The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Songfic: I Need You
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:55 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Title: I Need You
Author: Megan
Disclaimer: Don't own Willow and Tara, nor do I have any rights to the song I Need You by LeAnn Rimes.
Notes: This is way-way-post season six. Basically, the last five minutes of Seeing Red and everything after that happened differently.

I NEED YOU

Willow sighed nervously and ran one hand through her hair. She remembered when she’d first met Tara, her locks had been a bright, flame red. The shade was subdued now, lightly peppered with white strands. She supposed it was the stress of demon fighting for twenty eight years that was aging her a little prematurely, she was only forty four, after all. But at the same time, having Tara in her life seemed to be keeping her youthful. The only lines on her face were tiny crows’ feet at the corners of her eyes and mouth, because Tara always kept her smiling.

She cast a glance over at the clock on their bedside table. Tara was over at Buffy’s house, getting ready for their night out. It was their twenty fifth anniversary that night – they didn’t ever count it until night, because they celebrated the night they did their first spell together. She smiled, remembering the way Tara’s power had seemed to flood her, lifting her up and buoying her spirits in spite of her fear, tiredness, and the pain in her ankle. They were fine on their own, and they’d both learned that the hard way, but they were so much better together.

Impatient, Willow stood and began to pace. They were meeting at the Bronze – of all places, they hadn’t been there in years – at six. It was five now, and it only would take Willow ten minutes to get there. She planned to be early, but she figured that fifty minutes so would be pushing it. She stopped and looked in the mirror again.

The clothes she’d decided on for their night suited her well. She wore a dark blue, v-necked, bell-sleeved shirt that fell off her shoulders and bloused out, then came in belted just over her hips. The hem fell halfway down her thighs, over tight – but not too tight – black jeans. She smiled softly at her reflection. She’d chosen the shirt because it emphasized her waist, something Willow was proud of keeping in spite of age and bearing two children. Of course, she got a killer workout every few nights. The other reason she’d chosen the shirt was that it showed off her collarbones – including the mark that Tara had left on one of them last night. Lesbian bed death my ass.

Both of the kids were spending the night at Xander and Anya’s house, with their daughter. Willow was amazed that they’d only had one child, they way they went at it – even still. They’d had a rocky beginning, but it had all seemed to work out. She remembered the day Tara had asked her if she wanted to have a child, and the way she’d stuttered through the explanation that she couldn’t have children. Willow had worried, of course, but it had just been some sickness as a child that had affected her oddly.

She spun in a circle in front of the mirror and smiled as the hem flared out, almost parallel with the floor. Tara would love it, she was sure, and that was what really mattered to Willow. Tara. She’d come so close to losing her so many times. When the bullet shattered the glass of their window, it had been sheer reflex that had made her lunge forwards, knocking Tara to the ground. She still had the scar on her shoulder blade where the bullet had grazed her. They’d been attacked by vampires, faced no less than thirty two apocalypses… and still, they were together. They were happy.

Willow checked the clock. It was five forty. Time to go.

Tara shuffled from foot to foot nervously. Buffy reached out and grabbed her shoulders. “Hey, Tara. It’s going to be fine, okay?” The blond nodded., biting her lip. She cast another glance at the curtain hanging shut in front of her. “I’ve got to go out and meet Willow with the others, but you will be all right.”

Taking a deep breath, Tara stepped forwards as the slayer faded into the shadows in the back of the stage. She could hear the band up front playing their music. Three more songs to go. She looked down and ran her free hand – the other held a microphone – over her clothes. She’d worn a corset style shirt with angel sleeves and missing shoulders in a deep maroon colour and a long black skirt. She smiled, the corset was one Willow had picked out for her last year, and Tara had sworn she wouldn’t wear it in public. Willow was in for a surprise tonight.

The song wound down, and another began. Two left.

Willow stepped into the Bronze, looking around quickly. She wasn’t entirely comfortable here anymore; it was a place for young adults, not people approaching middle age. Approaching, she refused to believe she was there yet. Dawn waved from a table, almost exactly front and center to the stage. Willow frowned as she headed over. She didn’t really want to be the center of everyone’s attention.

As she approached, Dawn, Giles, Xander and Anya all grinned at her. “Hey, Will. Looking good.” Willow smiled and reached out to embrace her oldest friend.

They’d all changed over the years. Dawn was almost ridiculously tall, approaching six feet, which pissed Buffy right off. Giles was almost completely gray, and had mild arthritis in his hands. Xander’s hair was grizzled now, and, though Anya’s hair showed no signs of white, it also changed colour on a regular basis. Of course, it had always done that. Willow hugged each of the girls in turn. “Hey, Xander, Anya. It’s good to see you again, Giles. Dawnie, where’s Heather? Is she coming?”

Dawn smiled. “She wouldn’t miss it, she loves you guys. She’s just in the bathroom.” Heather was Dawn’s girlfriend of ten years, currently pregnant with their first child. Willow had figured out a way to manipulate the spell used to create Dawn from energy, and, after using it herself with Tara, had offered it to them for their fifth anniversary.

