The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Collected Short Fic by Jixer
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:30 pm 
5. Willowhand

The Witch Queen of Sunnydale And The Demon Bikers

Being a Sequel to The Witch Queen of Sunnydale

by Jixer

Spoilers: Kind of Season Sux

Distribution: Any free fanfic site as long as I am notified.

Disclaimer: The characters of BtVS and their surroundings are the property of Mutant Enemy, fat lot of good it did them. Always return the borrowed characters with a full tank of gas.

The patrol had gone about as planned. The five of them were getting about one vampire per coffee drink in the group. Buffy had dispatched three, Willow one with a somewhat overstated fireball, and one had tripped over Spike’s duster and impaled himself on the fragments of a pallet. Xander and Spike were arguing whether the killed counted when four vampires sprang a ragged ambush. Tara and Willow had fire spells ready but the words were never spoken. Buffy became a blur. Only Spike could see the Slayer ripping the heads off the vamps.

“That’s weird,” Buffy said as she nearly vibrated to a stop. “What brought that on?”

A fifth vampire leapt out at the Slayer clumsily. She turned and kicked at him but missed widely. The creature hit her once and Buffy crumpled to the ground. Willow and threw up her hands with a wordless cry of anger and anguish. The vampire burst into flame and became a pile of glowing ashes in the blink of an eye. Tara knelt beside Buffy and closed her eyes.

“Buffy!” Spike shouted as he tried to get past Tara to Buffy. “Let me at her!”

“Back!” Tara demanded and Spike took a step back before he realized it. “She’s alive, but weak.”

“Like she used up all her power at once?” Xander asked as he took off his jacket and handed it to the blonde witch.

“We need to talk to Giles,” Willow said as calmly as she could. “Let’s get her home.”

“We’re closer to our dorm,” Tara pointed out.

“Okay,” Willow said unhappily.

===========================================================

In the alley the sixth vampire strained to hear all the words as the little group helped the hated Slayer up. He missed the words the blonde witch had said but caught the others as they bracketed the unsteady Slayer and walked off.

He looked at the remains of the others in his pack and shrugged.

“I know somebody who will pay for this info,” he muttered happily.

“I’m fine,” Buffy said and winced as her mouth moved.

“Right,” Tara said dabbing gently the small girl’s split lip while Willow placed an ice pack on Buffy’s swelling eye and cheek.

“What happened?” Spike demanded again.

“I’m not sure,” Willow replied.

Miss Kitty came in and sat behind all the humans. She looked at the Slayer and sighed inwardly. For all their skill and ability sometimes her human witches missed the basics.

*Her aura,* Tara and Willow both believed they thought at the same time.

“Oh,” Tara said unhappily.

“Yikes,” Willow said softly. “Buffy, your aura’s pulsing and shifting like crazy.”

“I’m a Slayer,” Buffy said tightly trying not to move her mouth. “You said it’s weird before.”

“Not like this,” Tara said with concern.

*Just how long has she been a Slayer?* came to Xander’s mind.

“How long have you been the Slayer?” Xander asked.

“Six years,” Buffy answered.

“No other Slayer lasted past four years before,” Spike added with a hint of pride.

“Okay, that’s enough questions,” Tara insisted as Buffy trembled. “We’re going to call Giles and get her home. I’m staying with her tonight.”

We’re staying with her tonight,” Willow corrected.

After the humans had gone Miss Kitty Fantastico, as she was known to her humans, tucked her paws under her and began her memory song. Her purr was low and steady. She thought of Slayers. In the past they had occasionally come to the Hellmouth, wherever it was at the time. Almost always they had been driven children, rude and hurried for their time was not long. They were useful, much like ladybugs in a garden, keeping down the pests that gravitated to the nexus of evil. This one had at least been polite and had a sister who was a very polite and respectful bundle of energy. All things considered she thought fixing this one would be in her best interests.

Miss Kitty’s purr became louder.

As the night was ending the fugitive vampire finally arrived at a roadhouse off the beaten track. He passed the motley collection of motorcycles and took an unneeded deep breath before pushing the door open with what he thought was a move full of bravado. He strode into the room. A demon with scales and too many teeth frowned.

