The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
 Post subject: Re: ok, ummm... wow.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:56 am 
DW, I for one would love to see your illustrations to this fic. I love what you have created with words to portray these characters, and it would be lovely to see illustrations to further visualize these characters/scenes :) .

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:39 am 
Yes, illustrations would be wonderful. :)

I love this story so much and was glad to see a new update. Emily and Joseph are just so great together and I've always loved the idea of the Scoobies' kids being best friends. Great stuff!

Thanks again and looking forward to more!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:15 am 
Oh like you need to ask.

Artwork to go with THIS fic.

Fabulous! Put it up!

Urn of Osiris
__________________**
Anyone else waiting for it to go poof? My thoughts on S7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:04 pm 
awww, Joseph is such a sweetie...gotta love him. You can tell Emily & Joseph have an incredible friendship..they're too cute. Bless them...

artwork? Illustrate away! :bounce

Tk's new and improved "GrrArgg"...Tk's Heaven

"I've become really protective of her. I want to make sure if Tara comes back, it's for good reason." -Amber Benson
Tara ate her, devoured her from beneath. -The Edge of Silence giving new meaning to this season's catch phrase.
"Got it: that's a 'yes' to petals; a 'no' to pricks. I should remember that more often." -On Second Thought

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:43 pm 
Illustrations? That'd be much fun.

I happen to think mine is the level head,
and yours is the one things would roll off of.

Post subject: Yet another small addition....
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 2:41 pm 
In regards to illustrations:

Okay, well cool.

I'm going to start putting them up on my website at some point this week.

And now... I think you all will be happy to know that I have decided to go back to my routine of frequent little postings rather than continuing to stretch things out between updates just so that I have something meatier to post in the thread. So yay to frequent mini-postings... I hope.

Here is some more fer yah--

Willow was in a world of her own. Although her mind continued to process the argument going on around her, he body and heart were completely attuned to Michelle as the young babe continued to suckle hungrily at her breast. Willow’s mind involuntarily thought back to when Emily was just an infant and the many times the redhead had looked on intently as Tara nursed their baby daughter. How covetous she had been of both of them, of the intimacy shared only by a mother and her child.

She had not been prepared for the jealousy; she had assumed that watching her lover breastfeed would have almost the opposite effect. Willow had worried that she would only see Tara’s breasts as feeding implements rather than objects of sexual desire. But she had been wrong. While watching Tara nurse Emily hadn’t exactly turned her into a pile of warm wet goo, after all, this was her wife and daughter she had been watching so intently, it had caused her to desire the same connection with Tara. The maternal connection; she had wanted Tara to coddle her, to hold her, and yes to even nurse her too. And on a couple of rare occasions, she had even gotten her wish.

It wasn’t that Willow felt that Emily had been usurping her role with Tara. Not at all. Willow had merely wanted to somehow be a part of it all. Now she was, more than she ever could have imagined she would be. Certainly by now it had become a scheduled routine, a chore to be done: time to feed the baby. But even so, it still hadn’t lost its intimacy, its closeness… its magic. Willow smiled as Michelle reached up a tiny hand and pressed it against her swollen breast, trying to encourage more milk to let down. Somebody’s hungry, she thought to herself.

It amazed her how much nursing Michelle consistently calmed her down. She had always joked that only one thing could stop the noise in her head, and while that activity did have a tendency to stop all thought completely, the act of breastfeeding seemed to calm her mind to a point where she could actually think more clearly instead of not at all. She was taking advantage of that fact right now.

The room seemed almost cacophonous with everyone voicing their own opinions about what should be done. Willow had realized quite quickly that Emily could probably hear everything that was going on through the wall to Joseph’s room. She knew that her little girl was probably blaming herself for all of this, and Willow decided right then and there that such a thing just wouldn’t do. She adjusted the baby blanket she had draped over her shoulder, making sure it still covered her breast and Michelle’s head, and softly spoke up.

“Stop, everyone. Stop, please.”

The bustle of the room came to a slow halt, all eyes slowly turning to Willow with concerned glances.

“Sorry, Will”, said Xander, “Are we disturbing Michelle?”

“It’s not Michelle I’m worried about”, answered Willow, “It’s Emily.”

“We all are”, stated Buffy, “That’s why we’re trying to find a way to...”

