The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Fic/AU Penny Arcade Chapter 4 02/19/12
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:15 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Topics: 2
Hey, Heather!

Wow, MAJOR case of real life - have driven about 700 miles in the last 5 days! So apologies for not getting in on this a LOT sooner!

Okay, I say it's Willow because of the chocolate AND the numerical calculations at the beginning regarding miles converted to kilometers. Don't believe that's Tara's style. Well, we'll find out . . . eventually!

REALLY liked Brenda as a character, she's 3D (large 3D actually! :grin ) and the flashback really makes her live. Also love Erik, you have a real gift for creating individual characters quickly! :bow

So lots of cryptic and not much detail, come on girl! Enough with the tease already, you're killin' me!

So give us poor fans a break, okay? :pray :pray :pray

Waiting for more!

Ariel
How I Met Your Mother

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:31 am 
8. Vixen

Topics: 3
Finey_McFine,

Congratulations on your dibs.

Muuuwwwahhh! I managed to keep you guessing, but no it's not Buffy. I'm glad you're enjoying my ever frustrating sneakiness.

Grimm,

Hmm, decisions, decisions... could be Tara, could be Willow...

My late stepfather was Jewish and he loved his bacon, but then again he wasn't strict - kinda like a C & E Christian (Christmas & Easter) he only really celebrated the major holidays. I don't remember it ever being said she was brought up strict. I know she had to sneak to Xander's to watch Snoopy at Christmas, but it was never said her parents were even really around for the holidays and the hanging of the crucifixes but even my Pentecostal grandmother would have had issue since that was more a Catholic thing and would have - anyway...- please correct me if I'm wrong, I really might have missed it.

Brenda... I can see that but she's actually based on a friend of mine that now that I think about Tammi I can kinda see it...

faolan228,

LOL, it never even occurred to me that I could be using Ms. Kitty's POV. Clever of you, but no, it's not Ms. Kitty.

I like keeping everyone guessing - can't you tell?

sarahncrys1017,

So glad I'm keeping you interested. It's easy to read a few chapters of a story and the "eh, not so much" and lose interest, so to be able to maintain it is always the goal.

LOL, I'm keeping you just enough on your toes that you keep going back and forth! Awesome!

love_2003,

Too bad there's not an emoticon that's someone casting a fishing line and reeling it in, lol.
Glad you like!

POST BELOW AND I FINALLY REVEAL WHO IS TELLING MY STORY...(overly dramatic organ music)

"Dry Heat – In Progress (still)" "Penny Arcade - Completed"
My Fic Challenge entries:
"Fireworks" "Promise" "I Did What Last Night?"

Last edited by vampyregurl73 on Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: New Fic/AU Penny Arcade Chapter 5 02/23/12
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:48 am 
8. Vixen

Chapter Five

Pairing: W/T – I’ll get us there eventually.

Rating: PG

Disclaimer: I in no way, shape or form own the characters from BtVS. I’m not making any kind of profit; this is simply for my own amusement – and hopefully the people reading it. This is completely AU, and there may be some dialogue stealing on my part here and there. There’s no hellmouth, no oogly-booglys, and the only magic is the magic of luuurve.

Email: riverwillows@me.com

Author’s Note: Ok, kittens here it is. Here's the final reveal of whose perspective I’ve been writing from. It only took five chapters and I have a few other twists up my sleeve so my advice is don’t assume anything. I do love all the guessing, so keep it up – it’s very encouraging. Thanks to everyone for reading.

Now I Know Why It’s called Grunt Work

I had been to the workspace at the gallery several times before, but strictly as a bystander just moving through, not staying for any real length of time. It was hot and noisy, and there was the distinct smell of gas blowtorches. It was early June and just starting to get warm, so the workspace was even warmer.

I wore the standard beige cargo pants with a “wife beater” tank top underneath a light button-up shirt; Brenda had warned me to dress for heat, and to bring ear plugs for my first day. She started me off light for the first few weeks. I had to wear goggles just in case; I cleaned, and moved thin sheets of lightweight metal. I pushed around hand trucks and pallet jacks with scrap on it. While I started to become familiar with the tools like, the gas and oxygen pipes used for the highly volatile oxyacetylene torches, igniters and flashback arrestors, metal nibblers and shears. All these neat things that made chemistry class look like, well child’s play.

As the summer wore on I soon became able to cut the sheets to the artist’s specs. Some artists were very exact, and told you exactly what they needed; others would just come to you with a concept or a drawing. Those were the hardest to deal with because you had to work with them to sometimes bring someone’s idea to life in metal. I learned to polish and treat the metals; I even became adept with the blowtorches – after more than a few nasty owies.

Some of it was light, and like cutting really thick cardboard, while others required a lot of effort. Never having been an overly muscular girl, I started to gain a certain amount of definition and muscle to my thin form. Sweat, heat and heavy lifting will do that for a girl.

During the summer heat at the end of my day, I started going to the Colorado Custard Company for frozen custard. I tried all the mixes and flavors, but my favorite treat after work became the “Single Track” – peanut butter, a brownie and hot fudge mixed into the custard.

Then I’d walk down to the penny arcade and people watch while I ate. Sometimes after I was done, I’d actually go in and play some of the old video games. Pinball, Galaga, PacMan, Ms. PacMan and Centipede were some of my favorites to play. I’d watch kids press pennies into whatever designs they chose from the coin press machines, play skeet ball, air hockey, or whack-a-mole. The sounds of their laughter carrying all through the shops, and out into the breezeway between the shops; somehow it lifted my spirits to hear it.

Then I’d make my way back to my truck to head home feeling a little lighter, a little happier, a little more… me.

