The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New AU Fic - Chemistry
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:30 pm 
9. Gay Now

Title: Chemistry
Author: TazRaven
Distribution: Sure, if you actually like it that much to use it.
Feedback: If you don’t have something nice to say, put it in a letter and send it to me anyways.
Disclaimers: I don’t own any of the characters. Please don’t sue…
Summary: A chemistry professor and a horse trainer meet and the sparks fly. I think I suck at summaries.
Rating: PG until further notice… I may try something racier if I feel up to the challenge.
Timeline: Totally AU, could be present time if you want.
Author's Notes: This is my first ever fic. Ever. Please tell me if you hate it, love it, or wanna burn it at the stake. I would love the feedback.

Chemistry

Chapter 1

Willow grabbed her coffee cup and briefcase and stopped at the foot of the stairs. “Buffy!” Willow yelled, like she did every morning at 7:30, “Get your butt down here!” Willow Rosenberg hated being late, and she was not about to break her perfect track record because of a sleepy friend. Buffy trudged down the stairs in a pants suit holding a similar briefcase. She went to the kitchen and grabbed a cup of coffee before heading towards the front door where a very peeved red-head was standing, tapping her foot impatiently. Willow gave her a look but Buffy shook it off with a wave of her hand. Waking up in the morning was not a talent Buffy had, and the blonde didn’t need her best friend reminding her of that fact, as she had for the past 10 years. The two women walked out the door and got into the small SUV parked in the driveway. After situating their coffee cups, Willow started the car and drove towards Sunnydale High School, where Buffy worked as a counselor.

After a drive that involved very few words and many disapproving glances, Willow dropped Buffy off at the front of the school, arranging to meet at 5:00 to head home. Willow started the car again and turned in the direction of UC Sunnydale. With nearly eight years at the college, the campus was almost like a second home. After graduating from Sunnydale High with Buffy, they had both started college at UC Sunnydale. Buffy had majored in psychology and Willow had double majored in Chemistry and Computer Science. At the age of 24, both women had graduated with master’s degrees; Buffy’s in psychology and Willow’s in her double major. Now at 26 years old, Willow was about to teach a class alone for the first time; and she was scared. It didn’t matter that she had spent all summer going over her lesson plans for at least four hours every day. Nor did it matter that Willow had practiced with Buffy until the blonde had gotten so tired of it that she had hidden the lesson plans until Willow had promised to stop. And it certainly didn’t matter that she was arriving at her classroom an obsessive, bordering on insane, two hours early. No, she was nervous and that was how it had to be.

Willow Rosenberg parked the car in her spot right outside the Chemistry building and gathered up her teaching materials and her coffee. Taking a big breath to center herself, Willow squared her shoulders and confidently walked up to the double doors of the building where she had spent so many hours as a student and a teaching assistant. She stepped into her office and put her briefcase on the floor next to her immaculately clean desk. After checking her email on her laptop, Willow left to ensure that her experiments in the lab were going well. At the moment, she was working on digitally graphing a molecule in order to better understand the structures of the more complex chemical compounds. The work was meticulous and taxing, but Willow probably wouldn’t have it any other way. As it was, she had already taken over work that she could have had graduate students do, but her perfectionist personality refused to believe that anyone could do her experiments better than herself.

Ha, Willow mused, and all this time I thought my parents were crazy.

As a child, Willow had grown up in a secure but lonely home. Her parents were usually missing, touring the world on a lecture circuit or promoting a new theory. Of course, now that Willow had gotten a taste of sophisticated academia, she was quickly becoming just like them. After checking on her various experiments, Willow left the lab and jogged back to her office. With only an hour before her class, she wanted to go over her lesson plan one more time, even though by now she had memorized every word. Finally the moment arrived. With fifteen minutes to spare, Willow left her office and walked to her classroom with a determined look in her eyes.

This will go well, I can do this, this will go well, I can do this.

Her mantra repeated in her head until she reached the classroom. Already seeing a couple of students getting situated in their seats, Willow strode towards the podium at the front of the class. She loaded her lecture into the computer and waited for the rest of the students to show up. At exactly ten o’clock, Willow opened up her lecture and waited for the class to quiet down.

“Hello everyone, my name is Willow Rosenberg and this is Organic Chemistry.” Willow took a deep breath and continued, determined not to let her nervousness shine through. “You all can call me Willow or Ms. Rosenberg, whichever you prefer. Now in this class we will be studying the organic component of chemistry which is all about Carbon and its attraction to other elements…”

--------------------

At 5:00 pm exactly, Willow pulled up to the front of Sunnydale High, taking a quick look around for Buffy. The blonde in question was standing at the front, waiting for the red-head, having apparently shaken off her aptitude for lateness this morning.

Buffy gave Willow a huge smile. “Hey Will! How’d the class go?”

Willow turned towards her friend, a huge smile plastered on her face. “It went amazing Buffy! I went into class and I did my lecture and they didn’t talk throughout the whole class! Unless, they were supposed to talk…” Willow’s smile quickly fell and a worried look took over her face. “Oh, God! I bet they were supposed to talk and ask questions! I did horrible. I probably had all of the wrong information and the wrong slides and they probably hated me. How am I ever going to show my face in school again? I should just drop out now and save the dean the trouble of firing me and then…”

“Will!” Buffy yelled, startling the red-head out of her worried rant. “I’m sure you were great. You know I love you and your babble, but sometimes you have to give it a rest.”

Willow looked at Buffy and realized she may have been acting slightly irrational. Her smile returned and she turned the car towards home. The pair arrived at the house and immediately went to work preparing dinner. As Willow was putting the finishing touches on the baked chicken, the phone rang. She quickly washed her hands and picked up the phone.

“Hello?” Willow answered.

“Hello. Am I speaking to Willow Rosenberg?” the voice on the phone asked.

“Yes,” she answered slowly. “Who is this?”

“My name is Robert Cohen. I was David Rosenberg’s attorney.”

“Was?” Willow asked.

“I’m sorry to have to tell you this, but your uncle passed away yesterday.”

Willow stood perfectly still for a moment before realizing what the attorney had just said. She had loved her uncle very much, but in the last few years they had drifted apart. Even though, she was shocked that her family hadn’t called to inform her of this.

“As I was saying, Miss Rosenberg, I was your uncle’s attorney. It seems that there is mention of you in his will. You were aware of your uncle’s holdings?”

“Yes,” Willow answered robotically, still in shock. “He owned a farm about an hour outside of Sunnydale.”

“Yes, that’s correct. It seems that you are now the owner of the property, along with all of the assets that are contained at the farm.”

“Assets?”

“Yes. There is some livestock, a dog, and of course the horses.”

“I would have to take the horses?!” Willow yelped. Willow was not a fan of horses. In fact, it could be said by the people that knew her well that she had an emphatic phobia of the creatures, and it would probably remain for the rest of her life.

“Actually, Miss Rosenberg, it was your uncle’s wishes that the farm either be kept by you or sold to a Miss Tara Maclay, the horse trainer that lives close to the property. Apparently, the horses and the other livestock and animals would also go to Miss Maclay if you do decide to sell the property at a price prearranged by your uncle.”

“Oh. Um, alright. Would it be possible for me to meet this woman before I make a decision? I know, or well, I knew my uncle, and I know he would want to make sure that the farm and the animals would be well taken care of.”

“Of course Miss Rosenberg. I’ll just give you the address and the phone number of Miss Maclay. Please just give me a call when you’ve made your decision.” The attorney proceeded to give Willow the contact information and the two bade each other a good night. Willow stood next to the table with the phone in her hand, looking at it like it didn’t belong on this planet. In the space of about fifteen minutes, Willow had learned that her uncle had died, she had inherited a farm, with horses of all things, and that someone named Tara was willing to buy it all. Willow didn’t even know who this Tara was. Her uncle had certainly never mentioned her, and that made Willow even more nervous. Willow took a deep breath and put the phone back into the charger. She walked into the kitchen and sat down at the table, clasping her hands together, while Buffy looked at her oddly.

“Hey Will, who was that?” the blonde asked, thoroughly confused with her best friend’s behavior. It was only then that Buffy noticed the tears quickly forming in Willow’s eyes. She rushed towards her and engulfed the red-head in her arms. “Shh, what happened?” she asked in a soft whisper. Willow slowly stopped crying and dried her eyes. She explained what had happened in broken words and then started to talk about her uncle. The two friends talked for hours, with Willow reminiscing about her late uncle, all the while wondering in her mind what she was going to do about the farm and Tara Maclay.

--------------------

The week passed by quickly for Willow as she buried herself under mountains of work. The class could not have been going better for her and her experiments were thriving as well. Near the end of the week, Willow decided to give Tara a call in order to set up a time when they could meet and talk about her uncle’s holdings. Willow picked up the phone and dialed Tara’s number.

