The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1085 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda - CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE - 12/06/12
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:20 pm 
9. Gay Now

Topics: 15
I loved it!

And flirty flighty Willow was wonderful!
um, i think i'll stop with the alliteration now.

Just two girls, on a beach, talking, loving and exploring their relationship.
how wonderful.

I look forward to more. :bounce

R

My Story: Coming Home

Post subject: Re: Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda - CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE - 12/06/12
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:51 am 
23. Volumey Text

Topics: 5
Missocki - I did see the squeee and wondered if a small animal, possibly furry, was in distress :)

Glad you got a little more coherent later :)

It was a nice moment for the girls, which is why I wrote it that way obviously, but you know what sucks? I can't remember well enough what I wrote after to know whether I've jumped a gun there given what will happen in New Moon Rising... It's a little different to canon though. But whether I did or not, they needed that moment so I am happy with it.

Next progression, I believe, is plot rather than personal.

And it will be up in a few minutes :)

Thanks,

Justskipit - Thanks you very much! I spend enough time on the beach (when I can) that I know how noisy it is even when you're alone! You'd have to shout, but there's a whisper in there too which I liked... Gets them close and intimate at the end.

'Casual and persistent waiting' is a great phrase! And you're exactly right, they do know that. So really it's being stacked up against the rest of their lives... As I've said many times, I love Sassette's version, 'in the laundry room' but... I'm enjoying this far more as an exercise in writing, even if I can't quite believe Willow is patient enough (nor Tara determined enough to say 'no' when that patience runs out!)

Thanks

Daddycatalso - Umm, sorry, I don't get the reference... But thanks for stopping by!

Azirahael - So pleased you liked it. Alliterate all you like, really... But you make a nice point that gets to the core of fanfic (at least for me) I can stop and enjoy a scene like that instead of having to relentlessly push a 'dramatic plot' as in a TV show. It's really what missing scene fics are all about. These things have to have happened... just we didn't get to see them.

As for more... coming right up.

Thanks all,

Katharyn

PS: - Oh, someone mentioned a desire to see the Tara/Rosenberg's meeting. I was musing on that and inspired to start writing a 'bonus part which will go up pretty much as soon as it's ready as it's not integrated into the rest of the story except these are the characters. I felt like doing some writing rather than redrafting so I hope to have that up inside a week.

PPS: - Ooooh, post 3000...

K

Chance in *Chance*
-------------------------

Post subject: Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda - CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO - 12/09/12
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:54 am 
23. Volumey Text

Title: Tara and Willow – Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda – Chapter Thirty-Two
Author: Katharyn Rosser
Feedback: Absolutely, yes please. That’s why I write for this place, to engage in the discussion about the story.
Spoiler warning: Not sure why I am bothering, really, but Season 4 and Season 5 of BTVS.
Distribution: This story was written for Pens. Pens is its home. No archiving off Different Coloured Pens and the Kitten Board please. No conversion to eBook or other formats please. Enjoy it here.
Summary: Tara and Willow love it when a plan comes together.
Disclaimer: I don’t own any of the copyrights or anything else associated with BTVS. All rights lie with the production company, writers etc. I am making no money from this series of stories however all original characters and situations remain my property. As this is a missing scenes and alternate reality fiction lots of scenes are new versions of those seen in the show, as such dialogue and situations are taken from the show. I’m sure you can tell which. All credit for those aspects goes to the original writers.
Rating: Occasional, tasteful, adult situations and contextual bad language. However by and large equivalent to the show.
Couples: Tara and Willow forever, that’s all I’m bothered about.
Text convention: Use of italics denotes either special emphasis if used for a single or a few words in a sentence OR first person thoughts if used for a whole sentence.
Notes: Yup, after a lot of time spent with the girls – and only occasional forays into the plot of the season (or my version of it) then this takes us back into what’s happening outside the bedroom or the beach. Also, as long term readers may know, I quite like writing Ethan. So this was a pleasure to have an episode where I knew he was around (after A New Man) and could make use of him to do what he said he was actually there for, to find out about the Initiative. Somehow things just work out.
Also, after eventually making Tara and Willow very much into ‘Mary Sue’s’ in Sidestep as their power kept growing over time, this shows this version of the girls have a different way of getting things done.
Thanks to: Sweden. And why not? They’re making movies that everyone wants to copy these days (and I don’t even mean TGWTDT) Kiss Myg anyone? (That was the name of a film, not an invitation!)

“I’m not at all certain that this is the best way to proceed,” Ethan said.

“Well, I can’t think of anything better,” Willow replied testily. “Can you?”

“Usually my creative talents go in other directions,” he pointed out to her. “What are you doing here anyway?”

“Representing concerned citizens,” Willow told him, looking up from where she was working at her laptop. Tara was right beside her and that was fine. Stick close, baby.

“So does Ripper actually know you’re here?”

“Not, actually. Yet,” Willow said.

Tara had told her what Diana had planned and once she knew Ethan was involved then she’d kind of insisted on coming along. Since the Goddess hadn’t actually forbidden it – and no one was quite sure what would happen if she ever did forbid something – then Tara was entirely open to her presence.

Better than that, in fact Tara seemed pretty happy about it. And as a newly minted ‘girlfriend’, she liked to think that was as much about Tara enjoying her being around as any form additional security it might offer.

Ethan was, after all, not the type to beat up anyone. In fact she was pretty sure she could’ve taken him in a fist fight. But he was sneaky, creative and utterly dedicated to…

Well, he was claiming he was utterly dedicated to Diana, of which his God – Janus – was simply a chaotic aspect. And that was a little weird, even considering that maybe he was more trustworthy now because he’d all but got what he wanted.

To be noticed by god.

Even if that God(dess) was a different gender to the one you thought you were worshipping. Except gender didn’t seem to matter to Gods.

“Weren’t you with Dog-Boy last time we met?”

“Weren’t you getting your butt kicked?” Willow countered, not wanting to go there in front of Tara. Not exactly because she was ashamed of her previous relationship, Tara knew all about Oz, of course. No, it was because it was none of his damned business anyway. And that was reason enough.

“Fair do’s.”

“And you wouldn’t want to argue with a Goddess would you?” Willow asked. Then she felt the hand on her arm, restraining her. Ethan didn’t miss it either, giving it a significant look. Damn his powers of observation.

And why, of everyone, was Ethan Rayne the first person who knew her from that other side of her life that wasn’t Tara to know about… well, Tara? Of all people… That was so bizarre it was positively… wrong.

Contradiction in terms but… hey, that was how strange it was. It should’ve been Buffy, her best friend and her roommate. Or maybe Xander, her oldest friend. Even Giles, rubbing his glasses as she told him this stuff.

But no… It was Ethan Rayne. Just how every girl wanted to out herself and introduce her girlfriend around.

“Show him,” Tara said.

Willow realised what she was being asked. The irony of it. The weirder and the more things changed, the more they stayed the same. “You’ve made me into the research girl for you now, you realise that don’t you?”

“It’s what you’re good at. One of the things anyway,” Tara told her, depositing a kiss on her cheek.

She was just in time opening her eyes to see Ethan shaking his head, disgusted. “You two are just too… perfect. It’s worthy of throwing up. Your friend, Buffy, now there’s a girl who knows how to have a disastrous relationship with the wrong person. She was fun. You two… it’s just so sickeningly sweet. I can see you together forever.”

“M-moving on,” Tara said. “Willow’s found the plans for the Initiative.”

“Really now?” Ethan asked, rounding the desk to look at the screen too. “A little small isn’t it and not exactly… portable. I hardly think they’re going to leave me with your machine?”

The plans that she’d discovered were extensive, he was right about that. And they went several screens across on her laptop even on an illegible zoom setting. But it was the best she could do.

“You need to memorise it,” Willow said.

“Oh… Move it to the right? Okay, now the left? Done.”

“Be serious.”

“Won’t take much more than that. I look at things, I remember them.” He shrugged. “Give me a few minutes and I’ll have it.”

That was something she hadn’t known and discovering things about Ethan – even useful things – was freaking her out as well.

They were… ‘working together.’

She watched him go over the plans, messing with the zoom and scrolling around. Far too briefly for her liking, but he insisted that he’d gotten it. So… pop quiz.

“Okay,” she said. “From the big room shaped like a side on colander, which way to the one that kind of looks like a baseball diamond with a lemon on the side?” she challenged. Not the greatest description in the world, but hey… she didn’t like the guy, she didn’t have to make it easy for him.

He paused for a few seconds. “North-east exit, third on the left, then first right.”

Ethan seemed happy that she was surprised. Two more tests just proved that he really had memorised it. Whether it’d help him on the ground – or under it – she wasn’t so sure but it was the best she could do for him given the super-secret nature of the whole place.

But bureaucracy was what it was. It needed paperwork and this had all been filed before it’d actually been officially labelled super-secret.

“Okay, okay, you seem to remember the map but you don’t where anywhere is – functionally I mean.” And that was the gap. These were construction plans, what had been done with the place since was less clear.

“Well, I think that once they put me in detention then that’ll prove where that is. Remind me again why I’m doing this, if you’d be so kind?”

“Because she asked you to,” Tara broke her silence at an opportune moment having been content for the two of them to go through the computer stuff without her.

“Yeah, you want to prove your devotion to your Goddess, win her favour, well here’s your chance,” Willow added.

“I was hoping she’d have some time for me, before I left,” Ethan said, looking around as if she just might appear because he wished it.

“She’s leaving more and more with Tara now,” Willow told him. It was a strange combination of pride and trepidation that informed her reaction to that. Tara was right, Diana hadn’t really done anything that you could call ‘bad’ – at least not that they’d witnessed. No worse than anything Buffy did on the average night in Sunnydale. Just dog assisted. Like a service dog. But bigger. Bigger dog. Bigger teeth. Bigger impact.

So there was that. But then there was also the natural – she thought – suspicion of anyone who wasn’t them. How many times had they run into something big and powerful – lots – and how many times had that turned to be even benign, let alone helpful and beneficial. Oooh, they were batting right about zero on that one.

Didn’t happen. Which didn’t mean it couldn’t happen. And there was the quandary. Tara believed at least to the point she was willing to give Diana, Artemis or the Goddess – whatever you wanted to call her – the benefit of the doubt.

Willow was officially on the skeptic train, but… she’d come to believ in Tara and Tara’s assessment of people. And she had to worry about how the others would see Tara, for just the same reason and the more she worked with Diana…

Tara liked the dogs though. The dogs were a big thing – in every sense of the word – in why Tara was so calm about all this. As if the dogs wouldn’t work for a mistress who was doing bad things?

On the other hand she had to admit that giant dogs, taller than she was when they were stood up on their back legs, probably moved her the other way when it came to bias.

And it wasn’t like Tara was oblivious to the risks either. Actually she was being very careful and Willow certainly appreciated that caution.

Sending Ethan Rayne down into the Initiative though, that didn’t seem like a risk. That seemed like a damned fine idea. Better yet, they were going to have him captured first.

What was the worst that could happen? Ethan ended up in a prison cell designed to hold supernatural beings.

Okay, the worst was actually that they might run tests or cut him up, she supposed. But that was what they wanted to know. What was really happening down there?

The unfortunate part was that, in theory, he was supposed to get out again… and they were going to help him do that. Better him than Tara though and it had to be someone the Army guys – AKA the Initiative – wanted to take down there. Someone with power and who was willing to use it at least enough to be noticed by their patrols.

So they were giving Ethan a one night licence to sow chaos. He just didn’t get to dodge the kick in the nuts that was going to come at the end of it. That was the whole point. Get him in there, see what he could find out about what they were doing and then get him out again.

“Are you ready?” Tara asked.

“Always.”

“Got a clean shirt on?”

“Can’t you tell?”

“Oh, it still looks like someone vomited blood over it,” Willow assured him.

“I’ll have you know this is a big hit with the ladies,” Ethan retorted. “Though clearly not ladies who love other ladies.”

And there it was again… Ethan knew more about them as a couple than anyone else, which meant he knew they were a couple. She was going to have to do something about that, and soon. Who knew what he’d blurt out when he got out and there was little chance he wouldn’t get one of his now-traditional beatings.

I might actually have to help him, if he’s helped us.

“I don’t care whether you’re L,B,T,Q or straight,” Willow said, hoping she’d not missed out any of the alphabet, “that is still an ugly-ass shirt.”

“The evidence speaks for itself,” Ethan said and Willow once again felt Tara’s hand restraining her. Yeah, she had to play nice. He was doing them a favour, at least he was via Diana. If it wasn’t for him then she was sure that, eventually, Giles, Buffy and the rest would’ve had to come up with some way of achieving the same thing.

Better Ethan took the risk than any of them. Let him do something for someone else for a change. Let him cause trouble for someone else. That’d definitely be a change.

But they needed to know what was going on. Everyone said so, from the Goddess down to Xander who was reduced to making educated guesses based on his one night of being an army guy.

That had been Ethan’s fault too, of course. But at least Xander had picked up some practical skills, all she’d come out of that night with was a couple of all too clear memories. What it was to dress slutty and what it was to know that old people still… Nevermind.

Diana had already sent a succubus into the Initiative and found out a lot of stuff from one of the young men who worked there, but… he hadn’t understood everything. The Scoobies had just been lucky to hear about that, thankfully Tara had been willing to share what she knew. And it still wasn’t enough.

But Ethan was in Sunnydale because he’d heard whispers about what was happening in the bowels of the… did big underground lairs have bowels? The point though was that word was getting out and that there was something to know…

The Goddess had decided that Ethan was the one to find out and Willow couldn’t argue for a second with that decision. All he had to do was be treachourous, duplicitous and get himself locked up. It should be easy for him.

All of them were probably curious whether Diana could have just walked in there and unstoppably found out for herself or put a stop to it, but if she wasn’t volunteering and no one was going to challenge what they had to admit might be an immortal, old god to do that then… Well, in those circumstances they could send Ethan as plan B. That was fine.

“R-run through it again,” Tara said.

“He has an eidetic memory,” Willow said, already tired of the sound of his voice.

“Please,” Tara added, reinforcing her requirement.

I hadn’t realised just how masterful she could be. Or is that mistressful?

Tara was the who’d been asked to sort this out but Willow knew she’d been a big help. The thing was she just didn’t want to think about how her part of the plan was going to be… carried. Not carried out. Just… carried.

“I cause trouble, attract attention and get myself taken down there,” Ethan said. “We’re under the impression they’ll be more used to dealing with demons and so they likely won’t give me a more than cursory search. Just enough to make sure I don’t have weapons or anything I can use to escape.”

Tara nodded. So far so good.

“Given any opportunity, I insert the USB stick into any hole that I can find,” he continued by rote.

“They call them ports,” Willow said. “The hole is where you’ve put it already.” As in ewww.

“Not at all, my dear lady. Just clenched between the cheeks. Just clenched between the cheeks. I’ll have you know I wasn’t at boarding school like our mutual friend Ripper.”

“Definitely too much information,” Willow said. All the same, she didn’t want the stick back. It was officially written off.

Tara had stayed resolutely quiet on the matter but it didn’t take a genius to know that she hadn’t appreciated the mental image either.

“Then you have my apologies, but certainly - if given the chance - I’ll slip it in and see what happens.”

She had the feeling he was deliberately adding innuendo to that too, but she couldn’t call him on it and so she ignored it. “It’s a while since I took on a military system,” she said. “But if it works then it’ll give me a backdoor into theirs and that might get us some answers too.”

“Have you no faith?”

We’ve had altogether too much Faith, thank you very much.

“The r-rest is down to you,” Tara said and Willow shut her mouth. This was Tara’s operation.

No one had called it an ‘operation’ except for her and Tara had looked at her a little strangely when she suggested it, but she’d made up for that with the – perhaps vain - hope they might be able to get into the Initiative’s computers, not just sneaking Ethan inside. That ought to make up for the black ops labelling though.

It was Tara who was in charge though, even though she’d contributed the whole hacking element to it. And it’d been fascinating to see her tell Ethan the way it was going to be. She’d known the woman only just she’d admitted she loved had strength as well as power – that’d been obvious from that first night in the laundry room – but imposing her will on others, being in charge, was something that came less easily to everyone.

You’d have thought that, with her hesitancy, Tara wouldn’t have been persuasive enough. But somehow she managed to pull it off. Carrying the authority of Diana just through force of personality.

“I understand,” Ethan said.

“D-do you?”

“I’ll talk to anyone I can,” he agreed. “Guards, inmates or whatever. Find out as much as possible before I signal you to get out.”

