The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 797 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Fic: Family Confidential (Sequel to HC) [AU] (04/25)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:30 am 
5. Willowhand

BABY TIME!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:14 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 53
Hi guys. Just wanted to let you all know the update won't be up for a few days. I'm in hospital at the moment and had surgery on my hip this afternoon. It's all written but I don't have my laptop and there's no wifi here. Sorry to leave you all hanging on the very last chapter. I'll try and make cf the epilogue good to make up for it.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:29 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Comment dibs. :p

Hope surgery goes OK.

Post subject: Re: Re: New Fic: Family Confidential (Sequel to HC) [AU] (04
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:57 am 
9. Gay Now

I hope the surgery went ok. Take your time healing. Waiting (somewhat impatiently) for the birth of Robyn and the epilogue and Willow's & Tara's early adventures...

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:38 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

I guessed as much :p Feel better okay? I'm working on a card or drawing suprise goodness as a get better present, although ironically have been hit by a nasty cold. Speak to you soon, and have I told you I love you?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:27 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Hi Laragh,

I hope you are out of hospital and feeling better soon. Take care,

Clare

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:32 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Hey guys,

Thought I might be home by now but no-go. Soon.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:59 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Hope you are feeling better soon! I'm excited for baby time but can wait (somewhat patiently :P). Hope you get to go home soon, hospitals are no fun!

~Leo

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:31 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 1
Interesitng; JJ's first and middle names are translations of each other .
(Hee-hee, my ex wouldn't evne tell me she was probably in labor because she was afriad I'd be too nervous to drive; I figured it out, though.)

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:46 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Topics: 10
Laragh,
I'm more concerned about you getting better than your friend submitting to your wishes. Take it easy, and get well soon!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:56 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Hi everyone!

I'm home from hospital now but pretty worn out and stuff so I'm gonna get the update ready to go for normal time Wednesday. Thanks for everyone's well wishes :)

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:11 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Glad you're back. Can't wait til Wed.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:35 am 
9. Gay Now

Big yay for getting out of the hospital!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:42 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Hey everyone! The update will most certainly be delivered at normal time today.

Until then, enjoy this fabulous drawing by our wonderful fellow kitten vazy of some JJ/Mommy time.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:54 am 
9. Gay Now

Awesome picture!

Post subject: Re: New Fic: Family Confidential (Sequel to HC) [AU] (05/09)
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:04 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

BuffyFan4ever

Quote:
Glad Xander was able to take J.J. They needed some alone time.

They did. It also convieniently leaves the house free for no labour-scream-induced-trauma

Quote:
at alone time.

Oh that’s why you think they needed it so much

Quote:
HOORAY FOR WILLOW BEING IN LABOR!!!

Excitement, excitement, even if it’s late!

Quote:
This has been a perfect study break. Of coarse now you're making me look forward to Finals week, which is just unnatural.

Sorry if I ruined it with the delays! Hopefully it’s still look-forward-able (totally a word)

Thanks for commenting and for the well wishes!

zampsa1975

Quote:
I'm glad that Xander took JJ to a boys night... Yay for Willow getting some Tara-loving before going to labor... Can't wait for the chaos of Robyn being born...

Glad you enjoyed it and here’s the chaos!

Thanks for your comment and for the well wishes!

vazy

Quote:
ROBBIE IS NEARLY HERE. ONE OF THE THINGS THAT I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR. ROBYN NOW, PRIDE LATER! I LOOOOOVE YOU LARARARARARARARAGH AND HOPE YOU'RE FEELING HAPPIER

SO MUCH EXCITEMENT ROBBIE IS COMING! HAVE I TOLD YOU LATELY THAT I LOVE YOU?

Thanks for commenting and well wishes and being awesome!!

DaddyCatALSO

Quote:
I have to ask, was that meant to be a groaner or did it just work out that way ?

Oh I can assure you, the more cringe-y it sounds, the more intentional it is

Quote:
Interesitng; JJ's first and middle names are translations of each other .

That was unintentional lol.

Quote:
(Hee-hee, my ex wouldn't evne tell me she was probably in labor because she was afriad I'd be too nervous to drive; I figured it out, though.)

Wow lol. What she say, hey fancy a drive to the hospital?

Thanks for your comment!

leonhart17

Quote:
Well that's quite the aftermath right there Tara's that good!

She totally is!

Thanks for commenting

Ariel

Hi Julie!

Quote:
Wow, so much reality - loved it!

First, kids can be truly annoying. I'm a mom and I have the right to say that! J.J.'s not a bad kid but he's hot and he's doing his best to escape parental authority - nice touch of truth, there! And Willow being tired and hot and ache-y and grumpy! Glad you haven't shied away from that either.

Even the most serene of people can’t enjoy those last stages of pregnancy and Willow can be grumpy at the best of times!

Quote:
I felt sorry when Tara's sweet "falling in love" comment was rejected, but loved the shyness and sweetness of Willow asking to be taken upstairs.

Yeah poor Willow just wasn’t receptive to such a comment the way she was feeling about herself, but hey, it worked out

Quote:
And I just DIED D-I-E-D DIED when Tara thought that Willow in labor was ready for round three - hilarious!

Haha glad you could get a chuckle!

Willow's panic and the touch of her clawing at the covers searching for Tara's hand was another sweet moment.

Quote:
Have I mentioned lately that I love this story?

Always and ever - keep writing!

Crack that whip, I need it!

Thanks for your feedback

vampyregurl73

Quote:
Nothing like labor to ruin the mood. That happened to a girlfriend of mine, although they were in the middle and her water broke on her husband.... Tim was scarred for a while... but he got over it they have two more kids.

Haha, wow. Like on him?? I would be scarred for life!

Quote:
Anyway...

Woo Hoo, here comes little bean!!!!

Thanks for commenting!

Finey_McFine

Quote:
Woo and hoo!!! Finally! I'm so excited and can't wait to see what happens in the next few chapters. I mean, I know whats going to happen duh, but its gonna be fun ride. Buckle up, cuz Laragh's putting' the hammer down!

Glad you’re excited! The hammer is finally gonna bang, a mere 18 months later

Thanks for your feedback

fhiwda

Quote:
BABY TIME !!!!!!!!!!

BABY TIME!!

Thanks for your comment!

wayland

Quote:
I hope you are out of hospital and feeling better soon. Take care

Thank you so much Clare, out now and starting to feel better

leos_pride

Quote:
Hope you are feeling better soon! I'm excited for baby time but can wait (somewhat patiently ). Hope you get to go home soon, hospitals are no fun!

Haha, I appreciate your wishes and patience! Hope you enjoy baby’s arrival!

Thanks for your comment

BeMyDeputy

Quote:
I 'm more concerned about you getting better. Take it easy, and get well soon!

I appreciate it

Thanks for the good vibes

Update Directly Below

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:07 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

TITLE: Family Confidential

AUTHOR: Laragh

CHAPTER RATING: PG-13

DISCLAIMER: Willow, Tara and any other characters from the Buffy the Vampire Slayer franchise belong to Joss Whedon, FOX, ME and a whole host of other entities, none of which are me.

SUMMARY: The promised sequel to Hacker Confidential. How are Willow, Tara, JJ and all their family getting on 4 years into the future?