Maybe surprising most of all, I began to enjoy the work. It was therapeutic to sweat and help create someone else’s visions. To do something where I didn’t have to think – I could shut my mind and emotions down – but my precision was absolutely essential. Some of the pieces I never quite got, but then again artistically inclined I am not. Others though, I found really beautiful, and in a way felt a little bit of pride at even somehow having been able to be a small part of this thing of beauty. I also slowly began to learn why Brenda loved doing it, and I was beginning to love it too.

Sometime in late August I began to notice this little boy; I figured he was about seven or eight year’s old coming into the arcade regularly. He kept beating my high score on Centipede. It became this strange obsessive competition; I would even come in on the weekends just to beat his high score. I’d stop in on Saturdays to beat the score of “CRM” and by Monday he had beaten mine. It was completely infuriating!

Now, I realize this was absolutely childish of me, but in a way it was kind of fun too. Knowing the arcade biggest clientele were children didn’t help, but I just couldn’t let myself be bested by some little kid – it was against all the rules – or at least all my rules. I didn’t care that it was just a silly video game, I didn’t care that my “opponent” was more than likely in elementary school. I am the best dammit! Video games are not exempt, end of story!

Then the inevitable happened.

We both showed up on a Saturday afternoon to outdo the latest high score. We each stood to one side of the machine like gunslingers. Our fingers twitched slightly, and we immediately knew who the other was. Our eyes narrowed slightly as we looked each other over carefully and then the little bastard smirked at me. I rolled my eyes, and knew it was on.

“Two players,” I challenged.

“Sure,” he smiled, with a merry little twinkle in his very blue eyes.

We loaded in our quarters, and then looked at each other. “Go ahead,” I told him, letting him go first.

I watched his eyes and hands dart smoothly over the controls, and couldn’t help but smile as he played with glee. He chewed on his lower lip, his brow crinkled in concentration, while his blonde bangs fell into his eyes. Honestly, he was just absolutely adorable. When his turn was up he looked to me with this cute, shy grin that showed he was missing both of his front teeth.

I’m not sure just how long we played that day, but I’ll guarantee you I must have spent a good twenty-five to thirty dollars playing Centipede with him after his quarters ran out. The only reason we finally quit, was when a short blonde woman that looked nothing like him showed up. He pointed to me excitedly, while he bounced up and down.

“Aunt Buffy, this is RED, she’s the one I’ve been playing against!” he said pointing to me excitedly.

She laughed at his enthusiasm. “Well, who knew RED was gonna be an adult, and a girl at that. Hi, I’m Buffy Summers, and this little rascal is Robby,” she said as she stuck out her hand.

I smiled and shook it. “Willow Rosenberg, nice to meet you, Buffy. So then what does CRM stand for?” I asked looking at Robby.

“Christopher Robin Maclay, that’s me, but everyone calls me Robby,” he said puffing out his chest a little. “My Tante really likes Winnie the Pooh, and she got to name me.”

I stuck my hand out to Robby too. “Well, it’s nice to finally meet the competition,” I said as we shook hands and I gave him a wink.

“Well, we should get going, Robby. We don’t want to be late, you know how your Tante gets when we’re late,” Buffy said.

“Can we play again, Willow?” Robby asked hopefully.

“Sure, I usually come in after work; I work up at the gallery. So any time we’re both here we can play,” I said with a smile. “I’ll see you later, Robby. Nice to meet you again, Buffy.” I said shaking her hand again.

Robby waved as he talked animatedly to Buffy’s, while they left the arcade. I turned heading the other way to get a “Single Track” custard before I left to head home. I smiled as I walked, pushing my hands into my pockets. What a funny Saturday afternoon it had turned out to be, and frozen custard was just the cherry on top of a highly enjoyable day.

TBC…

Last edited by vampyregurl73 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:49 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Dibs

Quote:
I (A?) standard beige cargo pants with a “wife beater” tank top underneath a light button-up shirt;

So it's Willow. I failed to take into account the workplace environment.

Love how Willow kept trying to beat an unknown kid. I could totally see me doing that if I was any good at hand-eye coordination.

Quote:
My Tante really likes Winnie the Pooh

First: Tante = Aunte Tara? Second, Love the name choice and reason. My sister was named from dad reading Clifford to my brother and me: Emily Elizabeth Robbins

Can't wait for Willow to meet Tara.

"Not everyone wants to graduate high school at age 16 and college at age 19 and have our first IPO by age 20. Some of us want to waste precious minutes, hours, days, and weeks rotting in front of the TV." - Survivor Ash Island By JustSkipIt

Buffy: Hi. Willow right?
Willow: Why? I mean hi. Did you want me to move?
First sign of adorable Willow "Welcome to the Hellmouth"

Post subject: Re: New Fic/AU Penny Arcade Chapter 5 02/23/12
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:32 am 
5. Willowhand

CUUUUUUUTE!!!! I really like this update. Kind of made me go... awe.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:05 pm 
9. Gay Now

Topics: 15
Nice!

Can't wait to see the family dynamic!

Interesting to see Buffy with Tara (probably) rather than Willow.

I wonder how Buffy and co fit in to this story?

do we get a Xander/Giles/Faith/Anya too?

Time will tell!

I look forward to more.

R

My Story: Coming Home

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:32 pm 
8. Vixen

Azirahael,

You know, it's funny that you mention that Richard. I did initially consider having Tara sort fill Willow's shoes in Buffy's life, but I kinda think that is what would be expected. I don't want to do that.

That's also the joy of AU stories - I can try to do things people wouldn't expect to make those connections. I have lots of things that I plan to do though that I think will be fun and hopefully not what everyone expects. :grin

As for the rest of the Scoobies, I'm still on the fence about them, so you'll just have to wait and see if they show up. :hmm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:35 pm 
3. Flaming O

WOOH and HOO!!! :banana
Guess I should stick with my intuition.