“We don’t want you to take risks though,” Tara said and sounding much more sincere than she’d have managed. But then their experiences of Ethan were very different – even though Willow had told her girlfriend everything when this had come up.

“You mean aside from getting captured by men with electric rifles as well as real guns, being taken to be confined underground and having no idea whether the exit strategy – “, he looked at Willow who’d used that term as well, “will even work?”

“Aside from that,” Tara confirmed, just a hint of a sympathetic smile reaching her lips.

“It’s nice to know that you care,” Ethan said. “Unlike some people.”

“I care,” Willow protested. I just don’t’ care much. But as for the exit strategy, how will we find out what you know otherwise?”

“You’re all heart. Three days then?”

“If we haven’t heard from you by then we’ll find a way,” Tara said.

Of course what she actually meant was Diana would find a way, it’d have to be her. Otherwise… well, witches they might be but if Ethan couldn’t get out then the chances of them getting in and out were slim enough. And it wasn’t like Giles would be interested in Buffy helping even if the Slayer herself was willing. There was that whole thing with the tattoos and the demon to consider and general rancour towards his old friend.

“You’d better.”

“We will,” Willow said. She didn’t trust or much care about Ethan, but if Tara had given her word then she was definitely prepared to help back that up. Of course if they’d dismembered him for research or something before three days were up then there’d be little that she could do.

Which would be a shame. Obviously.

-------------------------------------

Tara found herself even more nervous than she’d expected to be. This – none of this – was what she was or what she did. There was too much that could go wrong and though Willow didn’t seem to think that Ethan Rayne was worth much, she was more concerns than that.

She felt responsible. For all this, that they were about to put into motion.

Even for him.

Ethan’s ‘demonstration’ of power had been planned out in terms of time and place, being closer to the known entrances to the secret army base than to campus security offices or the police. It wasn’t first responders they were looking for, it was secret government agencies.

Also, the location had the advantage of being well covered by closed circuit TV too, maybe it’d been set up by the Initiative? It was easy to imagine that they’d be making use of it even if it wasn’t theirs. If Willow could hack into classified government computers – and she was sure her girlfriend could if she said so – then the government could certainly get a feed from cameras that they hadn’t set up.

Breathe. It’ll be okay. Willow knows what she’s doing. Ethan knows what he’s doing.

Can I say as much?

She and Willow had come out, posing as exactly what they were. Girlfriends meeting up in the quadrangle outside the Biology Department after class. It seemed easiest.

Also, attending class had been something they were both determined to do, not wanting to miss any more than they already had. The kiss had felt pretty genuine too, neither of them was playing for the cameras there either.

“How was your class?” Willow asked, looping an arm through hers.

“Good, thanks. Yours?”

“Kind of took an unexpected tangent. Professor Walsh was being subbed by a TA and he was answering any question that came up. Things went… well, astray.”

“Oh?”

“Oooh, later. Look who just showed up. What… How do we look casual?” Willow asked.

“Just be yourself, I think.”

“My hands though… what do I do with those?”

“One can hold mine,” Tara said and Willow grabbed at it eagerly. “The other… just relax, maybe gesture a little as we talk.” She demonstrated, but it might’ve been a little too… obvious, almost smacking Willow in the nose. “Sorry.”

“No, it’s a good example,” Willow agreed. “I can do demonstrative. I’m good with demonstrative.”

“You’re thinking of making out with me, aren’t you?”

Most of the time, yeah. But that’s not what I had in mind right now. I don’t happen think another public display of affection is appropriate at the moment.”

Somehow she didn’t quite believe it.

“I think,” Willow continued, “that we should have our minds on the job.” And in contrast to her words, at that moment Willow was pulling her more tightly against her and pushing fingers between hers.

“Funny girl.”

“The very funniest.”

“Bench?”

“Sure.”

“Why is it I can’t think what to say to you now?” Willow asked when they were sat down.

“Stress?”

“No… that’s not it. Oh, I know, we’re getting beyond words.”

“I like your words,” Tara complained. “I don’t want to be beyond words. Don’t you think that’d be kind of dull?”

“Even when they’re all babbly like a babbling brook?”

“Especially when they’re all babbly.” After all one of them needed to be able to say something whenever she wanted and no matter how much stress or pressure she was feeling – however unnecessarily.

“Then I shall use my words, I shall talk about using my words, and look like we’re just talking and certainly not expecting something to happen that we know will happen Or should happen. That way no one will think we were in on it before hand, even though we’re so in that it’s actually our idea – your idea, an idea…”

Finally, partly out of pity and partly out of concern that someone might realise that the wildly gesticulating Willow was spouting nonsense just to look like she had something to say, Tara kissed her.

And silenced her.

Left Willow sitting there, eyes closed and mouth a little bit open. “Oh.” A beautiful little ‘oh’ that sent a shiver of delight running through her. She’d inspired – another – ‘oh.’ Was that something she’d ever find a way to get tired of?

Seemed like one of nature’s ‘no way’ things.

“Sweetie, it’s okay not to have the words,” Tara said. She’d spent much of her life not having the words, or not being willing to say them when, you know, anyone might hear her.

“I had words,” Willow said, finally playing along with something that – probably – looked a little more natural. “Until you took them away. But… that’s okay, you can take them away whenever you like if you do it that way.”

“It was your gestures that - ”

“Here he comes,” Willow said, tugging on her sleeve to indicate. “Oh, wait. Don’t look. We shouldn’t be looking until we have a reason to look, la de da, la de da, would you like a piece of cheese? Yes, you’d like a piece? Sorry, I don’t have any right now, but look, I’m talking with you and this was a lot easier when we could talk about something and all hell wasn’t about to break loose, I don’t want to say anything when - ”

Another kiss did the trick.

“It’s okay, Willow. Just look at me,” Tara murmured when she broke it. Yes, she wanted to turn and see what was going to happen as much as Willow did, but she was focused and she was willing to put up with a little nonsense. Willow, in all things, was just a little less patient.

But… she had been very patient. And… patience deserved a reward. It was just that now wasn’t the time to say or plan that. Soon though… Soon they’d talk about it.

“Okay…”

“Just look at me until you can’t look any more,” Tara said.

What she meant was until Ethan started to do his thing and, like every good cliché, they were supposed to start screaming and shouting for help. Just in case no one else did.

The thing was getting lost in each other’s eyes was all too easy and her instructions obviously hadn’t been precise enough.

“I think he’s doing his thing,” Tara said when the shouts had already started.

“Eww.”

“No… his thing.”

“Oh, yeah…” Willow managed to turn to look as Ethan had – with a great deal of preparation – animated two of the quadrangles statues into some semblance of life and was having them smash away at each other. A football quarterback from the fifties taking on an academic from the seventies with fists of stone.

If that wasn’t enough, because – hey – they hadn’t been willing to just let Ethan run free with his chaotic imagination, Rayne was standing there conducting the stone-slaughter like some sort of amped up, mad conductor on speed. Collateral damage only came close to the other people in the square when they strayed too close to the two titans that were duking it out.

“On pure damage, academia seems to be winning,” Willow said. “Go Professor Fortunam!”

“Sweetie,” Tara reminded her, “we’re afraid and in a panic, remember? Not sure what’s going on?”

“Oh… yeah. Oh my… I’m swooning, I’m swooning,” Willow complained loudly.

Somehow Tara didn’t think that she was taking it seriously, but then she did have a limited amount of skill at acting or pretending anything. So maybe it was fortunate that the arm of the football star landed right at their feet, still twitching and groaning as you’d expect animated stone to after Fortunam had ripped it off and thrown it away.

“I think this is a real grudge match,” Willow said as they both leapt back, though obviously too late.

“M-maybe,” Tara said, scanning the people who were around. They’d scheduled it for between classes, just so there’d be plenty here and the reaction wasn’t disappointing. If anyone thought these were just a guy and a woman painted stone grey and duking it out as a show then they sparks that were flying – stone sparked? – and the chips that were coming off… You couldn’t think that for long. Shouts had gone up and Ethan was playing his part.

Now there was someone who knew how to act and deceive better than they did. All she was trusting in was that he hadn’t been able to deceive Diana because as long as he was on their side then this was almost certainly going to work and…

As if on cue…

At first there was just one, obviously a guy in the army gear and balaclava. She still couldn’t get over the fact that it just looked cheap compared even to the guys who’d been all over the news even a decade ago when the country went to war. But then, this was supposed to be a college campus, not a battlefield. Perhaps they were still, somehow, undercover. Take off the balaclava and put the weird guns in a backpack and you’d look like plenty of others wearing army green and black.

And thinking of those guns, the first one on the scene didn’t just check things out, like some sort of hero he went to try and take on the statues. Wrong target, but it was still brave. Trouble was that there wasn’t much that a gun designed to dart someone and then give them an electric shock was going to do to a couple of tons of stonework duking it out with each other.

The tranquiliser attempted by the the next to arrive on the scene was no better, bouncing off the stone and one of them flew off in their direction, causing both she and Willow to jump back again and look down at the blunted dart that landed at their feet. At least it’d keep them looking innocent.

It was only with the arrival of the third, fourth and fifth army guy that someone took a proper look at the situation and decided that the appropriate target was the guy with the weird accent, hyped up and screaming vague threats about restoring the Queen to the colonies.

Now that was just out of line. But it focused them and it was Ethan who was darted next. He’d probably be pleased to know that no one kicked him in the unmentionables once he was unconscious.

She’d ask Willow to mention it though, it was more her style.

Chance in *Chance*

Post subject: Re: Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda - CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO - 12/09/12
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:02 pm 
9. Gay Now

Dibs!

Omigod!
They had THAT conversation, and no-one picked up on 'Backdoor?'

Shame on you Katharyn!

And the boarding school crack was hilarious!

(see what i did there?)

I look forward to more.

I am definitely looking forward to Ethan embarrassing the stuffing out of Giles.
I really thought they missed the boat on the show with the 'Ethan knows all Giles' embarrassing secrets' angle.

I can just see him regaling the Scoobies with tales of what they got up to when they were younger, while a mortified Giles tries to pretend he was anywhere else.
And probably polishes his glasses. :)

Awesome work K :flower
I'm looking forward to the next bit already :bounce

R

Last edited by Azirahael on Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:08 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

I love kiss me! For some reason European subtitled films are just so much better some times. I must confess I haven't actually read this latest update yet as I am currently watching Elf lol but I'm sure it will be brill like the other parts if not better :-) Bekks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:19 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 1
Katharyn, I’m still with ya.. sorry for not being around lately. We aren’t doing the Tara for Charity this year but instead of having a bit of extra time I got slammed with several other projects. No rest for the wicked, eh? On to some long overdue feedback: Tara finally meets Giles.. sort of. LOL Will he find out Tara saved his drunken ass? That’s gotta be worth some big points if the Scoobies question Tara’s motives. Once they find out she’s hanging around the Huntress that is.

I enjoy the way you write Ethan in your stories --it’s so much fun! I was wondering what Diana wanted with him. She must not believe he’s much of a threat or she wouldn’t have put Tara at risk. Although.. it could just be that she has faith in Tara’s ability to handle a powerful warlock. Plus.. Tara had some spectacular back-up if things went sideways. I love the idea of using Ethan to infiltrate and get info on the Initiative’s real agenda. You just know he’s gonna try to pull something foolish. I mean, it’s Ethan.. it’s what he does.

Willow helps with the infiltration plan but acknowledges Tara as being the one in charge. It’s interesting that Tara isn’t second guessing herself. Knowing Willow supports and trusts her judgment should really boost Tara’s confidence. She is proving why the Goddess chose her. And what Willow could sense from the start. Someday, soon I hope, Tara will take a good look at what she has accomplished and realize she is all they see in her and so much more.

Ethan animating the statues to draw the attention of the Initiative was pure genius! I hope he sticks around for a long while. This chapter, especially, was chock full of awesome --Action, humor, character and relationship development. Just one thing:

Quote:
We’ve had altogether too much Faith, thank you very much.

Umm.. speak for yourself Red. I love that crazy Slayer! :grin

:) LOVE IT!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:27 am 
4. Extra Flamey

This is one of the most creative stories on the board. Great seeing the interactions between Willow and Tara. Even better is seeing a young Willow defer to Tara's lead. Plus, fighting statues! I think that's a first.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:39 pm 
23. Volumey Text

I may have to dash before finishing my replies, but will edit in later if that is the case...

Azirahael - hey, I can't catch everything! I get way smuttier than canon ever did anyway! Witness the boarding school joke... And yes, I see what you did :)

As ever, you wish and hope for some things I may not deliver (unless your wishes start to find their way into redraft) but then I can always go in other directions. And as I related before the last chapter, I'm adding two 'bonus' parts to fulfill reader expectations! Been working on one today.

There's a little of that, but it's not the Giles and Ethan show ;)

Thanks so much!

Zombie777 - What's not to love? But then you switch to Elf... umm... ;) Thanks

Kajun - Glad you're around and okay! And you are VERY wicked. You can see what I enjoy writing as it usually turns out better, Ethan is one of those things. It helps when you can hang his whole character off three things though - English - Horny - Bad Shirts.

The Ethan thing in canon just made no sense to me... I mean, really, just turn Giles into a demon and go? LOL.

I think perhaps that Tara isn't second guessing because I had enough of that in Sidestep with constant angst about 'the right thing' and this is a Tara that gets things done in a different way because she has different experiences. Mostly she gets other people to do what they can, so it's not really all on her as the facilitator. Also, I think other people would tell her if she was making no sense...

The statues were fun, but I think maybe I saw a show or film with something similar around that time. Too good to be my idea!

Altogether too much Faith? Well, This Years Girl is coming up :) No surprise there...

Thanks!

Mochavamp - Hey, thanks so much for your very kind words! I tend to doubt (in my own head) that it can be one of the most creative stories when I lifted so much from canon! But perhaps I am looking at S5 there where I lifted quite a lot more as it's much more structured to tell the story... Or maybe I am just paranoid LOL. But thank you, it means a lot to hear that my fears aren't being realised ;)

Tara and Willow interactions are what it's all about, of course. And - in my memory (its been ten years or more!) - I think Willow often deferred to Tara... except when she flat out did something crazy. I never felt like (if there was one) there was anyone other than Tara who was the natural lead in that relationship. Others may think different!

Thanks so much!

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:31 pm 
5. Willowhand

:clap I like the distraction, fighting statues, ha!

Also I found this to be quite amusing
Quote:
“Please,” Tara added, reinforcing her requirement.

I hadn’t realised just how masterful she could be. Or is that mistressful?

So certain images of Tara and whips popped into my head... :crazy Which always makes me giggle.

Regardless, that was another great update and hurrah for story progression. I have a feeling that the scoobs and Tara will be meeting soon....

"The Hammer is my Penis," Captain Hammer, 'Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog.'

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:00 am 
5. Willowhand

Topics: 6
Wow, I missed quite a few chapters, but now that I've caught up, it's so wonderful to see how far they've come, and knowing they can only go further. More please, m'am!

"Friendship is obviously magic. Love is a sorta super strong friendship. We gay people love so hard we broke 'Social Norm'. Ergo, we gay people are ultra-strong wizards."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:25 am 
23. Volumey Text

Missocki - I think those images may have popped into Willow's mind too!! But yes, you're right - everything is going to be coming together soon enough. Thanks!

Faolan - Welcome back! You must've had a bit to read there, that can be nice having a chunk to go at... Nice to have you with us :) Thanks

More will appear in the next few minutes...