SPOILERS: Perhaps minor references to the show or stealage of dialogue, but mostly just spoilers for all of Hacker Confidential . If you haven’t read that...well, you really will have no idea what’s going on lol.

AUTHOR’S NOTE: And now, the end is near… and so I face the final curtain…

Epilogue next Wednesday everyone!

(PS thank you all so much for the well wishes!)

Chapter 63

Previously:

Quote:
Willow started clawing at the sheets, trying to find her wife’s hand.

“N-no, no. Tara! Tara!”

Tara finally registered the puddle of wet they were surrounded in, but didn’t jump to the right conclusion. She opened her eyes and kissed Willow's temple.

“Oh, honey, that’s okay, that happens,” she said gently with a reassuring smile and started to sit up, “I’ll just change the sheets. It’s fine, really.”

Willow was about to explain the misunderstanding but didn’t get a chance as she suddenly shot up in the bed, clutching her stomach as the sharpest pain she’d even experienced ripped through her abdomen.

“Dammit, Tara, I’m in labour!”

The words rang in Tara’s ears but didn’t quite register in her brain.

“Huh?”

Willow screamed as an even more intense pain squeezed through her insides and felt tears spring to her eyes as her teeth clenched together.

“Labour, Tara. I. AM. IN. LABOUR.”

Tara just looked at her wife as if she was trying to figure out a riddle she’d just been told, so Willow grabbed her shirt and began pulling aggressively.

“THE BABY’S COMING!”

Tara’s eyes went wide and she sprang from the bed.

“Holy crap!” she yelled, spinning around in circles, gesticulating wildly, “I-I-I have to call the midwife!”

Willow’s eyes widened in fear and pain.

“Don’t leave me, Tara, please don’t-”

Tara suddenly realised all at once that she needed to give herself a very brief moment to take a breath, and be the calm one in this situation - no matter how terrified she was, Willow was feeling it tenfold.

She climbed back onto the bed and gently took Willow’s face in her hands, leaning her forehead down against her wife’s, looking reassuringly into her tear-glazed eyes.

“I’m here, I’m here, I’m right here.”

Willow seemed to have an entire second of comfort before her eyes creased in agony again and she began to whimper.

“T-Tara, something’s wrong. I-it’s too much, too soon. I-It’s not supposed to be this fast.”

Tara swallowed, not allowing her eyes to show any of her fear and bumped Willow’s nose affectionately.

“Remember what the midwife said. Every birth is different and nothing in the books is going to prepare us. Now, I’m going to call her so she can come and help us, but everything is going to okay, I promise.”

Willow whimpered again but gave a very small nod of trust before her head dropped to her chest and her body tensed with a loud cry. Tara had to blink away her own tears at seeing her wife in such pain and offered her hand to be squeezed as she searched the stacks of books and odd bits of paper on her nightstand for her cell phone.

She finally located it and cursed her shaking hand as she tried to scroll and find the number, while Willow twisted and wailed beside her. After several failed attempts and sweaty swipes, the call finally went through and was answered in just a few seconds.

“Willow’s in labour!” she blurted, figuring she’d be forgiven for forgoing a greeting.

The voice on the other end was calm, saying she was on her way, asking questions, but Tara was struggling to answer in the same way.

“They’re not stopping, they’re every 30 seconds. S-she’s been cramping all day, but we didn’t think much of it, and then her water just broke and now she really seems like–”

“I need to push!”

Tara dropped the phone in shock at Willow’s yelled words.

“WHAT?” she yelled back, her voice taking a not-often-reached high tone, then she scrambled to the floor for her phone, which was completely blank with a large crack down the screen, “Hello? Oh my god, oh my god.”

She dropped the completely broken phone to the floor and was half a moment away from her second round of freaking out when Willow’s timid voice broke through.

“Tara.”

Tara quashed her panic and took another quick, deep breath as she gave Willow her other hand to squeeze too.

“Okay, darling. It’s all okay. I promise I won’t let anything bad happen, I’m going to keep you both safe,” she said with as much reassurance as she could, then took a look between Willow’s legs and had to stifle another ‘holy crap’ as she the baby was already crowning, “Oh my…”

She reached in and felt around, using the ‘finger’ method she’d been taught by the midwife to gauge how far along Willow was and had another round of tensing away her fear as she felt her the full 10 centimetres already, or at least very close to it

How did this happen? How did she not feel this happening? How did–

“TARA!”

Tara shook her head free of her thoughts, deciding no matter how fast it seemed, Willow was deep in labour and it was happening now.

She also knew that this wasn’t something she could stall.

“We’ve got an impatient little one coming, so you need to start pushing,” she said with as much calmness as she could, not believing the words were coming out of her mouth and not the midwife’s.

“ARE YOU CRAZY?!” Willow yelled, ignoring the burning, stinging sensation she’d been told to recognise as a sign that the baby was ready and trying to get out, refusing to believe it.

Tara winced and squeezed Willow’s knees.

“Remember what we learned? Take short, panting breaths. Little breaths, little pushes.”

Willow shook her head furiously.

“T-The midwife.”

“I’m sure she’ll be here very soon,” Tara said soothingly, quickly realising that she was likely going to have to be the one to deliver their baby if things didn’t slow down; and they appeared to have no intention of it, “But you’ve got me.”

Willow felt that utterly overwhelming urge to push again and decided that she must be dreaming, that there was no way she’d gone from tossing and turning to lying in sheets soaked in amniotic fluid with a baby about to fly out of her body.

Her resolve face was about to set and she was ready to pinch herself into wakefulness when she caught sight of the look on Tara’s face staring down between her opened legs; shock, terror, awe all mixed together and knew what was happening was very real.

She squeezed both of her wife’s hands so hard that at a normal time she would have thought she might break them, but in that moment had only one thing she needed to say before she collapsed under the weight of pressure and pain.

“Don’t. Let. Anything. Happen to her.”

Tara raised her head and their eyes locked for an extremely intense moment before Willow did collapse back down, then forced herself back into sitting so she could push.

Tara pulled every ounce of discussion and practice they’d had with the midwife and doctor to the front of her mind, manoeuvring Willow’s legs open to where they needed to be and started to call out encouragingly, not able to even hear her own voice over the pounding of her heart between her ears.

“Sh-she’s coming, Willow! I-I can see her head! She has hair! Keep pushing, Willow, keep breathing, you’re doing it, she’s coming!”

Tara gasped as she put her hands gently on the baby’s head as she emerged, trying to delicately pull while blinking away tears, not wanting to cloud her vision.

“Shoulders…shoulders are almost out, Willow…breathe, honey, then just a few more pushes, just a few more.”

Tara’s mouth hung open in awe as a pair of shoulders twisted out, accompanied by a series of blood-curdling screams and the faint sound of a door banging until she was holding their baby in her entirety, watching her squirm and silently move her mouth, no cry coming yet.

Footsteps pounded in the hallway and the midwife appeared in the doorway, having let herself in with the spare key she had been informed was under the potted plant in one of their early birth plan meetings. She seemed surprised to see them in the position they were in for a moment before she snapped into professional mode and rushed over, dropping her bag and swooping the baby from Tara’s arms, checking her over.

“When did she come out?”

