The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1085 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda - CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX - 11/21/12
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:31 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 1
Don't really hear the Willow-Lily resemblance myself but, hey, whatever you're doing it's working.. (I had to bend you rules a bit and printout hard copy of that last chapter, though.) On the whole, like where this ALternatte S-4 is going.

Sue: We don't talk about things like that right after, you know that, no saying those things in The Moment.
Kim: (moves the hand aside) Screw The Moment. I *love* you.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:39 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Aww, these two are just so cute together! Willow really is a breast girl right from the start, huh? Day-um - adorable! Tara really deserves the attention and beeing called beautiful as often as possible!
As to chapter 25 - Annie really is a very good friend, reminds me a bit of Becca in Laragh's "College Confidential".
Anya being suspicious that Giles could be lusting for Xander was hilarious! I really love Anya as the constant comic relief!

Have I told you how much I ADORE this story? More, more, more!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:58 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
I'm really enjoying this. I particularly enjoy Willow's excitement about Tara/women. On the show I always worried that she was a bit reticent. Here she seems very eyes wide and excitedly open. It's very fun to read.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:47 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Hmmmmmm, Tara in a sexxy dress is more mouth-watering than all the turkey and ham that I forced down my throat over the last few days.

It's wonderful how Willow is constantly complimenting Tara, even if her eyes tend to wander ocassionally.
The first date was absolutely perfect. No complaints.

Again, I am enjoying the slow burn. We already know how this journey ends... naked, cold and jiggling in the woods in front of a fire. So, there is no hurry to get to the naked yummies. I'm cool to sit back and just enjoy the ride.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:34 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Topics: 5
Hi all. Every time I try to log on to reply and post I've had connection problems for the last few days. Got to head out now but so long as I can connect when I get back in a couple of hours then I will reply to your feedback and post the next part.

Any one else having problems getting to the board? Seems to be for a couple of hours a day, right about the time I usuall post!

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*
-------------------------

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:26 pm 
5. Willowhand

I know I have trouble. Which is annoying because I'm finally reading Sidestep. Bloody Fanstastic btw.

"The Hammer is my Penis," Captain Hammer, 'Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog.'

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:28 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Replies first...

Daddycatalso - I think I am probably just sensitive to the Lily thing because she's the only Aly I have watched in the last 10 years (I'm a purist!) I know I definitely started to rely on more 'modern' shows for some of the language than Buffy which is somewhat dated now. It's a balance between what the characters were like at the time, my Englishness and not dating it too much.

Hey I don't mind people printing and reading elsewhere, all I want to avoid is people not using the board and just taking the whole thing elsewhere. Just wanna keep this place thriving! Pleased you're still enjoying things :)

Thanks

Willsredemption - Whether Willow was a breast girl at heart or not, Tara boobs! They have superpowers. I decided. I don't get to read much (even published stuff) let alone other board fic, so comparisons always sail over my head but when a character is compared to someone seen to 'do it right' then I am happy! And yes, Anya is very equal opportunity in her suspicions :)

Thanks so much!

Justskipit - Heya, thanks very much. I never really noticed 'reticence' about Willow in canon, but I wonder if I am reading that the same way you meant it? She was slower, sure, but to me didn't hold back. Maybe she just didn't do the 'full Willow'... of course in canon she was masked by 'spells' and everything and we saw so little so... *shurgs* This is why I call this missing scenes :) Thanks!

Grimm - I have to say that Willow's definition of 'a sexy dress' is - literally - 'the dress that Tara is wearing' so... maybe it's not THAT fancy ;)

As referred to above, for me this is 'the full Willow' - how she'd be about anything else in canon, giving Tara the benefit! So happy you don't have complaints, but then you said why. It really is all about naked jiggles for you!

Thanks

Katharyn

Missocki - Thanks for the confirmation! Happy to see you readying Sidestep, you will now remember it better than me!! Happy to pick up any feedback in that thread though and comment on your thoughts, answer questions etc... (or just read it since I wrote about another book in terms of feedback replies so LOTS is covered!)

Thanks

Chance in *Chance*

Post subject: Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda - CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN - 11/26/12
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:34 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Title: Tara and Willow – Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda – Chapter Twenty-Seven
Author: Katharyn Rosser
Feedback: Absolutely, yes please. That’s why I write for this place, to engage in the discussion about the story.
Spoiler warning: Not sure why I am bothering, really, but Season 4 and Season 5 of BTVS.
Distribution: This story was written for Pens. Pens is its home. No archiving off Different Coloured Pens and the Kitten Board please. No conversion to eBook or other formats please. Enjoy it here.
Summary: The first chapter that would’ve taken place during ‘A New Man’ in canon. Tara and Willow are still together after the night before.
Disclaimer: I don’t own any of the copyrights or anything else associated with BTVS. All rights lie with the production company, writers etc. I am making no money from this series of stories however all original characters and situations remain my property. As this is a missing scenes and alternate reality fiction lots of scenes are new versions of those seen in the show, as such dialogue and situations are taken from the show. I’m sure you can tell which. All credit for those aspects goes to the original writers.
Rating: Occasional, tasteful, adult situations and contextual bad language. However by and large equivalent to the show.
Couples: Tara and Willow forever, that’s all I’m bothered about.
Text convention: Use of italics denotes either special emphasis if used for a single or a few words in a sentence OR first person thoughts if used for a whole sentence.
Notes: People who read me before know that I love, love, love doing morning scenes. I’m a morning person. I love mornings for these characters and so… it’s morning.
Forms the first chapter of ‘A New Man’ but doesn’t actually intrude too much into that episode because… I’m having fun.
You may see that the structure of A New Man, the birthday party, is part of the reason why Willow hasn’t told the scoobies yet. That and there's an episode I wanted that to fall in… Long term followers of my stories may appreciate why that is, even this early.  Structure rather than reason is to blame!
Also the first T&W chapter – I think – with no perspective change in it either. But I could be wrong about that.
Thanks to: A person who’s never quite this fun in the mornings, but is very tolerant of anyone wanting to whip out a laptop in bed. Kinky huh…?

Deep breath.

This was something she’d never done before. One of those moments when it all came together. One of the moments that defined who she was now. When you just knew… yeah, I’m a big old, gay girl and this is my girlfriend and… there’s nothing I want more right now than…

Wait. Fine. Yes, there’s one thing I want more, but… we’re taking it slow. We’re doing it right. We’re putting in the foundations. So…

Tara giggled as Willow did her little dance. There in the sunlight, curtains wide open with the sun streaming in. All she was wearing was… well, what she’d been left in last night.

When we were taking things at the… right pace.

Okay, she had to admit to herself that had she woken up alone and in her own bed, then thoughts, feelings and more than a little – there was no other word for it than ‘horniness’ - would’ve led to taking care of some personal business. But that didn’t change the fact that the pace was right and the dance was…

No, it wasn’t embarrassing. Not exactly.

So, yeah, she was framed in the window with the fall, morning sun shining down on her and warming her back. And no, there wasn’t any music and she couldn’t dance – it was good that Tara knew that to avoid unrealistic expectations – but… Tara wanted to see for herself and she was happy enough to oblige.

Oh, and she was wearing less than strippers in some states made a good living in.

“And that,” Willow said, still swaying, “was the last dance that I did.”

“What about graduation?”

Apparently Tara was ready to accept that she hadn’t been the type of girl who went to balls and proms, but she did – obviously – have expectations about graduation.

Shame… really. Nice story, not involving a lot of dancing.

“Hmm, did you ever go into town and see that big hole in the ground with a sign outside saying ‘Sunnydale High School’? It’s all fenced off now, because it’s dangerous.”

“You went there, I guess…”

“Better,” Willow said. “We did that. You know, along with more dynamite and homemade explosive than the FBI could’ve been happy about but I’m pretty sure that we got away with it.”

“Vampires?” Tara wondered, trying to sound unconcerned but not really succeeding.

“Only peripherally,” Willow said. “The old Mayor of Sunnydale – and I do mean old - turned into a giant snake demon and no one really knew what else to do. So… we blew him up.”

Tara didn’t seem quite as amused by that, so Willow did her teapot dance again, which did raise a smile. “Better,” she said. “I don’t like it when you frown.”

“I didn’t frown,” Tara said.

“But I do like it when you argue,” Willow said. Tara didn’t do that often enough. Sometimes, sure. And the more they got to know each other then the more it seemed she was willing to stand up for her opinions. But there’d been a serious moment, when they were having their first conversations, when she’d thought ‘this girl’s letting herself be a doormat.’

Not that she really was, just that she let it happen.

And that hadn’t been appealing.

Fortunately the kindness, the smile, the hair, the lips, the hands, the boobs and the sheer, damn hotness of Tara Maclay had held her back from rejecting what she’d been feeling out of hand and given them this chance to get to know each other.

Led them to the point they’d shared a bed for the first time and not held back from sharing their bodies… much. Surely it wasn’t going to be long before her dances for Tara would be both horizontal and totally naked? It’d happen at its own pace though, their pace.

They both agreed it was important and they both had something to be scared of there… Neither of them had, well, done ‘it’ and while some interpretation and some casual-as-possible research had led her to understand the theory behind ‘it’, there was a wonderful, terrifying and alluring distance between theory and practice.

Practice made perfect though and she’d never been one to stint on the practice.

And she did, truly, think that the more they were together without going there – frustrating as that could easily become – the less fear there’d eventually be. Fear wouldn’t exactly help the mood, although - last night - it’d felt that maybe it could’ve been bypassed with a healthy dose of lust.

Lordy… it’d been hard to remember what they’d told each other.

But later, at least part of last night, she’d lain there, quietly listening to Tara and feeling the soft warmth of the woman beside her. Some of that time she’d been sure Tara must’ve been awake too but the rest she was certain she hadn’t been. The breathing… Oh, the breathing. It was so easy to imagine - in the darkness – the soft wise and fall of her chest.

The rise and fall of those breasts she’d had her hands on for the first time…

Talk about alluring… Wow.

But she’d lain there and her mind had turned to what they’d done, what they’d not done and wondered whether Tara meant to surprise her this morning with an impromptu, unplanned move into even more intimacy.

She’d thought it unlikely because Tara – though not a planner – was a woman of her word. Even if her need had been as obvious as it had been last night, she’d never just go there without being certain – not without asking first.

And so her mind had turned to whether, you know, it would be too forward to… well, take advantage of their proximity and to wake Tara with a very special kiss.

But that was fantasy, that was assuming too much and she didn’t want to spoil anything. Because she was all on board the ‘when it happens, it’ll be special’ train. It was just that she could really, really have done with special being sooner…

Breathe… just breathe. Be sexy. She might be overcome with desire and pull you down to that bed and ravish you…

“Coffee?” Tara asked.

Goodbye ravishing. Hello wonderful caffeine.

“Please.”

By the time Tara came back, Willow had slipped back under the covers and – belatedly – put on one of Tara’s tee-shirts. She figured that if she was here she was going to have to shower and that meant she’d be wandering the halls and doing that in her skimpies – or having to get dressed and then undressed in the bathrooms – wasn’t so hot a deal.

She grinned as Tara saw her there and hesitated.

“Back to bed?” Tara asked.

“You have somewhere you need to be?”

“No… I just thought you’d want to go, so your roommate didn’t wonder where you were.”

“If she didn’t wonder last night, she won’t now,” she replied. Buffy wouldn’t worry much. Besides, she’d said she might be out late and Buffy had to have noticed the care she’d been putting into getting ready, the clothes she was putting on. She’d probably assumed she’d been staying over somewhere, having of the sexy times…

She wouldn’t have been wrong.

And – looking at Tara – she didn’t feel guilty at all for wanting to go further than they had, even after they’d agreed. Who wouldn’t have wanted to with this… this… goddess. And if she’d focused too much on the physical qualities it was only because the personality and the aspects of Tara’s mind were so beguiling as to draw her close enough to do that.

“Come to bed,” she said, pushing the covers aside.

“Okay.” All smiles.

Tara, wearing her robe, didn’t take it off when she got back in after handing over her coffee. “See anyone out there?” she wondered.

“No.”

“Oh.”

“You wanted me to?”

“I was hoping someone might’ve noticed I was here,” Willow said.

“R-Really? Why?”

“I don’t know,” she admitted. “I think… I think I like the idea that people know you have a girlfriend. Maybe that they told you how lucky you were to have me. Stuff like that.”

Tara thought about that for a moment. “Are we calling each other g-girlfriends now?”

