The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 711 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Van Rosenberg (Updated 29 Apr)
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:56 am 
18. Breast Gal

Topics: 4
I've been a bad feedbacker - seems I never get caught up on my reading some days :ashamed (And I almost just carelessly put in a yawning smiley instead of the 'ashamed' smiley because they look the same before they go into their animations, which would have been totally wrong.) I think I'm going to have to go back and read this all through from start to finish again - there's so much to it, layers upon layers, that I'm sure I'm missing a lot reading it in bits while I'm coding the web pages for Looking-glass. (Oh, speaking of the pages - that new title graphic you posted here is lovely, I hope you and Foo don't mind me using it.)

I was struck just recently by how much the 'world' of this story has remained more or less unchanged from its beginning, with Willow at the Museum and Tara watching her from afar - we've learned so much about what was behind that world, and some of it (Willow obviously, and Faith and Lara) have changed, but it's surprising to think how much of this story has been revelation of what was there all along, rather than moving forwards into a new place. I don't mean that in a negative way at all, it's very compelling to fathom these complex, conflicted characters and all the twists and turns their relationships have had over the years. No-one is what they seemed.

The skull being part of Willow caught me completely off guard - I do wonder now whether that'll affect her in any concrete ways, besides the obvious psychological implications of knowing she's partly made of it. She's already 'made of' two people, Willow Rosenberg and Willow Van Helsing - is the skull going to emerge as a part of her as well? It would be a nice (if kind of creepy, until you get used to it) symmetry between her and Tara - just like Tara is the Tara who used to be and the memory of the Tara who was soulless and the Tara who is now, who contains both of those people and is a new person besides, Willow would have her own three-way personality, herself and her older self and the 'memory' of what the skull used to be. That's a muddled sentence.

This is a really wonderful story, and I'm sorry I haven't been around to say it more.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 2:25 pm 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

Topics: 1
Diane: Hi there, close call smut is almost as nice but not quite I know! Still, I had to throw the Kittens a wee bone. Hopefully I can deliver those promised explosions.
I know I don’t shift my POV much during chapters, and I’m not entirely sure why I did it with this particular one, maybe a lot of thoughts needed to be expressed!
Thanks very much…we’re definitely getting close to something big, I can promise you that!

safuega: I’m pleased to hear that I got you, not much seems to escape your careful observations! Yes, clever words distinctions indeed, there’s me putting my law degree to good use!
The parallels between this love scene and the one in the alley were very clear and blatant, but I knew a lot of reader’s would remember that scene so I think it worked very nicely. As soon as it started happening, triggers would have been set off, harking back to the previous scene and making it all feel just a little icky despite the long awaited smoochies.
Although Tara knows that she must stop thinking with her heart and do as Willow does, think with her heart…I think she believes that she has changed, she’s still thinking with her head, but she’s got Willow’s best interests at heart, it’s only a minor change and not quite enough to get them where them need to be.
Some very nice predictions there, and I can only hope that I can deliver the next chapter soon to give you the next piece of the puzzle. Trust me when I say you’ll be surprised.

wimpy0729: Yes, it seems that old Abe died with more than a few secrets of his own! Still, he was a creepy old coot there at the end so it shouldn’t really be too surprising. Glad to have baffled you about the whereabouts of the skull, it was awfully fun reading everyone’s predications as to where it would be and they were all really good ideas which would have worked, still this one works for me and its going to work for the ending that I want to achieve.
Yes, I did tease a little in allowing readers to think that they would finally get to the loving after all this time…but not quite yet. But I do agree that they need to get on with it pretty soon!
I do have a few things in store next, although you’ll have to stay tuned and hope I can finish the next chapter speedily, it’s almost there!

moonbug: I did churn out the last few updates pretty fast! Although I can’t say the same about the current chapter…but it is coming along nicely. I am a pretty big tease, yes and no, no quickie for Willow and Tara because I’m mean like that.
I agree in that there is a wee bit of a pickle (nicely put) if our girls want to be together. Although I do have everything worked out so you’ll jut have to trust me that I will fix everything.
Yes, I am a huge fan of the "brooding and wistful longing" you mention and I’m glad you think I do it well…I do spend a lot of time writing it after all! But it does get a little depressing after a while, the next chapter is a wee bit lighter I promise (although I don’t know how its possible for anything to be light at this time and especially not with a chapter title like Love and Sacrifice!).

Nenyath: And thank you for de-lurking to say how much you’ve been enjoying this fic, that always gives me an extra burst of motivation. Yes, I have worked with quite a few characters in this story and at times it has been difficult to flesh them all out but each one is special and deserves their own space.
Yes, Willow and Tara must have each other, that is a given but the real mystery is how we will achieve that most desirable goal! I will get there somehow.
I’m glad you enjoy reading VampTara, I’ve had a lot of fun writing her and she’s turned out to be an amazingly complex character, they both have really…and you know I love having our girls kick some arse!

EmsInNZ:
Quote:
Intensely hot even?
Yes I will accept that! Although not as hot as it could have been of course.
You should know that I always have at least a few tricks up my sleeve and the skull’s location was no exception…but as horribly awesome as it sounds, I don’t think I could bring myself to have Willow killed (again) by her one true love in a spectacular and horrific sacrificial frenzy (nicely phrased).
Ahh, a Wellingtonian, I can’t fathom why you would want to leave this gorgeous city…unless you don’t like wind!

LittleBit: I hope you got your breath back! Thanks very much.

Zooeys Bridge: Ah, one of these 2am people, I don’t know how you do it. I am always safely tucked up in my bed at 2am let alone awake and able to read something!
You’re right to get excited at the mention of Willow and Tara, it’s amazing how few and far between that simple pairing has been in this story. Still, it’s a testament to the patience of Kittens who keep reading despite the lack of that! I agree, it is just the best damn phrase.

Zampsa1975: Yes, things are definitely interesting right now, and that’s the biggest question hanging over their heads, I’m sure it’s causing Giles to tear out what little hair he has left.
I’m sure Tara will resolve her inner conflict…in time for a happy ending at least!

katjetson: Yes, things are in a bit of a pickle right now. Is that an understatement! Nice analogy to the Terminator, I love those movies! Glad to see you came to your senses and decided to read the update at a civilised hour!
Their reunion was more than a little uneasy at this time but the longing and the need is definitely there.
I promise there will be no more destroying of our beloved characters (I don’t think I could take it!)…but a solution to Willow’s little problem does need to be found of course. I like the idea of miracle cabbage soup!
And trust me, the little ‘L’ word will be mentioned at an appropriate stage sometime soon!

Paint the Sky: I’m not pleased to hear that I almost made you miss the bus or burn your pizza, I will try to make the next update not quite as exiting so you will not miss anything! Or I could just not post it at the same time!

Like other kittens, I too believed that the skull had been buried with WVH, but dismissed that as too obvious, my second thought, on AVH’s death was that it was in the foundations of the British Museum, I always considered this the safest place, and somewhere the resurrected Willow would end up there somehow.
Quote:
The words Occam’s razor are screaming in my head at this point.

That would be a valid conclusion except that I never seem to go for the simple solutions so of course the skull being with Willow was dismissed as to obvious...tricky! glad you enjoyed the little mislead.
I almost feel bad about torturing Tara throughout the course of this fic…but then again I’ve had so much fun along the way! I should really start giving the poor woman/vampire a break. Stay tuned!
Quote:
Just another day in Angstville!

Where else would we be?

Morningstar: Hi there, glad you enjoyed the update and the surprise location of the skull. I hope you did a few silent ‘ewwwws’ in your head because that was definitely called for with all the flesh ripping and what-not.

Polarbear: Another 2am reader! You people are crazy…or at least sleep deprived!
Yep, old Abe was completely correct, it seems he wasn’t letting on a few things a the end. Very weird indeed…
There’s not much in this story that does lead to hugs and puppies…but don’t be too worried, trust that I will resolve everything nicely!

WillowRulez: Yep, all sorts of weird and wacky things going on around the skull, I’m glad you enjoy the angst because there has been a lot of it in this story…one day it will end!

JustSkipIt: Hi there Deb, you did write an epic didn’t you. Van Rosenberg was probably the most clearly realised fic of any that I have written, although in saying that, while I plan out all the details, things definitely change throughout the course of writing. Mostly smaller details but sometimes big things have changed too. But I do love the creative environment of the Kitten and responding to people’s feedback is definitely the best way to write. For example, everyone loved Faith and they let me know about it, so I’ve included more Faith in this fic than I originally intended and also the relationship between her and Lara.
Thanks very much for your high praise indeed, although I don’t think I am in the same league as Unexpected consequences or Sidestep…I just get carried away writing and I love seeing what emerges as much as the Kittens reading the story. You’re almost spot on with the word count, I’m at 233,500 (although that’s including the current chapter and the plot outlines for the remaining chapters so I would say that the completed chapters are at about 220,000).
I’m glad you’re fascinated with the whole skull being a part of Willow, there is a bit of ambiguity around the physical presence of the bones in the resurrection spell but I had intended it to be that her body would essentially be reborn from the bone dust.
Quote:
Secondly, how was Tara able to turn the skull to dust given that Giles has been so unable to destroy it using magical means for centuries?
Giles was trying to destroy the skull for centuries. It was so simple but it never occurred to him that he could change it into something like dust.
Quote:
I also want to finish by saying that I've now read your tag line a few hundred times and always assumed it referred to Tara.
You know what, I wrote it to refer to Willow’s ability to kill Tara…and realised at some point that it refers to both of them quite nicel.

WolfDragonGod; Thanks very much!

JujuDeRoussie: Sorry to hear you’re going a wee bit crazy :p Just kidding, I’m sure you shouldn’t need to worry about your health!
Willow’s struggles weren’t nice for her but I’m glad you found them nice to read. I know Tara needs a big old slap in the face, the are many forces at work here that contrive to keep our girls apart…mostly the forces are just me being mean!
And don’t worry too much about Tara, she can kick arse quite nicely.

masterjendu: Hi there Jen, no worries at all about the tardiness! I’m a little late myself with the next chapter.
I do love how Tara’s cloak has become a character all of its own accord, that’s one thing I never planned from the start but it just seemed to develop a life of its own. It’s all in the little details and I’m glad you enjoy them because I love reading a good detailed story (although sometimes you can go a little overboard with the detail but I think I’ve got the level about right). Haha, yes, nice analogy to ‘V’ with the skin peeling. That show used to scare me but I can’t have been all that old when it first came out.
Quote:
Poor Willow with all of her multiple personalities. Maybe she needs to add Creepy Captain to her Willow Van Rosenberg. And K, so the skull is in Will. Does that mean it can’t be used to resurrect the Captain?

Poor Willow indeed, stay tuned to find out what happens….there is something planned of course!
Quote:
And like everyone else I cannot get the image of Scarlet Faith outa my noggin! You should be awarded a medal of some sort for that image alone!
seeing that everyone enjoyed scarlet Faith so much I shall have to bring her out for another viewing!