“J-Just now,” Tara replied, still in shock, before her attention focused away to Willow for a second, who appeared to be lying back, unconscious, body rigid and face stiff in agony. She dropped to her knees on the floor and skidded up to her, taking her face and leaving quick, wet kisses all over her, “You did so good. You did so good, honey.”

She kept repeating those words as Willow seemed to stir a little before her glazed eyes flew open and she jerked up as much as she could.

“-she? Where...she...my baby...”

“Right…here,” the midwife answered, coming forward with the baby, cleaned up but still naked and the cord still attached, “10 fingers, 10 toes, your perfectly healthy baby girl.”

She gently placed the baby down and Willow held her on her chest in reverence. Willow's mouth opened and closed as she stared down at the perfectly formed tiny, pink body with her small mop of light hair, still silently moving her mouth around as she got used to the sensation of breathing.

“She’s not crying,” Willow said in alarm, looking up through the sweaty hair flopped over her brow, “Why isn’t she crying?!”

“She’s breathing,” the midwife assured, “Don’t worry, she’s fine, just needs a minute.”

Willow looked back down and watched the gentle rise and fall of the baby’s chest as she heard Tara start to sing beside her; a slowed down, emotional, tender and almost husky rendition.

“Happy Birthday… to you. Happy Birthday…to you. Happy Birthday…Happy Birthday…Happy Birthday…to you.”

“Tara…” Willow whispered, barely audible as she instinctively rocked the baby lightly.

“I see her,” Tara replied in the same wonder-filled tone, “Hi little bean. Hi Robyn.”

She reached up to very gently stroke the baby’s head, straightening out a tuft of the strawberry-blonde hair until the midwife’s voice cut through the silence.

“Tara would you like to cut the cord?”

Tara turned to Willow.

“Can I? Is that okay with you?”

Willow just nodded, too caught up to say anything and the midwife helped Tara to cut the cord near the baby’s bellybutton, leaving the stub there to fall off in its own time. Tara fell back to her position on the floor, leaning over her girls, and started to just repeatedly kiss the side of Willow’s head, overcome at the emotion of the experience.

“Look at her eyes…” Willow whispered, not even noticing the midwife covering her with a sheet and examining her underneath, “They’re so bright. They’re…”

“Turquoise,” Tara replied with a joyous smile, leaning her head against Willow’s, “Blue and green.”

Willow affectionately stroked the baby’s nose.

“Wow…”

There was no sound in the room for the next several minutes apart from the midwife who was bustling around doing what she needed while giving the family some space until it was time for her to be needed in her professional capacity again.

“Willow, I just need a final couple of pushes from you to get the afterbirth out.”

Willow looked deeply conflicted at having to divert her attention so Tara reached out to stroke her cheek tenderly.

“Can I hold her a sec?” she asked, her arms aching to hold the little girl again, “I’ll give her right back.”

Willow’s face softened and she nodded.

“Of course,” she replied, very carefully holding the baby out, “Say hi to Mommy.”

Tara tried to control the shake in her arms as she cradled her baby girl and the tears that had been ready to fall for so long finally did as she leant down and kissed her square between her eyes.

“You beautiful, precious little girl.”

The midwife coached Willow in what needed to be done and started the clean-up procedure as much as she could while a deep, penetrating cry suddenly hit against the walls.

“That’s a healthy cry,” the midwife commented with a smile.

Tara instinctively held her crying daughter close to try and comfort her through her first cry, then saw the wrenching look on Willow’s face and decided her wife needed the cuddle more than she did in that moment, after all she went through.

“Do you want to go back to Momma?” she asked, exhaling shakily as she offered the baby back to Willow, “Here you go, here’s your momma.”

Willow shot Tara a grateful look and held Robyn lengthways so her tiny cheek rested against her own.

“You’re okay, pretty girl. We love you, we love you so much.”

Robyn quietened but didn’t settle completely, wriggling around as her eyes blinked open fully for the first time. The midwife stood over them from the opposite side and smiled warmly.

“Bethany is everything okay?” Tara asked, one hand stroking Willow’s hair, the other, Robyn’s, “Things happened…so fast. I mean, really…so fast. Our birth plan went right out the window. I don’t even think it was ten minutes from when Willow’s water broke to…her.”

“Water breaks the majority of the time only when you’re quite far progressed in labour,” the midwife explained, “You must have been in labour all day and not realised, Willow. You’re quite the trooper.”

“The pains were normal…just more intense,” Willow replied, turning her head in to kiss Robyn’s cheek, “I just figured it was because I was getting closer and closer. Guess I didn’t realise how close.”

Tara smiled lovingly at her two girls, then looked back to the midwife in question.

“There was no tearing or excessive bleeding,” she answered the silent question, “Everything should heal well and timely and your daughter is in perfect condition, we’ll just need to do a standard paediatrician visit over the next few days.”

Willow nodded absently, not having heard much after ‘your daughter’ until the midwife spoke up again.

“Do you want to try feeding, Willow?”

Willow kept her eyes closed and the baby in place, cheek-to-cheek, but looked surprised.

“So soon?”

“If you’re feeling up to it, now would be an ideal time,” the midwife replied.

Willow exhaled slowly and nodded.

“Okay, I’ll try.”

The midwife encouraged Willow on the other, not as destroyed, side of the bed and Tara got a blanket from the closet to cover her, holding the baby as she gingerly lifted her t-shirt over her head.

Willow took the baby back to her chest, gasping at the sensation of the skin-on-skin contact and Tara modestly covered them. Willow swallowed a lump of emotion as she guided the baby’s head into position and encouraged her nipple into her mouth.

Tara watched it all play out in awe, but Robyn didn’t seem willing to latch on.

“She might not be ready yet,” the midwife said reassuringly as she saw Willow's brow crease, “You could have a bath or a shower and try again if you'd like.”

Willow whimpered at the thought of having to give up her hold again and Tara stroked both of their hair at the same time.

“I’ll hold her right beside you.”

Willow sleepily agreed, wanting to just be clean and ready to have non-stop snuggles with her wife and daughter. She delicately stood, uncaring that was completely naked, and kept Robyn close to her chest as she and Tara walked into the bathroom.

Tara set the shower up for Willow and lined the floor with towels so the curtain wouldn’t have to be pulled and she could just sit on the toilet with the baby while her wife stood under the nozzle.

Willow held onto the shower rail as she stepped under the water, her knees bent outwards to alleviate the ache she was sure would be there for a while and spent several long moments just staring down at Tara cooing and cradling their baby.

“I can’t wait for JJ to meet her. Should we call him?”

Tara shook her head softly.

“Probably best to wait until the morning. It's the middle of the night. You could use a little rest and she could too.”

Willow gently wiped herself down with a washcloth as she had been instructed by the midwife, but was barely grazing her skin as she found herself quite easily distracted.

“Tara, she’s perfect. We made a perfect angel.”

Tara was silent but the way she was looking down at the baby, who appeared to have fallen asleep, was indicative that she very much agreed. She peppered Robyn’s face with small kisses before looking up at Willow, eyes shining with emotion.

“You…” she trailed off as she swallowed a lump, “I will spend the rest of my life trying to thank you for this and I won’t ever come close. Are you okay? Are you in pain?”