“Aren’t we? I mean, we’re girls and we’re friends and that’s enough for one meaning like, you’re one of my girlfriends but then we have the other like ‘you’re my girlfriend’ and… don’t you think you are?”

Tara’s answer was a, very careful, kiss. Careful because spilling coffee would’ve really ruined the moment, not to mention the risk of ouchies.

“So that means you like the idea too?” Willow guessed.

“I don’t mind people knowing you’re my girlfriend,” Tara said. “I like it. I like it a lot.”

“And I like the way you say ‘lot’” Willow said.

“W-will you be telling people?” Tara asked.

“That I have a – you?”

“Yeah, tell them that you have a me.”

Willow pursed her lips and Tara turned away. Not look fully away, not looking in the other direction. But not meeting her eyes either. She didn’t look disappointed, she just didn’t look pleased…

“It’s complicated,” Willow said. Even though Tara knew that, because they’d part way had this conversation before and – she always felt a little bad about it. A little bad alongside all the good.

“I understand.”

“No, Tara, I don’t think you do.”

“I do. I understand.”

“Okay, you tell me what you understand? Please… I want you to know what I mean and I need to think about how I say that without saying way too much other stuff that I don’t want to say and you don’t want to hear, but - ”

“I understand,” Tara interrupted her but very, very quietly, meeting her eyes again. “I understand that you can’t just be this person. The one who’s with me now. Your friends, your family don’t know her. They know another Willow and it’d be a scary thing to find a way to let them know.”

Willow was about to deny that, to tell Tara that wasn’t it at all. But there was some of that. Of course there was. She wasn’t the sort of person who liked to shock people for its own sake so she had to be sensitive to what they thought and what they expected. Would Buffy have cared if she had a roommate who had a girlfriend? Probably not.

Mom and Dad, having a gay daughter? It’d be a little harder, but they wouldn’t disown her or stop loving her. They certainly wouldn’t try to burn her at the stake again, they’d been there and weren’t going there again. So… What held her back?

“No,” Willow said. “I mean yes, but also no. Mostly no. That’s not… You’re becoming really important to me, Tara. More important than you probably think you are. More important than how we were behaving last night and I hope we might again when we’re done with our coffee…” She left that hanging, not wanting a serious conversation to turn into a really serious conversation which might spoil things and maybe…

When Tara smiled and she knew that things were still okay then she pressed on. “See, one of the things, one of the other things, is that… I don’t know. Things are kind of difficult. I’ve moved out of home, I’m out on my own and my parents aren’t one of the biggest things in my life, do you know what I mean?”

Tara nodded, seeming really very interested in what she meant. “I-I do.”

“I know, I think you get it. I don’t have to explain myself to Mom and Dad like I did before and… for a long time I wasn’t really telling them the truth. I didn’t tell them I was out hunting vampires with the Slayer, I didn’t tell them that I was hacking into… well, lots of things. I didn’t even tell them I was dating a musician for a long time. So not telling them things is really like the default and they’re happy with that.

“The other side of that though,” she said, seeing Tara wanted her to continue, “is that there’s like this unspoken – and that’s not a joke – unspoken agreement that you don’t sneak things up on each other and suddenly be coming back home to tell them things that will surprise them.”

Did that sound very selfish? It did, when she said it sounded more and more selfish the further she’d gone. But… mostly that was because she didn’t know how to explain it.

“You’re right,” Tara said.

And that surprised her. ‘I understand’ would’ve been more than she could hope for. But ‘You’re right’?

“You’re right,” Tara said again. “You shouldn’t just turn up and come out with me or it - ”

“Wait, though,” Willow said, feeling all kinds of guilty and it was just worse because Tara was agreeing with her.

She’d come up with the problem, told an unpalatable truth. Now she needed a plan to get past that. “That’s one thing, but… I do want to introduce them to you. It’s not like they’re far away so… next time I go home for dinner, I’d really, really like you to come with me. We don’t have to say anything but… if we’re ourselves, don’t you think they might just…. Figure it out?”

“I don’t know,” Tara said, but she didn’t seem to be able to keep herself from smiling. “Will they?”

“Actually, I don’t know. Maybe.” Stranger things had definitely happened here in Sunnydale. Somehow she thought that her Dad might even be the one who’d notice. He was the one of the two who paid attention, quietly taking everything in.

“D-do you really mean it?”

“I, Willow Rosenberg, want you, Tara Maclay, to join me the next time I go home. And when we’re there I want us to just be together with them. But… not making out or anything. I mean, I wouldn’t do that with anyone.”

Tara tipped her head, looking at her. If a face could tell reflect an attitude then this one was: ‘You really think I’m going to make out with you in front of your parents I’ve just met? Come on!’

“Not that I think you would because, we can make out any time. Before. After. Now… maybe?”

Tara tipped the coffee cup at her, showing her feelings about the idea and Willow chose to interpret it as ‘after the coffee.’

“Okay, okay, I’m greedy, I know… But you’re right – there’s something else I have to say. I won’t be around tonight, it’s Buffy’s birthday and we’re going – well, we’re going for a night out. It’s kind of a specific crowd and no one knows you except as the girl who worked with a Goddess, killed a British vampire and gave them a ring…”

“I don’t mind,” Tara said. “I get it.”

“No, I’m not sure you do.” She seemed to be saying that a lot. And it wasn’t really what she meant, but Tara was just… giving in too easily. Without asking her stuff. She wanted to be challenged though.

“I mean… I don’t want them to look at you and worry about you. Worry whether you’re on our side or what our side is. I want them to look at you and say ‘there’s the girl Willow’s with.’”

“I like that,” Tara said, sounding… well, she hadn’t sounded disappointed before. But now she sounded more… understanding and that was something she’d figured out Tara did really, really well. Tara was like Little Miss Understanding.

Hot Little Miss Understanding.

“Being the girl I’m with?”

Tara nodded, sipping her coffee and looking at it.

“You don’t mind? I mean… If you want to come then we’re going, absolutely, but part of tonight is supposed to be about Buffy just having a night off. No monsters, no vampires, no giant snakes, no dynamite or pointy sticks.”

“I get it,” Tara said. “No demons.”

“Yeah, no demons. That’s a great catch-all.”

“It’s okay,” Tara said. “I’ll meet them another time.”

“And you know,” Willow said, only realising what she was saying as the words slipped out of her mouth, “there’ll be other birthdays, for all of us…”

Way to heap pressure on the relationship…

Tara set aside her coffee cup, then took Willow’s and put that next to it.

“But I haven’t had my caffeiney goodness, I’ve been talking - ”

It wasn’t long until she didn’t care.

Chance in *Chance*

Post subject: Re: Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda - CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN - 11/26/1
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:11 pm 
5. Willowhand

:banana This was such a cute little update, plus it really did a great job of moving the along in their relationship. I got to say I just adored this "“I mean… I don’t want them to look at you and worry about you. Worry whether you’re on our side or what our side is. I want them to look at you and say ‘there’s the girl Willow’s with.’”" It really does make sense and it's sweet. Willow does want her friends to understand that they are into each other, not finding out about the super beings that they each happen to associate with.

Plus, yes, morning snuggles are great!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:04 pm 
9. Gay Now

Topics: 15
Quote:
It wasn’t long until she didn’t care.

Oh yeah.

I think Willow did a brilliant job of explaining herself here, and checking with Tara to see if she'd got it.
Bravo!

I can't hardly wait for the next bit, observe as i bounce in my chair. :bounce

Oh, they're so cute!

R

My Story: Coming Home

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:45 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Katharyn, I like that Willow is trying to get Tara to stand up for herself. That’s not such an easy thing to do sometimes. I agree that it’s often not good to surprise family and close friends with a major revelation. The shock can lead to disbelief and/or dismissals that it’s not real.. just a phase or whatever.

Inviting Tara to join her for her next family dinner visit was sweet. I always imagined, if he met Tara, Ira would clue in right away they were a couple and be very supportive. Shelia, on the other hand.. it’s hard to picture her doing anything besides holding a MOO sign. LOL I hope you plan to include a missing scene chapter of Tara meeting the Rosenbergs that would be awesome!

My heart hurt when Tara said, “I get it .. No demons.” I guess it’s going to be a long road to get to that secret being revealed. But.. I’m glad that thought didn’t surface and intrude on her loving morning smoochies with Willow.

Great update.. :grin Ready for more!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:24 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Missocki - Thanks... I'm probably going to KEEP explaining away why they're not open and honest with everyone for a while yet. Like I said in another post it's a story necessity, you know where it fell in canon (to Buffy and then where it almost happened to the others before a certain (This Years) Girl got in the way and guessed... I need to maintain the secret for that long for story reasons. But I want better reasons than the show went into for doing it. Diana is one such reason so I am pleased this rings true with you, and I think it's valid too. Until Diana situation gets resolved, it'd be tough for them not to be suspicious of Tara unless she does them a solid.

Thanks!

Azirahael - That 'didn't care' thing... obviously they don't go TOO far. But as Willow has wondered about 'bases' and what constitutes bases between two girls, it's an interesting question. Call me biased, but I tend to believe that there's much more 'vagueness' about that between girls and you sure can have a lot of fun without - maybe - considering that you've done that home run. Course my experience of the traditional version is non-existent!

As I said to Missocki, so pleased that the reasoning rings true... we're going to be stuck here a while, but once they're open and out... no stopping them :)

Thanks so much for the enthusiasm!

Kajun - I'd like to think that maybe Sidestep shaped that impression of Ira since you read it since that is exactly what I did there and showed him. Or it could be another fic or just your imagination ;) I can't honestly recall whether I showed the meeting with the Rosenbergs here. But I know that I do refer to them... If not, I might have to think about it and consider writing it just for giggles...

Yes, it was a very deliberate choice to keep what Tara believes about herself on the table with 'no demons'. Obviously when writing from her PoV it's hard to ignore it. And yes, we're a ways off yet. I was redrafting part 76 or so this morning which is Buffy vs. Dracula so you can see how far we are away from Family! And again, structurally, some things happen at the same point just to keep the parallels, that's another one of them - and no one seems to mind Tara keeping that secret!

Tara is, though, making the best of the time she believes she has and - more than that - hoping it won't come to what she believes in Family. I had more issues with canon Tara in that regard than I do with any fiction based one. She really didn't have 'a plan' or even much of 'a hope' and just got to her birthday seemingly knowing what would happen without saying anything. I can't blame her for not being able to, of course, but I always wondered what that said. Was it that she just lived in a delusional form of hope? Or was it that she really didn't believe it? I don't know... In this one though, she'll have some sort of plan. Whether or not it will work.

If you're ready for more - and because the board delayed that last update for a few days - I'll put the next part up... oooh, in a few minutes.

Thanks,
Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

Post subject: Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda - CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT - 11/28/12
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:30 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Title: Tara and Willow – Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda – Chapter Twenty-Eight
Feedback: Absolutely, yes please. That’s why I write for this place, to engage in the discussion about the story.
Spoiler warning: Not sure why I am bothering, really, but Season 4 and Season 5 of BTVS.
Distribution: This story was written for Pens. Pens is its home. No archiving off Different Coloured Pens and the Kitten Board please. No conversion to eBook or other formats please. Enjoy it here.
Summary: During the time and events of ‘A New Man’ Willow is out at Buffy’s birthday and Tara receives a visitor.
Disclaimer: I don’t own any of the copyrights or anything else associated with BTVS. All rights lie with the production company, writers etc. I am making no money from this series of stories however all original characters and situations remain my property. As this is a missing scenes and alternate reality fiction lots of scenes are new versions of those seen in the show, as such dialogue and situations are taken from the show. I’m sure you can tell which. All credit for those aspects goes to the original writers.
Rating: Occasional, tasteful, adult situations and contextual bad language. However by and large equivalent to the show.
Text convention: Use of italics denotes either special emphasis if used for a single or a few words in a sentence OR first person thoughts if used for a whole sentence.
Notes: Now some of you may be wondering why Tara and Willow aren’t doing spells yet. What’s that? You were too caught up in smoochies? Yeah, so were they. See, look… You have this hot girlfriend, you’re able to take things as fast or slow as you want and you can make it all text. None of this subtext nonsense. Seems to me that you don’t need spells as a surrogate for sex.
At the time it was fun enough, but would you rather say ‘Tara and Willow are together because they’re falling in love’ or ‘Tara and Willow are together because spells feel really good?’ Hmm. Thought so. Besides, seriously, what would you be doing? Be honest now…Yeah, you wouldn’t have waited as long as either of them either!
Just for fun, there’s a Sidestep reference in this section, but you can blink and you’ll miss it. More obviously though, Willow’s slip of the tongue about girls and Buffy’s assumptions… all late additions.
Finally, I switched the order of the Tara and Willow PoV around in this part at a very late stage. Hopefully it doesn’t affect anything I missed, but it seemed better to end on Tara’s. Be curious to see if anyone (dis)agrees.
Music: Today’s first draft writing music was Prodigy and… that had not a lot of influence on the part! Can you ever get too old for the music you enjoyed when you were young enough to be, you know, current? I think that’s a question for future Willow to worry about. Though she starts out on a similar topic…

“Is it me?” Willow asked. “Or… are we the old people that we always thought should just get on, move on and stop coming here once they went to college?”