“No public restrooms,” the demon growled.

“I’m here to see your boss,” the vampire sneered.

“Bad idea,” another demon said behind him.

“Wait a minute!” the vampire pleaded. “You don’t have to avoid Sunnydale anymore!”

“Sunnydale?” the large demon asked in a perplexed voice. “Yo, Bob! What’s in Sunnydale?”

“The Hellmouth, a decent magic shop, and a slightly depressed local infrastructure,” a somewhat corpulent demon recited from the pinball machine. “Oh, and a Slayer. That’s about it.”

“A Slayer?” the chief demon grunted. “Could be a bit more specific? Dragon slayer? Demon slayer? Auditor Slayer?”

“A vampire Slayer!” the vampire growled.

“So who isn’t?” the demon asked as he ripped the vampire’s head off.

“She has killed some demons,” Bob said after draining his beer. “And a demigod from some hellish dimension ended up dead around her witches.”

“Well, it’s a diversion if not much of a challenge,” the chief demon shrugged. “We ride after sunset.”

Rupert Giles looked haggard as he searched through the not inconsiderable trove of Slayer lore at his disposal. He knew the search was in vain. No one had ever even heard of a Slayer living as long as Buffy. He finally picked out a book of healing rituals and headed over to the Summer’s residence.

Willow opened the door at his knock and he entered without invitation as was polite in Sunnydale. Giles looked upstairs as Willow closed the door behind him.

“Don’t worry,” the tired redhead said. “Tara’s stabilizing her.”

“How long can she do that?” Giles asked handing Willow the book.

“About an hour longer than I can,” Willow answered. “We’ve been doing it in shifts. You didn’t find anything specific to Slayers, did you?”

“I’m afraid not,” Giles sighed. “Slayers are a lot like trophy wives, interchangeable after a few years.”

“You don’t repair them, you replace them,” Willow said darkly as she took the book. “Do you think this will help?”

“I’m not sure,” the Watcher said sagging just slightly. “I was rather hoping it would inspire one of those clever insights that lead to a new spell that you and Tara do so often.”

“Giles, it’s not that easy,” Willow said as she leafed through the pages. “We just don’t...hey, that could apply here, especially if we change a couple of things.”

“Let me get this straight,” Buffy said looking at her best friend. “I’m de-laminating?”

“That’s just an example,” Willow insisted. “You’re Slayer stuff and your body are separating. That’s the big thing.”

“But I felt as weak as a kitten out there,” Buffy said unhappily. “Am I that out of shape?”

“No,” Tara responded gently. “It’s just that Buffy without the Slayer hasn’t been working out for six years.”

“You’d be like somebody in a coma,” Willow interjected. “A real coma, not a Hollywood coma.”

“Sounds icky,” Buffy said as she sat up in bed. “What’s the plan?”

“Well, its not really a plan,” Willow said hesitantly.

“You always have a plan,” Buffy teased. “What’s this one?”

“Okay,” Willow said meeting her friend’s eyes. “Who do you trust?”

“You, Tara, Giles, Anya with money, Xander to be Xander,” Buffy said ticking off her friends on her fingers. “Why?”

“It’s complicated,” Tara said gently. “Where do you feel safest?”

Miss Kitty nodded as she listened long distance to her human witches’ explanation of their cure. She thought they had the meat of it and their skill would fill in the rest. She was concerned for their safety since they would be isolated in their shield. The Witch Queen leapt to Tara’s desk and gazed into the crystal ball.

*Nothing the mundane ones can’t handle* she thought as she looked at the current situation in Sunnydale’s busy graveyards. *One vampire newbie and a Jurnan demon.*

She took a quick look into the area’s future. Her tail began to twitch.

*Oh bother!*

Tara and Willow looked into Joyce’s old room. It smelled closed in and dusty, a forgotten showplace. Neither of the Summer girls had been in here in weeks, if not months.

“This isn’t what Joyce would have wanted,” Willow said softly.

