The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Welcome to the Show (Updated August 6th)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:08 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Hi everyone, my name's Ash. I've been looking for a place to post some Willow/Tara fanfiction for a while, and I must say, I love the stories you've all been posting. So, here's the first chapter of my first addition, thank you for reading...

• Title - Welcome To The Show
• Rating - PG to NC-17 possibly in later chapters
• Summary: Willow and Xander make their way to the Bronze for Sunnydale's annual Battle of the Bands where they meet a talented musician and his beautiful sister Tara. The night is a welcome distraction to the still bitter WIllow after Oz up and left her months before. It's a miracle how one night and one person can change someone's life...

{Disclaimer: I don't own any of the characters or settings in this story. Im not affiliated in any way with BTVS. This is all fiction...}

Welcome to the Show
Chapter 1

The Bronze was electric that night – the warm tinge of summer heat that married itself with the crowded club and all it’s occupants became more apparent as the night went on.

“The next guy better be good!” Willow demanded sourly, slouching slightly in her chair, “the last five were snooze-worthy!”

“Come on Will, they don’t call it ‘Battle of the Bands’ for nothing do they?” Xander questioned, sipping his Perrier while wiping the vastly appearing beads of sweat from his masculine jaw line.

“No, but really, come on, the last guy sounded like he was reincarnated as…as…as a guy who couldn’t sing!” She responded, lifting her brows in annoyance.

“Well who pissed in your Cheerios this morning, grumpy bear?” Xander laughed, shifting forward in his seat just enough to learn over and tuck a stray auburn strand of hair behind his best friends ear. After managing to get a smile and a sigh from her, he settled back. “And just because you don’t have a date for tonight Miss Rosenberg, doesn’t mean you can be a sourpuss.”

“Me? A sourpuss and a grumpy bear?” She scoffed, “I’m hardly a sourpuss! A-a-nd you know what else Xander? I’m happy alone, since Oz left I’ve gotten to know myself a lot better and I-“

“Shhh, it’s about to start again!” Xander cut his friend off and clapped his hands comically, diverting his attention away from the slightly annoyed Willow.

Truth is, Willow was hardly in the mood to socialize, as tonight was three months to the day that her ex-boyfriend Oz ditched her with literally no reason. Now, all these smiling and inspired people just didn’t sit well with her, and who could blame her for being somewhat resentful?

‘Come on Willow, snap out of it!’ she coaxed herself inwardly, ‘Oz is not worth all of this heartache…’

Appearing on stage through the haze of the smokey club was a somewhat stocky man and a beautiful black acoustic guitar. The blonde haired cassanova with a patchy beard and awkward grin seemed to have an energy that calmed her, though she didn’t know why.

“Um, I’m Donny…Maclay,” the nervous bulky character croaked above a whisper, “I’m gonna play some songs for you.”

Without giving the audience a chance to bathe in his timid silence, he stroked the heavy strings on his black beauty, reflecting the stage lights into the eyes of all that witnessed his apparent talent.

“Whoa,” Willow mouthed to Xander, tapping him to emphasize what they both already knew. He only nodded, not wanting to take his eyes off the musician that made history with each passing second.

“I want to thank ya’ll for allowing me the time to sing for you,” he thanked everyone graciously with his smooth southern drawl, hardly noticeable above the applause. “I especially want to thank my sister Tara for everything, she’s been there since day one…come on up here sis!”

Taking the stage as the audience roared on, wearing an ambrosia blush upon her cheeks, was a shy and gentle looking young woman. She didn’t resemble her brother in any sense, yet their likeness was certainly and outspokenly there. From the light blue peasant top loosely embracing her thin frame, to the long feathery blonde locks trailing behind her like a ray of light, there was a softness and a calm demeanor that struck Willow in the chest as if she’d met her before.

With eyes of porcelain yet strong enough to weather any storm, Willow met the quick glance of the striking woman as if the universe aligned their pupils purposely. She shivered, yet felt herself exude a warm sweat as she tried to dodge the stare that held both her and Tara so intently.

“Smack me silly and call me crazy, but that girls a babe!” Xander noticed, flashing his signature pearly whites at the girl standing beside her brother. “If it weren’t for Anya, I’d be flinging myself on that stage faster than you could even say ‘go’, that’s for sure!”

“Come on,” Willow grabbed Xanders arm, startling him out of the admiration, “we gotta see if he has a demo or something.”

‘What is it about that girl? It’s like something’s pulling me towards her, like I need to talk to her for some cosmic reason! Maybe we’re meant to meet, maybe we’re supposed to be friends…why is my heart beating so fast? Maybe she’s into magic, maybe she’s a witch too? Come on Willow, snap out of this!' She fought back the relentless questions in her head before attempting to make sense of it aloud.

Despite being short, Willow somehow found a way to see just enough over the audience to spot the exit of both Donny and Tara as they made their way off the stage and into the lounge. Of course her and Xander would be just two of many admirers that fling themselves at his feet. The man was really THAT good…

“I’ll be back in a minute,” Willow informed her friend upon spotting Tara wandering slightly before deciding on a spot next to the concession, “go wait in line at the merch booth, see if he has anything for sale.”