Ring. For some reason, she was slightly nervous. Perhaps it was because this was the woman who had made such an impression on her uncle.

Ring. What was this woman like? Was she older? Younger? Would Willow even like her?

Ring. She knew the only way she would find out the answers to any of the questions floating around in her brain was to call Tara and meet with her.

Rin- “H-Hello?” a voice on the phone answered. Willow immediately came to the conclusion that Tara was not an older woman.

“Erm, hi. Is this Tara Maclay?” Willow asked in an apprehensive voice.

“This is she,” Tara answered. “W-Who is this?” Tara asked back, in an equally unsure tone.

“Oh! I’m so rude. I called you up and I didn’t even tell you my name.” Willow suddenly became flustered and mentally slapped herself on the forehead. “I’m Willow Rosenberg. I, um, I was David’s niece.”

Ten minutes later Willow hung up the phone. Tara had known about her uncle and the arrangement outlined in the will, which had made the conversation go as smoothly as possible. The two had agreed to meet Friday afternoon at her uncle’s farm to discuss what should be done. Although neither girl would admit it, they were both interested to meet that weekend. Willow thought the woman on the phone had a cute way of stuttering and Tara loved the way that Willow babbled her way through a sentence, eventually reaching some semblance of a point. All both women could think was that this weekend was going to be interesting.

--------------------

Friday finally came after a long week of work. Willow had decided to wear a pair of blue jeans with red converse sneakers and a long sleeved green shirt, going for a casual look. She drove towards her uncle’s farm, a slight nervous feeling creeping into her chest. Willow knew she shouldn’t be nervous though. Her uncle had liked this woman enough to leave her the farm at Willow’s discretion. Willow hoped that she could be friends with this woman. Their phone conversation had been enjoyable and Willow could only hope that their meeting in person would go as smoothly. For the rest of the ride, Willow mused inside her own head, and was pleasantly surprised when she reached the farm much quicker than she had expected. Willow drove up a dirt road and stopped the car in front of a quaint looking two-story house. There was a flourishing garden in the front and a porch with a swing and two rocking chairs on it. She briefly recalled sitting on the porch swing the last time she was here with her uncle.

Willow stepped out of the car with the intention of going to sit on the swing and wait for Tara, but a movement registered in the corner of her eye. Quickly whipping her head around towards the distraction, Willow realized that she should be running away. However, the best she could do was to stand there frozen while the thing moved closer to her. Finally, the idea to move reached her brain and her legs started moving backwards, until something blocked her progress any further. Reaching behind her, Willow felt the rough bark of a tree and without a moment’s hesitation, she turned and started to climb. Behind her, the thing was coming closer, and it was all Willow could do to not scream. The bark under Willow’s hands stung slightly, the calluses that had been the product of years of climbing trees having worn off with childhood. When Willow finally reached a point in her climbing that she felt was a safe enough distance away from the beast, she chanced a look downwards.

There, about ten feet below her, stood a jet black horse. The animal was munching on some grass at the base of the tree, and as he looked upwards he gave her a bored look. This just fueled Willow’s fear more, imagining that at any moment the horse would sprout wings and fly up the tree to gnaw her arms off. The terror finally flooded her body and Willow started hyperventilating. Slowly losing the strength in her limbs to hold her to the tree, Willow’s grasp slipped and she briefly wondered if the ground would hurt when she hit it. However, the expected impact never came as Willow felt herself being held up by a pair of strong arms. The last thing Willow saw before the world slipped away was a goddess with blonde hair and blue eyes.

--------------------

Looking out her bedroom window, Tara decided it was going to be a good day. The morning sun peeked through the drapes and refreshed Tara almost more than a morning cup of coffee, but the beautiful weather wasn’t Tara’s only cause for excitement. She had to admit, she was looking forward to meeting with David’s niece and maybe adding a friend to her exceedingly small social circle. As it was, Tara mostly only had casual acquaintances, usually from her visits to the stores in town. She only had two real friends, and now she didn’t even have David anymore. Tara let her mind drift back to several years earlier, when she had just moved to the small town outside of Sunnydale from an even smaller town in Oregon.

Tara had been making the rounds to her neighbor’s homes, bearing brownies and a friendly face. She was hoping that her introductions would lead her to a new friend, or at the very least some new clients. Tara was a horse trainer, one of the best if you asked any of her past clients. She knew that with all of the farms in this town, there had to be at least a couple of people who needed a trainer, either now or in the future. As she rang the doorbell of a blue, two- story farmhouse, she quickly checked her appearance. The blue jeans and white button down shirt were respectable enough, although the sneakers she wore were more for their comfort than their style. The door opened to reveal a man around fifty years old with short, red hair.

“H-Hello, I’m Tara Maclay and I’m just here to i-i-introduce myself. I just moved in…”

“Into the old Finn place.” The man interrupted. He shrugged and said, “It’s a small town,” as if that explained everything. “By the way, I’m David Rosenberg.”

“It’s n-nice to meet you, sir,” Tara replied with sincerity that David hadn’t expected.

“Well, I can tell already that I’m gonna like you much more than the man that used to live in your new house.” Then, lowering his voice to a whisper as if the house would suddenly grow ears and listen to his secrets, he said, “That guy was sort of a jerk.”

As it turns out, Tara and David had formed a very fast friendship. Not only did they become friends, but David was also Tara’s best client. He was constantly buying new horses and so Tara had been a godsend. She was always willing to train the new animals and she always did an amazing job. Her only other good friend was Nathan Whitley. Nate ran the feed store that Tara frequented, and after visiting so many times the two started talking about more than just the weather and became friends, best friends even. Nate had an interest in horses as well and owned a colt that Tara had trained for him, free of charge, as a birthday present two years ago. Nate, Tara, and David had formed a tight nit circle, bonding over mutual interests. Thinking about David left a sad smile on her face, so before she could further reminisce she left her bed and went to the dresser across the room. Throwing on a pair of hip hugger jeans and a blue short-sleeved shirt, Tara went down the stairs to start making herself breakfast. As soon as she opened the door to the kitchen, a black blur darted forwards and landed on top of her, pushing her back into the hallway.

“Sparks!” the blonde yelled, trying to reprimand the black German Sheppard, but laughing instead. “You know you’re not supposed to jump on people.” As the blonde stopped giggling, the dog got off of Tara and sat at the entrance to the kitchen. At 95 pounds, the dog looked like it could eat any attacker, but in actuality he was a big baby. The German Sheppard had belonged to David, and after knowing him for so long, Tara had thought it was only natural that she take care of Sparks. Finally regaining her breath, Tara entered the kitchen, with Sparks trailing behind her, eager to receive his breakfast.

After a small meal of toast, scrambled eggs, and coffee for Tara and a big bowl of dog food for Sparks, Tara went around the house doing the morning chores. An hour later, she left the house and went outside to the stables. They were modest, but as soon as Tara could save up enough money, they would be extended in order to accommodate more horses. Of course, if Willow agreed to sell her David’s property, then the money she had already saved would be used to purchase the farm instead.

A couple of hours later, with all of the chores finished and Sparks sleeping peacefully in a pile of hay, Tara left the stables and went back to the house. She grabbed her keys off the kitchen table and got into her blue pick-up truck. The drive to David’s house was less than five minutes away and Tara felt a fluttering in her chest, knowing that she would be meeting Willow very soon. As she pulled up to the house, Tara saw that another car was already there. Checking her watch, she realized that Willow must have come a little early. Tara stopped her car next to Willow’s and opened the door. Looking around quickly, Tara noticed one of the horses standing near the base of a large tree near the front of the house. Briefly wondering how the animal had gotten out of its stall, she walked over to the horse, intending to bring him back to the stables. As she reached the horse, she felt the sudden urge to look up into the tree and gasped at what she saw. There, about ten feet up the tree, was a woman with red hair clinging to the branches for dear life. At least she was, until a split second later when the woman released her grip and started to fall. Before Tara had the time to think, she had stretched out her arms and had gracefully caught the girl. Tara stumbled back a little with the impact, but somehow was able to remain standing. Looking down, she saw dark green eyes stare up at her before they closed and the woman went limp.

---------------

I hope everyone liked the first chapter. There is more to come...

