probably)
5.19.X – Homo Triste – posted last August
5.22.X – Requiem and Return (will be posted after Cups)

You can go to my website if you want to re-read the most polished versions of the older vignettes/scene-studies or if you don’t want to browse through the previous posts of this thread to find them. CLICK HERE.

Notes/Disclaimers for Happy Birthday:

- A Willow-lite, Buffy-and-Tara-heavy chapter. Buffy/Tara. Can you think of a more boring canon pairing? Other than Riley/everyone-else, that is. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
- Story is rated T for Teen for some very mild sexual innuendo.
- Summary: Set during and just after Tara’s twentieth birthday party in “Family”. Tara contemplates her relationships with Willow’s friends.

binky

Post subject: Re: eTudes - Season 5 - Plenty of Magic - updated Jan 15
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:28 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Fanfic based on Joss Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Buffy, Giles, Xander, Anya, Tara, and Willow are property of Joss Whedon and Mutant Enemy. I am not making nor will I accept any money from this fiction. All hail Joss!

Title: Happy Birthday
Rating: Teen, for mild sexual content
Setting/background: during/after Tara's 20th birthday party in "Family"
Spoilers: to "Family"
Summary: Tara reflects on her relationships with Willow's friends.
Notes: Thoughts are in italics.
Acknowledgements: A sincere thank-you to Amy and Trom for beta-ing.
Feedback: Let’s try that reverse-psychology thing: “No, thank you.”

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

“You were quiet tonight, baby.”

“Was I?” Tara smoothed the tank top over her torso. A pair of boxers completed her bedtime ensemble. She climbed into her bed, pulling the blanket up over herself. Willow followed her, in a flannel pajama shirt and a pair of pale blue cotton panties for a bottom, her hand falling naturally to Tara’s hip. “I guess I still had a lot on my mind.”

“About your family?” Willow murmured into the back of her neck, stifling a yawn. It was just a little after midnight but it had been a very eventful couple of days, between the attack in the Magic Box by the Leiach demons and the confrontation with Tara’s family yesterday, the big drama of Tara not turning into a demon, and finally tonight’s surprise party. Perhaps the party had been one thing too many, but after seeing the look of first shock then delight on Tara’s face as they entered the Bronze, Willow had no doubt all the work and effort she had put into the evening for her sweetheart was more than worthwhile. Before she could stop herself the yawn came out, twice as wide for being stifled earlier.

Tara giggled as Willow’s yawn tickled at the baby-fine hairs at the nape of her neck. She pulled the bed sheet over them as they mutually molded themselves into a Willow-spooning-Tara position, wordlessly signaling sleep rather than the half-drape Willow-blanket that signaled something else, though Willow wrapped her limbs around Tara, which left the door open for more. “Um, yes… about my family.” She knew from the severity of the yawn that Willow was seconds from falling asleep, so she didn’t follow-up to clarify the shift in meaning the term had taken on since yesterday.

The truth was, since her father, Donnie and Beth had gotten back into the camper and left Tara to degenerate in her wicked ways with her unnatural friends, she had given her surviving blood relations little more than a passing second thought. Her thoughts instead were with her mother. Did you know, before you passed? Have you forgiven him? The Lord and Lady keep you, Mama.

Looking back at her childhood, she now felt dim-witted for not realizing that not once had she seen her mother’s demon surface despite her father’s dire predictions, even during those precious stolen times they had sat in the attic together by the secret, dim light of candles, her mother teaching her the basic principles of their religion and craft. At the time, her father had owed that fact up to the success of the “cure”—setting her mother and herself, when she was old enough, to work, practically every single hour on some household chore or farming labor when he couldn’t supervise the behavior of his wife and daughter himself.

“The idle hour belongs to the demon.”

Mama’s life should have been very different. Did he love you, in his own way? I’m not sure he ever loved me.