With fate nipping at her heels, she sheepishly made her way over to the woman she had never met. Now just merely five feet away from her target, Willow took a moment to examine the woman, to try and sense her energy and read the flow. Why on earth did she feel so compelled to talk to a complete stranger?

‘A beautiful complete stranger…’ she mused.

“Excuse me,” Willow murmured, tapping Tara’s soft shoulder to elicit her timid attention.

Turning around epically like a slow motion plot unfolding, both women fell into the vacancy between them and filled it so completely with their diamond eyes.

“Hey,” she smiled warmly at Willow, silence winning the upper hand as her lips failed to say much more, “I’m…T…T-Tara.”

“Yeah, I saw you up there with your brother,” Willow began, “who is insanely talented by the way. I think my best friend Xander is over there grilling him for guitar lessons by now, but um…I’m Willow, and um, you looked so familiar, like we’ve met before…”

After tucking smooth blonde locks behind her ears, she glanced at Willow in question for a moment before responding to her curiosity. “We have met…”

Last edited by shadowplay on Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:39 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Welcome to the Show (New Story/New Author)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:39 am 
Great start can't wait to see what happens

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:10 am 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for a good beginning... Update-y goodness soon?

Posting While Nude Improves Your Mood.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:40 am 
4. Extra Flamey

First off, welcome to the board! I'm glad you decided to share your work here. It sounds like Willow is off to a good start, and she's so very bold. I'm also pleased that you've chosen (at least this far) to make Donny into a softer, nicer character. I'm seeing more and more fics portraying him in a better light, and it's a welcome change. Keep up the good work.

http://citychickenfarm.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:25 am 
2. Floating Rose

What a great start:) Leaving it with the cliffhanger there at the end was evil, but in a good way. I can't wait to see what's coming.

Tanya

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:03 am 
11. Fish in the Bowl

:pray :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray
(that's me praying for more)
:pray :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray

(O.o )
(> < ) This Is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination. (it must be bunnieeees!)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:44 am 
3. Flaming O

huh.
well, that piqued my interest. keep at it, huh?
though i could not imagine anything as romantic as W&T's meeting in the actual show.. being honest here.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:18 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Awesome Awesome start, I can't wait for your next update!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:29 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Wow, thank you everyone for reading and the furthermore, the kind words! Im honored you're giving this a read! This story has been brewing in my head for a while now, so I'm excited to actually get it onto paper. It'll move a little slow at the beginning, but I promise, it'll advance. I haven't had much time to do a lot of editing, so if there are errors or anything, my apologies, they'll be fixed)

{Disclaimer: I don't own any of the characters, settings or plot in BTVS. This is a work of fiction.)

Welcome to the Show
CHAPTER 2

Maybe she couldn’t hear her right due to the obnoxiously loud crowd flaunting their unnecessary volume unapologetically? Or did she perhaps hear her perfectly clear? Either way, Willow had no idea who this girl was, short of her name, or where they could have met. Yet, something unstoppable inside was beckoning her to find out more.

“Excuse me?” Willow asked Tara incredulously, “we've met?”

Tara could sense the baffled woman’s nervousness, ‘I wish she remembered me, but hey, I’m nothing too memorable…’ she figured internally.

“Um, we’re both in the…the Wicca study group on Wednesday m-m-mornings,” Tara explained, “but I-I-don’t u-usually have the guts to say anything there, the girls are kind of…b-bitchy.”

Then it clicked. Tara was the shy girl in the back with her hair hanging shyly over her face. The girl Willow had briefly heard get shot down by the other girls in complete disrespect. She remembered feeling Tara’s shame, her lack of confidence in that moment. Maybe it was too uncomfortable that she blocked it out perhaps?

“Oh my gods Tara, I’m sorry, I knew I’d seen you somewhere before!” Willow beamed, reaching forward to give the fellow witches arm a friendly caress. “I’m sorry I didn’t remember, and for the record, yep, those girls are the bitchiest of bitchy. I can’t help but feel like I don’t belong there. You know, I don’t think they even know what they’re doing; it’s all bake-sales and lame-o meditations that have nothing to do with Wicca! I say we revolt! I say we show them who the Wicca Witches of the West are!”

‘Aw, she babbles, that’s so cute!’ Tara thought, quickly recognizing that familiar feeling within her inner core. ‘No, get it together Tara, don’t go thinking this very obviously straight girl is cute…it only ends in heartache.’

“Oh, um, y-yes, I know what you mean,” she replied to the beautiful red head, “I think that if they saw a real witch they’d…um…run the other way!”

Both women giggled, feeling completely content in each other’s company. That didn’t happen too often for either of them, especially Tara. Both her and Donny had moved to Sunnydale after deciding they’d had enough of their father’s abusive control.

With the unfortunate passing of their mother nearly five years prior, their father tried to run a tight ship, an unnecessarily tight ship. He was never supportive of her lifestyle choices – and true, while having lesbian and a witch for a daughter could be a bit hard to swallow for an old southern Christian type of guy, he made it harder than it needed to be for everyone.

Letting the silence take over once again, Willow stared directly into the soft shells of Tara’s eyes. She read them like pages of an old sacred novel, taking comfort in the color and the shade of the pieces of her soul she chose to bare.

“I..I…um,” Tara stuttered, “I think it would be cool to maybe get together sometime, do some spells maybe...only if you want to.”