Awesome job, Heather! :bow :clap

The interaction between Willow and Robbie was hilarious! :laugh

I can't wait for more.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:47 pm 
8. Vixen

Ariel,

I am so sorry, I completely missed your fb!

Ooo, that's a lot of mileage, gf. Why the trip? Was it at least for fun?

Well, pat yourself on the back you were right, Willow it is. And hey, I only made you guys wait 5 chapters, I could have waited longer you know. ;)

Glad you're enjoying it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:07 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
Hey,
So I sort of started thinking this was Willow. So Tante... is that Tara? What's the relationship here between Buffy, the kid, and Tara? Also, this is a small town right? But still... they let this 7 or 8 year old hang out at a penny arcade all day without supervision? That seems a bit... careless? Maybe Buffy was nearby the entire time or maybe she owns/runs the arcade. Yeah... I think I choose to believe that.

More! More! More!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:05 pm 
2. Floating Rose

I am loving this story more and more. I can't wait to see where you go from here. More soon please

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:49 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Yes! Finally we have a main character. Woohoo! I had my sneaking suspicions it was Willow after the last post. It seems like you're kinda doing a scene by scene update thing. Which, is awesome because they are nice and short and I will always have time to read them, but you're also gonna kill me because this story is going to be like a gazillion chapters, lol. Just keep the updates comin'. :)

Looking forward to more and finding out how Tara fits into all this.

Remodeling: The Reconstruction of Tara Maclay / W/T Potpourri

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:22 pm 
8. Vixen

JustSkipIt,

How can I explain Manitou Springs... at the time I lived in Colorado Springs it didn't even have a stoplight - I don't think it even had a stop sign for that matter. You drove down the main drag, parked and then walked everywhere.I knew it to be more of a retirement community, the newer homes were expensive. It was also an artists community with a very large Native American population (I have a good friend that is a Mohawk Indian and took me too several Mohawk Indian Pow-Wows and they are some of the coolest and most beautiful things I've every been to).

It isn't far from Garden of The Gods National Park well know for the Kissing Camels rocks. A lot of rock climbers here obviously.

I don't ever remember seeing anyone homeless, everyone was always friendly, if you started showing up regularly, you learned who people were by name and vice versa, it was very idyllic in that way. Also when I lived there an older couple owned the Penny Arcade - they were always there. A lot of the games were old/antique (I think some were) - especially the pinball machines, so it wasn't some bored teenager that would rather be somewhere else.

Just for a point of reference, it was 1994-1999 that I lived there in Colorado Springs.

There where shops all along the breezeway so, it is possible that a local kid whose "aunt" works in one of the stores could come in and be safe for an hour or two a day. I attached an actual shot of the breezeway the Penny Arcade faces and Kissing Camels (just 'cause it's cool).

Maybe my memories are idealizing things but that was my experience with the folks that lived/worked there, and to be honest I hope it hasn't changed much since I've left.

I think Suzyque4215 lives in C.S. so if I'm romanticizing maybe she can set me straight, or not, this is a story so I can make Manitou Springs anyway I want it and she'll stay mum. :wink

So there is my commentary on the safety of allowing Robby to go play in the arcade. :) :wink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:49 pm 
20. Not one Much for the Timber

Topics: 15
I totally knew it was Willow, lol. Lovely chapter, I really like your Willow:) Now you have me wondering about the details of her break up and also how Tara ended up with her nephew. Looking forward to more!

"Transform your pain. Release your past. And ... uh ... get over it."
~Willow, Where The Wild Things Are

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:38 am 
5. Willowhand

Hey Heather. My apologies for the lack of feedback. I fell off the face of the earth but now that I'm back I just wanted to tell you how much I'm enjoying this. So Buffy and Tara are friends. Interesting twist but I like it. Definitely want to know more about what's driven Willow to this point. Looking forward to whatever you have in store.

An Everyday Life

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:21 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Topics: 2
Hey, Heather!

Just finished commenting on your fic challenge - you're definitely on a roll, girlfriend! :grin

I LOVE competitive Willow and Robby is incredibly cute. Once again you've pulled me in completely and I totally want more!

So I'll just leave with that thought: Please, Ma'am, my I have some more? :pray :pray :pray

Ariel
How I Met Your Mother

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:35 pm 
8. Vixen

OK, so now I'm only going to respond to those I haven't already made a response to.

BuffyFan4ever,

Congrats on your dibs, and thanks for the catch! I knew what I meant, lol. Now you do too!

I have younger brother's so anytime there's a game - video or otherwise - it's always a competition, lol.

I love your sister's name and how she got it! I actually wanted to name my son Christopher Robin, but the ex wouldn't have it, so we went round and round and finally compromised with Leif Tyler. I love Winnie the Pooh, but I think he has a great name anyway.

Yes, Tante (french for aunt) is Tara and that's all you're getting out of me for the moment. :wink They'll meet (obviously) just not quite yet, so I hope you can be patient with me.

fhiwda,

Lol, it was kinda supposed to make you go "awww", so good on me! I hope you got a laugh out of it too. Thanks for reading!

sarahncrys1017,

Intuition is always good in my book. :wink I'm glad you enjoyed it! I had a lot of fun with "the showdown" in the arcade.

You won't see a lot of Robby, but you'll hear about him, I promise.

Glad you enjoy it!