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

Last edited by Katharyn on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda - CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE - 12/12/12
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:34 am 
23. Volumey Text

Title: Tara and Willow – Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda – Chapter Thirty-Three
Feedback: Absolutely, yes please. That’s why I write for this place, to engage in the discussion about the story.
Spoiler warning: Not sure why I am bothering, really, but Season 4 and Season 5 of BTVS.
Distribution: This story was written for Pens. Pens is its home. No archiving off Different Coloured Pens and the Kitten Board please. No conversion to eBook or other formats please. Enjoy it here.
Summary: Tara and Willow get the information they’ve been hoping for. Naturally, there are things they need to work out along the way.
Disclaimer: I don’t own any of the copyrights or anything else associated with BTVS. All rights lie with the production company, writers etc. I am making no money from this series of stories however all original characters and situations remain my property. As this is a missing scenes and alternate reality fiction lots of scenes are new versions of those seen in the show, as such dialogue and situations are taken from the show. I’m sure you can tell which. All credit for those aspects goes to the original writers.
Rating: Occasional, tasteful, adult situations and contextual bad language. However by and large equivalent to the show.
Text convention: Use of italics denotes either special emphasis if used for a single or a few words in a sentence OR first person thoughts if used for a whole sentence.
Notes: So, these last few parts have been a lot of fun to come back to. As usual for me, I have no memory even for what I’ve written so it’s almost like discovering a new book when I come back to early chapters after first drafting to the end. There’s definitely a difference in my tone between S4 and S5 and that’s making me wonder whether I need to extend the story slightly to bring S5 back around. I am sure, given the canon, you can imagine that S5 is much more gruelling for all involved (though things are different) and to leave a story like that? Once upon a time, Xita told me not to just end in a happy place. I had to show the happy place. I am thinking maybe I need to explore that happy place once again. That’s just the nature of fanfic versus a novel or a script. Another sort of fan service, if you like to put it that way.
Thanks to: Since I mentioned her, let’s go with Xita again. I’m not sure I mentioned it in this story, but she’s still paying the bills around here, keeping the lights on and the ads out.
Music: I’ve mentioned her before but not yet in this fic. Today’s redrafting is Sara Bareilles inspired. I understand she’d ended up on some US talent show (not one that anyone heard of) as a judge. Shame…
Technical note: I know we can’t download stuff as fast as is suggested here even today, not in the volumes I refer to, but hey… they have vampires and zombies too. Roll with it, geeks 

“I don’t think Buffy believes there’s nothing going on anymore,” she said.

“Maybe you could just, you know, t-tell her?” Tara suggested. “That might help?”

Okay, reason girl. If things just worked that way in your world…

“Which part?” she snuggled up beside the warm, soft body of her girl. The girl who called her ‘sweetie’ and ‘baby’ and ‘honey.’ No one had ever called her any of those things. Once it would have seemed silly and almost childish, but now she was finding it cute and endearing. And absolutely loving it.

Of course that was probably more to do with the warm, soft body being Tara than anything else. Tara could get away with whatever she liked.

“Any of it,” Tara said, pushed her hair back and revealed one of those – and there were many - spots of her body that she just delighted in. And she hadn’t even gotten to experience them all yet. Pretty soon – she hoped – she was going to have to start ranking. Prioritising even.

She leaned in and kissed the newly revealed neck, just for a moment and it made Tara smile. It made her smile too.

“But all of it?” she asked.

Tara shook her head. “I’m not going there. You know what I think about us. I know what your reasons are though and I trust you. I even think you’re probably right.”

Usually right,” Willow pointed out. “I’m usually right. Sometimes, but not usually, I’m not right.”

Another smile. “Now’s not going to be the time,” Tara agreed.

“Yeah… Which brings us to the other thing.”

She could just see how that conversation was going to go.

‘Guys, listen. I have a girlfriend now. Yeah, I’m pretty much what you’d call your standard issue lesbian. No, Xander, you can’t. Yeah, you do know her actually. It’s the girl who followed that pesky Goddess we’re so worried about and I’ve been helping her. Oh, and so is Ethan Rayne. Oh, no, there’s no need to be suspicious of any of that and I absolutely haven’t had my mind taken over by her or anyone else.’

Even though she’s all I can think about.

You had to know Tara to be certain of her and asking her friends to get to know her girlfriend when they’d be suspicious? No… that wasn’t fair on anyone. So… if they could just leave things until this was done and there was a big success to point to? Something else Tara had helped them with?

How much could they want from a girl they didn’t even know?

And if they could wait, maybe, until Ethan was gone too… One way or another.

Those two things would go a whole way to helping them accept Tara as they should do.

“B-Buffy? She’s suspicious because you’ve not been coming home every night?” Tara wondered.

“Yeah. She always says, ‘it’s not paranoia when the demons all want to rip her throat out’. So she must’ve noticed…

“I mean, she’s used to being out late herself and when I was with – well, when I was with my ex, I obviously sometimes wasn’t around at night. But now I’m so-called single… How often can I pull an all-nighter in the library before she gets suspicious?

“She thinks you have a boyfriend then?” Tara asked, but way too casually for the answer not to have meant something to her.

“Probably,” Willow said, “because I never gave her a reason, or at least much reason, to think maybe you – the hypothetical you - had girl instead of boy bits. I like the girl bits, in case you were wondering.”

“I noticed,” Tara said and Willow realised that something that had sounded awkward in her head and worse when she actually said it had turned out what? Reassuring?

And they’d made progress in every aspect of their relationship.

They’d graduated to all but stripping off now when they were contemplating sexy-time. Of course they’d wake up in the morning in pyjama tops or tee-shirts, she had some clothes and wash things in one of Tara’s drawers now. Just for convenience. It’d felt like a big step to put them there. But yeah, right now… all but naked.

Just not butt naked. Or naked in other ways that wouldn’t have been taken care of anymore if she actually had been butt naked.

It wasn’t so much nudity that was the final frontier… No, it was to boldly go where no woman has gone before. Very much within touching distance and the sheer willpower it took not to go there, not to flat out beg Tara to go there…

Maybe she ought to be asking Diana for strength or something? But somehow they’d managed to hold themselves back while also finding the closeness and intimacy that brought them closer and made them stronger together. It was fair to say that she was ready for more of that intimacy though.

She’d never have believed just how ‘ready’ Tara could make her. Without even, apparently, trying or knowing what she was doing. Gosh…

“I don’t want you to lie to Buffy, sweetie,” Tara said.

“And I try not to, I really do. I never lie about anything she should know. I just… omit things sometimes. And when it’s about us, I know that’s important, but it’s important to me and to you – not to her because she doesn’t even know. Even so… I hate that you worry about it. I want – you know what I want, don’t you? You know that I’m not ashamed or afraid, right?”

“I know,” Tara said, hugging her. “We’ve talked about it often enough.”

“It’s a good excuse though, isn’t it?” Willow asked.

She looked up at Tara smiling a ‘yes’. They were holed up like this partly because, hey, beautiful sexy woman who wanted to get mostly naked, make out and find out just how close they could get to a home run without actually coming up with a finalised definition… But the main thing, the official excuse, if they needed it over why they were here together, was because Ethan might need them. Both of them.

Easier if they were in one place, right? That was just efficiency.

Beautiful. Sexy. Efficiency.

And all for Ethan Rayne. Honest.

It’d been two days with no hint of a signal to say he needed to be taken out of there. No hint of any activity on the computer front either, but given where he’d hidden the USB stick she’d given him perhaps that wasn’t altogether surprising.

If you simply had to speculate then you might suppose that a bunch of macho frat house guys wouldn’t go near checking all the bits of an old, English troublemaker and finding it.

But professional army guys? She had no idea, except they’d certainly not enjoy it.

Had it been found then? Even if it had… all was not lost. The original plan had been to put Ethan in there. The idea about the USB stick had come later. Just because she was a witchy-witch didn’t mean she couldn’t still go back to her roots.

And it was some of her finest work too. She just hoped it’d get the chance to be tested and used.

Then, if Ethan did need them to get him out of the base, then it would take the three of them to do what they planned. His willing cooperation, but also the two of them to supply the oomph to the ritual.

And there was a lot of oomph that was needed to this one. This was the kind of thing that could really kick you in the nuts – if you had nuts, so lucky break there – to perform. Actually she was really excited about it, after the rose when they’d proven they could work really well together magically, they’d tried a few other spells too and… yeah, somehow that had always led them to bed not that long afterwards.

Also, it was very possible that lately spells were the only things that were letting them keep their panties on as long as they had.

It wasn’t the sort of thing you admitted, but damn… those rituals felt good. Just her touch was special, they both felt it. But magic with Tara… Wow.

Who even needed mail order ‘accessories’? Though that was still on the cards for the future as far as she was concerned.

But something about just how they connected and the power pushed through the combined whole that was Taraandwillow was… They might not talk about it but she was absolutely certain that it was having the same effect on her girlfriend. It’d been tough for her to hide, a couple of times. The rose had simply been prolonged use of magic but anything that came to a conclusion in a burst… another word might easily – and not inaccurately – have been ‘climax.’

Almost anyway.

Not quite.

Not close enough to stop them carrying those feelings over into… feelings.

Would or could it be better when they made love? Undoubtedly! There was literally no doubt and she couldn’t wait for that day or that night… It would have the intimacy, the connection and the love… all right there, even if – and you can’t blame a girl for feeling the pressure – even if one or two of the ‘techniques’ was likely to take a little work to perfect. But the magic… yeah, that was almost delivering the big O anyway.

As in… wOw.

So they spent their time in proximity because they could, because they wanted to and because they genuinely might need to be close for Ethan’s sake. Luckily it was the weekend and in terms of being apart they’d barely had to venture more than the distance down the hall to the bathroom in all that time.

Of course, that was something that had amused Annie no end when they ran into each other. And amusing Annie was something that was usually accompanied by furious blushes. Tara’s friend was an uncannily accurate judge and didn’t hold a thing back. If she thought it then it came out of her mouth.

And yeah, that was probably why she liked Annie too.

Tomorrow though they were going to have to go to go out and then even possibly abandon classes if the call came in at the wrong time. That’d be a drag, obviously.

All the same, even though she didn’t like Ethan Rayne very much, it was hard not to worry about what was taking so long and what might’ve happened to him down there.

No little part of that was selfish. If he’d been captured and interrogated – or worse – then there was the question of what might he have given away. Theoretically – though it was unlikely – they might also track the code on the USB stick back to her. Or at least to some of the illegal things she’d done before with a computer. Code, she was told, was like a fingerprint. It was just a question of whether they had her ‘prints’ on record.

Every time there was a noise outside the room she wondered whether it was some Initiative storm trooper about to burst in.

Of course when she was here, Tara could distract her from that fear and she wasn’t especially worried about anyone bursting into her room. Buffy could take care of herself if that happened. And the intruders.

What was she going to do about Buffy? And the others, but mostly Buffy. Xander had his own life now, he had Anya. Buffy almost had a boyfriend, but not quite yet – last she knew – but they shared a room and they both went to college here and…

They were friends. And Eddie was,undoubtedly, a boy.

Also, maybe now Tara was her best friend? And having a girlfriend – every sense of the word – was different to a boyfriend. With Oz, Buffy had stayed her best friend but now she was with Tara… the things she’d have confided with one person in the world, she’d confide in Tara instead. Wasn’t that what a best friend was? Someone you could tell anything too? Was that a different, lesbionic aspect to being girlfriends?

That she and Tara were – almost – lovers as well didn’t change how she felt about her as that one person.

And didn’t Buffy deserve to know about that change in status? Wouldn’t it just be good to tell her? But the longer it went then the harder it became. The part that was all ‘why didn’t you tell me when you first kissed’ was harder to ignore. By this point, Buffy might be as hurt to find out so late as she would about not finding out at all.

“Ping, Willow,” Tara said.

“Huh?”

“P-ping. It pinged. Your computer pinged.”

“It’s an iBook,” Willow said and not for the first time. But that was okay, Tara wasn’t technically minded. She could type up her papers and that was pretty much as much as she needed any kind of computer for. Email was just something unfortunate that happened to other people.

“Then your iBook pinged,” she said, persistent while Willow was all comfortable right where she was, thank you, Ma’am.

“Oh.”

“Couldn’t that be Ethan?”

She figured it out just as Tara said it. “Ohh…” Untangling herself from both Tara and the sheets proved to be a less than graceful exercise, but once she was up on her feet – albeit mostly undressed – she was able to pad quickly across the room.

“Oooh,” she said. “You’re right. Good ears, baby. Good as the rest of you.” She’d kissed them often enough. Whispered sweet somethings. Because she wanted no part of nothings.

Tara grinned. “It’s him then?”

“Well, it’s not necessarily him, but someone plugged that stick in and… I really, really hope it’s him.”

“Why?”

“Think about where he was keeping it,” she said and waited.

“Ohhh.”

“Yeah. I mean, whoever these Initiative people are they’re Americans and they’re soldiers too and no one who’s serving their country deserves to be… well, handling that. Its asking more than any man can give.”

“You’re right. What can you see?”

She was way ahead of Tara’s question, already exploring what she could do and what she could see. After all she had no idea how long this access would last. In theory it was supposed to be untraceable, but she knew that was a fallacy. It was just extremely difficult to trace, but this was the government and for them ‘extremely difficult’ was usually just a question of how much cash and time you could throw at the problem.

Even though she was good, she wasn’t so good that an army of people with better skills than her at NSA couldn’t track her if they were alerted fast enough. Would they though? And how long to get around her safeguards?

And then it should only come back to the college. Not to this room, or her. She was on the public network, after all and had taken precautions.

But what was showing up… There was lots of it coming in.

“I’m not really paying attention to anything in particular right now,” she said. “I’m basically downloading absolutely everything we can get access to and we can look at it later.”

“Could it be a trick?” Tara wondered.

“Could be,” Willow said. “But the first rule of hacking is that people are often dumber than you assume they’d be. Passwords that are just, like ‘password’ or their name or their dog’s name… stuff like that. That goes for the government too. You have no idea how many times I could’ve shut down the Sunnydale water supply when I was in looking at the sewer systems, all because the supervisor was – Oh.”

“Oh?”

“That’s odd. “Not dangerous,” she clarified when Tara looked concerned. “But it’s definitely… odd.” She continued when it was obvious that Tara was waiting rather than questioning further. “An alarm.”

“Switch it off then, before they… trace you?”

“That’s right, you do mean trace,” Willow said, all proud of her girl. “But it’s not an alarm about me or the computer. In fact, the IT systems are the only part that’s not on alert. It’s like, the whole place is on alert. Something physical is happening over there.”

“Speaking of something physical,” Tara said, draping an open shirt over her. “Put this on… if they come storming in I don’t want them looking at you.”

“Oh, that’s so sweet,” Willow replied, pulling the shirt on and trying to keep her movement around the downloads and the system going at the same time. If they locked down they could cut the connection and she might never get it back in again. But the hard drive she’d hooked up especially for the job – not wanting to risk her iBook and walking around with compromising material - was already getting to 30% capacity and it was just keeping on going…

Yowser. She’d got top of the line, the biggest – backsack portable – drive she’d been able to find. Hooked into the biggest and best internet connection the college could provide for the line in. Maybe all that wasn’t going to be enough.

There were documents, thousands of them. More than she’d be able to read. Video files too, that was where the volume of data was coming from, but the proximity of the data source as well as the fact that the campus seemed to have benefited from the most insanely high bandwidth links that she’d ever heard of meant that this was going about as fast the drive could keep up with. It was getting hot too and she could imagine the little heads inside flying back and forth, trying to write the data and keep up.

“You call it sweet, I call it possessive,” Tara said, buttoning the shirt a little higher for her and peering over her now covered shoulder. “You’re sure that dot above the screen isn’t a camera?”

“As if anyone would sit front of a computer with no clothes on with someone looking at them!”

“Don’t think I don’t know what people use the internet for,” Tara said.

“But not that.I mean… ew. But look at all this stuff? Wow… If this is a trap, if they’re doing this to entrap us then not only am I worse at this than I thought I was but they’d have to faked a whole load of documents and clips and… pictures.” She opened one, figuring just one wouldn’t hurt.

“What’s that?”

She was wrong… it did hurt. “That’s a demon,” she said. “A demon that they’ve cut open. Holy… look at that. I think it must’ve still been alive!”

Tara’s hand tightened on her arm at that moment and Willow turned her head to the left, looking at her. “You’re so sweet and sensitive,” she said, realising how that made Tara feel. “Worrying… It’s a demon, I’m sure they had good reason…”

Tara didn’t seem mollified by that though.

“What if it’d been a person? Say a witch? Or a werewolf?”

It didn’t take much thought to imagine that, considering even Verruca on that table – let alone Oz… No.

“What if it had been me?” Tara asked very quietly.

“But you see, I’d never let that happen. Never,” and she reinforced it with a kiss but then had to turn back to the screen.

“It’s the government, Willow. I don’t think that they’ll much care if we have green skin and horns, pointy teeth and funny faces or we look absolutely normal but can do things that other people can’t. Rituals… rituals are one thing, anyone can do that if they can read and learn. But power…? Momma warned me about times like these. That’s why – that’s why they have to – they can’t keep doing things like this.”

Willow didn’t quite know what to say. Swearing she’d never let it happen wasn’t enough, that was obvious, because standing up to the whole government? That was a pretty impossible task. Maybe a Goddess could do it and stand a chance, but them?

She didn’t know what the answer was. “What do you want to do?”

“I want to look at this stuff and… if they’re doing this, if that wasn’t just bad luck that you picked and opened the only one – like if it had an accident and they were treating it then… If it’s not that - ”

“Go on?”

