The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: AU Vignettes: The Laundry Diaries
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:01 am 
Quote:
My favorite place was the bench perpendicular to the table furthest from the doors. It faced the wall of dryers and I always did my best to fill all the top dryers so she would have to use the bottoms ones.

She fills out her jeans nicely. Sue me.

OMG. Too funny. And it perfectly encapsulates the kind of inner monologue I've always thought Tara might have.

This is another beautiful vignette. There's really a lot going on here. It's a coming together story (obviously). It's also a discourse on the world as experienced by night dwellers (no, not that kind). And then it's also a meditation on the meaning of bravery.

I'd love to see this series of vignettes continue, but that's just because I enjoyed them so much. Count me a fan.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:16 pm 
First of all, I want to thank all of you who have read this and all of you who left feedback. This experience has been a far cry from my first fan fic posting experience long ago. It's very encouraging to know that even when I post pieces that are slightly unconventional in their form and/or style, they are still readable and enjoyable for you. Thank you again for making this such a terrific experience for me!

silentinformer-I hadn't even logged off last night when I saw your post. I stuck around till you finished reading and posted feedback. Thanks you so much! That section you quoted was my absolute favorite out of both of them. I'm so glad you enjoyed it too. I have lots of longer stories in the works and since this has gone so well, I've promised myself I would get off my duff and finish some things. Thanks so much for reading!

meretricious-You know, I wondered how interesting it might be for people to read knowing what was coming next. I knew there wasn't much else style-wise like this around and I wondered if readers would stick with it or be turned off by the odd style. I'm glad you found it so entertaining. I have other stories in the works. It's just a matter of getting my lazy bones in gear. Thanks for reading!

The Rose24-I'm glad you enjoyed it. Tara always struck me as the kind of girl who had to be galvanized to do certain things, whether the catalyst was odd circumstances or feelings of moral obligation or what have you. She just needed a push in the right direction. The Geek sweatshirt was a late addition and really tied the clothing section all together for me. Thanks for reading!

EasierSaid-I think you've made me blush enough in the last couple of days, young lady.:blush I'm glad the second part was fresh for you too. I worried about it some, but hoped that seeing the world through Tara's very different eyes would keep readers involved. I thought this second one was much funnier, but I also think Tara has a more developed sense of humor than Willow. Willow is funny because she's a spaz. Tara is funny because she is a quiet observer of life and sees the ridiculous things we do to ourselves. And I'm working on other things. I have one that I may start to post before the end of the year if I can get through the rough draft in the next two weeks. You know me though.:crazy Thanks again!

tarawhipped-I'm glad you enjoyed both parts! I knew I wanted them to share certain perspectives other than Officer Baxton and that one experience. Third shift life is like that. It's a much slower pace and so you can observe more. At least, that's what it was like for me. This is actually the second story where I've made Tara a DJ. (The other is as yet unposted.) I thought it fit her perfectly. Who does she have to interact with? Hardly anyone. And she doesn't have to worry about what she looks like or anything else. I'm glad it fit for you too. I think this particular storyline has come to a close, but I have lots of other things I'm working on. Thanks for reading!

Tempest Duer-Yeah, it took a while longer to get it where I wanted it. Thanks for looking at it for me though and I'm glad you like Tara's story as well. Thanks for reading!