“Stop Le Fay”, the redhead finished for her. “I know. But that’s the problem. This shouldn’t be about stopping Le Fay. It should be, and I know that Tara will agree with me I on this, it should be about keeping our daughter safe from harm.”

Tara nodded vigorously and moved to join her wife, standing by her side. Buffy approached the couple, looking a little perplexed. “Exactly”, she said, “and part of keeping Emily safe is getting rid of this Le Fay character.”

“I not just talking about her physical safety”, Willow went on, “I’m talking about her emotional safety too. Do you really think that she can’t hear everything that we’re saying in here? She’s only in the room next door. If you think she isn’t in there blaming herself for all of this, then you really don’t know anything about her, or about us. She may not be a little baby anymore, but she still depends on us, all of us, to provide a safe haven. And right now she’s in there listening to us argue what to do about her rather than what to do for her.”

“What can I do for her, Willow, except what I am best at: Stop the Bad Guy”, Buffy countered. “And that is what I am trying to do for Emily. Stop the bad guy.”

“And don’t think we don’t appreciate that”, said Tara, “But Buffy, do you even know how? Before you rush off into battle, we’re faced with several problems. Like who Le Fay is and where her weaknesses are.”

“I know at least one person here who might should have the answers to those questions, that is if she is willing to share them”, said the slayer, pointedly looking at Ghaena.

The priestess nodded, and cleared her throat to speak. “The only way to destroy Morgan Le Fay is to raise Avalon from the mists. As far as who Le Fay is masquerading as, that I do not know.”

"So then we give those pesky mists some proactive rollback action", suggested Xander.

"Only Emily can raise the enchanted isle, and even then only when she is ready", stated Ghaena.

"When is she going to be ready?" asked Anya.

"Only she will know for sure", replied the brunette.

"So what you're telling us", Buffy surmised, "is that there is nothing we can do."

"No, that's not what she is saying", said Tara. "She's just saying we can't raise Avalon. That doesn't mean we can't do anything else."

"The most important thing along with keeping Emily safe is trying to maintain a level of normalcy for her", said Willow. "She sees all of us freaking out, and it's only going to freak her out too. And as for pulling her out of school", she continued, looking at Xander, "if we do that she'll think that we're punishing her."

"But, Willow..." he started to protest.

"You're right", she interrupted him, "she isn't safe, and I don't want her to go back there either."

"So what should we do?" Tara questioned her.

"What about private school?" offered Anya.

"Yeah", Willow conceded, but the only private school in Sunnydale is ‘Our Lady of the Saints’.”

"You mean the Catholic school!?" Tara blurted out.

"It's a perfectly good school", defended Anya, "for anyone who isn't religiously intolerant."

"We aren't intolerant of them, Anya", Tara explained, "It's just, they tend to be intolerant of us. Do you really think they would allow a lesbian couple, one of whom is Jewish and the other one Wiccan, to enroll a child in their school?"

"I can see the enrollment interview now", the redhead commented wryly. “Not to mention the fact that private school is expensive. I make a pretty decent living with my job, but I’m the only income for our family, and now that it’s gotten a little larger with Michelle, I just don’t think we could afford it.”

“So once again we are back at square one”, Buffy sighed, slumping down into the couch.

“I think we should let Emily decide what she wants to do”, offered Willow.

“I agree”, stated Tara.

The rest of the Scoobies and Ghanae could see that the couple was firm in their decision to let their child be the one to make the final choice in regards to her immediate situation.

“Alright”, said Ghaena, “what shall we do for tonight then?”

“It’s almost dinner time”, said Tara, “I suppose it would be best to stay here….”

“I was going to order pizza”, announced Xander. Willow and Tara both tried their best to stifle their grimace.

“It’s Tuesday and therefore pizza night”, Anya explained.

Tara leaned in and whispered in her lover’s ear, “I’ve got some chicken defrosting at home and some fresh vegetables in the fridge. I’d rather Emily had a more nutritious dinner than pizza, and you too for that matter.”

Willow nodded her head in agreement, turning to whisper back, “Sounds good. Plus I think it would be better for her to be at home.”

“Is the bench conference over with?” asked Buffy, curious to know what her friends were discussing.

The redhead looked up to the slayer, “Tara and I both think it’s best we be at home tonight.”