“It's...it goes away anytime I see her,” Willow replied, smiling as she looked at her sleeping daughter’s features, recognising Tara’s cheekbones, “She looks like you.”

Tara shook her head, clearly seeing a widow’s peak in their baby’s hairline that matched Willow’s.

“She looks like you.”

“She kind of looks like…us,” Willow responded, realising how much of themselves had managed to mix in her, genetics or not, “Her eyes…and her hair…and everything. All mishy-mashy, Willow-Tara-y.”

“And all herself too,” Tara whispered, “Her tiny self.”

Tara decided it was an opportune time to demonstrate the baby’s tininess by gently stroking her fingers and holding them up to stare in awe until her attention was pulled away by a quiet knock on the door.

The midwife was standing there, keeping her eyes directed at Tara so as to not cause Willow to be uncomfortable.

“Tara? Are your spare sheets in the closet?”

“You don’t have to…” Tara started before just smiling softly, “Yes. First shelf. Thank you.”

“She might be ready to try feeding again whenever you feel able, Willow,” the midwife said, smiling briefly before disappearing again.

Robyn apparently agreed as her eyes flicked open and her mouth opened in a low but needy cry.

“Hungry, baby girl?” Tara asked, then looked up to see Willow’s nipples had begun to leak, “Looks like you’re ready.”

Willow glanced down in surprise for a moment, then started to step from the shower.

“Let me help, let me help,” Tara said, quickly standing and offering her shoulder to lean on.

Willow stepped out onto the towels and looked to Tara in a silent request. Tara gave the baby back to her wife and Willow let herself be wrapped in a towel before they slowly walked back into the bedroom, which showed no sign of having been the scene of childbirth less than an hour before; the bed-linen changed into fresh white sheets with a trash bag in the corner housing the old ones.

Willow went straight to the bed to lie with Robyn on her chest and the midwife whispered something to Tara, who disappeared out of the room and came back just a few moments later with a pair of underwear with a pad in it, which she quietly helped Willow put on before taking her place beside them.

“Willow, did you want to try feeding again?” the midwife asked and Willow nodded.

The midwife helped Willow get into a good nursing position and tried some of her tricks on getting Robyn to latch on, but the baby was struggling.

“She doesn’t want me,” Willow said forlornly, looking up with creased eyes, “Does she know I’m not…that she’s not mine…biologically?”

Tara pressed her lips against Willow’s cheek and brushed a finger across Robyn’s.

“Look at that resolve face,” she whispered, “All yours.”

Willow sniffled but then gave a small smile at the resolute features that appeared to be on their daughter’s face.

“That does look like a resolve face.”

“Just give her a moment,” the midwife encouraged, recognising the movement the baby had started to make and smiling when her mouth finally connected just a second later.

“She’s latching! She’s doing it!” Willow exclaimed excitedly as she watched and felt the pressure around her nipple, “You’re doing it, Robyn!”

Tara reached to stroke the baby’s hair, but pulled away, afraid of disturbing her, so contented herself with resting her chin on Willow’s shoulder.

“Wow.”

“She’s feeding from me,” Willow gushed, her wet hair falling into her face.

Tara tenderly brushed it aside.

“I know. It’s amazing,” she said softly, stroking Willow’s wrist on the hand under Robyn, “What does it feel like?”

“Weird. And sore,” Willow replied with a giggle before smiling, “But wonderful.”

Robyn suckled on Willow’s breast for a few moments before dropping off. Willow looked up worriedly.

“Is that enough?”

“She’ll tell you how much she wants and how often, you’ll settle into a routine,” the midwife replied with a kind smile, “Probably a good idea to get a diaper on her.”

“Could I?” Tara asked hopefully, wanting to feel something to connect to the baby after watching her feed.

Willow lifted Robyn and gave her a gentle kiss on the head while Tara covered her with the blanket, then gratefully took the bundle into her arms.

“I love you, Robyn,” she whispered, then looked up to Willow, “Can I get you anything? Anything at all?”

Willow shook her head softly.

“Bring her right back so we can all snuggle together.”

Tara smiled and nodded before slipping off the bed, to where the midwife had laid out a towel and a diaper, ready to go.

“I’ve left some breastfeeding cream here. You can help her apply it as often as she needs,” the midwife said to Tara as she knelt down, “I assume you remember how to do this?”

“Oh yes,” Tara replied, leaving the baby down with some soothing coos, her hands trembling as she lifted her up and secured the diaper around her, not realising the shakes were coming from herself, “Is she cold? Should we put clothes on her?”

She stood back up and held Robyn’s head against her chest, rocking her slightly.

“I would encourage as much skin to skin contact as she can, certainly for this night,” the midwife replied with a reassuring squeeze on Tara’s arm, “I’m going to give you guys some time alone, but stick around just for a few hours to make sure everything is okay. Is it alright with you if I just sit in your living room and make a coffee?”

“Of course,” Tara replied, looking to the woman with deep gratitude, “Thank you… so much.”

The midwife smiled back and picked up her own medical bag and the bag of things to be disposed of that she’d gathered by the door before leaving silently. Tara moved back to the bed and left the baby on Willow’s chest, then knelt down on the floor beside them.

“Would you mind if I took my shirt off and cuddled with you both under there?” she asked quietly, “The midwife said skin-to-skin contact was good for her…I’d like some too.”

“You don’t even have to ask that,” Willow replied as if she was crazy to think she’d say otherwise and smiled as Tara lifted her shirt over her head and snuggled in beside them, “Look, it’s Mommy. Look how beautiful your Mommy is.”

Willow manoeuvred them so the baby was lying on both of their chests, with both sets of arms holding her steady comfortably.

“You’re so beautiful, Robyn,” Tara whispered, bringing Robyn’s hand up to kiss her tiny palm, then leaned over to kiss Willow softly, breathing into her, “You’re so beautiful, Willow.”

Their lips gently caressed each other, the first time since their very abrupt awakening, until Tara felt a pressure around her finger and looked down to see Robyn’s little hand curved around it.

“Willow, look.”

“She’s so strong,” Willow remarked quietly, “I can’t believe she’s here.”

Tara moved her finger up and down as if she was shaking the baby’s hand and felt Willow slump a little against her.

“You should try and sleep.”

Willow shook her head, her gaze never leaving Robyn’s face.

“I just want to watch her forever.”

Tara turned and looked at Willow intently.

“I’ll keep you both safe.”

Willow smiled softly.

“She will, Robyn, your Mommy’s the strongest person I know,” she said to the baby lovingly, “You are safe, and loved.”

Minutes and hours passed with kissing and caressing between all three, the only words spoken that of awe and wonder until the midwife came back to give them a final check before leaving.

“What do we do now?” Willow asked as very early-morning sunlight streamed in through the window, “Do we let everyone know? It’s morning.”

Tara ran her finger over the curve of Robyn’s ear and smiled.

“There’s time for that. I think right now all we need to do is keep cuddling our little girl.”

Tara opened the front door; only moments after the doorbell had stopped ringing, and smiled widely when she saw JJ and Xander standing there. She bent down and scooped JJ into her arms, holding him tight and dropping kisses all over his face until his squirming forced her to stop and stand.

“Did you have a nice night?” she asked and got a happy nod.

“We had pizza and ice-cream and watched Transformers 1 and 2! I stayed up super late!”