Find out in Speak Easy

Last edited by tazraven on Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: AU Fic - Chemistry
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:33 am 
2. Floating Rose

this is gonna be a cute story. i'm already looking forward to more!

sionan

Post subject: Re: New AU Fic - Chemistry
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:06 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

ok I am a sucker sweet storys !!!!!!! I love it already :bounce more soon please.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:45 am 
3. Flaming O

Cool, wicked story so far. :party hopefully the cuteness will continue soon please!!! :peace

Hannah

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:49 pm 
9. Gay Now

I'll have a new chapter posted for ya'll soon :peace

~Sara

Find out in Speak Easy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:23 pm 
5. Willowhand

This is a very nice beginning. I look forward to seeing where you take it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:34 pm 
9. Gay Now

Alright, here's the second chapter for everyone. Hope you all like it :peace

Feedback: If you don’t have something nice to say, put it in a letter and send it to me anyways.
Summary: A chemistry professor and a horse trainer meet and the sparks fly. I think I suck at summaries.
Rating: It gets a little into the PG-13 or R category in this chapter.
Author's Notes: Alright, fair warning. There is alot of angst, I’m not gonna lie. Also, there’s a slightly enormous cliff hanger at the end of the chapter.

Chemistry

Chapter 2

A whistling broke Willow’s unplanned slumber, and the fog lifted slowly from her mind. She was laid down on a sofa, which she vaguely recognized. As the haze fully dissipated, Willow realized that she was on her uncle’s sofa and covered with a thick down blanket. As Willow got her bearings, a woman walked into the room carrying two mugs. Willow sat transfixed. It was her; the woman she had thought was a hysteria induced dream. Upon seeing that Willow was awake, she sat down next to the couch on a wooden chair. Willow continued to stare, very non-discretely, until she realized that the woman was talking to her.

Oh. My. God. I didn’t imagine her. Yes! Oh, wait. It doesn’t matter anyways. So your dream girl is real. It’s not like that makes it any more likely that she would go for you. You’re a dork, Rosenberg. Stop babbling and pay attention.

“Hey. How are y-y-you doing?” Tara asked hesitantly, while she handed Willow a mug full of steaming tea. Quickly, Willow looked downwards at the mug in her hand, hoping that she hadn’t been caught. Blushing slightly, Willow took a sip of the tea before answering.

“Um, I think I’m doing ok, though I am a little confused, not to mention mortally embarrassed. I remember an evil horse, then a tree, and then me falling. But I didn’t fall, because the last thing I remember seeing was your beautifu…” Willow immediately stopped talking and tried to amend her statement. “Erm, I mean, the last thing I remember seeing was you, and now I’m here.”

Fortunately for Willow, her slip-up didn’t register with Tara. The blonde was too busy staring at the red-head’s lips as she talked. All she wanted to do was lean forward and swiftly capture the woman’s mouth with her own.

She’s talking Tara. Focus on the words, not her lips. Focus somewhere else. Focus!

Realizing that if she stared any longer at this woman’s lips her day dream might become an awkward reality, she moved her eyes to Willow’s and focused back on the conversation. Catching the tail-end of Willow’s explanation, Tara’s mouth curled into a half-smile.

“I’m g-glad you’re doing alright.” Then, adding in a quieter tone, “You had me worried.”

Willow gave Tara a brilliant smile. “Yup, that’s me. All with the alrightness. No need for any worries here. Worry free zone.” Willow sat silently for a moment before deciding to express her gratitude to Tara. “Thank you for saving me. If you hadn’t been there, I definitely would have been horse food by now. So, thank you, for being my hero and all.” Willow blushed, but continued to grin.

Tara returned the smile and the two gazed at each other for a few moments before Tara broke the connection and dropped her gaze, blonde hair falling in front of her face in the process.

Goddess, she’s beautiful. Both Willow and Tara had the same thought, though neither woman would ever admit it.

Tara decided to break the silence. “I, um, I just r-realized that you might not be the person I think you are, though w-w-with the red hair it would be p-pretty coincidental if you weren’t D-David’s n-niece…” Tara trailed off, giving Willow a chance to confirm her assumption.

“Oh! Yes, I am definitely his niece, Willow Rosenberg, and I’m guessing you’re Tara?” Or at least hoping, Willow added silently.

“Tara Maclay. It’s n-nice to meet you, Willow.” Tentatively, Tara put out her hand. Willow grasped the hand that was offered and the two women stared into each other’s eyes, neither realizing that they were not shaking hands, but merely sitting there holding each other. The moment was broken by the harsh sound of a phone ringing. Tara reluctantly withdrew her hand, immediately missing the intimacy, and stood up. Setting her mug on the coffee table, she walked over to her purse that sat near the door and rummaged through it before pulling out a cell phone. She answered the call and left the room to be polite.

Willow could only lie on the couch and stare after Tara. She could still feel the warm touch of Tara’s hand on her own. Her hand had been strong and slightly rough, probably from years of farm work, but at the same time one of the gentlest grips Willow had ever felt. Willow could only imagine Tara’s hands caressing her cheek, her back, her thighs. Bringing her mind back from her obviously irrational fantasies, Willow was able to catch bits and pieces of Tara’s phone call.

“Yes, the f-f-funeral is tomorrow at ten o’clock. Alright, see you then.” Tara ended the call and walked back into the room, placing the phone back into her purse on the way back to her chair. She picked up the mug and took a sip of the hot tea, savoring the feeling of the liquid running down her throat to calm her nerves. Chancing a look at Willow, Tara once again was struck by the beauty of the woman before her. Willow returned the gaze as azure eyes stared into emerald. Had someone else walked into the room, the tension would have been immediately evident, but the two women were oblivious to it. Letting her eyes leave the blonde’s for a moment, Willow looked slightly to the left at the wall clock situated behind Tara and jumped up suddenly. The world spun for a moment as Willow tried to regain her sense of balance.

Tara was surprised when Willow jumped off the couch, but as Willow began to pitch forward, she stood up as well and held out her arms to help steady the red-head. The two stood still for a moment, Tara’s arms around Willow’s small waist and Willow’s arms resting on top of Tara’s shoulders. Willow could feel the warmth of Tara’s body as the beautiful blonde held her up. With neither woman feeling brave enough to look at the other, the two ladies stepped backwards, with Tara holding her arms around Willow a second longer to make sure she was balanced. After confirming that the red-head was stable, Tara dropped her hands to her side and once again dropped her eyes, hiding her blushing cheeks in the process.

“Wow. I, I mean with the spinning. Cause, ya…” For once, Willow could not think of anything to say. At least, until she remembered the reason she had stood up so quickly in the first place. “Tara, I just realized that it’s really late and I have to go home and get some work done before tomorrow. And I’m really sorry that we didn’t really get to talk, because of me with all the dumb passing out and the stupid horse. Evil horses should really be locked up. I mean, who would let that evil animal out? Unless it was you, in which case it was totally not stupid and I’m gonna shut up now…”

Willow looked at Tara, who was wearing an amused half-smile. Willow’s breath caught in her throat as she fixed her eyes on Tara’s face. “Sorry,” Willow croaked out. “I, um, I sort of do that sometimes. Feel free to ignore me.”

Tara giggled softly before responding. “It’s fine, W-Willow. It’s actually sort of… cute.” Realizing what she had just admitted, Tara blushed but continued to speak. “A-anyways, don’t w-worry about the, um, f-f-fainting.” Knowing that the two would eventually have to talk about the will and that they wouldn’t get a chance to the next day, Tara decided to be bold. “We c-could maybe meet again? I know the f-funeral is tomorrow, b-but maybe we could m-meet on Sunday?”

Please say yes, please say yes, please say-

“Yes. That sounds good to me, Tara. How about we meet here around eleven?” Willow knew that this meeting was about the will, but she couldn’t help but be excited at the prospect of seeing Tara again.

Tara agreed and the two walked out to their respective vehicles. Willow fumbled with her keys, trying to discretely watch Tara one more time before she had to leave. Tara stood by her truck, fishing her keys out of her pocket, before she decided to use the last bit of courage she had reserved for emergencies.

“Willow?” Willow looked up at the sound of her name, vaguely thinking that it had never sounded so amazing. “It w-was really nice to meet you.” Tara dropped her head and then added softly, “I, um, I would happily save you any day.” Without waiting for the response, Tara opened the door to her truck and started the engine. As she drove away, she heard Willow call after her, saying that she would see her tomorrow. For the rest of the night, both Tara and Willow wore grins that couldn’t have been wiped off even if someone had tried.

---------------

The funeral on Saturday passed solemnly. Willow and Tara acknowledged one another, both whispering words of apology about the unfortunate passing of David Rosenberg. After the ceremony, Tara left while Willow stayed behind to spend more time with her extended family. A couple of hours later, Willow returned home with Buffy and they went to their respective rooms to digest the events of the day.