Suzyque4215,

I'm glad you love and enjoy reading, such a great compliment. :grin

Lexi,

I hope it's not a gazillion chapters, lol! I like them short too, I kind of look at it one of the little books that each page has an image and if you flip it fast enough there's a story - do you get what I mean? Although knowing me they won't stay short for long... :wink

Shelby,

I'm glad you like my Willow. With Dry Heat being more canon based (although I'm taking a LOT of liberties with it) she has to have more structure, but here in an AU environment she can be pretty much however I want her to be with in the guidelines of the board - so I have a lot room to play in which I am enjoying immensely. I don't have to follow and "Whedonian" (is that a word? If not I say make it so number one!) rules with her or any of the other characters I choose to use.

As I'm fond of saying, all will be revealed... in good time so be patient, please. :grin Glad you're reading!

Jess!

Glad to have you back with us! Well, I'm hoping both you and Shelby enjoy this chapter as I reveal a bit more of what happened and why Willow left Las Vegas.

I hope you guys will like my twist on things, because of course I'm trying to do something I haven't read before here so, let's see if I can pull it off. :wink

Julie,

Yes, dear you may have some more, no need to beg or turn the big pitiful eyes on me, lol.

LOL, when I wrote the arcade scene I could totally hear this when I had "the standoff" between Willow and Robby. I'm sure you'll recognize it from the old Clint Eastwood westerns, but it amused me to no end - what can I say? Of course you don't have to listen to the whole thing, I think if you're over about 30 or so you should know this...

Glad you enjoy it!

POST DIRECTLY BELOW:

Post subject: New Fic/AU Penny Arcade Chapter 6 03/02/12
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:51 pm 
8. Vixen

Chapter Six

Pairing: W/T – be patient.

Disclaimer: I in no way, shape or form own the characters from BtVS. I’m not making any kind of profit; this is simply for my own amusement – and hopefully the people reading it. This is completely AU, so something new for in that way, and there may be some dialogue stealing on my part here and there. There’s no hellmouth, no oogly-booglys, only a few of the Scoobies will appear – so don’t expect a family reunion – I hope you enjoy.

Author’s Note: I’m glad everyone enjoyed the final reveal of the POV I’m using. Now let’s see if I can keep you interested in the rest of the story! As usual, I’m flying without a net aka a beta so any boo-boo’s are mine – if they’re major point ‘em out and I’ll fix ‘em! Italics for emphasis.

TIME TO LEAVE THE NEST

August quickly rolled into September, and then into October. The trees had lost most of their leaves, and a chill was in the air all the time now. The days were shorter, and as I left work the smell of wood smoke was often in the air. I love the smell of wood smoke; somehow I find it soothing like the far off whistle of a train or wind chimes while it rains.

I only saw Robby a couple of times a month after school started, but whenever we did see each other we played. I discovered he was really a sweet, bright kid that lived with his aunt. I assumed he and his aunt were somehow related to Buffy, since she was the only other person I ever saw with him during those first few months. I also learned that she could be found in the little antique shop that was across the breezeway from the arcade and practically looked into it.

Buffy never struck me as a girl that would be interested in antiques, but as I got to know her I found that it was her and her mother Joyce, that ran the little shop. They didn’t just showcase antiques, but also handmade jewelry from some of the local Native American artists, which sold quite well among the tourists and the more well-to-do residents. Large, chunky pieces in silver, heavy with turquoise or amethyst; they were beautiful for sure, but not my thing.

Buffy and I got to know each other over the months, and would even meet for lunch a couple of times a week. When I told her what I did at the gallery she laughed until she cried. She said she would never have imagined that I was one of the metal cutters that worked with some of the artists. I told her to be honest, I never would have guessed it either, but there I was.

Halloween rolled by and before I knew it Thanksgiving was happening. It made me realize that I had been back for almost six months. It also really drove home for me that there was no going back; it was really over between Lacey and I. Seven years down the drain, and not even a friendship left. I wondered if there were others – if “he” was the first person she had cheated with. I knew I would never know for sure, but somehow I had a sinking feeling “he” wasn’t. Or maybe I just wanted to think the worst of her at the time.

I had managed to “catch” her with “him” in a very heavy petting session on our sofa. I was stunned to find my self-proclaimed "lesbian" girlfriend with some guy’s tongue down her throat for sure; but I guess isn’t the worst way I could have caught them together. However, I began to believe it was planned by Lacey to happen that way. She was not one to do things without forethought, it was one of the reasons we got along so well – we were both long term thinkers. This gave her any easy out though, an easy way to call it quits. In retrospect, I almost felt sorry for “him”. What did “he” really think was going to happen? If she honestly only wanted “him” to have a child and she would cheat after all the time we were together, what would stop her from doing it to “him”?

It left me with so many doubts about what I thought had been the “real” thing. “True Love” – did it really exist, the cynic in me asked? I thought I had found it, but apparently I was mistaken. Then I also realized I had never even heard her say “his” name; it made me wonder if she had she ever told “him” mine?

As I was watching Robby play, it hit me that I just didn’t really care anymore anyway. It was the past, she was my past, and that was that. I had stopped wondering what “I” could have done differently, the “if only’s” had stopped. I hadn’t cheated, I hadn’t misled her. I wasn’t perfect, but it was her actions and decisions that created the situation I then had to live with. And now I was starting to be okay with that.

I knew it would still be a sore spot for a while, but the scab was falling off. It would still be a tender, sore spot but that’s how those things go. The night I realized it, I called Erik and told him to meet me at a bar we went to not far from home. I had more than enough money and could have found a place long before then, but I needed him. The love and support that only a best friend can provide – unconditional, and sometimes fiercely protective affection that only comes from years of knowing someone, through thick and thin – bad relationships, bad decisions, and bad haircuts. But now it was time for the little bird that was me to leave Erik’s nest. I had to break it to him.

I was sitting at the bar and had just finished off my first drink when he came in. He plopped down on a stool next to me and I signaled to the bartender.

“Two more, Jameson, neat,” I said.