The weight of the thought felt like it could crush her. At that moment, she wasn’t sure if this knowledge about the man her father was was any more preferable to the fear, humiliation, and shame of believing she had a feral demon inside, lying in wait to take her over, mind, body and soul. Tara took a deep breath then consciously forced it from her lungs, along with that train of thought from her mind. She was determined to think only of good things like the family she had now and the home she had made for herself with the girl currently cocooning her as much with an aura of warmth and protection as with her small body. Tara’s gaze fell to the slim flannel-encased arm that lay across her ribcage, and she thought of what Willow had just said.

Had she been quiet tonight? She hadn’t thought so. She had expressed herself more tonight than at any time she could recall. At first, the amount of conversation buzzing around her had been a little overwhelming…

“Hey, while Ahn’s at the bar haggling over the next round, I heard this joke about a succubus and a vengeance demon.”

“Oh, this should be good. Did you get this hanging out at Willy’s during amateur stand-up hour again, or is this one from personal experience?”

Giles chuckled. “Ah, good question, Buffy.”

“Hey! Who’s telling the joke here?”

“Give him a chance, Buff. Xander can be really funny, sometimes without even trying.” Willow slurped on the last of her first drink.

“Uh, thanks, Will… I think. And what’s up with you, Slay-Stuff? You’ve been all extra bold and spicy with the sardonic wit lately. You’re not gonna stake me next, are you? Cause, you know, the quipping, usually a prelude to the…” Xander made a staking motion with his fist, “woody goodness action.”

Willow snorted, spilling some of her drink on herself. Even Tara smirked a little as she patted her girlfriend on the back.

“Wrong party, Xan,” Buffy pointed out the obvious.

“Yeah, that didn’t come out right. But you know what I mean. You feeling okay, Buffster? You’ve been kinda short with everyone lately.”

Buffy’s eyes narrowed. Willow chortled as she turned to Tara and whispered, “See what I mean?”

“You’re not going to help him?”

“Oh, he’ll be alright.”

“Uh, that didn’t come out right, either. That really didn’t come out right. For the record, I like my limbs. I’m attached to them—literally, of course, but emotionally too. And I’m allergic to pain. So please don’t dismember me. What I meant to say is,” and Xander instantly became serious, “are you alright, Buff? You seem a little tense lately.” They all turned their attention to Buffy.

A brief look of panic crossed Buffy’s face before she recovered. “Oh… Yeah. I guess I have been kinda snippy gal lately. Sorry, Xan. I’ve just had a lot on my mind.” She glanced briefly at Giles.

“Yeah? Care to bend your best friend’s ear about it?” Xander asked around a mouthful of peanuts.

“Uh, not really.”

“You sure?”

Tara elbowed Willow in the ribs. “OW!”

Tara whispered, “Sorry. I just thought maybe this would be a good time for you to ask Buffy to, um, go with you to the women’s room?”

“Huh? Why would I do that?”

“Well, because Xander can’t?”

It took Willow just a second more to cotton on. “Oh, right.” She turned back to Buffy. “Hey, Buff—”

“Yes. Sure. No. No talking necessary. I’m sorry, Xan. Really. Continue. Please. With your demon love story.”

“Okay. Let me clarify. It’s a joke. Not a love story. And it’s not an anecdote. Definitely NOT from personal experience this time…”

“Are you sure you don’t want to go to the women’s room with me, Buffy?” Willow blurted out.

“Huh? Why would I do that?”

Willow gave Tara an ‘I tried’ look.

Giles gently interrupted. “This doesn’t have anything to do with the, ah, new training schedule I’ve put you on, does it, Buffy?”

Buffy’s face was momentarily brilliant with relief. “Well, since you mentioned it, Giles…”

“We’ll discuss it later.”

“Great. Thank you, Boss-Watcher-Man, Sir.”