“Of course I’d be down for some spelly-goodness with you,” Willow assured her new friend, feeling a light spark touch every inch of her flesh in excitement.

Even from behind the concession where Tara had now taken a seat, the next act could be seen taking the stage. Hoping Willow would join her; she picked a set of couches that sat parallel to each other. The rich dark tapestry looked inviting, but it was hardly noticeable next to her company.

‘Gods, the gorgeous girl from Wicca group…here…talking to me!’ Tara’s mind began to race. ‘I knew there was something about her, knew that she’d pop up at a random time and just…I shouldn’t be staring. Tara, look away, she’d be sick if she knew you were looking at her like all the guys probably look at her! Hell, she’s probably got a boyfriend!’

“So no date tonight?” Willow outwardly questioned with honest intent to make conversation. Tara however looked like she’d seen a ghost, and not the good kind!

“O-o-oh, uh, no?” She answered, almost in form of an unsung question, “I-I-I mean no, I don’t have a…a…girl…I mean date.”

“Well, me neither,” Willow confessed, “my ex-boyfriend Oz left me a few months ago, it was unpleasant to say the least, but hey, no sweat, I’m fine.”

Tara’s soul flashed a quick wave of disappointment to her heart, a vast and solid reminder that her hopes had sunk like a ship that went down at the sight of land.

“Oh, I’m so sorry Will,” Tara offered, taking the girls hand boldly.

Willow jerked back at the sudden display of comfort, but not because of the action – because of the electrics that were born as soon as their bare skin touched. The charge could almost be heard, the currency so powerful and warm.

“I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say there’s something going on between us,” Willow laughed, still reeling from the sudden jolt. “It’s gotta be super natural, like, maybe we’re meant to make magic together or something?”

Before Tara could offer her two-cents on the obvious connection they shared, a tall good-looking man no older than Willow appeared beside them, distracting her from their chatter.

“Oh Tara, meet Xander,” she introduced them, motioning for them both to shake hands. “He’s been my pal forever, he’s a suave type of guy.”

“Nice to meet you,” Xander greeted her, opting to kiss her hand instead of shake it. “I bet a girl like you won’t stay single too long around here!”

“Xander!” Willow scolded him, her pale face darkening in a blush at the expense of her rather forward friend.

She felt her veins thicken, her heart pulse heavier, recognizing the feeling as jealousy, yet unknowing of why it’s was arising.

‘Xander has tons of friends, gods, he should leave this one for me without screwing it up with his libido…’ she thought as she brushed the more tender emotion away with logic.

“S-s-so how about t-tomorrow?” Tara finally spoke again, trying to memorize Willow’s ivory skin and strikingly soft face. “We could do some spells, or um, j-just hang out.”

‘Gods, I’m being so forward, what’s gotten into me?’ Tara scolded herself mentally…

Without thinking twice, Willow searched her pockets for a pen and gently took Tara’s hand in hers to rest it on her lap. With light taps of the cold tip to her hand, Willow let the sullen ink take to Tara’s palm, displaying her phone number like a secret code.

“Call me tomorrow then,” she said, putting the pen back in her pocket, “I’ll wait around…”

Last edited by shadowplay on Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Welcome to the Show (Updated July 31st)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:40 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Great fic so far, cant wait to see how it goes from here. And its nice to see a fic in which Donny is not a total ass and more like a big brother should be. Keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:09 am 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for great update-y goodness... I hope Willow very soon gets the idea that Tara could be much more than just a witch-y-buddy...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:39 am 
2. Floating Rose

That was awesome! I'm totally loving this fic. I have a weakness for fics where Willow and Tara meet and their relationship builds... ahhhh... it's so sweet. :) I also enjoyed how you worked lines from the show in there. Keep up the great writing, I can't wait to read more.

Tanya

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:01 am 
5. Willowhand

Location: Behind the tree, outside the window. Waving at you.
Oh, awesome. I really like your writing here. I can actually hear Willow saying these lines in my head. Lol. And though, given the canon-Donny, I never thought I'd say this but he's so cute. All with the shyness and whatnot.

Quote:
“It’s gotta be super natural, like, maybe we’re meant to make magic together or something?”

:laugh I love this line.

Can't wait for more. :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:03 am 
4. Extra Flamey

That was a great update. And if this is what unedited work looks like.... Everything seems so palpable, so polished to read, yet so rough and raw to experience. It's a shame there are no more BTVS episodes to come. This could have fit in quite well.

http://citychickenfarm.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:15 am 
12. Recently Gay

Topics: 1
Always nice to see new writers on the board, welcome.

I love all the getting together for the first time fic's, and this one has a nice twist on cannon, and a likeable Donny.

I can't tell yet if it's gonna be fluffy or angsty, but you can be sure I'll be reading to find out.

And, I'm in total agreement with the others on the quality and style of your writing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:45 am 
3. Flaming O

This looks promising. I too like these "getting together for the first time fic's" pleasant Donnie is a plus.

I've actually been developing a bit similar idea (meaning it has something to do with music) in my head, but I haven't made much progress with it.

Post subject: Re: Welcome to the Show (Updated August 2nd)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:07 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

I have to say I'm quite excited and pumped about all the kind words you have been giving me about this. Thank you to everyone. I'm such an admirer of all the writers and stories on this board that it gives me a thrill to keep adding these updates. Rock on!

