The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Magical Chronicles - Chronicles of W/T beginnings
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:11 am 
3. Flaming O

Topics: 3
Something Blue (Short behind the scenes intro to the chronicles)

Author name – CopperAndGold
Rating – PG
Feedback – Yes, please!
Summary – This fic is set in the same world, with the same character development in both Willow and Tara from my main fic "When Erryn found herself". These chronicles will attempt to cover the development of their relationship throughout season 4, up until the beginning of 'When Erynn found herself'. Hope you enjoy this short intro! More to come soon.

November 29th, 1999 – Sunnydale, California

It was so… obviously there and people would just walk right past it. Sometimes, some would even enter and no one seemed to notice or care. It still amazed her. These folks couldn’t claim innocence either; it was written plain as day on the shop’s sign: ‘The Magic Box’.

Her brow furrowed, chewing on a cashew as her head tilted to the side in thought. Might be a euphemism... Her brain joked before quickly chastising herself for her lurid thoughts.

This wasn’t her first attempt. She’d tried talking herself into coming before Samhain. Had stood right exactly here. Nibbling on snacks and watching from across the street like a dork. The store being so busy at Halloween should’ve been a no-brainer, really. But, end result remained: She’d chickened out. At least this time it wasn’t so busy. A quick glance at her trusty Doc Martens made the corner of her lips rise slightly. Last time gave her swollen feet. Better shoes this time…

Shoes should be the least of your worries, girl.

Her bleached locks fell further forward, framing her face as she lowered her eyes in shame – her father’s voice had a way of being all-encompassing and intrusively physical. Center-skull, boom box clear: ‘Thou shalt NOT, or else.’ A zap of kinetic memories making her nerves jump and her heart skip and thump; skin shot through with numbing tingles tightening. Squeezing her consciousness as if through a tube of toothpaste. Vision tunneling, she gasped out loud.

Her gasping, making a sound, snapped her back to herself. Feeling strangers’ scrutinizing gazes, staring and confused as they walked passed.

‘What’s wrong?’ Their eyes conveyed worry but, she knew their derision. She was the cause of a moment of abnormality in their otherwise uneventful and peaceful day. Now they had to interrupt what they were doing, didn’t they? They had to ‘care’, didn’t they? About her. No one should have to care…

Heat flushed her cheeks, offended by her own mind. Futile anger. I left. She thought to herself. He’s not here. The young woman closed her eyes, trying to calm herself. Deep breath, you’re not there anymore. She opened her clear blue eyes again, focusing on the magic store across the street. Things were obviously different here. Maybe she was, too?

“Are you alright?” A disheveled, elderly lady asked politely.

The unexpected encounter obviously startled the young blonde, “Wh-wh,” She stammered and blinked furiously, trying to focus, “Huh? Yes. Yes I’m f-fine.” Those clear blues twinkled, rolled up in a way the woman could only find adorable “Lost in my thoughts.” The girl snickered self-deprecatingly.

Once she’d had a good look at the older woman, it was hard to ignore her state of dress or how filthy she looked. She seemed nice, but in a way that made you wonder why you were so confident in that fact. “You were looking to go to that store?” The lady pointed across the street, “My name is Lucile, by the way.”

The girl nodded ever so slightly, “Tara,” Crossing her arms over her chest, she cleared her throat, “Um… I’ve heh-heard bad things.” Her arms squeezed for comfort as she continued, “I sh-shouldn’t do magic.”

“Hm,” Lucile intoned skeptically, “I know the owner well.” She smiled warmly, showing pearly white teeth in complete contrast with her face, a beacon of hope, “Mr. Bogarty, he’s a very good man.” The woman chuckled lightly, “He wouldn’t lead you astray. He’s a ‘walk-the-line’ type.” She winked conspiratorially.

Although Tara didn’t quite understand what she’d meant, Lucile did seem to know. “I ju-just wanted to… my mom, she was a witch before.” She clenched her jaw, fighting tears back, “I need her, but she’s gone and…” Why am I telling her…? “Anyway, um…” She cleared her throat and pointed across the street, “Mr. Bogarty you said?”

Lucile, seemingly unfazed by the confession merely nodded and grinned, “That’s right, dear.”

After thanking Lucile and crossing the street, Tara couldn’t help but feel she’d just crossed paths with someone some might fear. She shook off the odd feeling before taking a breath, and opening the door to the Magic Box.

You have to go through the pain. The thought ran through Willow’s head over and over again, Go through it… The tone of her inner monologue had become more resentful with the passing hours. What kind of friend wants you to go through pain?

It was late. More like, early morning. Her best friend slept soundly in her own bed, while the redhead laid awake, full of pain and resentment. Buffy knew about pain, of course. Had been through lots of it already so, she must know something about it, right?

Well, she’s not me. Willow thought indignantly. I’m a witch, I do magic. She resigned herself, I can will this away, I know I can. Oz left and wasn’t coming back. It was final, so why on earth should she still be hurting? It just wasn’t fair.