Willow awoke at nine the next morning with a smile on her face, knowing that in just a few hours she would be seeing Tara again. She let her mind wander towards thoughts of Tara as she tried to sort out her feelings. She knew that she liked the blonde; that was for certain. She was sweet and shy, and it didn’t hurt matters that she was absolutely breathtaking. It was a crush, but a strong one nevertheless, and she hoped that Tara felt it too. Willow had known she was a strictly girl-on-girl type of girl since her junior year of high school. She had never had a boyfriend or a girlfriend, but she knew. She had known ever since Cordelia’s birthday party, which to this day she had no idea how she had been invited. She giggled softly at the thought of the party.

Cordelia and her friends were sitting in a circle on the floor. They had all gone to Cordelia’s room for the slumber part of the celebration and had instead decided to do what usually happened at slumber parties; they decided not to sleep. So, instead of resting, the girls were huddled in a circle, speaking in loud whispers, playing truth or dare. Willow was clad in pink flannel pajamas with black cow spots all over them. Seated on the floor next to her was Buffy, looking infinitely more stylish in her blue pajama pants and white tank top, though the fact that she was tightly clutching her stuffed pig made the whole ensemble seem a bit more juvenile. Willow sat, hands clasped in her lap, inwardly fretting about the choice she would inevitably have to make.

‘Truth or dare,’ the red-head mused. Almost everyone else had chosen truth, but for once Willow decided to be bold. As Cordelia finished telling everyone about the secret crush she had on Jonathon in the 8th grade, she turned to Willow and asked her.

“Truth or dare Willow?”

“Dare.” A couple of the girls squealed, happy that someone had taken the road less traveled. Cordelia looked thoughtful for a second before breaking out in a devilish grin. Thoroughly pleased with the dare she had come up with, she looked around the circle quickly before speaking.

“I dare you to kiss one of the girls here. And it has to be a real kiss, not one of those quick kisses on the cheek.” A couple of the girls oohed and aahed, thinking that the shy red-head might not go through with it. Willow looked nervous for a second, wondering who she was going to pick and thinking that she probably should have picked truth, but then she realized that since Cordelia was the one who suggested it, she should be the one to revel in the dare’s glory. Without giving it a second thought she stood up and strode purposefully over to Cordelia. She sat down in front of her and, without a warning, pushed her head forward and brushed her lips across Cordelia’s. They stayed that way for a moment, until Willow took Cordelia’s suggestion to heart and deepened the kiss, pushing her tongue forward and into the other girl’s surprised mouth. Oddly enough, she felt Cordelia start to kiss her back and the two kissed for what seemed like an eternity to Willow. She reveled in how soft the other girl’s mouth was, and then slowly realized that she was actually enjoying the kiss. Willow knew then that the only lips she wanted to kiss were that of another woman’s. Slowly, Willow pulled away, leaving a slightly disheveled Cordelia looking back at her with surprise and arousal?

Before she had a chance to think about it, the rest of the girls in the circle started clapping, happy that someone was brave enough to complete the dare. Willow stood up and went back to her place, pleased with her new revelations. She wasn’t nervous about her new discovery, but rather she was actually relieved. She had always thought she was weird when other boys didn’t interest her. Now, however, it all actually made sense. She felt Buffy clap her on the back and then the game continued, with Willow passing the question on to Buffy.

Later that week, Willow told Buffy the conclusion that she had come to. Oddly enough, the petite blonde had smiled knowingly. “I was wondering how long it would take you to figure that out.” With a mischievous glint in her eye, she continued. “By the way, Cordelia says you’re a great kisser.” With that, Buffy turned around and left Willow, who was standing with her mouth agape with a slight blush on her cheek, and tossed an impish smile over her shoulder.

Of course, it was all well and good to know you’re a lesbian, but to put the idea into practice was another matter entirely. Willow had dated exactly one person, in college, and needless to say it did not go well. The woman was too much of an animal in the bed, and unfortunately one out of it as well. After that experience, it seemed that she always had work to do, papers to catch up on, or research to continue. In fact, she had almost forgotten what it was like to be heavily attracted to another woman, given that she did not have time for more than friendly acquaintances. Of course, all that had changed on Friday, after meeting Tara Maclay. Realizing that she had spent the better part of an hour lost in her own thoughts, Willow jumped off the bed and hastily dressed, throwing on a pair of olive cargo pants and a red shirt with three-quarter length sleeves. She finished getting ready and paused just long enough to grab a granola bar and a cup of coffee before heading out the door and into her car. An hour later she pulled up to her uncle’s house, parking next to the pick-up truck that was already there. Willow slowly checked the land around her for demon horses before stepping out of her car. She smiled brightly when she saw Tara standing on the porch. The blonde was wearing tight jeans and a blue button down shirt. The top two buttons were undone, making Willow’s eyes bulge slightly, and then she realized that she was looking straight at Tara’s chest. She dragged her eyes upwards to Tara’s face and waved.

“Hey Tara.”

Tara smiled back at her before answering. “Hi Willow.” She looked at her, noting that Willow looked absolutely beautiful today. Her red shirt looked incredible on her and clung to all the right places, the color making her hair appear even more vibrant. She took a shaky breath before continuing. “I was thinking that if y-you wanted, we could t-take a tour of the f-farm. I’m not sure w-when the last time you saw the property w-was.”

“That sounds great. The last time I was here was years ago and I’d like to look at the place before making my decision, though I can honestly tell you that I have no idea how to take care of a farm and as you can obviously already tell,” Willow blushed before continuing, “I’m not really a big fan of horses either. So, it’s pretty much a sure thing that the farm is yours.” Willow took a large lungful of air after her explanation and saw Tara’s smile grow wider.

They began to walk around the property slowly, both women reveling in the other’s company. Willow snuck frequent looks at the blonde, noting the curve of her cheekbones and the gentle slope of her nose. She loved listening to Tara talk and noted happily that her stutter seemed to disappear while she talked about the farm with confidence. Tara couldn’t help herself from peeking at Willow, try as she might in fear of being caught. The woman was beautiful. Her green eyes shone brightly whenever she laughed as the red hair atop her head bounced around her shoulders. Tara couldn’t help but smile in the company of this woman, almost as if it was impossible for a frown to grace her features while listening to Willow tell a story, using her hands to animate a particularly interesting part. As they walked towards the stables, Tara saw Willow shudder. Before she could stop herself, Tara decided to tease the beautiful red-head. “We’ll just s-skip the stables, unless you have an urge to pass out again?”

Willow grinned sheepishly. She shook her head vehemently, already feeling slightly dizzy just from being around the blonde. “Nope, no passing out today.” Unless you feel the urge to kiss me, Willow told herself. Then it might be lights out for this girl.

The tour ended as the women returned to the porch. Willow sat down on the swing while Tara sat down in a rocking chair near her. “Tara, I really loved this farm when I was younger, and I loved my uncle dearly; but, I think if anyone deserves this farm, it’s you. You obviously loved my uncle, and I know his farm will be in good hands.”

Tara didn’t know what to say. She smiled widely while her eyes glistened with unshed tears. This was what she had always wanted; a place for her to fully enjoy training horses and a beautiful house to live in while doing just that. She was only sad that her dream came with the loss of one of her dearest friends. “Th-thankyou Willow. It means a lot that you’re w-willing to sell his farm to m-m-me.” She picked up Willow’s hand and squeezed it briefly as she tried to convey all of her gratitude within this simple touch. She let go of Willow’s hand and returned her own to her lap. Tara dropped her head forwards and allowed her blonde hair to cover her face in an attempt to hide misty eyes.

Willow looked at Tara and felt her heart beat erratically at the beauty in front of her. She stretched out her hand and brushed away the hair that curtained the blonde’s face. Moving her other hand, she gently grasped Tara’s chin, pulling her face up. Looking into the deep blue eyes, Willow felt herself grow bolder. “Why do you do that? I can’t see your beautiful face if you hide.” Willow’s eyes shone with the affection that she felt for the blonde, and saw that same warmth reflected back at her from dark blue eyes. She slowly moved forwards, tilting her head downwards as she neared Tara’s face. As she reached Tara’s lips, she paused briefly; looking into Tara’s eyes to make sure this was what she wanted. Seeing no resistance, Willow closed the distance and brushed her lips softly against Tara’s. Her lips moved against the other woman’s and she felt the blonde return the kiss. They never broke contact as Willow slowly stood up and moved the rest of her body towards Tara, wanting to be closer. She ran her tongue across Tara’s top lip, silently asking for entrance. She felt Tara open her mouth slightly and Willow gently slid her tongue in, shivering faintly at the feeling of Tara’s warm mouth.

“Willow?” Willow blinked and glanced around her. She was still sitting on the swing but now she was blushing furiously. Tara looked at her with a quizzical expression on her face. She hadn’t known what to do when she had seen Willow just staring at her, a silly grin across her face. At first she had thought that Willow was just happy with her decision, but as her gaze refused to move for at least a minute, Tara decided to make sure the red-head was alright. “Are y-you ok?”