“They have to be stopped.”

“Stopped?”

“We the people…” Tara said.

Stopped?

Tara meant it.

-----------------------------

She’d gone too far, that had been a mistake.

What if she’d given herself away, what if Willow had realised what she was? They’d come so far, gotten so deeply into each other that… Willow walking away now would break me.

If she leaves me now, I might as well go home and lock myself in that room.

Finding out what she had, that there were people out there – real people – looking for people – things – like her. Momma had always warned her to keep what she could do to herself. Daddy had drilled it into her. The penalties for using her power anywhere outside their own four walls…

He’d never, ever hit her - even though Donny had taken a few whuppings when he’d screwed up. But she knew that he would’ve done, to save her from herself if she’d used what she’d been taught anywhere that someone could see. Somewhere it couldn’t be explained away.

‘Rationalised away’ as they said here in Sunnydale.

“Tara?”

Willow was in the bathrooms, not quite banging on the cubicle doors but being as hers was the only one that was occupied… Yeah, she wasn’t really hiding away.

“Yeah.”

“You okay?”

“I… Those pictures just hit me.”

“Tara, they’re only demons,” Willow said and she obviously had no idea, no clue what she was saying. Why should she? She’d spent the last few years helping a Slayer kill virtually everything that didn’t just walk on two legs, eat Dorito’s and crash out in front of the television.

And what did she say now? What did she say that didn’t give her away? That didn’t mark her out as some sort of firth columnist or demon sympathizer?

It wasn’t that she argued with what Willow and her friends – or Diana – had been doing. When something was out there that the police couldn’t help with, hurting or killing people then someone had to do something about it. No question. She’d be first in line – you know, after people who were actually good at fighting – to protect someone else.

But wanting to hurt or kill someone wasn’t what made those things a demon. People were perfectly capable of doing that to each other. Demons, what they called demons, were… born that way. It was no different from skin colour, liking girls or having hair that looked good when you dyed it blonde.

Being a demon wasn’t what you did, it was who you were. Momma had proved that, having one inside of her… It’d always been there, Tara’s whole life her mother had been subject to the presence of that thing and it was in her too. It was where the magic came from.

But Momma had raised two good kids – well, kind of good in Donny’s case – and she’ d been a good, loving mother. Whether a demon was in her or not… And she knew there were all sorts of demons that just got on with their daily lives, never even making their presence known in the world. Let alone hurting anyone.

So if someone was slicing up anyone they thought was a ‘demon’, anyone they thought was different to them… Where did it end? Call it medical research, call it something to help with the defence projects or whatever was going on. She didn’t see that as any different to the worst excesses of the last century, when one group of people with power had tried to wipe out anyone who was different…

Lots of demons were just like regular people. She knew that, she assumed Willow did. So where could ‘they’re just demons’ come from?

Maybe because here, on a Hellmouth, all the demons that Willow met were trying to cause trouble, hurt her friends or to rip reality asunder. That could influence your thinking, she was willing to concede.

But that didn’t make that sort of statement right. Or mean it should be allowed to pass without argument.

“They’re not only anything,” Tara said to the door, knowing that Willow was right outside it.

“I didn’t mean - ”

“Wh-What did you mean?” A Rosenberg thought that way?

“What? Tara, I don’t want to fight about this.”

“We’re not fighting, Willow, we’re not, I promise you. But I want to know, I need to know what you think about… well, anyone who’s not quite a normal person.”

“What’s normal?” Willow asked.

Good question. Great question.

“I mean, I’ve been an outsider all my life. I’m a ginger Jew for goodness sake, it doesn’t get much more unusual than that. Then I’ve been a geek, a nerd, a groupie and hung out with a girl who kills vampires for a living, but doesn’t actually get paid for it.

“I’ve found out I can do magic, without rituals to power them, and now… I’m in love with a beautiful woman who apparently will make me talk to a door if she gets upset with me. So… you tell me, what is normal?”

Tara opened the door, letting Willow look at her. She wasn’t crying, she hadn’t been. She’d come here for… her room had always been a private space, somewhere no one else went. Now… it was a space that belonged to them and rightly so. Which left this space as the best she’d been able to do.

But no, they weren’t having a fight. This was just…

I’m disappointed. Disappointed that she doesn’t watch for her words like I do. Disappointed she feels that way… Terrified of how she’ll feel about me when she finds out what I am. Afraid of what happens if I can’t make her understand before then.

“Normal is… I don’t know, I don’t think I should’ve used that word because I don’t even know what isn’t normal.”

“I knew what you meant though,” Willow said. “I was just… I didn’t like to be called on something I shouldn’t have said so I turned into something about you and I shouldn’t have done. I’m sorry.”

“I – I already told you,” Tara told her, “we’re not having a fight, Willow. You don’t have to apologise.”

“Well, I want to but… not here. Can’t we go back to your room and I’ll say I’m sorry?”

Smiling, Tara let Willow lead her back there. The apology wasn’t overly sensual, not at all. Neither of them seemed to feel like that, though the way Willow had put it had suggested that maybe she’d been thinking that way.

No, it was a calmer, simpler apology. Being close and intimate without the need for much in the way of caresses, removed clothes or kissing. With her forehead pressed up against Willow’s while they lay on the bed, there was no doubt just how penitent Willow really was.

Could she forget what had been said? No, it was one of those things that had already been haunting her on and off. The more she got invested in Willow Rosenberg, the more she had to lose and the more she was afraid of it. But the compensations and the distractions of the life they were living now, students, (almost) lover and hands of the Goddess was more than just a distraction.

“Is that still going?” Tara asked a little while later.

“Huh?”

“The computer – I mean the iBook?”

“Oh – damn it!” Willow darted from the bed – all jiggly - and went back to the computer but… lost her sense of concern. “Still downloading,” she said, relieved. “Whatever was going on in the real world… they’re still going that way.”

“If they were coming for us, they’d be here,” Tara said. “I mean, I guess. It’s not like we’re far away. So… it’s not you that tripped an alarm and they haven’t found what Ethan put in their system?”

“Looks like it,” Willow said. “I suppose we… we better get dressed.”

Tara nodded, already taking steps. “He’s out of his cell, but he’s not sent us a signal yet,” she said.

“So what’s he doing?” Willow agreed. “And have you seen my bra?”

Tara leaned over, following a touch of black at the edge of the bed. Apparently, somehow, it’d gotten shoved down the back of the mattress. “Here. And… I don’t know. I’m new to all this.”

“Me too,” Willow said, putting it on “Usually we just see things get stabbed. I’m not usually braless during that though. But the computer work’s familiar ground.”

“I-I don’t know, but I think there must be something in all this,” Tara peered at the computer and the blinking light on the hard-drive as more and more was downloaded to it. Like Willow had said this must be too much for the government to have faked just for them, which meant that it must be real which meant… they could find out a lot of what was going on, right?

If they could ever get all through the documents. The count showed hundreds of thousands of files. Was that right? What were they supposed to do with it all? How were they even supposed to start?

“You’d think,” Willow said. “There’s so much though that I’ll have to try and find some way of filtering it down. Either that or we get everyone we know to sit and review the documents for as long as it takes. Ooh, tag.”

Willow tucked a tag in for her while Tara considered her words. It was a possibility and as such she didn’t rule it out. Of course the ‘everyone’ would mostly be composed of Willow’s friends, maybe some of the people from the Wicca Group, the ones who’d proven to have some power of their own? A reason to be afraid of this… Of their own government?

Diana? Probably not. Sitting around reading plainly wasn’t her style. More likely the dogs than her.

Once they were both dressed and had found themselves almost kissing once more, a second beep marked… what?

“What’s that?”

“Drive’s full.”

“What does that mean?”

“It means we got more, waaay more than I ever expected and there’s more stuff here than we’ll get to look at in a month of Sundays. But, bright side, it doesn’t much matter when they find the USB now at least apart from the direct access it gives me.”

“Okay… and Ethan?”

Willow slipped into the chair before the desk. “Well, now everything’s downloaded let’s see if we can find a way through the system… Damned alert’s flagged all over the place, from security through to the janitor’s office.”

“Security sounds like a good place to start,” Tara said.

“You’d think, but that’s also the place where you run into the most problems and are more likely to get cut off. On the other hand janitors, kitchens and the like… They often have to know things about buildings and people in them that give away the same info without being protected or trip-wired. Look, see…”

“What is that?”

“I think it’s the kitchens. They’re feeding… wow, dozens of people who aren’t going down to the canteens. Now, I say people… Look at some of these ingredients. I mean… It’s one thing to find roaches in the kitchen, it’s another to be preparing them.”

“Eww.”

“Exactly and, don’t look, that’s not the worst of it.”

Okay, she was definitely willing not to look.

“But, yeah, but in the same area they were providing oatmeal, grilled cheese and… pasta, just for the last few days, two days. No menu variation, but sounds like a meal for a human to me.”

Tara couldn’t argue, instead she put her hand over and squeezed Willow’s. “Well done, honey.”

“Oh, I’ve not done much. Yet. But see, if we cross check where the meal was supposed to go with the floor plans and then we’ll know where he was at least and then we take a look… door’s open. He’s out.”

“I’m impressed.”

“You should be. As long as he was actually the grilled cheese boy.”

“I’m still impressed, whether he was or not.” She nuzzled up to Willow, just to demonstrate. It seemed to satisfy her too.

“Now,” Willow said, “what we need to do now is figure out where he is now. I mean… just because he’s not in his cell doesn’t necessarily mean he’s okay.”

Tara pursed her lips, she hadn’t thought about that. With enough freedom to cause the computer infiltration she’d just assumed that Ethan was – at least – on the run.

Naturally he could’ve been caught, he might never have been free, just having a split second to slip the USB from one slot to another. And again with the eww.

Or he might already be dead, but… that seemed unlikely. Would he really have so little time to react that he couldn’t have asked for their assistance? They’d made very specific arrangements before asking him to go down there, surpassing anything Diana had suggested should happen.

From her point of view, if Ethan was going down there then there had to be a way to get him out and yes, it was theoretical and it was going to be difficult but… they could do it.

She chose to believe that. She and Willow had touched on more spells since the ones with the rose and by now they were experts at reaching states of calm – through which the power flowed with ease – very quickly. That was, after all, what Diana’s lessons had been about.

And now they had a purpose where as they hadn’t before.

“I think we should get ready,” she said. “Just in case.”

“We’ve been ready for the last two days.”

“No, we’ve just been here, together,” Tara corrected. “I don’t know, I just think… I think he’ll need us to get out of there soon.”

Willow looked up at her, then nodded, accepting it and they both moved to sit on the floor, facing each other with their hands linked together. Without needing the words that Diana used, their breathing moving into synch, slowed and yet didn’t starve them of air. Instead their heart rates eased to match and Tara was aware, even though she was pulling back from the conscious world, of how much closer they were.

Plucking a rose like this, they wouldn’t be aware of the beauty, but they’d have managed it flawlessly at its most complex and never even notice the effort. Or even a dozen on them all at the same time.

And they needed it.

Time passed without notice as they sat there with each other. Being one. And then the surge of alarm that was rooted in the limited power Ethan was able to manipulate was real and urgent. He couldn’t have summoned their assistance without true urgency and danger if he wanted to, they’d tried, but now she and Willow were instantly aware of it. Her awareness of the need to prepare seemed to be prescient, but now with Willow they were focused on what they needed to do.

Snatching Ethan Rayne from the jaws of danger, possibly death.

That this was theory and book learning, never tested by either of them, had vanished in the calm. Even though she understood it very clearly, or rather they did, it absolutely didn’t matter.

The presence of Ethan was with them. Not knowing to know where he was in a physical sense, they had a grasp on him in the metaphysical side instead. The location came from Ethan himself, his sense of self and his perceptions of placement. The mind and the body could not – usually – be separated and the connection between those elements would pull the soul along with it.

No words were required, no look between them. No ritual ingredients, just the force of their will combined and twisted to bring Ethan…

Here.

Chance in *Chance*

Post subject: Re: Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda - CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE - 12/12/1
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:37 am 
9. Gay Now

Dibs!

Heehee!

I was waiting by the keyboard.
I'm such a geek.

edit:
Dammit! this is the third time I've typed this for one reason or another.

I posted and ran because i got the email message of a post just as i was leaving for work.

Story:

I like how willow know Xander well enough to predict him so well.
It's kinda heart-warming how close they are.
And funny how predictable he is.

I liked how Tara put her foot down.
Quote:
"They have to be stopped.”

Awesome. i love her quiet strength.

and it's sad how willow inadvertently hurt Tara, though it does neatly highlight the black and white world that they live in.
What do they do with a murderous, evil human?
What do they do with a kind Demon? Lorne springs to mind.

looking forward to more thought-provoking story.

Keep up the good work.

Last edited by Azirahael on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:50 pm 
23. Volumey Text

That's a little weird, Hee! Waiting to get dibs and then going back to your life... LOL.

Hope it was worth the dibiness!

Enjoy when you get chance :laugh

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:05 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

I don't like to see * read * Tara hurting. Willow has zero idea why her statements are hurtful. But, they are hurtful all the same.

How on earth will Tara be able to keep her false heritage secret to herself until season 5?

I like the Ethan working for Diana twist. He's a wanker. But, he's always entertaining and you write him so well.

With Spike blowing in the wind, this was a fun way to get the info they needed about the experiments that were going on inside the initiative.

How many more updates before Faith makes an appearance? I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the big "O" scene after Willow's admission that doing magic with Tara was near orgasmic.

Great stuff.....more soon!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:13 pm 
23. Volumey Text

No big reply from me now, but when I do that I will also pull together a timeline of what parts are equivalent to episodes in this season. You know what is coming in broad terms and I can't remember so it will do us both good!

I also hope to put the bonus 'Meet the Rosenbergs' part up this weekend...

I will go into your feedback the too, but for now - thanks!

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:49 am 
5. Willowhand

Topics: 6
Oh Willow. Oh Tara. Communicate, darlings. Just...sit down, talk about your fears, etc. You guys...

And ooh, a Rosenbergs bonus? Can't wait to see how you tackle Sheila. I honestly don't think I've seen you write her, as in Sidestep she's kinda....gone.

"Friendship is obviously magic. Love is a sorta super strong friendship. We gay people love so hard we broke 'Social Norm'. Ergo, we gay people are ultra-strong wizards."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:05 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
Well this is the most likeable Ethan Rayne ever! Did you ever notice in season 4 it's the little bads that figure out W/T on their own and the Scoobies have to be hit with a cartoon sledgehammer? Faith and Spike clue in right off but the others don't get it at all.

I feel for Tara over her feelings being hurt about Willow saying it's just a demon and such but at the same time, if you keep a secret that would not be a natural assumption, someone could hurt your feelings accidentally. I mean it's one thing to not tell someone you're adopted or a natural brunette or had a boob job or something and they say something offensive but not telling someone that you're a demon who may or may not become a full demon at age 20 is sort of out there.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:47 am 
5. Willowhand

Another fabulous update!
Ah, the girls are reaching the breaking point of being public... I can feel it, it's sooo close. In the spirit of telling people what they need to know, I hope Tara comes to her own confession with Willow, sooner rather than later. Alas we shall see.
Also, I'm amused by inner turmoil of the hotness of the Tara and the naughty thoughts it's cute in a "just keep your pants on, even though you don't want to" kind of way.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:44 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Hey all, thanks for all the feedback. Before I get into that... news! 'Meet the Rosenbergs' is completed and ready to post. However I don't really just want to drop it into the middle of an ongoing scene so what we'll do is find a natural break and I will post it then. The concept is that this is Tara meeting the Rosenbergs but NOT necessarily at the point I post it. It's really a floating scene that could've happened anywhere as I might well have referred to meetings etc elsewhere in the text and don't want to go back to hunt that down...

However, for the impatient amongst you, I've just drawn up a summary of the rest of S4 in terms of chapters versus episodes so you can see - broadly - when things are coming.

I'll post that right after this feedback reply.

Azirahael - It's one of the things that surprised me in writing this. Xander, Buffy etc... I'd been down on them for (what I understand was - because I never watched it - their lack of response to what happened to Tara) I was so down on them that - in Sidestep - I killed them. All of them.

Then I came here and fully intended to ease them out of the story... but somehow, it's not missing scenes, it's not S4 if they're not there. And I didn't really want to rip everything up. Besides I've had fun with some characters and you need Xander (who I find least to do with) to have Anya who is much more fun. But yes, I've been enjoying that...