Erik looked at me and said, “Okay, so spill. You only drink Jameson when you’ve made a decision about something.”

I looked at him with a smile and shook my head. “What else do you see in your magic eight ball, o’ great one?”

He laughed as our drinks were set in front of us. He took a sip and just looked at me waiting calmly.

“Well, you’re right I have made a few decisions, but first I want to say thank you. Thank you for the roof over my head, thank for your love and support these last few months. I know I wasn’t always easy to be around. And just want to thank you for being you,” I said as I placed my hand on his. “The decision I’ve made is it’s time for me to move out. I make enough at the gallery to afford my own place, I have money saved anyway, and I realized today that I’m okay. I was in the arcade with Robby and we were playing Centipede when it hit me.”

Erik looked at me mischievously. “Okay, so you’re saying you came to this great epiphany while playing a video game, and by the way who is “Robbi” and why is this the first I’m hearing of her?”

I looked at him like he was the slow kid in calculus class before it hit me, and I started to giggle. “Robby’s eight, you goof.”

Erik’s eyes got big as saucers. “Will, that’s illegal – and when did you get into little kids – and not to mention way up there on the gross out factor, I mean…”

I held up my hand to cut him off. “Oh my god, you are so stupid! I can’t believe you even thought that! Eww! Okay, first I met him in the arcade trying to outdo my high score, and now we play video games together. His aunt works at the antique shop right across from it. And again I say eww!” I said slapping his arm.

He smiled knowingly, nodding his head. “Oh, his aunt… so tell me about this cute little aunt of his.”

I rolled my eyes. “You are such a man sometimes. Buffy’s not my type, trust me and we’re just sort of friends I guess now. I think she’s straight anyway,” I took a sip of the whiskey, and then looked into the glass.

“I just realized some things while we were playing. I’m really okay; things with Lacey are as they are, it all happened for a reason, you know?” I shrugged. “I’m ready to be on my own, have my own space. Maybe I’ll get a puppy or fish they’re lower maintenance.”

Erik put his arm around my shoulder. “If you’re ready, Will, then you’re ready, but you know you don’t have to rush, okay?”

I smiled and rested my head against his shoulder. “I know, and it’s not like I’m moving out tomorrow, but I feel like I’m ready to start looking – start moving forward again. I just wanted you to know. You’re my best friend, and well, things were rough for a while with me and you kinda dropped everything to be there for me. I’m really grateful for that, you know that, right?” I said as I looked up at him.

“Next round’s on me,” he said giving me a squeeze and kissing my temple affectionately.

I sat up and raised my glass smiling, “To moving on,” I said.

We clinked glasses together and shot back our drinks. The smooth, smoky, faintly sweet whiskey flowed easily down my throat, and started to warm my belly as it hit. I could feel my cheeks start to flush; the ever present knot that had taken up residency in my gut since I drove out of Las Vegas was finally gone. I started to really relax for the first time in months. I had things to look forward to now, not things to look back on in pain.

“So I guess I still can’t talk you into dinner with the folks for Thanksgiving?” He asked.

“Nope, it’s gonna be just me, the paper and a renter’s guide. I already bought a pumpkin pie and a t.v. dinner,” I smiled. “It’s living the bachelor life for me,” I winked at him, bumping my shoulder against his.

Here’s to moving on…

TBC…

Last edited by vampyregurl73 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:36 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: Re: New Fic/AU Penny Arcade Chapter 6 03/02/12
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:53 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Delurking to say dibs! Shall return...

ETA ok now that I'm on a real computer, I can leave proper feedback :) So I have been following both of your stories and seriously enjoying them, but have been a bad kitten and not left feedback until now. I love this new fic you started and really enjoyed this update. It's nice to get some background story and Willow getting back on her feet. I know how it feels to be left (and more than likely cheated on) for(with) a guy and it is no walk in the park. It's great to see Willow moving on now and preparing "to leave the nest."

Can't wait to see what you do next and very curious to see how Willow and Tara will end up meeting.

~Leo

P.S Do we get an update for Dry Heat soon?? Pretty please??? :pray

Last edited by leos_pride on Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:21 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Cool. So we are now getting the backstory. 5 1/2 years and then cheating -- with a guy. Wow! Totally wasn't expecting that. I love this interesting track your taking with Willow. I would be along with Buffy, holding my sides in laughter, if that little red-head told me she was a metal worker. I can just imagine her hanging on to thick links of chain, smudged with grease and oil and sweat as she worked with the heavy material. I'm glad she's at a point were she feels that she is ready to move on, take care of herself. Her friendship with Erik is great. Even when they are not living together I'm sure he will be a great support to her.

Now, based on the nuances of your Willow, I can't wait to see what you do with Tara. I'm wondering if her profession will be as unexpected as Willow's or it will be something that we can very easily picture her doing (social worker, nurse, teacher, etc.) And of course, I can't wait until they meet for the first time.

Looking forward to more!

Remodeling: The Reconstruction of Tara Maclay / W/T Potpourri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:40 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
Nice chapter. You manage the transition and progress of Willow very nicely. She seems to be moving on and in a very healthy place. I still love Erik for his love and support of Willow. And, no criticism intended, but I'm ready to meet Tara soon...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:29 pm 
3. Flaming O

Hi Heather.

As always, amazing job on the update. I can't wait for Willow and Tara to meet as well. It's all so very exciting.

Personally, I know how it feels to be cheated on and it's never easy, but now I have a wife I completely adore. We've been together for 5 years now and we're expecting a little girl in July. :fallen

Anyway, hope to see an update soon, Heather, you're amazing! :bow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:40 pm 
5. Willowhand

Hey Heather!