She smiled as Buffy and Faith approached. Everyone had been surprised when, five years ago, Faith had shown up on Buffy’s doorstep. Everyone, that was, except Buffy herself. Faith had been let out of prison on parole for good behavior. Three weeks ago she’d had her last meeting with the parole officer. Willow remembered the day Buffy and Faith had announced that they were in a relationship, and Xander’s comment about there being something in the water around Sunnydale. Neither Willow nor Tara had been surprised at that though, both being slayers, they shared a unique sort of understanding. On hindsight, Willow had been a little on the amazed side that it hadn’t happened when Faith had first shown up.

“Hey, Red. Congrats on this long-term thing.” Willow grinned at Faith, who now was standing with one arm resting on Buffy’s shoulder. Neither slayer looked a day over thirty; they had no fading colour in their hair, no lines in their faces. They were as spry and strong as ever.

“Faith. I hear you’re trying that yourself. How’s that working for you?”

Faith turned to face Buffy and grinned. “Pretty damn well, actually.”

“Where’s Tara?”

The music stopped abruptly and the singer of the band on stage cleared his throat. Everyone at the table – including Heather, who had just arrived back from the bathroom – turned to see what the commotion was about.

“Okay, we have a special presentation tonight. Willow and Tara Rosenberg-Maclay are sharing their twenty fifth anniversary.” A loud round of applause came from the crowd as Willow tried to sink into her chair. She didn’t succeed.

The singer stepped off the stage, carrying his mic with him, and the band struck up another song, immediately quieting the clappers. This one was slower than the music being played earlier.

Willow drew in a sharp breath when Tara stepped out on stage. She’s wearing it… I KNEW she’d look sexy in that! She saw her swallow, hard, and look around nervously, until her eye fell on Willow, staring at her in rapture. Tara smiled, and slowly began to sing.

I don’t need a lot of things
I can get by with nothing
Of all the blessings life can bring
I’ve always needed something
But I’ve got all I want
When it comes to loving you
You’re my only reason
You’re my only truth

She stepped forwards a few steps and belted out the chorus, filling the words with emotion. The group of friends around Willow beamed at both women, who’s eyes were fixed on each other.

I need you like water
Like breath, like rain
I need you like mercy
From heaven’s gate
There’s a freedom in your arms
That carries me through
I need you

Tara stepped sideways, refusing to turn and break her look with Willow. Everyone else seemed to fade away as she eased down the steps at the side of the stage and walked slowly over the floor towards Willow.

You’re the hope that moves me
To courage again
You’re the love that rescues me
When the cold winds rage
And it’s so amazing
’Cause that’s just how you are
And I can’t turn back now
’Cause you’ve brought me too far

The crowd parted as Tara passed, staring in awe at the obvious connection between them. Aside from the music, there was an utter silence in the expanse of the club as everyone listened, enraptured, to Tara’s voice. Some of them turned away, feeling like they were intruding on what should be a private moment for the two of them.

I need you like water
Like breath, like rain
I need you like mercy
From heaven’s gate
That carries me through
I need you
Oh yes I do

Tara approached the table and Willow slipped out of her seat. Half of her wanted to reach out and grab the woman in front of her, pull her close and kiss her crazy. The rest of her was aching to just close her eyes and let her love’s song wash over her. She smiled softly at Tara, waiting for her to finish her song.

I need you like water
Like breath, like rain
I need you like mercy
From heaven’s gate
That carries me through
I need you
Oh yes I do
I need you
I need you

As the music wound down, Tara dropped the hand with the mic in it. No longer was she self conscious in the least; there were people, let them stare. She’d wanted Willow to enjoy her performance, and it was clear that she had. Everyone else be damned. She returned the redhead’s smile, reaching out and taking one of her hands in her own.

“Twenty five years, sweetie. That long, and you still want me?” Though the words themselves carried a hint of insecurity, her voice was free of it, and had been for years. Still, it made Willow’s heart leap to hear her voice happy and comfortable in her love.

“Always, baby. Always.” She tugged lightly on Tara’s hand, pulling her as close as she dared in a public place. Tara brought herself half a step closer, reaching up to drape both arms around Willow’s neck, and brought her lips to her love’s in a chaste kiss.

Tara lay her head gently on Willow’s shoulder, and the entirety of the crowd in the Bronze broke out into applause and happy cheers as the group of friends, Dawn, Heather, Buffy, Faith, Xander, Anya and Giles, enveloped the two lovers in a tight embrace.

Post subject: Re: Songfic: I Need You
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:26 am 
2. Floating Rose

That was great, Nae!

You know, I was listening to "Que Sera Sera" by Pink Martini during the introductional portion of this tale, describing Willow, and it made it eerily spooky. Get yourself a copy and see what I mean. :P

The use of the song lyrics in their given connotations was quite delightful, and brought a grin to my face.

I guess I'll always be a fan of your writing, dear, for it touches my heart...

/cheese