Tara let out a low chuckle.

“Your evening sounds almost as eventful as ours.”

Xander shot Tara an odd look at that, thinking it unusual for her to make any reference to sex in front of the little boy but Tara didn’t see it as she leant down to JJ’s level.

“Hey, me and Momma have a surprise for you,” she said with a winning smile, “Do you want to meet your little sister?”

“No freakin’ way!” Xander blurted, his mouth hanging out.

Tara smiled up at Xander but kept her attention on JJ, who was wide-eyed.

“She’s not in Momma’s tummy no more?”

Tara shook her head.

“She’s in the living room and she can’t wait to meet her big brother.”

JJ looked towards the living room door, scared, and Tara took his hand. She motioned for Xander to follow if he wanted and slowly walked with JJ, rounding the doorway to see Willow sitting on the sofa, cradling Robyn in the white dress Tara had bought for her in Sunnydale.

“Hi, buddy,” she said warmly as she saw him enter, “Look who I have. Come say hi.”

JJ clung to Tara’s leg, unmoving, completely unprepared for having come home to the baby being there. Tara leant down and spoke to him quietly for a minute before they both approached the sofa.

JJ carefully and tentatively climbed up beside Willow, peering into her arms at Robyn’s sleeping face.

“She’s weally small.”

“She is,” Tara replied, scooting close beside them, “Would you like to hold her?”

JJ looked wary.

“Will I bweak her?”

Tara shook her head and gave him an encouraging look.

“No, you just have to hold her head extra carefully.”

JJ stared at the baby for another moment before sitting back with his arms out. Willow leaned over and slid her into his arms, both she and Tara at the ready to catch her if there was a stumble but JJ held a tight and secure grip on her straight away.

“JJ, meet your little sister, Robyn Ruth Rosenberg-Maclay.”

“Hi Wobyn,” JJ said to her, still mispronouncing some letters due to his missing front tooth, “I'm Jacob James Rosenberg-Maclay. We have the same last name 'cause I'm your big bruvver!”

Robyn stirred then and Willow was ready to take her back if she started to cry but she remained mute, looking up sleepily at JJ. JJ stared down at her with a little bit of wonder before giving a wide grin.

“She’s pwetty.”

“Tell her,” Willow encouraged.

“You’re pwetty!”

JJ smiled widely down at her and if Willow wasn’t sure it was way too soon for her to have that kind of facial control, she would have sworn Robyn smiled back. Willow looked up at Tara, who was looking down at the two lovingly, apparently seeing the same thing.

Willow stroked Robyn’s hair and leaned down to kiss JJ’s head before rubbing Tara’s arm to get her attention.

“We wanted him to see her first, I guess this means we can call in the cavalry.”

“I can do that!” Xander piped up loudly from where he’d hung back around the doorway “Do you guys need anything else, food or diapers? I’ll get Anya to bring some!”

Willow looked at him gratefully and he whipped out his cell phone, walking over in front of him.

“Hey, dude, smile with your sister!”

JJ looked up and grinned wildly while Xander snapped a pic to send off to everyone.

“How much did she weigh?” he asked as he started to type.

“6 pounds, 3 ounces,” Tara answered proudly.

“6…3…” Xander replied, then smiled, “I think my phone’s going to explode in about 7 seconds.”

He tucked his phone away and shyly approached, leaning down to kiss Robyn’s forehead.

“Welcome to our wacky family,” he whispered to her, “You’re a lucky little girl.”

“Thank you, Xand,” Willow smiled up at him, squeezing his upper arm.

Xander just grinned goofily and tapped the baby’s nose before the first shrill of his phone started and he quickly exited so as not to disturb the calm in the room.

Willow watched proudly as JJ kept a firm and protective hold on his little sister and tenderly kissed the side of his head.

“What do you think?”

JJ turned his head in thought and appeared to thoroughly examine Robyn’s features before smiling with a definitive nod.

“I think I like being a big bruvver!”

Willow beamed and she extended her arm about above the kids to hold Tara’s shoulders.

“And what do you think, missus?”

Tara’s smile could have lit up the whole room as she reached across JJ and Robyn to squeeze Willow’s knee, closing the embrace and holding them all together in a bundle.

“I think I have just about the best family in the world.”

Last edited by Laragh on Fri May 11, 2012 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Re: New Fic: Family Confidential (Sequel to HC) [AU] (05
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:07 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Dibs

Yea for Robyn being born! :balloons :pinky

This is one reason why I'm glad I don't plan on having kids anytime in the foreseeable future. I would not be able to stay calm like Tara.

Quote:
“I can’t wait for JJ to meet her. Should we call him?”

"Gee, I leave for one night and you decide to add another kid." :lol

What's with JJ's Rs? I don't remember them being Ws before. In that case, shouldn't it be "Jacob James Wosenberg-Maclay." :p

Can't wait for the family celebration.

Last edited by BuffyFan4ever on Wed May 09, 2012 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:40 am 
4. Extra Flamey

The Robyn/JJ love begins! God, I'm happy she's here all small and adorable. I think I may just have to draw her in a tiny tiger onesie once I'm done with tonight's homework. I know I've said it before but I'm glad your home, I missed you. I cannot wait for the years of sibling love.

Looking at the picture now she looks less like she's from Grey's (Thank god), but I can't help but notice how bad the colouring is in places. Oh well, still proud of it. Yay JJ/Mommy time! Which on that note Robbie/Mom time was awesome.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:02 am 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Topics: 2
First note to Vazy: LOVED THAT DRAWING!!! It was full of love and just precious! :bow :bow :bow and here's a flower, too! :flower

Hey, Laragh

Wow . . . I cried when Tara sang "Happy Birthday" - just ripped the heart right out of my body . . . but in a good way. :love

And I loved how Tara ended up delivering the baby . . . I think the intense sex and the heavy satisfied sleep masked some symptoms but the good news is that little Robyn came home safe to her two Mothers who both love her so much. A poignant note, Tara wanting to do something for Robyn and feeling a little left out. But that is going to change really soon, it already is. *happy sigh*

They did the right thing taking their own precious time with their baby and loved how Tara let the floor get wet rather than have even a minute where Willow and her couldn't see each other and see the baby. That was just lovely . . . and so Tara-like. But yeah, that very precious getting to know you time only comes once . . . glad they got it! :love :flower :love

Then J.J.'s gap-t oothed lisp and their meeting . . . sweet. And Xander welcoming Robyn in their "wacky" family; if a lot of love and loyalty is 'wacky' then sign me up!

Another beautiful job, you worked in the authentic detail appropriately, too. It never overwhelmed the story, but it framed it gave it an effective reality.

LOVED IT!!!! :applause :applause :applause.

More please! :pray :pray :pray

Ariel

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:02 pm 
9. Gay Now

Yay for awesome update-y goodness... Big yay for Robyn finally seeing the light of day and her mommies and big brother... It must have been a quite an experience for Tara to be the midwife for her daughter... I really loved the little moments of those three together for the first time... I really liked JJ's first encounter with his little sister... I'm glad that Xander was there to bring JJ back home and sending the "bat signal" for the "wacky" family to assemble and meet Robyn for the first time...

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:11 pm 

D'aww, that was adorable! :) Very sweet, cute ending! Love it!