The barman shrugged and didn’t bother answering her, not including himself in her deliberations or the definition of ‘we’.

Willow took their drinks and headed back towards the table where Buffy and the others were waiting. Giles wasn’t here, the whole place would – and did - fill him with abhorrence and dread, but he’d said happy birthday earlier and there’d been a present for Buffy too.

Seemed like he was in a strange mood though… Maybe it was just that he was getting older too?

Which brought her back round to thinking about the fact that, once upon a time, she’d thought college freshmen that hung out here were older and sophisticated and now that she was one she didn’t feel all that sophisticated - except when she was with Tara.

Somehow… She’d spent a good chunk of the night missing her new girlfriend and regretting her choice in trying to keep the young woman all to herself. At te time it’d felt like she had good reasons – including not wanting the night to be about her and Scooby suspicions when it should’ve been about Buffy but… still.

Another chunk of her time had – naturally enough – really been enjoying the togetherness of the group, even if Anya was here with them.

After all, this was them. This was their place. There might be a new bunch of high-schoolers sitting in their booth and enjoying a new band and… looking at them like they were aliens or something. They didn’t get it, until they let it go this would stay as their place. And they had the only Slayer too so bonus points there.

Yeah, they’d earned their places. The Bronze was… theirs, won in a few battles - actually. From the marks on the tables where Buffy had beaten her urge to bite her nails by digging them into the wood to the spot where an experiment with a little magic had singed a stool with an almost perfect image of her butt.

A butt Tara had admired in very delicious ways just last night.

The rest of the time though… Yeah, she could understand what Giles might be feeling. Around all these… youngsters.

Maybe.

It wasn’t like she’d asked him, but she could see what he might be seeing. He’d spent the last few years hanging out with a bunch of teenagers, Olivia wasn’t around enough to call her ‘part of his life’ and he was practically unemployed now that the school had blown up.

Another consequence of their snakey demolitions.

Willow could see his point… She was hanging out with her old friends, not much had changed there since they’d been at the Bronze nearly every night. New faces, Anya, Eddie… Some old ones had fallen by the wayside and… well, she didn’t feel bad about that anymore. Not in the slightest. But basically they were all expecting each other to be the same people they had been back in high school, but things were definitely changing.

There was Tara for a start and she wasn’t part of this gang. Wasn’t a part of this history. She was something brand new.

And she wasn’t sure how she felt about that. Tara was at the centre of her thoughts now and her older friends inevitably were a little more on the periphery because of it. So while she did feel guilty for keeping Tara from the others, there was also something that just felt like…

I’m growing up and she’s part of that grown up world.

But so, she hoped, would everyone else be.

With the possible – or probable – exception of Anya. Her hopes there were… different.

“Here you go,” she said, delivering the drinks. Anya still wasn’t happy about the fact that she couldn’t get herself a drink with actual alcohol in – getting carded hadn’t been her favourite experience – but she’d made up for the lack of booze through sheer ostentation. The neon pink drink with the huge curly straw, umbrella and most of a portion of exotic fruit salad had kept her at the bar for about ten minutes and earned her the smouldering wath of the guy behind the bar.

Embarrassing to order, obviously, so she’d made sure to point out that it wasn’t for her. She’d tried to show sympathy too.

“Thanks, Will,” Buffy said brightly, raising her glass to her.

“Happy birthday, again!”

“Yeah, Buff, nineteen years old and in college, bet you never saw that coming.”

Willow winced as Xander said it. It was the sort of thing even she wouldn’t have blundered into. But no-one had ever said he was oblivious and he followed it up.

“I mean, like, because of the whole life expectancy thing – you weren’t expected to survive this long so… Happy birthday?”

Anya pulled on his arm, as if about to tell him a secret that everyone could hear. “I don’t think you’re helping.”

“And with that, I think I’ll just go…” he pointed and left the table.

“Wait for me!” Anya called and hurried after him.

“Why’s she going with him?” Buffy asked.

“With those two it’s usually better not to ask,” she replied.

Or think about it too carefully.

“It’s nice to see him happy though,” Buffy said.

“Uhuh, you too - ”

“What do you mean?”

“Well,” Willow said, “You and Eddie seem to be doing great. So long as you don’t give him too much sugar. He doesn’t take it too well, does he?”

“There is no ‘me and Eddie’, he’s just a friend.”

“Uhuh.” That was what the air quotes had been for. Just friends.

“He’s just a friend.”

“Uhuh.”

“Willow! Can you really see me and Eddie… I mean…?”

“Actually,” Willow said, suddenly asked to put into words what she’d been thinking for a while. “I can. I mean… Not what you might have meant, I don’t see that because I don’t think about that but the two of you? Together in a relationship way? Come on, why not? Every boyfriend you’ve ever had has – at some point – either betrayed you or tried to kill you. Sometimes both at the same time.”

“Not every boyfriend,” Buffy said, but she didn’t sound like she was expecting to fool anyone and couldn’t offer up examples. Why? Because sometimes sweeping statements were right.

“Uh-uh,” Willow replied. “Unless you’ve been a secret slutty-slut-slut then I have to say that, actually, it is every single boyfriend. One even followed you across the state to get turned into a vampire.”

“That was different, he was really hurting.”

“I know, and I’m sorry about that but… Eddie won’t hurt you Buffy. He won’t betray you. He won’t try to bite you except, you know, in ways that some people – not saying that’d be me or you - might find kind of a turn on. I mean, he looks like he’d faint at the sight of blood, that’s got to be a positive. Including his own - ”

Especially his own,” said the girl who didn’t think a night was going well unless she got into a fight to the death at the end of it.

“There you go. You know what you need? I’ll tell you. You need you some normal, girl. You need no pressure, no grand drama, no sweeping romance, no blood red roses, no men climbing in through your windows – which, I have to remind you is also my window now so keep that one in mind – but you know what I mean? All you wanted for so long was to be a normal girl. Doesn’t a normal girl need a normal partner?”

“Partner?”

“Guy, you know or girl… but you’re not into that, so I come back to guy. I meant guy.”

“Are you okay?” Buffy asked, looking at her as if she was a little strange. It was hardly a new expression. She usually saw it once or twice a day.

“I’m good, I’m fine and I’m prone to babble – this you already know.”

“It’s not the babble I’m wondering about – Willow, do you think… are you worried that I’m pushing Eddie away because I’m a lesbian?”

“No!” It was almost laughable. Buffy? Into girls? No one would’ve thought that.

“I don’t know… what are you talking about then?”

“Nothing – look, can’t a person be inclusive without having any ulterior motive for it? All I said was that, if you were into girls, then that would be totally normal too and normal’s what you need. It’s avoiding the supernatural, evil and general bastards that you should be worried about. Not what’s in their pants.”

“Okay… though, for the record, I think it’d be a little odd – for me.”

“So the evidence would suggest…” Willow said quietly.

“Cos, you know I like the boys. I want something in the pants.”

There’s something in girl’s pants too. She wanted to say it, but she didn’t. That might’ve been a bit too on the nose. A little too much.

“What is wrong with you, Will?”

Frustrated in her half-hearted attempt to make things a little more obvious and yes, on the nose, she turned her attention to the other thing. “I’m just… Look, you and Eddie get on. Until he had that virgin cocktail and hit the sugar high, you were finishing each other’s sentences… why did you wince when I said… Oh! I get it… He’s a… Well, he’s not very experienced is he?”

“He thinks ‘hide the sausage’ is something to do with breakfast.”

“Oh.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Just, you know, oh. Nothing but ‘oh’. You’re worried he’s not going to make you go ‘oh’ aren’t you?” Tara had already made her go ‘oh’, just not… a much prolonged ‘ohhh’.

“He’s not my boyfriend,” Buffy said again, seeming to think that would do as an answer.

“Just because you had a vampire boyfriend who, even before he became a vampire, had slept with probably hundreds of women – good thing the bugs don’t get to live on vampires huh?”

“Willow!”

“Umm, I mean, just because you had Angel as a boyfriend… I mean, look, he probably knew what he was doing but as soon as he slept with you… What’s up with sex equalling ‘perfect happiness’ for him anyway?” Didn’t say much for the idea that he’d loved her, did it?

“Will, I’m so not going there. Eddie’s not my boyfriend and that has nothing to do with Angel or whether he… whether he knows where to hide the sausage. We’re just friends.”

“You two,” Willow said, “would be great together. Your Mom would love him too.”

“Compared to a vampire? Yeah, probably. She’d probably think anyone was better for me than Angel.”

“Anyone but the one we don’t mention,” Willow said. “But… we’re not talking about him because you did a really good job of kicking him in the crotch and that’s the only history that matters there. Bygones. But look, Buff, give Eddie a shot. I mean, even if you have to throw yourself at him, we can all see how he looks at you…”

“Yeah, like he’s petrified,” Buffy pointed out.

“Petrified but really, really attracted. Who hangs around a girl that they’re terrified of unless she’s really into her?”

“She?”

“Slip of the, umm, tongue.”

“I’m not a lesbian, Willow. I’m not even bi-sexual.”

“I said slip of the tongue.”

“It’s where you think I’m planning on slipping my tongue that seems skewed,” Buffy said. “Where did you get this from?”

Your tongue? No. Not yours.

“I really don’t think you’re gay,” Willow said. “Cross my heart. But Eddie, please, Buffy.”

“You can’t force something that just won’t work,” Buffy said, making it sound like a quote.

“You can’t rule something out until you try it,” Willow said, just as quotey.

“Is this about me and girls again?” Buffy wondered. “Look, is someone at that Wicca Group you went to saying something about me?”

“Why would you say…?”

“Is it that Tara girl? Does she like me?”

“No! I mean, no, she’s not said anything about you – and like that and what makes you think she’s into girls?” Willow asked, flustered beyond all capacity to analyse it. Getting Tara to look up was hard enough until you got to know her, there was no way in all the hells that she’d looked at Buffy that way, or probably any other.

“She’s at the Wicca Group,” Buffy said with a shrug.

“So? I’ve gone and I’m probably going again.”

“But you’re undercover,” Buffy pointed out.

“Does that mean everyone should assume I’m a lesbian?” she wondered. As long as the news was hers to give then… why was there any reason to care? But having people just assume, even when they were right about Tara, didn’t feel quite right… What was up with that?

They might assume other things. That was probably it. You couldn’t just go around making assumptions – right or wrong – left and right. Where would that sort of behaviour end up? In wrong, mistaken assumptions, judging a book by its cover, not looking under the hood and… and…

People shouldn’t just think they knew Tara.

Period.

Because none of what they’d assume bore any relation to the woman herself and that, maybe, was why she had some sympathy for Eddie. He was a quiet guy, not very confident. He’d come to college and not had too many friends and…

Well, okay, he wasn’t hot like Tara. But… why couldn’t Buffy give it a shot? It wasn’t even a question of giving him a chance because how patronising was that? What sort of basis for a relationship? She hadn’t given Tara a chance. If anything Tara had taken a chance on her and thank God she had because…

Would I ever have realised who I was, who she was, if she hadn’t smiled at me just like that?

Eddie wasn’t Tara but… couldn’t he have his charms, things to wonder at? Couldn’t he be the nice guy Buffy needed? Couldn’t he smile in just the right away?

Why not? Did they have to be dark, broody, bad boys who’d hurt her? They did it better than any vampire or demon she fought.

Maybe… attraction could be strange like that. Look at what it’d surprised her with.

“Okay, obviously a touchy subject,” Buffy said.

“No, no, it’s not. I just… I don’t like it when people think they know someone when they really don’t and if they did take the time to know someone, gave them a chance, then they really would be glad to know them because there are some wonderful people out there… Umm, once you get to know them?”

Buffy looked confused, perhaps understandably. “Wait now. Are we talking about me, Eddie or you now?”