It was 3:30 AM when she decided on a spell to cast. Come tomorrow, she’d be over Oz’ leaving for sure.

Then life could be normal again.

It hadn’t worked. Tara laid in bed, reprimanding herself. Mr. Bogarty had told her that it was important to do the ritual with a clear mind and heart. She’d so desperately wanted to talk with her mother, but she also knew the anger that was there. Why didn’t you leave, mom? Why didn’t you and I move here… we would have fit in…

And there was the rub, wasn’t it. Tara didn’t fit in anywhere it seemed. Only with her mother had she felt at home, in some way at least. A common bond that made facing the world a lot easier. And now, here… in this place, Tara was alone. With her inner demons.

Why didn’t you move us here, mom?

The sun would be up in a couple hours, and she was exhausted. But the question remained as she drifted to sleep.

The next day was mostly uneventful for Tara. She’d made it through almost unnoticed, until a professor had had the great idea of pairing up students for an exercise. People were good at not reacting to her stutter, most times. But, years of being attentive to facial expressions made it so little tells were as obvious to her as a neon sign. Impatience, irritation – easily discernable and so, made her stutter all the worst.

Long story short, it sucked.

Now in the lounge she decided to look around a bit. Different clubs were forming on campus, table top gaming groups, activism groups… The flyers and advertisement for them were littered all over. Tara leaned in closer to a board with different posters, not really thinking she’d be willing to join any group anyway. She was still curious, though. If she were less… Lesbian alliance? Her eyes goggled, she took a step back.

When she came to Sunnydale Tara had decided to be herself, no matter what. That included not being in the ‘closet’ as it were. She didn’t hide her sexual orientation… but she didn’t exactly flaunt it, either. If asked, she’d be honest. Would she join a group though? A group about being a lesbian?

Her cheeks reddened the more she thought about it. It was a sure way to be noticed, meet other likeminded girls… maybe get hit on. Tara gulped, being noticed wasn’t so much what she was going for. Nonetheless, she did take a flyer. Just… you know, in case she changed her mind later.

Chess club? She grimaced at the plain looking flyer. A pink and yellow one peeked from under it. Tara lifted the chess club flyer to reveal the colorful one beneath. A Wicca group!? Her mind cheered. Other witches? You’ve got to be kidding!

For the first time in her life, Tara Maclay felt the urge to be part of a social group. Now, for the courage to sign up. She thought ruefully on her way back to her dorm, both flyer neatly tucked in her bag.

The smell of chocolate chip cookies was still clinging to her nostrils. Willow was now home, duly contrite and remorseful for her ‘will be done’ spell. Of course she hadn’t meant for it to go how it did. Blinding poor Giles, and Buffy with the Spike kissing. She grimaced, Willow had only wanted to stop hurting.

Then that D’Hoffryn guy nearly made her poop her pants. No thank you!

One thing was for sure, this only served to make her understand the whole ‘go through the pain’ thing. Doing anything but seemed to only make things worse. Instead of wallowing or avoiding, she should just accept it for the time it’s there. Maybe new interests or hobbies, new friends? Something else than moping… Maybe a computer club or something.

She’d check the lounge for some inspiration tomorrow.

Last edited by CopperAndGold on Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Magical Chronicles - Something Blue (Behind the scenes)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:35 pm 
3. Flaming O

Topics: 4
:bounce yay!!! A new CandG story!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:23 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 1
Definitely liking; I've done some backstory stuff myself and I always enjoy seeing someone else's take on it. [Sometimes I make it into headcanon history behind my own stories -f or example Tara's mother's name in my 'verse I got from the sadly moving and sadly unfinished "Broken Dolls"-, and this definitely seems like one of those so far.:-)] I can totally see these two playing through similar scenes. (Maybe I won't exactly be able to "steeal" this; in my 'verse Tara isn't a gay virgin when she meets Willow, which she so often is here at Pens.) The characterization matches well with what I got from the show.

Sue: We don't talk about things like that right after, you know that, no saying those things in The Moment.
Kim: (moves the hand aside) Screw The Moment. I *love* you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:10 am 
3. Flaming O

I'm thrilled to read your "Behind the Scenes"-version of seasons 4 (and 5 until the Family-episode?) because of your brilliant way to give us an insight into Tara's and Willow's thoughts and emotions.

This part made a special impact on me:

Quote:
Shoes should be the least of your worries, girl.

Her bleached locks fell further forward, framing her face as she lowered her eyes in shame – her father’s voice had a way of being all-encompassing and intrusively physical. Center-skull, boom box clear: ‘Thou shalt NOT, or else.’ A zap of kinetic memories making her nerves jump and her heart skip and thump; skin shot through with numbing tingles tightening. Squeezing her consciousness as if through a tube of toothpaste. Vision tunneling, she gasped out loud.

Her gasping, making a sound, snapped her back to herself. Feeling strangers’ scrutinizing gazes, staring and confused as they walked passed.

‘What’s wrong?’ Their eyes conveyed worry but, she knew their derision. She was the cause of a moment of abnormality in their otherwise uneventful and peaceful day. Now they had to interrupt what they were doing, didn’t they? They had to ‘care’, didn’t they? About her. No one should have to care…

Heat flushed her cheeks, offended by her own mind. Futile anger. I left. She thought to herself. He’s not here. The young woman closed her eyes, trying to calm herself. Deep breath, you’re not there anymore. She opened her clear blue eyes again, focusing on the magic store across the street. Things were obviously different here. Maybe she was, too?

I really wished I could reach into your story and hug Tara and tell her "Hold on, you'll meet your soulmate in a few days!"

Now I'm looking forward to reading Tara's experience of that fateful wikka-group-meeting where she first meets Willow. I always imagined it was love at first sight for her, I'm curious if you'll write it that way.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:04 am 
3. Flaming O

:bigwave Hey there, is there any chance that we will get to read your take on the girls' first meeting soon? I would be thrilled and I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one!

Post subject: Magical Chronicles - Hush (Plus, Feedback)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:27 am 
3. Flaming O

Thanks for hanging in there with me, kittens. It's been life... and more life. Here's a long awaited update! Time for some quiet in here...

• Author name – CopperAndGold
• Rating – PG
• Feedback – Yes, please!
• Summary – World: When Erynn Found Herself. Chronicles of Willow and Tara's beginnings.
• Note - Second Installment in the Magical Chronicles series: Hush.

Hush

My Heart wasn't in it.

Why didn’t I just say something? Fingers twisting in her shirt, Tara morosely walked the halls back to her room. They’re so clueless. That girl - Willow - was right. Her mouth twisted self-deprecatingly knowing that if she’d have spoken up, it would have probably been less than gracefully executed. “Stupid mouth.” She grumbled to herself, fishing the keys to her door from her bag.

Meeting Chrissie, the leader of the Wicca group, had been a foreshadowing event earlier that day. Tara had been early, not wanting to be greeted by a large group. The only one present at the time had been Chrissie, sitting daintily and going through notes. After forcing herself to stand straight and taker her courage into her hands, the reserved young woman finally introduced herself to the group lead.

But, at the inevitable stammer that eventually resulted, Chrissie’s demeanor took on an overtly-sweet, patronizing tone. Indignation bounced inside Tara’s stomach like a ping-pong ball, reasoned into shame as quickly as her neurons could fire. She’d dissolved right there on the spot. Had become a nodding and smiling fool sitting on the floor as others had started to join.

She hadn’t introduced herself to any of the others; just sat there staring at linoleum tiles. Hearing about bacchanals as if they were light-hearted get-togethers and, of course, there were bake sales. It had astounded her the sheer vapidity present in one room. Surely, it went against the laws of physics somehow? Was that how black holes were formed?

The blonde took off her blouse, leaving her more comfortable in her jean skirt and strap top. She ran her fingers through her hair a few times with a huff, messing up the meticulous pattern she’d laid down earlier and flopped down onto her bed. Taking in a lungful of air and letting it out slowly, Tara closed her eyes and tried to let the stress of the day out of her body.

Well, there’s the wacky notion of spells. Her lips quirked involuntarily, hearing that soft voice in her mind. Willow, she remembered, had the cutest smile she’d ever seen. Those words had drawn Tara’s eyes from the cold floor to a face radiating warmth. Although the beauty of the girl wasn’t lost on Tara, it was her… flow. Her energy; what some call an aura. The sight had bolstered her enthusiasm if only for a second – Willow was a witch, of this she was certain.

Then, when those girls started making fun of the redheaded pixie for actually speaking sense, it was against her instincts to even speak up at all. But, she had… even if half-heartedly. It had irked her, the way those girls were talking down to Willow. No one could blame Tara for feeling compelled to defend the seemingly knowledgeable… redheaded… cute and powerful… witch.

A grumble loosed itself from within her chest as she draped an arm over her eyes resolutely. You went all white knight, admit it. Tara snorted at the mental image of herself mounted on a white steed, covered in armor. Sword in one hand with a rose clutched between her teeth. Before her imagination could get a hold of Willow in this particular tableau, she shook herself out of it. As if… get a grip. She quickly decided on taking care of a project she’d put off until after the meeting, tonight.

Emptying her bag onto the desk; laying out her books for the next day, she made sure to affix her sticky-note with Willow’s name to her desktop.

Tara would summon the courage to contact the redhead one day soon. It was enough she’d been able to ask Chrissie the young woman’s name once the meeting was over.

For now, though, she had lights to string up.

It was quiet as the roommates worked on their studies. The only sounds were those of Willow’s laptop keys being struck intermittently and that of Buffy’s book pages being flipped at long intervals. A peaceful end to a letdown of a day for the studious redhead until her friend moaned and grumbled in annoyance from the bed. “This psych stuff is shrinking my brain. Pretty sure shrinking the brain is a bad.” Buffy rubbed her tired eyes, “Didn’t Giles talk to us about shrunken Voodoo heads?”

Twisting in her chair, Willow grinned, “Dunno, you’re alive… maybe it’ll just-” She tapped the side of her head, “You know, concentrate your smarts.” Her voice had a hopeful tone to it.

Buffy’s face twisted in obvious disagreement, “What, like orange juice?” Her eyebrows rose, “Am I gonna get all pulpy and delicious?”

She weighed the different comparisons in her busy head, “No, no - more like a-a soup! You know, like-like when you reduce it to concentrate the flavor.” Willow beamed from her seat in her bright-pink pj’s, “See, more yummy-smarts!”

Buffy didn’t seem convinced but waved it off, “As long as I’m delicious.”

With a tight-lipped and overtly-supportive smile, the redhead nodded once sharply, “That’s the spirit.” She said cheerfully, turning back towards the desk.

“Arrgh!” The slayer grunted and pushed her book away before sitting up on the edge of her bed. “Break time.” She declared decidedly.

Willow winced and glanced from the corner of her eye at her laptop, “I was on kind of a roll…”

As she pulled a couple of cans from the mini-fridge, Buffy shook her head and handed one of them to her friend, “Come on, you’ve been at it for two hours straight.” She popped her can and twisted Willows seat so she would face away from the desk, “I’m bored and you know I’d just be bugging you.”

“Fine.” The redhead acquiesced easily, “The whole being on a roll was a big fib, anyway.” She shrugged, “More like being on a seesaw.” Willow pouted.

“What gives?” Asked Buffy with a grunt as she stretched out her back. “Still disappointed there were no real witchy friends at group?”

“Yeah,” Willow took a sip before continuing, “This one girl looked like she was at least going to humor me, but…” Shaking her head, annoyed at the memory she continued, frowning, “They were so stuck up, she looked scared of saying anything.”

A serious look fell across the slayer’s face, “Were they mean?” She asked, “To you?”

Rolling her eyes and puffing out the air from her cheeks, Willow replied, “Only in the way ignorance can be mean.” She shook her head dismissively, “They think magic is so obviously b.s. it’s worthy of ridicule.”

Buffy’s eyes rolled as well, knowing how aggravating it could be to know that what others laugh at as fairytales, is actually quite real. “Are you going back?” She asked hesitantly.

Willow sighed in defeat, “I don’t see why I would.” She sulked at her friend.

The petite blonde frowned in sympathy before trying to lighten the mood, “Y’know, some say Walsh is a witch. Maybe she can teach you some stuff.” She joked.

A grin formed on Willow’s lips, “I doubt they mean the same kind of witch I want to be.” Willow contradicted.

“I don’t know,” Buffy joked, waving at the book laying on her bed, “Pretty sure she’s casting a confusion spell on my brain with that book.” At her friend’s amused and disbelieving expression, she petulantly added, “Pfft, what do you know, anyway?” Cocking a hip, she crossed her arms. “Miss ‘I can only float a pencil’ and make mortal enemies get engaged.”

“I know,” Stunned, Willow started hesitantly with a cocked eyebrow, making the word stretch, “That it doesn’t take a witch to confuse you.” She winced in excited fright at the look of surprise on the slayer’s face, “Your slayer brains do that by them-SELVES” Her voice rose in volume and squeaked it last words as her face was met with a pillow with a loud puff of air.

It wasn't Heartless.

Okay, so she’d made it all the way to her first class before realizing no one could speak, so what? For Tara not notice she couldn’t speak wasn’t so incomprehensible since she was pretty quiet, most times.

But, how could she have missed how silent… how voiceless the school was?

Classes were cancelled and everyone was in a state of confused fear, including herself. After experiencing the eerie atmosphere of the cafeteria to at least get some breakfast, she quickly retreated to the comfort of her room.

The lights put up the night before were dimly lighting the space around her in a warm glow. Tara chewed on strawberries while reading, trying to figure out what kind of magic Sunnydale was under. It had to be outsider magic, they could claim laryngitis all they wanted on the news.

She could feel it, the subtly insidious lulling thrum in the air. It resonated and was dark. Knowing they sat on a hellmouth, indeed her whole reason for being here, Tara also knew the kinds of things this place attracted. But, all she was able to find so far were spells that could only be performed on one person at a time. In a town with a population in the thousands… well, she didn’t have time or the will for all that.

The witch pushed her books aside, irritated at her lack of success so far. It was almost sundown now and, as much as she could admit to enjoying the quiet, Tara was getting more and more worried. Behind a spell, there must be an intent. A goal, whatever it may be.

What purpose would rendering a whole town mute, serve? The blonde could see why one would want someone else to just… quit talking. But… A whole town?

She might need some help, she thought. The sticky-note with Willow’s name stared at her from the desk’s edge; there was a good chance the girl was a witch. Right? Right… so, she might be able to help and I have the perfect reason… to call her… or something.

Figuring she had a good chance to find Willow’s name in the school directory, seeing as her name wasn’t a common one, she swiftly went looking through her copy. Some students listed their phone numbers as well, but, unfortunately not one Willow Rosenberg. Tara did find the girl’s dorm and room number, though.

Her heart thumped in her chest and seemed to falter. So I should just… go there. Tara stood from her chair and crossed her arms, started pacing the room. I don’t have to go now… She quickly deduced she wasn’t prepared enough, she was all frumpy, hadn’t had a shower and how would they even communicate? Plus, she hadn’t found anything yet… she should at least show up with something, surely.

The more she rationalized the situation, the less she found herself willing to go. I’m not ready. It was decided, she would stay in tonight and try to sleep even though she had a bad feeling something dark was stirring.

We Collect Them.

Fairytales can come true, it can happen to you Willow sang the tune out in her mind while busying herself around the room. If they want your heart…

Today had been too much. She never thought about how exhausting it would be to be a mime. Really, she tried as much as she could never to think of mimes. Images of voiceless, silently screaming faces as their hearts were being cut out kept flashing through her mind throughout the day. Willow was now alone, worried and scared. So, she busied herself and sang off-key in her head.

It was all about distractions these days. Distractions from missing Oz, missing Buffy and Xander – the good old days. Distractions from feeling like her social life was on pause. Mainly, right now though, she missed Oz.

If he were here he’d find a way to make her feel safe, she thought. He never needed words for that… Willow missed his presence, his arms, his heart. No, don’t think about hearts…

Oh, look – a laptop. Endless distractions on the old internet. Yes’sir, a lot of good entertaining distractions. It was late but, after Giles’ exposition earlier, Willow wasn’t too keen on dreaming this night. She began plugging away at looking up more elegant ways to code a function she finally got working in her latest program. Now, it was just a matter of reducing a few hundred lines into a more smartly designed, and concise whole.

Hush now, you’re home.

Shouldn’t have waited. Tara thought guiltily as she finished off her croissant. I might have been able to help, now people are dead! She couldn’t stand the feeling, at all.

Lacing up her boots as quick as she could, the witch viciously twisted her finger on the pull which made her wince in pain. You couldn’t help, you’d just make things worse. It wasn’t her voice. Much too sure of itself, much too final. You shouldn’t even think of using magic, Tara.

He wasn’t there, with her in the room. He wasn’t even in the same state as her. But, her father had a way of reaching her that was still sometimes overwhelming to the young witch. Only by the influence of her aunt had she been introduced to another way. A new paradigm… where she was a witch, and that was ok. A witch with a demon must be better than a demon alone, no? She could face it here, on the hellmouth… maybe. But, she needed magic for that. So she would use it, and try and ignore her father’s judgement ringing from the trappings of her mind.

Maybe no one else will die tonight. Tara thought as she decidedly peeled the sticky-note from the registry, making sure she had Willow’s address with her. Along with her books, she left the room hoping the redhead would be there and that, together, they could help. At least in some small way.

The atmosphere all around her was thick and taught like piano string as she sped-walked towards Willow’s building, her heart thumping away in her throat. Tara’s breath came fast and shallow, clutching her books against her chest.

She’d often been afraid before, at differing levels. But, all those times she’d known what she was up against. Looking around, trying to spot any danger she might encounter made her lose track of her feet. Tara tripped forward, dropping her books to the ground which she immediately set to picking back up.

Then the faint sounds of metal scrapings and thick fabric rustling, hit her ears. The noise only noticeable in the dead quiet, eerie and out of place. When Tara turned her head and saw… them, her books were forgotten in an instant. Oh my God!

She took off at a sprint for shelter, having already almost reached Stevenson Hall. Tara knew they were chasing her without having to look back. She could feel the down-soft hair on the nape of her neck standing on end. How she could sense phantom hands grasping at her shoulders – being chased was nothing new to her, but it had been a while.

She’d been hunted down like a wild rabbit trying to escape discipline, many times. Tara grew fast enough to outrun her big brother in the end.

She was a fast runner.

Willow was on a broomstick, flying around on her broomstick when distant thunder boomed. “But, the sun’s out?” She wondered aloud as again sounded another boom, louder and now repeating.

She was standing naked by a tall fire on a full moon night - staring into the flames. Drums beat out the thunder’s rhythm, faster in cadence until the flames parted. Willow reached in unhesitantly, plucked a beating heart from the fire’s center.

She saw herself, blankly staring and smiling at this beating heart – her eyes pitch black.

BANG, BANG, BANG!

With a start, Willow awoke to the sound of someone frantically banging on doors in the hall. Her dream evaporated, and now she was petrified of opening her door. Those gentlemen were out there and she was alone.

The banging continued and was moving as if the person was moving down her hall. Willow tried to compose herself, thinking out her options. But, even though reason told her to not go out there – she couldn’t just sit there knowing.

Even though she couldn’t think of a way to help right this second - as doors didn’t seem to stop the Gentlemen before - she couldn’t just sit idly by.

So, she carefully looked out for whoever was in need… though it was unfortunate she had to look right, and not left.

What number was it!? Tara had dropped the note along with her books long before, and couldn’t for the literal life of her remember Willow’s room number.

Every door remained shut to her, no matter how much she knocked. Try as she might, screaming for help was a futile endeavor. She knocked, and knocked, and…

Yes! Open, open! Help me… Tara thought frantically as the door opened only to reveal the grotesque face of a gentlemen grinning at her with iron teeth. Holding a bleeding, human heart. Swallowing an urge to gag, the witch turned face and ran full tilt – tears stinging her eyes, making her path blurry.

She thought she was dead for sure when she quite literally bulled over a tiny figure that had been in her way. The impact sent Tara to her knees, the hard floor bruising them.

Willow’s mind screamed as her ankle was twisted, falling to the ground next to her assailant. She fully believed she’d been attacked for a moment until her eyes took in the sight down the hall of Gentlemen and their lackeys coming at them. The nightmarish scene took the air from her lungs but a hand firmly yanked at her arm, pulling and then holding her up.

The stranger and her limping-self ran as fast as they could to the stairwell, and together they took the stairs down to the ground level where the laundry room was. She wasn’t sure who was leading who, all Willow knew was that they were racing against time... The monsters were catching up.

If a decision had been made between up and down, her legs had made it. Tara was exhausted and, although she was too scared to be relieved she’d found her, she wasn’t too scared to worry she’d seriously hurt Willow in the fall. The girl was limping badly, so going down instead of up was probably for the best anyway.

The halls were dimly lit on this level, but Tara knew about the laundry room and how it would be open at this hour.

They pushed the door shut in the nick of time. It immediately rattled against its hinges as the creatures began to beat into it. It won’t hold… Willow thought, frantically looking around for something to barricade the entrance.

She spotted a soda machine and thought they might stand a chance after all. Willow patted her companion’s arm, indicating the machine and together they hurried to it.

Tara pushed and pushed, weakened by her run. Feeling the bulk of the machine – it felt futile. Willow seemed to come to the same conclusion as she fell back from it to the ground, clutching her ankle with a grimace of pain that tugged at the blonde’s heart as she knelt to face her fiery-haired friend.

It was soon apparent to Tara that Willow hadn’t given up, just yet. Her features tightened with concentration, the air around her started to shimmer in Tara’s vision. Her aura, building in color intensity – reds darkening, blues deepening – a storm brewing. The blonde witch was transfixed as Willow’s powers danced before her eyes.

The soda machine rattled in place under the onslaught. And it was an onslaught, Willow was so powerful! Looking back and forth from the machine to the other witch, Tara understood quickly what wasn’t working. It wasn’t for lack of power…

I Suck! Willow’s head hurt, her ankle hurt. She’d given it all she had and still the damn thing just sat there. What are we gonna do now? She was running out of ideas, fast. Eyes glued to the door, she was slowly giving into her fear.

Then a warm feather tickled the tips of her fingers.

Looking down at her left hand, with surprise she noticed another had joined it. Long, soft fingers slipping between her own – she stared in fascination, so out of common occurrence and out of place the interaction felt, until…

The machine had to be moved. There was no other way, and she knew Willow could do it. She just needed control, focused intent – things Tara knew well. Doing as her mother had done with her, entwining their fingers so as to connect and direct, she couldn’t spare a thought on the awkwardness or even the ethics of her actions.

Tara squeezed gently as she gingerly opened up her channels, allowing her energies to flow down her arm to her hand. Just letting Willow know in their voiceless states that she could help, her hand becoming the ambassador to her magic.

Wait… what… Willow’s mind was reeling. She was staring at a stranger’s hand, clutching her own. And it was… tingling and warm. She looked up, realizing for the first time she hadn’t even had a good look at the girl she was with. There hadn’t been time but, now that she did, Willow did recognize her. The girl who would have humored her about magic, at Wicca group. I know you… Tara, I think…

Yeah… The redhead’s eyes were so expressive, Tara didn’t need her to speak to know she’d been recognized. She straightened her back, emboldened by the fact Willow might now be aware she too was a witch. We can do this. The blonde thought resolutely, absolutely certain of Willow’s ability. You can do this.

Whoa… She was lightheaded, hit with a sledgehammer in the chest. The blue in Tara’s eyes seemed to swirl, the strength radiating from her making her features prominent in Willow’s haze. She could feel something enveloping her, cradling her and beckoning her energies forward at the same time. She could swear she tasted honey on the air, and with a sudden rise in temperature Tara squeezed her hand and everything in Willow broke loose and slipped out. Her head inconsequentially snapped to the right in reaction to the release, like how a big sneeze shakes your frame.

Tara was shocked at the outcome. Holy crap. She shook her head looking at their hands, baffled by the ease with… Wasn’t even this easy with mom. The power they’d channeled together, the ease with which they were able to connect and hold. The trust needed… but they were strangers. How?

She… Willow had become hot, honeyed goo. Whoa… The soda machine now firmly against the door. How… I feel all… Every one of her movements felt like they were made through warm molasses. Even though the only part of her moving were her eyes. Tingles… Looking into the blonde’s blue eyes, a blushing smile started to form on her drunken face. That was so… mmm

She couldn’t focus on the hows and whys for long. Tara was being carried along Willow’s sensual post-spell numbness, their hands being still connected. With a start, she realized what was happening and pulled away. At the disappointed surprise in Willow’s eyes, she could only give an apologetic smile. Sorry… She was sure she’d inadvertently contributed sensual vibes, being she was most decidedly attracted to this pixie who was kissed by fire.

Tara bowed her head, obscuring her eyes with her hair. Retreat from the intent stare she was receiving, not wanting her attraction noticed. Willow seemed… inebriated though, which made the blonde smirk. She looked kind of goofy, grinning like a fool with her tongue pressed against her front teeth.

Tara also felt somewhat fuzzy, but she’d only been a riverbed for Willow’s current. Hers was more of a static charge she felt protective of. She’d hang onto it as long as she could, knowing it would eventually only dissipate back into the earth.

She wanted to see it up close. Willow was so proud and excited, she stood up to go to the door when her ankle gave out. With a silent shriek, she fell back to the floor grasping at her ankle, now decidedly sobered by the pain. Please don’t be broken… I hate casts so much…

Her shoelaces were being loosened, Tara was gently peeling the shoe from her foot to release the pressure.

As much as she should have felt ashamed at how familiar she was being, Tara didn’t. All she wanted to do was take Willow’s pain away, if she could. She didn’t want to care about the whys, so she didn’t think about them. With a glance up at the redhead while indicating the sock, she pulled at the top when she received a nod of approval.

Willow’s ankle was swollen and angry looking, badly twisted. With a tightened fist, Tara motioned up and down bending at the wrist as if to ask if the redhead could move her foot up and down. When Willow tried, she’d have yelped if she could. The foot did move though stiffly.

She’ll need crutches for sure… The blonde new all about twisted ankles, hers being susceptible after a few bad twists. Unless I can take the swelling down, at least… Tara figured she could try returning Willow’s charge to her, with the intent to heal. Worth a shot…

Tara was deep in thought, and the expression on her face was nothing if not adorable to Willow. Her brows were knitted, her forehead crinkled in concentration and her eyes seemed to dart from one imaginary filing cabinet to another. Pulling information and connecting dots, questioning… What is she up to? All she knew was she was exhausted, in pain and that Tara’s hands were really warm and so, so soft. Why is she doing jazz hands at me?

A spell? Tara tried to think out loud, wiggling her fingers at the redhead’s foot. I could try and help with a spell? She wasn’t about to use magic on her friend without her consent, so she tried to make sure Willow knew what she was asking. Her eyes pleaded understanding, brows raised in question. When the redhead caught on, she seemed surprised it was an option. The blue-eyed witch shrugged as if to say “I can try.” and Willow nodded yes enthusiastically, if only to watch Tara cast.

It wasn’t very show-ey as far as magic castings went. Since the energy had already been harnessed, all Tara needed to do was control its release in direction and temperature. She took Willow’s warm, dainty little foot into her hands. Her palms on both sides of her friend’s ankle, she collapsed her fingers knitting them together cradling the heel.

She imagined electricity coursing through the grid of her skin, Willow’s static running across her body. Tara then imagined the grid extending along, around the foot in her hands. Slowly, the grid shrunk from her body and disappeared. The only remnant around her hands and Willow’s ankle.

With a slow exhale, Tara let Willow’s energy return to her painfully slowly. Causing the resisted instinctual pull from Willow to form heat.

Willow’s eyes grew big, she nodded frantically smiling all the while. It’s working!

The blonde was relieved to hear this as she was fading fast. They were both exhausted, but Tara knew she’d hurt tomorrow. When was the last time I ran so much?

Empty. Willow’s charge was gone, she was tapped out. Tara could’ve very well just laid right there on that dirty floor and go to sleep. But, there were voices outside the door.

“Huh?” Tara heard from within the laundry room. It had been Willow, she’d also heard the voices outside.

The blonde witch cleared her throat, “Um… I guess w-we can talk now?” She asked aloud, looking at the ceiling as if asking a god.

Willow smiled, “I guess we can!” She started lacing her shoe back on, “My ankle feels much better, thank you.” To which Tara only shrugged, and bowed her head.

They both stood, rung out and wobbly staring at the soda machine still barricading the door. “Oh.” Willow shot Tara a sideways look, “Right.” At Tara’s pitiful sound in response, the redhead couldn’t help a short giggle. “Think we can do it again?”

Where does she get all this energy from? I’m exhausted… Tara thought as she nodded all the same. “I might need to sleep for a week after, though.” She half-joked.