Willow nodded slowly, still mortally embarrassed with the thoughts that had been running through her mind. Jeez Willow! You can’t even wait until you leave before letting loose with the crazy fantasies? Get a grip and speak! “Sorry about that. I was just thinking, about chemistry! Chemistry, because I have this project that I’m working on and I realized that I should have taken some data before I left on Friday, but it’s all right because I’m sure one of the grad students did it. So, no worries here!” Willow smiled slightly, inwardly chastising herself for coming up with such a faulty excuse, but she breathed a sigh of relief when Tara smiled and seemed to believe her. Tara stood up and Willow followed suit. Both of them stood awkwardly on the porch before Willow spoke.

“We should go to dinner,” Willow blurted out before she had a chance to restrain herself. Tara’s eyes grew wide before Willow hastily tried to backtrack. “To celebrate, the whole selling of the farm thing. I mean, dinner is always good, and people have to eat. And we’re people, and even better, we have a reason to celebrate. So, we should go to dinner.”

Tara’s lips curled into a crooked smile before she laughed softly. “I’d like that.”

Willow flashed a thousand watt grin and backed towards her car. “Alright then. I’ll call you and we can arrange a time and place.” Mentally patting herself on the back for keeping her response to less than fifty words, Willow waved and turned towards her car. She opened the door and started the engine, waving at Tara once more before driving off the property. Tara sat back down in the rocking chair and sighed, letting images of Willow run through her mind, all the while beaming.

---------------

Just do it. It’s simple. Ten little numbers, that’s all it is. Willow glared at the phone in her hand. She had arrived back at the house an hour after leaving her uncle’s farm. After a couple hours of giving herself a pep talk, she had decided to try and give Tara a call. Something had changed today. It had only been a short while, but already Willow was starting to feel something more than a crush; she was falling in like with the woman. Now, all she had to do was arrange the dinner and try and discern whether or not Tara felt something too. She started dialing with renewed gusto, this time getting to the sixth number before hanging it up. All right. You got six of them this time. Just four more and you’ll get to talk to Tara. Willow brightly smiled at the thought of Tara and decided to give it another try. Alright, 1-2-3-4-5-6…

---------------

Tara opened the front door of her home to the sound of a phone ringing. She dropped the groceries in the kitchen and grabbed the phone of the wall. Before answering she took a deep breath and smiled in the hopes that it was Willow on the other end of the line. Breathing deeply once more, she answered the phone. “Hello?”

“Hello, is this Ms. Maclay I’m speaking to?”

Tara’s smile faltered slightly at the sound of a man’s voice coming through the phone, but she reasoned that Willow could still call later. Tara told the man that he was speaking to the right person and he continued.

“Hello Ms. Maclay. My name is Michael Worthington and I’m calling on behalf of my employer, Mr. John Stevenson. Mr. Stevenson has heard about you from several acquaintances and would like to offer you a job.” Michael spoke in an almost monotone voice, but still held a respectful tone. “He has a new racing horse that needs training and he would like you to be that trainer.” Before Tara could ask a question, Michael had started talking again. “The horse will need to begin his training as soon as possible, so if you do decide to take the job, you will have to leave tomorrow morning. While Mr. Stevenson does not live in California, he has made it clear that no expense should be spared in case you decide to take the job offer. His private jet will be flown to the airport nearest to you for the trip. You will also be paid handsomely.”

Michael calmly told Tara a number that made her eyes grow wide. Gulping several times to wet her exceedingly dry mouth, Tara tried to speak. She managed to squeak once before trying again. “How long would I be gone?” Tara knew that this was a once in a lifetime chance, but she couldn’t help but feel distressed at the thought of missing her dinner with Willow, regardless that it had yet to be planned. Tara heard the man on the phone breathe before answering her question.

“At least a year.”

“Oh.” Tara could only utter the one syllable as she thought about the offer laid before her. With the money she could make from this job, she would have enough to more than take care of David’s farm, her house, and still have a great deal left over; enough to keep her comfortable without having to worry during the times when work was slow. Then she thought about Willow; it was too hard not to. She saw Willow clearly in her mind, piercing green eyes and an adorable smile lighting up the red-head’s face. Tara thought about the dinner Willow had asked her to, and she thought about the small touches they had shared during their first meeting. She had felt a spark when she had looked into Willow’s green eyes, but Tara also knew that the relationship she wanted with Willow was impossible. Willow was gorgeous, funny, smart, and adorable beyond words. Tara knew that while her feelings for Willow had developed well past the point of friendship that was all Willow could ever offer her. However, even as she told herself all of these things, she couldn’t help but feel a small surge of hope. Hope that maybe the beautiful red-head felt what Tara was feeling; hope that maybe these feelings would be reciprocated; hope that when she looked into Willow’s eyes, she would see the same warmth that Tara felt for her. Knowing what she had to do, Tara took a gulp of air and told the man her decision.

---------------

Willow hung up the phone after her eighth try. She had finally found the courage to dial all ten numbers, but had gotten a busy signal. Sighing dejectedly, Willow put the phone down and walked over to her research materials. She made the decision to get some work done tonight and call Tara tomorrow. After several hours of writing, Willow put down her pens and closed her laptop. She changed into her pajamas and crawled into bed. As she closed her eyes, she saw visions of Tara. Willow fell asleep smiling, knowing that she would find the courage to call Tara and ask her to dinner the next day.

---------------

Nathan Whitley was awoken from his peaceful dreaming by the shrill ring of a telephone. He tried to push the sound out of his mind before another ring brought him out of the fog and into the darkness of his bedroom. He blindly reached out and turned on the lamp that sat on his nightstand. Reaching out once more, his hand grabbed the object making the noise and pressed the talk button.

“Hey?” His bleary greeting was answered by a stream of words the rushed past his ear too fast for him to catch any of it. He faintly recognized the voice on the phone as Tara’s as he told her to slow down and try again. The second time through the explanation, Nathan woke up fully in order to grasp what was being said. “They’re gonna pay you how much?!”

“Exactly,” Tara said. “I just can’t pass up this opportunity Nate. You know how much I need this, even if I have to go for a while.” Nate nodded his head even though Tara couldn’t see it. He knew that Tara was one of the best trainers out there, but business did get slow sometimes.

“I can’t believe it Tara, but a year? I’m gonna miss you so much kid.” Even though Nate looked like what many would consider a man’s man, he was a big softy on the inside. His eyes moistened slightly at the thought of not seeing Tara for at least a year.

“I’m gonna miss you too sweetie, so much, but I’m actually calling for another reason as well. I need you to look after mine and David’s house. I trust you, and I’ll be making more than enough money to cover any expenses and to pay you for helping me out.”

“Of course I’ll help you out Tara. You know you can count on me.” Nate smiled at Tara’s request. He could never deny her anything, and she knew it.

Tara breathed a sigh of relief as Nate accepted her request. “Oh, Nate, I need you to do me one more big favor.” Tara’s joy left her body quickly, dreading the favor she was about to ask. “I need y-you to call W-Willow for me, and tell her about th-this.” Nate heard Tara’s stutter re-emerge and knew something was wrong. She hadn’t stuttered around him for years, and hearing the nervousness in her voice made him worry. Tara had told him about Willow, and he had loved hearing the happiness that she couldn’t conceal when she talked about this woman. He had known about Tara’s preference for women for a long time, and it didn’t bother him in the slightest. However, in all the time he had known her, Tara had never had a girlfriend. He was overjoyed when Willow had entered her life, and he had hoped for the best for them. Nate knew that if Willow ever really got to know Tara, she wouldn’t be able to help but love her.

“Tara, why don’t you call her? You can explain this better…”

“N-No. I can’t Nate. I just c-can’t talk to h-her, knowing that I’ll b-be gone for s-so long. I can’t.” Tara’s voice shook with sobs that threatened to overtake her. Nate cut in before Tara could break down.

“Of course kid. You know I can’t say no to you.” Nathan paused before continuing. “It’ll be all right Tara. She likes you, I know she does. And you never know; she might be waiting for your return.” Nathan smiled sadly, hoping that Willow would wait.

Tara’s eyes cleared and she gave a small smile that didn’t reach her eyes. She knew all too well what she was giving up and would probably never have. “Thanks Nate,” she said quietly. She hung up the phone and cried softly for what may have been minutes or hours. Tara knew she shouldn’t be acting like this, but something had changed today. It wasn’t love, but it wasn’t just a silly crush anymore either.

No, she told herself, knowing that it was the only way she would be able to leave. It’s just a silly crush. With that, Tara walked up to her bedroom, pulled a suitcase out of the closet, and began packing.