“No,” Tara agreed. “We need to clean this up for tonight.”

“I’ll clean,” Willow said running her hand over a dusty shelf. “You get the stuff for tonight.”

“Anya knows her herbs,” Tara said thoughtfully. “I’ll run my recipe past her.”

“Okay,” Willow said pushing away a drape and opening a window. “Just be ready at sunset.”

The Witch Queen had called out Willow’s science books and was prowling them taking mental notes. She tried a few spells with her new knowledge and was satisfied with the results. Then she tried an old spell with her new twist. The results were better than she hoped.

*They’ll come up the old Turner Avenue approach* she thought as she called forth a portal. *The downgrade should work.*

Both witches could see the Summers girls’ hesitation about entering their mother’s old room. They stopped and glanced at the soft candles glowing along with the golden light of sunset. Buffy looked outside and turned back to Willow.

“Spike’s with the others and Dawn is here,” Willow said before Buffy could speak. “Things are as good as they can be made.”

“What do I do?” Dawn asked quietly.

“You’re part of the grounding and you’re family nearby,” Tara explained. “It helps bring calm and ease the healing process.”

“Okay,” Dawn agreed.

“First we’ll weave a shield to block out all distractions,” Willow said with a hint of eagerness.

The redhead and Tara kissed lightly and then intwined their fingers.

Without the din of even-tide
Within all healing shall abide
Held ‘til the moon in half does rise
And be made gentle in your eyes

In the dying light Buffy and Dawn both saw tiny lights, little more than bright motes of dust begin to dance in the edges of the room. Tara uncorked a small bottle. The scent was light and drew Buffy to memories of farmers markets her parents had taken her to every summer before the evils of the night had been known.

“I hold the shield,” Willow said seriously.

“I call the healing,” Tara intoned after her.

In the dying light a small black and white cat might have been seen near the rarely used county road that turned into Turner Avenue. The animal stopped every once in a while and seemed to paw at the dirt. Since the only person in town who could read cuneiform was preparing to go on patrol for vampires several miles away no one would puzzle at the ancient script and the ideas of calling forth purified gases.

Giles would have thought the spell of hot emotions seemed much more suited to the language.

“Let’s roll!” the head demon growled as he lead his crew to their bikes. “We’re burning starlight!”

Buffy was on her stomach, draped by large soft towels. Tara began to rub the oil into her hands and chant softly. She climbed onto the bed and moved the towels, then began moving her hands over Buffy’s back in rhythm with the chant. As Tara moved over Buffy’s prone form she was careful to move the towels to keep Buffy warm.

She’s too thin, Tara thought to herself. She’s wearing herself out.

Buffy was in a state of almost sleep. All she had in her mind was Tara’s soothing touch and soft music. As Tara’s hands glided over her rump to the back of her thighs unknown tensions melted away. Buffy turned herself languidly at Tara’s unspoken command, unconcerned about her nakedness. As Tara began to work up her torso Buffy could feel Willow’s steadying presence. Tara cupped Buffy’s sex and her breasts protectively, the song becoming more stern.

Yes, Mom, Buffy thought idly.

Then Tara was stroking up her neck to a small chorus of popping noises from the Slayer’s bones. The touch of fingers on her face and running through her hair seemed to make Buffy’s hearing more acute. Willow was chanting also, very slowly but the two were in a harmony more felt than heard. Buffy lost herself in the music.

Dawn saw Tara begin to sweat with her efforts. The air around the bed had the hint of a golden glow. Then the moonlight came through the window and it seemed to the teen that Tara became motionless, a marble statue of a woman caring for another. Then the image passed and Tara was drawing Buffy’s hands into her own.

The demons were barely a mile from Sunnydale when they heard the voice.

*Go back and live, barbarians*

“Scary, bitch,” the leader laughed into the night. “You cute?”

*People have said so frequently*

“Then I’m eager to meet you,” he snarled. “So are my boys.”

*Are they eager to meet the virgins of this town?* the voice asked levelly. *And the gold as well, I assume?*

The reply were yells and howls of excitement.