“None of the above,” Willow said, all ready to put Tara’s name out there but then Anya appeared again. Curses.

“Yes, Eddie. He would be an excellent mate for you, Buffy.”

They both looked at the other girl, questions – differing questions – in mind. Not that they probably wanted the answers.

“Is this anything to do with not being single, so I’m not going to come after Xander?” Buffy asked.

“Oh, you do understand,” Anya clapped her hands happily.

“Well, thank you both for your concern about my romantic life,” Buffy said. “But between the two of you I can pretty much promise that the next time I do start seeing someone, I’ll just keep it to myself for a while.”

Testify, sister.

“But we already know about Eddie.”

“I’m not dating Eddie!”

“So are you just using him for random sex?” Xander asked when he came back to the table, handed a wet wipe by Anya before she put her hand back in his.

“No, I’m not and what was that?”

“Wet wipe, you want one?”

“Couldn’t you just wash your hands?” Willow asked. “Like a regular person.”

“I don’t like the chemical smell of the soap,” Anya said. “And it dries his hands out. I like them to be soft when Xander - ”

“Okay! Enough of that thought,” Buffy interrupted, saving her the trouble. “Whatever it is.”

Let the bickering commence. They all knew how to do that. It didn’t mean much, no one really meant anything that was said, but… it just seemed a little pointless. It seemed like they – all of them – needed to grow up.

And maybe she’d started to do that. When she’d used to come here to watch Oz she’d been a girl, caught up in girlish things and dreaming of college and…

Now, with Tara, she was feeling a bit more like a woman. Dreaming of… Tara. That was the thing, she wasn’t looking to the future and other things, she was looking to the now, what she had. That was new.

And it sucked that she sometimes didn’t feel like she wanted these people, her friends, to be a part of that.

But before the wet wipe incident had interrupted them, hadn’t Buffy just said something that was very, very true? That she’d just keep her next date to herself for a while?

And if she thought that… If she’d do it?

After all, what would Tara think if she saw them now? Sitting here, surrounded by younger people – but obviously not Sunnydale High students since they’d blown the school up – and holding onto their misspent youth?

Did she have to feel bad about keeping her girlfriend a secret?

One day she’d introduce her but… not today.

Tara nearly jumped out of her skin when a wet nose pushed at her bare thigh, just inside the flap of her robe.

Jumped and shouted, “Ah!”

“Ah, Tara.”

She pushed at the big, soft furred head. “Callisto! Stop - ”

Diana made a soft whistling nose through her teeth and the bitch ceased her attempts to sniff around her and returned the Goddesses side. She looked just a little disappointed. Callisto. Not the Goddess.

Wait… The Goddess was here. In her dorm room…

What was she doing here?

Thoughts of Willow had been in her head all day, nothing new there, but she’d had cause to wonder just how right the time needed to be for them to fulfil the promise of their passion and growing… love.

Amongst her books, her classes and ultimately when she’d been running on the treadmill down at the gym – figuring if she was going to be here she better learn how to run away more convincingly – she’d determined that ‘love’ was the key.

When they were admitting that to each other, out loud and not just saying the word without appreciating the full meaning of it… that was the point when there was no better time for what, by now, seemed inevitable.

And did she love Willow? Unquestionably.

Did Willow love her? Even though she’d been left behind while her girlfriend – she was saying that much freely enough – went to a birthday party without her? Yes, she rather thought she did but it was a big, huge[/] step to say so and mean everything that lay behind the word.

More because there was a huge pressure that went with it. To live up to it. For the other person to feel the same way and to say it to. And, in their case, maybe to take things to the next [i]physical
level too.

“Diana.”

“Apologies for the hound, Tara,” Diana said.

“Her nose is just cold.”

“And you’ve declined to dress after your cleansing.”

Tara tightened the robe around herself, even though she wasn’t anything like indecent beneath it. “I was about to,” she said. So she’d been to the gym. So it was the first time and so – with Willow not being expected – she’d thought a lazy evening of reading was okay. She didn’t have to get dressed for that and if Willow came around later… It’d be efficient.

“The woman that you took to your bed?” Diana asked, looking around as if expecting Willow to leap from the closet.

“How - ?” Stupid question. This was a Goddess.

“Her scent is mixed with yours,” Diana said. “Even after you cleanse and the bed itself too.”

“She’s not here,” Tara said. “She has – an event, with friends. Other friends. It’s just – it’s complicated.” Somehow she felt she should defend Willow even though no accusation had been made and – actually – she thought that she’d have liked to have been there.

After all, Willow probably didn’t make friends with people she wouldn’t have liked and that Buffy had seemed… She seemed nice enough. Even though they’d met in more of a professional capacity, with the ring and all.

But, all the same, she understood why she wasn’t there. Willow had explained it and… the nervous part of her agreed with the logic. Friends who would’ve been another pressure on their budding relationship. Burgeoning, maybe. Maybe they were ‘burgeoning’ now?

She felt like they should be burgeoning.

Was it any coincidence she’d run faster and longer than ever before – which wasn’t to say very fast or very long – while Willow was elsewhere? Maybe not… One day though, given everything that was happening, being able to run away really quickly or for a really long time might come in really handy.

And it’d felt good too, which had surprised her. Not good like making out with Willow good. But good all the same.

Good for the times when she couldn’t make out with Willow and was feeling a little tense.

“Hmm.”

Tara ignored the implied criticism, this was a Goddess, here in her dorm room and that wasn’t someone you really argued with. At least not when you weren’t dressed. She liked to think that clothes gave you more authority to be who you should be. “Was there something you wanted me to do?”

“It is past time.”

“T-time for what?” Had she forgotten something?

“Your responsibilities, it is past time that you accepted them,” Diana said.

“R-responsibilities?” She hadn’t agreed to any responsibilities and though Diana had vaguely hinted at their existence, asking her to be prepared to lead the Wicca Group, she didn’t think that merited turning up here this evening.

“It is your nature, Tara, to protect and to nurture. Another life would’ve seen you a hunter, much as I am, but here, in this one? You need to protect those who cannot protect themselves, you need to keep evil from dominating.”

“There’s evil afoot?” she wondered. Knowing where Willow – and her friends that included a Slayer – were meant she could always go get some help if she needed it but… Goddess? Maybe she didn’t need them and they were having a party. A night off for Buffy.

And what did Diana mean, that she’d have been a hunter in a different life?

“Not evil. There is… indifference.”

Now what did that mean?

“What is it you want me to do?” she asked.

Chance in *Chance*

Post subject: Re: Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda - CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT - 11/28/1
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:07 pm 
5. Willowhand

And so Diana comes back into the fold. I'm amused by her acknowledgement of the Hunter Tara... I am curious as to the duties of to which Diana is alluding. Hrm. I hope whatever she has Tara do it will get her on the "good side" of the other scoobies.
Willow and the babbling. Good god that's a lotta fruadian slips. Geesh. Buffy must be confused by Willow.
I'm still happy to see Eddie being around. I liked his character in the show and had originally hoped that him and Buffy would be a thing. Now if Buffy would just give him a shot. He's cute and sweet, so that can't be good... Ah freshman Buffy, so oblivious to other's pangs of the heart.

And Katharyn, believe me when I say I know you are very proactive and forward thinking on the motivations of your characters and plot, with justifications for everything, so I am fully accepting of the choices and the journey you are taking is on. I am excited to continue to read and see where you are taking us kittens.

Missocki :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:54 pm 
9. Gay Now

it's probably a good sign that i CAN'T WAIT for the next bit!

Heh, i think the guys would have a meltdown if they knew i was reading lesbian stories here at work :)

and yes, anticip..........ation is good, so feel free to hold off on the plunge.

:)

Gosh that was a bit freudian :)

R

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:14 am 

Uh oh....Does Diana's return put the brakes on the near-naked smoochies?

So, Diana wants Tara to get the people of Sunny D to care? Is she gonna be an inspiratation to the masses or just the Blessed wannabe's? Willow might not be on board with that. She's not big with the sharing.

Lol @ all of Willow's little slips of the tongue. Boy is she projecting when it comes to the Eddie/Buffy situation. Eddie is no Tara. He may be a nice guy. But, like Willow said : He's not all kinds of hot like Ms. Maclay :whip .

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:18 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Missocki and Grimm - Hunter Tara is, of course, Sidestep Tara for those who read it... a little nod :)

It's interesting to me - always - how people read the story and what they take from it. It can be down to how I wrote it, but also down to reader perceptions. For example you are wondering what the duties are and Grimm feels that she knows what the duties are... Did one of you miss something or read more into it or both see it differently to what I intended?! Could be... could be... LOL

Also, I suppose, the reason I sometimes go overboard in writing is when I want to make something VERY clear. Or if I think you'd miss one Freudian slip so I have to add another and another :) LOL. Yes, you have a writer who is a control freak... And I just loved making Buffy think Willow thought she was a lesbian...

Okay Grimm... you're released to your own feedback.... Missocki - Eddie... Well, I'm not cruel enough just to crush the guy. I mean, I might make him evil or kill him, but I'm unlikely to just have Buffy stamp on his heart... right? :D

Thank you for saying I am proactive and forward thinking but it's only partially true. What I am is good at writing notes and when I think of something cool in the future making a note to say I need to add it to earlier parts in redraft :) That's probably not totally honest, there is some thought and planning but not as much as you'd think on first draft! I am currently redrafting part 78 and 79 (BIG SURPRISE REVEAL - LOTS OF FUN /TEASEOFF) and finding all sorts of stuff. In one way I really love redraft because of what it gives me chance to do. It's so long since I wrote it that it's like reading it fresh... (or just reading it!)

Thanks, and thanks for letting me witter!

Azirahael - Howdy :) I will definitely take it as a good sign and you're lucky, since I want to post again on Sunday I am going to give you another part tonight... I'm far enough ahead I think to be extravagant :)

Plunging? Which base is that? :D

Thanks!

Grimm - Umm, there's no braking the smoochies. No ma'am.

As I said above, I'm always fascinated by how people read and what they give significance to... Maybe you're right, maybe you're off beam... Could be you have to read the next chapter to see ;)

Willow's at the point where she's quite looking forward to slipping her tongue... *COUGH*

Thanks and enjoy the next part, up in a few minutes.

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

Post subject: Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda - CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE - 11/30/12
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:23 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Title: Tara and Willow – Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda – Chapter Twenty-Nine
Summary: Continues through the time and events of ‘A New Man’ Tara happens across another Scooby member she’s never been introduced to.
Notes: When I start talking about Gods in this part there is at least some basis in ‘fact’ and some attempt at ‘research’. Of course, since Wikipedia gave me the line I needed you can believe it or not (maybe I wrote the reference!). But you can go and look it up for yourself if you want… I was amazed and gladdened…
Thanks to: Whoever created a certain Warlock. He’s fun to play with.

Sneaky.

Sneaky like a cat!

Taking responsibility was, Tara had realised, a lot like being helpful. But… sneakier. At least so far.

Diana was off ‘making preparations’, whatever that meant, and so she only had Jupiter and Callisto for company and they were being impressively sneaky too.

For their size. When they wanted to the two dogs could move really, really quietly and what – at full speed – sounded a little like a herd of sheep running across concrete could also be absolutely silent.

What would Willow think of her now? Running around – well, walking anyway – with two giants of dogs as her protectors?

As if knowing she was thinking about them, both pushed their giant heads at her hands – which was more like up at chest level when they angled them upwards. If one ever jumped up then she better hope the other did at the same time in the opposite direction or she was definitely going down.

And not in the good way that had just popped into her head as a natural consequence of Willow-thoughts.

Willow who was off with her friends celebrating Buffy’s nineteenth birthday…

It was, surprisingly, tough to regret the way things had worked out. Yeah, she’d have liked to have been with Willow, but certainly she didn’t want them to be living in each other’s pockets the whole time either. Sometimes a break had to be a good thing, right?

And was that the sort of thing you admitted when they hadn’t actually been in each other’s pockets? Probably not. Sounds more like finding excuses.

Besides, if she got this favour done early enough then she was confident that she’d be back before Willow said she might come around, ‘later’. It wasn’t that she felt she had to be but obviously she really wanted to be.

And given Willow’s appreciation of their time with each other, ‘might’ seemed pretty likely too.

Previously when she’d been out with them, the dogs had been leading – or the Goddess herself had stretched out her senses into the animals and gained the benefit to enable them to find their prey – but not this time.