Long term readers of mine will know that I always give Tara the quiet strength and I think it's absolutely there in canon, TBH.

I'm surprised at the response to what Willow said. I think we're all super sensitive about Tara's feelings, but I like how JustSkipIt put it on the same subject. It was inadvertent. She didn't mean it and had no basis for believing it was doing anything to Tara... Once again though, readers take different things to what the writer intended and that is all part of the fun!

You raise interesting points though because I've pulled in more of the demon set up from Angel. In Buffy demons were just bad. Period. In Angel they weren't always. They could be an underclass or even heroes. I've brought a little of that in in terms of what Tara knows of the demon world (and Ethan) but I never quite took it as far as would've been interesting... Maybe when I leave her as a demon in Family we can get into that :D

Thanks for being provoked!

Grimm - Oh, I know what you mean... but it all links in with what I referred to above. I think if we'd been in Angel here rather than Buffy, the statement would've been worse and I think maybe we all bring more of that show's sensibility to this one which is why it seems worse.

How will Tara keep her secret? Same way she did...

Ethan is just so much fun to drop in from time to time and I am not sure YET that you can really realise what I am doing... I hope you will think it's cool when it gets obvious!

How many more updates? See the summary in the next post... Everything flows, time wise, so you can read between the lines. Though not everything is actually covered.

Thanks so much!

Faolan - Oh, they're doing other things rather than talking :) But they will...

As for Sheila, she was kind of fun. But she has her own agenda... A fun one to speculate on... I think!

Thanks

Justskipit - I've already referred to your thoughts above and won't repeat myself, but I do very much agree with your conclusions about why you can't hold it against someone if they've not told you something and they say whatever about that...

Ethan? Yeah, he's a hoot to play with. Though my past experience writing him has probably shaped how I am showing him here. The only thing I keep in mind is that he's working for his own ends. I genuinely thing, in canon, that he'd work with anyone where it suited him. And betray them in a heartbeat if that suited him...

And you are certainly right about the 'figuring them out' thing... I think my favourite example has to be Faith. One look. One LOOK and Faith is right there, getting it. Yes, we'll be coming back to that :)

Thanks! By the way, always loved your AV!

Missocki - Thanks so much! I've already kind of said it, but Tara will be keeping her secret... I know, I know... but she has her reasons and I do want to - kind of - parallel canon in most ways. Which isn't to say that it won't all work out better (which is what lies behind the name!)

I'm really pleased that you're amused by the 'delays' to their going to another (physical) level... why? Because it could get really dull and repetitive! It's coming, but if you look at the plan in the next post I am sure you can pick out when the perfect moment will be... Stick with me that long!

Thanks!

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:45 pm 
23. Volumey Text

The Canon vs the Chapters.

I also promised that I would lay out a breakdown of what chapters related to what episodes up to the end of season 4. I’m not going to go episode by episode, but you can take it that what happened in an episode will (broadly) be the theme of the accompanying chapters and that anything in between also would’ve happened.

Chapters 38 to 44 – ‘This Year’s Girl’ and ‘Who are you’ (which I just run into one long section)

Chapters 44 to 48 – Between episode scenes…

Chapter 49 – Superstar – Just one chapter for that….

Chapters 50 to 58 – New Moon Rising

Chapters 59 to 60 – After NMR

Chapters 65 to 67 - The S4 Big Bad finale…

Chapters 68 to 69 – Season 4 end… Definitely NOT Primeval.

Chapters 70 to 73 – The summer between S4 and S5

Chapter 74 – Start of S5 at the point shown by ‘Buffy vs Dracula’

Anyone who wants to stop after S4, I’d recommend staying up to and including chapter 74 because it’s all good, it’s all nice. Then we get into paralleling S5 and all the stuff happening there…

Chance in *Chance*

Post subject: Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda - CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR - 12/15/12
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:01 am 
23. Volumey Text

Title: Tara and Willow – Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda – Chapter Thirty-Four
Summary: The aftermath of pulling Ethan out of the Initiative.
Notes: Wet Towels… Okay, the science is obviously ridiculous but it worked in Total Recall. I was struggling to come up with an homage to Sharon Stone – yum – in that movie, so… wet towels was the best I could do. Maybe I should’ve gone with the exercise gear but Ethan would’ve just looked silly, right…?

Waking up to Ethan Rayne was… no fun. How many women had that belated realisation? Too many, she was sure. Luckily the cause was very different for her.

Oh, and… “Ouch.”

“Careful,” he said, sounding better off than her, “you must’ve put a lot into that.”

“Tara, where’s Tara?” And why hadn’t those been her first words? Why ‘ouch’?

“She’s here,” the Englishman said and somehow, despite who he was, it sounded that little bit more reassuring just because he was English. Maybe she’d been conditioned into believing that by a certain other Englishman. “She’s just come around too. Here, take this.” He pressed facial tissues at her.

“What?”

“For your nose, it’s bleeding.”

“Umm…” That wasn’t good. Nose bleeds weren’t good at all. “Tara?”

“Here,” a slightly muffled voice replied and Willow tried to sit up, swooned and then thought better of it. Tara was holding tissue to her face too, she’d even torn some pieces off and stuck them up there.

Two nosebleeds.

But then they had, almost, been a part of each other during that spell. Shared consequences… “Somehow that didn’t feel as good as some of those other spells,” she said, reaching for her girlfriend’s hand. It’d feel better if they could touch, right?

Couldn’t feel much worse. And was the room spinning or was she?

“You were interfering with the natural order of things,” Ethan explained, “that makes it different.”

Yeah, she remembered that part. The more you messed with the natural order and the laws of the universe, the steeper the price that you paid. So finding something that was lost or plucking the petals off a rose could even feel good, but when you were teleporting someone from one place to another – and especially when it wasn’t you – the universe just ‘knew’ that wasn’t supposed to happen.

Of course, knowing that theory and coming up with some sort of intelligent reply was an entirely different thing at the moment.

“Oh,” was about all she could manage.

“Help me,” Tara said and Willow was sure that she must be speaking to her, but then Ethan was the one helping her to her feet, as was Tara. And yes, as they touched, she did feel just a little better.

“Ohhh… I’d be better down there,” she said. That was an honest to goodness swoon, right? And not for good reasons.

“No, sweetie. Lie on the bed.”

“That sounds nice. That sounds… very nice. Drugs sound even better. Do we have any drugs?” Legal or otherwise. With this pain, she’d try whatever was around.

“Won’t touch it,” Ethan promised her with some authority. “You can’t treat a consequence of violating the natural order with something artificial. It’s like nature’s just got it in for you. Trust me, I know. Even if I never managed anything like that. I have to say, it may have been the plan, but I’m impressed all the same.”

“We did it?” Willow asked, figuring it was a stupid question even after she’d asked it. He was here wasn’t he?

“We did it,” Tara said, fretting over her even though she had to be feeling just as bad, if not worse. The surge of power felt to have come from Tara’s side of the gestalt.

“Ethan’s in your room,” she said.

“I know.”

“Yes,” Ethan said, sarcastically. “That’s the most that you have to worry about. Man on the floor and all that… If you only knew how many girls’ college dorms I’d actually been in.”

“Eww.”

“What did you mean ‘worry about’? What did you find out?” Tara’s question brought them back to the purpose behind all this… pain.

“Something’s on the loose. It’s broken out of the Initiative facility, several other denizens escaped at the same time, but the lead researcher is dead – a Professor Walsh.”

“Professor Walsh?” Willow asked. “I know her – she – she teaches one of my classes.” But addled as her brain was right now it hurt to try and remember the name of it.

“Well, it might lack decorum to speak ill of the dead, but the woman was plainly a bitch.”

“That’s not nice,” Willow moaned.

“Neither was what she was doing, I assume you got something from their computers after I carried that stick around for far too long?”

Computers were her thing, she was expected to provide and answer so she nodded her head. Big mistake. Everything went ouchie and the next thing she knew Tara was telling her to lie still. “We saw,” she gasped through the pain. “Could you get me some water? Both of us – we both need some water.”

Appreciative enough of his escape as he actually must’ve been, Ethan managed to do what she asked without actually making any sarcastic – or caustic – comments.

“It’s much worse than I’d heard,” he said, taking a seat and looking at them.

Amongst the last thing she’d have said she wanted in this whole world was some guy, least of all this guy, looking at she and Tara while they were on the bed. But it seemed like too much effort to make the point and besides, it might be safer to have someone around who wasn’t suffering a colossal mental overload.

Note to self, teleportation is not a tactic to be repeated.

“Can we talk about this later?” she asked. Like when it wasn’t a suicidal move to lift her head to take a sip.

With a long sigh, Ethan seemed to agree. “Later then, in the meantime I’ll seek the counsel of the Goddess.”

“Cool,” she said absently, reaching for Tara’s hand.

When the door clicked, that was the first time she had the energy to think about what they’d done. “Was it worth the pain?”

“It has to be.” That was all Tara said.

-----------------------

Banging on the door woke Tara up. Not just her either, Willow was there with her and she was the one who gave the little yelp as she came back to consciousness.

And it wasn’t the first time. Tara had always found how Willow woke up… cute. Along with the things Willow sometimes said at that moment she was crossing the bridge from her dreams to the real world.

“What’s happening?”

“I don’t know,” Tara admitted. But, mercifully, some sleep – it looked like it was getting dark outside – seemed to have helped with the hangover from the teleportation spell. The price… ouch.

“Whoa!” Willow said, as she was about to open the door. “This is Sunnydale. We don’t just open our doors. The more urgent the knock, the less likely you should be to just open the door.”

“This is Sunnydale,” she said, turning Willow’s own argument against her. “Anything that wants to come through that door, pretty much can.”

“Except a vampire.”

There was that banging again though and a muffled voice. “It’s Ethan,” Tara said, though why that was a reason she should open the door was eluding her. But after he’d risked his life and they’d pulled out all the stops to get him out of there again, there was some sort of bond between them all now. She opened the door.

The warlock pushed past her, into the room. “I’m being tracked!”

“What?” Confused, she looked out into the hallway, half expecting to either see Diana or some army guys charging down after it. After all who did tracking around here other than them?

“So you came here?” Willow cried out, rising from the bed.

“Well, excuse me for thinking we might have an alliance,” Ethan said.

“More like a matter of convenience. You’re being tracked so you shouldn’t bring them to anyone that knows you!”

“Well, perhaps I just don’t like - ”

“Enough, both of you.” If this was urgent then they needed to get with the programme. “They’re tracking you? How do you know?”

“Because they’ve shown up twice now, once while I was waiting for Artemis. I barely got away from that and then they picked me up again when I decided that hiding out could be combined with a good, stiff drink.”

“So again, you came here?”

“Willow, he’s here now. Move on.”

“This is a technical issue,” Ethan said. “They’ve injected me with something. I can feel it under my skin.” He rubbed his neck. “And much as I love the dramatic idea of slicing into my own flesh to cut it out both the location and a wariness of my own blood mean that I don’t really want to do that.”

“I’ll cut you open,” Willow offered, apparently making a serious offer.

“We have m-more immediate concerns,” she said. “Like, how long till they get here and can you do anything?”

“Me?” Willow asked.

“If it’s a technical issue?” she repeated as Ethan nodded.

“Umm… I don’t even know what it is.”

“Okay then,” thinking that maybe they could come at it another way to get Willow to shift from bitching at Ethan to thinking about the problem they’d have regardless. “What would you use?”

“Well, I suppose I’d be looking at a microwave transmitter in the range of - ”

“Okay, that’s enough but I have a better question,” Ethan interrupted. “How do you block it?”

She nodded. Yeah, that was the thing. She didn’t want army guys crashing through her door. Especially if they were pissed about their researcher getting killed by her own creation and… She and Willow needed Ethan. They needed to hear what he knew, reviewing those documents would take too long and not even tell them what happened most recently.

Also, busted door, she’d lose her security deposit.

“I… I don’t know,” Willow said.

“Baby, you do know.” One thing she was certain of was that Willow knew this stuff. All she had to do was get past the initial panic and –

“Wet towel!”

“Really?” Ethan challenged doubtfully. She was willing to take it at face value though.

“You want my answer or not? Wet a towel, wrap it around your neck – better yet your whole head, they may be using a filament aerial up into your skull.”

Really?” This time Ethan sounded quite horrified.

“Do it,” she said, pushing a towel at him.

“Do it,” Willow reiterated. “In the meantime, we need to think of a more permanent solution, but I’m still thinking that cutting it out may be the way to go.”

“Not using my towels,” she said, putting the lid firmly back on that one. She had enough of a lingering headache that she didn’t need the two of them bickering. Especially when she’d already seen enough of them together to know that they would. And with good cause, Ethan had done some not very nice things to Willow and her friend’s over the last few years.

He wasn’t likely to believe that amateur operations would be the best option.

“Get that towel wrapped around there,” Willow said. “Cover the neck up too.”

“You really think there’s an antenna… up here?” Ethan tapped his head.

“I would.”

Tara hesitated, looked at her girlfriend. “I think that might be the most disturbing thing I’ve heard you say.”

Willow shrugged. “Talking of disturbing, do you know… hmm, I need a big static charge. I need to overload whatever’s in there. Then it can be taken out at leisure and we don’t have to keep this towel wet. He’s dripping all over the floor!”

“That’d be a proper medical procedure,” Ethan said, ignoring her protests.

Tara nodded, definitely in agreement. All she had here was a spork anyway. Not exactly Mercy General.

“You’ll be asked some questions,” Willow said. “But I’m certainly not doing it. Giles might.”

“Let Ripper cut me open? Now I know you’re joking.”

“You look ridiculous,” Willow said while Tara turned her attention to her – meagre – collection of books on magic. Momma had never seen the need to teach her anything for creating a big static charge. Why would she? Just in case a man comes around with a transmitter in his head?

“And I thought I was the height of fashion,” Ethan said. “Now if we could just move this along.”

“Static charge,” Willow said. “I told you. You know anything for that?”

Ethan shook his head.

“Well, we could always run a mains electricity supply through you.”

“D-don’t even joke about that,” she said.

“She doesn’t know you like I do,” Willow said to him. “She still thinks there should be humane limits.”

“Thankfully we can see who the top in this relationship of yours is. Everything you’ve suggested so far had involved cutting or electrocuting me.”

I’m the top? What does that mean?

“Static charge,” Willow said, obviously exasperated. “If we could… wait, maybe we can… There’s another spell, one we tried the other night? There was… well, quite a charge in that. Maybe a modified version, boost the power?”

“It could work,” Tara conceded, not really all that certain. For all that her natural instinct was to plan the joy out of everything, Willow was obviously still good at snap improvisation when they were in a pickle. Witness the towel around Ethan’s head right now. If you had to look… It’d take ages to get dry too.

“Well, perhaps – with that decided – you might get on with it?”

“You know that power cable’s getting more and more - ” Willow was silenced by Tara slipping their hands together and squeezing a little. “Sorry, baby.”

“He’s done us a favour,” she said softly.

Willow’s face said that she thought it more likely he was helping himself than them, or at the very least jockeying for position with the Goddess that walked amongst them. But… she just nodded and turned to him. “Stay close,” Willow said. “I’m not sure of the range.”

“Not usually a problem for me in a girl’s dorm,” he quipped. “But clearly not a problem for you either, so I’m in good company.”

Tara shook her head minutely when Willow was about to retort once more. “Come on, let’s get this done. The floors getting wet too.”

The towel, hastily run under the tap here in the room, was draining down a man who already looked like he’d spent a few days in confinement and got roughed up at least once for his trouble. In fact, he’d looked somewhat pathetic before, now he was bedraggled too.

Altering their breathing, just they had earlier, Tara considered it essential this time. Though the spell was more about controlling the flow of energy in the room, Willow was right about the side-effects. But after the brutal backlash of the spell that had deposited Ethan back here with them, she didn’t think either of them was in any condition to try this without Diana’s relaxation techniques.

Fortunately the effort wasn’t so great that she felt so much as a twinge from her still throbbing head. It wasn’t a difficult spell, but – once again – they were doing it without the use of the ritual items that, when consumed, would’ve taken some of the consequences away from them.

“I think…” Willow said.

“Did it work?” Tara asked.

“Oh, I think so…” Ethan was looking at the pair of them and then Tara caught sight of them in the mirror.

“My hair!” Willow cried.

Chance in *Chance*

Post subject: Re: Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda - CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR - 12/15/12
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:30 am 
5. Willowhand

Yes! The ionized hair is back baby! Wish I could see Tara's hair that way...
So Ethan is out and so is Adam...Eep!
Surgery on Ethan rather than Spike, I like it.