*You seem to be breaking the speed limit* the voice observed dryly.

“Every law including gravity!” the leader laughed as he gunned his engine.

*I doubt it*

The leader looked ahead and saw a pair of green eyes reflecting the light from his headlight in the middle of the road ahead.

The Witch Queen of Sunnydale looked down the road at her marks as they glowed with the passage of the demons’ bikes. Greed and lust were on the upper edge of the scale and a blue haze surrounded the gasoline tanks of the bikes in her other-sight. The demons were speeding along when they hit the ward against hot emotions she had crafted across the road. The warding spell drained off the heat of the emotions in a millisecond and dumped them into the cooler, now oxygen filled spaces of the mostly empty gasoline tanks. The thundering herd of bikes became a flaming chaotic ballet as tanks ruptured with great energy and flames poured out on areas best left unburned. A rolling tire of flame headed lazily out of the screaming mass of dying, burning demons toward her only to fall over at the last moment.

*How traditional* she observed.

“I’ll kill you,” groaned the leader through his tears.

*No,* Miss Kitty replied. *Your species must have better arterial placement than most bipeds but there was lot of flying metal around your groin. I’ll bet that handgun is very heavy and you’re so cold*

The demon dropped the gun and expired from the burns and the blood loss from the deep cut in his equivalent of a femoral artery. There was nothing living in the flames before her. She saw the grass and brush near the fire begin to smoke. She looked up and twitched her tail unhappily.

*They’re rubbing off on me,* Miss Kitty sighed. *Very well. Let the rain come forth*

Then Witch Queen of Sunnydale scrambled for the portal she cast as the first drops landed on the inferno.

Buffy only barely registered the soft touch that guided her to lay on her side. Willow knelt in front of her, Dawn stood by her feet and Tara reached for Willow’s hand from where the blonde witch was kneeling behind the Slayer. When her friends touched Buffy knew she was safe and fell asleep before she could sigh her contentment.

The others arrived about an hour afterwards to find Tara leaning over a chair as Willow rubbed her back. Giles brewed up a pot of tea and poured a generous mug for both girls as Anya bolted for the bathroom.

“Was it a success?” he asked.

“Her aura is stable and it looks like Buffy,” Willow said. “Dawn’s with her now and we’ll stay the night.”

“Which looks like a good idea,” Xander said. “Tara, you look beat.”

“Massage was part of the ritual,” Tara took a long sip of tea. “It feels good to do it but it takes a lot out of you when you add healing.”

“I think I’m incredibly jealous of Buffy,” Anya said as she returned. “I think I sprained something with that vampire.”

“You keep choking up to much,” Xander said. “Let the swing flow.”

“Come here,” Tara said beckoning to seat in front of her.

“Bloody Hell,” Spike muttered as Tara began positioning Anya. “Next thing you know we’ll be doing our nails.”

“Pink could be your color,” Xander said evilly.

“Pipe down guys,” Willow admonished. “Buffy needs to sleep.”

“Right,” Xander said in a whisper. “Oh, did you guys make it rain?”

The Witch Queen of Sunnydale looked out the dorm window at the patterns in the dispersing clouds and let herself touch her humans. They were tired and locked into the endless chatter that primates seemed to love so much, but she could tell they had been successful. She looked out gently through their eyes and studied the place they were in. The kitchen was quite attractive, and there were good perching windowsills.

*Time to think about moving* she thought as she folded her paws under her and then drifted off to a light sleep.

The End

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:49 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Jixer
I love that you've made MKF a sort of guardian angel for W&T. A very shy and mysterious, all powerful Witch Queen, and a cat through and through. You do cats, and dogs, very well - I keep recognising things, if you know what I mean?

I also like the way that your take on things is obviously correct the second I read them.. ie Buffy's been a Slayer for longer than has ever been known before and the magic/power of the Slayer is kinda slipping its moorings in her body, so of course, the witches put it back with the best massage Buffy's ever had (can I be next?).

BTW, I re-read the lot and had a lovely time. I especially liked the seemingly inconsequential rescue of a sparrow resulting in it returning the favour big-time, and preventing the untimely death of Tara.