Artemis: Hi there Chris, yes, you’ve been a bad feedbacker but given your general awesomeness you can pretty much be forgiven. I certainly don’t mind having the new graphic on Looking Glass as it’s so dang cool! Is it hard to put a credit for Foo somewhere on the page?
I agree with your nice little analysis, nothing really has changed too much in where our characters are at, physically anyway…up until now when everything is finally coming down to it. You’re right to point out that much of this story has simply been a revelation of what has already happened and our present characters, for all that they seemed to be involved, could do nothing to change the story. From now on however, they will have their fate in their own hands.
Yes, the skull, I should imagine that having something so nasty inside of you has bound to have side-effects and it certainly does create another facet to her character…just how important and dominating it is however remains to be seen. Thanks very much for stopping by Chris!

Alright, the next chapter is ticking along, it's a little less intense than previous chapters but I hope you enjoy it all the same. I hope to have it posted tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:17 am 
3. Flaming O

Next chapter ticking along? Sounds really great!! I have missed this story, although I did try and keep myself occupied with one of your previous fics, which was really good too! :sigh And they got eachother despite every odds!
Quote:
the real mystery is how we will achieve that most desirable goal! I will get there somehow.
I'm sure you will and meanwhile I will enjoy every nook and cranny in the plot and the angst which it generates!
Quote:
that always gives me an extra burst of motivation.

Can I admit that this was my intention? :sh Nah, you deserve it alright with this writing, I mean, if it wasn't the characters from Buffy you used, you could publish this! :glasses
[/quote]and you know I love having our girls kick some arse![/quote]
So do I!

Looking forward to the next chapter!:x

~The Show Must Go On by Queen

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:28 pm 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

Nenyath: Many thanks for your extra encouragement, it has spurred me to finish the next chapter and post it without delay...even though I'm crazily busy at work!

Chapter 38 – Love and Sacrifice

Night had long since descended and a definite chill had crept into the air, but neither of these things bothered the figure hunched in the shadows of a large oak. In fact, he preferred the night…and the chill he did not feel in the slightest.

Marcus folded his arms across his thin chest, bared by the open shirt he wore, and glanced out towards the seemingly inconsequential cemetery in the middle of nowhere. He felt like uttering a small grunt of disgust but it was pointless, it was exactly the same thing he had done every night for the past two months…and in that time nothing had changed. He did not mind the night or the cold, what he did mind was the boredom.

Watch the cemetery, he thought to himself, repeating the orders he had be given, She may visit…and she may not…and I would have wasted all this time staring at a graveyard. I can think of better ways to spend my immortality. Marcus turned his gaze away from the church…it irritated him if he stared at it too long. He then slumped back against the tree at his back with a sullen expression on his face. Still, he supposed he could hardly complain when he was so far down the hierarchy…his superiors would have no qualms destroying him and simply choosing another lackey to watch the cemetery.

Marcus had no way of knowing that at least one of the nights during his tenure in Hampshire would be interesting, just as he had no way of knowing that it would be his last.

There was almost no warning, just the distant hooting of a startled owl. Marcus glanced up only to see a dark shape swooping from the tree above. He barely had time to think about uttering a scream before a blade flashed in the darkness and severed his head. His watch was effectively ended.