---------------

Willow moaned softly as Tara nibbled on her earlobe. Her lips left Willow’s ear and began trailing little kisses down her neck towards her collarbone. Willow arched her hips up, trying to convey to Tara her extreme need. She felt Tara smile into her neck and resume her kissing. Willow was breathing heavily, gripping the side of the couch with her right hand and Tara’s head with her left. She didn’t know how long she would have to wait before Tara released her from this amazing torture, but she knew it couldn’t be much longer. Tara was breathing heavily as well, sharing in the passionate feelings that she was causing in Willow. The red-head couldn’t take it anymore. Willow pulled Tara’s head upwards and took her lips in a fierce kiss. They moved their mouths against each other, both woman struggling for dominance with their tongues. Their breathing grew labored and they finally broke apart. Willow stared at Tara with a hunger in her eyes. Suddenly, she rolled Tara over and they fell to the floor with a thud.

Willow opened her eyes, expecting to find a heavily panting Tara, but instead found the amused face of Buffy. It started with a small giggle, but after a minute of trying to hold it in, Buffy burst out laughing. Willow looked at her quizzically and then waited for Buffy to catch her breath so that she could kill her. Buffy finally stopped laughing long enough for her to explain.

“Wow Will. Took you long enough.” She giggled once more, remembering Willow falling out of bed, and then started again. “I’ve been trying to wake you up for fifteen minutes. It’s lucky you fell out of bed; thirty more seconds and you were going to get doused with cold water.” To prove her point, Buffy pulled a cup of cold water from behind her back. “So… who’s Tara?”

Willow’s expression took on a shocked appearance as she wondered how Buffy knew about Tara. She hadn’t told Buffy anything about her yet. The bubbly blonde laughed again, not making it any secret how much she enjoyed teasing Willow. “In your sleep, you kept saying Tara. Well, moaning Tara was more like it…” Buffy trailed off, thoroughly appreciating the wide eyed look she had caused.

Willow stood up and tried desperately to remove the stunned look from her face. After hitting Buffy playfully on the arm, she told her who Tara was. While she didn’t go into exquisite detail about how much she liked Tara, it was hard to keep the joy out of her voice when she talked about her. Buffy listened, smiling at Willow’s clarification.

About time, Buffy thought happily. Willow needed a someone in her life, and Buffy just hoped that Tara could be that someone. She waged an internal war for a moment before deciding to tease the red-head one more time. “Well Will, I gotta say, she must be special if she made you late.”

“What?!” Willow looked at the clock next to her bed and saw that she had ten minutes to get ready. She sprinted to the bathroom and got ready in record time. Before leaving, she glared at Buffy and the blonde smiled sheepishly. Willow grabbed the cup of coffee Buffy had made for her and they both left hurriedly, trying not to be later than they already were.

---------------

The day passed quickly for both women and by dinner time they were exhausted. Willow and Buffy both flopped down onto the couch before looking at each other, coming to the same conclusion. “Take-out,” they both said with a grin. Buffy wearily stood up from the couch and walked over to the phone.

---------------

Nate picked up the phone and dialed Willow’s number. On a list of things he wanted to do, this was definitely at the bottom, but Tara had asked him to and he wasn’t going to deny her a request. The ringing stopped and a woman’s voice came through the phone. He was dreading this conversation, but that didn’t stop him from asking for Willow.

---------------

Buffy walked over to the couch and handed the phone to Willow without saying a word. Willow’s grin widened even more and she took the phone from Buffy’s hand. It wasn’t Tara. It was a young man calling on behalf of the blonde. He sounded to be in his mid-twenties and Willow felt a surge of jealousy and sorrow rise up in her, jumping to the conclusion that this man was probably her boyfriend. The grin slid off her face, landing in a frown. She listened as the man on the phone told her that Tara was going to be gone for at least a year. Willow slowly realized what he had said. Her frown was joined by silent tears as she thanked the man for the message and hung up the phone. She looked at Buffy and the blonde rushed over to her, gathering her best friend into her arms. Buffy didn’t know what had happened, but that didn’t matter right now. All that mattered was holding Willow until she didn’t want to be held anymore. That didn’t happen for several hours.

Chapter 3 should be posted in a couple of days at the most. I hope the cliffhanger isn't too much for everyone...

~Sara

Find out in Speak Easy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:42 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

dibs aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what a twist , what a cliffhanger :pray soon please

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:12 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Topics: 1
Hey Taz! Want to tell you I'm loving this story. I'm a sucker for Tara with horses stories. I love how you're moving this along. Also loving Willow's nice little daydreams and of course, her night dreams.

I'm hoping Tara's being away for a year can be fixed somehow, cause that would just suck. I wish Tara would have called her herself though. It was crappy enough news to hear from Tara, much less a total stranger.

Can't wait to read what you have for us next time!

Wimpy

"There was plenty of magic." ~~ Tara

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:10 pm 
5. Willowhand

I'm really liking this story. But boy, what a cliffhanger. You great big meanie you. ;) I'm looking forward to the update, and can only hope that it won't be too angsty. Otherwise, I might cry like a tiny baby girl. It happens, great big wussy that I am.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:02 pm 
18. Breast Gal

Topics: 4
Cliffhanger! :paranoid How are they going to get around this? Will it really be a year before they see each other again? On the up side, Willow climbing the tree in panic was hilarious :lmao I like how you use short scenes too, they give a great sense of scope to the story - make it feel cinematic, if you get what I mean.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:27 pm 
3. Flaming O

Ooh I love it! So more please, this is really good! :dance

**And that's how we raise the dead in Ericaland."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:26 pm 
9. Gay Now

Alrighty then... Here's chapter three. The rest of the story will be coming a bit slower than the first three chapters, seeing as I'm in the process of writing them. Please pay attention to the author's note...

Rating: PG-13
Author's Notes: Willow and Tara goodness will commence after some serious angst. Once again, serious angst... You have been warned.

Chemistry

Chapter 3

It is said that time is relative. After spending one year away from home, Tara Maclay sincerely believed this. The previous year had gone by with both agonizing slothfulness and incredible speed. It had all depended on what she was thinking about at the time. If Tara had only been totally focused on the job at hand, the year would not have seemed to go by so slowly. Unfortunately, she was not always entirely focused. Willow had wormed her way into her heart and thoughts, making some days drag on forever. On those days it was impossible to push those thoughts out of her head. If absence made the heart grow fonder, then Tara’s heart was bursting. Her logical mind reasoned that she had only spent two days with Willow, but her heart didn’t care. After leaving abruptly one year ago, Tara had done some serious soul searching. It had taken her months to realize why she was feeling so sad about leaving her “crush.”

Yea, right. That was a good one, Maclay. Crush my ass. And it only took you three months to realize why you could barely breathe whenever you thought about her; even though by all accounts you should have been having an amazing time.

Tara had left one year ago on a private jet that had taken her directly to a beautiful estate owned by John Stevenson. For the first month, she had stayed in a gorgeous guest house training an amazing race horse, and getting paid handsomely for her expertise. After that month she had toured the United States with Mr. Stevenson and his horse, staying in the best hotels and dining in the best restaurants. This was the Holy Grail to any horse trainer, and yet whenever Tara had stopped working, even for a few minutes, her mind would quickly turn to thoughts of the beautiful red-head that she had given up any chance with. Regardless that she probably hadn’t had any chance with her in the first place, it didn’t make her heart break any less. Three months had passed when Tara had finally realized why she was in so much pain; why a glimpse of red made her heart skip a beat; why she couldn’t look someone in their eyes if they were green.

Willow. I’m in love with Willow.

And of course, once you figured this out, you didn’t jump on the first plane back to Sunnydale. You didn’t take a chance and bare your soul. You just stayed there, training a horse. Real brave Tara, real brave.

Tara opened the front door of her house, what had once been David’s home, and dropped her various bags on the floor. One month after leaving, Nate had helped Tara sell her old house and then had moved all of her belongings into David’s. Nate had gone over everyday for the past year, feeding and taking care of her horses and Sparks. She had called him often, usually when she was in a ‘Willow’ mood, as Nate had termed them, which hadn’t lead to uplifting phone conversations for either party. But he had been there for her, surpassing all the requirements of a best friend. When Tara had called Nate after realizing the depth of her feelings, he had asked her a question. At the time, she hadn’t known the answer, but now, one year after leaving, Tara knew with absolute conviction the answer was yes. Now, after all this time, Tara knew what she had to do. The shy blonde had never been one to take chances, but Tara understood that if she passed up this chance, another one might not ever come along. She would try to find Willow and tell her. That’s all she could do, even if Willow didn’t feel the same way, Tara had to know. The ambiguity of it all was slowly driving her mad. Nate’s question reiterated itself in her mind everyday, and every night she asked the question again, always answering the same way.