This time the dogs were just here for her protection. And not necessarily from the supernatural. There weren’t many towns in the America that were safe for a young woman to wander round after dark when she was away from the well-lit areas.

Ironically, Sunnydale might’ve been one of the safer ones. At least if you didn’t run into vampires or demons. As Willow had told her, if you excluded the missing persons and deaths, Sunnydale was a pretty safe place to be. Petty crime had been supplanted by major, supernatural, crime and some people actually thought that was a good thing.

Even if they only understood and noticed the one side of the equation.

Chances of getting robbed wandering around, say, LA? Pretty high at this time of night. Chances of getting robbed here? Almost non-existent, according to Willow.

Still, she was glad that the dogs were here and they seemed to pick up on that too.

She was leading them though. Diana had told her she could do this and – most significantly – without the complex rituals that would’ve pinned her down to one location.

All she had to do was listen.

Well, not all she had to do. First she needed to find the calm and that had been more difficult than it had been back in that room, amongst the other Wicca group members. In there the sound of Diana’s voice, the synchronisation of so many people’s breathing had easily lulled her into the right state. Out here… it had definitely been harder.

But she’d done it. She’d pushed aside concerns about papers that weren’t writing themselves, about Willow’s friends and their party and about the woman she knew she was falling for too. She didn’t worry about succeeding in her task, she didn’t worry about what might happen if she didn’t. She just cleared her mind and…

Knew where she was going.

The utility of the dogs was that her sense had pretty much taken the form of a straight line bearing, not a street map. Seemingly understanding the direction they had to take, they’d led her unerringly around the worst of the undergrowth and bush, into town where her street smarts – such as they were - took over and they of were less use.

But nothing and no one had tried to mess with her. Natural selection should’ve taken care of anyone who might have wanted to. If not then the dogs certainly would’ve.

So she had the bearing and they’d emerged into one of the lit areas of town again. Restaurants, bars and she realised they weren’t that far from the little place where she and Willow had dinner. Were they going there? No… A little to the right. What was that? East? She wasn’t too sure, but ‘right’ would do…

Until, finally, she paused in front of a bar. That was what her sense of what was wrong had led her to?

A bar?

She wasn’t even twenty-one and she had two big dogs with her. There were probably rules about those sorts of things. On the other hand, it seemed less likely that the staff would object to two really big dogs than to two normal sized ones. There was that natural selection again, humankind would’ve learned that really big dogs pretty much had right of way, no matter where they wanted to go.

And did she look like she’d have any control over them? Doubtful.

Callisto paused, looked up at her and then sighed long and loud. How much air did one of these hold in their lungs? Lots, she was willing to bet and their breath wasn’t that pleasant either.

Too much raw meat, she realised. Even if it’s occasionally long dead.

Agreeing with the animal, she reached out and petted them both for seeing her here before Jupiter followed Callisto’s lead and flopped down onto the pavement, muzzle pointed right at the window of the bar.

If she got into trouble she had no doubt at all that both of them would come crashing through the window, but they were going to let her go in there alone. Kind of like they knew the health codes.

In there alone, when she had no idea what the problem actually was.

Gulp.

Abruptly the calm that she’d been making good use of became much harder to maintain, but then she was here now and… And she just needed to get in there and see to it.

Whatever ‘it’ was.

And whatever ‘it’ was drinking.

Luckily the calm washed over her once again, like lying in the tub with the taps running and letting the warm water slip up over you. She had no idea who or what she was looking for, what they were doing or what she needed to do about it. The calm would be… useful. Diana’s lessons, similarly, could be described that way.

What she had to do and what she could do about it were both unclear.

Diana’s instructions had been… vague. She might’ve seen that as empowering, but actually it was just worrying.

Entering the bar, she tried to look older than her years. Like she knew what she was doing. Of course, back home, she’d been meeting Daddy at the bar since she’d been no more than a little girl. He usually went down there with his buddies for one or two cold ones after finishing for the days. Eventually she’d become the designated driver and she didn’t mind, because he worked hard and he did it to put food on the table for them.

Back there she’d fitted it, she’d been greeted as the daughter of a friend and everyone had liked her. Some of those guys had done her solid favours over the years and she’d kind of liked them. Most of them had sons – a fact they’d reminded her of quite often – and they’d taken to her like she was a surrogate daughter. Or some kind of perfect daughter-in-law compared to the floozies their boys were running around with.

Sadly she hadn’t been able to oblige them with dates for their boys, but she knew how to walk into a bar like she owned the place. If she could just remember…

“What can I get you?” the woman behind the bar asked. She sounded bored and Tara had no intention of testing the sign that warned she would be carded.

“Diet coke?”

“Ice and lemon?”

“Sure.”

She did consider asking if the woman had seen anything strange, heard anything that might indicate the people she was here for but… no. This was Sunnydale. Working a bar in Sunnydale was likely to be this whole barrel of strangeness, so strange that strange became routine and boring.

Handing the money over, the woman did manage a pretty genuine seeming smile and Tara turned away, sipping her coke. She hadn’t really wanted it, but it was something to do with her hands, something to help her fit in and a reason for being here. Resting with her back against the rail along the bar she surveyed the scene and pointedly ignored the eyes that ran across her body. They were probably half drunk and she had walked in here as a young, single woman.

Just don’t encourage them.

What she was looking for though… That bearing she’d had, an understanding of where the problem lay had got her here, now she was looking for something else.

Aside from the guys at the bar, none of whom interested her, there were a few other people in here. Three guys watching football, must be a re-run of a game. They didn’t seem to be a problem. Two women, one rocking a tank-top and piercings that were kind of obvious, gazing into each other’s eyes and making not very subtle promises with their hands.

An older – hetero - couple, probably drifted in here after their dinner. They were dressed up better than anyone else, probably married for years too.

And there… She watched as an older guy slipped away from the table that wasn’t far from the bar, obviously heading for the rest room, but it was the guy he was with that attracted her attention.

Yes… he was the one who she’d followed here. How she knew that, she wasn’t quite sure. It was just a sense that she had. Warlock? Momma had never subscribed to the idea that male witches were ‘warlocks’ but it was the commonly accepted term. And, yes, that was what he was.

Now, what to do about it?

He was fumbling in his pocket for something, looking a little the worse for wear and when he got it out it was like a pillbox or something. An ornate, hand carved from the bones of virgin elephants, pill box. Least ways that was how fancy it looked from a few feet away.

No one who came to this kind of bar had that kind of thing on them unless…

Yes, he was a warlock.

Tara had been charged with coming here to find this man and now, while his friend was away, it looked like she was going to have to make a decision. When the guy was examining the beer glasses it seemed to her he intended to…

Walking over she put her hand over the half-full glass, just as he was about to drop the contents of the box into it.

“N-No.”

“I beg your pardon, and then I’ll ask you for your name name because… good evening.” He had a British accent.

“Please d-don’t do that,” she said.

“Don’t do what?” he asked, resting his hand over hers. The pill was curled into one of his fingers, taken from the back of her hand like it had never been there.

“Don’t give that to your friend.”

“Now, young lady, if you thought he was my friend why would you suppose I was going to give him anything bad? Might it not be the best thing for him? Medicinal?”

He was certainly English, that much was clear. Willow had told her about her older, English friend. But this guy didn’t look like he’d worn tweed in his life. He was like the anti-tweed in that shirt.

“I doubt it,” Tara said, withdrawing her hand as he pulled his – and the pill – back.

“You have the gift then,” he said.

Then she realised, there’d been nothing when they touched hands that way. No connection of power like she’d had with Willow and before that with her Mom. He… didn’t have that sort of power? Had she made a mistake? The conversation said ‘no.’ Unless his skills lay in other directions.

She said nothing, not wanting to give too much away. Here on the request of – and with whatever authority came with that – a Goddess, she tended to think that she had to be firm. Firmer than she usually felt she could be. “Where is he?”

“A little under the weather, I doubt that he’s drunk so much as this in a while. None of us are young as we used to be,” the man said. “Though they do say you’re only as young as the person you’re feeling and on that happy note, Ethan Rayne… troublemaker extraordinaire.”

She ignored his offered hand, it still held the pill and she had no idea what that was going to do. Only that it was laced with power, lots of it, and it seemed to be very specific in purpose as well as stable. It didn’t look like it’d blow up or eat someone from the inside out, but the sense of it when it had rested on her skin was that it was… trouble.

He’d just admitted as much. Troublemaker, huh?

More power in the pill than him?

“No name?” he asked. “I’m hurt.”

“Tara,” she said. “I’m Tara. What will your friend do when he finds out what you were going to do?”

“I’ll answer your question if you answer mine?”

She nodded, stiffly though. Authority of the Goddess or not, there was little she could do – or at least wanted to do – to impose her will on him. That wasn’t how things were supposed to work. To embrace that side of the magic was the very opposite of everything she’d been taught.

It wasn’t boiled down to the simplicity of Star Wars movies, but fundamentally there were good uses of power and there were things that didn’t matter because they didn’t hurt or affect anyone. The uses flittered around between the categories because it came down to both intent and to consequences.

But then there was the bad, and forcing him to her will - if she’d known how to do that - would’ve certainly been bad. Even if he was a troublemaker.

“Probably he’ll punch me, kick me in the unmentionables and generally sigh, fuss and tell me I haven’t changed a bit.”

“B-but you don’t seem very worried about that.”

“It’s by far the least of my worries right now. My turn?”

She nodded again. Perhaps he was going to ask her who she was? Who’d sent her? What did she know? What could she do or what would she do if he fought her? All questions that were difficult to answer.

Her task made it even more difficult…

She was supposed to take him back with her. Willingly, she hoped. But Diana wanted to see whoever she tracked down - him.

“What do you know about what’s happening here in Sunnydale?” He sipped at his own beer.

“What do you mean?”

“Oh, if I mentioned young men from the government running around and kidnapping vampires, werewolves and other beasties. Demons of every persuasion… all of which are now housed down in the cells – or buried - beneath our very feet, Tara. What would you know about that?”

Something about the way he asked the question suggested that maybe he knew about her. Of course, it wasn’t impossible that he could sense something. Maybe he was carrying some kind of demon detector. Anyone who could put power into pharmacology – not an easy thing at all – would be equally capable of crafting a stone that might glow in the presence of a demon.

Even one that was hidden within her.

Especially one that was hidden within her.

So he couldn’t wield magic freehand, that didn’t mean he wasn’t dangerous or capable. It was just a different kind of magic. Less predictable, in a way, because nearly anyone could learn transmogrification – for example – out of a book. It didn’t matter whether you could pull a rabbit out of a hat.

“We’re aware of it,” she said quietly wondering if his ‘friend’ was okay since he still hadn’t come back yet. Perhaps he was worshipping the porcelain god?

“We? I think I know what my next question will be, but perhaps you should elaborate.”

“I - We know they exist,” she said. “They’re Army, or they were. Definitely Government anyway - ”

She broke off as an unsteady, somewhat inebriated, presence hung at her shoulder.

“Who’s this?” Another English voice.

“Piss off, Ripper, there’s a good chap. This young lady just saved you from some inconvenience. Your old mate Ethan living up to your low expectations.”

“Huh?”

“Go home, old man. No need for you to become a demon tonight… you’ve been superseded in your usefulness. And… she’s prettier than you too.”

Tara looked up at the other man, his understanding lagging far behind the words. “Who’s prettier?”

“She is. Excuse me, one moment.”

Tara watched as he led his friend to the bar, left him on a stool and handed over some money, presumably for a cab… The second Englishman, ‘Ripper’, put his head on his arms and not much longer after that he was snoring.

“Sorry about that. I hope you haven’t spiked my drink while I was gone, so you could have your wicked way with me?”

Tara shook her head. No and a hundred times no.

“If you had it would have been very, very wicked. Have you ever heard of a Fyaral Demon?”

She nodded, she’d read a few things. “Fyaral in a pill,” he said, holding up the box and shaking it. “Nice work, if I say so myself. They appeal to my nature if not to my manhood. You’re much prettier.”

“Please stop,” Tara said softly.

“Yet another person who doesn’t appreciate a vintage,” he said. “Whose turn is it? Oh, you were telling me what you knew.”

“We know where they’re based, about the captures but not what they’re doing?” This was the only reason she was telling him anything at all. Quid pro quo. He might well be able to fill in the gaps that Diana’s source hadn’t been able to.

“Hmm,” he said. “Well, you and your unrevealed friends – friend – friend, yes good. You and your friend are right about where I was a few weeks ago when it comes to ignorance, but you must’ve noticed, young lady, the whisperings emerging from the dark places?”