Giles’ trademark annoyed scowl crossed his features before he suddenly visibly brightened. “You will all excuse me, won’t you? I believe I see Ms. Olivetti. One of our finest patrons.” They all turned to look at the attractive middle-aged brunette who frequented The Magic Box. The casual witch always took the time to talk to Tara when the girl was helping out at the store those times she dropped by under the pretense of shopping, but actually just to flirt with the bachelor librarian-turned-shopkeeper. He reminded her of the Taster’s Choice™ actor from the commercials in the 80s. “I really should go greet her.” Giles stood up to Xander’s wolf whistle. “Really, Xander.” He left the table.

Tara would have to see the older woman herself to thank her for stopping by. She had also briefly seen Sandra earlier, as well as a few members of the campus Wicca group and the Lesbian and Gay Alliance. She wanted to share time with everyone who dropped by for her sake, but later. At the moment, she was, a little surprisingly, too comfortable exactly where she was. “So, h-how about that joke, Xander?”

“Well, okay. Here goes. Mr. Dixon is a 90-year old man who just married a 20-year old girl named—”

“Hey, whatcha guys talking about?” Dawn plopped herself down into Anya’s seat.

“Nothing you need to know about, Annoying One.” Buffy’s frown was back. “What time is it, anyway? Shouldn’t Mom have come to pick you up by now?”

“Um, Buffy, it’s only 8:30. Dawn should be okay still, shouldn’t she? Your mom w-won’t be expecting her yet?”

“Oh. Sorry. Force of habit. But you’re going home in 30 minutes if I have to take you home myself.”

“Gee, Buffy. 9:00 is still kinda early. You’d miss the party games if you left then,” Willow said.

“Th-There’s party games?”

“Of course there’s party games! To celebrate your big two-oh, you definitely need party games!”

“Ooo, I want to stay for the party games!”

“NO!” Buffy and Willow said simultaneously.

“Why can’t I?”

“Uh, Dawnie, the games are geared more toward twenty-something-year olds.”

“Well, you and Buffy are still teenagers.”

“Well, er, um…”

“Hey, yeah, why is that, Tara? You’re like, a whole year older than us. You weren’t left back a year in school, were you?”

“Of course she wasn’t, Xander!” Willow’s eyes flashed dangerously at him before turning to Tara. “You weren’t, were you, baby?”

“Uh, no.” Tara demurely lifted her drink to take a sip from the straw. She brought the beverage up to her face much closer than necessary.

“So spill, witch girl. What’s the why with that?” Buffy prompted.

Tara felt a little hot at all the attention. “W-Well, my birthday is the middle of October, obviously. Our, um, school district in Alabama? Th-they admitted students by age. So I w-was too young by a couple w-weeks to start w-with the other kids my age.”

“See? She’s no dummy.” Willow patted her knee under the table.

“Um, thank-you, sweetie.”

“Sweetie, huh? Cute! You two are SO CUTE together, you know that? So what other cute little nicknames do you have for each other?” Dawn gushed.

“Oh, well…” Willow frowned. As close as Buffy and she were, Dawn was also kind of like her annoying little sister by extension, though she thankfully had none of the actual big-sister responsibility.

“Um, uh, well…” Tara had a long time ago accepted that not everyone was comfortable with gay people. It wasn’t her place to educate someone as young as Dawn about it, especially when Buffy might still be a little uncomfortable about her relationship with Willow.

Sure enough… “DAWN! It is SO not appropriate for you to be asking that question!”

“Yeah, Dawnie, you know, I think maybe…” Willow paused in the middle of agreeing with her best friend when the nuances of Buffy’s words hit her. “Well… Why not Buffy? You don’t still have a problem with me and Tara—?”

“What? Why that… No! Of course not, Will! And when did I ever have a problem with you and Tara?” The two witches exchanged the briefest of looks, but Buffy caught it. Her face fell in a frown. “Really? You think that? Did I… really seem to…”

“M-Maybe just a little bit, Buffy. Just in the beginning?” Tara tried to mitigate.

Buffy’s lower lip trembled. “I’m like, the worst friend, ever. I make Xander shriek like a little girl…”

“Hey!” Xander protested.