With Dracula’s lone guardian now mere particles drifting in the wind, Tara reluctantly turned her attention to the small garden of headstones nestled in the unkempt grass. As she walked forward, she could already see the particular one she sought. Tara paused just short of the headstone for it was the coffin that lay beneath it that she was there to examine. With her stomach crawling, Tara began to murmur the spell that would carve the earth from Willow’s grave for the second time.

~~~~~~

Rupert Giles barely had to wait a second after rapping his knuckles on the great black door of Gordon Square. His arm was still raised when it swung inwards to reveal the smiling face of young Myles Cavendish. Despite the continual threat of violence from the creatures of the night and the instability of his housemates, living at Gordon Square appeared to agree with the young man if his beaming smile was anything to go by. Giles did however frown with concern as Myles immediately opened the door wide to usher him inside.

“Security is a bit lax, Mr Cavendish!” Giles commented sternly. “Especially in times such as these.”

“I assure you it is not, Mr Giles sir,” Myles replied quickly, shifting slightly so that Giles could see the crossbow strapped to his back. “I had you in my sights from the moment you turned into Gordon Square!”

At that moment Faith emerged from the kitchen carrying a tray laden with bread and cheese, she snorted slightly as Myles swung the crossbow into his hands and aimed it at a point beyond Giles to show his skill, “You need fear ending up with a bolt in your forehead, Giles, not unless you were as wide as you are tall…we’re still working on Myles’s aim.”

Myles looked slightly offended but he shrugged it off affably and re-shouldered his crossbow. He did take a special interest in the bread and cheese on Faith’s tray as he followed her into the parlour. Giles hung his own coat on the rack by the door and joined them. The Van Helsing’s taste in furnishings never failed to amuse him, even at a time when he could draw little amusement from other sources; he found the black and white contrasts decidedly odd and stark. They were definitely more a reflection of the middle-aged Abraham Van Helsing than either sibling in their impetuous youth.

Curled in one corner of a large black sofa was a rather pale and drawn Willow. Giles noted the manner in which Faith sat protectively at her side as she set the tray down in front of them both. Myles swooped immediately, seizing a sizeable wedge of cheese and a hunk of bread before returning to his post at the window with the crossbow balanced on his lap.

“How are you keeping?” Giles asked the redhead with an attempt at a warm smile on his face. The question sounded empty and formulaic to his ears.

“Aside from the fact I’ve recently learned I have a demonic skull lurking inside of me…I’m peachy,” Willow replied, playing with a loose strand of wool on the robe she wore. She reluctantly accepted a soft piece of bread from Faith but did not make any attempt to eat it.

“It’s only a theory…” Giles began hopefully.

“I know it’s there, Giles,” Willow interrupted in a firm voice that would brook no nonsense.

Giles nodded uncomfortably and changed the subject slightly, “I understand Tara has gone to Hampshire?”

At the mention of the blonde vampire’s name, Giles saw a slight flush creep across Willow’s cheeks. Just as he raised his eyebrows in surprise, she turned her head. It was not a particularly effective tactic as he could still see the curve of one very pink cheek. Giles did not know quite what to make of this new realisation, had they been in another situation at a less perilous time he supposed he might have been happy for the young woman. As it was, he worried that it would cause unnecessary difficulties throughout what was to come…despite the fact that it was hardly surprising. Even he had to admit that Willow and Tara belonged together; it was just that Willow had come to that realisation at an unfortunate time. Giles helped himself to a wedge of cheese and took a seat on a black ottoman.

“She has gone to examine my coffin,” Willow finally replied, her cheeks had lost some of their pink glow as she turned to face Giles.

“Ewww,” Myles announced from his position at the window, “Will you not be all mouldy and wormy?”

Myles’s face quickly lost its mock grimace beneath the combined disapproving stares of Faith and Giles. Willow however smirked slightly, pleased to have the heavy air hanging in her parlour dissipated by a brief moment of levity.

“It’s alright Myles…there’s nothing in the coffin, at least not any bones anyway. Tara ground them to dust to create my new body and that’s why we believe the skull is inside me,” Willow commented, surprised at how easily the admission flowed from her lips.

Myles’s grimace returned quickly, along with a hint of fascination, “Okay…that is decidedly worse than either mould or worms.”

Faith coughed loudly, “Myles, stop talking for heaven’s sake.”

“I was just saying…” Myles turned his attention back to the window for a brief moment before his curiosity got the better of him and he turned back to Willow. “I mean, you have to destroy the skull…how is it going to come out?”

“That’s the real question,” Willow commented, turning away from Myles to stare directly at Giles who was sitting rather stiffly on his ottoman.

“Myles…window!” Faith barked.

Myles turned around swiftly and pressed his face to the window with concentration enough to convince Faith he was done asking questions. In the wake of Myles’s innocent curiosity the room was filled only with tense silence. It remained that way for several minutes until Willow sat up a little straighter, she then leant forward and replaced the uneaten hunk of bread Faith had given her earlier back on the tray.

“I think we should continue with our plans, we have the skull, we take it to Covasna and use Giles’s destruction spell to undo its evil once and for all,” Willow announced confidently, ignoring the look of horror that passed quickly over Faith’s face.

“And I say there’s no way in hell that we would keep to that plan!” Faith spluttered as she leapt to her feet, “It’s a bloody suicide mission and I won’t stand for it!”

“Faith…” Willow tried to interrupt her friend but her voice came out broken and soft.

If Faith had heard Willow at all, she ignored her and turned to Giles, continuing in an adamant, angry tone, “Tell her she’s being bloody ridiculous and you’ll refuse…”

“Faith!” This time Willow also rose to her feet, her gaze shining with a fierce determination. Faith paused mid sentence and acknowledged Willow with an angry glare. The redhead continued, “If I’m willing to risk it then that should be the end of it.”

Obviously Willow’s argument was less than convincing as Faith continued, “Giles please tell her she’s not going to go through with her hair brained scheme! Tell her the spell will kill her!” she protested as she whirled back to face Giles.

“I’m sorry Faith but it’s my decision…regardless of what Giles says,” Willow nodded towards the warlock who had a nervous expression on his face as he was forced to face the two strong-willed women.

“Giles?” Faith repeated insistently as though the old warlock was her last hope for reason.

Giles shifted his posture uncomfortably, he was staring at Willow who was still looking stubbornly at the floor, “I honestly cannot say what effect the spell will have on Willow…it was designed to destroy the skull…”

“But not while it was inside someone!” Faith gasped in horror, flabbergasted that he was not instantly refuting Willow’s decision.

Giles shrugged sadly, “No…but than again I am not about to refuse to perform the spell, I have seen what Dracula’s army is capable of and I swore never to let it scour the earth again…if Willow is willing to risk the spell…” his voice trailed off as he was unable to finish.

Willow finally looked up and she nodded towards Giles in thanks. The warlock however did not look pleased that he had sided with her and he was unable to hold her gaze. He nibbled on his wedge of cheese with little enthusiasm. She turned her attention back to Faith who had by now turned a nasty shade of green.

“You do not have to accompany me, Faith,” Willow announced quietly, “But I will be leaving to begin my journey to Covasna tomorrow night and your presence would greatly bolster my spirits.”

Faith looked wounded for a moment before straightening her back and thrusting her chin forward defiantly, “I think you’re being exceptionally foolish, more so …I normally would not condone any of your foolish actions and I certainly do not condone this one…but I would not be anywhere else other than at your side.” As Willow smiled and nodded gratefully in response Faith marched forward and seized her elbow. “And now you are going back to bed, the least I can do is see you start out in good health…even if you’re not in your right mind!”

With a last glance over her should towards Giles, Willow was lead out of the room by Faith. No doubt the brunette would try once more to try and talk Willow out of her plans…and Giles knew that she would fail. Once Willow had set her mind to something…she was unflappable in her resolve. He sighed again and crammed the remainder of his wedge of cheese into his mouth. He swallowed and it grated against his throat as though it were sand.

It was only then that Giles remembered that Myles had been in the room throughout the whole conversation. He turned to see that the young man was still at his post, still with his eyes fixed on a distant point outside. Giles could see his reflection however, and he clearly saw the gleam of tears in the young man’s eyes. It was easy to dismiss the young man’s concerns but he obviously had a great depth of feeling for Willow, he just could not express himself as vehemently as Faith.

“Myles, you can rest too…no doubt you will need all your strength for the journey to Covasna,” Giles said quietly. The young man turned with a suddenly hopeful look in his eyes and Giles nodded to confirm that he had in fact just given him permission to make the journey to Covasna. “I’ll take over the watch.”

Myles beamed as he left the window and pressed the crossbow into Giles’s waiting hands, “Thank you very much, Mr Giles. You will not regret this I assure you!”

“We’re not going on a picnic, Myles,” Giles cautioned him.

The smile disappeared from the young man’s face to be replaced by a serious expression that made him seem older, “The last visit to Covasna was certainly no picnic…and I believe I acquitted myself admirably.”

“That you did, Myles,” Giles replied with a warm smile, “That you did.”

Before he left the room, Myles helped himself to the bulk of the bread and cheese remaining on the tray. With his departure Giles was left alone in the room, he set the crossbow aside as he possessed other, more effective, means of attack.

He suddenly wished he had not sent Myles away so quickly, the room was all too empty and he had the strange longing for company. Giles turned his attention to the two portraits hanging above the black fireplace; one of course was of Willow Van Helsing, and the other, Abraham. It saddened the old warlock to stare at Van Helsing as a young man with his smooth, strong jaw-line and vibrant thatch of red hair. His green eyes had not danced as merrily as they did in the painting in the years following Willow’s death. Until he laid eyes on the painting, Giles had immense difficulty remembering Abraham as a young man. The memories he had were mostly of the bitter, twisted old man who had been unable to let go of his vengeance.

Two paintings, the faces of two siblings, tortured and forever changed by their connection to the underworld and its denizens. At that moment Giles swore that he would do everything in his power to see Willow safely through the coming days. He would find a way to safely destroy the skull, no matter the cost to himself. He folded himself onto one of the black sofas and found it decidedly comfortable despite its appearance.

Almost three hours passed, Giles found himself drifting in and out of a sort of sleep in which he dreamt mostly of the skull. Although he considered himself fully alert and aware of his surroundings, apparently that was not the case.

“Giles.”

The warlock felt his heart almost leap out of his chest at the sudden interruption. Now wide awake he placed his hand on his chest before turning to see Tara standing in the shadows next to the window, once again wearing her cloak. She drew the hood back as she stepped forward into the gas light.

Giles thought that she appeared slightly dishevelled, although considering this was Tara, dishevelled merely meant that her clothing was rumpled and a few strands of her hair were out of place. He could tell that she was feeling the strain of having travelled a fair distance in a short amount of time, her shoulders sagged slightly and she chose to sit on the edge of one of the sofas. Despite her exhaustion, she remained sitting upright with a straight back as though she felt uncomfortable to be sitting at all.

“Gordon Square was being watched…as one would have expected,” Tara announced quietly, she brushed the folds of her cloak and a great deal of dust fell to the floor. “It is being watched no longer.”

“How many were there?” Giles asked.

“Five…but only one caused me any real difficulty,” Tara shrugged before she continued, “Tomorrow night there will no doubt be more. If we are going to leave, then we must leave soon.”

“Our suspicions have been confirmed?” Giles asked even though the question wasn’t necessary. He turned back to stare at Willow’s portrait, as though fixing the young woman squarely in his mind.

“Yes…I found nothing physically save an empty coffin and one of Dracula’s lowliest bottom-feeders watching over the cemetery,” Tara too stared at the portrait, a wistful expression passed over her serene features, as though she would rather prefer to be staring at the woman herself. After a moments silence between the two of them, she was prompted to continue revealing her findings as Giles turned to face her. “It was difficult to say the least…but I did manage to pick up a faint residue in the coffin itself, the residue of something so foul it made me sick to my stomach.”

“The skull,” Giles added unnecessarily, “It was there.”

Tara cast her eyes to the roof, as though she could see through the ceiling and into the room where Willow no doubt lay sleeping, “And now it is here.”

Giles studied Tara as she tilted her head upwards, he could not read her expression but he knew her discovery pained her greatly. It was a useless observation. Tara was in love with Willow, how could it not pain her? He gave her just a few moments out of respect for the emotions that were no doubt coursing through her mind before pressing on with their urgent business.

“The skull is an object of immense dark magic…do you think it odd that Willow has not felt any effects from its power?” Giles asked.

“She says she has not…and I would of course take her word for that. Why however, I cannot say,” Tara shook her head. “It troubles me to no end…and also especially the fact that it took you so long to concoct the destruction spell in the first place. How much longer will it take you to write one that takes into account the location of the skull?”

Giles looked guilty and it took Tara just a moment to realise that the warlock had absolutely no intention of writing a new spell to take into account the fact that it was inside Willow. She shivered. “You mean to take her to…Covasna?” she could barely choke out the name of the place, “And perform the spell regardless? Giles how could you…”

“You know I would not take her anywhere or do anything to her without her consent,” Giles said quickly. “Willow has made the decision to leave tomorrow night…and I have supported that decision.”

“Willow,” Tara whispered, her body finally sagging to the point where she slumped back in her seat. “What effect will the spell have on her, Giles?”

“I honestly do not know, Tara,” Giles admitted, “But I will do my best to try and modify the spell within reason…however I am fearful that any slight change will render the spell impotent and ruin our past sacrifices…you must understand.”

“I…understand,” the simple words sounded as though they were forced out with great difficulty. Tara had to pause and draw a breath before continuing just as reluctantly. “She has already given her life once for the skull…I know she would do it again in an instant.”

“And we will do everything in our power to ensure she survives this time around…” Giles’s voice slowly faded, Tara had stopped paying attention to him. She had risen to her feet and was moving towards the door. He knew she intended to go to Willow. It was what he would do…had he ever felt so strongly about someone. A small sigh of reluctance escaped his lips; he paused with his mouth open for a few seconds as though thinking better of his words. “I realise you don’t want to leave Willow at this time,” Giles began quietly.

The words had no sooner left his mouth, than Tara’s attention instantly refocused on Giles. She turned and interrupted in a curt tone, “You are right, I do not want to leave Willow.”

Tara momentarily considered ignoring Giles’s as yet unspoken request and making her way to Willow. They had so little time and she wanted more than anything to hold the small redhead in her arms as tightly as possible, for as long as possible…she hoped somehow that would be enough to stop time in its tracks.

Yet she knew that expression on Giles’s face…and she also knew that he would not be asking if it was not urgent. She knew without him asking her anything that to refuse would mean risking everything…especially Willow’s already endangered life.

“What do you want me to do, Giles?” Tara asked quietly, reluctantly.

“Tara, you know I cannot compel you to do anything…” Giles sensed that reluctance and appeared apologetic.

She was not impressed by his attempt at explanation and she turned on him with her arms folded stubbornly across her chest. “Do not play that card with me Giles,” she reproached him sternly. “You know full well I have done everything you have ever asked of me…and more, though it has cost me dearly to do so.”

Giles was momentarily taken aback before he bristled with a slight anger. “You speak as though you have had no free choice in your actions.”

“Have I?” Tara began angrily. However she did not follow up her angry retort. She bit her lip to silence herself and waved her hand to cut Giles off before he could say anything further. “Now is not the time for arguing, just tell me what you want me to do?”

“Go to Hagley Park,” Giles announce resolutely, his head nodding slightly as he did so.

Hagley Park. Just the name of the place was enough to bring a small, sad smile to Tara’s lips…even at such a trying hour. She had spent her happiest days at the Van Helsing’s country home, surrounding by green meadows and thick copses of birch and oak trees. Even now, so many years removed from that time in her life, she could summon almost every detail, every smell and sound. The day’s bread baking in the kitchen, the clattering of hooves upon the cobbles as Abraham charged into the stable-yard upon his mount and most of all. Willow’s laughter as she led her on a merry chase through the halls...and Willow’s cries as she lay naked beneath or above her in any number of less than ladylike positions. The sad smile had disappeared by the time Tara was ready to speak. “I understand that you do not want our foes to gather the slightest inclination that we have the skull but to seek to mislead them into believing the skull is at Hagley Park…do you honestly think it would be foremost in Dracula’s mind?”

“Without a doubt…he is well aware of the significance that Hagley Park held for Abraham and Willow,” Giles replied firmly, “But if you would rather I sent Faith so you can remain here with Willow…”

“Giles stop,” Tara interrupted. “I have already made my decision…if there is even the slightest possibility that such a ruse will keep Willow safer, then I will go.” And Willow needs her best friend more than ever, I cannot ask Faith to place herself in such danger. As fearless and awesome as she was, Tara still considered Faith a mere mortal, with a mortal’s insufficient strength.

“Do not take any chances…” Giles began.

Tara cut him short once again, “Giles, please do not lecture me…with Willow expecting me to return safely to her, I will use the utmost caution.”

Tara paused just beyond the parlour; she crossed the short distance to the bottom of Gordon Square’s main staircase. Tentatively she placed her hand on the banister as though she would ascend the stairs. However she did not. She knew full well that she could ascend and make her way down the hall to Willow’s room where she would find the redhead peacefully asleep…or possibly wide awake and waiting for her.

“You will tell Willow…that I shall not be far behind?” Tara asked over her shoulder. “And…” She paused again, wanting to be able to tell Willow more. However she felt odd at the thought of having Giles relay her most personal sentiments and she shook her head softly, “Just tell her that, please.”

“Certainly,” Giles assured her.

Even after Giles’s promise, Tara continued to pause until, with a slight sigh of frustration, she turned and made her way back out into the night air.

As desperately as she wanted to see Willow, she knew she would not be able to leave her side if she so much as gave her a single glance that evening. Tara understood the importance of the task Giles had given to her, it was imperative that the small group were able to leave London without being noticed. With any luck, Dracula’s minions would follow her west to Hampshire. She did not for a moment consider the danger inherent in her task.

~~~~~~

The Thames was shrouded in a murky mist, adding to the gloom of night. Very few ships would have dared to depart at such a godforsaken hour of the morning but in such conditions but one small vessel was currently being loaded. Nervous sailors carried bulky, strangely shaped luggage aboard and stowed it carefully, as though they expected awful retribution if they were to treat it carelessly. The ship’s passengers, all wearing dark clothing and hats, were also nervous.

Willow tugged the simple worker’s cap lower over her head, but it would not come down far enough to cover her ears, only the tips were protected from the brisk chill. She envied Giles’s woollen sailor’s cap as she spied him standing near the gangplank, authority in his voice as he directed the sailors. Willow lifted her hands to her face and blew on them lightly to warm them before putting them back into the pockets of the thick coat she wore, buttoned up to her chin. Myles was standing beside her, bouncing nervously on the balls of his feet, also wearing a coat and cap.

“Myles, for god’s sake stop that, you’re making me nervous,” Willow snapped, thrusting her freezing hands into her pockets as she watched another bag of what she knew to be weapons carried aboard and stowed on deck.