If you had known that you loved her the day you left, would you have stayed? Would you have done things differently, and fought for her?

Yes.

The answer was always the same.

Will you fight for her?

Yes.

--------------

Willow was lying down in bed wearing green boxer shorts and a white t-shirt. She had an arm tucked behind her head and was gazing at the ceiling intensely, lost deeply in the recesses of her mind. Willow was thinking about a subject that occupied her mind most of the time when she wasn’t working.

Love. It was a difficult emotion to identify, depending on the type of love it was, and there were many types. For example, Willow loved her parents. They were family, and she knew without a doubt that while she may not get along with them all of the time, she still loved them. Willow also loved Buffy. She had loved her almost since they had met. Buffy’s outgoing personality had drawn Willow out of her tiny shell, and she was forever grateful to have the woman in her life. Of course, that was the type of love in a friendship, which happened to be much easier to identify than another type of love. This was the type of love that was the subject of Willow’s musings most days, and yet her mind still did not understand. Her heart knew, but it was another matter entirely to convince her mind of anything. Willow was a genius, her IQ proved that. Yet this concept continued to elude her. She had an unanswered question, and it only served to further frustrate and torment her.

How do you know when you’re in love?

It seemed a simple question by all accounts, but still Willow could not wrap her mind around it. She had been trying to figure out the answer for a year, ever since Tara had left. Willow had been miserable for weeks, but she didn’t know why. A crush was one thing, but love? After four weeks of torturing herself, Willow had decided to stop. Her heart had screamed at her to realize what was going on, why she was so unhappy. But then her logical mind had stepped in and overruled her heart. Willow’s mind told her that you couldn’t fall in love with someone after only knowing them for a weekend; and so Willow had listened, telling herself it was for the best. The resolution her psyche had provided helped Willow to stay focused on school, and for that she was grateful. She once again found comfort in chemistry, and blocked out any lingering questions of loving devotion. It hadn’t lasted though, and recently Willow had once again begun to entertain the same thoughts that had plagued her months earlier.

Willow was broken from her deliberation by a hand that now rested on her stomach. She turned her head slightly to the left and was greeted by the sight of a brown-haired woman sleeping soundly. She watched the woman and sighed quietly.

Love is a pain in the butt.

Willow had met Samantha Atwood six months ago. She had booked the emergency room nurse to guest lecture for her organic chemistry class, thinking that an inside look at all of the different ways chemistry can be applied might appeal to her class. When they first met, Willow had found her attractive. There wasn’t that same spark she had felt with Tara, but the red-head couldn’t deny that the brunette was beautiful. She had hazel eyes set in a well sculpted face; she was slightly shorter than Willow and had a petite body. It had almost felt wrong to think that Samantha was attractive; almost like she was cheating on Tara. But Willow had quickly forced these thoughts out. Tara had left; they hadn’t even had a friendship, let alone a relationship which would cement these feelings. Willow had been utterly surprised when Samantha had asked her out for coffee after her class. She reasoned that she couldn’t sit by and watch her life leave without her. Six months of pining after someone who obviously didn’t feel the same way led Willow to accept the coffee invitation. It had been refreshing, in more ways than just the caffeinated beverages. Samantha had made her interest very clear; she liked Willow and she wanted to get to know her.

Six months they had been together now. Six months of trepidation on Willow’s part and patience on Sam’s. Until tonight. Willow loved Sam, she was sure of that. This love was what had driven Willow to letting Sam in to her life and her heart. This love was also the reason that Willow was still awake and thinking instead of sleeping like the woman alongside her. She let her thoughts drift to the one person her mind always seemed to find. Willow had tried not to think about Tara, but every day something reminded her of the beautiful blonde that had inspired feelings Willow could not figure out. It was her eyes. For the past year, Willow had tried to classify the color of Tara’s eyes, and to her dismay (or was it pleasure), no color could be found. The sky, the ocean, they couldn’t compare. Even now, sleeping in a bed next to the woman she had just been intimate with, Willow could not deny the images of Tara floating around her mind.

Love. Am I in love with Sam? I don’t know. Am I in love with Tara? No, don’t go there. She’s out of your life. Sheesh, one year and you still haven’t learned anything.

Her heart decided to take this time to reassert itself. You know, for such a genius, you really can be dumb.

Her mind tended to disagree. Nuh-uh.

Ooh. Well thought-out reply, oh highly intelligent brain.

Stop it. You’re just trying to get me to think about something that I shouldn’t be thinking about, shouldn’t ever think about, and should never think about in the future.

Wow. Babble much? Look, you know what I’m trying to tell you, just admit it.

No. Who has all the grey matter around here? Just shut-up and let me figure this out for myself.

Yeah, because that’s been going well for the past year.

Alright, that’s enough of that. Damn futile discussions. Willow closed her eyes and told her mind and heart in a not so polite way to be quiet. She rolled over to her side of the bed, knocking the hand off of her stomach in the process. Her last thought before descending into unconsciousness, a thought that would be forgotten by morning either on purpose or by accident, was that if Tara was the one in bed next to her, she would have rolled the other way to be closer and not farther away.

--------------

“No, Nate.”

“C’mon Tara, just this once.”

“No, Nate.”

“Don’t make me do it Tara; I’ll play the best friend card.” Nate continued in a pitiful voice. “I took care of your farm for a year. I fed your animals. I listened to you pine for a certain red-head…”

“Alright, alright,” Tara conceded.

“Great! So, I’ll pick you up at seven. Oh, and wear something sexy. Ooh, maybe that red skirt with the-” click.

Tara hung up on Nate and went to her bedroom. It had been a week since she had gotten home, and Nate was driving her crazy in a way that only best friends could. For the past week he had been pleading for them to go somewhere, anywhere. Tara opened her closet and looked at the multitude of clothes begging to be taken out for a night on the town.

Well, at least Nate did have one good idea. Tara took out a red flowing skirt that went down to her calves. The slit up the right side showed a bit more flesh than she was used to showing, but Nate had played the best friend card. She picked out a black and blue v-neck long-sleeved shirt that matched her eyes. Throwing the clothes on the bed, she picked out a pair of black sandals and went to the bathroom to shower. Tara stripped off her clothes and stepped into the warm water streaming from the shower head. She showered quickly and dried herself off. Tara left the bathroom and threw on the clothes, pausing in front of her bedroom door to check herself in the mirror. She had to admit, the outfit looked nice.

Glancing at the reflection one last time, she opened the door and walked down the stairs. She grabbed a red leather coat out of the closet and stepped out the front door just in time to see a red pick-up truck pull up to the porch. Nate stopped the car and got out to look at Tara’s outfit. He whistled suggestively and Tara lightly slapped him on the arm.

“Hey! I was just commenting on your outfit.” He put a wounded look on his face and looked at Tara with puppy-dog eyes.

“Mm-hmm. Whatever you say Nate.” Tara smirked and went around to the passenger side of the truck. She opened the door and stepped in as Nate did the same on the driver’s side. Tara turned her head to look out the window. “So, where are we going?”

“You’re gonna love it kid. It’s in Sunnydale.” He smiled slyly and looked over at Tara. She looked at him with wide eyes and then recomposed herself. Tara wasn’t going to delude herself into thinking that she could run into Willow. She took a deep breath and looked out the window again.

The blonde willed herself to keep her voice steady. There was no point in worrying about Willow. The red-head probably didn’t even go to clubs. “What’s it called?”

“The Bronze.”

--------------

“Are you almost ready Will,” Buffy questioned from the bottom of the stairs. A disembodied voice floated down the staircase from Willow’s room.

“Almost. I don’t really see why we’re going Buffy. I mean, I know I said I’d go, but I mean, we could just stay here. And there are lots of things to do here. We could watch a movie, and eat popcorn. Oh! And get sugared up on mochas.” Willow continued to babble as she walked down the stairs and stopped in front of Buffy. She was wearing tight black jeans and a green shirt with no sleeves. The black boots she was wearing completed the ensemble. Willow looked pitifully at Buffy with pleading eyes. “What I mean to say is, I have a ton of work to do, and it’s a school night.” She ended quietly.

“Will, we’re going. Those big eyes will not move me on the issue.” Buffy smiled and pushed Willow out the door, pausing only long enough to grab her purse. The blonde opened the driver’s side door and climbed in. Willow mirrored her movements and then gripped the inside of the door in preparation of Buffy’s driving. Ten minutes later they were parked outside of The Bronze. Willow’s fingers popped slightly as she released her tight grip on the door handle.