Great update. I was so excited to learn more about what had driven Willow away, both literally and figuratively. And it's understandable. When someone breaks your heart after five years, it's like the world just ends or a while. And now, she's had some time to get her life back on track and move forward and I think your pacing and portrayal of Willows behavior is awesome. It's written very natural and you've done a great job to make it believable.

I like that Willow's also becoming more acquainted with Buffy and of course that Joyce is still alive. I'm right with the rest of the board though in the fact that I can't wait for Tara to make her grand entrance. But I will be patient.

Again, great update!

An Everyday Life

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:35 pm 
2. Floating Rose

This fic is rockin'. I Can't wait for another update! :dance

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:28 am 
8. Vixen

leos_pride,

Congrats on your dibs & de-lurking - hello my little lurker! :wink :bigwave

I always enjoy it when a lurker comes out... lol.

Aww, I'm glad you're enjoying both of my stories. As for Dry Heat... yes, I guess I should get back to it too, now, huh?

Glad you're reading!

True_Love,

I thought I would do something with different with Willow than what would be expected. Yes, I plan to have some of the traditional Willow traits - I mean hey, she just wouldn't be Willow without some of them, right? As for Tara - not tellin'... :grin

JustSkipIt,

Aww, c'mon... you mean I can't take another five chapters before I introduce Tara? LOL don't worry, I wouldn't do that to you. Glad you're enjoying it!

sarahncrys1017,

I'm glad you find it all so exciting, then I'm happy!

I think at one point we all run into a "cheat" situation (maybe I'm cynical), where either we are cheated on or do the cheating (or have the opportunity to - it is a choice). The situation is never a pretty one.

Congratulations on the baby!

beautiful_love,

I'm glad you're enjoying the pacing and finding it believable - let's me know I'm going in the right direction. Yeah, no one ever likes to feel like they've been play or made a fool of, and to have been cheated on shakes a person to the core IMHO.

I always liked Joyce myself, so I get to play with having her around. :grin

Thanks for the feedback!

wiccanvixen,

Rockin'? Awesome - I'm glad you're enjoying it!

NEW CHAPTER POSTED DIRECTLY.

Post subject: New Fic/AU Penny Arcade Chapter 7 03/16/12
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 am 
8. Vixen

Chapter Seven

Pairing: W/T – be patient.

Disclaimer: I in no way, shape or form own the characters from BtVS. I’m not making any kind of profit; this is simply for my own amusement – and hopefully the people reading it. This is completely AU, so something new for in that way, and there may be some dialogue stealing on my part here and there. There’s no hellmouth, no oogly-booglys, only a few of the Scoobies will appear – so don’t expect a family reunion – I hope you enjoy.

Author’s Note: After realizing there was absolutely no way possible that I could drag things out for five more chapters before I introduced Tara, and since things just kinda worked out this way anyhow, I hope everyone enjoys.

'Tis the Season...

Over the next three weeks I scanned the papers and renter’s guides and couldn’t find anything that screamed out “home”. On the weekends and in the evenings I must have dragged Erik all over the city looking at almost everything that must have been up for rent at the time. Duplexes, triplexes, fourplexes, townhouses, condos, sublets, guest houses, apartments; then I began to look to buy hoping to have better luck – less than a week before Christmas I still hadn’t found anything and I just wanted to scream!

Patience is not my strong suit.

Buffy and I were at lunch two days before Christmas. We were sitting inside The Keg Bar and Grille. I had just polished off a huge buffalo burger, and was contemplating dessert while looking at my watch to see how much time I had before I had to be back at the gallery.

“So are you ready for Christmas?” Buffy asked. “Do you even celebrate, Will?”

I looked up at her from the menu. “This time of year is always a bit of a funny time for me. I don’t really celebrate Christmas, or Hanukkah anymore either for that matter – not in the traditional senses anyway. My parents just send money, and the only people I really exchange gifts with are my close friends, so…” I shrugged.

“Erik will be going to Denver to be with his folks, so we were going to exchange gifts before he leaves. Brenda’s holding an “every religion under the sun” type holiday party on Christmas Eve, but I thought I’d sit home and watch Charlie Brown in peace. What about you? Robby must be a handful to have under foot all the time right now, huh?” I asked as I ate the last of my fries.

“I think that child is part bloodhound! We have to hide his presents at the shop in the storage room every year or he finds them!” Buffy laughed. “Mom says I was just as bad as a kid, though. Tara and I don’t even bother to bring them home any more – all gifts go right to the shop so we can hide them away. Robby will be in later this afternoon to play in the arcade if your free, by the way.”

I smiled. “Sure, I’ll stop by after work. It’s slow right now, so I may even be able to cut out early. With only a few days left before the holidays no one is really working on anything much.”

“If you stay long enough, you might even get to finally meet Tara too, she’s going to pick us up,” Buffy said.

“Ahh yes, the wonderful and fabulous “Tante Tara”; how can such a bastion of wonderfulness ever live up to the tales?” I asked jokingly. “Robby adores you both, so I hear stories all the time. Sure, I can hang around; I don’t have any plans tonight.”

“Have you found a place yet?” Buffy asked with a smile, as she finished her soup.

I rolled my eyes, sighing heavily and began to whine about the lack of anything decent to rent or buy at that time of year fit for a rat to live in.

“I think I have the perfect solution for you, but let me make a phone call, okay? It’s not a place, but I think I know someone that can help,” Buffy said.

“Help? Like a roommate? Aww, thanks Buffy, but I really want a space of my own…” I tried to politely turn down the offer of help.

Buffy held up her hand, shaking her head. “No, no, not a roommate, look, come over for dinner tonight and I’ll take care of the rest. This will be perfect!” Her eyes twinkled merrily.

I looked at her a little surprised and unsure. “Uh, sure, okay.”