Sassette-Wow! A vignette sized feedback for my vignettes.:lol Before I reply to this latest, I wanted to jump back to your first feedback. I completely forgot to mention the third shift vs. graveyard and I especially wanted to do that since Tara uses the word graveyard. I hesitated using that word. Let's face it, even if it's AU and I advertise it as such, it's still Buffy-related characters. But it struck me as such a Tara-ism that I kept it. Especially considering the near solitary conditions of her job - herself, a microphone, some music, a playlist, and one sleeping Roger. I worked nights in retail and we called it "overnight". I've worked nights in a factory and we called it "third shift". I also worked nights in EMS and called it the "graveyard shift". Of course that could be because we hauled more than a few to the morgue on that shift. I suspect it's the job. And, yes, you made me squeal and, yes, it was a good thing. Embarassing, but good. DO you have any idea how much I love Baxton now?:lol And, no, wrong prison for me too, but for him to be a beacon to our girls... I just laughed out loud. He was such a headache to write. I'm just ecstatic he turned out to be more than even I thought possible for him. Thanks so much for that! Willow as a third shift people-pleaser... I never thought of it that way really. I saw more of the avoiding the Cordelia Chase scene I think. Offices are ugly places during the day. I just didn't think Willow had the claws for it. And what you said about Tara and finding what is at her core is the biggest reason I love reading and especially writing AUs. She's difficult! There are these sort of vague, idealized concepts of who she is and I love being able to pin her down a little more; see who she is when growing up in a totally different environment. The challange always is to keep her recognizable and have the readers still be able to relate to her as our Tara. I'm glad you think I've succeeded with that. You know, after I finally settled on the final scene with Baxton, I realized Willow said only one word during the whole interaction. "Oh?" It immediately made me nervous. I realized the whole thing would take place solely in their heads and we couldn't hear Baxton at all. I wondered if the interaction that wasn't really there would show up. Did that make sense? The end was actually the first part I visualised. I could see how someone just introducing themselves could seem so innocuous and mundane, but in the great scheme of Willow and Tara - their inevitability as a couple - it would be significant and considering Tara's shyness, a large act of bravery. As soon as Willow's part was done, I had a title for Tara's. Coin Operated vs. Tumble Dry was the feel I wanted from both fics. Willow's order vs. Tara's meanderings. I'm glad it worked. And a beginning...yes, yes, definitely. It's just a reflection from both of them about how they first spoke. I could see them sitting down together to write it all out after they'd been together 25 years or so. I'm so glad you enjoyed this, Sassette. You have no idea what it means to me to see you here and to read your thoughtful, intent feedback. Thank you so very much.

JustSkipIt-Wow! Another fav author makes an appearance here. Thanks so much! I preferred Tara's too, but just because I let myself write that one more. I really fought with Willow's for a time. Glad you enjoyed it!

MissKittys Ball O Yarn-If you're looking for something else well written, try Neverland by EasierSaid here on Pens. Awesome stuff! But thank you so very much for such high praise!:blush I don't have anything else posted right now, but I'm working on some things, most of them longer stories. Thanks for reading!

Artemis-CHRIS!!!!!!! How excited was I to see you in my thread?!!? And ME on Looking Glass???? How many ways can I say YES!:laugh I'm glad you like the tone of it all. I could see Tara with that smile as I wrote it often too. I think I might have a minor obsession with AB's voice to be honest. This isn't the first time I've made Tara a DJ.;) I'm glad you like Baxton too. He was a pain in the ass, but it seems I finally got him right. Thanks so much for reading!!

behindhereyes-So glad you liked both! Thanks so much for reading!!

babyblue-See, I always thought Tara had an inner perv too! Actually, Tara has always struck my a surprisingly sensual. Now that doesn't automatically mean sexual, of course, but I think she's has a better idea of what she likes and is willing to indulge at least in her head over it. I'm glad you enjoyed this. I'm not sure how I could possibly continue it, but I have other longer stories in the works. Thanks so much for reading!

Dazed and Confused83-I'm really glad you enjoyed these! Unfortunately, this is the end of the road for these two particular incarnations of Willow and Tara. I wrote vignettes as a challange to myself. I tend to write things that turn out to be endless. So, I made myself write something short. Thanks for reading!!

Thanks again to everyone!!

Trom's Brain: Rubbing the World the Wrong Way

Edited by: TromDeGrey at: 12/2/04 12:22 pm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:34 pm 
I'm sorry I didn't reply before. I just wanna say that I adored this, and, it's sad that we don't even get an epilogue or something. But it was great. :grin

-------------------

"See? I've mastered this tact crap." Anya in Tears Of The Goddess by Lisa

The course of love doesn’t always run smooth, especially for the neurotic and accident-prone. ~ LadyB

.:Dark-bliss.net :. .:Blink.Flash.Sparkle.:. .:My blog:. .:Blood and Ink:. .:Washi's 70s Site:.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:37 pm 
Trom,

I don't think I commented on this second part yet. All these long feedbacks have me intimidated! What to say, what to say... oh yeah, great job again! You out did yourself with this one. I, like several others, enjoyed the second part more so than the first. I think it's because of both the additional Tara humor, which is adorable, and the perspective of Willow's version in the first part.