“I don’t listen to wh-whispers,” Tara said.

“I suppose you were too well brought up for that, probably by a witch,” Ethan sighed. It wasn’t a question, but she nodded all the same. “Oh, well, I suppose we’ll just have to make do. You want to know why I’m trying to turn my old friend Ripper into a Fyaral? First of all because they’re singularly uncommunicative, unable to control their tempers and generally good for causing no end of chaos,” he said.

“And?”

“And because the man needs to get some perspective. Twenty years of goody-two-shoeing his way around the world, waiting for his moment in the sun with a Slayer has warped the fellow’s sense of values. Once upon a time he was more than happy to consort with the other denizens of this world and he’d know more now if he’d never lost the knack.”

He worked with the Slayer? Buffy’s roommate? One more connection between her and Willow then. He was Willow’s friend too, she’d talked about him.

Mister Giles. AKA Ripper. Mister Tweed.

Tara looked over at the loudly snoring man whom she appeared to have saved from a fate… well, a fate she was sure to one day share. What would that little crumb of karma gain her? Or was she already paying for having Willow in her life? If so…probably it was going to be worth it.

“Nothing to say?”

“I – I - ”

“Go on, have at it. Ripper was going to kick me in the crown jewels, he still might when he sobers up, and I doubt much that you can say will set me back too much.”

“I think you were being needlessly cruel, wasn’t he listening to you anyway?”

“Only because he’s feeling maudlin, like an old man amongst infants. A babysitter for a child who’s grown up and no longer needs him… If it weren’t for that I’d probably just have been punched in the nose and we’d have left it there. But none of that matters now.”

“Why?”

“Because I’ve got someone else’s attention, haven’t I? You were sent, weren’t you?”

“Yes…”

“At last. You know, you can’t have any idea just how long I’ve worked for this. The devotion I’ve shown, the… all of it. And now… finally.”

“What do you think – who do you think?”

“Only one person sends a witch.”

“Who?”

“A Goddess,” he breathed.

And she couldn’t deny it.

“You worship her?” That was something that she’d never done and Diana hadn’t asked it of her either. Nor anyone else at the Wicca Group. Even before the woman had walked into their lives, they hadn’t ‘worshipped’ her or had faith in her. The Goddess had been more of a concept and – despite being personalised – remained so in a very real way.

A concept that was venerated but not slavishly worshipped. She had plenty of questions, plenty of concerns but… Diana hadn’t done anything that she could argue with. Not if you believed that there was evil in the world and at least some of it was perpetrated by demons, vampires and the like…

Warlocks too, perhaps.

Diana had only helped, and not asked for anything in return. Not money or worship or sacrifices. Was that not a concept that was worth venerating? Do good for its own sake? She wasn’t being naïve, but she wasn’t looking this gift horse in the mouth either.

The fact that Ethan Rayne, a man she already regarded as slimy, was devoted to her too… That surprised her. To say the least.

“And I’ve sought to prove myself many times over,” he added.

“Are we talking about the same Goddess?” she asked.

“Why, do you know of any others?” he asked. “At least walking around here? You see, young lady, in truth the pantheon is rarely as simple as calling on God for those in their churches.

“The old Gods are about concepts and dedication, not worship. I dedicate my little triumphs to Janus, the gatekeeper, the two faced God who looks both forward and back. Through him – because it was believed Diana and Janus were one and the same - my dedications are conducted to my desired God and there are few more worthy than Diana…”

Tara supposed that Diana couldn’t legislate for who looked to her – unless she could – but this put a spin on things that was… less welcome. After all this man had palpably been about to do a bad thing, a very bad thing, in her name?

And she hadn’t told him who she was here in service of…

“I-I don’t believe you.”

“Of course you don’t,” he said. “You’ve met me under… unfortunate circumstances. But if we’d just met here in this bar… No, I wouldn’t have been taking you home would I?”

She shook her head, knowing full well that even if she’d been a raging straight, there’d be no way that this man was taking her anywhere. No taking… at all.

“That’s the thing I hear about Diana, she surrounds herself with women who enjoy each other’s company. Is that true?”

“I wouldn’t say… surrounded.”

“Don’t worry, my dear. I’m very equal opportunities. I really don’t care who anyone except the person on top of me in bed is. Everything else is… in her service and you’ve come to bring me to her… haven’t you?”

She couldn’t deny it. “What about him?” she said, looking over at what she now realised was Willow’s friend. Through her girlfriend – at least - she felt some kind of responsibility for him.

“Don’t worry, he’s always been a happy drunk and a very sore-headed hangover victim. Bears spring to mind but, thanks to you, at least he’ll wake up human.”

“You d-don’t seem to care,” Tara pointed out.

“That I didn’t get to go through with my nefarious, dastardly and chaotic plan? My dear girl, why would I need to? I’ve already got the attention of Artemis, Goddess of the Hunt.”

Chance in *Chance*

Post subject: Re: Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda - CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE - 11/30/12
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:16 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Oh, Ethan, I really hope you're in for the unpleasant surprise you've been begging for for years.

I dig Tara's chemistry (is that the word I want?) with the dogs. Intelligent hounds would be quite an assent to a group of monster fighters, Scooby-Doo for Grownups," except we know these dogs belong to someone whose toes no sensible person wants to step on.

Sue: We don't talk about things like that right after, you know that, no saying those things in The Moment.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:47 pm 
9. Gay Now

This just gets better and better-er!

I forget that this is supposed to follow the season arc, it just seems like it's own story.
Um, which is a good thing.

which is why it caught me by surprise, when the Tara-story crossed with the season arc. :bow

I like Ethan as an antagonist, because he's hard to predict and interesting.
it's not like he's random, he always works to a plan.
It's just that his goals are not yours.
or even understandable by most folks.

and i always assumed that if anyone was going to be... 'equal opportunity' it was him.

So, while the characters are well written, and as far as i can tell, true to form,
and i like where the girl's relationship is headed,
and the pace too :)

What really makes this stand out for me, is where the STORY is headed.
i like that i don't have a clue what Artemis is up to.
or what her plans for Tara really are.
Or why she's interested in Tara specifically.

It's awesome!

Eagerly anticipating more! :bounce

R :flower

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:18 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Daddycatalso - Bearing in mind I've already kicked someone in the nuts... must be something else if he's in for something :)

It reminds me, you saying about the hounds, that I need to consider the impact on (the eventual) Miss Kitty!! How will she deal with them :)

Thanks.

Azirahael - Your feedback looks more like a poem on screen!

The tie to canon in Season 4 is a bit looser than it will be in Season 5, for obvious reasons when you think about what happens in S5. So I am VERY aware of the ties, I had to work to put them in but try to pull back far enough it's not just a retelling...

Ethan is - he would say - chaotic! But you're pretty much right about him. He causes chaos rather than works without a plan to get to it! And I love writing him, because he's just fun to have around even if you don't use him that much. The more outspoken a character is the more fun they are to write (for me at least)

I'm glad I have your seal of approval. Now I just have to try and ensure that we stay interesting enough to hold that approval! We will still be shadowing canon though :)

Next part should be tomorrow all being well. I'm having too much fun with redrafting the opening of S5 to do the final prep on it :)

Thanks,
Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

Post subject: Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda - CHAPTER THIRTY - 12/03/12
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:43 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Title: Tara and Willow – Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda – Chapter Thirty
Summary: The final part set during ‘A New Man’. Last time we were with Tara and Ethan so this time I must owe you Willow and Tara.
Notes: So, you see now what can happen – or doesn’t. Something changed and the ripples lead us to… Giles not being a demon. Funny as that would’ve been – it was in the show – I’m not just about retelling the show episode by episode. Or just filling in the gaps. Things will follow the broad brush strokes but be just a little different. Also, this brought Tara into it more than Giles being a demon ever could.
Thanks to: The girl in the gym who was definitely checking me out this morning. It’s been a while and I’m taken, but it’s still nice to be checked! At least by the right 50% of the population.
Musical credits: Yes, unusual to do thanks and musical credits, but the thanks drove me to it. Given what I’m listening to in final prep of this part, I’d like to musically shout out to the music from Battlestar Galactica (I’m old enough I have to say ‘the new version’) which I was turned onto by a dear friend… Funny how I went from the music to the show rather than the other way around. Anyway, great to write to – it has everything for every mood and scene type. And somehow you can write anything to those big Japanese drums…

“Gosh darn it!”

The exclamation was one of emphasis, not volume. Actually she was kind of talking under her breath.

Willow turned and leaned against the doorframe. No answer from Tara’s room. She’d come right over her – okay, not right over here, but pretty much right over here when she’d left the party with Buffy and Eddie looking like they might make it to a kiss.

Buffy would’ve been more convincing in saying it’d never happen if she’d actually been able to not hang around Eddie for the rest of the night.

Despite all of her roommates denials. It could just happen and much as she wanted to know, it was less likely if the rest of them were stood there gawping. Besides, thinking of Buffy’s smoochies she’d been reminded that she’d told Tara she might make it over because…

Smoochies.

And here she was. Armed appropriately too. She had… accessories. But no Tara…

“She went out earlier,” a now familiar voice said. “Guess she didn’t make back yet.”

“Oh, hi Annie.”

Annie didn’t seem content with just giving her that unwelcome news except it wasn’t news that was exactly unwelcome was it? Not really.

Tara had found something to do with her night after she’d refused to let her come along to Buffy’s birthday. An opportunity when she could’ve met everyone without being the centre of attention. And maybe they could’ve kissed and then everyone would’ve known and that would’ve been just great and – and – and –

Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda. It messed with your head.

“Hey. Did she know you were coming round?”

“I just said I might make it.”

“And now you look like a girl who has regrets?” Annie asked.

Was it that obvious? Annie had a tendency – Tara said – for spotting things and saying them. You might’ve thought she came from a different culture where that was more acceptable or something, but actually she came from San Francisco. Not exactly foreign parts.

“I do… I mean, I do?”

“Don’t worry,” the other girl said. “She wasn’t mad at you.”

“What for? Why would she be mad at me?” She didn’t want Tara to be mad at her, she didn’t want Tara’s friends to think Tara should’ve been mad at her? Did Tara even get mad? And if she did what did that look like?

Maybe Tara didn’t get mad. Maybe Tara just got even

Beneath that mild mannered exterior…

Or maybe Tara was just as sweet as she looked, felt and tasted… Maybe she had the patience of a saint to go with the body of a Goddess? And that might be an unfortunate turn of thought hereabouts. How were they supposed to just be together if that Goddess kept coming between them? Even if just in her thoughts.

She wanted to label Tara a Goddess and here was a real one just to mess that up? How was that fair? Couldn’t this Goddess have held off? Visited some other town?

No one should be coming between them.

But there should definitely be coming. Soon… maybe. No pressure… just lots and lots of bubbling desire – which required heat and wetness when you thought about it - and that was really something she didn’t want to be showing around someone as obviously adept at reading faces, expressions and body language as Annie.

What was she? A psych major?

“You left her here when you went… Where have you been?” Annie was looking her over, in her party outfit no less. Yes… she’d been a bad, bad girl and she wouldn’t even object if it turned out Tara wanted to spank her. A little weird, but for the sake of harmony she was very ready to branch out in her sexuality.

Very ready indeed. It was tough to think of a prolonged period in her life when she’d been any more ready. Or how she could’ve been.

“A friend’s birthday party, it was no big thing. There wasn’t even any beer.”

“Well, Willow, don’t worry about it. You know Tara.”

At least as well as you, probably better. I know her boobs too. And you don’t. Ha Ha! I win!

“Yeah, I do, I know Tara.”

“She really didn’t mind and she won’t mind… It’s cool, she’ll appreciate the fact you came around and be sorry she missed you. Knowing how she’s got a glow the mornings after you’ve been here, she’ll probably be very sorry. Did you want to leave that?”

“What?”

“The package? Is it a gift?”

“Umm… Accessories,” Willow said, wondering why she didn’t just say ‘Yes’?

In what world was ‘accessories’ a better answer in this circumstance?

“Ohhh.”

“Ohhh? What do you mean, ohhh?”

“Accessories,” Annie said, winking at her.

“Yeah…?”

“Accessories, well… sometimes – I understand – some girls who are… together, like to have… accessories.”

“Ohh. Ohhhh. Oh! No. No… Not those kind of accessories,” Willow feigned innocence of the same thoughts and then assured her. “Not that – no, I’m not going there. If Tara wants to talk to me about that then… very good, but with all due respect, I’m not talking about that to you either.”