This exchange is magic-
“Thankfully we can see who the top in this relationship of yours is. Everything you’ve suggested so far had involved cutting or electrocuting me.”
I’m the top? What does that mean?

Teehee.

Post subject: Re: Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda - CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR - 12/15/12
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:26 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Missocki - Who didn't love ionized hair Willow? Though I do think I have a moment in the future to top it. I'm pretty sure you'll appreciate it when arrives towards the end of the season :D

The fact Adam is out is - in the series - one of those things that never quite turned into a big threat for a while. I suppose because he didn't go charging around being big bad from minute one. The same here, cos we're mirroring that. On the other hand, I can't switch PoV to 'see him' so... the threat will just have to linger.

I honestly don't think it's something that would've occurred to Tara, being the 'top' or that there was such a thing. Or that there was a difference. I just don't think it'd occur to them. Of course, they haven't actually explored the concept yet... :)

Thanks

Chance in *Chance*

Post subject: Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda - CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE - 12/18/12
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:29 pm 
23. Volumey Text

This is a double update. Chapter 35 in this post and in the next post the promised bonus 'Meet the Rosenbergs'

Please make sure to read the notes in the latter, it's kind of important to the flow of the story!

Title: Tara and Willow – Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda – Chapter Thirty-Five
Summary: Willow admits to Buffy and Giles that she’s been working with Ethan and backs it up with what they discovered. Tara discovers a little of the lore from Diana.
Notes: Today’s music is Avril Lavigne, which I haven’t listened to in years.
So, during the writing of the first draft of this part we just crossed 100,000 words in the first draft (in 37 days writing) and we were barely half way through T/W’s episode arc in season 4. And… I still wasn’t certain where this was going. This is me when I do T/W (except in Sidestep where it all just clicked) I can just write, enjoy myself and follow the way that the characters want to go. Still, I was thinking at this point that we’d unravel much of the arc in S5. I’d put so much into certain things with certain other things expected to happen then that… yeah. This was where I realised that I was probably signing myself up to the longer haul and I originally wrote ‘Gosh’ against the note…
Thanks to: Those of you, you know who you are, who were pushing me to write T&W after I gave even the tiniest hint that I wanted to do so. As you’ll see from the note above, 100,000 words in just over a month needs motivation and you were a chunk of that for me. (That it’s since grown to more than 6 times that length is pretty amazing too!)

“I must admit I’m a little disturbed by this turn of events,” Giles said. He was pacing, something he almost never did. This was way beyond glasses-rubbing. All she’d had to do was mention the name and he’d been up that way and hadn’t rested easily since.

“I’m telling you as a courtesy,” Willow said and then realised how that must have sounded. “And because of everything we’ve done together. But… listen, it’s incredible what we’ve discovered.”

“By working with Ethan Rayne?”

“By working with Ethan Rayne,” she acknowledged. She’d already told him that, what was she going to do? Deny it now? She hadn’t exactly been happy about it herself but… Tara was right, the results did speak for themselves and nothing ‘wrong’ had happened as a result. The only bad here was a couple of nose bleeds.

But how had she gotten herself into the position where she was defending a choice like that and admonishing her friends for being pissed about it?

“And, of course, the man himself isn’t willing to show his face - ” Buffy said, idly rubbing the spot she’d had to get a tattoo removed.

Yeah, that had been Ethan’s work.

“He was saying something about being kicked in the nuts,” Willow said. She’d left Ethan - and Tara - with Diana and her hounds. And, thus far, she’d not really admitted to the part that the Goddess had played in this or – more particularly – Tara’s role.

“This isn’t what I had in mind when I suggested that you infiltrate the Wiccan Group that this so-called Goddess has made into her personal harem of - ”

“Harem?” Willow asked.

“Yes, perhaps that is a little strong,” Giles said. “I’m sorry. And inaccurate, if you believe everything that’s said about Artemis. But, frankly, you’re playing with fire, Willow.”

“Ethan Rayne was worried enough about what he’d heard to come here and see you,” Willow said. “I loathe him as much as any of you, except maybe you, Rip – Giles, but what we got from that… I’m sorry – I’ll say it again. You can’t argue with these results. I wish you could – I really don’t like - but on this we really can’t.”

“Big surprise, the Willster’s right,” Buffy said. “Now we know what’s going on down there, some of it anyway. How were we going to find that out without… I don’t know, seducing one of the soldier dudes and I don’t know about you but I don’t do seduction very well.”

“And Diana already had that done, for all the good it did”

“I do wish you’d call her Artemis,” Giles sighed.

“Why?”

“The Greek pantheon pre-dated the Roman assumption of its Gods by millennia. If you want to call her anything it’s - ”

“Diana, because running around calling someone Artemis in Sunnydale is just… weird,” Willow said. Besides, that was what Tara called her. What she’d called her.

“Let’s all just settle down,” Buffy said. “And think about what Willow’s saying.”

“Thank you, Buffy.”

Her roommate beamed at her, unusually grateful for the thanks. “I’m just one of nature’s peacemakers.”

“That or maybe Eddie’s teaching you to chill out?” Willow said.

“If there’s any teaching going on then… Honey, then I tell you, it’s all one way traffic.”

“Oh,” Willow said.

“What does that mean?”

“Just oh. Nothing but oh, we were talking about what we found out?” she suggested. So Eddie and Buffy was all one way traffic? That was a change from Buffy’s usual complaint that Eddie might be the one seeing the relationship that wasn’t there.

All change… and if only she knew the rest.

“I have to admit,” Giles said, inspecting some of the documents that she’d downloaded to her iBook to bring with her, “this is… remarkable. The scope of what they’re attempting…”

“Do we even know what they’re attempting yet?” Buffy asked, looking at them both.

Willow shrugged and looked to Giles instead. Had he spotted something? “I…?”

“I’m no expert,” he said. “But it’s the scope that impressed me, the sheer numbers of different demons, creatures and… essentially anything that we don’t consider as part of the natural world.”

“You sound like you admire them,” Willow said. It bothered her - as a girl who’d been threatened with being burned at the stake - that they’d taken and locked up Ethan.

Not because it was Ethan, oh no, there was a man who’d benefit from being locked up. But a general policy of arresting people who could use magic? The whole Wicca Group had reached that meditative state and there was nothing purely natural about that. And there were a few – including her and Tara – who could actually wield some serious power.

Maybe not on a Goddess level, but compared to the rest of them?

And Buffy too – what would the Initiative make of her?

“Not their methods, but the results… I certainly admire those. They must’ve added tremendously to the sum of humankind’s knowledge.”

“Humankind’s knowledge?” Buffy asked, peering over his shoulder. “Humankind’s ickiness, I mean, I’m the Slayer and even I think that’s just… eww.”

“Science can’t always be clean and tidy,” Giles said, just a little defensive.

“You’re right, that’s definitely not clean and tidy.”

“They are demons,” Giles pointed out.

I said that. I said that. And Tara felt the need to set me straight. So to speak. Or think… Not much of what I’m thinking is straight anymore.

“Maybe, but we don’t like animals being abused, even to save lives,” Buffy reminded.

“Speak for yourself, my parents both benefitted from medical developments that were undoubtedly tested on - ”

Willow was about to object, but it was Buffy who interrupted instead. “Please, that’s not what we’re talking about and… I don’t like thinking about monkeys with things stuck in their brains or… things like that.”

“Very well, we can leave the morals of it,” Giles said. “But I think we can all agree that what they intended is critically important in judging our next course of action.”

Our next course?” Willow checked.

“The next course,” he conceded. “I’ve been disturbed by our lack of… initiative on this matter for some time. Perhaps you saw what I did there?”

“Yes, we saw.”

“Well,” Giles said, obviously ‘miffed’ – whatever that precisely meant. “It has been disturbing. We’ve been reactive rather than proactive. That’s simply not the way that we’ve thought of ourselves for some time now.”

“To be fair, most of the trouble used to aim for Buffy anyway, maybe that’s what’s changed… Sorry,” she added the last part when she realised what she’d just said.

“No,” Buffy said, “that’s true. But you know what? I’ve been enjoying college. I’m one girl in all the world who got to grow up – from what Giles told us, most of them don’t. So if some Goddess wants to take over and keep things safe, I’m kind of okay with that. You know, if that’s really what she’s here for.”

“So you can go off and make Slayer babies with Eddie?” Willow wondered. “Oh, did I say that aloud?”

“No babies,” Buffy said. “Nooo babies. And you’re one to talk, you’re obviously sneaking out to see someone. So, come on. Who is he, Willow?”

A pair of English eyes turned to her as well. “I… went too far,” Willow said. “And I’m sorry. I’m sure there will be no babies.”

“It’d take a miracle…” she heard Buffy murmur under her breath. Oh, so that really was how it was.

“If we can try to stay with the topic at hand,” Giles suggested.

“Sure, I’m tropical,” Buffy said.

Willow grinned, once she’d have wondered whether Buffy knew what she was saying, now she didn’t even have to care. It was just funny in its own right. Unlike some things the context just wasn’t necessary.

“We’re not being proactive,” Giles repeated. “And that needs to change.”

“But it sounds like you want to join these army guys?” Willow challenged. “This ‘Initiative.’” A pretty proactive word when you came right down to it.

“I may not agree with their methods – and I don’t – or their deference to science,” he explained. “But it looks like they’re getting results. Between having this so-called Goddess and then also the Initiative on the scene things have been quieter than we’ve ever known them.”

“Results like having their lead researcher eviscerated?” Willow asked.

“I don’t want to know what ‘eviscerated’ means,” Buffy said, “do I?”

“Sweetie, if you don’t know then you don’t need to ask,” Willow replied.

“Sweetie?”

“Sorry… Buffy. But that point is right there, it’s a big, old honking point with neon all around it. Whatever they were doing, it got away from them.”

“You don’t know that,” Giles said. “And so they’re not Watchers, but I’m sure there’s plenty about them that we’d all like to see changed.”

“Ya think?!”

“I wasn’t looking for quite so much enthusiastic agreement there,” he said. “But the point remains. Governments have always recognised that the supernatural existed, but they’ve been reluctant to take on what they couldn’t understand, legislate or tax. This, to me, looks like an attempt to get to understand. Which is fitting, in this environment.”

Willow shook her head. “I don’t buy it. Those experiments… If it was all about learning then you’d see documents relating to complete physiology and the like - ”

“Which may exist, I’d wager that we’ve barely touched one tenth of one percent of them yet. Unless there’s something you’ve not told us?”

Absolutely, yes, there’s something I’ve not told you. But not about this.

“Uhuh,” she said. “I’m seeing something more consistent with what Ethan - ”

“A truly reliable witness,” Giles interjected.

“Said,” Willow completed.

“He’s got you there, Will. This is Ethan Rayne.”

“Maybe… but he suggested – to you – that the government was doing something under Sunnydale, that they were about to start a war. That dark things were brewing and – let’s remember this is worrying a man who worships chaos – that sounds like more than writing text books on demon physiology to me.”

“So what are you thinking, Will?” Buffy asked.

“I think perhaps they’re not just taking things apart – because ewww but maybe they’ve also put something together. A lot of these documents look constructive and not in an ‘I’d like to teach the world to sing’ way.”

“Put it together, you mean… like Frankenstein? Come on…” Buffy asked. Giles looked a little more pensive, as if he was giving it more credence. Ah, so she’d found something that might worry him? She wasn’t just being taken for a ride by Ethan?

“Don’t poo-poo,” Willow said to her friend. “I mean we’ve dealt with Dracula and the Wolfman. You’ve fought off the creature from the black lagoon - ”

Creatures, technically.”

“Exactly. And they were man made. They were a PSA for ‘drugs are bad.’ So is it really any harder to believe someone could be making a creature of their own? I mean… don’t look at this, it’s all kinds of icky, but it’s more like they were really focused on single elements of various creatures. Capability focused, even when they had other things that were dangerous about them - ”

“For which other documents and videos could easily exist,” Giles said. “Or the creatures may have been damaged during their capture or incarceration.”

Creatures? Tara wouldn’t have been too happy about that description.

But Giles seemed to be swinging back and forth. He didn’t want to believe because of Ethan’s involvement, but something about it seemed to ring true for him.

“Ethan said it,” Willow said. “He said, he told you that they were creating something.”

“You might not remember that,” Buffy said, “since you were drunk enough to enjoying his company.”

“Very amusing, I’m sure,” Giles said. “But I do feel the question has to be asked, since when did anything Ethan Rayne said count for one jot? Convenient evidence shows up to prove what he says?”

“Perhaps because it’s true?”

“Or perhaps he’s playing one of his games,” Giles reminded her.

“Since he put himself in danger to find out more,” Willow said. “Just for one minute, can we please just assume he’s right and figure out what that means? Isn’t that our worst case here?”

Buffy put her hand up, probably wary of being caught in their argument. Giles’ exasperation at her attempt to avoid getting in their way just ticked all three of them off. “I think it means that there’s some sort of Frankenstein wandering around. Like Willow said.”

She was thankful for the support, but only until Giles had to make his point. How could he not? “Actually, Frankenstein was the doctor, you’re thinking of the Monster. Most people think of it the other way around, but that’s hardly an excuse.”

“Well, excuse me, Roger Ebert,” Buffy said. “But I think I was pointing out that there’s some sort of glued together demon of many colours wandering around?”

“Probably not just wandering,” Willow said. “Chances are it’s a little pissed off.”

“Why would you say that?”

“Well, if you were made from cut up bits of other demons wouldn’t you be grumpy?” she reasoned. Seemed to make sense to her. “Plus there’s the part where the lead researcher, Professor Walsh, had been killed. She’s your real Doctor Frankenstein and look how that went for her?”

Giles considered what she’d been saying for a moment, seeming to come around to the dangerous possibilities. “These creatures never seem to be sweetness and light, I’ll grant you that – if we’re looking at the worst case, though I still hold out the possibility that this is a gigantic Ethan Rayne confidence trick. That could still be a worst case.”

“Let’s just go with the idea of Frankenstein,” Buffy said. “Okay, okay, the monster part.”

“I suppose an angry mob’s out of the question?” Willow asked.

“Generally speaking I think that’d be a bad idea,” Giles said.

She nodded. Having been on the receiving end of one, with torches no less, she wasn’t about to disagree. Crowd’s had a collective mind of their own that was much more easily twisted than any one person. “Okay, so we have Frank’s monster out there doing… who knows what? What do we do about it?”

“We?” Buffy asked. “You seem to be doing pretty well with the solo effort up to now, Will. Maybe we should all just take a vacation?”

If Giles had said that she might’ve felt that it was a pointed or even a sarcastic comment, given what had happened in the last few days, but from Buffy, sounding like she was full of admiration for what she’d achieved – even if it hadn’t really been just her achievement – it was a welcome sign.

Because coming here hadn’t just been about telling them what she and Tara had found out from Ethan and to show them what she’d downloaded. No, there was that very real question of what to do. Information was great, but only if it led to action.

So far they’d not found a blueprint in the mass of documents, even if they were totally convinced that the government people had been building something. And that they’d been keeping it a secret from most of their own people. The succubus had done its work well enough and yet no hint of this had come out.

Just more questions. Questions Diana had wanted answered.

And yet Ethan, listening to the underground rumours that must’ve come out of the same place, had known…

So what was this? They had information, it seemed unlikely they’d get more than they had now if only they could make sense of it all. But they still had questions.

“Well, I’m stuck now,” she said. “If something’s out there we need to find it, right?”

Giles nodded thoughtfully. “Generally I’d agree, but there’s a lot of ground to cover and – at the present time – we have no idea of the dangers this creature poses, nor its capabilities or requirements in terms of food or other sustenance.”

“So we have no way to anticipate it,” Buffy said. “I mean, if it was a vampire we’d know what to do, where to look. But if it’s not eating people, if it’s just killing them – and I can’t believe I just said ‘just’ – then we might not know where it’s been for some time.”

“It may even leave the area,” Giles said. “It might just want to get away, the deaths could simply have been its only recourse to force its way from confinement.” When the two of them looked at him sceptically he sought to defend himself. “Admittedly that’s not usually how things go for us, but it could actually happen.”

“This is Sunnydale,” Buffy said. “Home of weirdness.”

“I think that… Well, if it’s mad,” Willow said, “then I think it’d stick around and try and inflict more damage on the people that made it?”

“And if it’s just hungry then this place is like a supermarket with a desert all around it,” Buffy said. “Why do I live in a place where I have to assume that the monster wants to eat us?”