“Great! Robby will be so excited when I tell him you’re coming over,” Buffy said with a wide grin and signaled for the check.

I walked into the shop a little after 3:30pm that afternoon, and a bell over the door rung out cheerily. Buffy came from behind a door that said “Employees Only” smiling brightly. When she saw it was me, she looked at her watch in surprise.

“You’re here early,” she said.

I shrugged. “Not a lot to do, so Brenda sent everyone home early. We had only two people come in today, and they didn’t even make a mess.”

“Well, you’re timing is perfect Robby should be here any minute,” she said. “You can come back here with me; I was just going over some of the shipping orders. You know the fun stuff.” Buffy rolled her eyes. I followed her through the door into an office that had two desks in it; Buffy’s desk was covered in little piles of what looked like packing slips, and the other desk had several unopened boxes on it.

We chatted while she separated the sheets out into piles before her, and before long the bell clanged again. Before we could leave the office, Robby came bursting in chattering away to someone behind him which happened to be Joyce.

“Well, hello, Willow. It’s nice to see you again,” Joyce greeted me with a smile.

“Will is gonna come over for dinner tonight. She’s still looking for a place and I have an idea of someone that might help, okay?” Buffy said as looked up from the sheets she was sorting through.

“Sure, one more won’t hurt,” Joyce said.

“Yay!” Robby shouted as he dropped a backpack, then a hat and mittens around the office, which was quickly getting crowded.

So I stood and held out my hand. “You, little man, are coming with me. We have a date with a “Centipede” machine!”

Robby started to pull me towards the door giggling. “How long do I have Aunt Buffy?” He asked as we went.

“Tara will be here at 5:30pm, so you have to be back by then,” Buffy looked up and smiled at us.

Robby’s eyes got big. “C’mon, Willow, we have to hurry,” he said.

I laughed and waved goodbye as we rushed out and over to the arcade. Robby went over to the machine while I got some quarters, and when I came back he was steadily loading quarters into the machine.

“Whoa, little man!” I said. “How much have you already put in?”

He thought for a few minutes before answering. “I brought a roll of quarters from home… so a lot.” He said with a smile as he held up an almost empty clear plastic sleeve.

I laughed, shaking my head. “Okay, let’s start with that and see how far we get. You wanna go first?”

“Nah, I went first last time, you go first this time,” he said. “I can’t believe you’re coming over for dinner, we’ll have so much fun. I have a PlayStation and we can play more games when we get home, if you want.”

“Sure, what games have you got?” I asked.

Robby continued to talk while I played, telling me all about his games. Back and forth we played, the time passing quickly. The alarm on my watched chirped at five minutes before Tara was due to arrive.

“We have five minutes left, buddy,” I said as Robby played.

“Okay,” Robby replied, his tongue sticking through the gap where his two front teeth were starting to come in at, and I smiled down at him. “Yes!” he said but it came out sounding more like “yeth” as he lisped around his missing teeth, “I beat you, Willow!” He smiled triumphantly.

“This time, little man, this time,” I said grinning back at him and tousled his hair. “Let’s go, your Tante should be here soon to pick you up, if she isn’t here already.”

His little hand slipped into to mine as we walked through the arcade and out into the breezeway. It was dark already, and the cold was setting in. Snow was wrapped around some of the pillars and patches of ice were easy to see on the cement.

We walked into the shop, the bell jingling once again. Buffy was leaning over one of the counters talking to a woman a little shorter than me, with honey blonde hair a shade or two darker than Robby’s. They both turned to look at us as we came in.

“Tante!” Robby exclaimed letting go of my hand and charging the young woman.

I noticed her eyes were the same striking blue as Robby’s as she swept him in for a hug. When she looked back to me and smiled, I saw Robby’s shy crooked smile too. She was absolutely lovely. She was standing with her hands in the pockets of a three quarter length dark dress winter coat that was over a cobalt blue sweater that brought out her eyes, making them dance and heather grey wool slacks. I couldn’t seem to stop staring at her, and clasped my hands nervously in front of me.

Robby turned, taking my hand and pulled me over. “Tante, this is RED, well, Willow, ‘member I told you all about the “Centipede” game? We play in the arcade together now,” he said smiling.

“Yes, I do remember,” Tara corrected gently as she stroked his hair. “I’ve heard all about your video game prowess for months now.” She teased me smiling.

I smiled and stuck my hand out. “Hi, I’m Willow, nice to meet you.”

“Hi, Willow, I’m Tara,” Tara said as she took my hand.

It started out as a simple handshake, but soon we stood holding hands, just staring into each other’s eyes. We weren’t really shaking hands anymore, just gazing at one another. It was the oddest thing, her hand was warm and soft, and fit mine so well, but her eyes just had me mesmerized. Deep pools of gorgeous blue and I wanted to dive right in.

“Tante, Willow’s coming over for dinner, Aunt Buffy said so, right Aunt Buffy?” Robby said watching us.

“Sure did,” Buffy replied as she watched us stare.

“Really?” Tara asked absently as we still held hands, her thumb had started to stroke the back of my hand.

“Yeah, so you guys can hold hands there too,” he said giggling mischievously.

“What?” I said coming back to myself, and dropped her hand but I couldn’t drop her gaze, even as I started to blush. “Oh, yeah, dinner, coming, me. Yes! Buffy asked. I answered. You and I’ll be coming. I mean I’m coming, coming over for dinner, nothing else, just a friendly meal among friends… and I’ll shut up now,” I babbled while my blush deepened.

Tara cocked her head to one side as she listened to me babble while smiling at me as we continued to watch one another. “Great,” she said, her eyes sparkle.