“Willow, are you sure”, queried Xander, “I mean, you think you guys will be safe enough there? Everyone’s already here and on guard, we can sleep in shifts if we have to.”

“I don’t think that will be necessary”, stated Ghaena, “I have a feeling today’s event may have been an isolated one. Le Fay may only have been testing the waters to see how difficult getting the child would ultimately be. I wouldn’t vote against a certain level of precaution, but I agree with her mothers’ decision to try and keep things as normal for Emily as possible.”

“Thank you, Ghaena”, said Tara, truly grateful. Willow squeezed her wife’s hand to get her attention; the two shared a quick and silent communication before the redhead turned back to the slayer. “Buffy, if you would like to join us for dinner, and maybe the night too, you’re more than welcome to.”

Tara and Willow both recognized and appreciated Buffy’s need to be proactive, they knew that by extending this invitation, they were helping her to feel more useful and less helpless about the situation.

“Count me in”, Buffy smiled, “what’s for dinner tonight?”

“Baked chicken and steamed vegetables”, Tara replied.

“Mmmm, scrumdiddliumscious.” The petite blonde approved. “Of course, Willow will be getting the breast portion”, she added, before catching herself, “I mean… BEST portion.”

“It’s okay, Buffy”, Willow giggled, “Tara knows the breasts are my favorite part.” Her lover sent her a playful yet reproachful glance while trying to stifle her own set of giggles.

“Yes, well, on that note of way too much information”, Buffy blushed, moving to the hall, “I’m going to go collect the munchkin.” The slayer practically ran into the wall trying to get out of the room.

TBC...

Edited by: DarkWiccan at: 12/5/02 12:48:02 pm

Post subject: Re: Yet another small addition....
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:17 pm 
Look... a post. I'll edit later with constructive comments.

And here I am with the editing:

I'm so in love with this story. Cheesy comment... I know. Anyway, I like seeing the closeness of Willow with her children and especially how she actually considers Emily's feelings. I don't know if it's from personal experience or not, but I get that warm fuzzy feeling when I see parents who are genuinely concerned for their children and care how they feel. I don't feel like I got that when I was growing up. It's nice to see here.

I had to laugh about the Catholic school part. I don't really know what was so funny about it, but for some reason I laughed. I have a bunch of Catholic friends, so I get to have lots of fun conversations about religious views and the strictness of some aspects of Catholicism. My favorite part of having Catholic friends though (and this has nothing to do with anything, just thought I'd share) is that instead of telling them "Go to Hell!" I get to say "Oh, go to Purgatory!" For some reason I derive odd pleasure from that.

Anyway, great update. I'm looking forward to more. And I hope you feel better now that people have posted in your thread.

Sarah

You can stomp my ass into obvlivion, but that doesn't mean I'll put up with your shit. There are a million fine looking women in the world, but not all of them bring you lasagna to work. Most of them just cheat on you.

Edited by: unionjill30 at: 12/4/02 9:23:09 pm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:43 pm 
Hey DW sorry I had so much to catch up on I was back on page 48 :) I really like how this story is going, I am sure that Le Fay is the counseller as they seemed so angry at Heckle (who I don't like). I thought Joseph was wonderful comforting Emily, he was like Xander used to be in seasons past, I did feel sorry for him when he couldn't hear what was going on though. Poor Emily I am glad Willow stopped and thought about her and I think they are both making the right decision.

Sorry to hear about loosing the big update {hugs} PC's suck sometimes. Try and save to disc occasionally just in case though...hindsight that wonderful thing eh? :grin Although I am pleased that updates will be frequent, I'll try and keep up with them.

I could crap a better existence than this.
My view on season severed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 1:24 am 
DW, I really liked the insight into Willow about "wanting to somehow be a part of it all" with her thoughts on breast-feeding (ie Willow feeling "jealously"/"wanting to feel that intimate connection" as Tara breast-fed Emily), and now in the present she is able to experience it's "magic" firsthand.