“And not in a good way,” Willow quipped, but that might just have been due to what else was on her mind. This, it would’ve surprised them to know, wasn’t the only thing on her mind.

“I’m quite sure there is no good way to be eaten,” Giles said absently, peering over his glasses at something on the screen.

She and Buffy just looked at each other. At least someone knew what she was talking about, if not exactly why. Buffy probably just assumed some sort of sexual frustration – something they might be sharing. She’d just have no idea about the source of it.

“Back to the topic, what do we do then?”

------------------------------

“What do we do then?” Tara asked.

“As ever, the hand of the fates will guide you, Tara.”

Tara shook her head, finally prepared to argue with Diana now. Ethan was actually bent in supplication to the Goddess, it seemed to amuse her to have him adopt such poses, devotion that she’d required from no one else – at least not that Tara had seen.

And it seemed to make him happy. He said it was good for his back and it was definitely better that than the other ways of showing his devotions that Willow had previously experienced. And barely lived through on one occasion.

“The h-hand of the fates hasn’t had any part in this so far,” she said. “Everything that’s happened has been according to your plans – umm - design, hasn’t it?”

Diana turned, unconcerned by the harsh words. Neither of the dogs moved, even though this was the first time that she’d seen them inside one of the campus buildings. It seemed that everyone was willing to cut the Goddess more and more slack… Or rather that no one seemed to notice anything that they didn’t wish to consider.

Perhaps it was all part of that collective delusion that Willow said the people of Sunnydale suffered from. That everything that was going on around them had either a perfectly rational and acceptable explanation – a sane one if you didn’t believe in the things that moved in the darkness – or that it could be safely ignored.

Why would there be a woman - who exuded enough power to be considered strangely beautiful - in a short robe, walking barefoot around the campus with two giant dogs? It was pretty unlikely to happen and therefore these people may have chosen to erase the possibility, and thus the reality, from their minds.

“Your actions, certainly.”

It didn’t really take Tara by surprise. Plenty of people before the first Goddess she’d ever met had had her do what they wanted over the course of her life. All it took was getting to know her, Beth had told her that. Get to know me and you know which buttons to push. But really, it takes no more than a nudge.

‘Nudging a button’? Why does that make me think of Willow?

“I’ve done the right thing,” she said.

“Without doubt,” Diana acknowledged. “Never has there been shame in doing my will. The clarity in what I see surpasses anything you can imagine.”

“And is that it? What you see?” Tara asked. “Or is there a reason behind it?”

“I… do not understand.”

Kind of telling, when you thought about it. “You came here,” she said. “You sought us out, I think perhaps because there were people who used your name or because - ”

“The devotion that your mother gave to me and to you was almost the same thing. You believed in me before you met me and now your belief is unshakable. That shines, an undimmed light even though your belief has shifted.”

“Shifted?”

“Your Willow,” Diana said.

“She… she’s not mine.”

The Goddess obviously disagreed. “Yours in body, heart and mind. Recall the clarity that I see with. And you are no different. You belong to each other already, one whole in two parts.”

Tara found herself smiling, because that was exactly how it felt too. But she wasn’t so far gone that she couldn’t recognise when she was being distracted. Flattered perhaps. Daddy had never been one for giving much praise. She’d been expected to do well at school, to get the grades and not to get into trouble. He hadn’t seen much point in praising her for what should just be happening anyway so she felt it, very clearly, when she was being credited for something that should just… be.

Like her and Willow. Telling her what she already – sort of – knew felt false… And it was serving as a distraction. Or so it appeared anyway.

“You came here for the Initiative,” Tara said, pulling them back around to the question. “Surely?”

“These…?” Diana sounded dismissive and Tara did wonder whether she’d made a mistake. Not about confronting a Goddess because… yeah, that almost certainly was a mistake. But about her assumptions, what had brought Diana here.

That there was a believer wasn’t it. There were bigger collectives of Wiccans even here on the West Coast, more belief – if that was what she wanted – but she didn’t tend to think that was it.

If a Goddess needed belief to exist then what had Diana been doing for the past few thousand years? Wicca was a relatively new creation in its modern form. Built upon older tenets, interwoven with the true knowledge that Momma had shared with her. But the framework, naming Diana and all… that was all something from the sixties.

So no, she didn’t believe that at all. Diana hadn’t popped into being when enough people were saying her name – or any of her names. She gave every appearance of unbroken existence all the way back to the days when one of those names was on the lips of everyone in the modern European world, and maybe even more widely than that if you believed in the concept that the ancients Gods and Goddesses – despite the names they were given – were nearly universal concepts.

Meeting the individual had shaken her from that particular belief though. She looked and felt real. She had dogs.

“The things they were doing - ” Tara said. She’d bought into the fact that Diana was here to prevent whatever the Initiative was doing. She’d been the one to send Ethan down there. She’d been the one to pull him to their side, to gather she and Willow to her – and the others – and give them the calm to use the magic that had pulled him back.

All of that could be traced back to Diana and now she was suggesting… no?

“Your people are never at rest, always doing, always creating and making war on everything that is other.”

“And you’d want to stop that?”

Diana laughed. “Not even Poseidon ever held back such a tide.”

Meaning that even she couldn’t stop people from doing exactly those things? And hadn’t been attempting to…?

“Then why…?”

“We are alike, you and I. There is something that we each want. Something we are willing to be patient for and something that is, now, within our grasp.”

Willow…

But what was it Diana wanted then?

“And what is it?”

“Is it not obvious?”

“N-No.”

“Consider where we stand,” Diana prompted.

Sunnydale? Creation – Willow said – of a man who wanted to be a giant snake demon and – eventually – had gotten his wish. Before he was blown to pieces. The college, perhaps? A later addition to the town, seemingly built on top of a government facility, there wasn’t much chance that the positioning of the two was any kind of coincidence, but Diana had shown no sign of actual concern about the things that she had decided were not to happen.

Or…

“The Hellmouth.”

“A curious name,” Diana said. “But it has had many across the ages.”

And it was what Diana was interested in. Willow had been right, everything and everyone that came here was drawn by the Hellmouth in one way or another. What Diana wanted with it was… unknown. But even though she’d never – entirely – trusted the simple word of the Goddess, now she was even warier.

“Why has it brought you here?”

“I would’ve thought it obvious,” Diana said. “But clearly your education has been lacking to this point. What you give title as the mouth of Hell has ever been the entrance to Erebus.”

“Erebus?” Tara asked. “But that’s the… underworld?”

“Yes. The Realm of my Uncle, Hades.”

Chance in *Chance*

Post subject: Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda - BONUS CHAPTER - 12/18/12
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:31 pm 
23. Volumey Text

This is a bonus chapter, please read the notes as they’re important to understanding the timing… Also, I’ve done a double post. If you’re a person who scrolls up from the bottom of the page and started here, you’re missing chapter 35 which is immediately above. (Some of you may not even have read 34!)

Title: Tara and Willow – Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda – BONUS Chapter – Meet the Rosenbergs
Summary: A moment out of time – Tara meets Ira and Sheila Rosenberg.
Notes: Okay, so this part is a direct result of feedback. You said you were excited to see it after Willow promised to take Tara to meet her parents. You said and I thought it was cool so I wrote it. This is the effect that feedback can have 
However this is a bonus part and shouldn’t necessarily be considered to have occurred at precisely the moment in the story that it’s posted.
Why?
Well, my memory is shocking even about what I have written but also I’ve redrafted up to chapter 98 as of this writing. That means that any reference to meeting the parents (past or future) is already in place. Actually, in first draft, the only reference to it after the first promise was after Family… It was one thing Willow hiding Tara from the Scoobies but promising to take her home and then NOT doing so? Especially after what happens in the S4/S5 summer break (which I have to keep reminding myself you haven’t seen yet)?
Umm no. Not going to work.
So this part occurs exactly when you think it should as a reader. Everything after part 98 will be amended, but other references to the meeting should be considered to pre-date this bonus part.
In terms of the writing, that meant that I couldn’t explore some themes as much as I would. For example the very end of this bonus chapter asks a question I won’t spoil here. Tara’s answer before Family could be very different to what it would be afterwards. But rather than ‘fix’ it in time, I wrote it so it works either way. The point is just to enjoy Ira and Sheila and the meeting.
So, anything in the main story that contradicts this is considered the ‘truth’ and vice versa. Just mentally move it to where you need it to be.
Long term readers of mine will be aware that Ira was a large part of Sidestep (or at least his shadow was after what Vamp Willow had done to Sheila), but I’d never had to write Willow’s mother. I didn’t go back to the episode she appears in so characterisation may be off but this is pretty much my take on what might happen.
Thanks to: The Kitten who posted to say they’d like to see this. Take a bow Kajun. You get a part written for you (but only because it was a good idea and an oversight in the story!)

“But are you sure you’re a lesbian?”

“Yes, Mom, I’m sure I’m a lesbian,” Willow said, trying to see through and around two doors back into the living room where Tara was with her Dad. That was the problem with solid objects. They got in the way.

Tara. Alone with Ira Rosenberg. How was that going to work?

And just after outing themselves as girlfriends. There were all sorts of ways that could go, some of them good, some bad and some really too close to call but… she couldn’t see or tell.

She’d had the summons to the kitchen though and being a dutiful – recently gay – daughter…

“But - ”

Willow sighed, exasperated more with her worries about how this would go than what her Mom had said so far. Yeah, she’d thinking about it much longer than it’d actually been going on.

“But I had a boyfriend before? But I was happy with him or thought I was – No, I really was. I was happy for a long time there. But I redefined what happy is when I met Tara and I redefined a few other things too. You probably think that if I liked penis then how could I suddenly not like - ”

Her Mom was stood there, peeled banana in hand while making a fruit salad and…

I said ‘penis’ in the kitchen.

To my Mom.

“Tara makes me happy,” she finished, refusing to apologise for that. Any other time, absolutely she’d have held back.

It wasn’t so much that Sheila Rosenberg wasn’t an advocate of speaking your mind – including the names of intimate body parts – but rather that she did it on her own terms and not, usually, in the kitchen with a banana in hand. It was a bit too on the nose as a metaphor.

“Please, put the banana down.”

Obligingly, still uncertain what to say, the banana went down.

“I - ”

“Speechless, Mom?” Willow asked, easing her aside and – perhaps just a little ritualistically – setting about the fruit with a knife to pare it into slices. “Yes, I apologise for saying those things, but why can’t you just accept that I’m gay?”

“Did I say I didn’t accept it, Willow?”

“You asked if I was sure, that doesn’t sound very accepting.”

“Well, I’m sorry but you dropped this on me from a great height and without any preparation.”

“Yeah… about that. I didn’t mean it that way but you were there and Tara was there and I wanted to just introduce you, but then I didn’t want to pretend she was something she wasn’t or pretend she wasn’t what she was. I didn’t want to pretend about her at all. So… I was open and honest. You should appreciate that. Right?”

“It’s how you were raised,” Sheila confirmed.

“But?”

“I – I don’t know. I think you can stop mutilating the penis substitute now though,” Mom said.

Willow looked at possible the thinnest sliced banana she’d ever seen in her life. Lots of cutting… “No, that’s not – its stress. That is nothing to do with the shape of – I mean, there are other things that shape and approximate size that I… still… umm… enjoy…”

“And that, young lady, is a detail I certainly do not want to know. I don’t think your friend Tara would appreciate it either.”

“Tara’s not my friend,” Willow said testily. “Tara’s… she’s my – my everything. Actually, she is my friend. She’s my girlfriend. She’s my lover – my lesbian lover. Yes, that’s it and she’s the woman I – and – everything. I said that already. But she’s not just my friend.”

“If you’re not going to set about that peach with the same enthusiasm,” Mom said. “Pass it to me.”

Peach now? Of course… it just had to be didn’t it? Fleshy, sweet and juicy. Covered with light fuzz and so soft…. Yeah, of course. It was like the culinary gods were conspiring against her through the medium of fruit salad.

Handing it over, she watched as her Mom set about the peach with some enthusiasm of her own. Quite brutal actually. Was someone else not missing the symbolism? Then the pit was free and thrown into the trash with some… vigour.

What next? The apple representing the original sin?

“I want you to like her,” she said. And that was the truth of it, she wanted her parents to be more than just okay with Tara.

“I’m sure she’s a perfectly nice girl,” Sheila said. “It’s not her you’ve dropped on us. It’s yourself, your new found homosexuality and – the whole thing. It’s a large surprise and you just expect me to be okay with it a few minutes after marching in the way you did?”

“We’re here!” she’d called. “We! I – I brought some – I brought – Oh, there you are.”

“Willow,” Ira had said. “You brought a guest?”

“I brought – I brought Tara. Tara Maclay. My girlfriend. My lesbian girlfriend because I too am a lesbian.”

Possibly it could’ve been handled with a little more sensitivity. Just a teensy bit.

“If I were you, young lady,” Mom said, “I’d worry less about me and more about your father. God only knows what he’s thinking.”

Yeah. That.

-----------------------

Tara sat on the side of the couch closest to Willow’s father, who was in the recliner just next to her. They’d arrived in the final quarter of a game that was just now coming to a close. Up to now, he hadn’t said much besides offering her a drink.

Water had been just fine.

It was… well, she’d been worried – obviously – and Willow’s guessing game about how this would go hadn’t really helped, even though she hadn’t stopped her from playing it. Then they’d arrived and Willow had outed them both in the most… unreal way.

After that a little small talk before Willow was taken away, marched into the kitchen by her Mom, leaving her with the formidable Ira Rosenberg.

The stories she’d heard justified the term. Formidable. So that had been nerve-wracking. Obviously.

But they’d just sat there. She’d crossed and re-crossed her legs. Fidgeted a little and then finally relaxed. Kind of. As much as she could. Because despite the silence, it wasn’t an oppressive silence. He was just getting on with watching his team lose. Which… probably wasn’t the best way to start out the evening either.

No, actually. It wasn’t the best continuation of the evening. The best start to the evening had come and gone when Willow – completely off plan – had blurted out the truth about them in her own, inimitable way.

And people thought she had trouble with her words?

“So, Tara…”

“Yes, Sir?”

“You’re a lesbian?”

“Yes, Sir.”

“Hmm.” There was a pause. “Working out, okay?”

“Yes, Sir.”

“Hmm.” Another pause. “Good.”

And for now, that seemed to be that.

-----------------------

“I get that it’s a surprise,” Willow said. “I do. I get that. But – really, is it worse than dating someone in a band?”

“At first sight, absolutely not. I couldn’t be happier that you’ve found someone who appears to be nice, polite and shaven.”

“How did you know – Ohhh… you meant?” The comment had been more about Oz’s facial hair than anything Tara was doing. Oops.

“Yes, I meant.”

For some reason, once again, she felt like she should defend Oz. Which was all kinds of crazy in the circumstances but… “Oz was polite.”

“The boy was all but mute.”

“But polite with it.”

“He was in a band, he didn’t see any further than getting his name into the hit parade.”

Hit parade? Really? “Tara’s not like that.”

“No, Willow, Tara’s a girl.”

“But she does shave, like you said…” Maybe she could get away with pretending that she’d been talking about legs or pits… But no, why should she?

Maybe because that’s not the sort of thing your Mom should know about anyone you were dating.

“It’s very quiet in there,” she said, once again trying to decide what was happening in the den.

“You arrived during the game,” her Mom supplied. “What did you expect?”

“Oh – But won’t that have finished?”

“Willow, I’ve spent close to thirty years – before and after we were married - indulging your father’s appreciation of that sport without coming close to watching a game or understanding its rules one bit better than when we met. It’s the one thing that, on TV, I leave entirely to him. There’s that and his fishing. I have no interest in either of them. You know better than to ask me if it’s finished.”

Willow had heard it all before, of course. Her parent’s relationship was best represented on a Venn diagram. There were areas of intersection – strong ones – that kept them together and interested in each other. But then there were large, divergent, aspects of their lives that were nothing to do with each other.

One way or another it had worked out for them too. Interesting model, she supposed, since she and Tara were still drawing up their own diagram.

“It is very quiet.”

“You’re worried your father will…what?”

“I don’t know…” Willow said. She really had no idea how Ira Rosenberg was going to react to what she’d dropped on them. Mom had been more predictable, this didn’t fit into her neat little ordered view of the world and she was struggling to adapt. No surprise there.

But her Dad… she had no idea what he was thinking.

------------------

“Montana,” Tara replied.

“Nice country,” Ira said. “Good fishing.”

“I guess.”