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:15 am 
5. Willowhand

I have a few different reactions... ranging from oh no! to Ew...to AWE!!! The biggest reactions was mostly AWE!!!

I may have even cried a little... but they were happy tears!

xoxo

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:39 am 
3. Flaming O

Aww! And happy tears, beautiful chapter! It's ending? ENDING? But it's just beginning! We want to know what a wonderful little girl Robyn will grow up to be and see JJ being a proud older brother! Please! And thank you for the story! I've enjoyed it immensely!

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:05 pm 
20. Not one Much for the Timber

Topics: 15
P-E-R-F-E-C-T!

Post subject: Re: New Fic: Family Confidential (Sequel to HC) [AU] (05/12)
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 5:14 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Hey guys. Here's a little ficlet of some of the time after the last chapter ended. I wasn't planning on doing this, but I know maybe some of you were disappointed I was going straight to the epilogue after, so hopefully this will help fill in some gaps. You can thank Julie aka Ariel for it, she both persuaded me and came up with a lot of the ideas. I may be able to put up another couple of little mini-chapters like this, this may be the only one. Either way, I hope you enjoy :)

Interlude #1

“One at a time, one at a time,” Willow said nervously and insistently to the gaggle of people standing in their living room, all clawing to get their hands on the baby, “She’s less than twelve hours old, guys.”

The gang heeded the instructions and all stepped back a little, waiting patiently for their turn.

“What was it like pushing a watermelon out of your who-ha?” Buffy asked as she giddily swayed around with Robyn in her arms.

“Exactly how it sounds,” Willow answered before bringing her thumb up to bite the skin around it, “Buffy, can you not bounce her, please? And her head…”

She wrung her hands nervously as she watched Robyn being passed off to the next person in ‘line’, Anya, then felt a hand move up to squeeze her shoulder.

She looked back and caught the mixed reassuring/‘calm down’ look Tara was shooting her and tried to sit back and relax, but her shoulders were still tensed.

“They’re bouncing her!” she hissed quietly, arms crossing over her chest.

“They’re rocking her, they’re saying hello,” Tara replied in a calm whisper, rubbing Willow’s shoulder again, “It’s okay, sweetie. If you’re really not comfortable, let me know and I’ll get her back.”

Willow nodded in agreement and kept a careful eye but did seem to relax a little bit.

“Xander, you need to put a girl in my belly,” Anya said thoughtfully as she took her time to cradle the baby, “Alex just refuses to wear those diamond-studded sneakers I got him.”

“I-I thought we said we only wanted one kid,” Xander replied, nervously running a hand through his hair, “You said you didn’t want to be pregnant again…”

He knew better than to add ‘and I don’t want to run the risk of dismemberment every day for another nine months’ while Anya seemed to consider his point.

“I suppose it is nice to be able to just observe her cuteness and then hand her back,” she mused, before grinning from ear to ear, “You’re a genius, Xander! We’ll use other people’s children as our dress-up toys!”

Willow almost leapt across the room in one fell swoop at that, but Tara held her back and caught Alice’s eye to take the baby from Anya before her wife blew up in front of everyone.

Anya didn’t protest offloading the baby as she seemed to be caught up in her next idea.

“Is it time for presents now?”

“Presents?” Willow asked in confusion, still eyeing her cautiously despite Tara’s calming rubs on her back.

“Yes,” Anya answered plainly, “It’s her birthday. Tradition calls for presents and cake. I brought both.”

“We actually got you guys something too,” Jesse piped up.

“And us!” Buffy chipped in.

There was a murmur of agreement around the room that everyone seemed to have a gift to give and Willow very gratefully took her daughter back as they all went out to their cars.

“I’ll go get the boys,” Tara said, starting to stand and move towards the back yard where JJ and Alex had gone off to play on their own, having gotten over the baby fever quite quickly, “I’m sure they won’t want to miss cake.”

She walked through the kitchen and out the back door, seeing the two sitting bouncing a basketball back and forth between them.

“You wouldn’t understand, Alex,” Tara heard JJ say with more than a hint of pride, “You’re not a big bruvver.”

She smiled softly and moved towards them.

“Boys,” she called, getting their attention straight away, “We’re having cake.”

The ball was quickly forgotten as they raced past her in excitement, and she followed back into the living room where Willow and the baby had been surrounded by gifts.

“Where’s the cake, where’s the cake?” JJ asked.

“’ight ‘ere,” Xander answered, blushing through his mouthful that he’d eagerly cut off as soon as it had been placed down.

“Wait, Jacob, before you have your cake,” Ira suddenly spoke up, crossing the room and picking up one of the gifts, “This is for you.”

JJ took it, confused.

“Why for me?”

“Because today is the day you became a big brother,” Ira answered, his tone conveying the significance “It’s a very important day.”

JJ nodded seriously and started to peel away the paper, revealing an old, slightly rusted but obviously cared-for pocket watch in the centre.

“What is it?” he asked, picking it up and turning it around to examine it.

“It’s a pocket watch,” Ira answered, “It’s like the watch on your wrist, except you keep it in your pocket.”

JJ seemed pleased with the novelty of the item but noticed it was a lot less shiny than gifts he normally received.

“It’s old.”

Ira nodded.

“It’s very special, Jacob. My father gave this to me, and his father gave it to him, more than a hundred years ago. It means you’re the man of the family,” he said, meeting his grandson’s gaze, who appeared to be listening intently. “Are you ready to be the man of the family?”

JJ had little idea of what that actually meant, but he did understand he was being honoured and trusted with the watch in a special way – even if the logistics escaped him.

He nodded earnestly.

“Yes, sir.”

Ira took JJ’s hand and shook it firmly, then smiled warmly.

“Enjoy your cake, son.”

JJ carefully deposited his new pocket watch into his pants pocket, then scurried over to where both Xander and Alex were now on their second slices, eagerly picking up the piece that had been cut for him.

Ira straightened up and started to retreat, but not before Tara caught his hand and looked up to him, touched.

“Thank you, Ira.”

Ira just nodded and squeezed Tara’s hand before moving back into the crowd of people.

Willow was still engrossed in the gifts surrounding her.

“Wow, Robyn, look at all this stuff. What do you want to open first?” she asked the baby, moving a hand over then until she heard a gurgle, “This one? Okay.”

“That’s from me!” Buffy expounded excitedly, “I mean us! But I picked it!”

Willow smiled up at her friend and started to unwrap the tissue paper packaging, pulling out an outfit ensemble of a patterned, purple, hooded jacket; a soft yellow t-shirt with a smiling sun on it, plain black leggings and finished off with a pair of knitted purple booties.

“Buffy, this is adorable,” Willow gushed as she held it all up and against Robyn.

“They don’t have it in adult size,” Buffy replied sadly, “I checked.”

Willow smiled and handed the outfit over to Tara to have a look at, then started opening the rest of the gifts. By the time she was finished, Robyn was well stocked with a collection of baby books from Becky and Brian, a baby bouncer from Alice and Jesse, luxury baby blankets from Ira and Michelle and a savings bond from Xander and Anya.

Tara had taken the baby so the gifts could be unwrapped and was rubbing Robyn’s hand on the super-soft blankets they’d received while Willow looked through everything in awe, then smiled up at the gang.