Both women left the car and walked up to The Bronze. They paid the cover and stepped inside. The two women were greeted by loud music coming from the band playing on stage. Buffy went to the bar to get their drinks while Willow fought the crowd to reach a table. She sat down and tapped her foot to the music, waiting for Buffy to return. With drinks in hand, Buffy left the bar and walked towards Willow, who was now standing up and frantically waving her hand to get Buffy’s attention. The petite blonde smiled and sat down at the table. Willow grabbed her drink and took a sip. She closed her eyes for a moment and breathed deeply. An image of Tara appeared before her, as it did almost every time she closed her eyes. The red-head opened her eyes slowly, re-adjusting to the dim light of the club. She turned her head towards the entrance of the club and her jaw dropped as she took in the vision in front of her.

--------------

Tara and Nate walked into The Bronze, pausing to pay the cover. Tara looked around the club, taking in her surroundings. It was crowded, but there was still room to dance near the stage. Taking a quick look to the tables behind the crowd, she realized there were probably no empty places. Turning her head back towards Nate, she stopped momentarily as a glimpse of red grabbed her eyes. She almost dismissed it, thinking that it was just her mind playing tricks on her, but another look told her that this was not a product of her imagination. Fifty feet away was Willow, waving exuberantly to someone. Tara stopped breathing for a moment, her eyes glazed over slightly. The red-head looked even more beautiful than Tara remembered. Her tight black jeans showed off every curve perfectly and the green tank top showed off her midsection slightly. Tara’s breathing returned as she started to take shallow breaths. Willow stopped waving and picked up a drink. Her mouth curled around the straw and sucked lightly. She saw Willow close her eyes for a moment, a small smile on her face.

Tara was startled out of her ogling by an exasperated Nate waving a hand in front of her face. “Are you alright Tara? You sort of spaced on me for a minute there.”

Tara’s eyes focused on the man that was now in front of her. “Willow,” she sighed.

It only took that one word from Tara for Nate to realize what was going on. He looked at the place Tara had just been fixated on and saw a red-headed woman with wide green eyes, her jaw lowered almost to the point of hitting the table. Nate smiled, secure with the knowledge that the red-head obviously recognized Tara even after a year. He turned back to Tara and saw that his friend had already returned her gaze to Willow. The two women stood there for at least a minute, openly staring at each other. Finally, Tara decided to make the first move. She started to gravitate towards the table, almost as if an invisible force was pulling her there. She stopped five feet from Willow and stood there with her mouth hanging slightly open, trying to think of something to say.

“Tara,” breathed Willow. Buffy barely heard what Willow had said, but smiled when she realized what was going on. Before either woman could utter a word, Willow saw something out of the corner of her eye that made her cringe. She quickly stood up and looked away from Tara. The blonde sighed sadly when she lost Willow’s gaze and turned to look at what had distracted the red-head. Tara watched as a brunette walked through the crowd and stopped right in front of Willow, cutting in front of Tara in the process. The woman gave the red-head a kiss on the mouth and then pulled away, smiling widely. “Hey baby, what’s going on?”

Alright, I know alot of kittens are gonna hate me. But I can promise Willow and Tara-y goodness will happen eventually. As all stories on the kitten board, it has a happy ending, promise. Chapter four should be posted by the weekend.

~Sara

Find out in Speak Easy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:49 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

dibs Well it just hit the fan dident it. A wise woman has taught me that if there is not pain and saddness that there can,t be pleasure and happyness so on with it girly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:30 pm 
5. Willowhand

I can't wait until the weekend! I need it now! *stops whining and runs off to pout/sulk in the corner*

Edit: Also, I would like to point out that YOU ARE EVIL. ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:52 pm 
9. Gay Now

Time to reply to all of these great compliments I'm getting :peace

Dianneswillowtree: Thanks for the compliment =). And I wholeheartedly agree. Sadness makes the happiness even more sweet.

musicmad10: Thankyou. I hope I can keep the cuteness going =).

highlandlass25: I know I'm evil, but I am trying really hard to conform (Grins evilly). Patience is a virtue...

wimpy0729: Hehe. I love Tara with horses. I guess that's why writing one appealed so much to me. Thanks for the feedback =). I hope I didn't dissapoint too much with the latest chapter.

Artemis: I was laughing out loud myself when I wrote the scene with Willow climbing up a tree. I hope you like the newest chapter.

BigBlueEyes: Thankyou for the compliment =). More to come soon...

~Sara

Find out in Speak Easy

Last edited by tazraven on Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:10 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Hey Taz! Well, you did warn us about the angst, and well, there it was, in the form of a brunette, who we all know cannot come close to filling the shoes of one particular horse-training blonde.

No, no disappointment at all. Gotta have the angst so when they finally get together, it's so much sweeter. Although, I gotta say the thought of Willow and Sam in bed really makes me cringe.

Hope you can get that over with soon and give us some W/T goodness. Very, very soon please.

Wimpy

"There was plenty of magic." ~~ Tara

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:13 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Taz,
I've been enthralled by all three chapters so far and have no fear as to the eventuality of some serious rolls in the hay seeing as how they are ideally placed for them what with the barn and all.
Brunettes, no matter how comely they may be and no matter how many sultry glances they may throw at her, can compete with the union of Willow and Tara which is a force that all have to bow down before, whether they be mortal or supernatural in origin.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:35 am 
5. Willowhand

well arent you a little tease? More please. Can I have some more?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:14 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

love chemistry, can't wait for chapter 4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:37 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Hey!

I don't usually leave feedback since I'm a bit shy about it and
don't really know what to write. However, I find your story intriguing
so I just wanted to say I like it and I look forward to read more

/Smilis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:27 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Heyy so I read this earlier and wanted to post some feedback but well... work called.. literally..

So here I am, and I just wanna say this is definately going to be a story to follow! So good so far! So keep up the good work and provide me.. erm us.. for more :D

Ashleigh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:13 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Whyyyyyy whyyyyyyyyyyyyy ....!! I need an updaaaaate!

While I was reading I forgot this was yet only one page and I was done tooooo soon.

Loving it btw, kudos! :pride

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:17 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Two quick notes (our office is moving and I can't spend the time I'd like on this , til later)

General comment; even in a small part, I like stories in which Cordelia is portrayed sympathetically or positively.

Egotistical comment;I can't help but enjoy when one writer comes up with the same idea I had on soemthing, in this case Willow's uni major.

Sue: We don't talk about things like that right after, you know that, no saying those things in The Moment.
Kim: (moves the hand aside) Screw The Moment. I *love* you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:00 am 
5. Willowhand

no I am sooooooo not hating you for your: horrible mean nerve wrecking sad abrupt no good half shocking (did I already say mean?) little ending. :wtf!!!
uhh yeah so Im right here waiting for yopu to fix this somehow. But your not right away are you? Oh nooooooooooo I see some dread coming up
(willohand tries to duck but its too late) and not to mention lots of emotionally pain. oh how could you?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:35 pm 
9. Gay Now

Hey everyone... Now, time to reply to the awesome compliments I've been getting.

wimpy0729: Sorry about the Sam and Willow in bed thingy, but I promise the good times are drawing nigh. And I think we all definitely know that Sam can't ever fill Tara's shoes :wtkiss

taralicious: I'm glad you're enjoying the story. And as for the rolls in the hay, my lips are sealed :blush

willohand: Hehe, Oliver Twist, of course you can have some more...

rhonda: Thankyou for your compliment =). Chapter 4 is a comin'

Smilis: I appreciate you leaving feedback. I'm shy about it too ;-) . If it's more you want, then more you shall have.

VixenyTarasHot: Hehe, thankyou for the compliment. And I'll definitely be providing more, given how much support I'm getting =).

Sadie: Aww, poor kid. I'm sure hoping that it becomes more than one page ;-) .

DaddyCatALSO: I'm glad you liked the Cordelia bit. And yay for us having the same idea. Great minds think alike, hehe.

willohand: Aw man, no hating. I promise I'll fix it. Willow Tara goodness shall prevail.

Thanks to everyone for the support I'm getting. The next chapter will be posted tonight or tomorrow. I hope everyone doesn't hate me too much for the cliffhanger I left ya'll with. :peace

~Sara

Find out in Speak Easy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:10 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
I'm glad to hear the update is forthcoming.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:19 pm 
21. Geek Infested Roots

JustSkipIt wrote:
I'm glad to hear the update is forthcoming.

Me, too. I'm enjoying this fic.

Last edited by SithLordWiccan on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:59 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

I am really enjoying this story.

My, my you've put poor Willow on the spot, haven't you? I can't wait to see how she handles this one....

I see your motto is "Always leave them wanting for more"

bbjane

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:22 pm 
3. Flaming O

Ok... Im twice as impatient as everyone else coz I know whats coming... there are sooooo many benefits to being a beta! ;-)

More Pleeeeeeeeeeease????

Seriously, loving this story, excellently brilliantly spectacular first fic!

Every time a fanfic earns a comment, a Beta gets her wings!