The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It's Reasons to Skip Football Weekend, MKF 10/5-10/6
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 12:40 pm 
Sports...

I'm a deeply [i:4eb7de66c7] non[/i:4eb7de66c7]-sports-minded person. But, if pressed, I'd much rather play than watch other people playing.

That said, though, I'll confess I once got sucked into a boxing match. I'm ashamed of it, because I'm [i:4eb7de66c7] sooooooo[/i:4eb7de66c7] opposed to boxing. But I can appreciate the appeal. It was dramatic. It was brutal and horrifying and senseless. I felt like a Neanderthal. But I was totally captivated. :shy

I do understand the appeal of sports, I really do. I just have little interest in it myself.

Now, how I get out of doing things I don't want to? It depends entirely on the circumstances. And, also, how likely I am to be caught in a lie. If the phone rings, it's easy to say, "Tell whoever it is I'm not home." But if someone's standing right in front of me? Ah...crap...it's hard to say no, you know? So I usually just end up doing whatever it is.

There [i:4eb7de66c7] are[/i:4eb7de66c7] a handful of people, however, upon whom I love to practice my no-saying skills. Lucky folks, they are. ;)

Who wants some girls with glasses? Alas, no Amber, but hey.

Sometimes, I really miss being a kid. This helps.

Hope everyone has a fantastic weekend.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 12:53 pm 
Hey Jaycatt23,

May 2003, Champions League final, Old Trafford. I hope to see you there. Keep it quiet this time:)

Ann-Marie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 1:11 pm 
Ann-Marie

I fear it isn't going to happen - we're playing (in the CL) to well, and we'll crash out next round to a bunch of jokers.

(I reckon, if I'm pessimistic, then I can't be disappointed) (Cos if Veron can score, the world's turned silly)

No, I'll cast all doubt aside, and timidly declare, we might win something this year. Or if we don't, at least we've got to finish above city.

J

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 1:51 pm 
Well, pretty brutal day for sports here in the Bay Area. The A's and Giants both lost by rather large scores (11 to 2 and 10 to 2.) Hopefully tomorrow will be better- both teams have potentially series-ending (and therefore playoff-ending) games tomorrow, plus the Niners are playing the Rams. Should be interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 2:10 pm 
Greetings Everyone,
Well, its over for my Yankees. The Angels just won 9-5. As a Yankee fan all of my life, I take my hat of to the Angels. They played a great series and deserve to advance. I now hope that the Giants win and the celebration continues in California. So Rally, I'm behind you now. I know claiming to be a Yankee fan on this board compares to some people as loving Xander. But coming from the NY area I can honestly say that I am not a Giants or Jets fan. So that should account for something.

Love to All,
Barb

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 3:18 pm 
Well I am just happy I don't have to hear anymore this year how great the Yankees are from my friends. I being a Mariners fan had heard enough ribbing about my team not making the playoffs, that I have to admit to having an :evil thrill at them losing to the Angels (no offence to Yankee fans out there).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 3:56 pm 
justastraightdog: I'm with you on the hating-bayern-munich-thing. I just can't stand them!
I'm a HUGE ManU Fan. During the final 1999 I was on the phone with a friend (who was rooting for munich). she was teasing me the whole time that ManU wouldn't score and then they shot their first goal and 2 minutes later the second. I was in my own happy place back then! My friend just said they got lucky.

jaycatt23: The songs will be subtitled but the dialogue will be dubbed. I wrote an e-mail to the station where they're showing it.

:love & :peace
Diane

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 4:46 pm 
Although I am not a huge fan of pro sports...I love watching college sports. They put it all out there on the line...not for a payday...but for pride. I find that to be more fun to watch. I have an exam in my business class on Monday, so the only television I have allowed myself to watch this weekend was the Oklahoma vs Missouri game. I just keep thinking there is only one more week until the biggest game of the year for any Sooner fan...OU/TX. I wish I could have made the trek to Dallas for it...but none of you really care anyway. lol

Back to studying.

Katie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 5:44 pm 
Well as I'm just getting home from a great day at the Big Ed were I watched the Angels pound the Yankees, ending the series, woo hoo. Didn't see any cute girls, got a nice sunburn on my face and drank lots of beer, so good day. As for the question, what would it take to pry myself from the big, nothing in this life or the next basically is the answer. Eat, drink, live sports especially Red Wing hockey. Nothing can tear me away frrom watching their games. As for our girls have to agree with willlowlicious, they would definetly have a picture of Steve Yzerman holding the Stanley Cup.
LET'S GO RED WINGS
Go Angels
Lakers back for four
Sparks threepeat
The door is closed, the lights are out, the butters getting hard, the eggs are cooling and the jello is jiggling-god I'm going to miss Chicky baby come basketball season

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 9:44 pm 
I'm not sure if you all heard this already, but U.S. Representative Patsy Takemoto Mink (D-HI) passed away last week Saturday of viral pneumonia. I watched her memorial service yesterday at the State Capitol and so many people showed up from all over the islands and a few from D.C. too. Rep. Mink was a real champion for women's rights, public education, the poor, and disadvantaged. She was the first Asian American woman lawyer in Hawaii and the first woman of color elected to Congress.