“…I’m ungrateful to Giles for trying to make me the best Chosen One I can be, and I make you two uncomfortable about being out and loud and proud the way you should be. Out of Tara’s dorm room, too, I mean.”

“Hey!” Willow protested. Tara blushed.

“You more often than not suck at the big sister thing, too,” Dawn offered.

“But I’ve gotten better, haven’t I? I mean, I try to be support-o girl. It’s just that, 12 year olds—boundaries, necessary, right?”

“I’m almost 14 years old, Buffy!”

“Ignoring you.”

“What else is new?” Dawn glowered, not noticing Tara’s sympathetic smile. They were strangely in a similar situation. Tara would never volunteer it to Willow, but even the one year age difference only served to emphasize that for whatever reason, she wasn’t quite on the peer level of the original Scooby gang, or even Anya, for that matter, despite the fact that their respective relationships with Willow and Xander had begun almost at the same time.

“But, I mean, if you and Tara are okay with it, I guess I should be too. Okay, witchy duo. So what other kinds of pet names do you use for each other? You can skip the ‘sweeties’ and ‘cuties’, just go straight to ‘Goddess of Honeypots’ and the other good stuff.” Buffy smirked.

“Er…” “Um…” They really weren’t that loud, were they?

“So, Xan, that joke…?” Buffy turned glibly to him.

“Uh, well… Actually, the joke is kinda geared toward twenty-year olds, too.”

“Fine! I’ll go home if none of you want me here.” Dawn got up. Buffy’s face lit up.

The image of the young girl standing up to Tara’s father during the confrontation at The Magic Box was still fresh in Tara’s mind. “Hey, Dawn, come on. I want you here. I’m sure there’s something we can all do until your Mom comes to pick you up…?” Buffy’s face fell.

They were interrupted by a large tray carrying several drinks being slid onto the table, pushing the empty glasses to the side.

Slap! “OUCH!” Xander held the back of his head.

“Thank you very much for leaving me there to carry the drink tray by myself, Xander!”

“You know,” Tara said softly to Willow, “I’m beginning to think half the bruises you guys come home with after a night patrolling come from each other and not the vamps.” Willow just smiled.

“Hey, you’re small, but wiry and strong. I figured you could handle it.”

Willow handed Tara her drink and took another for herself from the tray. “So, Anya, how’d that whole haggling-for-alcohol thing go?”

“Your drink and Tara’s were free.”

“Really?” Willow was suitably impressed. “It actually worked? Cool!”

“Not so cool for Buffy or Xander. The price on theirs doubled.”

“No freaking way.”

“Yes freaking way, Xander. Apparently saving the lives of the patrons as well as the hired help of this fine establishment countless number of times stands for nothing compared to the modicum of property damage and personal injury, death, or maiming incurred during the 95%-of-the-time-successful rescue attempts!” Anya’s voice steadily rose as she attempted one final time to move the scowling barkeep.

“That, or possibly actually being the cause of some of said crises?” Willow muttered.

“What’s that, Miss I-was-a-teenage-dominatrix-vampire-in-a-parallel-universe-who-couldn’t-keep-my-teeth-out-of-any-bared-neck-I-saw-during-my-brief-visit-of-this-one?”

The resulting glarefest then Anya’s presence kept them from ever getting back to Xander’s joke, something which was teasing now at Tara’s brain. After Joyce had come shortly after 9:00 to collect her youngest daughter, the group broke up and mingled among the other non-Scooby attendees. Tara did, however, manage to spend more focused time with each of them later.

She spoke briefly with Mr. Giles before he, too left, shortly after Joyce and Dawn, amid Xander’s innuendo that there was perhaps a reason behind their closely staggered exits and Buffy’s resulting scowl. Tara intended to talk to him the next time she was at the Magic Box. She still needed to properly apologize for not approaching him earlier about her problem. She desperately wanted to let him know how much she respected him and his capabilities as a scholar and expert in the mystical world, her misguided attempt to keep her family’s secret to the contrary.