By the way, this here is a bit of an angsty chapter, but all you need to know is things are going to get pretty awesome soon enough <3

{Disclaimer: I don't own anything or anyone portrayed or related to BTVS, this is all fiction}

Welcome To The Show
Chapter Three

‘Why on earth am I up so early?’ Tara groaned, rolling over to stretch her tired bones. ‘There’s no way I can get out of bed now, I’ll be wandering around like a fool until it’s time to call Willow…’

So she lay there in a barely coherent state, examining the dark elegance of her warm room; the little details of the glowing strings of lights that she delicately hung to add some mystic, the intricate pattern on her soft duvet, the off-white ceiling…

For some reason though, no matter what she found to distract herself, her mind kept wandering back to that cute redhead that set her skin ablaze last night at the Bronze. Why was she so attracted to her energy? Sure, Willow happened to be the living definition of beautiful, but the connection certainly went beyond mind and body…past the soul even.

‘I gotta let this go, here I am thinking with my heart, not my head, and it’s going to be the death of me! It’s not fair though, why does there even need to be sexuality? Why can’t everyone just be attracted to everyone? Well, not everyone, I just, I wish I had a chance with her…if it weren’t for my outsides being…well…female, we’d be perfect together; I know we’d be.’

Deciding she had enough with her own relentlessness, Tara got out of bed. Opting for a quick cup of coffee before freshening up, she lifted off her nightshirt and proceeded to get dressed.

Rich with solace, Willow let the steam curl upward from her cup of tea and swoon her restless skin into warmth. Taking sips of the mint concoction, she swallowed it slow, letting it penetrate her to the core with a soothing fullness.

‘It’s Saturday, Gaia knows why I’m up at 7:30am…’ she rolled her eyes, pulling her sweater around her tighter as she noticed a slight breeze chill the back of her neck. The glass door to the Espresso Pump closed hard, and a familiar blonde jumped, obviously startled.

“Tara?” Willow called, somewhat comforted now that she wasn’t the only insomniac awake at an ungodly hour.

“Willow, hey,” Tara greeted her, feeling how smooth her friends name fell from her lips despite being a little flustered from the door almost slamming shut on her, “that damn door is as moody as a Siamese!”

“Hey, I thought I was the only crazy cat lady around here! I can tell I’m gonna have some competition Miss Maclay…” Willow playfully taunted, winking at her to seal the deal.

Instead of going to the coffee counter to order something for herself, Tara took a seat next to Willow and hoped to make conversation. Afterall, this is the woman that kept her awake all morning indirectly, and after getting a glimpse of even the tired Willow in her black sweat pants and navy blue hoodie, she didn’t think anyone could look more beautiful.

“Did you sleep well?” Tara asked, watching Willow enjoy the heat emanating from her tea. As she took sips, she looked almost purely satisfied, comforted, content.

“I guess,” Willow sighed in response, reminiscing not too fondly of the sleepless night spent tossing and turning. For some reason, the hours she spent in her bed felt extra empty. “My best friend Buffy was at her boyfriend Riley’s last night, and the room just seemed too…still for my liking.”

“Yeah, I can see you needing some pep even when you’re sleeping,” Tara giggled, nudging Willow playfully with her elbow.

“Hey, I’m not some peppy-pep lady, I just, I guess I just felt…so permanently alone last night…so single, so eternally just…me. I felt so...Willowy," she explained, watching Tara’s expression go from jokester to serious and somber.

“Oh Willow, you have nothing to worry about, though I definitely do understand,” Tara confessed, moving her chair a little closer to the redhead. Not to intrude on her personal space or for the sake of being closer, but just so she could feel her support and attentive ear. “Willow, I’ve been single for the past four years…”

Willow furrowed her brow, wide eyed, feeling somewhat foolish that she was complaining about being alone for a mere few months when Tara’s slept alone for years.

“I, I had no idea…we’ll, how would I when we pretty much just met? But, still, I didn’t know someone as…um, pretty and as interesting as you wouldn’t have a boyfriend,” Willow babbled breathlessly, “so what happened? I mean, did he dump you? Or did you give him the big old boot?”

‘She really does babble…’ Tara comically thought, before finding a way to carefully respond, ‘do I tell her I’m gay? Do I play it safe? Ahhh, so confused…’

“I..um, s-s-she cheated on me,” Tara began, and as soon as the words escaped her lips, she regretted them, feeling as if her soul was bared for Willow to either graciously accept or painfully reject.

“Huh? She cheated on you? I mean, she?” Willow surprisingly questioned, feeling a tsunami in her blood flooding her veins with a rush of an unfamiliar feeling that was becoming all too familiar since last night.

“Yeah, um, gay…me…you know, I’m a-all with the g-g-gay thing,” Tara managed to stutter out before giving a final sigh, “I’m a lesbian, Will.”

Putting her hot beverage down out of fear of the eventual spilling of it, or uncomfortably sipping on it as a welcome distraction, Willow crossed her legs and crossed her arms. Maybe the body language she exuded seemed rude, but her brain was on overdrive, and she had no idea why. Furthermore, she didn’t feel like discussing something so personal at an empty café, or anywhere for that matter.