“Sorry,” Myles squeaked, he retrieved a stick of hard candy from his pocket. After brushing a few stray hairs off the sticky candy, he put it in his mouth. The resulting sucking and crunching noises were just as annoying as his fidgeting and Willow ordered him to board the ship and do his best to keep out of the path of the busy sailors.

She then turned her attention towards Faith who was overseeing the loading of their crates of firebombs. Willow looked at the number of crates such had brought with her and wondered just how many people or objects Faith was intending to firebomb. The brunette did not trust the sailors to carry the temperamental glass orbs and she obviously intended to carry them aboard herself.

All in all, their preparations moved swiftly, but not so swiftly that their haste would draw undue attention to their small party. Willow cocked her head slightly at the distant sound of a carriage crossing the cobbles. Her heart beat a little wilder when she realised it was not drawing away, but coming nearer. Sure enough, out of the gloom emerged a small covered carriage drawn by two dark mares. She breathed a sigh of relief that was shared by everyone else as she recognised a carriage belonging to the British museum.

The driver drew to a halt near Faith, who cradled her firebombs protectively as the horses pawed the ground, impatient to be in a warm stable and out of the night air. He leapt down from his seat to open the door, but his passenger pre-empted him as she opened her own door and stepped out onto the cobbles. It was none other than Lara Croft herself, wearing a long leather coat that covered her completely save her head and hands. One hand held tightly to her cane which she used to help herself down the carriage steps.

“Just when I was beginning to think you wouldn’t come and see me off,” Faith smiled broadly at her lover. She left her precious cargo to cross the distance between her and Lara and ignored the fact that she was in public as she swept the other woman into a firm embrace. They shared a brief kiss before Faith set her down once more.

“Who said anything about seeing you off,” Lara replied quietly, lifting her eyebrows.

Faith’s smile vanished quickly when Lara’s driver moved around to the back of the carriage and smartly removed two small bags from the luggage compartment. An eager sailor immediately came forward to claim the bags with the intention of taking them aboard the ship.

He was intercepted by Faith who snatched both bags from the driver with an indignant expression on her face, “Where the hell do you think you’re going?” she snapped at her lover, leaving the embarrassed sailor unsure as to whether or not he should take the bags.

“I’m tired of staying behind while the rest of you go flitting off to Europe, I’ve decided to join you,” Lara replied quite calmly. She snatched one of her bag from a dumbfounded Faith and handed it to the sailor. She nodded that he should take the other one. Carefully, as though worried Faith would bite his hand off, he took the remaining bag from Faith’s grasp. He then gratefully scurried away from the two women. Willow, Giles and Myles however were not as discreet as they looked on with interest as their friends faced each other.

“You’ve decided…you’ve decided?” Faith repeated loudly as Lara’s words began to sink in. She glanced across at Giles who was giving her a stern glance and she lowered her voice to a quiet but intense hiss. “I don’t care what you’ve decided…there is no way in hell you’re coming with us! And for your information we are not ‘flitting’ off to Europe, we’re on a mission to save the known world.”

“It was a figure of speech,” Lara shrugged, still apparently completely unperturbed by Faith’s reaction to her intentions. “Who do you think is financing this ‘mission’ of yours? I mean to ensure firsthand that my money will be well spent.”

“That is not why you are coming,” Faith replied tartly.

“No, it is not,” Lara admitted, cocking her head to one side as she smiled at her lover.

“You are coming because you stupidly believe that you can be of some use to us!” Faith cried in exasperation, resorting to blatantly cruel tactics to avoid seeing Lara join them. The small smile on Lara’s face only made her feel as though she were being petulant and foolish when her intentions had far more serious consequences. “You cannot run let alone fight…god Lara, would you make me go into battle with my concern for your safety outweighing all other concerns?” Faith’s voice caught slightly as she blinked back tears of frustration.

Lara seemed unconcerned at Faith’s words, hurtful though they may have been. She reached out and tenderly stroked her lover’s chin. “I was fighting demons while you still had your hair done in braids and dolls on your lap…and regardless of my infirmity I can still outshoot you. Faith, I love you dearly but it simply comes down to the fact that I am the Director of the British Museum and I have decided that I will be going on this mission.”

With that obviously to be taken as the final word on the matter, Lara determinedly strode past Faith, only using her cane sparingly as she moved towards the gangplank.

Almost completely red in the face, Faith watched as Lara walked straight past her. She took a few steps in Lara’s wake but stopped short of physically restraining her, “I do not care if you are the Director of the bloody British Museum, you can fire me for all I care…but I do care that you are my lover, and as your lover I beg you not to come!”

There was an awkward silence in the air following Faith’s outburst, only broken by the sound of candy crunching in Myles’s mouth. Lara did not look back as she boarded the ship and disappeared into the main cabin. Faith finally gave up staring after her lover in expectance of a reply and turned her attention back to her firebombs. When she eventually carried them aboard she did so with such careless abandon that all looked on in horror until they were safely stowed.

Willow felt a measure of Faith’s pain but she also sympathised with Lara. She suspected that although the Director had every intention of assisting with their mission to the best of her considerable abilities, her agenda was simply being with Faith…no matter where in the world she was going. With a slight sigh, Willow glanced around at the almost empty dock. Now that most of their luggage was loaded, there was very little reason for her to remain standing on dry ground other than to keep watch for Tara. She reluctantly moved towards the small ship. Her footsteps sounded hollow as she trudged up the gangplank, all the while keeping a firm grip on the single strand of knotted rope that served as a thoroughly inadequate railing. Once on board she hardly felt safer as she felt the ship sway ever so slightly beneath her. With a shudder she remembered the disaster that had been her last Channel crossing. They were still moored on the Thames; Willow hated to think what it would be like once their small craft reached the Channel.

To take her mind off the imminent journey, Willow divided her time between watching the remainder of their luggage get tossed aboard by the crew and staring out into the early morning darkness. At any moment she expected a slender shape to emerge, with blonde hair framing a beautiful face…Tara promised she would return. Willow sighed as the last of the luggage was on deck, she knew that Tara had verbally promised no such thing and yet she had felt it go unspoken between them. The scraping of the gangplank as it was drawn onto the ship caused her to search out Giles. She did not have to look further than the other side of the deck, he was standing watching her.

“She is coming isn’t she, Giles?” Willow asked insistently.

Giles tugged his woollen sailors cap down over his ears and turned away slightly so Willow could not see the guilty look that passed across his face, “Wherever you are, Tara will never be far away.”

Willow missed his expression as she lent over the gunwale and stared at the river ahead but she did manage a tight-lipped smile in response to Giles’s uncharacteristically emotional answer. Her eyes were veiled as she stared into the murky darkness, “Well, she should bloody well be on the boat with the rest of us.” She then lifted her gaze to the night sky where not a single star shone down on them. “I can’t stand the thought of her being alone in the dark.”

“Tara will be fine, she is a creature of the night after all,” Giles reminded her quietly.

Willow tightened her grip on the railing in front of her. She held on under her fingers were white and numb with cold before finally thrusting them back into the pockets of her coat. The intense burning sensation as feeling returned reminded her that she was very much alive.

“That might have been true once,” Willow finally replied to Giles, “But everything has changed now.”

Giles waited for a moment as though expecting Willow to elaborate on her cryptic sentence. She did not however, and eventually he left her alone by the railing.