I remember you once saying that you loved me using only Tara's perspective in RI. Well, I think the way you have used both perspectives for the same scene is devastatingly effective. Wow, I have wanted to use that in a sentence forever! To see the different internal reactions to the same event and to get the background of each character's life from their own perspective is very engrossing. It's like when you are falling for a girl and you are flirting and she's flirting back and you are just starting to date and all you keep wondering is "what does she think of me", "was what I just said funny?", "is this 'i love lesbians' shirt too obvious"? You really answer these things we all ask ourselves that we can't possibly know. I love it. I think I just hurt myself explaining that.

More please? Great to see you writing =))

:peace

-pipsberg

"We live our lives, do whatever we do, and then we sleep - it's as simple and ordinary as that."

Michael Cunningham, The Hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:26 pm 
Dude, I'm so freaking tired and heading to bed.. I just HAD to stop and tell you how awesome these were. I read Willow's POV earlier today and just got done with Tara's.

I loved the ending the most out of both of theirs, but seriously.. Tara's just had me laughing out loud the entire time. It was so fun to read and I've just been recommending these to everyone!

I hope to read more from you soon!

Ashleigh

"...A-and I'm gonna make it up to you. Starting right now."

(Starts to smile)"Right now?"

Post subject: Lesbian laundry
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:36 am 
Oh man, that was just amazingly well written, both parts. Totally mesmerizing. I'm hoping you have something else for us soon.

Ah yes, third shift in a hospital...let's see...we had a ghost in the CCU, his name was Emil. And working in the ER, let's just say Halloween and New Year's were actually worth having to work just to see some of the situations people could get themselves into. Lots of fun, just like your incredible little vignette.

Thanks for sharing!

Wimpy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:35 am 
Very nice, very funny, very sweet, and I like how it leaves the rest to our imagination ;)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:32 pm 
Washi-Glad you enjoyed it. When I wrote this, I could sort of visualize W&T sitting down together to write it after they'd been together 25 years or so. That's really where it came from and why it ended where it did. Thanks for reading!

pipsberg-I liked Tara's part better also, but I think it's because I struggled so much with Willow's perspective. A wonderful writer once told me that you begrudge a story that you fight with and usually end up liking it less than others that flowed easier. Very true. I like how you saw the beginning of a relationship. I always connect better to stories that remind me or hold something personal for me. I'm glad you found that here. Thanks for reading!

VixenyTarasHot-Hope you got some sleep!:lol And thank you for recommending these! As I said earlier to someone else, I think Tara has a more developed sense of humor, whereas Willow is just funny cause she's a spaz. Thanks for reading!

wimpy0729-I'm glad you enjoyed them both and I'm working on other projects, but I don't know how soon I'll get anything done. I'm pretty :crazy when it comes to getting stories to a point where I feel I can post. My office and apartment are in the same building that used to be a hospital. This place is so haunted!! I sometimes see a guy walking the hall just outside my office. We just call him Guy.:lol I can also sometimes hear voices in my apartment eventhough there is no one else around me in that part of the building. Mucho creepy! Thanks for reading!

BFR from Paris-I'm glad you enjoyed them! Thanks for reading!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:15 pm 
Trom,

I just had to echo everyone else's sentiments about how delightful this was to read. The first person POV is perfect for your tale. I was as equally entertained by Tara's version as I was by Willow's. I also found myself intrigued by your supporting characters. Diane, Roger and, of course, Officer Baxton are wonderfully subtle enhancements to an already interesting story.

As someone who works in a 24 hour a day operation, I've had the opportunity to meet many third shift workers. And they are all indeed weird. Unfortunately for me, none of them looked like Willow and Tara.

I can also relate to that situation where you see someone every day or once a week and you keep waiting for something that will give you a reason to talk to that person. I walk my dog at basically the same time every morning and see the same cute woman every day. We exchange those polite nods, or sometimes a hello, but we don't have an Office Baxton to be our catalyst.

Thank you for sharing this well written and entertaining story. I'm eagerly awaiting more.

"The history of our nation has demonstrated that separate is seldom, if ever, equal." The Massachusetts Supreme Court upholding its ruling in favor of gay marriage

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:52 pm 
Tiggrscorpio-Another favorite author graces this thread. Wow! How excited was I to see your name here! I'm so glad you enjoyed these. Roger was completely made up. Baxton nearly killed me, but I finally found his voice after Shamden made a suggestion and I did a writing exercise looking at the scene through Baxton's eyes. Diane, I must sheepishly admit, is a very real grandmother and a friend of mine that I miss. She loved to dye her hair different colors just to piss off her boyfriend. She called it her version of chemical warfare.:lol Yes, those of us that have worked third shift can be pretty odd. I think it's just the hours though. I'd like to think I'm fairly normal when functioning during the day.:blush And hey, here's hoping an Officer Baxton shows up for you soon.:p Thanks for reading!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:54 pm 
Hi Trom,

I finally found some time to finish reading this story, and, what a delight. Although I've never worked an overnight shift, not even in my misspent cab-driving youth, reading this makes me feel like I understand the lives of those that do.