Except she was.

Annie grinned. “Thank goodness for that. It’s not something I want to know. But there is something I want to make sure of and I’ve never had chance to ask you.”

Willow raised her eyebrows, inviting the question. Nervous about the question, but still inviting it.

“You’re not going to hurt her are you?”

“Hurt her?! No! Why would you think that - ”

Annie held up a hand, stalling her protests. “It’s nothing about you, I just want to protect her. If you’re not as into this as she is then… either back off or at least take your time until you know you feel the same way she does.”

“Oh, we’re taking our time. We’re big on the taking of time and… yeah.”

“Didn’t I see you sneaking around in a shirt the other morning?”

Willow, embarrassed, didn’t try to deny it because actually it was making her point for her. “Yes, but the taking of time is the only ‘taking’ that is going on. If you know what I mean. With or without accessories. We’re not even taking liberties.”

Okay, so why did I tell her that?

“Ohh, you mean you want her to go faster?”

“I didn’t know that I did,” Willow said in a very small voice. “But it turns out I’m definitely open to faster…”

“So that’s why you’re here?”

“Not exactly… I came to…”

“You came to be with her,” Annie said, smiling and letting her off the hook when it would’ve been so easy to leave her hanging there.

“Yeah… and, well, I came so we could do something together. Something we’d been promising ourselves - ”

“Hey, Annie,” Tara said, stepping out from the top stairwell door and taking in the sight of the two of them. “Willow!?”

No prizes for what we’re chatting about. Or who. But she still sounds pleased to see me. Girl. Boy. There’s no difference about that, you want them to sound like that when they see you. Happy. Excited. Fortunate.

“Well, I’ll leave you two kids alone,” Annie said, then grinned at her. “Good luck.”

“What was all that about?” Tara asked.

“I think… I think she thinks I brought… accessories,” Willow said. Annie didn’t quite seem to have bought into her denials. After all, who wouldn’t deny it in the interests of keeping her private life, well, private.

“Accessories?”

“You know… accessories. The sort you get by mail order or in… special stores.”

“Oh…” Tara exclaimed, getting the picture loud and clear. “Did you?”

“No!”

Does she wish I had?

“Well, that’s okay then,” Tara leaned in and kissed her, right on the lips and taking Willow by surprise at the force and the boldness of it. Usually Tara would hesitate and they’d get to almost rubbing noses before finally their lips would meet... “Are you coming in?”

“After you kiss me like that? Yes, I’m coming in… Again with the ‘wowsers’.”

Tara’s smile was one of those simple, beautiful pleasures. Sunrises. Birdsong. Waves breaking on a beach. Tara’s smile. It was truly right up there with the best of things.

“C-come in then.”

“So, where’ve you been?” She didn’t want it to sound like she was checking up – not after brushing this girl off earlier – but she also didn’t want to come off as disinterested either. She was looking to be middle ground girl.

“Actually, I wanted to talk to you about that…” Tara said, suddenly more serious.

“Oh?”

“Yeah… see, I think I may have – accidentally – saved your friend, the English one, Mister - ”

“Mister nothing, just call him Giles. He likes it. They do that to them in school over there, and they throw chalk too. I’m waiting for the day every classroom is all computers to see if they throw one of those.” It was only as she finished speaking that she started to realise what Tara had actually said. ‘Saved’?

“Yeah, right, umm – well, I think I kind of stopped him being turned into a demon.”

Willow blinked. “You did what now?”

“I think I stopped him being turned into a Fyaral demon?” Tara said, almost sounding apologetic about it. Willow couldn’t quite see how that was a bad thing.

“Did he want to be?” she asked, all confused by the hesitancy.

“No, I mean, he was drunk but I don’t think he did.”

“Drunk? Giles? No. That doesn’t happen. I think you might have the wrong guy.”

“Tweed? English? Glasses? Drinking with another man called Ethan - ”

“Rayne. That’d be him. Ethan’s here again? We have to – I have to - ”

Tara’s hand covered hers. “Don’t worry, I took him to Diana.”

“Why would you do that?” Willow asked. Unless it was to be torn apart by big dogs. That was messy, but a programme that she could get behind.

“Because she asked me to, why wouldn’t I?”

“Umm, because the man worships chaos and more than that, he likes to cause trouble. Two years ago he turned me into a ghost at Halloween. A real, insubstantial, ghost. In an… let’s call it an unfortunate costume.”

And the costume had almost been the worst part. Back then she hadn’t had a need to touch anyone much… Not like now. Holding Tara’s hand, which was enough to send a complex thrill through her. Complex because it went… everywhere. Heart. Soul. Other, intimate, places.

But she wanted Tara to know that though she was worried about Ethan being here, she also trusted in her. If Tara said he was with Diana and the Goddess of the Hunt had asked for him then…

“So she sent you to get him?”

“Yes.”

“What if he’d tried something?” Willow said. “You could’ve been hurt or turned into something. He’s good at that trans – transmogthingy.”

“Transmogrification,” Tara said perfectly.

“Yeah, that. Look, made me a ghost. He made Buffy into some helpless damsel, Xander into an army guy and now he almost turned Giles into a Fyaral demon – wait, why was he doing that? Oh yes, I remember, chaos.”

“Actually, I think he was trying to make a point,” Tara said.

“What point?”

“The army guys – the ones on campus?” Tara said. “He said they were doing things that were going to cause serious problems, a big fight between our world and the world on the other side…”

Willow considered that and while the argument was sound, the consequence wasn’t. “So he thought he’d turn Giles into a – what, Fyaral demon?”

“They don’t communicate well with others,” Tara said, shrugging. “I didn’t say I agreed with him, I’m just guessing what he meant from what he said.”

“Noted,” Willow said, apologetically. None of this was really Tara’s fault. Giles had been in trouble and now he wasn’t. Chalk up another one for Miss Maclay.

Miss Sexy Maclay.

“Once he was changed, I guess he’d have to seek out his ‘own kind’ and then he’d get to hear about it. He’d understand what Ethan was trying to show him?”

Willow wasn’t really up for that as an explanation. “Doesn’t sound like the Ethan Rayne I know. More likely he thought Giles would do lots of damage, cause lots of panic.”

“Could be,” Tara said with a shrug. “Or both. But… your friend, he’s okay and Ethan is with Diana and she won’t let him do anything.”

“Are we sure about that?” Willow asked.

Tara didn’t look all that certain, but then what could they do? Challenge a Goddess about it? “So… what brought you here? What’s in the bag? You know, if it’s not ‘accessories.’”

“I… I thought, maybe, well we’ve been talking about it a lot and we always find some sort of reason not to - ”

“It’s okay,” Tara promised. “You can just tell me.”

Okay, that was easier. No explanations. “I thought maybe we could do a spell?”

“Really?”

“For real and for serious… but, you know, we can still make out later.”

Tara’s grin was just as infectious as her smile. “R-really?”

“Well, I thought that we’ve been on a few dates now and we’ve gotten kind of close, teased each other and taken it right to the edge, but it’s time to take our relationship to the next level. It’s time for us to… to do a spell. Together.”

“Okay, okay… I just didn’t want to seem easy,” Tara said. “It’s a big step, doing a spell. I wouldn’t have left you hanging forever.”

“I know and I don’t want to rush you, I want you to be really comfortable when we go there, but I just couldn’t wait anymore and – who cares if we’re spell sluts?”

“What did you bring?” Tara asked, looking at the bag.

“Two things,” Willow said, reaching into it. “The first is… well, the first is for the spell. It’s a rose.” She pulled the plastic protective container from the bag. “There’s this really cool spell. It needs us to be in perfect synchronicity. We levitate the rose between us, hold it there, gently turning it over if we can. Then – again very gently – we pluck the petals from it. One by one and if we can support them too… that’d mean we were absolutely in synch.”

“Wow…”

“I know, isn’t it great? And… with those meditations Diana’s had us doing, I think we can do this. I really do. I think we can take it all the way, do all of those things. We’re good enough, together.”

“Do you think? I mean… it’s our first time.”

“I think. I do think. More than that, I’m so confident that I’ve got something for you too.” She pulled another rose from the bag, but this one she removed from the container. “I don’t know if you think this is romantic or not but it’s supposed to be and this one… I don’t want to pluck.”

Tara took the rose from her, breathed in its scent and Willow had to admit that her eyes were drawn downwards for a second to Tara’s expanding chest, before upwards to eyes that were closed in what looked like bliss.

“It is romantic,” Tara said. “It’s the first time anyone’s given me flowers…”

“Or a flower anyway?”

“Any flowers. And there are two,” Tara said. “We just have plans for one of them. This one… This one I’m putting in water, right now.”

Willow sat and watched, enjoying just looking at this girl who’d been obviously overjoyed by her gift. Some people might’ve thought Tara was easy to please, but she didn’t think that at all. More like… she was the right person to please Tara. Selfish, maybe, but… It’s all about me.

“So… this spell?” Tara asked as they sat down opposite each other. “I’ve… never done it before. Will you show me how?”

“Okay, now you’re just teasing me,” Willow said.

“I haven’t!”

“Look, I know how it sounded, what I said. But I meant every word. Okay, I may have thought about it for a long time and tried it out on myself a few times until I got it just right but… I want to do this with you. I do.”

“While we’re not doing… the other thing?”

“No – I mean – Yes, but no. I mean… why are you making this complicated? I just want to pluck the petals off a rose.”

“That’s not all you want to do,” Tara said quietly. “It’s not all I want to do either.”

Willow grinned, certain that they weren’t talking about now but…

“You do know,” Tara asked, “just how dirty you made it sound?”

“Moi?”

“Yes, you. Pluck the petals off a rose? And then that whole accessory thing…”

Okay… she’d been trying to make it into a metaphor, that was true. Trying to parallel their burgeoning, promised and much anticipated coming together – physically – in the spell. But she hadn’t actually considered the intricacies of the words involved. “I’m a dirty, dirty girl,” she sighed.

“Yes, you are.”

“I didn’t mean to be… it just…” Maybe it had been on her mind because, yeah, coming here… desire for Tara was pretty much most of what was on her mind. Rational thought came later, in her arms. Still was the case, even though they had something else to do and that whole Ethan thing was out there as well.

Tara bent over and kissed her, full on the lips again. Long. Lingering. Tongue. Lips. Saliva. Passion. “Ohh.”

“One day…” Tara said.

“One day soon?”

“One day soon.”

Just checking.

But… Wait… did she mean? Plucking the petals off a rose? Wow… Not how they’d want to start, she guessed, but it was good to have ambitions… if that was what Tara meant. And she wasn’t taking that for granted. It’d need some careful questioning… but later.

“Tara?”

“Yes.”

“About… well, accessories. You know, if you did want them then I’m open… so to speak, to them. Just open. Not like asking or anything like that. Open… that sounds really dirty but…”

“Shhhh. When we’re ready,” Tara said, “do you think I’ll want anything but you?”

Oh yes, she was open for that too.

“The thing is… it’s fourteen days for delivery.”

So there were practicalities involved. Romance took planning, just like anything else.

Chance in *Chance*

Post subject: Re: Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda - CHAPTER THIRTY - 12/03/12
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:49 pm 
5. Willowhand

Oh man, these two ladies.
I'm glad that you're not doing events exactly as occurred in cannon. Things are different here so it makes things more interesting for me as a reader. I don't know what will happen. Gasp!
Annie has popped up again, yay. I loved that she's looking out for Tara. I feel like had the reasonship been like it was in cannon that conversion would have made things move forward qucker for the girls and help Willow when Oz came back.
Accessories, geesh! Yay for a rose for Tara to keep intact.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:58 pm 
9. Gay Now

Quote:
“The thing is… it’s fourteen days for delivery.”

frikkin' hilarious!

Laughed my damn ass off!

I cannot wait for more of the mystery to be revealed. :bounce

Go Tara, it's your birthday...

R :flower

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:46 pm 

Okay....the fact that Willow is in the know on shipping and handling times for accessories is AWESOME and funny as shit.

Sorry I have been lacking in my feed back. It's finals week and Chemistry is kicking my arse!!!

I'm still reading and still loving what you are doing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:56 am 
23. Volumey Text

Missocki - I'm pleased that you're feeling the suspense even though it's going in the same direction. It's kind of like the iPhone before and after Apple took off Google Maps and put their own on. You're going to kind of the same place but in very different routes!

I have to say that I enjoy Annie, but we've still not got our full cast in play yet. There's two more additions to come...