Anya tried to engage her in a round of “What Kind Of Inner Demon Are You?” but it hit a little too close to home, still. After, her attempt to explain the insect reflection joke fell flat. Not that it was that funny to begin with, but Anya’s literal-mindedness made all humor based on metaphor doubly doomed to failure. Still, Tara decided she liked the ex-Vengeance demon, despite the rivalry with Willow for Xander’s affection the two seemed to perversely relish. The things about Anya that made her grate against Willow’s nerves—her directness, and self-centeredness—those same things were what Tara actually secretly admired about Anya, maybe because they were traits she felt she could never own herself. They weren’t necessarily bad traits to have, and Anya made the most of them. There was also some common ground. Not quite knowing who they were as persons, yet. That Anya actually had been a demon for a thousand years, and her almost 20-year old belief that she would be turning into one. Or, maybe just the fact that both of them came into the Slayer party late, so to speak, as invited guests. But Tara didn’t mind being considered more or less a Willow accessory, for now. She knew it would just take a little time.

Xander, like Anya, had accepted her immediately and with ease. Most of his evening was spent by Anya’s side, though Tara’s overt and provenly consistent lesbianism prompted Anya into granting her immediate approval to Xander asking Willow’s girlfriend for a slow turn on the dance floor. One would think the Xander/Willow fluking incident might be an inappropriate story to entertain Tara with, but she laughed the whole time. As their dance ended, Xander presented his second gift to top the scented bath oils he and Anya had given her as her birthday present earlier. “You and Will look great together,” he said, smiling, as the last of the song died away. Awkwardly adding, “and I don’t mean that in the usual ‘can-I-watch?’ guy-thing kind of way,” did nothing to lessen the value of what Xander said. Tara assured him of that with her answering half-grin.

It was impossible to not like Xander. Remarkably little was hidden behind his outward jocularity. What was was nothing dark or threatening. A little insecurity, maybe, at not having any special power or skill to offer when the fight against the evil of the Hellmouth exceeded the capabilities of a lone slayer and her watcher, unlike the spells of a witch or the vast knowledge of a thousand-year-old ex-Vengeance demon. So, he did what he could—the research he complained vocally about, but was actually glad for as it gave him a way to contribute something other than the occasional axe-wielding which he was mediocre at, at best, or the thankless but necessary chore of cleaning up and fixing all the damaged furniture after the fighting was over. Xander’s insecurity was almost certainly compounded by being the only young male of the gang since Oz had left—Riley didn’t count, as he seemed to prefer being independent from Team Slayer. The fact that Tara tipped the scale even further toward the double-X side of things, however, didn’t seem to factor in Xander’s appreciation for her at all, for which she was extremely grateful. She easily saw how Willow could have had feelings for him. In fact, a different life, a different world, with someone as kind and generous and funny as Xander, even she, perhaps, could—

Okay, so it wouldn’t ever happen that way. They hadn’t talked about it yet, but one day soon, Tara would satisfy her curiosity and ask Willow about the whole muscles and penis thing. Or maybe she could ask Anya. No. She couldn’t ask Anya. It might get back to Willow. Anya would definitely let it slip to Willow. Better to just ask her recently gay girlfriend.

Of course, there was also Buffy, though Tara couldn’t imagine ever having that kind of talk with the Slayer.

The conversation with Buffy had been the one she had dreaded the most. It wasn’t for the fact that Buffy was Willow’s best and closest friend, that the two were as close as sisters. If it were only that, the initial freak-out Buffy had at learning her best friend had switched teams was something Tara knew the two could and would work out. It had more to do with the residual effects of Buffy being the Slayer and Tara believing, up until yesterday, that she would be turning into a demon today. Part of her still couldn’t not believe it, couldn’t let go of what her father had taught her for the eighteen years before she came to Sunnydale. In fact, what she had been doing since she left her father’s house, the lies, deflections, and cover-ups she had needed to commit to keep her secret, culminating in the fiasco of her curse yesterday. Didn’t that just prove the point? She couldn’t deny it. Beth and her father had been right about that. She was a selfish person, had acted badly, regardless of her reasons, and bad people didn’t deserve so much kindness or forgiveness.

The talk with Buffy had started as Willow, Xander, and Anya had begun to group-dance to a hard techno number, leaving Tara and Buffy to hold their table. They watched Xander and Willow spasm to the driving beats as Anya gamely tried to mimic their less challenging moves, mistaking them for typical young human behavior.

“Happy birthday, Tara.”

Tara turned as Buffy moved into the seat next to hers. Riley had run into another graduate student from the reorganized Psychology department and was having a beer with him, leaving Buffy free for a tête-à-tête with the older girl. “Thanks, Buffy. It is. A happy one, I mean.”

They watched their friends in a companionable silence a few moments before Buffy mused, “You were pretty surprised, huh?”

Tara nodded shyly. “W-Willow had me believing w-we w-were just going to have a quiet dinner together.”

“Not disappointed, were you?”

“No. Not at all.” Tara hesitated before adding, “This was, um, my first, you know? First actual birthday party, I mean.” She ended with a blush.

“Really?” Buffy was genuinely surprised, before recalling Tara’s father. “Oh.” It made sense.

They continued watching as a particularly ambitious dance move by Xander resulted in him careening into the six-foot linebacker-type behind him.

Tara broke the silence before it could become awkward. “Buffy? I just w-wanted you to know how sorry I am, again, for yesterday?”

“Pfft, forget about it, Tara. Wonky spells, surprise demon attacks, general mayhem and trashed furniture—all part of the Slayer benefits package.”

Xander and the football player were talking and gesturing to each other, rather animatedly. “Um, yes, I did kind of notice. Still…” She found she couldn’t continue to look at Buffy, and hung her head. “W-What I did really complicated things for you? Made it harder? You w-wouldn’t have had as much of the violence and broken things if it w-weren’t for me and my family and the spell I did.” It could’ve been the attack that killed you. “You… You could’ve been really hurt.”

Buffy’s eyes were on the dance floor and Xander’s new acquaintance now poking her friend in his chest. Xander clutched at the spot the fat forefinger had jabbed. She inwardly sighed, weighing if she should intervene. “Really, Tara, I’m kind of used to being the lotto prize every big, medium-sized, and half-pint demon trying to make its mark in this town goes after.” Buffy paused and looked at the other girl. “In fact, I prefer it that way.”

Buffy held her gaze. There was more. She wanted Tara to realize it, and say it out loud. “I put you in danger. And worse. Willow. I put Willow in danger. If anything had happened to her… And Xander and Anya, and… and Dawn. Dawn could’ve been… Oh Goddess.” Tara’s vision blurred. She was tearing. “I don’t know why you didn’t let my father take me.”

“Because it would’ve broken Will’s heart.” Buffy said quietly. She took a sip of her drink, as much to give herself a moment as to wet her mouth. “And Dawn’s. You probably noticed, my sister’s kind of attached to you.” She placed her empty glass back down on the table. Anya was now in the gorilla’s face, Willow backing her. “Plus, like I said, you are family, Tara.”

Tara hadn’t looked up. An old adage came to mind. “‘You can’t choose your family.’”

“Why not?” Buffy asked, in all seriousness.

Tara looked at Buffy squarely. “What happened yesterday will never happen again.”

Buffy smirked. “Oh, so you’re promising no more demon attacks and wonky spells and busted furniture? What? You know something Giles doesn’t?” Her eyes widened in mock horror. “It’s not another prophecy is it? Because if it’s another prophecy…?”

Tara smiled and ducked her head. “No. I mean, no more secrets.”

Buffy’s smile lessened a little. “That’s just as hard, sometimes.”