Willow remained watching the shore as the gangplank was slowly drawn up, the moorings thrown off and the ship slowly began to move out into the middle of the river. Tara never came.

~~~~~~

Seated upon his throne, Dracula heard a rasping of hinges and he watched the great doors at the far end of his hall swing inwards, through the slight gap entered one lone figure. Dracula snorted immediately, he recognised the figure even though that end of the hall was shrouded in darkness. He knew that whip-thin body anywhere…it was William.

He had an inkling of what William had come to tell him before the fool even opened his mouth. Dracula tightened his grip on the arms of his throne, trying to prevent himself from rising to his feet and tearing the messenger a new mouth in his throat.

“I have disturbing news, my Lord,” William murmured as he lowered himself to one knee in front of Dracula’s throne. He went down grudgingly, as though it was not an action that came easily to him.

“All your news at present has been disturbing, William,” Dracula commented in a bland tone, “You came to me not two hours hence and assured me the skull was at Hagley Park! I am expecting you to tell me that you have the skull in your possession!”

William swallowed awkwardly, “Maclay was sighted near the former Van Helsing home, that raised suspicions…but I have just gleaned from wharf rats that a small party matching the descriptions of our foes left the docks the day before yesterday,” William announced in a slow voice, as though he was fearful of the reaction his news would provoke. “It would seem that somehow, they have found the skull.”

“How do we know that is not a ruse and the skull is in actual fact with Maclay?” Dracula asked, his voice trembling with rage as he drummed his fingers on the arms of his thrones.

“She is alone…our sightings from the wharf match the descriptions of their entire party, including the old warlock,” William replied in an impertinent tone, already rising to his feet instead of remaining on his knees in the presence of his Master. “They obviously have it…and have sought to leave for Covasna to destroy it without arousing our suspicions!”

Dracula laughed unexpectedly. It was a throaty demented sound. William frowned as he knelt before the throne, rightly wondering if his Master were losing control.

“All these years spent searching desperately for the skull…and in the end all we had to do was wait for the path to be revealed to us,” he cackled.

“Little good it will do us if they destroy the skull,” William commented bitterly, almost under his breath.

William glanced up, knowing full well that Dracula had overheard him. He would not however grovel; he kept his square chin thrust defiantly upwards and waited on the decision of his Master.

“Assemble the hordes…we ride now!” Dracula commanded immediately, his booming voice at odds with his relaxed posture upon his throne.

“Now my Lord?” William clarified nervously, his composure wavering somewhat beneath the fearsome gaze of Dracula, it was maniacal in its intensity.

“Now!” Dracula repeated. “As many as can be mustered, we ride for Covasna!”

As William turned his back to him and walked out of the great hall, Dracula had to suppress the urge to smite the vampire in one fell blow. He channelled his anger into a single clenched fist held before him and vowed that neither Willow Van Helsing, nor Tara Maclay, would leave the field of Covasna – either alive or undead.

He then turned to his left and saw, illuminated in the faint flickering of torchlight, his suit of armour. With a nostalgic smile he lifted himself from his throne and slowly made his way towards it. The closer he came, the more of its intricate detail he was able to pick out. It was a magnificent work of craftsmanship, black steel worked by master armourers who had been turned and pressed into service for him alone. He lifted his fingers towards it and ran them over the inlaid gold and silver designs which were traced out over the entire breastplate. They trailed outwards, over the shoulder guards and continuing to the gauntlets. The helmet was a fearsome creation, wrought into the likeness of the demon that was mounted above his throne.

Dracula remembered the last time he had worn it, riding at the head of his army. He smiled, he would wear it again…and again he would ride at the head of his horde of undead warriors, a great torrent that would sweep Europe clean of the unworthy…starting with the pathetic band of fools who sought to destroy the skull.

TBC in Chapter 39 – The Night Before

Post subject: Re: Van Rosenberg (Updated 15 May)
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:37 pm 
5. Willowhand

I love VR dibsin'!

Biff! Bang! Pow! I'm back.

I can see why this chapter would cause you some dread to get through. There's a lot of stuff going on here, and by "stuff" I certainly don't mean Willow in some of those very unladylike positions that Tara was fantasizing about! (I flippin' miss those!)

So wow, I kinda called it in that all the gang's here to open a can of whoop ass on Drac! Well, except for nomadic Tara, who again misses out on kisses and gay love to answer that pesky call of duty. I can't believe she isn't just masturbating incessantly (in the shadows.) Seriously, it's been a freakin' century. Girl needs some release. Does she maybe want to borrow Willow's Jessica Alba poster from my fic?

Anyhow... I so got off track. Here we go. Ready? Back on the rails:

Quote:
"...but I would not be anywhere else other than at your side.

Throughout this whole tale, Faith has always been Willow's constant. I love that. (Okay, Myles, too, but Faith's hotter to talk about, huh?) What an ally! (Sometimes I still wish for that kiss between them...)

All I know is that Tara's not with Willow (again), and that's just ain't right. Please let them get naked soon. I mean, you know, save the world and all. Then naked. Naked Drac destruction at Covasna probably isn't in your plans, is it? I'll let that thought linger....

Last edited by katjetson on Wed May 14, 2008 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:46 pm 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for excellent update-y goodness... I hope Tara is able to soon catch up with Willow and the others...

Posting While Nude Improves Your Mood.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:27 pm 
3. Flaming O

Hiya Alcy

Another amazing update! I had to whip through this waaaay too quickly at work but will be back once I’ve had a chance to read it again and savour it in all it’s splendiferousness.

Covasna take three...eek! Obviously Willow’s last two visits didn’t work out so well for her and I’m sure this one won’t be a walk in the park either.

The title of the next chapter intrigues me and I can’t help but think back to the first time WVH went charging onto the field at Covasna all full of the confidence that Tara had given her. She won’t be doing the one man army thing this time but I’m hoping for some more of the naughty Tara-courage but obviously without the evil duplicitousness this time round, just the hot nekid lovin.

Faith and Lara together...yay! Not quite the together I was hoping but a very nice consolation prize nonetheless.

Quote:
Tara never came.

Ouch!! That hit my like a blow to the ticker. Of course she was never going to show, that would be too easy, but a kitten heart can’t help but hope. Gah! You’re killing me Alcy...and of course I'm loving every second!!

Moon :peace

Last edited by Moonbug on Fri May 16, 2008 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:34 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Okay, well crap. That sucks that the skull really does seem to be in Willow. Yep, sucks big time, cause that just makes it that much worse about destroying it. But I'm really curious about the spell Giles is going to have to use to destroy it and what's going to happen to Willow. Willow...such a brave, tortured girl. Even if it means she will be destroyed too, she's still going to let Giles do it. Man, I can't wait to see what you have in store for us there. And she and Tara were getting so close to getting with the physical stuff they've been waiting so long for. Crap. But, I do have faith in you, Alcy, to still give us some of that good loving that we've been waiting so long for.

And Lara's making the journey with them, which I'm kind of excited about. Could be interesting.

But my big question now is, where is Tara? Oh, I really can't wait to see what you have in store for us next.

Wimpy

"There was plenty of magic." ~~ Tara

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:11 pm 
8. Vixen

Quote:
Faith coughed loudly, “Myles, stop talking for heaven’s sake.”

Hihi...
Dont know what to think of Willow wanting to go to Covasna yet. It seems the right thing to do and is needed for the story but they still dont know too much about the spell. Makes me queasy.
Was kinda sad to see that Tara didnt stop by Willow's room before she left for Hagley Park but maybe it was for the best.
Ohhh... Lara is along for the ride too! Everyone in one place. They should have been more careful while leaving though. Couldnt have Giles used a concealing spell on himself?!
I have the feeling that this whole "trip" will be lethal for at least one of the good guys. And I think I know who it will be. :smash
Can't wait for more!

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:58 pm 
12. Recently Gay

I'm still finding it hard to accept that the skull is part of Willow despite Tara's visit to the grave seems to say otherwise. I was hoping she would discover it buried under WVH's coffin, that would tie with Abe's note and it would have eased Tara's pain. But no, can't have it that easy can we?

Although, Tara did get a sense of it at the grave yet gets no sense of it within Willow, and Willow herself isn't getting any bad vibes, so maybe there is a glimmer of hope, a few straws to clutch at yet. I live in hope on that one.

Well, it seems as if were coming near the end now that the gang are heading to Covasna. And, how cool that Lara has made an appearance again. I loved that Faith was so angry with her, it just shows how much she cares about her. All that passion between them, marvellous. You know, if we can't have a W/T moment, how about some F/L lovin' to keep us smut loving kittens happy?

And talking of W/T, it was heartbreaking to see Tara give in to her sense of duty again when all she wanted to do is be with Willow, ah, how I was willing her to walk up those stairs.

I can't wait to see what happens next, I just hope that Tara is as good as her word and isn't far behind.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:53 pm 
18. Breast Gal

Yeah, I have to agree with Kat when she said that there was lots of stuff to this update. So much that I had to take a little time to think about it.

And what I decided is that this was a transitional chapter, a nice way to get everyone moving in the right direction again. I, like others here, find that I wish Tara had been able to go up the stairs too, but I guess it's just not time for that yet. Too much work to be done. I get it.

Anyway, I can't wait to see what happens. We're definitely rolling toward the climax and I can't wait to see what that's going to be.

Thanks for the update.

Diane

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:31 am 
4. Extra Flamey

great update as always

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:12 pm 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

katjetson: There was definitely a lot of stuff going on in that chapter. Sorry about not throwing in a few of those unladylike positions. I’m sure if Jessica Alba was around in 1897 Tara would definitely be sneaking a peak…
And I’m also sorry for no Faith/Willow smoochies but they can be there in our heads right?
I don’t know how well Willow and Tara would be able to save the world if they were naked…well, they would still be able to kick some arse I’m sure! You are most welcome to let that thought linger…

zampsa1975: Thanks very much, trust me, Tara will catch up soon!

moonbug: Yep, Covasna take three, third times a charm haven’t ya heard? The first two times didn’t work out so great for Willow, let’s hope this one does. I’m glad you enjoy having Faith and Lara together, I just had to have them both at Covasna…even if Faith would rather have her tucked safely back at the British Museum.
I hope I’m not killing you too badly! Stay tuned.

wimpy0729: Well, having a nice ole ordinary skull isn’t exactly my style, I just had to make things as difficult as possible.
Quote:
such a brave, tortured girl.
That pretty much sums it up, for both Willow and Tara throughout this entire story.
You should have faith in me mate! The journey’s almost over but there’s plenty left to come and I wont leave you long.

WillowRulez: They were eventually going to have to go back to Covasna, that’s where it all ends – as it should be and everyone is in one place.
I don’t know about the trip being lethal…I’m not going to give anything away!

Paint the Sky: We definitely can’t have things that easy! The gang is on their way to Covasna and things are definitely coming to an end.
Man, kittens really do love smut don’t they? I’m still surprised that you guys continue to put up with me without the smut! Surely you must be deserving of a reward sooner rather than later!
Stay tuned to see what happens next!

dlline: Sorry to make you think hard Diane, I hope it wasn’t too taxing!
Transitional chapters are always a little tricky to write, just because there are so many things to do and to be able to do it all convincingly is sometimes difficult and you know I'd much rather be writing a rolicking action scene! We are rolling towards the climax, I know its kinda a little hard to believe after all this time!

WolfDragonGod: Hi there, thanks very much!

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:23 am 
5. Willowhand

Once again I am a tad on the tardy side (sorry: schoolwork is getting the better of me).

However, I just wanted to say that I am loving Myles. The lad is a wee ‘affable’ and ‘fidgety’ ray of sunshine in an angst-filled storm. I also love Faith’s general overprotection mandate, which manifests itself not only in her (very unsuccessful) exchange with Lara but also in the number of firebombs she brings.

And may I include my own ‘bloody hell’ at Giles for sending Tara on the mission to Hagley Park. Sure he had his reasons and they might have bought Willow and her party some time (albeit not much as William saw through the ruse) but I was right there with Tara when she “momentarily considered ignoring Giles’s as yet unspoken request and making her way to Willow”. How she could actually resist, I have no idea! I am completely filled with hope (and trust of you) with regard to the title of the next chapter.

And I gotta say, I really loved your description of Dracula’s maniacal longing for the good old days when he was a “fearsome creation” himself.

Thank you again for a wonderful update, Alcy.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:34 am 
3. Flaming O

You make me a very happy kitten to let me know what a bit of feedback can do! Covasna, again but everyone this time, certianly does seem we're heading toward the final battle.. Darkness gather's it's armies and our little brave gang huddles together on a boat toward their goal, this sure is both angsty and intense! I think we kittens take this strange delight in both smut AND angst.. You gave us smut earlier on, now we have the angst and the hope for a happy ending with a good lot of smut ;-)

Thank you for the update, it made me very happy to see it up on the board even thouhg it took me a little while to read it..

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:03 am 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

masterjendu: I am with you in loving Myles and Faith both, the affability of the suporting characters is always a key thing to consider when writing an epic fic. As much as I love Willow and Tara, they do need friends to back them up. Hopefully you will be happier with what Tara decides to do in this next chapter!

nenyath: Feedback certainly has the power to inspire a weary author to get cracking and write more! I do indeed delight in both smut and angst...and I can promise that this next chapter will have a lot of one of those...

Chapter 39 – The Night Before

The Channel crossing had proven not to be quite as horrendous as Willow had feared but the following weeks of almost non-stop travel as they raced for Covasna had taken a toll on their small party. Even though she felt she should be used to riding following what she thought was a significant amount of experience, Willow still found herself sore at the end of each day’s travel. She found herself longing for the relative comfort of the train that had carried them as far as Klausenburg. However after the city, there were no trains that could take them where they needed to go, deep into the mountains where even the locals would not dare to venture. There were also no hotels of even modest comfort that could provide them with a decent night’s sleep, just the cold hard ground and the slim protection offered by canvas tents.

At the end of yet another day of travel, as darkness began to fall, an exhausted Willow tumbled into her tent. She was hungry and felt as though she was coated in enough travel grime to fill a large bathtub...however more than food or a bath, she desired sleep. The fact that there was no bath to be had made the choice even easier. She was disturbed a few minutes later by Faith’s insistent voice. Even though Faith was merely concerned that she was hungry, Willow told her to go away in no uncertain terms.

Darkness had fallen completely when Willow awoke again. It took her a few minutes to realise that she had turned herself over in her sleep and managed to pull half a blanket over herself. Beyond the half open door of her tent she saw the dying embers of a fire and Giles’s slumped shape as he was hunched over, scribbling madly on a piece of paper in the weak light.

Willow rolled over and tried to return to sleep. However as exhausted as she was she could not find the peace of mind that would allow slumber to claim her. She was not even sure she wanted to return to sleep; her dreams had been dark and troubled…just as they had been throughout the entire journey. With a sigh, she peeled back the blanket and extracted herself from the tent. The earth was cool beneath the thin socks on her feet and the chill of a slight wind reminded her that she ought to don her jacket. However she could not be bothered fetching it and instead crossed the clearing towards the fire, hoping the dying embers still radiated at least a little warmth. She could not see what Giles was working on, but whatever it was occupied him so intensely she was able to stand behind him for a good minute.

“Can’t sleep?” he asked suddenly, just as she was about to announce her presence.

He turned with a small, warm smile on his face. At Willow’s nod he set down the pencil and paper in his hand and rose to his feet stiffly. He stretched obviously weary bones and stifled a yawn. Surprisingly, Giles then held his arm out wide to beckon Willow into his embrace. After a moment’s hesitation, Willow slipped crossed the short distance between them and gratefully sank against Giles’s thin but solid frame. She felt his wiry arms loop around her back and draw her close; close enough for her to smell the cigar smoke and hint of whiskey that lingered on his clothing. Willow found a strength and solidity in that embrace that she sorely needed. Besides Abraham, Giles was the one masculine presence that she had been able to count on.

“I have never before thought to say as much,” Giles said quietly, “But I do consider you as a daughter and love you as one.”

“I love you too, Giles,” Willow replied with no further hesitation on her part. She then drew back far enough to enable her to look him directly in the eyes. “Whatever you have to do tomorrow to be successful in destroying the skull, I want you to do it. I do not want any sentiment or emotion to cloud what must be done…understood?”

“Perfectly,” Giles found his voice hoarse as he studied the determination in the young woman’s eyes. He sighed wistfully. “I wish to god your brother had your strength…”

“He fell to pieces after he lost me…” Willow tried to apologise for him until she realised that she could not bring herself to make excuses for Abraham. There was nothing she could say that could erase what he did to Tara…and in turn, to her.

“And yet you lost everything…and here you are,” Giles said what Willow could not.

“I would not be anywhere else,” Willow stated emphatically. However after a moment’s pause she frowned as though mulling over the logic of those words in her head, “Well, actually I would rather be somewhere…anywhere else, even the icy waste of the Arctic circle would be preferable to being so close to Covasna again but…” Willow paused again and drew a deep breath, “I hate the word ‘duty’…for a very good reason, and yet this has always been mine, before I knew such evil things as vampires and demons existed in this world this was my task, my duty…and I’m going to see it carried out.”