“A-are you okay? I mean, is this going to be a problem?” Tara tried to decipher Willow’s reaction, unsettled with a heart pounding faster and louder than chaos.

“No, no, no, um, no,” Willow’s voice cracked as she responded, looking anywhere but into Tara’s eyes.

‘God, what’s my problem? Why am I so dumbstruck? It’s not like Tara’s going to come on to me or anything, so why am I worried? Why would she want Miss Geek-Squad-Rosenberg anyway? I’m definitely not the type of girl she’d date…I’m nowhere near good enough…wait, why do I care anyways, hello! Me, so not gay!’

“Hello! Earth to Willow!” Tara waved her hands slightly in front of her glazed eyes as she certainly appeared to be off in another realm, “I can see I shouldn’t have been honest with you. There are people who can handle it and some who simply can’t.”

Attempting to stand and make a hurried exit, Tara gave Willow one last look of desperation, wishing she’d say something, anything to assure her she was okay with her confession and that they’d still spend the day together doing spells or meditating, maybe just sitting around sharing secrets or watching old movies.

No, not this time, and judging by the silence Willow shot back at her, she didn’t think that would ever happen.

“Goodbye, Willow,” she finally whispered, rushing to the door and opening it with defeat before letting it slam, rousing Willow from her mindless state.

Now seeing that Tara had really indeed left, eyeing her fleeting frame crossing the lane through the somewhat foggy glass door, Willow felt a pang of guilt well up in her chest and turn to regret.

Her heart told her to chase after her, to tell her it’s okay and that they could be friends forever, but her body kept her firmly in place with nothing but the vision of Tara’s face, disappointed at her behavior.

“Fuck, what did I just do?” She scolded herself aloud, “I need to fix this…”

Last edited by shadowplay on Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:53 am 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for great update-y goodness... I truly hope that Willow runs after Tara and begs her to forgive her...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:51 pm 
12. Recently Gay

Quote:
“Fuck, what did I just do?” She scolded herself aloud, “I need to fix this…”

Yes , Miss Rosenberg, you really do!

Poor Tara, biting the bullet and coming out only to have Willow so caught up in the babble of her mind that it makes our lovely blonde feel hurt and unwanted.

Quote:
Rich with solace, Willow let the steam curl upward from her cup of tea and swoon her restless skin into warmth. Taking sips of the mint concoction, she swallowed it slow, letting it penetrate her to the core with a soothing fullness.

That was just lovely, it's things lke this that takes your fic to another level.

Just one wee tiny thing wrong, Tara's surname is spelt Maclay, not MacLay. A small thing, I know, but it stands out in an otherwise perfect story. :peace

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:12 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

One more short chapter for you all tonight. Thank you for reading, and for the helpful hints and the two cents <3 I'll post replies to you all individually later because I really appreciate the feedback.

{Disclaimer: Don't own anything or anyone regarding BTVS, this is all fiction}

Welcome to the Show
Chapter 4

As Tara made her way back to the dorm, she swore she could almost see the skies part when the rain fell in thick waves. It was like a movie when the thunder came, and it was a mirror image of what she felt inside past her flesh.

‘How could she do that? How could she just sit there and say nothing? She could have slapped me in the face or told me I was disgusting, that would have been better than nothing.’

In truth, she didn’t know why Willow’s opinion meant so much either; besides the intense connection she felt they had, they knew little about each other. It really shouldn't have mattered! Now, here she was running through a heavy California rain, disappointed that the one thing she really had to look forward to, was thrown away as fast as Willow could swallow a sip of tea.

‘Come on Buffy, answer your phone, answer your phone…’ Willow coaxed the dial tone as she nervously began the walk back to the room they shared.

The true over-prepared woman she was, she retrieved the umbrella from her bag and unfolded it with a pop. She’d always been calmed by the sound of rain, it helped her to slip into meditation and soothe long days of studying; it was so calming, so cleansing, so humble.

Just as Willow was about to hang up, her best friend’s voice came through loud and clear like the sweetest song in her ears.

“Buffy, good, listen, I need to talk to you pronto,” Willow urged as soon as her roommates voice came on the line, “like pronto.”

“Geeze Will, you okay?” Buffy answered, pausing when her friend didn’t offer any more conversation, “I could meet you at the Espresso Pump in an hour?”

“That’s the last place I wanna be right now, how about the dorm in an hour?” She suggested, hoping Buffy would just come back so they could laze around the room and eat ice cream all day. True she didn’t deserve ice cream at this point, nor did she deserve to laze around. The only thing she should be concerning herself with is the girl who ran out of the café earlier, most likely feeling lower than low, and it was all her fault for being so blank and stupid.

“How about you give me a hint Will, and tell me what’s driven you to call me in such a panic?”

Adjusting the phone between her shoulder and ear to better hold her umbrella, she debated on how to tell Buffy exactly what she was feeling, when she didn’t even know the answer herself.

“I met a girl, an amazing girl, a girl who I wanted to be my other witchy-half,” Willow explained, feeling the wound she inflicted on Tara deeply embed itself in the pit of her stomach.

“And? What’s so bad about that Will?” Buffy laughed, certainly unsure what had Willow so flustered.

“She’s gay Buff, she told me and I freaked…” She admitted shamefully, wishing she could just hang up the phone and pretend today never existed.