You hit the nail on the head about Oz coming back. I want to do NMR kind of like it was. This is my problem. I can't make Tara and Willow SO tight now that NMR wouldn't play at all. On the other hand, I don't want NMR to be about Willow doubting what she should already know. So I am going for the balancing act and that means... no home runs as one part of that.

Accessories will make another appearance I think...

Thanks!

Azirahael - I've never dared look for fear that I'd get my recommendations tainted by what I looked at, but I bet Amazon could've moved it faster than that!!! Next part coming right up. Thanks!

Heya Grimmy - She's a planner, what can I say!? But I don't know how happy I am that she thinks Tara might want accessories for their first time (though I will be making something of the fact that they're doing plenty already that LOTS of people - once upon a time - thought meant that their first time had come and gone!) Seriously, I've had and seen plenty of debates about what 'counts' for two girls (though usually where someone is trying to justify cheating!)

Good luck with the finals and just drop by to say hi, don't feel you have to say a lot if you say anything :) You can make up for it later when you are closer to being qualified!

Thanks

Next part coming right up... 31 is fluffy T/W fun, but 32 will be full on back into the S4 plot.

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

Last edited by Katharyn on Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda - CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE - 12/06/12
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:58 am 
23. Volumey Text

Title: Tara and Willow – Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda – Chapter Thirty-One
Summary: While I was writing I labelled this as ‘Interlude’. It is set between A New Man and The I in Team, a Tara and Willow missing scene. Short but very important.
Notes: I am curious to see how you will be taking what is happening between the girls, whether Willow’s desire to move forward – physically – and Tara’s apparent reluctance to do so is being read in the same way as I am writing it. Perceptions differ. It’s not like Willow’s addicted to sex and it’s not that Tara is innocent and afraid or anything. They’ve very much agreed what they’re doing, they’ve compromised. Willow’s happy where she is and Tara would be happy if they’d already gone there. This – to me – is just how things are for them.
Thanks to: People who go fast and people who go slowly. Also people who shout only at appropriate times.

“So… happy now?” Willow asked.

Tara smiled, appreciating the view. All of the view.

“This is what you wanted!” Willow reminded her.

“Yes, yes it is.”

“It doesn’t get any more daytime or sunnier than this!” Willow span around, twirling in the breeze with her arms outspread, her hair was a little short to flow, but the dress certainly did.

The breeze caught it and lifted it and… Yeah, Willow looked good in a dress on a windy day. It was a look she could get used to.

And she was being a little more circumspect, carrying both their pairs of shoes as they walked the beach. In her other hand was the bag containing their lunch, a towel to sit on and everything else Willow considered necessary to ‘be prepared’.

She was pretty sure that there was a stake in there because – Willow said – when wasn’t it a good idea to have one? Well, for vampires, on a sunny day at noon? That was probably just dead weight. No pun intended.

Happy the pack mule though, because it meant she got to watch Willow run free and be happy. With her. And… every so often the other woman couldn’t help showing it by darting in to kiss her.

Life was just so hard sometimes.

Papers, worries about army guys, Goddesses and sorcerers were just… banished.

They’d agreed. She felt like a traitor even for ruminating on how they’d put it out of their minds. And they had the beach pretty much to themselves, at least right now. The weather forecast had been against them but they’d had confidence in their own sense of how it would turn out. The TV forecast would’ve kept some people indoors and the rest were probably back down in the public areas, where there was parking and restrooms and ice-cream if you wanted it.

Here…

It was pretty much just them and Willow was… “You’re frolicking,” she called after the red-haired dervish.

“Licking?”

“Frolicking!”

“Oh yeah, you won’t let me lick yet,” Willow teased, coming back and taking her hands, even loaded as they were.

“I wouldn’t put it that way,” Tara said. “We agreed, remember?” She was getting used to Willow’s teasing. Once she’d figured out that Willow never meant anything that could be taken as a criticism then it was easier to play along with whatever she did say.

“We agreed, we did agree. We agreed alright.”

“You want…?”

“I want you,” Willow said, running sandy hands over her face, into her hair and - as they kissed - back down over the sides of her breasts. Just trailing, lightly but without hesitation and with every intention of returning there.

Willow wasn’t hesitant or unsure. In fact Willow was deliciously bold. And she wasn’t worrying where she was leaving sand either.

Good job there was no one around. Not because of the sand but…

It wasn’t that Tara didn’t hold with public displays of affection, she just hadn’t been around them all that much outside of High School when they’d been happening to other people, most of whom had been studiously ignoring her presence.

At best.

The rest were just oblivious to her existence. Silence tended to do that.
Momma and her Dad hadn’t been that demonstrative either – poor choice of words there – and when she’d passed…

It wasn’t like Donny had ever had a date, let alone a girlfriend. At least she’d had the excuse of lack of a dating pool, he’d had nothing like that going for him.

Now she was in college and she did have such a pool… she’d never even needed to jump into it. Willow had been right there, swimming up to her like a mermaid and… mermaids didn’t live in pools. So… no.

And look at her now, in regular conversations with one Goddess and walking on the beach with another. Putting plans into place to find out what was happening at - No, they weren’t bringing all that other stuff here. It was just them.

“I said ‘I want you’,” Willow reminded her, hands on her hips now.

“Was I supposed to say something back, I thought maybe it was complete in itself, your thought?”

“Mmm, maybe, but you could try, ‘I want you too’ or maybe ‘Not as much as I want you.’”

“Oh, sorry. Well, not as much as I want you.”

“I knew it,” Willow grinned.

“Whatever gave me away?” Tara asked.

“I just know you too well. By the way… I love that dress on you too.”

This time it was her turn to smile. “And I really was thinking the same thing. About you, I mean. Your dress. Not mine.”

“Yours is all clingy in just the right place, see – I’ve come to a realisation,” Willow announced.

Funny, she had an idea where this was going. “Oh?”

Willow pulled her back, towards the dry sand up above the tide-line. “Yes. I wanted you to be the first to know.”

“I-I’ll try to be worthy of the privilege – whatever it is.”

“You ready?” Willow asked, smoothing her dress out as they sat next to each other on the towel, facing the ocean and who knew how many hundreds or thousands of miles it’d be before they’d hit land again in that direction.

Tara nodded her agreement.

“I love boobs. I do. There it is.”

She couldn’t help laughing, after all this was hardly news. Willow’s fascination, once they’d started exploring each other had been relatively obvious. She was, unapologetically, a breast-gal.

“Why are you laughing?” Willow challenged her.

“I just think it’s funny that, like, you think I hadn’t figured that out?”

“Well, okay, you might’ve had a few clues along the way, but I’d never said it before. And, actually, I want to revise my statement. I love your boobs.”

“Key difference,” Tara said, fighting off a mock attempt to have a grope.

“Important though. I mean, I’d had an appreciation of my own for some time, who doesn’t? But there’s not much there and… Well, I really do have more fun with yours. I think that’s worth saying, don’t you?”

“And so you did.”

“I’m going to shout it.”

“Don’t be silly,” Tara said. Even though there was no one around, that wasn’t what you did on a public beach. There might even be ordinances or something.

“What’s silly? Shouting about what I like? Nah. Are you ready?”

“Willow, no.”

Willow ignored her, took a deep breath and then, “I LOVE TARA’S BOOBS.”

“Sweet,” Tara said. “That’s very romantic.”

“Disappointed?” Willow said, trailing a finger over her cheek as if wiping away a tear.

“Mortified, more like.”

“I try not to say things like that,” Willow said. “Vampires, zombies, this is Sunnydale, you know.”

“Sorry.”

“No, it’s okay. We’re not talking shop. No school. No friends unless they’re just friends, no Goddesses and no beasties… My bad.”

Tara leaned over and kissed her cheek. “No, no bad.” Stretching out she pulled at her hem a little drawing it higher. Might as well let some flesh see the sun while she had the chance and there was no one around. Also, the wind was threatening to lift it anyway so… why not kill two birds with one light touch.

“I’m looking forward to loving those too,” Willow said. “Not that I’m… you know.”

No, Willow wouldn’t push. Willow couldn’t push. They both wanted the same things, there was nothing particular that they were waiting for except that moment that they’d just know it was perfect. Maybe she ought to be living life to the very fullest but they weren’t thinking about things like that.

Quality over quantity

And then maybe they’d take care of the quantity once they had the quality all in place.

“I know.”

“I want to kiss you now,” Willow said.

“And I want to give you what you want,” Tara agreed happily.

It was like a purr of satisfaction when Willow pushed a finger in between her breasts and pushed her backwards onto the soft, warm sand and then moved to roll over the top of her, swinging one slim leg over to straddle her and then resting there easily.

“This is new,” Tara said, appreciating the feel of Willow’s bare thighs as she ran her hands over them.

“Everything’s new, remember.”

“Makes you sassy.”

“Sassy, maybe… but not sassiest.”

“Sassiest?”

“Yeah.” Willow grabbed the hem of her own dress, lifted it and shook, showing off not only her legs but also her underwear and a fair portion of midriff too. “See, sassiest.”

“Sassier than me,” Tara said, smiling as she smoothed the dress back down and kept going when she was trailing her hands over Willow’s smooth legs again too.

“Perhaps you just need to come out of your shell?”

“I thought I was all soft, no hard bits,” Tara said, only realising what she was saying when Willow started to laugh. “You know what I mean.”

“I know,” Willow said, leaning forwards over her. “But it’s just not true. You have strength Tara. I don’t know how I know because you’ve never, really had to show it to me – not really - but I can feel it all the same. More strength than me, I think. But… more than that…” Willow was kissing her, interspersing her words with kiss after kiss. “There. Are. Parts. Of. You. That. Get. Hard.” Willow’s thumbs brushed across the bodice of her dress, right over her nipples which, obediently, did begin to stir to the occasion. “Like I say, I love your boobs.”

“Kiss me more,” Tara breathed, unable to help herself. The sand going down the back of her dress would keep her grounded in reality. No way was their perfect time going to be on a beach where anyone who happened along could see them and where sand would get everywhere.

“Command. Wish. Is. My. Your.” Again, the words were peppered with kisses. “Make something out of that.”

Instead Tara had one hand on Willow’s butt and another in her hair, both pulled gently and the kisses continued. “Want to come out of your shell?”

“I’m out to everyone,” Tara promised her.

“Shout, like I did.”

“What?”

“Shout. I don’t think you can shout. I never even heard you raise your voice, let alone shout. I think that is one thing you just don’t know how to do.”

“Can too.”

“Don’t believe you. Sorry. Prove it to me. Shout.”

“THIS IS ME, SHOUTING!”

“Rubbish,” Willow said. “Come on, and shout about something.”

“What?”

“Shout… like I did, something about me that you love.”

“I can’t.”

“Sure you can.”

“I can’t.”

“It’s the only way you’ll put any effort into it. Come on, no one will hear you. The wind. The ocean. No one but me will ever know. No one but me. Shout it. Out and proud, Tara. Loud, out and proud. Shout. Shout. Sho- ”

Tara took a deep breath and then did what Willow asked.

“Oh, wow…”

“Louder than you expected” Tara asked, blushing. A nice young lady didn’t shout like that and that was how she’d been raised, at least partly. The other part was self-sufficient and had that strength Willow was probably talking about.

“No… I mean, yes… you said…”

Oh.

“I-I-I didn’t mean to - ”

“Shut up,” Willow said, pushing a finger over her lips. “You’ve shouted and you’ve said it. I didn’t… You did. Now I get to say something. Now I get to say it too. Alright?”

Tara found that she was holding her breath as she listened. And the first it was just as loud as she’d managed. The second time though, it was just a whisper, against her skin, against her ear.

“I love you, Tara. I love you.”

Chance in *Chance*

Post subject: Re: Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda - CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE - 12/06/12
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:49 pm 
5. Willowhand

SQUEEEEEEEEEE!

*Edited to add cohorent comments*
I'm so happy that the I love you moment was so sweet and spontaneous, sigh. :dance
Again, glad for actual progression for the lovely ladies. I'm so excited to see what is coming next. Yay!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:02 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
Oh how awesome and well done. I love the image of them shouting against the wind and sand and waves. And Tara shouting and the reader has to know what she shouted and then Willow shouting and then whispering her love. I also love the casual and passionate waiting. They know they will be together. They know it will happen. And neither is rushing and neither is resisting but it will happen. Very well done.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:43 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Umm, don't you mean "has to guess"? Or maybe that's just my lack of sophisitcation showing, \\\\

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1085 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 37  Next