The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: So You Wanna Be A Beta
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:45 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Being a beta isn’t a rah-rah kind of job. It’s about being critical in a highly constructive manner. It’s about encouraging your writer to bring more out of themselves and put their very best down on paper. Being a beta can go way beyond critique of grammar and spelling to consideration of things like emotion, characterization, plot etc. Are you helping your writer create a compelling story? We’ll discuss how you can work with your writer here.

Post subject: Re: So You Wanna Be A Beta
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 1:58 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

What I fear from a new writer that has approached me to beta is that they're looking for the gooey feel-good feedback that you can get on DCP. I try to talk to a new writer (ESPECIALLY if they're writing for the first time or working with a beta for the first time) about exactly what they want from me and what kind of feedback they can expect. I've found that if I can build up some sort of understanding with them, they're much less likely to be shocked when real honest-to-goodness critical feedback comes to back to them.

My question for everyone now is, how do you tell someone you.... I dunno.... don't like their story? That maybe it's cliched or dull? I feel I owe it to a writer that wants to put their work out there to be honest with them, but I'm not out to batter someone. I've been there and have has my hard work trashed by others. Your writer is willing to put themselves out there and have their ideas and skills come under public review. How do you break it to them gently?

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:14 pm 
3. Flaming O

I've never beta'ed any fics, but I have given plenty of constructive criticism on music to composers in my time, so I guess I have some sort of experience.

I think the key to not offending anyone is to break it to them in suggestions. Like instead of saying "this story is cliched", say "if you did X to it, it would sound a little less cliched". Usually they'll agree (well, certainly musicians do, dunno about fic writers ;) ). Hence why it's called _constructive_ criticism. Give them some inspiration to go on. Obviously, there is a limit - you can't tell them to rewrite the whole story - it IS theirs after all!

I dunno. Just my ten cents.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:06 pm 
3. Flaming O

Ok well I come at this subject from an odd angle. Both the people I beta for on a regular basis I met because I contacted them regarding an issue I had with their fic, either a spelling, quote or characterisation faux par and as a result we started talking and became good friends.

Generally, I tell it as I see it. If a fic is slow or cliched then I'll say so, politely and with options and ideas for jazzing it up but I like to call a spade a spade. At no point did I want to be a beta but I seem to work well with the authors I do.

I think the best way to beta is to tell someone the honest truth but also to offer them alternative options and scenarios and help them develop ideas.
None of that can be done as successfully if you're not on the same wavelength as the author, a friendship needs to be found so that everyone is on the same page and able to be totally honest. I mean, if you cant say what you really think then the fic will suffer if you spend all your time pussyfooting around a subject rather than saying what you really think. At the end of the day as long as you're honest and upfront but not rude and offer something constructive, then you get the best out of a person.

But hey, thats just my thinking, others may andprobably will disagree!

Every time a fanfic earns a comment, a Beta gets her wings!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:17 pm 
28. Com...plete

when in doubt be obtuse...they will get confused with your feedback and have to look at their story from another angle to figure out what the hell you were talking about or at least figure something isn't quite right with it

I don't know if this is the place but...I keep reading "never used a beta, well you should"...I have personally never used a beta...I figure I am so anal retentive about my writing that I don't need to...so be honest with me...I know it has been a long time since I actually wrote anything, but dig back into your memory banks...honestly, do I need a beta? I am hypercritical of myself so not sure I am a good judge

Sandi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:05 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
[quote=My question for everyone now is, how do you tell someone you.... I dunno.... don't like their story? That maybe it's cliched or dull? [/quote]

I've not had a lot of experience with betas. Probably 30% of my writing is betaed and I've betaed some stories. But here's what I think as a gut reaction to your question. For me, I would feel best about any criticism that is very detailed. So if you just said, "I don't like your story..." then I'd be hurt or discard it. But if you were able to really break it down: "I like the idea that you're trying to portray that Tara has trouble trusting because she's been hurt before but I don't think she would use the type of language you suggest." If you can rewrite a spot of dialog that you don't like in such a way that you make your point, then I would have more respect for your comments.

I would also hope that I've chosen a beta who is compatible with both me and my story. I would not pick a beta who was morally opposed to BDSM if that's what my story was or who didn't believe in addiction philosophy if I were doing a S6 type thing.

So for me, I would hope for 1. compatibility and respect for my beta/writer and 2. detailed suggestions.