“Oh, uh, Will…why did you freak? I mean, if she’s as awesome as you say she is, why would it matter? You’ve had gay friends before and it never bothered you, so why now?”

“Because,” Willow sighed, closing her eyes at the flood of emotion, “because she’s so…she’s…she’s just so…”

“I think you’ve got a crush on her,” Buffy teased, “if you want my opinion.”

“What? Are you crazy? Me? A crush on a girl? That’s insane, it’s the craziest of all crazes Buffy, it’s…it’s…”

“Natural and fully possible,” her friend retorted, “you’re a witch, and from what I’m gathering, she is too right?”

“Yeah, yeah she’s powerful, I felt it when our hands touched last night at the Bronze, it was just…electric,” Willow admitted, feeling her heart sink and ignite all in the same moment.

“Then, why am I all with the woo-hoo and you’re not? Maybe you’re just-”

“Whatever,” Willow interrupted, “just come by the dorm when you’re done with Riley, okay?”

Not meaning to sound rude to her closest friend, Willow hung up the phone anyway and slipped it in the front pocket of her hoodie. No one deserved to be on the receiving end of her confusion and angst today, no one would even be able to understand it. Neither did she…

Just one little speck in the world she was, and she imagined being the light gray rain clouds millions of miles above her head, looking down at stretching waters and boundless earth. If she were up there looking down, everything would seem so small, so peaceful and perfect; did the rain know what is was falling down to? A world full of something less, something more complex than weather and birds flying aimlessly through mid-air. She was sure love or pain or confusion didn’t exist in the sky…

‘I’m sorry Tara,’ Willow whispered, picking up the pace from a walk to a jog on her jaunt home, ‘I never meant to hurt you.’

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:33 pm 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for good update-y goodness... Willow really needs to apologise Tara and figure out her feelings for Tara...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:32 am 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Hi there. I'm really liking this story and it very nicely written. It is written so well that my heart was aching for Tara in these last two updates. It is interesting here that Buffy has a little more insight and understanding and Willow is the one freaking and in total denial. Willow had the total meltdown when Tara came out and hurt her so badly. I hope Buffy can talk to her and get her to come to terms with her feelings.

Hopefully she gets straightened out soon and goes to talk to Tara and apologizes, profusely.

More soon please?

Wimpy

"There was plenty of magic." ~~ Tara

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:49 am 
12. Recently Gay

I'm liking this mature version of Buffy. None of that silly saying Will at the end of every sentence, but good honest opinion and support, and methinks Willow is going to need all the help she can get to mend things with the very sad and hurt Tara.

I get the feeling it will take more than cookies this time!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:50 pm 
3. Flaming O

I'm liking this better every update. It's like a rewrite of their beginning, in which you can construct the whole sequence of events rather than having to work around - or even with - the events on the show. Interesting.

Saddy sad for Tara, though.

Oh. I really liked that part where Tara was thinking about it, and wondering why people couldn't just be attracted to "everyone." Mind-boggling question, although it is a bit hypocritical for a woman attracted only to women to be asking it... something I realized myself, when I wondered that.

Post subject: Re: Welcome to the Show (Updated August 6th)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:26 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Okay folks, two more chapters for you. I've been meaning to get them up for a few days now, but I'm currently out of town in Seattle. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the direction it's going - I'm such a sucker for romance, so rest assured, it's on it's way. Thanks for all your comments and feedback!!

{Disclaimer: I don't own anyone or anything regarding BTVS, and this is pure fiction}

Welcome to the Show
Chapter 5

It was only nearing 9:00am, and as Willow slouched over in her computer chair trying to distract herself from the obvious, she couldn’t calm the storm in her inner core. Buffy still hadn’t shown up, and nothing could portray her anxiety better than four nearly empty walls and silence.

Deciding she had enough of nothingness, she stood and made her way over to where her and Buffy kept all their cd’s. At least music provided some welcome pseudo-company.

‘Tiffany, Brittany Spears, Madonna? Come on Buffy, you’re a vampire slayer, don’t you have anything…edgier?’ Willow sifted through the cases, trying to find something to better suit her mood. Finally spotting a stack of her albums on the final shelf, she continued sifting until coming across an old favorite.

“Ahh, perfect,” she whispered, she loved ‘Disintegration’ by The Cure. As much as a perfectionist she was, she proceeded to inspect the disc of any scratches, and once satisfied, put the disc on play.

She loved how slow it started, and how slow it built up; each song turned into a beautiful crescendo and snipped at her heartstrings, causing her to understand exactly what the striking singer was crooning about.

Opting to lay on the bed rather than sit back in the uncomfortable wooden desk chair, she flopped onto the mattress and reached for her pillow.

‘It shouldn’t have to be this hard,’ she thought, ‘what’s gotten into me?’

Though being lulled into something rather than inner chaos, she knew the only way to fix anything would be to go to the source, Tara. Even the silent mention of her name caused a friction deep within, but was it fear or was it excitement?

“Sorry I’m late witchy-poo,” Buffy apologized as she entered the room, clearly with more energy and spunk than the usually bubbly Willow. “Whoa, you okay?”