I thought Willow saying, ("And right now she's in there listening to us argue what to do about her rather than what to do for her") very enlightening. The gang wants to protect Emily, but as Willow points out it's Emily's needs that they should be focusing on (especially considering only Emily can "raise Avalon from the Mists, and thus destroy Le Fay"). Although, I am curious if they need Emily to "destroy" Le Fay, I am intrigued how the gang will handle Morgan (once they figure out who she is) until Emily can "raise the Mists"? As for immediate concerns, Emily needs reassurance, to remain in her routine, and thus, reinforce she isn't to blame.

Lastly, :lol to "breast portion" exchange, and poor Buff almost hitting the wall in her attempt to escape further embarrassment. Can't wait to see what happens next!

Edited by: VampNo12  at: 12/4/02 11:44:45 pm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 5:33 am 
Willow's calm approach to the situation was so unlike her, but the reason for it makes perfect sense. Lovely insight into the connection she feels with Michelle, and the sense of peace it brings her.

Good that they've decided to try to act normally for Emily's sake. Willow was right that she would think she was being punished had they kept her from school.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 5:49 am 
Thanks for the update, I'd forgotten how fantastic this story is, yanno long pause between posts and all.

Since the two previous replies summed up my feeling quite nicely I won't mirror them. I'll just thank you for continuing this story and also for touching on details of intimacy that are rarely expressed about women who nurse their children.

Short frequent posts....I'd enjoy that very much.

Urn of Osiris
__________________**

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 6:30 am 
Yet another update, so full of expressions about life and it's most intimate moments.

Willow's maternal thoughts, so loving and introspective.

Their views regarding their child, excellent. Just because she is a child, doesn't mean she doesn't deserve to have input.

BV

"In front of total strangers won't you kiss me, Flowers for no reason but you miss me - OOH, I wanna be in love"

Melissa Etheridge-Skin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 10:07 am 
great update :)

i liked it when Willow spoke up about how Emily was probably able to hear everything that they were talking about and blaming herself for what happened, and that Emily should be invovled in the process of deciding what to do.

the chicken comment and the comment about the Catholic school were funny

Dude, we're surrounded by perverts!
No! Well, okay. No. Pez!
I don't know, it's like my brain keeps... jacking off

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 3:11 pm 
Just one thing to say right now:

You are making me want to have a baby.

"And I'm eating this banana. Lunchtime be damned!" -- Willow in "Doppelgangland

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:59 pm 

Greetings DW,

Just thought I would stop in long enough to add my praise for this wonderful story. I loved the interaction between Joseph and Emily...hugs are capable of soothing most anything.:)

Also, I would like to add my encouragement for lots of frequent mini-posts instead of risking losing the mega-post again and causing you undue stress. Like life isn't stressful enough already.

Finally, I hope you're actually getting some sleep because this flu bug is a bitch to kick without taking good care of yourself...I should know.

I look forward to the next update...it'll give you something to do at lunchtime.;)

-E

Post subject: replies...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 10:58 pm 
Unionjill30 – LOL. Thanks for posting, and then coming back and posting some more. I have to say that I was concerned about accidentally offending folks with the catholic comments… I’m glad you liked them. I’ll have to remember the “go to purgatory” thing. Methinks I will have occasion to use it regularly. :devil

Puff – Actually, it was the disk that I was saving things to that got corrupted… if I had actually stopped and transferred everything to my hard drive… I probably wouldn’t be in this mess of rewriting everything. It is somewhat conciliatory to know, however, that so I like the rewrite better than the original stuff I put down. Weird.

VN12 – I really wanted to show how despite her initial panic with regards to having Michelle, Willow has really settled into her role comfortably. As to the questions you listed in your second paragraph, they will be answered… at some point. :grin And as for Buffy’s Freudian slip… well, things were just getting to darn serious. I just had to throw in some sort of levity.

Mollyig – Normalcy, I’ve found, is very important to children. They depend on the regularity of routine in their everyday lives. They depend on their parents to establish it and their friends to support it. It’s sort of an invisible safety net. Especially for Emily, who has grown in a house where one of her mothers is almost obsessive about routine and order and maintaining that order now is even more important to her [Emily].

Urn of Osiris – Thanks so much. Glad to know that you are enjoying the fic. Yup, the idea of short frequent posts seems to be a popular one, so I’m sticking to that.

Barnabasvamp –
Quote:
Just because she is a child, doesn't mean she doesn't deserve to have input.
Exactly! Children are people too! Absolutely.