How does this relate to sports? Well, Mink was a primary force behind the landmark Title IX legislation in 1972 which prohibits discrimination against girls and women in federally-funded education, including athletics programs. Title IX is the reason why girls and women have made such gains in education and particularly in sports. She was a great woman and I will miss her.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 3:48 am 
Being the complete non-football fan I am in a town fueled by large, testosterone pumped guys ramming into each other, I have a loooooooong list of excuses. Fortunately the most common excuse is really almost the truth:
I don't get the game. I don't understand the rules, and I really don't know the teams. Someone was trying to get me to name where teams were from the other day... I couldn't even get the sport right half the time, much less the location.

My general response to football has always been - "But wait, the person on the team we were cheering for just got smashed into the ground like a bag of dirty laundry. Why is everyone cheering?" Other than this I've used the 'I have a soccer game/practice tonight, or the REALLY pathetic 'I really don't like big crowds.' On the other hand, give me a good soccer game any day. Simple, graceful, and just as rough - but with less padding.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 4:14 am 
My son plays PeeWee football. He has a game this afternoon. Now the only football I watch is Notre Dame. They are my boys. But to watch a PeeWee football game is actually pretty fun. The coaches are on the field with the kids and where ever the ball is after the snap, there are 22 little boys. Its almost comical to watch. But they are undefeated so far 4-0. My son is really pretty good. He plays defense and caught an interception once. I thank God that he got his athletic ability from my side of the family. His fathers big athletic claim to fame is "I was a center in high school and I had an unfortunate accident which ended my career." His mother told me that the unfortunate accident was that he was walking out to the field for practice and tripped over someones helmet and broke his ankle. I may not get along with my ex that much but God I loved his mother.
So I'm off to watch the game now so I'll leave with...GO WOLFPACK!!! GO KYLE #50!!! I'm such a proud mom.

Love to All,
Barb

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 5:40 am 
LeBuffster: thanks for the OMWF info - but its going to make it a very very odd tv event. Never mind, eh?

J

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 6:46 am 
Personally I don't get into football, I am however a huge Rugby fan. Go Bulldogs!! However, if I need an excuse I say I can't go because I would just be bored and bitchy and I'd have to take you down with me. Generally that works but most of the time I just say no.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 7:37 am 
the only thing that would keep me from going to the big game is lack of funds(damn tickets cost to much these days).

really happy that the Angels won, Go Angels :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 8:05 am 
I'm a bad, bad woman. I actually left work early today so I could see the Old Firm match. And thank the Lord for my slacker ways! A six goal match is not that common for this tie. The only thing that would stop me going to or seeing the match would be if I had to work. If I don't show up some other poor soul has to drag themselves in to work in my place.

Will and Tara I think given their appauling track record for lying should just plan ahead and come up with legitimate excuses for things they want to avoid. Or fake laryngitis and e-mail in their excuses. I think you could only use that one once though.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 8:11 am 
BytrSuite said:
[quote:9d3709639d][b:9d3709639d][i:9d3709639d]Quote:[/i:9d3709639d][/b:9d3709639d]
Well...she was not in her right mind at the time, you know, having been brain-sucked by Glory and all. That might explain it.
[/quote:9d3709639d]

Tsk. Tsk. Are you forgetting that Tara was *always* a big advocate and defender of "horsies"? And the fact that Glory could not completely strip her memories of this passion for "horsies" bears a striking similarity to Glory's inability to remove her profound connection with Willow? Some things not even a hellgod can touch....:heart

"HORSIES!!"

Mrs. Vertigo said:
[quote:9d3709639d][b:9d3709639d][i:9d3709639d]Quote:[/i:9d3709639d][/b:9d3709639d]
...and also in relation to the Broncos: "It's poisoned, anyone can tell you that...", "they kill mice!", and "BITCH!"
[/quote:9d3709639d]

Ahhh. And by "poisoned", "mice" and "BITCH!", you are referring of course to certain extremly bitter and much anticipated inter-division rivalries? Absolutely. :grin

GO BRONCOS!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 8:38 am 
Hee, yes, but the first time she mentioned horsies she implied that they were gentle creatures who didn't like arm very much.

So, following that line of thought, horsies are big wimps.

:lol
Ah, I'm just kidding. I know nothing about whatever sport it is we're talking about.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 9:24 am 
Well, it's polo isn't it? What you're talking about? I mean, that's what lovely Prince Charlie and the darling boys play on horsies ;)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 10:58 am 
jaycatt23: It's definitely going to be odd. I'm not going to watch it anyway. well, perhaps OMWF, but not the rest. there's no need to watch season sux twice, dontcha think?