“Regardless of the cost,” Giles whispered.

Willow sniffed quietly but she did not reply to his statement. There was absolutely nothing useful to say about the topic of self-sacrifice. She could only know in her heart that dying was the last thing she wanted to do…again. Yet for all the deepest desires of her heart, fate would do what it wished with her. She would be carried along in its currents and it was all she could do to see that whatever she did…she did to the best of her ability.

“I do believe that someone else would like a moment of your time,” Giles interrupted her thoughts; she looked up to see him nod towards a spot over her shoulder.

Frowning, Willow slipped out of Giles’s embrace and turned to the point he had indicated. Standing next to her tent she saw none other than Tara. The frown disappeared to be replaced by concern as she searched the blonde vampire for any trace of harm or fatigue. Beside the fact that there were the ever-present dark circles beneath her eyes, she appeared unscathed. Her concern then gave way to anger as she was forced to relive the anguish that the blonde’s absence had caused her throughout their journey.

“You…” Willow began in a whisper but she had to stop and swallow to avoid having an awkward coughing fit, “You return from Hampshire only to go running off again…without even paying me the courtesy of one small word of acknowledgement. Now you just show up in the middle of nowhere with your aggravatingly calm expression and expect me to what? Fall into your arms?” Willow stopped and folded her arms stubbornly across her chest as if she had no intention of taking a single step towards the blonde.

“Will?” Tara prodded gently with a decided gleam in her blue eyes.

“What?” Willow spat back in a grumpy tone.

“Be silent and come here.”

Willow’s resolve crumpled and she practically fell across the distance that separated them and into Tara’s waiting arms. In a split second they had resumed the kiss that had been cut short a few days earlier. Neither woman noticed Giles quietly disappear into the shadows to give them some privacy.

“I…am…sorry!” Willow managed to gasp in the brief moments that Tara’s lips were not on hers.

Tara drew back slightly, cupping Willow’s pale face gently between her hands even as Willow tried to continued speaking. She shook her head slightly, “Now is not the not the time to say sorry, Will, I just want us to be together.”

“Together, together?” Willow asked hopefully.

Tara found herself smiling at the expression on Willow’s face; she pressed her lips to hers in a brief kiss, “Together, together…as we were always meant to be…as we will be.” As we will be, Tara uttered the silent promise even as Willow grasped her about the waist and lead her urgently towards the tent, already tugging the at the ties of her cloak. The dark garment slid like water to the ground.

With no small amount of struggling with canvas and annoying ropes, they managed to fight their way into the tent. Willow fell backwards beneath Tara’s weight. Only a few blankets and a canvas sheet softened her fall. She let out a ragged gasp as the wind was knocked out of her. As soon as she was able however she seized the back of Tara’s neck and drew her down hard, their lips crashing together once more.

At some point during the kiss, Tara managed to undo the majority of the buttons on Willow’s shirt and then drag her woollen vest up to expose her breasts. Although there was very little light in the tent, she could see the pale mounds of flesh rising and falling rapidly in time with Willow’s urgent breaths. She pinned Willow’s hands up behind her head and began ravaging her breasts with an insistent mouth. She had to fight to reign in her urges as she was struck by the frightening realisation that her desire would prove to be unstoppable. She needed to have Willow and it went beyond her physical desire for the redhead to a need to assert her humanity. As her mouth explored Willow’s breasts and one hand held Willow’s hands above her head, she moved the other hand downwards. She pushed insistently beneath the band of Willow’s pants and plunged downwards towards the heat at her centre. A small cry from Willow brought her crashing back to earth.

“Willow…I-I?” Tara felt the redhead trembling violently beneath her and she sat up with a start, her head scraping the canvas of the tent above her as she tried to give Willow some space.

Willow couldn’t find a voice to say the words with…it was as though she didn’t have control over any part of herself any longer. Tears leaked unbidden from the corners of her eyes. Tara’s thigh pressed firmly against her sex made her all too aware of the pleasure she could be experiencing…what she wanted to be feeling.

“Will?” Tara asked again, leaning down to stroked Willow’s forehead, her voice hoarse with emotion.

“Please don’t stop,” it was a half-strangled cry torn from the back of Willow’s throat.

“Please…” Willow whispered urgently with another groan of desire interrupting her words. “It has been so long…I would not have so many layers of clothing separating us, I want to feel your skin move against mine…please…”

Willow sat up so Tara could peel her shirt down over her shoulders; at the same time her hands went to the throat of Tara’s dress. As she fumbled urgently with the small buttons she had to keep shifting so Tara could remove the shirt. The garment was finally drawn down over each of her wrists and tossed aside, Tara then quickly dragged her vest up over her head even as Willow’s fingers struggled again with the buttons. Almost impatiently, Tara shifted her hands so she could undo them herself. Willow flopped onto her back, lifting her hips off the ground so she could slide her pants down; she removed them completely with a well-timed kick which also crashed against the side of the tent.

Although it was awkward and cramped in the small space, eventually all their clothing and underclothes found the ground...every single piece except for one of Willow’s socks. She was about to peel it off with a deft tug when she finally allowed herself to stare directly at Tara in her full nakedness. She found herself sitting with one hand on the toe of her sock and her jaw dropping steadily with each passing moment. As she allowed herself to drink in every bit of Tara’s marble skin, the sock was gradually forgotten.

“Oh my god,” Willow mumbled, hardly able to manage the words as her gaze lingered over Tara’s perfectly formed breasts, from the ample curves to perfectly pink nipples. “I know I’ve seen it all before but oh my god…you…are…just…so bloody perfect.”

“Will,” Tara whispered in a playfully gruff tone and silenced the redhead with a brief but intense kiss. “While you are exceptionally adorable I would appreciate you admiring my ‘bloody perfection’ at a later time…it has been a long time after all.”

Tara smiled and moved forward, she kissed her then. It began as something soft, like silk... their tongues darting out tentatively as though they had never met before. However when Willow's hand moved up around to the back of Tara's neck, she drew her downwards insistently and the hesitation was once again gone. Their bodies melded together perfectly and Tara’s thigh slid gently between Willow’s legs as she caressed her shoulders and arms. Their lips grated together in movements that were coarse and yet soft. Their tongues danced in fierce competition, each trying to wrestle the other into submission. Even as they kissed, Willow kept thrusting upward with her hips, increasing the urgency with which she moved against Tara’s thigh.

Tara's hand moved to Willow’s breast, stroking it before breaking their kiss to move her head lower. Willow looked pleadingly at Tara until the blonde's mouth closed over the sensitive mound of flesh. She felt Tara's lips close over her nipple until she was sucking on it gently, rolling the tiny nub between her lips. She alternated between that and licking it with long, lazy strokes. Willow pressed her head back into the ground, letting the sensations wash over her as Tara worked her magic on her body. She listened with growing pleasure to the small sucking noises the blonde's mouth made, soon joined by her own soft moans. Tara switched breasts, giving each one the attention Willow craved.

While her mouth worked eagerly, Tara moved her hand down between their stomachs, over Willow's flat, hard belly and down to the top of the red curls that had been grinding against her thigh. She cupped Willow's entire mound and felt a small jolt run through her body, closely followed by another, much larger as she slipped one finger inside Willow's folds. It wasn't long before she found Willow's clit. She stroked it a few times it too budded beneath her touch.

Willow ran her hands through Tara's hair as she dipped and moved over her breasts. Incoherent moans that might have been words continued to issue from her throat. She felt a sudden warmth flow between her legs and her eyes squeezed shut tightly as she willed Tara to move even faster as long forgotten, almost unfamiliar and yet most welcome sensations took a hold of her body.

“I’m a virgin,” Willow whispered in realisation, her fingers absently tracing Tara’s neck as she stared at an undetermined point above her.

"Will…" Tara whispered softly, she looked up and slowed her thrusting movements without stopping completely, “Look at me?" Willow forced herself to lift her head and look into Tara's blue eyes. Tara brought her free hand up from Willow's breast to cup the back of her neck tightly, keeping their eyes locked together. “I can’t begin to understand how this feels for you…to remember being with me and yet never having physically experienced it…”

“I want to,” Willow urged her fiercely, “Of course I want to…it’s just…oh sorry, you’re right, I should just bloody be quiet and let you do…oh…my…god!”

Willow was cut short as Tara slid two fingers up into her passage. She cried out slightly as she felt pain but it was replaced in an instant by the pleasant sensation of feeling Tara inside her. They were joined. Willow felt her eyes water from both the pain and pleasure but she didn't know why Tara's eyes were also watering. The pools of blue liquid were shining brightly, her mouth parted slightly as though in awe.

"Are you quite alright?" Willow asked quietly. She felt her flesh settle around Tara's fingers and marvelled at just how right it felt.

"That is supposed to be my question," Tara breathed, she leaned in close and whispered, "I love you Will," just as she withdrew her fingers slowly before thrusting upward again, this time a little faster.

Tara’s movement rendered Willow unable to repeat the three words that meant so much to her, and yet she conveyed them through the touch of her fingers and body. Willow moved her hips instinctively, grinding herself against the base of Tara's hand. Tara responded by moving against her even faster, thrusting her fingers in and out in a steady rhythm. Willow felt as though she desperately wanted to close her eyes and thrash her head back against the ground but she kept her eyes on Tara. Even as they glazed over and she could barely see a thing through the haze she continued to stare at her lover. Tara thrust deep again... and then once more before Willow felt her release nearing until she let out a sharp cry and her orgasm surged through her body. Waves of pleasure spread out from between her legs, to her gut... all the way down to her toes. Willow groaned, she definitely couldn't even find words anymore, not even Tara's name.

It felt nothing like her dreams…or even her experience in the mirror, it was real. As she came she kept her eyes on Tara’s, in her haze she lost herself in the blue depths of those eyes. She saw a small smile cross Tara’s lips as her body gradually stopped shaking.

Even as a sort of calm descended over her she did not allow herself to lie back down, instead she surged forward and found Tara’s lips. She kept moving forward until she toppled Tara over backwards, effectively reversing their positions. In one deft move she wrapped her legs around the blonde’s waist. She felt Tara’s free hand wrap around her back and urge her to move. Willow complied until she was riding Tara’s fingers, bringing herself to a second orgasm even so soon after the first.

Although she felt exhausted enough to collapse she could not stop. She released Tara from the grip of her legs and manoeuvred her body until she was lying atop her. With Tara lying beneath her, she sought out her breasts. Her mouth closed over first one and then the other, feeling Tara’s soft skin with her tongue. One hand snaked her way down Tara’s body, feeling gently for the heat between her legs.

“I haven’t touched you yet…and you’re already wet,” Willow whispered in awe as her fingers slid easily into Tara’s moist folds.

“I did just spend the last ten minutes with your naked body beneath and above me…how could I not be?” Tara replied, arching her eyebrows.

Willow grinned wickedly as she reached out and roughly flicked Tara’s clit only to be startled by the violent jolt that followed. Tara arched her back, grinding against Willow’s hand as a shuddering moan escaped her lips.

“Will, inside…” Tara gasped impatiently, seizing the hand that teased her so cruelly and trying to guide Willow’s fingers up into her soaking wet cunt. Willow gently pushed her aside and carried out Tara’s wishes without assistance, thrusting upwards with her whole body behind the movement.

A few moments later Willow felt an incredible surge of emotion, as it was she who was fucking Tara, it was her fingers that were urging her to come. The tears that burned her eyes never fell but that did not render the moment any less emotional for her, she was finally able to be with the one she loved.

Tara felt her clawing fingers slip on Willow’s sweat coated back so she embraced the bucking girl fully, wrapping her arms around her small but powerful body that was so intent on its one purpose. Willow’s breathing was loud and hoarse in her ear and her own came in between moans that she was trying her utmost to stifle. As Willow’s fingers dove deep into her cunt, her palm worked against her clit. She had been on the edge of orgasm from the first thrust and it was only through some amount of willpower that she kept herself from falling over the edge, a desire to prolong the experience of Willow moving within her after so many years apart.

She wanted the intimate contact to last and yet Willow’s rapid movements were going to be her undoing. As she fucked her with her hand, Willow’s mouth continued to move across every inch of her exposed upper body flesh, paying special attention to her already swollen nipples which she teased between her teeth and the fingers of her left hand. Tara gave up trying to restrain her release and thrust her hips insistently, both her hands moved to Willow’s arse where her nails dug into the tender flesh. As Tara’s breathing grew short and urgent, Willow met her gaze directly, managing to hold it even as she continued to intensify the pace of her movements. The connection in their gaze was intense, with Willow focused while Tara struggled to keep her senses from flying apart. As she came, she squeezed her thighs hard against Willow and dug in nails in sharply in a vain effort to keep from crying out. A strangled gasp was all that emerged as her flesh contracted around Willow’s fingers but it conveyed far more than the loudest scream.

Tara closed her eyes, allowing the thudding in her ears to gradually die down and she became aware of the moist pool between her legs, Willow’s fingers still nestled in her passage and the layer of dripping sweat that coated her body. It could have been minutes or hours later that she felt Willow gently remove her fingers and settle contentedly into the contours of her body.

The only sound in the tiny tent was the sound of their combined breathing, both hoarse and short. Tara lent down and deposited a tender kiss on Willow’s forehead. Whatever was to happen on the morrow did not matter; she had just been reunited with Willow. Her hands continued to roam over Willow’s body as though she could not get enough of the redhead’s flesh. When she heard Willow’s breathing slow to the point where it was almost normal, a wicked grin spread across her face. She rolled over atop Willow before swiftly moving down her body until her face was between Willow’s legs; her mouth paused above her tender and moist sex.

Willow felt dreadfully wicked as she parted her legs for Tara to the point where her knees were pressed against the damp sides of the tent. She yelped suddenly at the darting touch of Tara’s tongue against her overly engorged, already tortured clit. The second touch was a long, languid stroke that left her squirming and craving more. Tara was eager to oblige, lavishing attention on her clit in an exploratory, teasing manner as she remembered the precise spot and speed that really made Willow squirm.

Willow tried to prop herself up on her elbows as she discovered she loved the sight of Tara working between her legs but that lasted all of a minute before her head was thrown back against the ground behind her as she tossed about uncontrollably. Tara’s tongue was driving her once again to the brink, easily threatening to push her right over the edge but with the skill to prolong release and take her beyond without falling off completely. Her hands clutched for something to grasp and she settled for fistfuls of Tara’s hair. If she was hurting the blonde, it did not slow her down at all. If anything, her movements became more intense and focused.

Willow flung out her arms. Her fingertips trailed over the canvas of the tent, made moist by their combined urgent, rasping breaths. It was as though in that moisture that she could find each breath in physical form, each drawn out moan in which she said her lover’s name.

“Tara…Tara!” Willow repeated without even realising that she was speaking it aloud once more. “Tara…Tar…”

The last was muffled as Tara rose up from beneath her legs in the midst of her release. Tara’s musky lips closed over her own, effectively silencing her. Willow realised Tara had shut her up before she could disturb the others in their party and she gratefully gave herself over to the kiss, directing all the energy that she would have otherwise released in words, into caressing them, tasting herself as she did so. Tara replaced her tongue with several of her fingers, once again thrusting up inside her and causing Willow’s spasms to lengthen, adding more of her juices to the already damp blankets that lay beneath them. Her arms were still flung above her head and she seized a handful of woollen blanket in an attempt to anchor herself to something physical but eventually she let it go and gave herself over completely. The only anchor she needed was Tara and it was to Tara’s body that she held fiercely. Her nails raked Tara’s back and she felt them pierce the skin, no doubt drawing blood.

A low moan escaped the kiss as her hips involuntarily jerked upwards several times with finality before they settled back against the covers with the rest of her sweat soaked, damp body. The kiss became slower, almost lazier but lost none of its emotion as Tara continued to stroke her stomach and thighs with tender fingers.

“This is all I want to do for the rest of my life,” Willow announced quietly. “Vampire slaying be damned!”

“I know what you mean,” Tara agreed as she stroked a clump of Willow’s hair away from her eyes. “Will, whatever happens tomorrow…I want you to know…”

Willow pressed the tip of her finger to Tara’s lips, “You don’t need to say anything…you can tell me once all of this is over.”

She saw that unspoken words would not leave Tara…she could see the fear in her eyes. Willow knew that there volumes that could be said between them…perhaps the words even needed to be said, but she could not bring herself to say or hear them. Instead she pressed her cheek to Tara’s, in the silence that followed she was all too aware of her still throbbing cunt and the spread of wetness that chaffed against the back of her thighs. She was surprised to find that she did not feel cold...and more importantly, she did not feel spent. As Tara shifted slightly so she was no longer lying directly atop her, she seized her opportunity to reverse their positions again, flipping Tara over onto her back in one quick movement that almost brought the tent down around them as she pushed Tara against the sides. Willow drew Tara back towards the blankets and used her tongue to trace a through the trail of sweat that ran between her breasts, continuing downwards until her chin brushed against the soft hair that covered Tara’s mound. Her mouth was watering before she spread her folds apart and drank deeply of the moisture that lay within. She felt Tara’s hands tangle in her hair and press her down insistently in encouragement.

What would happen on the morrow was banished from Willow’s thoughts…there was no point in thinking this through or stopping to question what they were doing. In the midst intense passion of their continued lovemaking, her contact with Tara and their combined rhythm was all that existed in the world. Willow found comfort in the knowledge that tomorrow would not come until they were finished.