Grimaldi – Willow knew that Emily would be blaming herself because Willow knew that if it had been her she would have been blaming herself too. The apple does not fall far from the tree.

Tulipp – Well, to that I say: If you are old enough (like over 25 , IMO) and mature enough, and can afford it financially (for the loooong term) and your lifestyle is open to it… I say… go for it.

Always E – Hey E, just what would you know about what I do on my lunchtime? Oh, that’s right… you would know, wouldn’t you. <>

Till next update....

Cheers

DW

"Promise me you'll never be linear." "On my trout."

Edited by: DarkWiccan at: 12/5/02 9:10:24 pm

Post subject: Re: replies...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 1:35 am 
DarkWiccan: Great update, I loved how Willow knew exactly that all the arguing would be upsetting Emily, she and Tara are GREAT parents. And I'm glad that they are going to try to give Emily more normalcy, she really needs now at a time like this. Buffy's chicken breat slip thing was really funny, but we all know that is true. I can't wait to read more.

Lonewolf

Post subject: S'more...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 9:46 pm 
Lonewolf22 -- Thanks for your comments, and as for wanting more... wish granted!!

Here we go!...

Emily sat in the warm bath with her knees bent up to her chest while Willow gently scrubbed her back with a soft, soapy washcloth. The girl had been quiet after leaving Xander’s house, even falling asleep during the car-ride home, having exhausted herself with crying and worry. They had thought about just carrying her into bed for the night, but Willow and Tara both agreed that she shouldn’t go to bed on an empty stomach. So now Willow was helping Emily with her bath as Buffy accompanied Tara who was busy making dinner in the kitchen.

“After this”, said Willow, “you can have some dinner and when you’re finished with that you can brush your teeth and go to bed, okay?” Emily only nodded mutely. “Are you sure?” Willow asked, raising her eyebrows in concern. Emily shook her head. “What would you rather do?” she pried. Emily just shrugged her shoulders.

Willow hated it when her daughter went nonverbal. It was so unlike her and therefore always served as evidence that she was deeply upset about something, and in this case Willow had a pretty good idea what that “something” was.

“You want to, maybe, play a game after dinner?” she offered.

Emily looked up at her Mama, her eyes brightening just a little bit. Willow felt herself start to relax a little at the welcome change.

“Would you like to play a game of chess?” Emily shook her head. “Monopoly?” No. “Candyland?” No, again. “Trivial Pursuit?” And once more, no. “Well, Emily, help me out a little bit here”, said Willow, “what would you like to play?”

“Cards”, came the small reply.

“Cards”, Willow repeated. “You mean like ‘Go Fish’?”

“No”, answered Emily, “the game that Godmommy taught me.”

“The game that…”, Willow started, trying to remember what card game Emily was referring to. Then it came to her. “Uh, sweetie, I don’t think that Mommy would approve if she saw her eight year old daughter playing five card stud.”

“Yes she would”, Emily countered, suddenly gaining some energy, “We’ve played before.”

“You and Mommy have played poker?” the older redhead asked, slightly alarmed.

“Yeah, only it’s not as much fun as playing with Godmommy”, Emily explained.

“Why is that?”

“Mommy won’t let me bet loose change.” The little girl grumbled.

It took all of Willow’s willpower not to let out the large guffaw that had threatened to erupt at the unintentional hilariousness of her daughter’s statement.

“Okay”, said Willow, “you can ask her if it’s okay for you to play cards after dinner. Maybe she’ll want to play too. We can play for points instead of change, alright?”

“Okay”, Emily agreed, though it was clear she didn’t cotton too much to the idea of playing for points.

“Good”, her Mama stated, “Now turn your head so I can clean behind your other ear.”

“Dinner looks great, Tara”, complimented Buffy as she helped to finish laying out the utensils on the dining room table.

“Thanks, Buffy”, she replied, bringing out a large dish filled with steamed vegetables and setting it on the table. “I just didn’t feel like pizza tonight. What did you want to drink?”

“Don’t worry about it, I’ll get it”, said the slayer. “And I know what you mean about not wanting pizza. I’m mean, it’s Tuesday, isn’t pizza more of a Friday thing?”

“I guess”, Tara conceded.

Buffy decided to switch gears a little, “Are you going to let Emily go to school tomorrow?”