Thanks
Anne

Every path has its puddle. Old English Saying... I think I just stepped in mine...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:52 am 
5. Willowhand

Hello Kittens-

I’m sorry this is so late, spells42 :( Bad writer! No donut!

I enjoy looking at things through other eyes, so to speak and I have been owned by some very interesting animals in the past.

Terribly sorry, but Tara massages are must remain in Pens, lest the world grind to a halt in relaxed mellowness preventing the production of coffee, tea, and chocolate.

Two For A Penny has one of my favorite themes, kindness. It can be more powerful than an army but cost less than a glass of water, and there’s something about our girls that make it easy to write about kindness.

My thanks,

Jixer

Post subject: Healer by Jixer
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:38 pm 
5. Willowhand

Title: Healer
Author: Jixer
Spoilers: None
Disclaimer: The characters of BtVS and their surroundings are the property of Mutant Enemy, not me nor any of my heirs or assigns. I promise to have them back before you need them again.
Summary: A different Miss Kitty than I've written before.

I dislike this part of the duty the most. Submitting myself to a bath like a tall one is most distressing but I do what I must. My junior colleague the dog still requires both our mothers to get him into the tub. This from a creature will follow his beloved ball halfway across a pond and, being impossible to box train, insists on long walks in the rain. Still he does have a decent heart, and is good with our patients. He is Dick, of a breed called Labrador, which I believe means dumb but loyal in a human language.

After the indignity of the bath we are dried and our claws are manicured. I realize pampering is my right but sometimes I think our mothers overdo it a bit. Finally we enter our crates and are placed in mortal danger in the moving transport box that stinks. At least that's my impression. The dog of course is oblivious to the dangers and whuffs happily through the whole ordeal. After a brief eternity we arrive at the human vets called Sunnydale General. It is much larger than my own doctor's office. Today my mother Willow will handle the dog after getting on his vest that proclaims his healing status. I do not have a vest but I do have a collar. My mother Tara arrives with the wire rolling throne. The soft towels on the top basket make it most comfortable. I tuck my paws under me and we begin our rounds.

Today like most days we start in the adult section. A few stops for us both on each hallway. One patient is still here from many visits. Her scent is better but she remains weak. When she sees me she calls out “Miss Kitty!” as she pats her bed. It's my cue so I leap off the throne and land on her bed. We do this only for a few people. She begins to pet me and talk to Tara about me and the cats she has had in life. I begin my purr and lean into each stroke. It gives her a bit more resistance for her muscles and my soft fur adds the bonus of being a pleasant stimuli for her nerves. Several patients are in the common area and I hear Dick scrambling after his ball as they chuckle and talk. Together we visit bed bound and ambulatory patients. With a few Dick almost becomes cat like. He becomes still and just lets them touch him. One old human we have tended before, who is at least twenty in cat years, does nothing but smile and rub his ears as Dick lays next to him on his bed. Today I join him on the other side. It takes a bit but he finally moves his hand slowly and gently across my back. We are reluctant to go. I will concede to Dick the power of his nose, but even I can tell we will not be seeing him again. It is a curse if you will of what we do. We can not save them all, as I know too well.

We retreat to the obnoxious box for food, water, and a hygiene break. They throw the ball for Dick as I slip in a nap within the safety of my crate. Too soon I am awakened and I return to duty. This time we are bound for the young ones. The Pediatric ward is smaller than the adult side. There are only a few patients we have worked with before. Young Robert is hiding in his fort of pillows again, the leads from the medical devices trail inside the soft cavern. The nurse speaks with my red-haired mother and she takes Dick to the door of the room. Dick lets out a soft woof and the pillow fort collapses as the too skinny boy crawls out at speed with a shout. He wraps the dog in a bear hug and my colleague pushes back just enough to make Robert squeal happily, something that can't be pleasant with hearing as sensitive as a dog's. Dick takes it and never loses a beat with his tail. I make my way through several children, mostly on bedrest. Tara usually picks me up and places me on the bed for a brief session. For one bored little girl she shows her how to call me to jump. It seems like a fairly light day. Then a nurse comes up to Tara and speaks to her about a patient and I catch the words drunk driver. I fear the worst.