The characters were well-drawn; through the mostly internal dialogue we get to know each of them in all their charming oddness.

I love the way they surreptitiously check each other out, how they use laundry analysis to determine each other's character, how they are on the same wave length in dealing with the "danger" of Officer Braxton.

Speaking of Braxton, what a perfect character to bring them together. So atypical as a cop, yet so perfect as an earnest and well-meaning kid determined to make a difference. Both girls, though Tara more so, recognize his courage and are motivated by it to overcome their cowardice.

Interesting how the two women see the decisive moment so differently. For Willow, it's an ordinary moment becoming extraordinary. For Tara, it's the ultimate act of bravery. Nonetheless, for both it's life-changing. I liked your response to Washi when you envision the two sitting down to write these accounts after many years together.

Just one stumbling block remaining to this relationship: Willow's ranidaphobia meets Tara's ceramic frog collection!

It's a lovely story, Trom, and I hope we'll see more of your writings here soon.

Russ

When we love and give it everything we've got, no matter what the consequences, we are doing what we were put here to do -- Geneen Roth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:52 pm 
russ- I'm really glad you enjoyed the internal dialogue and could get a feel for third shift life. You have no idea how big my smile is when people tell me they like Baxton. He was such a pain in the ass!:lol You know, Tara's frog collection was a last minute addition. No relationship is perfect and I thought I had added in one stumbling block with Willow's dream dinner and Tara not wanting to shorten her life with those same burritos, but that line presented itself and I could not let it pass. I'm working on other things and hope to have something started here on Pens before the end of the year. Thanks so much for reading!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:24 pm 
Wow! What a great story. That was just so cute and sweet and funny. It made me feel warm and fuzzy all over. Thank you.

She danced as they say in that song - like a wave on the ocean.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:48 pm 
the hero factor- Glad you enjoyed it. Warm fuzzies are always the best! Thanks for reading!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:42 pm 
Very nice. I'm sorry it took me so long to get around to reading your vignettes, Trom. I love how much you were able to do with so few words between the girls, and it's very cute (and a bit frustrating) watching them in their heads trying to figure out the other girl from her laundry.

--

"Omnia mutantur, nihil interit." -- "Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:21 pm 
2. Floating Rose

I love these vignettes! I love how they come from both perspectives, and how they made me laugh out loud and grin like a fool. They're incredibly well-written, and capture the essences of the girls perfectly. And your AU is just sweet. :clap Bravo, well done. Thank you for sharing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:30 pm 
15. Apple Sauce & Tuna

Stunning. Absolutely frickin' stunning.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:49 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Well now, I was just tickled pink when I went looking for another fic here in the archives and found that my vignettes had gotten additional feedback.

dmw- So good to see your name pop up here. Thanks for taking time I know you don't exactly have to read. I love the Laundry Game and wanted to see what would go through each of their heads as they played it too. The lack of dialog was a total fluke and panicked me a bit when I realized I had done it, but I think it was one of those instances where first person was the best way to do things. Thanks again!

Ressick- Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback here in the archive. Laugh-out-loud funny is one of the best compliments I think I could get for these. I'm glad you think I captured their essences as well. Always the trickiest part of writing AU. Thanks again!

Candleshoe- :blush Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:46 am 
2. Floating Rose

Hello!

I just wanted to thank you for this amazing story here... I know you wrote the vignettes years ago (well... I didn't dare to join before! lol) but still, they are on my "favorite fics" list and I simply love it. :-D :-D

I have to say that it's specially your style! The two fics were hilarious, I think I laughed for half an hour after the bit about Willow's sweatshirt:

" "Property of Geek Departement"... I was in love" :rofl

Anyway, I wonder what people think when they see me grinning like an idiot reading something on my laptop :happy Well, it's your fault, since I'm just reading your story again!
Once again thanks, I :love your work!

