The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for history lesson
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 12:59 pm 
We are home-schooling our teen. I would like to inclued a section on gays through out history.

I can only think of Loenardo, oscar wild, fitzgarold I think willa cather too.

What I plan on doing right now would be to not say "and now for gay history. "Just have look at certain people through out history who happen to be gay.

I hope that came out right.

Mrs. Capt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 2:03 pm 
This can sometimes be a murky topic, since changing definitions of and attitudes towards sexuality throughout history can make exactly what "gay" means historically confusing, and also sometimes make it difficult to separate fact from fiction. Be it as that may, famous historical figures who are either reputed to be or known to be gay or bi include:

Michelangelo
Gertrude Stein
Alice B. Toklas
Oscar Wilde
Alfred, Lord Douglas
A. E. Houseman
Emily Dickinson
Walt Whitman
Joe Orton
Jean Genet
Peter Tchaicovksky
Queen Christina of Sweden
King Edward II of England
King Richard II of England
Roy Cohn
J. Edgar Hoover
Pope Julius II
Lizzie Borden
Socrates
Alcibaides
Sappho
Julius Ceasar
William Shakespeare
Alan Turing

. . . that's all I can think of off the top of my head. Sorry it's a little heavy on the writers, but that's my field of interest.

Obviously, there are hundreds more - heck, in some periods of history, it's harder to find historical figures who *weren't* gay to some degree or another. I'd imagine it's pretty easy to find more with a little research.

--- KR

[This message has been edited by kyraroc (edited March 29, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by kyraroc (edited March 29, 2002).]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 2:19 pm 
Well, I suggest you do a little research. There are a lot of great resources.

GLSEN (Gay, Lesbian Straight Education Network) has a whole page full of links about GLBT curricula. Check it out HERE.

“Out of the Past” is a great documentary. PBS aired it a few years ago and it’s available online. It chronicles 400 years of GLBT history in America. Worth viewing. Check it out HERE.

And believe it or not I found a site for the still in development International Museum of Gay and Lesbian History. Not too much there but a good links page. Check it out HERE.

------------------
Well, now that came out a lot more lesbian than it sounded in my head.

[This message has been edited by imperfectly (edited March 29, 2002).]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 3:08 pm 
An excellent list, but I would like to add a few details:

Julius Caesar was almost certainly bisexual. In fact, the great poet Catullus even calls him "every woman's husband and every man's wife" in one his famous "anti-Caesar" poems .

William Shakespeare--we really don't know enough about him to say what he was (sexually speaking ) with any certainty. In fact, there is still quite a bit of controversy among scholars over the actual identity of the author we all know and love!

Composers--perhaps you might want to add Benjamin Britten (a long, committed relationship with the tenor, Peter Pears) and Chopin, who most scholars believe was bisexual .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 3:24 pm 
Don't forget Issac Newton. Not only did he change the way the world was looked at and measured, he had to invent a new math to do it, calculus.

And by all accounts he was a real pissy indivdual.

I once collected "gossip" like this on major figures in science, I was calling it "Scientifica Babylon".

I know things about Piaget they never would have taught you in college.
Well, I would have taught you, and I did to my ed. psych students!

Warlock.

------------------
Web Warlock
web.warlock@attbi.com webwarlock@planetadnd.com
Author, the Netbooks of Witches and Warlocks
The Other Side: http://www.xtreme-gaming.com/theotherside/
My Willow&Tara Pages: http://www.xtreme-gaming.com/theotherside/willtara.php
Shadow Earth Games: http://www.rpghost.com/WebWarlock/
--
I'm ahead of my time. But only by a week.
- Too Much Joy, "I Don't Know"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 3:31 pm 
speaking from a teen perspective, (i'm 16) before i started doing home schooling, i found whenever the subject of gays was brought up in school the other kids seemed to join in with a lot of interest. thankx to people like Rosie O'Donnell and others before her her, gay life isn't looked upon like it use to be. this is a great ideal and tho i'm not much into history i think you'll find a lot more kids interested in this then they would be in regular history. great ideal and good luck

------------------
Willow: I still can't believe you didn't tell me about your family and all that.
Tara: I was just afraid if you saw the kind of people I came from, you wouldn't want to be near me.
Willow: See, that's where you're a dummy. I think about what you grew up with and then I look at what you are... it makes me proud... it makes me love you more.
Tara: Everytime I... even at my worst, you always make me feel special. How do you do that?
Willow: Magic!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 3:49 pm 
Yep, attitudes towards male homosexuality have changed a great deal in the past few hundred years - in the time of Shakespeare, Leonardo, ancient Rome and ancient Greece, is was considered normal (if not exactly 'proper') for men to have sex with boys and other men. In ancient Greece, bisexuality was the norm and both hetrosexuality and homosexuality were considered unusual. But, predictably, that was only for men.

Anyone interested in the idea that Shakespeare and Kit Marlowe were gay might want to read 'Dead Man in Depford' by Anthony Burgess, which is about the life and loves of Marlowe, and is an interesting mix of fact, rumour and fiction.

[This message has been edited by Under Her Spell (edited March 29, 2002).]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 10:09 pm 
My favorite conquerer:

Alexander the Great

------------------
Sugarloaf
Willow and Tara forever

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 10:28 pm 
Maybe some of the Germans on the board, or someone more knowledgeable on German history can help me out, but Friederich der Grosse (Frederick the Great) was supposedly gay. If what I remember from German classes is correct, he barely even spoke to his wife ever. He had a country manor (Sans Soucci outside of Berlin) that she wasn't allowed to go to.

------------------
~La

"No good sittin' worryin' abou' it. What's comin' will
come, an' we'll meet it when it does."
~Hagrid, from "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire".