The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Top Ten:You know you've been reading to much fan fic when..
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 6:44 pm 
10. You check the Pens board day and night, every hour on the hour ( as much as possible )

9. Fanfic starts to blend in with each other. Example: your reading the update to the Kali Prophecy, and think back to the Rainbow Writers Season Seven and say : "Weren't the holes in Willow's head cured??"

8. You start making top ten lists on the subject.

7. More addicted then actually watching the show.

6. Your at work, and you can't help but think how good it would be to be a chicken casserole.

5. Your reading the Torah/Bible, and suddenly the charachter of "Ruth" has a whole new meaning.

4. You start to wonder how long you can really go without checking the board..

3. You wonder how upset an author would be if you started to write sequals to their fan fiction.

2. When Final Exam time rolls around in school, well...we all know how bad that's going to get.

and the number one reason you know your reading to much fic?

1. ...when your mind goes blank and you start to think about fic to much to think of a good number one reason. ;)

( Feel free to add on to the list folks )

Tara nodded in agreement "She has magic fingers." Then, as though the words had just echoed back to her and sounded not at all right, she perked up and glanced around at the others. "On the keyboard."

TheWisdom of War, Chris Golden

'My heart is cleverer then I and it knows what to do.'-MC Legends of the Kiss

Post subject: Re: Top Ten:You know you've been reading to much fan fic whe
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 7:04 pm 
3.1 You e-mail the author to ask permission to write said sequel.

Everybody knew Bagheera, and nobody cared to cross his
path; for he was as cunning as Tabaqui, as bold as the wild buffalo, and as reckless as the wounded elephant. But he had a voice as soft as wild honey dripping from a tree, and a skin softer than down.
Rudyard Kipling

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 7:17 pm 
So so true. :)

I definitely know what you mean about stories bleeding into one another. I used to only read them when they were finished but then got hooked on a couple and then a couple more and a couple more . . . As long as I don't read them within a few days of writing my own, I'm okay.

You had me worried for a moment. I thought I screwed up in The Kali Prophecy. :eek

Great list!

--celia

---------------------------------

"That was just rude. Now I forget what I was saying."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 7:45 pm 
Quote:
3. You wonder how upset an author would be if you started to write sequals to their fan fiction.

Well I've got four S4 stories planned for S4 of 'Reality Check' but I've deleted nine from the original running order, and my S6 only consists of the four stories I've got planned so I'm open to offers...:)

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Willow: ...I have to tell you....

Tara: No, I understand you have to be with the
person you l-love

Willow: I am

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 8:03 pm 
Y'know, this is kind of a random sidenote ... but honestly, I've often thought that it would be >hilariously< funny if someone started writing sequels to other people's fanfiction. Or filler scenes. Or alternate takes on some fan writer's storyline - because, really, it's not like the author of the original could >do< anything about it, as long as that original author and the original story were included with ME/Joss et al. in the disclaimers, y'know? It'd fanfiction of fanfiction, and as the original author is a fan writer, they wouldn't have a moral leg to stand on to get pissed off if someone wrote fic based on their fic.

Or, y'know, that could just be me - I'm callous and strange.

-Sass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 8:14 pm 
Sassette - not callous or strange at all; not wishing to seek publicity for my own work, but at the beginning of "Mission Statement" amidst all the other disclaimers and crap I specifically invite other authors to set works within the story arc if they feel so inclined. A story arc can be a big playground and there's plenty or room for everyone.

path; for he was as cunning as Tabaqui, as bold as the wild buffalo, and as reckless as the wounded elephant. But he had a voice as soft as wild honey dripping from a tree, and a skin softer than down.
Rudyard Kipling

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 8:49 pm 
True ... and that's my personal philosophy ... that story arcs have plenty of room for other stuff, and that's why fanfiction exists.

But it's kind of a cultural no-no in the fanfic world to write derivative stories without permission, even when the original piece is in the disclaimers. I certainly see WHY it's a no-no ... it mostly has to do with the politeness factor when dealing with people who are, really, your peers in a "never met face to face" kind of way ... but still - it would really crack me up if someone, without permission, picked a story and wrote a sequel to it, giving all disclaimers and credit to the original story and author just like they're given to the series.

And what makes me callous and strange, is that part of the amusement factor involved, for me, would be the idea that this action would >probably< raise something of a fuss, even though whoever did this would only be doing to the original author what the original author had already done to the creators of the series.

Though, I think, that would probably depend on which author was used as a basis for a new story - some authors are more protective of their work than others, and don't want to see other people dealing with their storylines ... which is a perfectly valid viewpoint, of course, and I do realize that it's kind of ... not nice ... that I think it would be hilariously funny if this happened and it started a ruckus.

That is not to say, however, that I ever find it funny or acceptable when someone does something like this >without< including the original work in the disclaimer - that's called plagiarism (preaching to the choir, I know - I don't think anyone here would ever do something like that, but it happens in fandoms every now and again ... though usually the entire story is lifted and a new name is slapped on it).

And boy have I gotten off the original topic.

Ooops.

-Sass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 8:57 pm 
Sass,

All this says to me is that you don't take the fanfic world or your place in it too seriously, and I think that's healthy.

And yes, the fuss would be fun to watch. ;)

Rudyard Kipling

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 1:23 pm 
Quote:
5. Your reading the Torah/Bible, and suddenly the charachter of "Ruth" has a whole new meaning.

:lol where though lodgest I will lodge ;)

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Childie -"Not all girls are raving bloody lesbians, you know!"

George - "That's a misfortune of which I am perfectly well aware."

The Killing of Sister George

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 1:40 pm 
Hey, I like a good "lodge" now and then. ;)

How about...

You watch the real show and it pales into comparison.

Oh...waitaminute...heh heh... ;)

----------
"The only thing going for me -
were those moments - just
moments - when Tara would look at
me and I was wonderful."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 1:57 pm 
How about

'You seem to never ever get out of the showers again'?

Thats a good one I think...

:peace -Viv-

--------------------------
Don't dream it, be it

Rocky Horror Picture Show

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 2:42 pm 
I totally agree with the bleeding together thing. I often have to go back and reread the last chapter to remind myself which story I'm reading. And what's wrong with checking for updates every 15 mins? Nothing I say.

A couple more:

- You find yourself quoting dialogue from your favorite fic (which is quite embarrasing if it happens to be NC-17).

- You feel the need to 'test' each chapter of Final Exam. You ring your gf to say "Honey, we need to meet at the library. Now".

------------------------------

Buffy: I'd like to find Willow and Xander
Joyce: Will you be slaying?
Buffy: Only if they give me lip

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 2:46 pm 
Oh, come on, that doesn't mean anything... Does it?

What's really bad though is when you start forgetting whether it was a fanfiction, or an actual episode. Not that that has ever happened to me. Nope. No Siree. Gotta go! I think I hear my mom ringing.

"Pronouns make it hard to keep our sexual orientation a secret when our co-workers ask us about our weekend. 'I had a great time with...THEM.' Great! Now they don't think you're queer, just a big slut!"-Judy Carter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 2:49 pm 
One more for the pot.

- Despite repeated viewing you are not sure whether things happened in Canon or in your favourite missing scene fic.

As for the bleeding together item, well I had this weird mix of Camp Flutie and Lesbian Fairytale going round in my head a few months back when I was away from the board for a while.

Now that was strange.

Paul

----------------

I am you know, yours.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 3:12 pm 
That's a great list! I also have to go sometimes and re-read at least part of the previous chapter before I start reading a new one. Too many good stories going on around here... :)

To add a few more:

- You start suggesting to your friends fanfic stories instead of books.

- You leave "specific" printed pages of Final Exam and a few other smut fics on your gf's desk.

- You get your gf hooked on fanfic also, so she won't show up at the computer room's door with *that* look, asking when you're going to log off. With the very nice bonus that you both can discuss the stories you're reading. Personal experience: it makes your relationship healthier. ;)

Sheila

“Come and put the ‘hot’ in my tub.” Tara winked as she whispered. ("Bookmarks & Broomsticks" by The Rainbow Writers)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:32 am 
Well it makes the relationship healthier and also provides ideas for dates.

"Hey, there's this boiler room I've been meaning to look at..." ;)

Alas yes, I am shameful. But there you go. :)

----------
me and I was wonderful."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 1:28 pm 
You know you're reading Way to much when you spend a couple grand to see Amber Benson in San Diego and the rest of the time you camp out in your hotel room reading fan fic.

Urn

_______________**

WILLOW: That's a work ethic! Buffy, you're developing a work ethic.