Upon spotting Willow on the bed sniffling, she knew this was a bigger deal than just a bicker between her and her new friend. Maybe Willow was homophobic? Despite seeming fully supportive of previous classmates’ sexual preferences, it was possible for a person’s mind to change, wasn’t it? Either that or Willow was starting to have feelings for Tara, and she was deeply in denial…deeply.

Shifting from where she laid on the bed to be in eyeshot of Buffy, Willow took a bated breath and went on an internal hunt for the words that made her victim to everything she questioned.

“I…and…Tara, it’s a mess,” she managed to mutter, hoping Buffy would just take a leap and read her mind without having to say too much.

“Will, are you sure you’re not making too much out of this?” Buffy delicately questioned, moving over to the bed to take her friends hand. “I mean, you screwed up, yes, but it’s nothing that can’t be fixed with an apology, am I right?”

“I don’t even know anymore,” Willow replied, “I don’t even know what I feel.”

“Whoa Will, what do you mean? Are you upset because Tara’s gay? Because why else would you be so upset? I mean I know you and the whole not talking to Tara after her confession thing, but, come on, spill it….” Buffy spoke softly as she caressed her hand. For the first time she actually felt Willows turmoil, rather than just seeing it from the outside.

Willow sighed and wiped away the wet red strands of hair stuck to her slender cheekbones from the tears. She wasn’t sure herself why she was having this sort of meltdown, but it’s almost as if it was necessary for whatever reason. It’s like there was a good angel on one shoulder and a horrible one on the other having a showdown. Only they weren’t telling her to choose either good or bad, they were arguing about something much more complex.

“You wanna know something?” Willow finally said as she arose from the bed, wandering over to the other side of the room to where her stereo was still playing the Cure at a generous volume. “ When Tara told me she was gay, the only thing that was on my mind is how I didn’t have to worry about her coming onto me because I wasn’t nearly good enough for her. Can you believe that? I wasn’t thinking it was sick, wasn’t thinking it would be awkward, nothing. And then I got so…tangled up in my own babbling in my head that I couldn’t even hear her, what she was saying to me, what she needed to hear from me. I…I was too afraid.”

“Okay, no bullshit, tell me the truth, what were you afraid of?” Buffy asked, staring Willow directly in the eyes equal parts determination and sincerity.

Like a giant shift in the earth plane or a volcano erupting, all the adrenaline that held Willow’s wrists in chains turned into the breath her lungs were so anxiously begging to breathe…and it gave her the answers.

“Because I’m afraid that I like her, Buffy…”

Welcome to the Show
Chapter 6

‘Okay, all I need is a pinch of lavender and a few drops of patchouli oil,’ Tara thought aloud, reading her trusty incense recipe from her oldest Book of Shadows. Her mother, a talented and versatile witch herself, let Tara copy the recipe down in her notes when she was just learning of her talents as a young Wiccan.

It blew Tara’s mind that the many elements of earth were all she needed to work magic, and that something as simple as incense could change someone’s mood so drastically for the better.

Once she had the ingredients together, she began to grind it with her mortar and pestle, putting her intentions into it as she did so.

‘I need peace, I need calm…and as much as Willow hurt me, all I want is for her to be happy, to have a good life. I just want to forget about all this, forget about her.’

A knock on the door threw her from her thoughts, making her drop her pestle onto the bedspread. No one usually came by, just classmates who needed help with an assignment or various students from study group. If it wasn’t one of them, there was only one other option, and Tara wasn’t sure if she was even open to that possibility.

“Tara,” Willow greeted the blonde once the door opened half-way, gazing into her resplendence and pallor. “I know you probably don’t wanna see me, but – “

“It’s not that I don’t want to see you, I just don’t understand why you’re here,” Tara said, “you made it pretty clear that you – “

“No, I made it unclear, foggy even,” the redhead tried to explain, “I just didn’t know what to say...I didn’t feel ready, didn’t feel worthy to know such a personal side of you yet, and I…well I freaked.”

Tara wondered if her intentions were true, if this was honest or a fake excuse to save face. Trying to stay firm but already becoming soft toward the woman standing at her door, she decided perhaps to let her into her room, where they could rationally discuss the mornings events and whether their friendship stood a chance. This was all so strange; and even though she knew it was inevitable she’d run into Willow on campus, she didn’t know how the morning’s drama even happened and evolved into this discomfort.

“Will, come in,” she motioned, stepping aside to let her in. “Why didn’t you feel worthy? Didn’t you feel the connection between us? You felt it, I know you did, and I wouldn’t have blurted out those details to just anyone, you’re…special.”

There was a slight blush in Tara’s cheeks and dew in her eyes; there was something about Willow that she welcomed immediately, despite the friction, which seemed to dissipate every passing moment. Maybe her heart was soft to the redhead because she already felt a love for her in a sense; maybe there was a kinship that did indeed run deeper than magic…

“I’m sorry Tara,” Willow apologized, taking the initiative to explain by sitting on Tara’s bed and patting it for Tara to join, “and there’s no reason you should even want to see me right now, I-I know that, I’m a spaz, the spazziest! I…um, just…couldn’t leave it how it was left in the Espresso Pump…and again with the spazziness, I’m…I’m sorry.”