“You never fished?”

“Umm… no. It always seemed – No.” It’d always seemed cruel, putting a hook through a fish’s mouth, even if you were going to throw it back. Particularly if you were going to throw it back.

“You and I, we’ll fish.”

“Umm. Okay.”

------------------

“Mom, you know I’ve tried not being a lesbian. I gave it a good, old, college try.”

“If you call dating a musician ‘trying’,” Mom said.

“I never knew you hated Oz that much.”

“Hate him?” Mom asked. “Of course not! I didn’t hate him. I resented the fact that he was throwing away his talents. He was a good student, could’ve been a nice boy.”

“And that he was sleeping with your daughter?”

“I was hardly one to object to that.”

Okay… that was too much information. She’d known that her Mom had a little bit of a history – which made the thirty years comment more interesting when you thought about the math - but she really didn’t need it referred to.

“Call me what you like, Willow, but I’m not a hypocrite. If that boy had applied himself he could’ve been anything he wanted.”

“He wanted to be a musician,” Willow replied, wondering – for the nth time – just why she was spending much of this conversation defending Oz. On the other hand, overcoming general objections to her ‘partners’ might help with the specific ones that her Mom was surely going to raise about Tara.

But the musician argument didn’t go down well at all. Just as she’d expected.

“I suppose a young woman has to go on a voyage of self-discovery in college,” her Mom said with a sigh as she poured a not-inconsiderable amount of liqueur into the fruits salad. Enough, perhaps to start to call it a punch and certainly enough to raise the question of when it became an alcoholic drink with bits of fruit in it..

“This isn’t a phase, Mom.”

“That’s not what I said and stop judging me, Willow.”

“Sorry.”

“Thank you for saying so, even if you are still judging me.”

“I’m not!”

“I never suggested this was a phase, Willow.”

“You asked me,” Willow said, “if I was sure I’m a lesbian. I don’t think you want me to go through all the ways that I’m sure.”

“No, please don’t.”

Just for fun though – because fun was a sparse commodity here in the kitchen – she let them roll through her mind. All the things she – they – did that proved, conclusively, that what she knew in her mind was wired up all the way through her body. Every. Single. Part.

“She makes you happy?”

“Mom,” Willow said, willing to try one more time. One more attempt to get this through. “Tara completes me.”

-----------------------

Tara brightened as Willow walked into the room. She knew she did because Ira’s face showed her it did.

He’d just been telling her how he still felt about Willow’s mother, using that very word and she’d witnessed it first-hand. Even after as long as they’d been together, he brightened when his wife came into the room.

And now she’d done the same thing. Holding out her hand, Willow brushed hers against it as she passed with the fruit salad and took it through into the dining room.

“Too alike,” Ira said. “Neither would admit it though.”

“Really?” Tara asked, gazing towards the kitchen as Willow returned the other way. “I don’t see it.”

“You’d have to live with them both,” he said.

“Must be an experience,” Tara mused and then realised what she’d said. “I – I – I didn’t mean - ”

“No, you’re right,” Mister Rosenberg replied. “It certainly is an experience – but I imagine your experience is very different.”

Though he didn’t actually smile, she could sense the humour in what he’d just said. But how did you reply to something like that? Was she supposed to? What was the etiquette? Could she brush it off with a joke of her own, and if so how did she make it actually… well, funny? Or would that be rude, a privilege she hadn’t yet earned?

Or did she just ignore it? Which could also be rude?

And if she had to say something, something serious, then how did she get around ‘Yes, I’m sleeping with your daughter. I’m the one who did the practical part of helping her realise she was gay and we’ve been enjoying the practical side of things and debating just what counts as sex.’

On reflection it seemed better to keep all that under her hat.

“I love her,” she blurted instead.

--------------------------

“She loves me,” Willow said. “She just told Dad that she loves me.”

“She’d already told you that?” her Mom asked.

“Well – yes, but that doesn’t mean that I don’t like to hear it again. I mean – she just told Dad that…”

“They must be getting on well,” Mom said thoughtfully.

“I – I thought he’d have a harder time with this.”

“Why?”

“Well… he can be a bit of a – I don’t know – a stick in the mud.”

“Willow, why would you think that? What about your Aunt Kate?”

“What about her?” Willow asked, thinking of the relative she barely remembered and had emigrated… wow, when she was about ten? Was it so long ago?

“Gay as a stick,” her Mom said.

“That’s… descriptive.”

“Bent as a banana didn’t seem polite and I’m sorry, but I’m all new to this – call it another product of my daughter just dropping it on me with no warning.”

“No… I see what you mean,” Willow said, not picking that fight again when they’d just gotten past it. “Aunt Kate? Really?”

“You’re going to stand there and talk about her not ‘looking the type’?” Mom asked. “You, of all people? Though I really do fail to see why you cut your lovely hair off – was that a lesbian thing?”

“No… and no - but, I had no idea.”

“She was quite the… What’s the word? Player?” Mom asked.

Honestly, she didn’t know what the word was. But she got the idea. “Really? Aunt Kate?”

“Yes, your father’s big sister, Aunt Kate. Look at it from his perspective. He grew up with an older sister who – even in those days – made little effort to hide what she was. You should give him more credit.”

“I… I give him credit, I give you both credit.”

“But you didn’t think you’d mention this revelation until you came around with what we now know is your girlfriend? That just seems rude and inconsiderate, Willow. To Tara as well as to us.”

“I don’t get points for coming clean now?”

“I suppose that you hid that Oz boy from us for longer,” Mom replied. “And – at first glance, I much prefer your new… partner.”

“We call each other girlfriends,” Willow pointed out. “Or lov – Or just girlfriends, really.”

Her Mom raised her eyebrows. “Don’t worry, I won’t embarrass you.”

Sure, because that’s never happened before.

“You haven’t asked if I love her,” Willow said, unsure of what else to say.

“Willow, give me some credit for being your mother. I don’t need to ask. I just need to look at you.”

-----------------------

“And so, every Christmas, she sneaks out of the house to go to her friend Xander’s to watch this programme. This cartoon! As if I don’t know what she’s doing! And that boy – nice enough, a good friend, but dumb as a rock.”

Ira’s laughter was infectious and though she’d already heard the story, the way he told it had her rolling in the chair. He was… he was a big personality. But one that existed – quite happily – in his wife’s shadow.

Willow being a little like her Mom in that regard, she totally got it.

“You and I, Tara, you and I are the same.”

So the same, she realised, that they were thinking the same things at the same time.

“We both love Rosenberg women?” she asked, wiping the tears of laughter from her eyes.

“Yes! And here they are!”

“I see that you two are getting along,” Willow’s Mom said, carrying a tray of nibbles and drinks.

“Lovely girl,” Ira said. “You should keep her.”

“I intend to,” Willow slipped into the chair beside her, taking her hand and then giving her a quick kiss while she blushed. Yes, she was the outsider here. The curiosity and everyone was talking about her. “But you’re embarrassing her.”

“Nonsense!” Ira said. “Tara doesn’t mind, do you?”

“Actually - ”

“See!”

“Don’t fill up on these,” Mrs Rosenberg said, placing a bowl in front of them. “There’s a whole brisket for dinner.”

“Don’t worry,” Willow said. “My Dad does the roasting.”

“Worried – I wasn’t - ”

“She’s teasing you,” Ira said. “Showing off, just a little because she’s got a girlfriend. She did the same with that Ass boy.”

“Oz,” Willow said automatically.

“Whoever,” Ira said, waving it away. “Do you know that I couldn’t get five words out of him in a row. Not five!”

“Now you are embarrassing, Tara,” Willow said.

“Nonsense!” Ira said again. “Who doesn’t like to be told that they’re much better than the last boyfriend – umm – partner?”

And he was right, there was a thrill to that and to gaining parental approval. It felt like a big step.

At least to get one parent’s approval.

“You and I will need a talk, Tara,” Mrs Rosenberg said.

“Yes, Ma’am.”

-------------------

“I didn’t know about Aunt Kate,” Willow said to her father.

“She made a lot of decisions that my mother didn’t agree with,” Ira replied.

Tara had been marched out into the kitchen with Mom and she was just as nervous of that as she had been leaving her with her Dad. But that one seemed to have gone okay. Surely this one would as well. And it wasn’t like her Mom was really… vicious?

“But that wasn’t one of them,” he finished. “She’s older than me.”

Willow nodded.

“I must’ve been about six and she was older, sixteen by then. She looked after me when my parents were working and they worked all hours as you know, to get us on our feet here. I got up one night, went downstairs and she was there with a ‘friend.’”

She smiled. “Making out?”

“Honestly, I think perhaps she was a little further along than that, I’m sure you know how it goes but… I asked her why she was kissing a girl. I had no idea that kisses were anything but between boys and girls and even those seemed icky and gross to a six year old.”

“What did she say?”

“Not much, it was her girlfriend who did. I’d seen her a few times, with Kate, but she sat me down and explained it. To a six year old. And even though I thought girls my own age were icky, I got it.”

“What happened to her?”

“They were together for a few years, she died in a car wreck though. Not before she’d got your Aunt to see life a different way though. She wouldn’t be what she was without that girl and I know she’s never forgotten her. Mom and Dad didn’t agree with anything she did, of course, but that was them – their generation. Did you really think I’d – what? Forbid you from being who you are?”

“I knew it wouldn’t work if you’d tried,” Willow said. “But I was afraid maybe you wouldn’t approve, that you wouldn’t feel comfortable with Tara.”

“Probably not as comfortable as you do,” he said, giving her a hug. That was a rare enough event that it startled her and she pushed through that to revel in it. After a while though, she looked at the door through to the kitchen where Mom had taken Tara.

“Worried?”

“Uhuh.”

“Your mother has different ambitions for you, Willow. She’ll take a little while to get used to it.”

“I know and I know I probably didn’t handle this well…”

“You think?” he asked.

“Okay, I definitely didn’t. But… what are they talking about?”

“There will be things she wants to know.”

---------------------

“I want to talk about children,” Sheila Rosenberg said.

If she’d had a drink she’d have spurted it out and probably dropped the cup. As it was the best she could do was say “Umm – okay.”

“I want grandchildren,” Sheila said bluntly. “Or at least one. And that’s my only child, my baby, that you’re dating.”

Actually they were doing very little dating and a lot more ‘living life together’ but it didn’t seem like the time to mention it.

“Oh. Now?”

Sheila laughed. “Of course not. I’m not insensitive, Tara. Nor am I stupid. My Willow is rapidly becoming your Willow and if the truth’s told, I never thought she’d want children even when she was seeing boys. Her idea of the future never really included that. Maybe she’d have changed her mind later, but for some women later is too late. Now… there’s you too.”

Oh.

Ohhhh.

“It’s early days, of course,” Sheila said. “No matter what any of us want, things happen. But… she loves you, she told me that often enough and you look like you love her.”

“I do.”

“So… I’m asking because I’m not getting any younger. How do you feel about children?”

---------------------

“How was it?” Willow asked as they stood on the front door step.

“They’re both great,” she replied and paused to consider her next words carefully. “in very different ways.”

“They are characters,” Willow reminded her.

“Aren’t we all?”

“So, what did my Mom want?” Willow’s question was so casual that it absolutely wasn’t casual.

“Slick, Rosenberg.”

“I can’t help it – look, if she said something awful… She didn’t mean it – she probably just needs time to get used - ”

She cut Willow off. “She wanted to know if I wanted children. Because – sweetie – she really wants a grandchild while she’s young enough to enjoy it.”

Willow’s jaw had dropped.

“I know,” Tara said. “That was how I felt!”

“She didn’t ask you to get me to have children? What does she mean ‘young enough’? She’s only just turned forty!”

“No… she was wondering about whether I wanted to have them myself – as well as general children questions – she’s kind of given up on you, you know, bearing them.”

“Given up? I’m eighteen!”

“I must look like the better bet,” Tara said. Shocking as it had been, it was a valid question. Something they’d never really delved into because you didn’t, did you. Their age, in college and newly in love… You just didn’t go there.

Did you?

“She thinks I’m a lesbian because I don’t want kids?” Willow asked.

“You don’t want kids?”

“I didn’t say that, she thinks that – don’t you start putting words in my mouth too.”

“I promise, words are the one thing I won’t put in your mouth.”

“I should go back in there,” Willow said, but Tara took her arm firmly and led her away from the door.

“No?”

“No,” she said.

“So… what did you say? When she asked you?”

Tara just smiled and carried on walking.

“Tara?”

She kept walking.

“Oh, come on! You can tell my Mom but you can’t talk to me? Your lesbian lover?”

And walking. Willow was hurrying to catch up.

“Oh, this is in no way fair!”

Chance in *Chance*

Post subject: Re: Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda - CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE - 12/18/12
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:20 pm 
5. Willowhand

:bounce
Sooooo close to the Scoobies knowing about the TARA. And we are moving closing to the reasons behind Diana coming to Sunnydale. Lookie here at this thickening plot.

So many spicy talk lines to make me giggle You really after my heart, aren't ya?
Quote:
“I didn’t say that, she thinks that – don’t you start putting words in my mouth too.”

“I promise, words are the one thing I won’t put in your mouth.”

“I should go back in there,” Willow said, but Tara took her arm firmly and led her away from the door.

“No?”

Went right over Willow's head. Geesh. So happy for the Rosenberg meet. Thanks for giving us that! I'm assuming the girls still haven't been fully together at the point of meeting Willow's parents, right?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:13 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Heya Missocki - Scoobs already know about Tara... they just don't know about Tara and Willow :)

But we have to get to Faith realising before they do before they can know because that's just one of those moments :)

Spicy talk is fun, fun, fun! And very easy with these two and their inadvertent innuendo.

The question of whether they have been together at the point of the meeting... well, that's up to you and when you think it was. Originally it was written (accidentally) with references to summer between S4 and S5 in so... absolutely they were 'fully together' by then. I removed the overt reference to that when I realised that you all didn't know what had happened there! So this can happen anywhere. If you think it's before NMR then no, they aren't. If it's after that then yes, they are.

Entirely up to you :) Benefit of you all knowing the story (kind of)

Thanks!

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:52 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
I'm very behind on feedback for the main story but I wanted to drop a few comments on the meet the parents stuff. Seriously, possibly my favorite meet the Rosenbergs I've ever read. This is about how I've thought they'd be (perhaps with the exception of caring about the grandchildren since they seemed rather ambivalent about Willow but then grandchildren are less of a commitment). a. they're intellectuals and b. (and excuse the generalization) they are Jewish. There is no good reason why they should react with anger and pitchforks. Their discussion here is all appropriately why did you spring this on us and Oz was too taciturn and was wasting his life. All good points.

And here's the thing about your Tara. I have to say that when I watch s4 I feel like Tara is a bit... doormatty. Passive. But your Tara is sort of ... she finds power in her passivity. She has no need to argue or fight for what she wants. She just is. And there is tremendous power in that. And yes, I know that she is the ... what do you say devotee? high priestess? of a goddess. But I believe she would be carrying that power without having ever met Diana.

I guess that all says great interstitial piece.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:34 am 
23. Volumey Text

Wow, Justskipit - that was lovely and fulsome praise for what I always saw as an added extra and a bit of fluff, thank you!

I suppose that the (if it was at all reasonably written) it shouldn't surprise me that readers would get into it because it is one of those key moments in any life and any relationship, no less the girls. That lends it a sense of importance that a different 'bit of fluff' might not have had.

I take your point about the grandchildren thing, I'd never considered it. But I was working a little from life there as my SO's parents were just like that. Couldn't have been more down with it - or me - but it was a long time before those questions stopped. Subtle hints like magazine articles (in the days before they were on the internet) about just how that might happen... LOL.

You've picked up on the points I made sure to include. I've got precisely one character in this fic who is not cool with the lesbian thing and we've yet to meet her, by and large for T/W I never like to make that an issue, there's enough else to pick up on. (But in my wider writing it's something I gravitate to, go figure.) But they had to have some 'quirks' to justify their reputations and so... these. Seemed logical :)

I can see what you mean about Tara, though I hate to admit it, but I did make a very concious choice about Tara in this fic. Partly as a reaction to Sidestep where she was forced to become independent and action positive, but I didn't want her to be a doormat because that is no fun to write and she is the character I gravitate to and favour. So she maybe will get more of her share of successes, but more by helping others make those things a success. Over time, I think she will evolve on both of those lines.

Thank you so much again and you taught me a new word too!

I will probably post tomorrow and then take a break over Xmas while people are doing other things.

Thanks,
Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1085 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 37  Next