Willow offered her hand without question and together they set to move the machine one last time. This time it wasn’t as easy to connect, it wasn’t instinct compelling them together for survival. Their combined effort moved the dispenser only a few inches. Just enough to open the door and get out, but they managed.

The ooze outside wasn’t expected. The smell either… The witches tried as best they could to sidestep the mess. “Can I see you tomorrow?” Willow asked hopefully, “All I want is a shower and my bed right now, but I want for us to you know…” She waved a hand at her face, “Talk, this time. I can explain what all this is.” The redhead indicated the dead creatures at their feet.

Tara was elated, there was so much she wanted to know about Willow. To think she actually made a friend amidst all this chaos, “I’d like that,” She nodded and smiled, crossing her arms over her chest, “We could m-meet after class? In the main hall?”

“Absolutely!” Willow said as they walked, “I’m Willow, by the way.” She belatedly introduced herself, with a chuckle.

Tara smiled behind her hair, looking up as if to say “I know” but, in reply she only said: “Tara.”

Heart shaped boxes.

“And so I mime a box opening and closing,” Buffy was relating her night’s adventures to a freshly showered, and comfy p.j’ed Willow who was all tucked and cozy in her bed. “If he’d have broken one more useless thing I’d be dead.”

As much as Buffy’s night seemed scary, Willow didn’t much find cause to compare. She was just happy things had turned out ok, and that they could talk again. “Let it be said the mime portion of the Slayer training routine does not go to waste.” She joked around a yawn.

“What about you?” The Slayer asked, still fully dressed and zany from the fight. “You look beat, and I know you’ve been out there.” She scowled at her friend.

Willow’s mouth opened, then closed. Opened again before making a strangled sound, “Oh, you know,” She felt, what? Not ashamed, just… “Same old, same old. Get spooked, hide in a laundry room.” I don’t want to have to explain everything. She reasoned with herself. She’d get worried…

“Yep, just your average night in Sunnydale.” Willow didn’t like to lie to her best friend. She just felt like keeping her new friend and magic practice outside the Scooby life. Where she could practice and share things with Tara without feeling like she had to report back.

At least, for now.

Post subject: Re: Magical Chronicles - Chronicles of W/T beginnings
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:51 pm 
3. Flaming O

I must've been really distracted when I posted since the whole feedback replies portion of it is... missing. I bet it was a case of select-all + cut... and forget to paste back in.

So here's feedback replies, take deux.

DaddyCatALSO wrote:
Definitely liking; I've done some backstory stuff myself and I always enjoy seeing someone else's take on it. [Sometimes I make it into headcanon history behind my own stories -f or example Tara's mother's name in my 'verse I got from the sadly moving and sadly unfinished "Broken Dolls"-, and this definitely seems like one of those so far.:-)] I can totally see these two playing through similar scenes. (Maybe I won't exactly be able to "steeal" this; in my 'verse Tara isn't a gay virgin when she meets Willow, which she so often is here at Pens.) The characterization matches well with what I got from the show.

I love backstory building. It's my favorite part of writing characters that were already established. You're right about how Tara's is often depicted as a lesbian virgin in behind the scene fics. I've always felt that was... sweet, and stuff. But, ultimately unrealistic to me when I juxtapose that to her inner sense of strength when it comes to what she knows about herself.

I don't know if you've read any of 'When Erynn found herself' in which verse these chronicles are set, but I flirt a bit with Tara's past in that story in which this is part of Tara and Will's growth as a couple. That fic is still on hold for completion, though - which tends to get frustrating if the storyline is one you're invested in.

When time permits, I'll be looking into your work! And, will leave feedback of my own - as best I can. I really suck at it.

Will's redemption wrote:
I'm thrilled to read your "Behind the Scenes"-version of seasons 4 (and 5 until the Family-episode?) because of your brilliant way to give us an insight into Tara's and Willow's thoughts and emotions.

I'm really happy you're enjoying it! Being able to come back to it now is super refreshing for me. I won't make promises as I've done in the past, but my juices are flowing.

Quote:
I really wished I could reach into your story and hug Tara and tell her "Hold on, you'll meet your soulmate in a few days!"

Now I'm looking forward to reading Tara's experience of that fateful wikka-group-meeting where she first meets Willow. I always imagined it was love at first sight for her, I'm curious if you'll write it that way.

Hmmm, well it's definitely infatuation at first sight. :flirt I just don't think Tara would fall so fast... Willow? Perhaps. Tara is a bit more guarded as far as I've had her developed in my headcanon.

Will's redemption wrote:
:bigwave Hey there, is there any chance that we will get to read your take on the girls' first meeting soon? I would be thrilled and I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one!

Yes, I'd say chances are good. :wink

Post subject: Re: Magical Chronicles - Chronicles of W/T beginnings
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:21 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

I like the meeting stories too. Look forward to reading more. Thanks for writing.

Meeting Expectations