“Then tell me what it was then, why were freaked exactly,” Tara finally took a seat beside the beautiful witch, crossing her legs and inwardly crossing her heart in hopes of not getting it tattered again. “Is it that you’re homopho-“

“Gods, no,” Willow replied, “I…I just I was scared because if…”

“Go ahead Will, just, tell me the truth,”

Sighing and taking a penetrating long breath, Willow knew it was time to make sense of all this, and Tara would be her listening ear. “I-I-I was scared because i--if you were gay and felt how mind blowing our connection was, platonic or…or not, that maybe…I was kinda gay because I felt it too…” her head dropped somewhat after she softly confessed, “then I thought, maybe it was just the magic, maybe it was just because we were both witches, you know, but as soon as you told me you were gay, all I thought about is how I would n-never be g-good enough for you to like me anyway, that I’d never be your type so I wouldn’t have to worry about you m-making a pass at me…”

In an awkward muted moment between them, a solace was felt that both girls didn’t think they’d be feeling for quite sometime. It was as if the world was won by the infinitely good and evil was down in the ashes. Now here they were basking in the afterglow of a battle well fought with the entire world in the palms of their hands.

“H-how could you t-think that you wouldn’t be good enough for me?” Tara asked in disbelief, careful to keep her distance from Willow when all she wanted to do was instinctively caress her pale hands that began to nervously fiddle with the quilt bunched up on the bed.

“I don’t know, you’re just…Tara, it’s hard to explain really, it’s just this feeling that seems to take my stomach and turn it into knots, but the good kind of knots, like…the really good kind,” she answered, feeling the breath she exhaled fall from her thin shapely lips in short spurts.

‘She really thinks that of me? Me? I must be dreaming, really. Note to self, if this is a dream, I have to remember it when I wake up tomorrow,’ Tara thought incredulously with hope cheering on her senses.

“Just so you know Will, my stomach’s been in knots since I first saw you at the Bronze,” she offered her heartfelt response, shedding some shyness to break through to something more. “I told myself you were off limits though, that despite being beautiful and intriguing, you were straight and untouchable, so you have to know I respected who you are from the get-go…”

‘That’s so sweet,’ Willow swooned as she reflected inwardly on how she met the mysterious and attractive blonde the night before, ‘I just…I don’t know what this means, am I gay? Am I bisexual? I guess it doesn’t matter…I-I…just know I like Tara, I’m positive of that now.’

She took a moment to revel in the bliss of Tara's physique; her eloquent features that she could almost swear sung her poetry as she gazed upon them. Her shiny blonde hair that hung beautifully over her slender shoulders, her lips that looked more suited for a sensual kiss than reciting spells and incantations, and those eyes...wow. She was realizing more and more that this was more than fate, and she had to play her cards right from here on in.

“Let’s just start over, okay?” she suggested, boldly adjusting herself on the bed to move closer to the blonde, “I need you to know that in no way do you disgust me and that being gay isn’t bad in my eyes…it’s good actually.”

“Good?” Tara whispered, measuring the heat in Willow’s eyes before slipping her fingers in with hers, then once intertwined, stroking her thumb against her wrist. The subtle grin that grew across the redhead’s lips told her everything she needed to know…

“Yeah, it’s um, perfect actually…” Willow said beyond her smile, trying to keep her rapidly beating heart from leaping from her chest in victory and pleasant fear.

Looking down to their hands and tightening the grip, Tara sighed and decided a fresh start would be more than just a daydream. “I’m Tara,” she re-introduced herself, “pleased to meet you.”

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:47 am 
19. Yummy Face

Great update-y goodness... Good that Willow talked to Tara and explained her freak-out...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:11 pm 
12. Recently Gay

Quote:
‘Tiffany, Brittany Spears, Madonna? Come on Buffy, you’re a vampire slayer, don’t you have anything…edgier?’

That made me smile.

Nice choice of music for angsty Willow, I love The Cure.

I like it that you made Buffy less clueless here, it was a nice switch to actual cannon, and a good way to get Willow to fess-up her true feelings.

Thank god Tara was her usual self though, and the scene between her and Willow was really sweet and natural.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:41 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Oh, now that's much better.

Buffy's talk with Willow was a big help, and I think it was good for Will to verbalize exactly what it was that was going on in her head.

Quote:
"I wasn’t thinking it was sick, wasn’t thinking it would be awkward, nothing. And then I got so…tangled up in my own babbling in my head that I couldn’t even hear her, what she was saying to me, what she needed to hear from me. I…I was too afraid."

Yep, there it is, the big Fear Factor. I totally get that. Coming to the realization that she might be gay would be kind of scary for her. Though we did see a bit of foreshadowing of this in Dopplegangland, I think Willow was still pushing her feelings away, that is, until she met Tara who brought them rushing out, thus the meltdown.

I'm so glad they had their talk and resolved the big misunderstanding. Then the lovely handholding. Such a small thing, but such a huge step.

Nice job again. I can't wait to see where they go from here.

Wimpy

"There was plenty of magic." ~~ Tara

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:14 am 
2. Floating Rose

Great update :) I can't wait to see what happens next.

Tanya

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:08 pm 
3. Flaming O

Awh, this update was so sweet. I'm really enjoing this story, and now that Willow and Tara have their feelings striaghtened out, so to speak, I can see good times in store for them. I'm excited to see what you come with for them next.