“Wow, guys, you’re all so kind, we really app–”

“Wait, I have more!” Anya suddenly announced, grabbing her purse and going to sit on the other side of Willow as she pulled things out, “Here’s a baby bracelet for you, Robyn. I put your name on it and everything. You should learn that now, mark the things you own.”

“Thank you, Anya,” Tara smiled genuinely as she took the silver bracelet adorned with some pink gems either side of Robyn’s name and slipped it over the baby’s wrist, “That’s very sweet, it’s so pretty.”

Anya seemed pleased that her gift was well received and reached deep into her boutique purse that was conveniently bigger than her own head, producing a clear bottle filled with white liquid next.

“This is the Crème de la Mer of baby moisturiser,” she said, handing it to Tara, before she was searching again and brought out a small, covered, woven wicker basket, the size of a bag of sugar, filled with various beauty products, “This is for you, Willow. I know how I felt after giving birth. It’s nice to feel pretty.”

She gave a small shrug as she handed it to Willow, who took it and held it for a moment, before smiling tenderly up at Anya, clearly moved.

“Thank you.”

Anya shrugged again, never quite sure whether an emotional moment with Willow would turn into a hug or a yelling match, so quickly moved onto the last gift she had, taking out a glossy book, stylised as a manual.

“This is for when you’re a teenager, Robyn. It’s a book on how to talk to boys to get what you want. Your mothers will obviously be useless on the subject, so you can come to me!”

Anya seemed delighted at the prospect of being the go-to boy guru and Willow rolled her eyes but kept her mouth shut as she took the book and left it down with the rest of the gifts.

“Thank you,” Tara spoke up in gratitude, “Thank you all. For welcoming our little girl in our family.”

Smiles were exchanged with everybody until JJ suddenly bounded forward, grinning, white frosting covering his mouth.

“Happy burfday, Wobyn!”

There was a chorus of laughs around the room and Willow pulled JJ into her lap to give him a cuddle while Tara moved in closer to them and kissed her daughter’s cheek.

“Happy birthday, Robyn.”

Last edited by Laragh on Mon May 14, 2012 2:14 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:35 am 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Topics: 2
DIBS!!! (Usual Dibs-whip magically transformed!) => :heart :flower :love :heart :flower :love :wtkiss

Hi Laragh! :bigwave

Isn’t it wonderful what whining, begging and shameless groveling can accomplish? I feel so proud! :grin I also have to throw Shelby under the bus, too since I told you that we were BOTH wanting more! (Hahahaha Shelby! Ratted you out! :wink )

Loved this magic moment:
Quote:
“What was it like pushing a watermelon out of your who-ha?” Buffy asked as she giddily swayed around with Robyn in her arms.

“Exactly how it sounds,” Willow answered before bringing her thumb up to bite the skin around it, “Buffy, can you not bounce her, please? And her head…”

She wrung her hands nervously as she watched Robyn being passed off to the next person in ‘line’, Anya, then felt a hand move up to squeeze her shoulder.

She looked back and caught the mixed reassuring/‘calm down’ look Tara was shooting her and tried to sit back and relax, but her shoulders were still tensed.

“They’re bouncing her!” she hissed quietly, arms crossing over her chest.
Then Tara, gently calming her down but willing to get Robyn back if Willow asked her . . . sweet moment.

Loved Buffy being proud of her gifts and Anya offering to turn Robyn into her dress up toy (never knowing how close she’d come to death at Willow’s hands! :lmao )

Then Ira honoring J.J. and the family knitting together, welcoming their newest member . . . thanks!

*happy sigh*

Ariel
How I Met Your Mother

Last edited by Ariel on Sat May 12, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:14 am 
9. Gay Now

Yay for excellent min-update-y goodness... I really liked the way Robyn met her extended Scooby-Family...

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:25 pm 

:) Of course Anya gives her money and is already teaching her about ownership :P I love Anya...

Post subject: Re: New Fic: Family Confidential (Sequel to HC) [AU] (05/13)
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:27 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

~Interlude #2~

“We’ll go soon. I know you’re all very tired.”

“It’s okay, Dad,” Willow smiled, quite tiredly but happily, at her father who was sitting with Michelle across from them in the living room - the only two of everyone left - and was cradling Robyn like a precious china doll, “We’re happy to show her off. Although I was getting a little overwhelmed when everyone was here. I’m surprised she didn’t cry more.”

“She was taking it all in,” Ira replied quite proudly, “Just like you used to. So curious.”

He watched as Robyn let out some quiet murmurs as she wiggled in his arms and moved her eyes in slow blinks. His smile just got wider and wider until he finally let out a joyous laugh.

“Oh this takes me back. Your mother slept solidly for a week after giving birth to you and I would just sit in my den with you, holding you like this. Sometimes we’d go to the kitchen to get your bottle or upstairs for a new diaper and each new room you’d examine with such scrutiny.”

“When Tara was just born, she didn’t make a peep for an entire day,” Michelle added as she sat as close to Ira as possible and tenderly stroked the baby’s hair, “She just seemed so happy to go from person to person, whoever she needed to. She did love her Mama’s arms though.”

Tara smiled a little sadly and there was a momentary grieving look between the two until an oblivious Ira laughed happily again.

“Well I certainly hope you don’t inherit your mother’s propensity for ‘adventure,” he said, his eyes lighting up, “Petunias all over the yard, dirt all over the house!”

“Oh Tara loved the outdoors too,” Michelle said with the same affectionate tone, “Once she collected a leaf from every different tree she could find and pasted them on a piece of paper to form a heart for Mother’s Day. Lisa loved it so much; she brought it all the way to Buffalo to show me on her next visit.”

“Okay, okay, we get it,” Willow rolled her eyes a little, “Tara was a model child, Willow was a demon.”

Ira looked up with a soft smile and shook his head.

“Far from it,” he said, looking away thoughtfully for a moment, “Once, you couldn’t have been more than three, maybe four, and you were on one of your ‘adventures’. We’d enclosed the yard, of course, but you were so smart you had of course figured out the lock on the gate.”

He paused for a moment as there was a flash of fear in his eye.

“That you didn’t run out in front of a car or get taken by someone,” he stopped again and muttered some Hebrew words under his breath before continuing, “Anyway. You went off and I don’t know where you found this young girl, your age, but she had lost her mother and scraped her knee and you brought her home. You insisted you play doctor and put the Band-Aid on, and that you give her your favourite teddy bear; almost cried handing it over, but never hesitated. She had her phone number in her shoe, she was a long way from home, had wandered away on a shopping trip but we found her mother. I asked you if you wanted me to get your bear back as she left and you very clearly said ‘No, Papa. She needs a friend. Toby will be her friend.’”

Tara smiled widely as she heard the story and leaned over to press a warm kiss against Willow’s cheek.

“You’re the sweetest.”

“I don’t remember that,” Willow replied, blushing a little and smiling.

Ira shared his daughter’s smile, then lifted Robyn up to kiss her nose.

“Integrity, dear Robyn. Your mothers have it in spades. I have no doubt if nothing else; you will get that from them.”

Willow looked over at Tara and smiled proudly.

Proud that they were parents; proud that Tara was the one she shared children with; proud for all they did and were together and separately to make their family whole.