Buffy smirked, as she watched us. “Why don’t you ride with Willow, Tara? I’ll take your car and Robby can go with me. That way she won’t get lost.” She began pushing Tara and I to the door, and Robby had already disappeared giggling. “Don’t worry; I have my keys, you two run along, we’ll be right behind you, promise.”

I looked at Buffy like a dear in headlights. I had not planned for this. Tara certainly was… something, that was for sure, and oh, boy was I in trouble. Then there we stood outside the shop with the door being locked on us by a smiling Buffy.

“Real subtle, Buff,” I muttered. I turned to Tara and said nervously, “I ah, I work at the gallery, so I’m parked a few blocks away, do you mind walking? Or I could hurry and meet you on the street.”

“Not at all, lead the way,” Tara said. “And yeah, Buffy is a subtle as a brick to the head.”

We were walking quickly up the block to the gallery, and I watched as Tara’s cheeks became rosy from the cold. I pointed to the stair that led up to a parking lot to our right. I noticed during our walk she was in heels, so I let her go ahead of me up the stairs in case she slipped… and I also got to view her from behind… watch her hips sway beneath her coat…

There are some perks to being chivalrous.

Mine was the only vehicle left in the lot. I led her over, and opened the door for her and making sure she was situated safely before I ran around to my side of the truck. I jumped in and started it up. We kind of leaned into one another in the cold cab of my truck, waiting while it warmed up. Our breath fogged up the windows as we sat and shivered against the chill.

“Ready?” I asked with my hand on the heat controls, knowing there would be a rush of icy air first Tara nodded. “Don’t worry, she warms up fast,” I said as we were blasted with cold air for a few minutes.

I pulled out to the lots entrance and looked at Tara, waiting for direction. My breath caught and I couldn’t seem to stop staring. Tara’s eyes twinkled in half light, and her skin was luminous, with the flush from the cold still visible. Images of different types of blushes on Tara’s skin started to dance in my mind’s eye in naughty, naughty ways. I had to shake my head and swallow hard to get myself under control, what was my problem? It’s not like I had never been in the company of a pretty woman before.

“Uh, Tara?” I asked softly, just becoming aware that she was staring also.

“Yes, Willow?”

“Which way do I go?”

“What?” Tara asked.

I cleared my throat. “Which way, to your house? Which way do I go?”

“Oh!” Tara laughed then looked around to see where we were. Giving me directions, we set off into the cold night, and I was so thankful to have to focus on something other than Tara.

“So you work in the gallery?” Tara asked.

“Mmmhmm,” I murmured as looked over at her briefly.

“Are you an artist? What do you do?” She asked.

I smiled. “You’re going to laugh when I tell you.”

“Why?”

“Because I’m a metal cutter for some of the artists,” I said. “I do some welding too.”

“Why is that funny?” Tara asked.

I looked over at her again. “Buffy laughed herself almost sick when I told her. I guess I don’t seem butch enough or something, I dunno.”

“Ahh. Do you like it?” she asked seriously.

“Yes, yes I do actually,” I said.

“Tell me more about you,” Tara asked softly. I looked at her again quickly as I drove. Her soft smile and those eyes…

My immediate response was to shut down. My jaw clenched; I could feel the muscle jump as I grit my teeth. “What would you like to know, Tara?” I asked staring at the road as I pulled up to a stoplight. Gripping the steering wheel tightly with one hand, the other curled into a fist resting against my thigh.

Then I felt her warm hand on mine again, she squeezed my hand to catch my eye. “We can just sit if you’d rather, we don’t have to talk.”

“No, really you can ask, besides we’ll be in The Springs soon, so you’ll have to tell me where to go again,” I said as the light changed color.

“Okay,” Tara said and continued to hold my hand. Other than directions she never asked anything during our ride, but she never let go of my hand either.

TBC…

Last edited by vampyregurl73 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: New Fic/AU Penny Arcade Chapter 7 03/16/12
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:47 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Dibs! :whip

Yay! I'm so glad you decided to not make us wait 5 more chapters to see Tara. I love Buffy as the oh-so-not-subtle match maker. And it was great that even though both girls knew what she was up to they played along because they already felt that special connection. I have to admit though, Tara holding Willow's hand was a little surprising to see. I mean, they literally just met minutes before. It's was an interesting juxtaposition from their conversation where Tara backed off quickly after seeing Willow start to stress. I hope this is not of an indication of things to come, physcial closeness before emotional closeness.

I am really curious about this whole assistance with finding a place thing going on. I'm with Wills, is Tara a realtor or something?

Looking forward to more. There are so many places you can go with this story, can't wait to see where you take it!

Last edited by True_Love on Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:01 am 
3. Flaming O

Yay! It's Tara!!! Who wouldn't be mesmerized by the blonde haired, blue eyed enchantress? :kiss

Ah, the first meeting. Great interaction!

I've been impatient for an update, so I started at the beginning again and read it to my wife this time. Lol. She likes it too. :clap

Can't wait for more. :kgeek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:53 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Finally!!...Thank you for putting me out of my misery. Great first meeting. I loved the instant connection between our girls and was very happy to see that Tara did'nt push Willow and backed off with the questioning.

More, more, more, Please!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:30 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Yay, finally the scene Willow once is going to tell their kids about with the introduction "how I met your mother". And as to be expected with our favorite couple, there is major sparkage right from the start. I was suprised to see Willow describing Tara being "a little shorter than me", was this a mistake or do I just have to try to imagine Tara being shorter than on the show (or Willow taller, LOL)?

I'm glad that Tara has enough empathy here to react to Willow's emotional change properly, not interrogating her but giving her some physical comfort. I'm curious what Buffy has planned concerning Will's finding-a-home-problem, is Tara an estate agent or something?

Keep up the brilliant work, I'm really looking forward to the next update!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next