Superbus, "Travel the World"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:02 am 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Topics: 4
I actually read these a while ago, but it was late at night and I thought to myself, "I'll leave feedback tomorrow." Well, it's probably two or three months later now ... but better late than never!

I don't recall how exactly I found these stories; I think it was a recommendation in one of EasierSaid or Sassette's threads. However it is I got here, though, I'm glad I did. I really loved these two stories. I don't normally read a lot of fanfic here - or anywhere else, for that matter - and I think the fact that I started with some really, really good stories has spoiled me. Some fics are good, but just don't catch my interest. Or sometimes I'm just not in the mood. I think all the stars aligned just right when I read The Laundry Diaries, though. Very well written, it was entertaining to read the same story from the two different perspectives, and I guess I was in the right kind of mood.

I think what I liked best about this - and what I tend to like best about all my favourite fics here - is that these characters really ARE Willow & Tara. They don't come off as some other characters that just get Willow & Tara's names slapped on them. I was convinced. I was particularly impressed because this isn't just a straight narrative - you're in their heads almost the entire time. I guess this might've been easier for Willow since so much of her internal dialogue tends to tumble right out of her mouth, but you never really saw this with Tara. The Willow-side of the story was nice because it felt so familiar, but the Tara-side was perhaps more interesting to me because we're getting to know Tara in a way we never did on the show. I really liked it.

I don't know if Trom DeGrey is even around anymore, but if she happens to stop by and see this I want to say a big thanks! I enjoyed this a whole lot.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:50 am 

Halo- Thanks for stopping in a leaving feedback. I'm happy these two vignettes still bring laughter after all this time. They were a challenge at the time, but I can honestly say that they were worth it as I still think it's some of the best work I've ever done. Thanks again!

gorn- I stick my head in every once in a great while. I'm glad you found this in the right mood and gave it a chance. I understand what you mean about reading stories that feature Willow and Tara in name only. It's actually one of the reasons I'm not posting my current story here on the Kitten. I think a lot of people would be turned off by my versions of Willow and Tara in the beginning of the story. It's what makes them fun for me though, especially writing them in AU settings. If I change things about their character formation, how will it change them? And more importantly, can I still make them recognizable? Can I still make them our Willow and Tara? I seem to have succeeded with Laundry Diaries. I think the verdict is still out on my current story. Thanks for stopping by and leaving feedback!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:46 am 
Hi TromDegrey,

I actually read your vignettes a couple of weeks ago and they left a tingly sensation in my tummy. Lovely narrative style from the first-person stance – I especially liked how you twisted something as mundane as laundry washing into a romantic streak. And it was fun seeing how Tara & Will got an indirect but honest taste of each other's personalities through the clothes they would bring over.

Thank you for writing this,
Vi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:31 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 4
I've read these over and over and over again and each time I get a little something more. The reading just flows so magnificently that it seems as if writing it had been just as easy.

Normally I don't enjoy reading first person stories, but I dunno, something about the way you did it made me feel as if I were home. Lyrical, funny, vivid and true, Willow and Tara became more than just characters I've read about(and seen), they became my friends.

Thank you thank you for this wonderful and perfect pair of stories. Know that every few rainy months, I pull out this story and read it, it is definitely not a one-shot read. I hope the writing bug bites you again because more than anything, I'd love to see more by you.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:54 pm 

Vi - Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. It's always a nice feeling to pop onto the Kitten now and then and realize LD is still being read and commented on. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Zooeys_Bridge - Thank you as well for taking the time to leave feedback. The stories were actually quite a challenge for me at the time. I say at the time like I write so much better now. ;-) Truth be told, I even reread them a few months ago and they're still one of the best things I've ever written. I'm not sure what that says about me as a writer. :blush I have written something else that's unfinished and hasn't been updated in quite some time. It's also not to be found on the Kitten. I have every intention of finishing it though. Thanks again for your feedback!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:37 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

That was refreshingly lovely in so many ways. Such a sweet simple (but very complex) scene. I loved the two viewpoints and those fantastic inner monologues.
Thank you for brightening my day.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:38 am 
2. Floating Rose

I love this 2 little jewels, you made my night and insomnia worth it (3:00 am here)... Yep, nothing like third shift and its weird inhabitants (yep, i miss it...so much... snif...) Especially if they are as lovely as W/T are or are written as wondefully well as you had, everything in the set up fits in so perfectly ( in its quirky, amusing and thrilling kinda way), thanks for sharing and bright my night, good luck :)