Tara's eyes shone back brightly and their hands instinctively grafted together, fingers intertwining softly, but the moment was cut short as Ira suddenly cleared his throat.

“I think she might require a new diaper.”

“I’ve got her,” Tara said eagerly, jumping up and scooping her from Ira’s arms, “We’ll get you a nice, new clean diaper, little miss. Yes we will.”

“Could I come with you, Tara?” Michelle asked and Tara looked over her shoulder with a smile and a nod, so she followed them up the stairs and into the baby’s room, “Her nursery is really lovely.”

“Thanks,” Tara replied brightly as she set Robyn down on the changing table, “It would have to be for my perfect little girl.”

She got the diaper off and disposed of, humming happily the whole time.

“You know this is her twelfth diaper today already,” she commented proudly, “She’s a super pooper trooper!”

She laughed to herself and shook her head softly.

“Sorry. I’m completely gone gaga. She’s just so wonderful.”

Michelle smiled warmly from beside them.

“She is. Tara, she’s beautiful,” she said, then put a hand on her niece’s shoulder, “Your mother would have been so proud.”

Tara’s smiled beamed as she wiped and talc’d and Michelle leaned back against the wall to watch Robyn’s kicking legs.

“When I held her earlier, I felt like I was holding you again for the first time,” she mused, then laughed, “And when I held you for the first time I felt like I was holding your mother again. Except I was just a little girl when I did that.”

She reached out to take one of Robyn’s hands.

“It’s so amazing, how we can create life.”

Tara got the new diaper secured and looked at her aunt with tender eyes.

“Do you wish you’d had children?”

Michelle seemed thoughtful, but not sad.

“A part of me, maybe. But I wasn’t open to any kind of love for a long time. I wouldn’t have brought a child into that environment.”

Tara nodded and listened as she redressed Robyn before finally offering a smile.

“You get to make up for it with your grandkids.”

Michelle smiled kindly and continued to ‘shake’ Robyn’s hand.

“You know, the first time JJ called me Grandma, I felt like I had stolen something from Lisa. Stolen her family. I didn’t help her when she needed it and then took all the good that had eventually come to be from what she had given.”

Tara’s brow creased and she was about to open her mouth to argue, but Michelle got there first in a gentle, reflective tone.

“But I don’t think that’s true. I think we share it. She watches us from above and I take on what I can here.”

Tara instantly felt herself get choked up and lifted Robyn to her chest for comfort.

“I’m good with that arrangement,” she said in an unintentionally coarse whisper, before inhaling a calming breath from the top of Robyn’s head a few times, taking in the irreproducible scent that only a newborn had, “It’s been a very emotional twenty-four hours.”

“Of course,” Michelle replied, giving Tara’s shoulder a comforting squeeze, “Would you like a moment alone?”

Tara nodded gratefully.

“I’ll be down in a few.”

She settled herself onto the small couch and relaxed back into it as Michelle left the room, humming softly again to Robyn. She took a silent moment of contemplation for the two of them before she found some words becoming interspersed with her humming.

And these are the moments,
I thank God that I'm alive.
And these are the moments,
I'll remember all my life.
I've found all I've waited for,
And I could not ask for more.

Looking in your eyes,
Seeing all I need.
Everything you are,
Is everything to me

She saw those bright eyes fixed on her own and very tenderly traced Robyn's features.

“It amazes me how you came from me, and then from Momma,” she said aloud, though quietly, “How you could come from the tiniest little…and look at you. Six pounds, three ounces of perfect. Although you’re at least an ounce or two lighter after that last diaper.”

She laughed to herself and adjusted her arms to hold the baby more comfortably.

“I’ve only fallen in love three times, Robyn. First your Momma, then your brother, now you. Love at first sight, all of you. And I had a lot of hate in my life before that first love…but it doesn’t…it can’t even come close to comparing…”

She sighed softly, happily.

“Every bad thing that ever happened to me…”

Downstairs, Michelle entered the living room once again, and Willow was instantly on alert when she didn’t see her wife following.

“Where’s Tara?”

“She just needed a moment,” Michelle explained as she sat back down next to Ira.

“Is she okay?” Willow asked, already getting to her feet, “Does she need me?”

“I think she’s okay,” Michelle reassured, “It’s been noise, noise, noise all day; she was just appreciating having a quiet minute.”

Willow nodded but remained standing.

“Well maybe I’ll go make sure JJ brushed his teeth…and look in on her.”

“I think it’s time we leave anyway,” Ira said, standing too and taking Michelle’s hand, “We’ll come back tomorrow? If that’s okay?”

Willow smiled softly.

“Sure thing, Dad.”

Ira walked over and pulled Willow into a gentle but all-encompassing, warm hug.

“Give that little girl a kiss from her Grandpa, and my grandson too!”

“I will,” Willow beamed, “And seriously, come by tomorrow, for dinner even. Can’t promise it’ll be fancy, but it’ll definitely be edible and maybe even good if Tara’s the one cooking!”

Ira and Michelle agreed to both come over for dinner the next day, and also bring it with them to save the hassle of cooking, before departing with another round of hugs. Willow shut the door and was quickly but still gingerly ascending the stairs.

She moved towards the nursery but stopped short of going in when she saw Tara seemed to be quite happily cuddling their daughter and speaking to her with no hint of hurt.

“…led me on the path to you. Every ounce of pain…I’ve been able to replace with a million ounces of love. And every single one of those goes into loving my three shining stars.”

Willow smiled and blew Tara a silent kiss, not wanting to disturb the moment she was clearly having with their girl, then quietly moved away and towards JJ’s room. He was sitting in the corner, already in his pyjamas, playing with his cars.

“Hey, did you get your teeth brushed?” she asked as she entered, and instantly got a nod of confirmation, “Then let me get you all tucked in!”

JJ didn’t protest, it had been a long and exhausting day for him too, so he left his cars in position to play with the next day and scurried over to his bed. Right before he was about to jump in, Willow suddenly got to him first and bombarded him with a hug.

“Give me a big hug!” she requested and felt his arms wrap around her, “You can fit your arms around me!”

JJ giggled and tightened his arms, liking being able to do it again. Willow rocked him back and forth as they enjoyed their own moment before settling him under the covers. She was about to ask what book he’d like, when a shrill cry made them both jump.

Willow glanced down at her watch and saw that Robyn was very likely looking to be fed if she’d just had her diaper changed and looked down at her son regretfully, offering him a kiss onto his forehead.

“Robyn needs me to feed her. I’ll send Mommy right in, okay?”

JJ just nodded, not seeming too put out that the baby was taking his attention away so Willow hurried out and into the nursery, where Tara was already standing.

“I was just about to call you.”

“Yeah, I figured it was nommy-time,” Willow answered, taking the baby from Tara, “Everyone’s gone. JJ’s ready for bed.”

“On it,” Tara replied promptly, then turned to leave but not before giving her wife a warm smile and a quick kiss on the lips, “I love you.”

She left without another word and Willow flopped down onto the couch with a giddy grin and a happy murmur. She got Robyn settled onto her breast and stayed grinning as the very-familiar but always-tantalising Tara-tingle stayed on her lips.

“And you'll never know how much I love you too.”

Last edited by Laragh on Mon May 14, 2012 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 797 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next