Tara paused, halfway out of the kitchen, her hands full with a plate of baked chicken. “I don’t know. Willow and I really haven’t discussed it yet. We’ll probably keep her out of school tomorrow, just so we have a little more time to figure out what we’re doing.”

“What about…I mean, I know it might be difficult to get past the whole religion thing… but”, Buffy wasn’t quite sure if she was phrasing things right. “I mean, private school didn’t sound like too bad an idea. With it being, private, and everything.”

“Buffy, believe me, it has nothing to do with the school being Catholic”, Tara assured her. “It would depend on what their rules are for admitting students. If they have certain… policies… that would prevent the child of a same sex couple from attending, I don’t think that either Willow or myself would be willing or able to ‘go back in the closet’ so to speak with our family life. We’re far too involved in keeping up with Emily’s education, and we like being that way. Plus, money is also an issue.”

“But then why don’t… I mean”, Buffy always feared offending Tara. Deep down the slayer sort of felt that Willow’s wife was a little too… wifely. At times when she visited Willow and Tara’s home, she would feel like she had walked into a lesbian version of “Leave It To Beaver”, of course, now that she thought about it, the sitcom title did seem strangely appropriate.

While Buffy had never thought of herself as a champion feminist, at least she had a job…sort of. Slaying had never really paid the bills, until three years back when Giles had finally been able to convince the council to start paying her a modest salary. It had been quite a struggle, but Giles had finally made the council see that with an older, more successful slayer who is no longer reliant on her family to support her financially there comes a necessity for compensating the slayer for her efforts.

”It’s just that…”, Buffy continued to struggle for words, “Tara, do you know that as long as I have known you… you’ve never…uh…”

“Had a real job?” Tara offered.

“Right”, the slayer exhaled as she blushed deep red.

Tara chuckled a little bit. “Buffy, you don’t have to worry about offending me. What are friends for if not being able to tell someone what you really think?”

“I just didn’t want you to think that I didn’t think you were pulling your weight or anything…”

“I know that’s not what you mean, Buffy”, Tara guaranteed her. “It's not like I had planned on being a housewife”, she explained, “but Willow and I have just settled into our own roles in our relationship. I had planned on working when Willow and I had finished college, back after we had finally gotten engaged, I mean, other than helping out at the Magic Box. But somehow, time just got away, and next thing I know we're married and I’m pregnant with Emily. I had always known that if I ever had kids I would want to stay home with them until they were old enough to go to school, and I had started looking into getting a job after Emily began first grade. But we were doing just fine on the one income and then Willow started working at home full time; it was nice having the place to ourselves for most of the day. We enjoyed the freedom. And now that Michelle has come along, it's sort of back to square one. Willow is still making enough that we can live comfortably and my not working hasn't ever been an issue. I know that Willow would never try to stop me from working if I really wanted to, or even if I had to, I wouldn't balk at the idea.”

“I’m not suggesting that you would”, Buffy clarified.

“I’m not saying that you're suggesting it”, Tara smiled, “Willow and I have a routine and it's functional and we like it. That’s all.”

“I get it”, Buffy smiled back.

Willow entered the dining room carrying Emily on her hip. “Wow, something smells good”, she said, walking over to

Tara and kissing her lightly on the lips. “Thanks for cooking, baby”, she said softly.

“You’re welcome, darling”, Tara replied. She looked up into her daughter’s sweet face as she still clung to Willow’s side, “How are you doing, sweetie?”

“Better now”, Emily admitted. “You didn’t make the drinks yet, did you?”

“Buffy got hers on her own, but the rest of us still need them”, Tara replied as Willow set Emily down. “I set three glasses out on the counter for you to fill.”

“What would you like to drink, Mommy?” Emily asked, eager to play her part in dinnertime.

“I think I’d like some of the iced tea from the fridge”, she answered.

“Mama?”

“Milk please”, Willow smiled.

“Coming right up!” she said and zipped into the kitchen.

“Slow down and carry them one at a time to the table!” Tara called after her.

Buffy laughed quietly to herself thinking, If this scene were anymore idyllic, they’d have to film it in black and white and sell it to Nick at Nite.