I cannot help but remember the first victim of this horrible scourge. She had little blood scent on her, but there was no breath within her save for that the mechanical box gave her. When I purred I reached nothing. I even used my strongest purr, directed to the life next to mine. It went unanswered. The mother sang to her. “Here's a kitty baby. You love kitties. Pet the kitty honey. Please pet the kitty.” Neither of our songs reached her. When Tara picked me up I struggled, unwilling to let go. The parents wept, the mother's howls are still locked in my memory. Finally the thrashing helicopter came and strange humans loaded her into the flying machine. When it left the ground it looked like an unholy giant insect carrying away the child I could not reach, its prey in a metal belly.

Dick's whine and worried sniff break my waking memory dream. I rub against him and mark him as mine. It's taken so long to get him trained. I settle into the throne and brace myself. I have dealt with other patients of this condition since then. Some were broken and never quite whole again, but they live and life is hope. We roll into the room. It's a girl who has the fading blood scent but her wounds are treated well and covered. There is no fever, nor has there been one recently. She breathes on her own, but she is as still a stone in our garden. There are other scents here too, but they belong to the adult male and female sitting near her bed. The female looks up.

“Is this sanitary?” she asks. I do not bristle at the question. The worry and fear tones in both her voice and scent are uncomfortably familiar.

My mother and the nurse talk to her as Tara sits me next to the child. I take a page from Dick's procedure and burrow my head under a flaccid hand. Then I begin my purr. It builds and fills me but the hand on my head does not move. I fill my purr with all that I have. I purr of the sunbeam on the chair. I purr of sleeping on Dick on cold mornings. I purr of all of those who have held me. Finally I purr of my mothers and their love. Before the toys, before the house, even before the petting I purr of finding them in the cold hard place called a pound. I purr of my mothers picking me up for the first time and knowing I had a home and family. Her hand moves ever so slightly. I purr of my first night in my home, sleeping between my mothers. She brushes my head softly, and does it again. I feel her pushing up and know this will happen fast. It takes all of my control to keep my claws pulled in as she pulls me into a embrace that ends with her wrapped around me in the fetal position and crying. Finally she calls for her Daddy. She knows her mother is dead.

All of the others in the room come crowding toward the bed. I look at Tara and place a protective paw on the child. Tara holds her place. I turn and lick away a salt tear, just one of dozens she is finally letting fall. She looks at me for the first time. I push my forehead against hers, more for the contact and reassurance it will give her for despite my mark I know she is not mine. Mine are waiting for me at the doorway, Willow's hand on Tara's shoulder and Dick in front of them whining his concern. I give him a soft meow and he calms down, at least as much as he can around a crying child. Slowly the adults talk to the girl and promise they will take her to her father as soon as they can. She holds onto me for now. I let her and use my more surface comforting purr. She is relaxing and finally the tears have stopped. In a while I will return to my throne for the ride to my crate. Then I and my dog shall travel home, he more happily than I. We will rest, recuperate, and then return in a few days. It's what we do.

The End

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:49 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Though you've written often from a cat's eye view of the world, this is indeed a unique portrayal. Very little of your trademark humour in this one, though it comes through in MKF's attitude toward her "junior colleague." What it is filled with is a deep compassion for those who suffer, a compassion I hope is shared by all who are called to be healers.

Beautifully written, and leaves the reader with a damp eye and a lump in the throat.

Russ

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:46 pm 
5. Willowhand

Hello Kittens-

The afternoon's shadows are getting longer and I'm not sure where the day went.

russ-I'm afraid I let a bit of some old memories into this MKF. She's based on a real therapy cat that rides in wire file basket lined with pillows. The real cat does sometimes have a 'junior partner' as well. My hat is off to the volunteers who qualify their pets and make them ready for visits. Sometimes the staff needs a therapy cat too.

Thank you for your time,

Jixer