Tara hesitated, wondering if it was her place. “Did you w-want to talk about it w-with someone—” Tara paused. She had been about to say ‘someone from the outside.’ “Did you want to talk about it, Buffy? Um, experienced secret-keeper, right here,” she offered, smiling awkwardly.

Buffy rolled her eyes at her friend’s self-deprecating dig. “No. It’s all right, but thanks.” She looked out into the dance floor. Amazingly, Mr. Muscles had backed down to Anya. “That woman is scary amazing,” Buffy muttered to herself. She turned back to Tara. “There is one thing I really need to know, though.” Buffy was smiling cheekily. “Who picked the matching outfits for you two tonight?”

“Oh.” Tara’s forehead crinkled into a frown. “I don’t know… I think w-we each picked out our own. They just turned out to be similar, somehow. Kind of, um, like synchronicity?”

“Oh” Buffy said.

“Y-You don’t like them?”

“Well, they’re a step up I guess from the cartoon character print shirts that make up half of Will’s wardrobe.”

“Oh… Is there something wrong w-with Willow’s casual clothes?”

Buffy pursed her lips for a second before replying, “Uh, no. Not at all. It’s fantastic that you two are so in synch with each other, you even dress alike without even consulting! It must’ve been great, you know, one of those perks of being gay, huh? Suddenly, uh, realizing you could potentially double your wardrobe with the right girl!”

Tara inwardly grinned at the Buffy-babble but managed to keep her poker face until Buffy looked sheepishly away. The skills she’d learned those eighteen years deflecting Dad’s or Donnie’s attention were as sharp as ever.

The rest of the evening had passed uneventfully. At the end of the night, Xander and Anya had given them a ride home and helped them take Tara’s presents up to her dorm room. Willow was like a little child as she looked through Tara’s birthday loot. A little while later, they were settling into bed.

With the excitement of all that had happened the past two days finally waning, Tara had the chance to ponder it all. She concluded, as she lay her arm over Willow’s around her chest, that this was the benefit of having birthday parties rather than something more intimate, like the romantic dinner with Willow she had been expecting, or a shared bubble bath or hot monkey sex. This had been her first time, but she caught on quickly. Things like the party tonight were about one’s relationships with others, and how those relationships define an individual. Each person was, when you got down to it, just the juncture of several relationships. The more interstices that bound one to others, the richer the life. Tara felt blessed to have so much family at the tender age of twenty.

Willow’s arm tightened around her torso and her thigh pressed more firmly against Tara’s leg. She nuzzled through the blond hair tucked behind Tara’s ear. Tara felt Willow’s front press up against her behind, and it was enough to stir her desire. Of course, hot monkey sex after the group get-together had its own specific charm, too. Her fingers interlaced with Willow’s just underneath her breast. She raised the delicate hand to her lips to kiss Willow’s fingertips then guided it back down beneath her breast, then further down to her waist. She stopped there, wondering if they should go further tonight. She was suddenly not feeling so tired after all. “Willow?” she whispered.

“Tara… The monkey queen is eating all the peanut butter…”

The right corner of Tara’s mouth curled up as she settled back against Willow’s sleeping form. There was plenty of time for the other kinds of celebrations. In fact, they had all the time in the world.

END DRAFT

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:59 pm 
5. Willowhand

Hi. I do believe that this was the first fleshing out of Tara's birthday party that I've ever come across besides purely Willow/Tara stories. I liked how you fleshed out Tara's party with time to talk to each of the Scoobies. I really liked the subtle inclusion of the Xander/football-player-type guy confrontation with Anya being the one to intimidate the guy. LOL I can totally see Anya getting in someone's face over threatening Xander. Really liked the talk with Buffy as well. I will be looking forward to your next update.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:01 pm 
2. Floating Rose

great update, You may not have a lot of "smut" written in your stories but you imply enough so that my imagination takes over maybe I just carried on the smut in my head and thought it was part of the story, my bad. I am going to keep checking for your updates and looking foreward to what happens next.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next