~~~~~~

The next morning dawned surprisingly clear and still. However, although bright, the winter sun failed to do much to warm the earth below. Faith and Myles hunched close to the fire as they prepared a simple porridge for breakfast. Lara was sitting just inside the tent she had shared with Faith, repeatedly stroking a whetstone along the length of a silver sabre. Myles searched the small clearing for Giles but he could see nothing of the old man, his tent was already down and packed. He then turned and looked over his shoulder towards Willow’s tent but there was no movement whatsoever behind the firmly closed canvas flaps.

“I’m surprised the smell of food hasn’t woken Willow,” Myles commented.

“It’s porridge,” Faith replied in an acerbic tone that spoke more to her mood than Myles’s innocent comment. “Even my porridge isn’t that good.”

Myles rose to his feet, “Well I might wake her all the same, it would be a shame if she had to eat it cold.”

“Myles,” Faith growled in a cautionary tone as the young man started towards the still silent tent. “I believe it would be best for you not to look in Willow’s tent.”

Myles stopped in his tracks and spun with a confused expression on his face, “Why ever not?”

“Because I’ve already looked in there,” Faith admitted with a slight smirk, “And although it is a pretty sight…I do not believe it is appropriate for your prying eyes. Just let them be for a short while longer.”

“Them?” Myles appeared even more confused for a moment before realisation finally dawned, “Ohhhhh!”