BUFFY: Oh, no. Do they make an ointment for that

"you can not have more fan fic, you have a fan fic problem"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 1:32 pm 
Quote:

Where ever thou hoest, I shall ho?

Hee.

"It's not real. I mean, there are no vampires, there are no witches. Well, there are Wiccans, but they're not making out with Alyson, so..." -Amber Benson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 1:35 pm 
Cracking up at that last post.

But Urn of Osiris, I...um, I mean a friend who shall remain nameless...know what you mean.

I think my... friend knew she was reading too much fanfic when she had to leave her own civil union honeymoon twice to drive an hour to a 24 hour Kinko's to get a fix.

Edited by: Tulipp at: 9/3/02 12:37:36 pm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 1:46 pm 
Wait it's actually possible to read too much fanfic? Since when :grin

I have to write down the titles of all the stories I am following so that I don't miss updates, apart from the one off stories that would make 34 that I am reading at the moment. The only problem I have sometimes is separating fiction from the show...not always a bad thing anyway.

-----------------------
You know, it's a real deal relationship and that's why people can relate to it
Amber Benson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 1:49 pm 
Or when you get so obsessive compulsive that you try to work all favorite fics into one cohessive story arc!

"Now lets see, how can Tara be back from the dead as a part-quasi-demon when she didn't die, only went to Hell to trick the Trickster? And how did Willow ever get to Warren to kill him; I mean their had to be Daughters of the Flame willing to give their right eye at the chance of torturing the one that killed Lady Tara. And when did get cured of being a vampire??? And how can she be a Watcher now???"

Damn... I am going to need Paxil really bad.

Warlock

-----

Web Warlock

The Other Side, home of Liber Mysterium: The Netbook of Witches and Warlocks

"That's right you asked for it, there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over!"- Frank Zappa, "You Are What You Is"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 1:54 pm 
Warlock,

LMAO!! :rollin

Jen

- - - - -

"Dude... I have an action figure?" Amber Benson
|My Fan Fiction and More|"Nobody messes with my girl." Tara

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 2:24 pm 
Quote:
Where ever thou hoest, I shall ho?
oh .... my ..... god ...... I am at work right now and am trying SO HARD to keep from laughing out loud ..... thank God I wasn't drinking when I read that or there would be root beer all over my keyboard.

that is freakin' CLASSIC. :lol

So who will be the first to put this in their sig?

~~~~~~~~

"We're just ... stupid." -- Buffy, on Season 6

Check out my Buffy videos at http://www.pipsqueaky.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 3:01 pm 
Oh...sigh...you know it'll probably be me.

Julia. You. In a prison way. ;)

----------
me and I was wonderful."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 3:20 pm 
Okay, but I get to be the bitch. :D

For once. Hee.

"It's not real. I mean, there are no vampires, there are no witches. Well, there are Wiccans, but they're not making out with Alyson, so..." -Amber Benson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 3:30 pm 
... when you're a Rainbow Writer

oh no wait that means you WRITE too much fan fic

:Lol

kath

"I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine."

To The Land of The RainbowWriters

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:32 pm 
Quote:
Well it makes the relationship healthier and also provides ideas for dates.

"Hey, there's this boiler room I've been meaning to look at..

You got it, Ruth. It also makes things much more practical. When you have a certain fic inspired fantasy, you just have to say something like "Final Exam. Library cage." It saves a lot of time, avoids misunderstandings, and brings pleasure to all participants. ;)

You could say that writing fanfic is community service. :D

Sheila

“Come and put the ‘hot’ in my tub.” Tara winked as she whispered. ("Bookmarks & Broomsticks" by The Rainbow Writers)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 3:35 pm 
Yeah. It's like, Willow and Tara inspired lesbian shorthand. :rolleyes

----------
me and I was wonderful."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 3:48 pm 
Yeah. It's like, Willow and Tara inspired lesbian shorthand

Would't you call that "Willowhand?"

Tara nodded in agreement "She has magic fingers." Then, as though the words had just echoed back to her and sounded not at all right, she perked up and glanced around at the others. "On the keyboard."

TheWisdom of War, Chris Golden

'My heart is cleverer then I and it knows what to do.'-MC Legends of the Kiss

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 10:17 pm 
Ok, howabout when your dreams come off some mixed up W/T fanfic mixtures?

Is that a sign?

Aim