Dinner was pleasant, and after everyone had helped with the clean-up, and Tara had checked to make sure Michelle was still sleeping quietly in her crib, they had all retired to the living room to play a round or two of cards. Willow gave Buffy a particularly pointed look when she saw her friend start to dig into her pocket for spare change when it was announced they would be playing poker.

“Points”, she had said to Buffy, “We play for points.”

“Points?” Buffy questioned initially, then realization dawned on her, “OH. Points. Right. Of course, points is the only way to play. The only and, might I add, correct way to play. I mean, playing for money is just silly and wrong, very, very wrong…”

“Buffy”, Tara laughed, “It’s okay. Let’s just play.”

It turned out that Emily was quite the little card shark. If they had been playing for money, all of them would have been very poor, except for Emily who would have had been able to start a small college fund from her winnings.

“Okay”, Willow announced, “it’s nine ’o’ clock. All little girls named Emily should be in bed.”

“Do I have to?” Emily protested.

“Do I even have to answer that question?” Willow replied.

Emily shook her head, “No.” She got up from the coffee table and started out of the room.

“Brush your teeth first”, reminded Tara.

“I know”, her little girl said, pausing a moment at the hall. “Am I going to school tomorrow?”

Willow and Tara shared a quick glance, the blonde looking back at her, “We’re not sure yet. We’ll let you know in the morning, alright?”

Emily nodded sullenly.

“Baby-girl”, said Willow, “You are not in any kind of trouble and if we were to keep you out of school it wouldn’t be to punish you. We just need you to be safe.”

“I know”, she said again. “Goodnight Godmommy”, Emily waved.

“Night, munchkin. I’ll see you in the morning.”

“Night, Mommy, Mama, I love you.”

“We love you too”, answered Tara, “Good night, sweetie.”

Emily gave one final wave and disappeared down the hall.

“Mommy”, Emily whispered, nudging softly at her sleeping mother’s shoulder. “Mommy?” she quietly said again.

Tara opened her eyes to see her daughter standing next to the bed. “Emily?” she said sleepily, glancing at the digital clock on her bedside table. “Emily, it’s three-thirty in the morning. Are you okay? What’s wrong?”

“I have to go.”

Tara slumped back into her pillow, “Sweetie, you are old enough to use the bathroom by yourself.”

“No, not that.” Emily answered. “I have to go.”

“Go… I don’t understand”, Tara stated, sleep still fogging her brain.

Emily looked her mother directly in the eye and said in total seriousness:

“I have to go to Avalon. I have to go now.”

TBC...

Edited by: DarkWiccan at: 12/7/02 12:05:59 am

Post subject: Re: S'more...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 11:56 pm 
oh my Really?

Oh so many things I just adore about this update. Domestic bliss. I love seeing life's most simple moments. The bath and the dinner and the contentment with each role. Just a wonderful family portrait. I think I could read them weeding the garden and it would make me sigh.

:eyebrow Monopoly....for some reason I just had to :lol oh the board game possibilities.

Thank you DW! for such fantastic fic.

Urn of Osiris
__________________**

Post subject: Priceless
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 11:59 pm 
Hey DW :) Wonderful fic! You're killing me with this cliffhanger though! BTW, the "Leave It To Beaver" joke? Super funny. I really enjoy your characterization as well, especially of Buffy. The "spare change" poker games, "blowing this joint"? All wonderful- I'd love to see SMG work with some of your material :) Take care.

Post subject: Re: S'more...
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 1:50 am 
DW, I feel so "spoiled" (in a good way) with all these frequent updates, I like :) ! One of the things I love most about the story is the way you portray W&T's "family unit". As Urn of Osiris commented, I too greatly enjoy seeing them interact during the "simple moments". Here in it's simplicity, such as Willow giving Emily a bath (ie. trying to open communication with her daughter/ease some of her worry), Tara preparing dinner with Buffy's observation that W&T are the "lesbian version of Leave It To Beaver", and etc., one can easily see the depth of love they hold for each other, the strength of their connection (really in these moments you make their feelings so palpable to me).

Loved the image of Emily as a "card shark", and I can so see her favoring playing for "change" rather than "points". And leaving the story with the cliffhanger of Emily saying, ("I have to go to Avalon. I have to go now.") was truly "evil" ;) . I assume Emily is referring to the fact it's time for her to "raise the mists", and I can't wait to see the implications (as well as W&T's reactions) to this announcement.