:love & :peace
Diane

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:27 am 
Well, I'm not really a big fan of american football. I think it's because I was a cheerleader my freshman and sophomore years of high school (you can stop laughing now) and was forced to watch every single freshman and sophomore football game. not too much fun.

i like to go to baseball games, and I will watch them on TV, if it's on. But I prefer going to the ballpark, specifically wrigley field, to watch the Cubs.

I like to watch golf. My dad and I used to spend Saturdays watching golf together, and he taught me a lot about it. When we lived in Florida, he used to take me and/or my brother to see big important people play. And my brother almost got eaten by an alligator once. Really.

[quote:8723b5d347][b:8723b5d347][i:8723b5d347]Quote:[/i:8723b5d347][/b:8723b5d347]
maudmac said:
[b:8723b5d347] That said, though, I'll confess I once got sucked into a boxing match. I'm ashamed of it, because I'm sooooooo opposed to boxing. But I can appreciate the appeal. It was dramatic. It was brutal and horrifying and senseless. I felt like a Neanderthal. But I was totally captivated.[/b:8723b5d347]
[/quote:8723b5d347]
Yeah, I got sucked into a boxing match a couple weekends ago at my cousin's house. I didn't like it at first, but then I really got into it. Kinda scary :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:50 am 
Hi [b:92c0fa5bff] MAISEY12[/b:92c0fa5bff], sorry for the late answer...

[b:92c0fa5bff] What team do you follow in Germany?[/b:92c0fa5bff]

Actually I'm a somewhat unusual football fan - I don't follow a particular team. I like those best, who play the most attractive football. My all-time favorites are: Germany '72 (because of the historical 3-1 at Wembley), Oranjes '74 (that's a shocker...guess I have to emigrate now;) ) and for a club team it's AC Milan '89 (with Gullit, Van Basten and Rijkaard - the fine art of football, celebrated in Barcelona against Steaua Bukarest). And I have to admit that I have a favorite country whenever it comes to the world cup: ORDEM e PROGRESSO.

In Germany I liked Gladbach in the 70s, the HSV in the 80s(what's [i:92c0fa5bff] Bananenflanke[/i:92c0fa5bff] in English?) and King Otto's Fischkppe. Unfortunately the most likeable clubs aren't in the Bundeslike right now (Freiburg, St. Pauli), therefore I'm basically always with those, who can competite with Bayern. :)

Well, enough about football - back to the show we don't talk about anymore: I already watched season sux (blame the net). I think OMWF is a mediocre BtVS episode, outstanding only in the context of season sux. But I won't watch it again anyway - I can't stand to watch [i:92c0fa5bff] anything[/i:92c0fa5bff] BtVS up to and including Villains. And beginning with TTG, there's no reason left for me to watch the show anymore. Guess that makes me an ex-fan (but not in the ex-parrot sense, hopefully). The only thing about BtVS I'm still interested in are the ratings... (well, actually that's not true, but everything else is related to S7 board topics).

[b:92c0fa5bff] LeBuffster[/b:92c0fa5bff] thanks for the info, read the Pro7 website and thought they show the complete episode OmU (subtitled). But even if it's "only" the songs... they are still high above the core-fanbase ratings here in Germany, guess the week following the musical will show them how big (or small) that fanbase really is... :evil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 1:17 pm 
Awww, yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. The Horsies came through -- 26-9! :bounce Go Broncos Go! Deltha bounced back nicely after last week's blunder-fest and hey, how about that o-line? They allowed Portis to put up 102 yards and kept Griese's pants clean and white, just like we like 'em.

Course I had to settle for [i:4b108bf9d2] just listening[/i:4b108bf9d2] to the game b/c my stupid local affiliates forgot that the Chargers are actually the closest NFL team to LA and failed to air the game. So if any lucky kitties want to fill me in on what I missed . . .

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 1:24 pm 
This thread brings back a sweet memory.

Back in 1995, my grandma's alma mater, Birmingham-Southern College, made it to the NAIA basketball finals. She actually got a call from the college telling her about the game. So, since she didn't have cable, I set her up at my house with ESPN on, so that she could watch while I was at work.

BSC won the championship, and I think that made Grandma's entire year. And seven years later, I still check the fine print in the back of the sports section to see how they're doing.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 5:09 pm 
Personally I'm not a sports fan. I'm more into theatre but if I had to watch a sport it would have to be naked female mud wrestling. Yeah, that sounds like an entertaining sporting event. Other than that I'd say I'd make just about any possible excuse to get out of watching sports...

Spice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 7:27 am 
[i:77f3239520]Zippy runs into the weekend thread 18 hours late[/i:77f3239520]

Funny you should mention football, I went to see Arsenal play on Sunday, that was fun. Unbeaten all season, if we carry on playing like this, you never know!

[i:77f3239520]Zippy leaves the weekend thread looking very smug[/i:77f3239520]