The young man’s cheeks were aflame as he returned to his spot by the fire. He all too gratefully accepted the bowl of porridge that Faith handed him and set about eating it as though it was the most necessary thing for him to do at that precise moment.

~~~~~~

Dracula sneered at the infernal sunlight which bathed the mountains where the battlefield of Covasna lay. By his reckoning the Van Helsing woman’s party which would the plateau by afternoon…full hours ahead of the time he and his vampires could possibly reach the battlefield. Although they had ridden hard by night and shadow, he had been unable to overtake them en route. It now came down to this day…and whether the fools would be able to destroy the skull before he could reach them. He regretted that it had come to such, but he could see no way of overcoming the inherent weakness of his kind. If they did manage to destroy the skull his only small consolation would lie in killing them all anyway…but it was small consolation indeed. Still, even the thought of killing Maclay was enough to bring a small smile to his face.

Dracula spun in his saddle and his smile broadened as he saw the host of vampires assembled at his back nestled within a cave that kept them all from the sun’s deathly rays. Although there were mere dozens as opposed to the thousands which made up his army, it was a formidable sight and he was confident that their numbers would hold sway, despite the witch and warlock that guarded the skull. The other pathetic mortals he discounted altogether…save Willow Van Helsing. She was a mildly formidable foe …although he would kill her just the same. He glanced across to his right and saw William’s surly face staring back at him.

His smile disappeared as he recognised the challenging expression on the other vampire’s face, “It would be best if you did not speak, William.”

A sharp grunt was all that issued forth from the insubordinate vampire but his eyes spoke volumes of the failure that was expected. Dracula lifted his chin and ignored William as he settled back in his saddle to watch the shadows move across the ground, biding his time until the sun disappeared and his time came.

TBC in Chapter 40 – Return to Covasna

Last edited by Alcy on Sat May 17, 2008 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:06 am 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

grr, another mistaken post

Last edited by Alcy on Sat May 17, 2008 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:06 am 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

whoops, double post

Last edited by Alcy on Sat May 17, 2008 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:08 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

oooh Dibs!! I will read now :)

Oh that was fast, didn't have time to feedback to Chapter 38...
So about it, eeeek. I mean it was nice, but kinda frustrating for Tara. sometimes she should really get mad. I hope she will soon and against the real bad guy.

I see that in this chapter 39 however, there is no frustration at all. I bet Faith saw something pretty!!!

Yummy.

Very yummy.

Both chapters were full in emotions though, and as long as it is not over, it will stay that way, what with Willow ready to sacrifice herself. You really write well angst. :)

I hope Faith will not bitch about Tara and Willow... I mean, it seems that she is a bit better, but... She truly hates, or hated?, Tara. And in such a battle, it is important to not let... issues... get in the way.

I can't wait for the next chapter! Thank you so much for this! :-D

Quote:
Sorry to hear you’re going a wee bit crazy :p

Quote:
grr, another mistaken post

Thanks ! I am glad to see I'm not the only one going a wee bit crazy! :p

Have a nice weekend,

Friendly,

Julia

"Joie est mon caractère, C'est la faute à Voltaire; Misère est mon trousseau, C'est la faute à Rousseau." Gavroche. Victor Hugo, Les Misérables (chap. XV)

Last edited by JujuDeRoussie on Sat May 17, 2008 5:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Van Rosenberg (Updated 17 May)
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:21 am 
5. Willowhand

This is a perfect update, Alcy and exactly what I was hoping the title implied! How marvellous (jeepers, I can’t even find a word big enough for this: stupendous, astounding, AWEsome...) that they can finally be “together, together” and with the one they love.

I loved Tara’s “Be silent and come here.”; no preamble as they have waited friggin' long enough! And yet the way in which Tara stops herself so she can really be present and in the moment is wonderfully touching.

As for Tara’s wetness excuse: “I did just spend the last ten minutes with your naked body beneath and above me…how could I not be?” More like: “I did just the last 100 years fantasising about you...how could I not be?”

And these sentiments were simply sublime
Quote:
Whatever was to happen on the morrow did not matter...tomorrow would not come until they were finished.
As if their love actually stopped time just for a moment.

I actually find myself shaking my head at how perfect this (re)union was. Thank you!!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:29 am 
3. Flaming O

So close to call in dips, but never mind! You're spoiling us Alcy! :blush Finally our girls got together! The reunion was very touching and intense! It must have been strange for Willow, knowing, not knowing, feeling something familiar for the first time.. I'm really glad that it felt different to her than her memories though, it was a very nice touch! :sigh

I guess you made a slight error though, since I imagine Willow should be snuggling with Tara right now, not setting up a private meeting with Dracula ;-)
Quote:
He glanced across to his right and saw Willow’s surly face staring back at him.

Just a really good update with well timed angst and smut!

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:56 am 
19. Yummy Face

Excellent update-y goodness... Good that their night before Covashna is different than it was last time... I hope they manage do the spell before Dracula appers...

Posting While Nude Improves Your Mood.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:13 am 
12. Recently Gay

What a way to start my Saturday!

The exchange between Willow and Giles was just beautiful, between him expressing his feelings for Willow and her reiterating her conviction that Giles must do whatever is necessary to destroy the skull had me a little misty eyed.

And then, there’s Tara. I hadn’t expected her to be there so soon, but when Giles said “I do believe that someone else would like a moment of your time,” my heart did a little jump.

Willow’s indignation was a joy. So typical of her.

Quote:
“Will?” Tara prodded gently with a decided gleam in her blue eyes.

“What?” Willow spat back in a grumpy tone.

“Be silent and come here.”

That little piece of dialogue had me grinning like a mad thing. I knew there would be no coitus interuptus this time. After thirty eight chapters of foreplay I was as ready as they were to let loose, and it didn’t disappoint it any shape or form.

Quote:
She needed to have Willow and it went beyond her physical desire for the redhead to a need to assert her humanity.

Is this Tara finally accepting her own redemption? I hope so.

Their love-making was beautiful. It had passion, rawness and humour, and my God, I could feel their need just rolling of them. Powerful writing, Alcy, it had me there with them.

Quote:
The next morning dawned

How I hated to see those words, but I loved Faith’s sensitivity in wanting to give Willow and Tara a little more time before the world comes crashing in again.

One thing has me totally thrown.

Quote:
He glanced across to his right and saw Willow’s surly face staring back at him.

His smile disappeared as he recognised the challenging expression on the other vampire’s face, “It would be best if you did not speak, William.”

If I’m reading this right, then Dracula is telling us that there is some connection between William and Willow. Or is it just a case of him being so focused on Willow that it plays tricks with him?

I suppose it would explain why I felt a few chapters back that William had his own agenda, and it would also go some way to explain Tara’s deep dislike of him.

ETA: I just read nenyath's comment, and if that is a typo, then bang goes my conspiracy theories!

I thought I would never say this, but hurry up and finish, I need answers.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:52 am 
2. Floating Rose

Ooh, so perfect! The calm before the storm. (If you count 'calm' as incredibly erotic, relentless love-making).

Two updates this week - is it my birthday? No? That's ok, I'll take them anyway :)

As always, Alcy, a pleasure to read.

Ems x

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:33 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Hey sorry I haven't been leaving feedback these last couple of chapters, but here it is now. YES YES YES!!! Willow and Tara are together! They have reaffirmed their love. All is right in this fanfic world! I am So excited to read what happens next. The battle with Dracula will be incredibly, incredibly awesome, I am sure of it. Now who is going to kill Dracula, I wonder? Will it be Tara, who had her life taken away by the vampire, and then through that killed her lover? Or will it be Willow, the target of Dracula's perverted desire? Oooh I can't wait! Thanks so much for writing this story!

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:34 am 
3. Flaming O

Holy fuck!!! I...I.......I'll be back once I've recovered...that was...wow!!!!!

I just can’t stop reading this chapter. It BLEW.MY.MIND the first time and every time since!!! :thud You rock my world Alcy, can ya tell? This chapter was my every dream come true!! Well, except for the happily ever after but now Willow and Tara are “together, together” they can get on with the business of defeating Drac, destroying that pesky skull (without hurting our favourite redhead natch) and getting back to some serious HGOGA. There is much to do, the odds are heavily stacked against them but with our gals together again Drac and his vampire goons don’t stand a chance.

After a crappy weekend of titanic proportions this update was like a gift from the gods. My feet still aren’t quite touching the ground...humblest thanks!!

I’m off to bask in this chapter again.

Moon :peace

Last edited by Moonbug on Sun May 18, 2008 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:03 pm 
8. Vixen

I kinda hoped for "Xander" to return but I guess it was better to skip a detailed journey.
Kinda adorable that Willow left one sock on hihi. Displays the urgency pretty well :smash
It was all worth the wait ;) Very beautiful (and hot!) discription of their love-making. I am surprised though that rest of the party didnt wake up or hear them hihi.
Also curious about the Willow-William thing. Typo?

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:30 pm 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

Yes, the William/Willow thing was a typo - I have done it many times in writing drafts and this is the first time (I think) I havent caught it in editing. I guess I just write 'Willow' so many times it's habit.
:peace
Alcy

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:24 pm 
3. Flaming O

Two wonderful updates again. Not much to say about the former one, but about the second one...

I noticed that during the love-making scene there was no mention of (or even reference to, except her bloody perfectness) Tara's vampire-side, and I really liked it. You could have made a big deal out of it, but instead you let them be just like any two girls. It has to mean that Willow loves Tara no matter what she is, and the things she did as a demon don't mean anything. I find that little detail very wonderful.

I'm too starting to think that William has something on his mind, though I don't have any idea what that something could be. I think we'll find out soon though.

Thank you again.
PolarBear

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:28 pm 
5. Willowhand

Alcy, Alcy, Alcy... You've gone and left me speechless. Well, except for my saying your name three times in succession.

I wasn't expecting an update so soon! Yippie!

I feel as if I don't have the words to convey my feelings with all the sliding up passages and rolling of nubs muddling my brain. I've read this three times complete and still come up with the same exact favorite lines.

Quote:
"...Now you just show up in the middle of nowhere with your aggravatingly calm expression..."

Ah-ha! This is *exactly* how I've been feeling about Tara since she became ensouled. It's like, "Girl! Break down or something." And wow... How delicious to finally hear Tara say that she loved Will when she was right there in her presence.

Quote:
"Be silent and come here."

Everyone else loved and quoted it. Still, I don't see why I can't, too. It was just so ... "To hell with everything and everyone else. Let's just be together."

Quote:
“While you are exceptionally adorable I would appreciate you admiring my ‘bloody perfection’ at a later time…it has been a long time after all.”

No matter what century, Will will always be two things 1) a breast girl and 2) exceptionally adorable. I love the calm in which Tara states that she really does need to just fuck and be fucked. I don't know that I could voice 100 years of wait and want with such eloquence.

Quote:
She felt her flesh settle around Tara's fingers and marvelled at just how right it felt.

Marvelled is a kick-ass word! And, uh... flesh settling around fingers? I kinda gasped a little here on the couch when I read that. That is one yummy image. Seriously, how effin' proud were you when you wrote those words? Be honest!

Quote:
Willow felt dreadfully wicked as she parted her legs for Tara to the point where her knees were pressed against the damp sides of the tent.

The smut bunny in me started thumping her tail when I read this. I can say no more about it.

Quote:
Willow found comfort in the knowledge that tomorrow would not come until they were finished.

Finally! It really was vampires be damned. "We're not coming out until we're good 'n through, so n'yah!"

Other stuff happened like sweetness with Giles, the Lara/Myles don't-go-there moment and yeah, yeah... Drac, but COME. ON! Willow and Tara finally got it on again! I don't know how I'm expected to talk about much else...

Last edited by katjetson on Sat May 17, 2008 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 711 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next