Post subject: Re: Priceless
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 2:15 am 
DarkWiccan: Great update, like I always say I LOVE the familyness of Willow and Tara its just so sweet and touching. I really liked the talk that Tara and Buffy had, it was really nice and sweet. I also liked Emily being a card shark, I thought that was really cute, an 8 year-old little girl beating three adults at cards, so cute. I really hope that Emily knows what she is doing. I can't wait to read more.

Lonewolf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 4:09 am 
Now that's what I call a cliffhanger for the weekend!"

Hurry up wiith an update!

Stef :p

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 8:21 am 
three-thirty in the morning???

that's cruel... three-thirty....OMG

great update, as usual..but how could you let uns hang here???

Insanity

"Nobody messes with my girl!" Tara, Bargaining

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 10:23 am 
Aw poor little Emily, tiring herself out worrying, and then being so quiet. I think that just engaging in routine probably calmed her somewhat.

Interested in finding out what has spurred her to announce she has to go to Avalon.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 10:53 am 
That was wonderful DW and what a huge cliffhanger, I half expected some dum dum dah music to accompany it :) I have too say I love tha family unit as well, I'm with Urn on thinking that I could read about Willow and Tara just doing menial things like weeding and still sigh. I wonder how the family unit will react however if Emily really does have to go to Avalon? Probably not good :(

I could crap a better existence than this.
My view on season severed.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 11:15 am 
Emily's going to Avalon...now...GULP!

Lovin' the mini-updates...keep them coming.

Also gotta add that I really enjoy seeing the everyday interaction of family that Willow and Tara share in your story...just great.

-E

Edited by: Always E at: 12/7/02 9:16:17 am

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 12:58 pm 
Hey there DW, I've just caught up with your mini-resurgence and I just wanted to say how happy and grateful I am that you're back in posting mode. I love the family you've created for Willow and Tara and the story is just so intriguing.

Looking forward to more,

Sonya

p.s. well done on finding something else that can slow Willow's brain down by the way. Although if it was Michelle or Tara suckling it would probably have the same effect!

Post subject: Replies
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 4:20 pm 
Urn of Osiris – I felt that it was important that I show one final example of the stability of their home life before getting into the “home-stretch” of the plotline of the story. I’m glad you enjoyed it and now I’d advise that you buckle-up.. things are about to get very interesting, very fast!

Thrilledbymaclay – Thanks. I wanted to lighten Buffy up a little bit. She’s not “oblivious Buffy”, but she’s not “depressed Buffy” either. In this little world that I have put together, Buffy really has something to live for. She has friends who support her and love her, she has a goddaughter who thinks she hung the moon, and most importantly, she herself is more aware of her friends and how they need her to support them as well. It’s the Buffy that I feel she always should have and could have been.

VN12 – I had originally thought of Buffy comparing W/T to the “Dick Van Dyke Show”, then having her mentally change the title to “The Dick DYKE Dyke Show”, but I felt that that would have been a little too heavy handed. I’m glad I changed my mind. “Leave To Beaver” turned out to be just as funny, but a lot softer in it’s approach. Glad you liked it.

Lonewolf22 – I wrote the Buffy/Tara scene b/c I needed the question of why Tara was a stay at home mom answered for myself. And if I need that sort of a question answered, then it is a pretty good bet that my audience is wondering the same thing too.

Deixs – I’m working on the next update right now… :)

Insanity – Well, it seemed like a good time of the morning to have something big happen… so.. there it was.

Mollyig – Absolutely the return to routine was paramount in calming Emily down. I totally agree. As for your question about her announcement, the answer willl present itself shortly.

Puff—It’s funny you should mention “dum dum dah” music… b/c that is exactly what I heard playing in my head as I was writing that scene. LOL

Always E – Glad you’re liking the story! :grin

Samiamiguess – yes I am back and in full posting mode :grin . It is good to be back and back to this story… it’s like coming home to an old friend. Hope you continue to enjoy!

Cheers

DW

Post subject: Re: Replies
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 10:41 pm 
DW,

As usual, I love the family's great moments. I can't wait to see how they handle Emily going to Avalon.

Tara: My heart doesn't stutter.

Tara: Willow, I got so lost.

Willow: I found you. I will always find you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next